PDA

View Full Version : Texans (not) Interested in Trading for Henry

TexanFan881
06-09-2005, 12:57 PM
...Houston remains the only team talking trade with the Bills for running back Travis Henry.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/columnist/2005-06-08-inside-scoop_x.htm

wags
06-09-2005, 01:09 PM
Why? :confused:

Vinny
06-09-2005, 01:16 PM
If they have an interest it is because Henry is talented and the Texans may think they can get him cheap.

canadiantexan
06-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I've seen alot of Bills games the last couple years because I live so close to Buffalo and my brother is a Bills fan. Having said that I would love to see Travis wear a Texans Jersey next year but only for the right price. Travis can run between the guards or around the tackles has good speed and can run over most LB's. I think Henry had like back to back 1300 yard seasons and only lost his starting spot because Bledsoe was so terrible last year the Bills offence needed a spark so Malarkey inserted basically a rookie RB to provide a spark. McGahee then used his considerable talents to win the job (no shame losing to Mcgahee he could be a special one). If we can pick up Henry without "selling the farm" then he would make a excellent short yardage banger for us while DD plays the majority of the passing downs and if DD gets hurt we wont miss a beat.

dalemurphy
06-09-2005, 01:34 PM

Travis Henry is a very good football player. He would be a significant upgrade over whatever roster spot he would take. Plus, I think he's signed to two more years at a rather small salary ($1 million per year range)- we wouldn't be responsible for any of the signing bonus.

Porky
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM

I am a bit surprised they are pursuing him, but Henry is clearly better than any back on our roster that we know of (Morency is an open book). I think that answers your question. If we can get him for our 4th rd pick next yr, that is a major steal. I wouldn't be totally opposed to our second 3rd rounder either, but any higher than that, and I begin to back off. My only concern is his propensitiy to cough up the ball.

TexansRockMySocks
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
That would be very welcoming for me. Henry is very good and has much potential left. Didnt the Jag's offer a 3rd rounder for Shaun Alexander? Then a 3rd rounder for Travis Henry would seem right too, and we do have an extra 3rd rounder next year. Pair him up with DD and we have a bonafide backfield. Keep Morency as the backup, move Wells over to FB, then try trading Hollings or just release him. Also DD becomes a restricted free agent, so at the end of this year we may gain a 1rst and 3rd for him or maybe just a 1rst, or maybe 2nd. So if we let DD walk for the First and Third, we pretty much get back the 3rd we gave up for Henry and gain an extra First rounder. Basically it'd be like trading DD for Travis Henry and a 1rst round pick. We should jump all over this one.

ArlingtonTexan
06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
I think that Henry and Davis are in the same class of back. Guys who can do somethings and put up solid production, but if you have a chance to get an elite player you do so. Not the worse thing they could , but I am not convinced that he would an upgrade over anything the Texans have.

Porky
06-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Nobody in their right mind is going to give up a 1st and 3rd for DD, so get that scenerio out of your head.

TexansRockMySocks
06-09-2005, 01:41 PM
ok maybe just a 1rst., cus after all it's restricted free-agency

Porky
06-09-2005, 01:41 PM
I think that Henry and Davis are in the same class of back. Guys who can do somethings and put up solid production, but if you have a chance to get an elite player you do so. Not the worse thing they could , but I am not convinced that he would an upgrade over anything the Texans have.

Let me ask all the DD fans a question. If DD is as good as a Travis Henry, why is it that the Texans have looked to upgrade at every available opportunity? See Hollings, Mgahee, Henry, Morency, et al.

TexansRockMySocks
06-09-2005, 01:45 PM
whenever you have a chance to add talent, you do.

Nawzer
06-09-2005, 01:48 PM
D.D. is injury prone and last year his fumbling early in the season proved very costly. Maybe the Texans brass knows something about D.D. that we don't know and that maybe the reason they are pursuing Travis Henry. As a player, I think Henry is slightly better than D.D. and both of them will make an excellent backfield for us. I really didn't expect us to pursue Henry so I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why the Texans are doing this...

MikeMc
06-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Nobody in their right mind is going to give up a 1st and 3rd for DD, so get that scenerio out of your head.

Well, in Franchise mode on Madden2005, Phily was all over it!

rittenhouserobz
06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
D.D. is injury prone and last year his fumbling early in the season proved very costly. Maybe the Texans brass knows something about D.D. that we don't know and that maybe the reason they are pursuing Travis Henry. As a player, I think Henry is slightly better than D.D. and both of them will make an excellent backfield for us. I really didn't expect us to pursue Henry so I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why the Texans are doing this...

