PDA

View Full Version : NFL considering eliminating kickoffs

gwallaia
12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
This story just won't go away.

According to TIME, Goodell recently discussed with Rick McKay, Falcons president and head of the NFL’s competition committee, a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-goodell-opens-up-on-letting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

Double Barrel
12-06-2012, 11:02 AM
There could come a point where they turn this sport goofy with rule changes to fundamental aspects of the game.

This could be that tipping point.

I doubt that owners will go for it.

TexanSam
12-06-2012, 11:10 AM

According to TIME, Goodell recently discussed with Rick McKay, Falcons president and head of the NFLís competition committee, a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/12/06/roger-goodell-opens-up-on-letting-the-chiefs-play-possible-rule-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

He's all about player safety except when he's not.

Rey
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM

According to TIME, Goodell recently discussed with Rick McKay, Falcons president and head of the NFLís competition committee, a radical rule change proposed by Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano. Instead of a kickoff, the team that scored would then take the ball on its own 30-yard line in essentially, a 4th-and-15 situation. In other words, they could attempt to keep their offense on the field and try to pick up 15 yards, at the risk of turning the ball over on downs; or they could punt.

So we could see games where an offense could essentially keep the ball the whole game?

What's easier..picking up 15 yards, or an onside kick???? :thinking:

gwallaia
12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
As goofy as this rule change proposal is, it would make for some exciting comeback opportunities. Imagine being down 21-7 with 1:30 to go and scoring a TD to make it 21-14 with 46 seconds left. You got the ball at your own 30 with a shot.

Stemp
12-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Going to renamed the NFFL

National Flag Football League

Rey
12-06-2012, 11:16 AM
As goofy as this rule change proposal is, it would make for some exciting comeback opportunities. Imagine being down 21-7 with 1:30 to go and scoring a TD to make it 21-14 with 46 seconds left. You got the ball at your own 30 with a shot.

Or they could just play pin the tail on the Donkey in the last 2 minutes. It's mostly safe and the wackiness would be sure to ensue...

Or how about a skills competition at the end of games?

They could just stop actually playing football and do football simulated activities...

brakos82
12-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Simulate it in Madden!

GP
12-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Or, and here's my idea which makes much more sense: Just give the other team the ball on their own 25.

College has made touchbacks to where it's at the 25, not the 20.

Teams will certainly be more likely to down it in the end zone and take it at the 25.

In the NFL, they could eliminate kicking but retain punting. All scores are TDs (6 points) and Extra Tries from the 2-yard-line (2 points). No field goals. No kickoffs. Less injuries for everybody.

The field goal days should die. No team deserves to win or lose on the leg of a guy who plays 0.345% of the game on Sundays. Your team shouldn't lose or win a Super Bowl on the leg of a guy who plays 0.345% of the game. Period. They impact games and they don't even do anything but kick. Think about that.

TexanSam
12-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Or, and here's my idea which makes much more sense: Just give the other team the ball on their own 25.

Teams will certainly be more likely to down it in the end zone and take it at the 25.

In the NFL, they could eliminate kicking but retain punting. All scores are TDs (6 points) and Extra Tries from the 2-yard-line (2 points). No field goals. No kickoffs. Less injuries for everybody.

The field goal days should die. No team deserves to win or lose on the leg of a guy who plays 0.345% of the game on Sundays. Your team shouldn't lose or win a Super Bowl on the leg of a guy who plays 0.345% of the game. Period. They impact games and they don't even do anything but kick. Think about that.

I'd have no problem with that. I'm not a big fan of field goals to begin with.

Rey
12-06-2012, 11:42 AM

Disagree.

That idea is bad. I like that after my team scores a TD I feel a bit of relief....

I don't want them to have to score 2 pt conversions just to stay in games. Offense is driving multiple times in the game, but because they failed to convert 3 or 4 2 pt conversions, but the other team converted theirs, we are now a TD behind? Because of a two point conversion?

I don't understand this take at all.

So what is your alternative?

You'd rather teams lose or win on a hail mary or a trick play?

I want to be able to kick a long field goal....I don't want to have to throw up a hail mary just to win a game where I'm 1 pt behind...

ThaJokaa
12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
This is just getting stupid

Double Barrel
12-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Or they could just play pin the tail on the Donkey in the last 2 minutes. It's mostly safe and the wackiness would be sure to ensue...

Or how about a skills competition at the end of games?

They could just stop actually playing football and do football simulated activities...

lol! Punt, pass, and kick competition in the two minute warning!! How exciting can you get??!

Exascor
12-06-2012, 01:17 PM
lol! Punt, pass, and kick competition in the two minute warning!! How exciting can you get??!Meh - someone could still get hurt.