I will take a geuss at it. I remember when Ron Dayne became avilible, there was an article about Capers like bigger backs. Is Henry a bigger back than DD?

mmontgo
06-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Henry runs bigger, but is on the same level as far as skills and potential go....but Healthwise DD is killing us! Our playoff chances ride on his health IMHO. Johnson and Carr will be there. The line will be average, but the RB spot has been a source and unless we can run consistently, we are not going far. but, Henry is also prone, though not as much as DD.

TexansFanatic
06-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Travis Henry = 5'9" 215 lbs.
Domanick Davis = 5'9" 221lbs.

According to NFL.com

Nawzer
06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
Well I guess he is. I don't know exactly how much more bigger he is than D.D. Just because USAToday says that we are interested in Henry doesn't really mean we are. They could just be reporting a rumor that someone somewhere started. We'll just have to wait and see.

F-minus67
06-09-2005, 02:29 PM
They are about the same size,I think that Henry is faster. If you think that Davis has a fumble problem, Henry has fumbled 23 times in his 3 years as the starter. :shocked

Mr Shush
06-09-2005, 02:31 PM
Backfield by committee with those two would be excellent, if they were amenable to it. Take Davis down to around 180-200 carries per season, instead of 300, and he'll be around a lot longer. Probably fumble less, too. But if Henry wants a big new contract, or Buffalo wants anything very significant in exchange, forget it.

Mr Shush
06-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Another advantage to BBC next year would be that Davis would probably not then be able to ask for as much money in his next contract, due to weaker stats.

SESupergenius
06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
I am a bit surprised they are pursuing him, but Henry is clearly better than any back on our roster that we know of (Morency is an open book). I think that answers your question. If we can get him for our 4th rd pick next yr, that is a major steal. I wouldn't be totally opposed to our second 3rd rounder either, but any higher than that, and I begin to back off. My only concern is his propensitiy to cough up the ball.
If Henry is better than any back on our roster then we are admitting we have not done a very good job in drafting a RB and would consider Morency and Hollings a bust.

Lucky
06-09-2005, 02:33 PM
Let me ask all the DD fans a question. If DD is as good as a Travis Henry, why is it that the Texans have looked to upgrade at every available opportunity? See Hollings, Mgahee, Henry, Morency, et al.
Let me answer for the DD fans:

Hollings - The Texans took Hollings in the '03 supplemental. Before Davis had ever played a down for the Texans. At that point, the Texans were hoping that Domanick would become a 3rd down back & returner.

MaGahee(?) - The Texans never had MaGahee on the roster. He was drafted in the 1st round of the '03 draft by Buffalo.

Henry - Um, have you considered that this story is total bunk?

Morency - This pick reflects as much on Tony Hollings as it does on Davis. If Hollings had been able to stay healthy last year and show that he can play in the league, I doubt Morency would have been the pick for the Texans. It's not that the '04 season showed that DD couldn't play...it's that it showed that the team needs another back to lighten his load. And the Texans can't count on Hollings to be that back.

Edit: Here is an important stat whenever considering a RB for the Texans. Touches/Fumble. Travis Henry has fumbled 23 times in his career for a 46.3 touches/fumble ratio. Domanick Davis, despite his troubles last season, averages 81.9 touches/fumble. You can't be a fumbler and expect to play RB for Dom Capers.

Mr Shush
06-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Another motivating factor behind the Morency pick (and any other prospective RB addition) was the need to ensure that Davis couldn't hold the team over a barrel for want of a credible alternative.

Vinny
06-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Capers like bigger backs. pure myth

canadiantexan
06-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Capers likes bigger backs

pure myth

Yeah why does everyone always say that Capers likes bigger backs if your a very good NFL RB and you continue to produce big numbers year after year he'll like you know matter how big you are. I hear he prefers bigger corners to ...that must be why they got Dunta right? :brickwall

Blake
06-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Why would we want a player who wants to be a starter? We have Davis. And he will fill that role this season.

I would use our money where we need it most. O-line, or TE.

Porky
06-09-2005, 02:55 PM
If Henry is better than any back on our roster then we are admitting we have not done a very good job in drafting a RB and would consider Morency and Hollings a bust.

Hollings has been a bust. Who knows on Morency. I think he has some potential to start for us, but if Henry takes over, then he would be a longer term backup. Even if the rumors are true, I tend to look at this as a long shot, but it is worth speculating about.

Cjeremy635
06-09-2005, 02:58 PM
As a fan of little DD since his time with the Texans, I really see a lot of potential with him in his running game. Sure, last year he coughed up the ball a few times in the season, mostly at the beginning, but that kept on mind "**cking him for the next few weeks. Tough to get that out of your head. People question his output numbers but we "all" know that those numbers are in direct relation to the poor performances by the O line. Toward the end of last year was when DD started putting out the longer yard gains....maybe that's because the line finally gelled or the other teams were just wore out because it was close to the end of the season, but I think that if the Texans were to trade him it would be a huge mistake. If DD was to go to another team that had a better line, his numbers would be huge. Come on, back to back 1,000 yard seasons with a horrible O line is pretty good in my book. Tough to get the huge yardage when the defense gets you in the backfield :ouch:

Just my :twocents:

Porky
06-09-2005, 02:58 PM
Let me answer for the DD fans:

Hollings - The Texans took Hollings in the '03 supplemental. Before Davis had ever played a down for the Texans. At that point, the Texans were hoping that Domanick would become a 3rd down back & returner.

MaGahee(?) - The Texans never had MaGahee on the roster. He was drafted in the 1st round of the '03 draft by Buffalo.

Henry - Um, have you considered that this story is total bunk?

Morency - This pick reflects as much on Tony Hollings as it does on Davis. If Hollings had been able to stay healthy last year and show that he can play in the league, I doubt Morency would have been the pick for the Texans. It's not that the '04 season showed that DD couldn't play...it's that it showed that the team needs another back to lighten his load. And the Texans can't count on Hollings to be that back.

Edit: Here is an important stat whenever considering a RB for the Texans. Touches/Fumble. Travis Henry has fumbled 23 times in his career for a 46.3 touches/fumble ratio. Domanick Davis, despite his troubles last season, averages 81.9 touches/fumble. You can't be a fumbler and expect to play RB for Dom Capers.

Excellent reply, and good points. I mentioned Mgahee because it was a very badly kept secret that Cass was hot to trot for Willis before his injury in the Orange Bowl. He was going to draft him at #3 over AJ.....but after thinking about it, that is also the year they drafted DD I do believe, so I guess you got me again. :thud:

Vinny
06-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Come on, back to back 1,000 yard seasons with a horrible O line is pretty good in my book. Tough to get the huge yardage when the defense gets you in the backfield :ouch: The Texans have one of the better run blocking lines in the NFL. For some reason most of you guys think pass blocking skills equate to run blocking skills.

canadiantexan
06-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Why would we want a player who wants to be a starter? We have Davis. And he will fill that role this season.

I'm a DD fan so I'm not trying to bash him it's just with his injury problems it would be nice to have some NFL experience and talent to fall back on in case DD is hurt making our drive for the playoffs. It would be a real shame if we miss out on the playoffs because DD went down late in the year and we didnt have a dependable number two back that's all I'm saying.
And as far as the Mcgahee thing I think everyone was "hot to trot" for Willis before he got hurt.

canadiantexan
06-09-2005, 03:06 PM
The Texans have one of the better run blocking lines in the NFL. For some reason most of you guys think pass blocking skills equate to run blocking skills.

I've tried to say that in the Past Vinny.... your fighting an uphill battle on this message board with that statement. I think we have one of the better "Drive" blocking teams around and I think are guards are very good especially Pitts, He's a future pro bowler. With a new center and TE our run blocking would be up there with anyones.
P.S. sorry if this was off topic.

Lucky
06-09-2005, 03:07 PM
...it was a very badly kept secret that Cass was hot to trot for Willis before his injury in the Orange Bowl. He was going to draft him at #3 over AJ...
The pre-injury McGahee was the best college back to come out since Barry Sanders in terms of raw ability. Awesome. I doubt the Lions would have let him get past #2. Casserly might have traded up with the Bengals at #1 to get Willis. He was that good. Too bad, but I haven't seen the same explosiveness in McGahee since. :(

Cjeremy635
06-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Vinny,
It was apparent that they changed to the zone blocking scheme to open holes for DD and the rest of the ruuning backs. They stated that. If they are one of the better run blocking teams in the league, why aren't the holes there and why are the defenders in the back field or meeting him at the line of scrimmage. I don't care if you are a 280 lb. back, it's tough to run over two 300+ lb line man when he meats you at the line. As I stated at the beginning of this post, didn't the Texans say they changed to the zone blocking scheme due to its ability to open more holes for the running game and that they Patriots had a lot of success in their running game with this style? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

jwag630
06-09-2005, 03:12 PM
i think that if the whole Texans seeking Henry thing is true its simply because Capers is trying to play to his strengths. At this point in the offseason we have to realize that none of our prayers have been answered for the coming of the messiah of our o-line, our o-line is just not going to be that much better next year. With that being said, most of our fans think of our o-line as horrible all around(which is very arguable at times) but the fact is our o-line is a decent run-blocking line, so Capers is just trying to make our backfield go from above average to great. With the addition of Henry and Wells possibly switching to FB we could have a very formidable force on our hands. Once the backfield improves teams will not rush us as much as they did before. This will partly nullify our lines daftness when it comes to pass-rushing allowing all of those short slants and curls that our WRs are supposed to be running this year to be very effective.