Rock Paper Scissors!!!!!!

fiasco west
12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
How about this....

We just leave the sport alone? Find safer helmets and enforce and encourage safer tackling.

Showtime100
12-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Aah, let's don't keep score. Let's make it mandatory that all players play, and we need to make sure all players get a competition award after the game.

EllisUnit
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
WOW this is the dumbiest **** i have ever heard........If they do this i will no longer watch the NFL or buy NFL appearel. Its already bad enough with all the powder puff rules. This would stop me from caring. TERRIBLE idea. Why change a game that has been played this way and been successful for the last 100 years ?

****ing idiots :kubepalm:

Goldensilence
12-06-2012, 10:28 PM
Meh - someone could still get hurt.

Rock Paper Scissors!!!!!!

Rock might bruise. Scissors could really take an eye out.....and ever had a paper cut?!!!

Next idea.

Brandon420tx
12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Rock might bruise. Scissors could really take an eye out.....and ever had a paper cut?!!!

Next idea.

TBH I wouldn't mind seeing a fight to death where you had to pick between a rock, garden sheers, and a large woven paper bag

CretorFrigg
12-06-2012, 11:00 PM
As a former player that used to return kickoffs and punts, I find this extremely disappointing. At what point are you going to say, stop, this is still football?

Kickoffs are one of the most exciting aspect of the game. There's nothing more exciting than watching a kickoff return for a TD.

Thorn
12-06-2012, 11:10 PM
What a bunch of crap. If they are going to eliminate kick offs, why throw in all that other stuff? Just have the next team up get the ball on the 20. And don't let the players forget their flags, 'cause that would be cheating. :fingergun:

TexansBull
12-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Wondering if the XFL will make a comeback with the change to flag football...

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

brakos82
12-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Since there seems to be this clamor and fascination with "making it more interesting", let's put a series of 5' diameter Magic Circles on the field.

If an offensive player makes it to a circle past the line of scrimmage they get an additional 5 yards. Then we can add a 12th defensive player as a "Circle Guardian", whose only job is to cover the circles and block a player from getting into one, and a 12th offensive player as a "Circle Scout" whose only job is to try to move the Guardian off the circle. They won't be able to tackle, intercept, catch a pass or carry the ball. For easy identification by the refs they'll have a 3 digit number enclosed in a logo shaped like a Mario Brothers cap.

Maybe they could even add holographic projections for a special fan controlled 13th player earned by a team for every 3 magic circles gained in a drive. They could issue control boxes by lottery before each game.

gtexan02
12-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Simulate it in Madden!

Better turn off injuries first

ArlingtonTexan
12-07-2012, 06:08 PM
As a former player that used to return kickoffs and punts, I find this extremely disappointing. At what point are you going to say, stop, this is still football?

Kickoffs are one of the most exciting aspect of the game. There's nothing more exciting than watching a kickoff return for a TD.

I only play low level high school ball, but as returner and as cover that there were blindside/dangerous hits. Might just be my experience though.

Thorn
12-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Since there seems to be this clamor and fascination with "making it more interesting", let's put a series of 5' diameter Magic Circles on the field.

If an offensive player makes it to a circle past the line of scrimmage they get an additional 5 yards. Then we can add a 12th defensive player as a "Circle Guardian", whose only job is to cover the circles and block a player from getting into one, and a 12th offensive player as a "Circle Scout" whose only job is to try to move the Guardian off the circle. They won't be able to tackle, intercept, catch a pass or carry the ball. For easy identification by the refs they'll have a 3 digit number enclosed in a logo shaped like a Mario Brothers cap.

Maybe they could even add holographic projections for a special fan controlled 13th player earned by a team for every 3 magic circles gained in a drive. They could issue control boxes by lottery before each game.

Why not? :cow:

CretorFrigg
12-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I only play low level high school ball, but as returner and as cover that there were blindside/dangerous hits. Might just be my experience though.

There are always dangerous hits in football. But when you agree to play ball, you know about those risks.

steelbtexan
12-08-2012, 02:05 AM
There could come a point where they turn this sport goofy with rule changes to fundamental aspects of the game.

This could be that tipping point.

I doubt that owners will go for it.

God'ell's Mara's puppet. His daddy left him a gold mine. He's just trying to mitigate damages. Meanwhile he's ruining the sport his dad spent his lifetime building up to be the #1 sport in this country.

Mara should just pay the retired players and get current new players to sign a wavier. He would make $$$$ in the long run. Mara is lacking the vision his dad had.

gg no re
12-08-2012, 12:07 PM

So Calvinball V2.0. I like it.