JDizzle
06-09-2005, 03:22 PM
At this point in the offseason we have to realize that none of our prayers have been answered for the coming of the messiah of our o-line, our o-line is just not going to be that much better next year.

Why do the majority of posters here think the line is going to stink because we haven't signed a FA? O lines can improve considerably without changing personnel, and don't be surprised if this one does.

JDizzle
06-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Vinny,
It was apparent that they changed to the zone blocking scheme to open holes for DD and the rest of the ruuning backs. They stated that. If they are one of the better run blocking teams in the league, why aren't the holes there and why are the defenders in the back field or meeting him at the line of scrimmage. I don't care if you are a 280 lb. back, it's tough to run over two 300+ lb line man when he meats you at the line. As I stated at the beginning of this post, didn't the Texans say they changed to the zone blocking scheme due to its ability to open more holes for the running game and that they Patriots had a lot of success in their running game with this style? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We were the #12 rushing team in the NFL last season. That hardly constitutes a failure.

canadiantexan
06-09-2005, 03:29 PM
We were the #12 rushing team in the NFL last season. That hardly constitutes a failure.

I dont think some people research or have facts to back up what they say on the board makes you wonder where there coming from

infantrycak
06-09-2005, 03:34 PM
The Texans have one of the better run blocking lines in the NFL. For some reason most of you guys think pass blocking skills equate to run blocking skills.

I agree with you halfway--the 2nd half of the season. In the 1st half there were two problems, DD being gimpy/fumble shy and the OL adapting to zone blocking--it looked like a big scrum pile moving horizontally along the line of scrimmage with little forward motion and no backside sealing being done. In the 2nd half of the season it appeared both problems were corrected and the running game exploded. Hopefully they put that 2nd half performance or even better out through this whole coming season.

ojthecat
06-09-2005, 03:37 PM

Ok. Understand that with the CAP you cannot save money from this year and spend it next so who are these TE's that you will spend money on? And who are the OLmen that you will spend money on?

infantrycak
06-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Ok. Understand that with the CAP you cannot save money from this year and spend it next so who are these TE's that you will spend money on? And who are the OLmen that you will spend money on?

Actually it is easy enough for a team with extra cap space to restructure a contract and put money out this year in the form of a roster bonus and free up money from a later year. For instance just go to Carr (base salary $5.25 mil in 2006 or AJ $5 mil in 2006) and say how about $3 mil a piece now as a roster bonus instead of part of your salary next year.

bigtex77
06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
I dont think some people research or have facts to back up what they say on the board makes you wonder where there coming from

They come from ignorant, close minded, so-called fans who have nothing better to do, so they bi*ch about everything the organization does or doesn't do.

ATX
06-09-2005, 04:39 PM
my only questions are why would buffalo want to get rid of henry? is mcgahee better or cheaper? does henry want to be a starter and is mcgahee threatening that? i know mcgahee was a badass in college, but henry was clearly the better back going into last season. just wondering what changed their minds. maybe mcgahee is progessing faster than thought. here's one for you, maybe we trade ragone for henry and 2nd or 3rd rounder.

TexansNeedRBin05
06-09-2005, 04:46 PM

Cause DD is a crappy RB! If we get Henry atleast a Wild Card next year assuming are D is as good as last year! :highfive:

TEXANS84
06-09-2005, 04:49 PM
maybe we trade ragone for henry and 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Lets not mortgage the future on one player.

I'd give a 4th round or a conditional pick in the 2006 draft.

People, lets not forget that this year is Domanicks contract year. And although he's been a great back for us...two teams right now are offering two elite runningbacks for a very little asking price. You can never have too many good backs on your roster.

Vinny
06-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Vinny,
It was apparent that they changed to the zone blocking scheme to open holes for DD and the rest of the ruuning backs. They stated that. If they are one of the better run blocking teams in the league, why aren't the holes there and why are the defenders in the back field or meeting him at the line of scrimmage. I don't care if you are a 280 lb. back, it's tough to run over two 300+ lb line man when he meats you at the line. As I stated at the beginning of this post, didn't the Texans say they changed to the zone blocking scheme due to its ability to open more holes for the running game and that they Patriots had a lot of success in their running game with this style? Please correct me if I'm wrong.I'm a pretty fanatical game film watcher and I see good run blocking on the primary and secondary levels in our linemen. All teams zone block and all teamsí man block. If you watch, we do both as well, we just zone block as our primary technique. "Changing to zone blocking" is simply doing more of one than another. Here is a nice article that featured Davis for you guys that don't follow linemen techniques and game play as much as I do. It won't resolve any arguments here but it further helps understand what we are talking about.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/images/HookDavis.gif

But the graph indicates that he was more consistent in the zone blocking scheme, i.e. a greater proportion of his runs were between the extremes of "stuffed" and "long run", which means he was stuffed less but also had fewer long runs. The numbers bear this out Ė in the zone blocking scheme he had 73.3% of his runs between 1 and 9 yards, but in the man blocking scheme only 64% of his runs were in that range. Visually this is obvious, as is the fact that he had more stuffs and long runs.

texasguy346
06-09-2005, 04:54 PM
my only questions are why would buffalo want to get rid of henry? is mcgahee better or cheaper? does henry want to be a starter and is mcgahee threatening that? i know mcgahee was a badass in college, but henry was clearly the better back going into last season. just wondering what changed their minds.

Basically this all played out last season. Henry got dinged up, and McGahee basically has the starting job. Henry wasn't happy, and asked to be traded. The Bills have been rumored to be shopping him around to a number of teams. Just to name a few: Oakland, Arizona, Miami, Titans (I believe?), and now the Texans. They haven't been able to find a team that's willing to bite. They've been trying to trade him for quite some time now.

MightyTExan
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
DD is the running back for us I think he will prove it this year. I'll put it on the line, he reminds me of Priest Holmes. To me he was 70% of our offense last year-runs and catches. It's good to have a back like that.

texan279
06-09-2005, 05:01 PM
DD is the running back for us I think he will prove it this year. I'll put it on the line, he reminds me of Priest Holmes. To me he was 70% of our offense last year-runs and catches. It's good to have a back like that.

Priest Holmes? That's taking it a bit far...

Vinny
06-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I think that the Texans are getting ready to depart with DD after this season if this speculation is true. Making Morency the second pick of your draft then trading for Henry only points to one thing.

texan279
06-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I think that the Texans are getting ready to depart with DD after this season if this speculation is true. Making Morency the second pick of your draft then trading for Henry only points to one thing.

I was thinking the same thing, or Hollings could be gone also...

bigtex77
06-09-2005, 05:11 PM
Cause DD is a crappy RB! If we get Henry atleast a Wild Card next year assuming are D is as good as last year! :highfive:

Travis Henry- Fifth season, 4.0 YPC, 27 TD
DD - Third season, 4.1 YPC, 21 TD

Also, if you project DD's yards over the next 3 years, which would be his 5th season, he is well ahead of Henry's pace. So why exactly is DD a crappy RB? :rolleyes:

awtysst
06-09-2005, 05:11 PM

I don't know. Having two succesful backs are an almost must these days. Especially if Dom wants us to go to a heavy run offense, it is vital to have a good one-two punch. I realize that DD and Henry run similarly, but that would certainly tire out the defense in the fourth quarter. Also having two good backs will give Morency good role models to emulate. Eventually one of the two will go(probably Henry) and DD and Morency will be the Texans run attack.

Nawzer
06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Maybe the Texan's coaches really like what Morency brings to the table. Morency is a lot like D.D. and maybe the Texans think that they can let go of D.D. and bring in Henry.

Lucky
06-09-2005, 05:18 PM
People, lets not forget that this year is Domanicks contract year...
This is also Henry's contract year. He'll be a UFA after the '05 season. So it's a Rent-a-RB move. You could say the Texans would have more control over Henry's signing, but that's only true if the Texans place a franchise tag on Travis after the season. And with a cap hit of around $7 million, no one is stupid enough to do that.

Hervoyel
06-09-2005, 05:25 PM

I'm a DD fan but I think I also fall into the "realist" camp on him. To date Domanick Davis hasn't demonstrated that he really is the kind of back he shows glimpses of being.

There's nothing wrong with that. Lots of RB's in the NFL tease you but don't become the franchise back. They have some good days, do just enough to keep a few people thinking they'd be the guy if they just had a shot. That's why the Texans keep looking for someone who's proven it. Travis Henry has proven it. His two standout years (1438 and 1356 respectively) are a measurable step up from DD's (1031 and 1188).

Those are just numbers of course and there are a bunch of reasons why Davis hasn't put out numbers like (or better than) Henry. The facts are that Davis simply hasn't done anything special yet. You could make a good argument that neither has Henry. He's no Edge James. Accepted. He's a better grade of ordinary though than Domanick is right now.

bigtex77
06-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm a DD fan but I think I also fall into the "realist" camp on him. To date Domanick Davis hasn't demonstrated that he really is the kind of back he shows glimpses of being.

There's nothing wrong with that. Lots of RB's in the NFL tease you but don't become the franchise back. They have some good days, do just enough to keep a few people thinking they'd be the guy if they just had a shot. That's why the Texans keep looking for someone who's proven it. Travis Henry has proven it. His two standout years (1438 and 1356 respectively) are a measurable step up from DD's (1031 and 1188).

Those are just numbers of course and there are a bunch of reasons why Davis hasn't put out numbers like (or better than) Henry. The facts are that Davis simply hasn't done anything special yet. You could make a good argument that neither has Henry. He's no Edge James. Accepted. He's a better grade of ordinary though than Domanick is right now.

I guess time is the major knock on DD, look at their first 2 years, respectively,

TH- 2167 YDS, 17 TD
DD- 2219 YDS, 21 TD

I don't see the huge difference, or upgrade, if we are bringing Henry in to be a starter. If he and DD were used as a two headed monster then it makes sense.

BornOrange
06-09-2005, 05:34 PM
As I stated at the beginning of this post, didn't the Texans say they changed to the zone blocking scheme due to its ability to open more holes for the running game and that they Patriots had a lot of success in their running game with this style? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The Texans made the move to a zone blocking scheme because of the success of the Broncos and the Ravens using a similar scheme. I don't know what kind of scheme the Patriots use, but prior to last season they had a weak running game until they acquired Corey Dillon.

Lucky
06-09-2005, 05:38 PM
...Travis Henry has proven it. His two standout years (1438 and 1356 respectively) are a measurable step up from DD's (1031 and 1188).
But when you look at total yardage, Henry's best seasons of 1747 & 1514 compare pretty equally with Davis' 1382 & 1776 totals. And Davis didn't start the 1st 3rd of his rookie season. You can't really throw out rushing yardage totals unless you look at the construct of the offense they were generated in. What you can point out are the fumble totals. And Henry has proven to be twice as likely to fumble as Davis. Henry has certainly proven that.

LikeABoss
06-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Travis Henry has also proved that he is more durable than Davis too :heh:

Henry and Davis would be a two headed monster like Staley and Bettis in Pittsburgh :cool:

BornOrange
06-09-2005, 05:53 PM

I agree.

Neither Davis or Henry are true franchise backs. Henry is probably a better runner, but he has a bigger downside with his fumbling problem. If the Texans are able to get Henry for just a fourth round pick, I say go for it. He would be an excellent source of competition and also insurance in case Davis were to get injured.

bigtex77
06-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Travis Henry has also proved that he is more durable than Davis too :heh:

Henry and Davis would be a two headed monster like Staley and Bettis in Pittsburgh :cool:

He missed the last 3 games his rookie season, and 5 last year. That's not horrible, but I would not say that he's proven himself to be more durable the DD.

Nawzer
06-09-2005, 06:04 PM
According to most of the posts above it seems to me that there isn't much difference between Domanick and Travis. They put up similar numbers, they're the same size, and they both have issues when it comes to staying healthy. So, what's Travis Henry better at? Is it pass protection or is he a better receiver than D.D.? Neither of them are true franchise backs but they aren't bad either. Both are above average backs. What is the primary reason for the Texans to pursue Travis Henry?

texan279
06-09-2005, 06:10 PM
According to most of the posts above it seems to me that there isn't much difference between Domanick and Travis. They put up similar numbers, they're the same size, and they both have issues when it comes to staying healthy. So, what's Travis Henry better at? Is it pass protection or is he a better receiver than D.D.? Neither of them are true franchise backs but they aren't bad either. Both are above average backs. What is the primary reason for the Texans to pursue Travis Henry?

Henry has 2 seasons where he put up over 1350 yards, and one of the seasons he did it he only played in 15 games. I honestly believe Travis Henry would thrive behind our O line...just MO...

ThaShark316
06-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Well...I look at it like this: If we traded for Henry, we'd use Dom-D in the slot and/or the opposite side of AJ on downs like...2nd and 5/3rd and 4, you know, to confuse the defense. On the flip side; if we got Henry, you'd wonder "why the hell did we draft Morency?" Alot of things are being considered if we are indeed interested in Henry.

About the RBs differences...I would say Henry is more a bruiser than Dom-D (In comparison to Davis). Of course Davis is a better receiver, and I believe Henry is a good blocker, but I'm not sure exactly.

Bottom line: I say "Why the hell not? Who's to say we can't have two good RBs. Besides, you need 2 Rbs nowdays anyway.

Peace every1!

texan279
06-09-2005, 06:30 PM
I just can't see us bringing in Henry, AND keeping Davis, Hollings, and Morency. That would give us 2 RB's who have started in the NFL and 2 RB's who have the potential to be starting RB's...and there would still be Wells! I think it could all be BS like it was when the media was saying the Jags were trying to trade for him. The Bills just might be trying to make the rest of the NFL think that there is a high interest in Henry. I dunno, I guess we'll all find out soon enough...

Red House
06-09-2005, 06:49 PM
"There are four teams still talking trade with Buffalo for TB Travis Henry and none of them are the Houston Texans, a team that I incorrectly mentioned in the past." Haves and Have Nots (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3678374)

Just saw this quote from Foxsports.com. This quote is in the notes section of the article.

Vinny
06-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Well, that explains that.

Nawzer
06-09-2005, 06:53 PM
O.k.....

Long Baller
06-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Botton line: Why does Henry want out of Buffalo? He doesn't what to split carries or back up. With DD here, what will his role be? Answer: The same as in Buffalo. So, why would he want to come here? I think this move is trouble even though he has skills.

texan279
06-09-2005, 06:58 PM
How does this guy go from "The Texans are the only team in talks with Buffalo about trading for Henry" to "There are 4 teams in talks with Buffalo about trading for Henry and the Texans are not one of them." :dangit:

TexansNeedRBin05
06-09-2005, 06:58 PM

#1 Davis is crap #2 Do you see any quality Olinemen or Tightends avaibile?

Vinny
06-09-2005, 07:00 PM
#1 Davis is crap #2 Do you see any quality Olinemen or Tightends avaibile?I'm not in-love with Davis as a franchise back but your 'Davis is crap' drivel is really getting old.

texan279
06-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Davis is not crap, he's not a Tomlinson or Holmes, but he is a solid RB.

TexansRockMySocks
06-09-2005, 07:03 PM

Since when does a 4th rounder running for consecutive 1,000 yard seasons and being a teams 2nd leader in receptions qualify as crap? Do you really expect more then what he's doing now? May have fumble problems but better then some backs as someone pointed out for DD it was like 80 touches per fumble, which isn't entirely bad. On top of that he has rushed for 1,000+ yards in consecutive years and had like that 70 receptions, we never expected all that out of him being a 4th rounder and all, we were really hoping he'd be a situational back brought in to change the pace and stuff. If anything he's been a savior for us.

Texans Pride
06-09-2005, 07:20 PM

Darn...Davis is crap. . . I guess the autographed mini helmet of him I got for signing up for a credit card is garbage. . .Hey TexansNeedRBin05, you want it?

:club:

DRIFTAWAY
06-09-2005, 07:42 PM
gotta agree with everyone, DD is da Man

bigtex77
06-09-2005, 07:53 PM
#1 Davis is crap.

I'm sorry but Davis is not crap. Mack was crap.

I'm not in-love with Davis as a franchise back but your 'Davis is crap' drivel is really getting old.

You guys might as well give it up, TexansNeedRBin05 is either blind, ignorant, or doesnt have a TV.

JDizzle
06-09-2005, 08:19 PM
You guys might as well give it up, TexansNeedRBin05 is either blind, ignorant, or doesnt have a TV.

Or James Allen scored an account here.

Grid
06-09-2005, 09:26 PM
The talk all week has been about the Titans being very interested in Henry.

My guess is that the "insider" who gave that information, meant the Titans when he said Houston. Some people still havent quite wrapped their heads around the fact that the Titans arent the oilers and houston has a new team.

id put money on it.

infantrycak
06-09-2005, 10:11 PM
The talk all week has been about the Titans being very interested in Henry.

My guess is that the "insider" who gave that information, meant the Titans when he said Houston. Some people still havent quite wrapped their heads around the fact that the Titans arent the oilers and houston has a new team.

id put money on it.

I'd bet your right. Still, watching people try to read the tea leaves of DD's demise on this incorrect (and frankly kind of silly--Henry was available for a 3rd when we took Morency) rumour was kind of hilarious off-season entertainment.

Mr Shush
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
The fact that there's no evidence we were ever interested in Henry doesn't automatically mean pursuing him would be a stupid move. What I think would make it a stupid move is the fact that it's his contract year (I didn't know that). I'd just like to see Davis get considerably fewer carries this season, one way or another. If Hollings is healthy and up to it, and Morency can come in and do well, with a smaller contribution from Wells, that's great. But there are any number of reasons not to give Davis 300-plus carries again if we can help it.

Vinny said:The Texans have one of the better run blocking lines in the NFL. For some reason most of you guys think pass blocking skills equate to run blocking skills.

Vinny, I take it you're aware that according to FO's Adjusted Line-Yards stat we're 23rd in the league at run-blocking? Not terrible, but not that good either. Of course stats aren't everything, but I think it would be fair to say that, while of course run-blocking and pass-blocking are different things, and of course our run-blocking is better than our pass-blocking, we're only an average run-blocking team at best. I agree that our line-play improved over the course of the season, but I wouldn't put us in the top half of the league.

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to the full text of the article Vinny referenced: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=2484&cat=1

infantrycak
06-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Here is something I have been curious about, the apparent lack of cut blocks:

A final element of the zone blocking scheme is the use of the much hated cut block to seal off backside pursuit. This means that any linemen on the backside of the play cut block defensive players in front of them, which drops the defensive players to the turf and, oddly enough, opens up holes for the running back. Note that the cut block is legal in this case, as long as the offensive lineman isnít hitting the defender from behind and as long as he doesnít roll up on his legs.

For the record, Joe Pendry claims that his zone blocking scheme doesnít rely on cut blocks. Given Davisís performance, he might want to reconsider that stance.

It is possible that the lack of cut-blocking on the backside prevented Davis from breaking out past the 3 yard area and grabbing large chunks of ground.

Third, it is possible that Davis might have had a better year if Pendry had used cut-blocking to Davisís advantage.

From the article in the post above.

Particularly early in the year last year when the gaps weren't opening within the line as consistantly, DD would look for his cut back escape route and be met head on by the DE or OLB who should have been sealed off.

Don't know if this is some kind of objection to cut blocking (which might lead to the conclusion not to use the system) or was in anticipation of the NFL banning them (which they just considered and rejected again) but I'd like to see it incorporated more if we are going to run zone blocking.

throwANDREtheBALL
06-10-2005, 01:30 PM
Domanick Davis is a great back, I don't know why he gets dissed by any of our fans ?

He's tuff and he can catch..........I like him.

Infantrycak...........this if for you :highfive:

BUDDY! :)

Davis37
06-10-2005, 04:26 PM
I dont see how anyone can say anything bad about DD... He has had back to back 1000 yard seasons, and averages 8 yards per catch. Name 1 person on our team that has done better than him. He had 4 fumbles in the first 2 games last year cause he was trying to get xtra yards after getting hit, but he has fixed that. I wouldnt mind picking up Henry, but only if we can get him for cheap. He would be a great addition, to keep DD from having to take the load of the snaps.

TexanFanInCC
06-11-2005, 03:46 PM
I've seen alot of Bills games the last couple years because I live so close to Buffalo and my brother is a Bills fan. Having said that I would love to see Travis wear a Texans Jersey next year but only for the right price. Travis can run between the guards or around the tackles has good speed and can run over most LB's. I think Henry had like back to back 1300 yard seasons and only lost his starting spot because Bledsoe was so terrible last year the Bills offence needed a spark so Malarkey inserted basically a rookie RB to provide a spark. McGahee then used his considerable talents to win the job (no shame losing to Mcgahee he could be a special one). If we can pick up Henry without "selling the farm" then he would make a excellent short yardage banger for us while DD plays the majority of the passing downs and if DD gets hurt we wont miss a beat.

awww i kinda wanted to see some vernand morency...

Vinny
06-11-2005, 03:50 PM
awww i kinda wanted to see some vernand morency...
You will. Why do you think you won't?

Mr Shush
06-13-2005, 10:46 AM
Yeah, we're not actually going to sign Henry. I wouldn't mind if we did, however, providing he was prepared to sign a half-way reasonable new contract.

One thing I find interesting about the Morency pick is that he is by all accounts a very similar type of back to Davis. Not (I would have thought) what you want out of a guy who's going to rotate with him, but perhaps exactly what you want from a prospective replacement. Just a thought.

Big B Texan Fan
06-13-2005, 11:16 AM
I read on NFL.com yesterday that "the Texans are NOT interested in Henry as previously reported". Our RB's are Davis, Hollings, Morency. Let's get used to it.

Vambo, the Marble Eye
06-13-2005, 11:20 AM
You left off Wells.

Big B Texan Fan
06-13-2005, 11:51 AM
They're making him a FB due to his size...for now. So heading into these mini-camps our RB's are as previously stated and our FB's are Norris, Wells, and Baxter. I did not leave him out on purpose, just trying to catoragize it properly so that it makes sense. :hmmm: