PDA

View Full Version : Routt to tryout for HOU **Update** Signed

srrono
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Mark Berman @MarkBermanFox26

Former Raider, Chief and UH cornerback Stanford Routt will get a tryout with the Texans tomorrow.

valleytexfan
12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
With the injuries we've had...I like.

srrono
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Kids has wheels, should help special teams quickly as well.

silentassassin
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Kids has wheels, should help special teams quickly as well.

Yeah. If he's healthy coming off of that hamstring he could contribute down the stretch.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2012, 09:38 PM
Posted this in another thread:

Feb 2011, The Raiders gave him a 3 year 31 million dollar contract, but he renegotiated so the Raiders could keep him because the Raiders were having a real cap problem. In 15 games, he had 4 interceptions. The Chiefs picked him up and gave him a 20 million dollar 3 year deal this Feb. After missing his last game the end of October, he was released by the Chiefs with a hamstring injury. He had already accumulated 2 interceptions. KC's head coach was not specific in the reasons for the move other than saying the "relationship wasn't progressing as quickly and fast as I wanted it to." Sounds like some personality conflicts.

At 29, he sounds like he still has something in the tank........just ended up on the wrong teams. Could be a very interesting pickup. Remember, before Chris Johnson ran a Combine 4.24 40 (2008), Routt held the fastest run at 4.27 (2005)

As I suspected, have since found this explanation on Rotoworld (November 21, 2012) that now makes sense.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, free agent CB Stanford Routt clashed with coaches and missed curfew before being cut by the Chiefs.

Routt was getting torched on the field and not acting professionally off it. He reportedly wanted to use the technique he learned in Oakland instead of adapting to the Chiefs' scheme and Schefter says the coaches there "did not like him." It helps explain why they paid him $6 million to go away two weeks ago.

srrono
12-03-2012, 09:49 PM
He reportedly wanted to use the technique he learned in Oakland instead of adapting to the Chiefs' scheme and Schefter says the coaches there "did not like him."

I can see both sides of this I mean look at Asomugha was consider the best corner in the game as a man to man press defender goes to PHI coaches have him play zone and he is garbage. Thats what I love about Phillips he has players play to their strengths not force them in a system. BTW I am not saying Routt is a Asomugha.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Some more to ponder.

Routt cleared waivers after being cut by the Chiefs on Monday. The 29-year-old allowed a dreadful 64.1 completion percentage, 491 yards, and three touchdowns in seven games as Kansas City's right corner this year, according to Pro Football Focus. Quarterbacks had an astronomical 111.9 rating throwing at Routt. Miami lost Richard Marshall (back) to injured reserve, Arizona has employed a rotation opposite Patrick Peterson, and Detroit's secondary has been ravaged by injuries. Routt should be able to find a job before season's end.
Related: Lions, Dolphins, Cardinals
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Nov 7 - 9:38 PM

srrono
12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Some more to ponder.

I trust Phillips evaluation skills if he thinks he can help Texans.:cowboy1:

GP
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
David Gibbs came here and completely screwed up the entire secondary under Frank Bush pre-2011. Where did Gibbs come from, prior to his stint with the Texans? The Chiefs.

I promise you guys: The Chiefs are a wasteland for NFL talent.

If Wade sees some things in the guy, things he can use, he'll put him into situations to make him feel like a million bucks again.

Ruud is proof of that. Nobody wanted that guy, but we needed him...got him...and he's been solid for us. Dobbins was a similar castoff we landed just before the 2011 season. Wade knows what's up.

Vance Joseph knows what's up.

I hope he can kick ass and take names if we sign him and he gets to play. Sometimes you just need to know you're playing for COMPETENT coaches, IMO. Then the instincts start to kick in again. You start playing, instead of watching.

TheMatrix31
12-03-2012, 10:13 PM
He's not very good but if they see enough to actually sign him, then I'll trust that they know what they're doing.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 10:15 PM

Everyone injured recently is coming back. To sign Route, who are we going to cut?

Grimes maybe?

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 10:16 PM
He's not very good but if they see enough to actually sign him, then I'll trust that they know what they're doing.

He'll be behind Roc Carmichael on the depth chart. Not really expected to see the field. Other than special teams.

srrono
12-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Everyone injured recently is coming back. To sign Route, who are we going to cut?

Grimes maybe?

McCain going on IR I don't think a cut will be needed.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
McCain going on IR I don't think a cut will be needed.

I thought they said he might be ready for the play-offs? They're already closing that door?

Doesn't sound very Texans' like.

CloakNNNdagger
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM

Grimes maybe?

McCain, being "IR designated to return," does not count against the 53 man roster.

gwallaia
12-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Is Stanford Routt Houston Texan worthy?:texan:

srrono
12-03-2012, 10:33 PM
I thought they said he might be ready for the play-offs? They're already closing that door?

Doesn't sound very Texans' like.

Its the IR option that he can return in 6 weeks to practice then to game in 8 weeks

ThaJokaa
12-03-2012, 11:04 PM
IR with option, once we make it to the SB someone will have to be cut, if McCain is fully healthy. Ouch...

Playoffs
12-04-2012, 12:13 AM
In 2011 with Oakland Routt's coverage rating (by ProFootballFocus (http://www.profootballfocus.com/)) had him ranked 15/109 CBs who took at least 25% of their team's snaps.

His overall rating was poor, though, due to a league worst penalty rating/ranking: 109/109. I see 17 penalties in 17 games.

Routt is one of Al Davis' speed/size draft picks.

MEGA SWATT
12-04-2012, 12:48 AM

Sure, why not? He'll make a huge play in a critical game and become LEGEND!:fingergun:

Specnatz
12-04-2012, 01:25 AM

He has not kicked anyone in the family jewels that has been reported.

kiwitexansfan
12-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Great athlete.

Worth kicking the tires on for sure.

A healthy Joseph and Jackson will suit me just fine though.

Maybe we get to see Carmichael.

htownfan32
12-04-2012, 06:47 AM
FWIW I thought Carmichael looked pretty solid tackling.

Bulls on Parade
12-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Is this the guy playing for the Raiders?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZLiXA54D6I

I barely remember him from his U of H days.

Let's hope he can make plays. He's certainly young and athletic enough. A lot of talk that he was uninspired playing for a bad Chiefs defense. Perhaps playing on a contender will rejuvenate his play.

Corrosion
12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Probably the best option among the available street FA's .... definately worth looking into.

The fact that he played well for the Raiders in their man scheme bodes well since the Texans employ a scheme very similar.

IDEXAN
12-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Routt signed a three-year, $19.6 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs on February 20, 2012. On November 5, 2012, Routt was released by the Chiefs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Routt
19 M contract in February and outright cut 9 months later, what's with that ?

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Routt signed a three-year, $19.6 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs on February 20, 2012. On November 5, 2012, Routt was released by the Chiefs

Didn't we pick up a street FA not too long ago from KC? Worked out pretty well that time if I remember right. I think he was a DB too.

TexanSam
12-04-2012, 09:29 AM
In 2011 with Oakland Routt's coverage rating (by ProFootballFocus (http://www.profootballfocus.com/)) had him ranked 15/109 CBs who took at least 25% of their team's snaps.

His overall rating was poor, though, due to a league worst penalty rating/ranking: 109/109. I see 17 penalties in 17 games.

Well, I guess we know who to count on for our weekly block in the back penalty on punt returns if he's signed.

michaelm
12-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Well, I guess we know who to count on for our weekly block in the back penalty on punt returns if he's signed.

Odds are, there would be a block in the back on a return anyway, and they can only penalize us for one of them. :kitten:

Brandon420tx
12-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Whoever we pick up. I feel that if Vance doesn't think he'll fit they will be stuck on Special Teams duty

gwallaia
12-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Odds are, there would be a block in the back on a return anyway, and they can only penalize us for one of them. :kitten:

How can players be coached not to block in the back?

DX-TEX
12-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Tell them "Dont block in the back. Its against the rules!" ??

Corrosion
12-04-2012, 01:04 PM

They have to get back on returns to begin with .... and then they have to be taught proper angles and have the discipline and self control to .... make the right play.

Lots of the Texans block in the back penalties this year havent been on "gunners" who beat the return team back .... its been on the other guy's often from the interior. Thats whats so damn frustrating.

Keep the bastard in front of you .... dont hit him if you can read the back of his damn jersey.

Allstar
12-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Whoever we pick up. I feel that if Vance doesn't think he'll fit they will be stuck on Special Teams duty

Why would we pick up a CB that our secondary coach doesn't think will fit?

Heath Shuler
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Didn't we pick up a street FA not too long ago from KC? Worked out pretty well that time if I remember right. I think he was a DB too.

KC released Pollard in 2009 & we signed him.

Big Lou
12-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Tell them "Dont block in the back. Its against the rules!" ??

Man whats up with this. We get 2 or 3 calls a game. However it seems like they are calling more on everyone now. I called like 5 last night in the WAS/NY game.

My wife is a Giants fan, and I told her everytime there was a hold or a block in the back on returns, she was tripping out.

If I were a ST coach I would tell my Punt Returner, Fair Catch every damn ball period or your fired. Our return average would go up 5 or 6 yards by just fair catching every punt!!!

76Texan
12-04-2012, 01:27 PM

If I read it correctly, Routt gets $5M and $10M this year frm the Raiders and Chiefs, respectively.

If he agrees to a cheap contract to go home, I think it will be a good deal for us.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 01:31 PM

Routt is one of Al Davis' speed/size draft picks.

From what I read (from one of the coaches or Gm - can't recall), the Raiders always sent film into the league for review.

Nearly half of those penalties were deemed "not a penalty".

8 of those were the 5yd variety.

Errant Hothy
12-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Signed

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/276033592956702720

Mark Berman‏

The Texans will sign free agent cornerback Stanford Routt.

TEXANS84
12-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Confirmed. Just got hit by bleacher report as well.

Good signing. Hope we can get his technique up to speed.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Like!

He's the one who chased down Jerome Mathis on a return a few years back.

Remember how fast Mathis was?
And Routt chased him down from across the field.

Allstar
12-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Color me excited (until the first PI ;) )

MistaRed
12-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Welcome home Stanford. Don't mess over Bob's money.

TejasTom
12-04-2012, 02:06 PM

That doesn't help during the game.

Signed

So does he play Lloyd, Welker or centerfield?

Playoffs
12-04-2012, 02:07 PM
I know one guy Routt can shut down! :bravo:

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stanford+Routt+Jacoby+Jones+Oakland+Raiders+jYJxn_ J39SVl.jpghttp://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stanford+Routt+Jacoby+Jones+Oakland+Raiders+QEHJ9R-kKIDl.jpghttp://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stanford+Routt+Oakland+Raiders+v+Houston+Texans+Du 7_CIJXyzHl.jpg

CretorFrigg
12-04-2012, 02:11 PM

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stanford+Routt+Jacoby+Jones+Oakland+Raiders+jYJxn_ J39SVl.jpghttp://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stanford+Routt+Jacoby+Jones+Oakland+Raiders+QEHJ9R-kKIDl.jpghttp://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Stanford+Routt+Oakland+Raiders+v+Houston+Texans+Du 7_CIJXyzHl.jpg

He's not looking for the ball. :kitten:

gtexan02
12-04-2012, 02:13 PM

:spit:

Hervoyel
12-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Lets not all get too excited right up front on this. Remember, Wade is going to need some time to turn him into a Pro Bowl CB.

We probably won't see that until the Minnesota game. Wade isn't a miracle worker you know.

Playoffs
12-04-2012, 02:15 PM

http://baltimoresportsreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/referee-flag.jpeg

HOU-TEX
12-04-2012, 02:29 PM
So does he play Lloyd, Welker or centerfield?

I think the hopes would be none of the above. He'll be an emergency DB and maybe a STer. He'd basically be replacing Posey as our last resort

Dutchrudder
12-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Well, he can't be worse than McCain.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=76Texan;2071278]
QUOTE]

That doesn't help during the game.

So does he play Lloyd, Welker or centerfield?playing for the Raiders might have resulted in some of those "tic-tac" penalties.

We don't even know if he's going to play this week.

I still think either Alan or JJo will go.

If both go, perhaps Alan will be in the slot on Welker.

If not, I think it will be Harris.

If neither go, we might see him some.

Who knows, Quin might play some CB this week.

I think Routt fits with us because they played a lot man coverage in Oakland.

Cerberus
12-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Posted this in another thread:

As I suspected, have since found this explanation on Rotoworld (November 21, 2012) that now makes sense.

Some more to ponder.

Routt is a penalty waiting to happen. He has good speed, but tends to not look for the ball and/or has his hands all over the WR. When he is playing well, he does pretty good. His penalties typically were just totally untimely.

DexmanC
12-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Routt is a penalty waiting to happen. He has good speed, but tends to not look for the ball and/or has his hands all over the WR. When he is playing well, he does pretty good. His penalties typically were just totally untimely.

Vance Joseph turned Kareem Jackson into a Probowl caliber corner. I think
Routt will be fine in the environment he now finds himself in.

TejasTom
12-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Lets not all get too excited right up front on this. Remember, Wade is going to need some time to turn him into a Pro Bowl CB.

We probably won't see that until the Minnesota game. Wade isn't a miracle worker you know.

When we brought in Quintin Demps late last year he made an immediate impact. Although he had been here in preseason.

If he is in shape and he is familiar with the terminology he could play. If they put him on someone to stay on and doesn't have to worry about switching receivers mid-route he might be out there.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 03:11 PM

pssh

He never turned his head.

Tailgate
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Well, he can't be worse than McCain.

Exactly. I just don't get all the McCain love. Harris will be taking McCains spot, and who says in th near future that this secondary did not just get upgraded overall?

pec0sb0b
12-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by 76Texan
Who knows, Quin might play some CB this week.

Was thinking the same.

beerlover
12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Early Christmas Stanford Routt. Give it your very best & return favor to coaches & teammates so we can all celebrate :texflag:

76Texan
12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
There's a video out there somewhere in the same area of the video posted earlier in this thread.

His burn rate in 2010 ranked third.
That's even better than Asomugha and it was better than JJo by quite a bit that year.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Exactly. I just don't get all the McCain love. Harris will be taking McCains spot, and who says in th near future that this secondary did not just get upgraded overall?

It will depend on the contract.

I wonder when we will find out all the details.

Rey
12-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I actually like Brandon Harris from what I've seen. Is normally tight in coverage and he's physical which is something McCain is not.

I'm a Brandon Harris fan.

CretorFrigg
12-04-2012, 03:29 PM
There's a video out there somewhere in the same area of the video posted earlier in this thread.

That's even better than Asomugha and it was better than JJo by quite a bit that year.

Just playing the devil's advocate here...

But stats could be misleading here. Do burn rates account for pass interference calls? I could never be burned if I just tackle the wide receiver once he ran past me every time.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 03:46 PM

But stats could be misleading here. Do burn rates account for pass interference calls? I could never be burned if I just tackle the wide receiver once he ran past me every time.

When I have some time, I will look into these things.

I don't know how many penalties he got in 2010, but I know it was less than 2010.

I don't want to jump to any conclusion to soon.

Porky
12-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Very good signing given the circumstances. You aren't getting another JJo in week 13 looking at street FA, but the guy has speed to burn and if Vance Joseph can take Kareem Jackson and turn him into one of the better #2 CB's in the league, maybe he can turn Routt's career around too.

I think a lot of it depends on Routt. If he's a problem child he won't be here long. If he takes coaching, works hard, keeps a good attitude, and is a good locker room guy, he could thrive here and actually be an upgrade long-term. Interesting signing with very little downside risk.

Kudos again to SmiPhilliak!:texflag:

SAMURAITEXAN
12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Welcome back to Texas Stanford!!! Now, you are true Texan!!!

Go Texans!!!

76Texan
12-04-2012, 04:00 PM
If you google NFL cornerback rankings 2010 or 2011, two articles will appear.

One from Football Outsider for 2010; it rated him very highly (but I don't think they take into account penalties)

For 2011, there's one from PFF;
He doesn't appear on the goodie list nor the baddie list.
I guess we can assume that he's an OK CB.

Obviously, these are just numbers.

infantrycak
12-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Routt has all the athleticism to be an excellent DB. The questions are how well and how quickly he will listen to Vance and Wade. Good signing.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Routt has all the athleticism to be an excellent DB. The questions are how well and how quickly he will listen to Vance and Wade. Good signing.

All we need for him is to be a rental for the play-off drive; an insurance policy to our current injuries, really.

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Interesting to note that Routt was also worked by the Texans out shortly after his release by KC back in November.

The Pencil Neck
12-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Interesting to note that Routt was also worked by the Texans out shortly after his release by KC back in November.

Rick Smith has always said he has these regularly scheduled workouts throughout the season just to keep tabs on who's available.

Hopefully, it pays off this time.

eriadoc
12-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Hypothetical question - how will you feel if Routt sees the field soon and ahead of Brandon Harris?

Rey
12-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Hypothetical question - how will you feel if Routt sees the field soon and ahead of Brandon Harris?

I can't see that happening, but if it did then I would personally hope the decision was based on game experience and would hope it worked.

But I think Harris will get his opprotunity to succeed/fail.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 05:40 PM
All we need for him is to be a rental for the play-off drive; an insurance policy to our current injuries, really.

What we need is for him to understand where he's at, why he's here, & that this is an opportunity for him to get back to where he wants to be.

Sounds like he's been cut by two of the worse teams in the league in as many years. His stock is down. He can earn himself another fat contract over the next 9 weeks.

I like our corners, from Jjo to Roc. But if Routte was once a $20M player all he has to do is accept the coaching he's about to get and be a team player. He'll get his opportunity to show the talent is still there.

All he really needs to do now, is prove that he wasn't the problem at his other stops. We're desperate, sort of. But he's obviously Texans Worthy.

Rockville
12-04-2012, 06:09 PM

Agree. Added much needed depth considering the injuries, and what's available at this point in the season. Depth with experience. If the staff can coach him up into something more, then bonus.

Zo Mourning
12-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I see Routt more as an insurance, he will most likely be playing special teams to keep the likes of Harris, Carmichael more fresh. It's also to are benefit to have more quality DB's to see those 4 reciever sets that we will see in the playoffs.

Texan_Touchdown
12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Stanford can really come in and help us if he gets back to Oakland form. We play a good amount of man coverage and him playing man can help our D Line and visa versa.. I like the pick up simply because of raw talent alone but I hope he can adapt.. quickly

Texan_Touchdown
12-04-2012, 06:24 PM

Routt plays on the outside. He will most likely back up KJ. he may play in the dime...

kiwitexansfan
12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Hopefully getting cut by bad teams has humbled him a bit.

You never know.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I think Stanford got cut by the Raiders due to high priced contract. At KC, hopefully he just didn't fit their scheme or is he really that bad (cut by KC)?

Anyway, hopefully things work out for Stanford.

Go Texans!!!

robroy72
12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I think Stanford got cut by the Raiders due to high priced contract. At KC, hopefully he just didn't fit their scheme or is he really that bad (cut by KC)?

Anyway, hopefully things work out for Stanford.

Go Texans!!!

He was on a fair wedge of cash at KC as well, given where they are in the season I think that probably played into it.

The Raiders were my first love and I still look out for them if they are on TV; if he gets back to his 2010 form, he'll be great for us.

badboy
12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
This could be a Merry Christmas for both player and Texans.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
He was on a fair wedge of cash at KC as well, given where they are in the season I think that probably played into it.

The Raiders were my first love and I still look out for them if they are on TV; if he gets back to his 2010 form, he'll be great for us.

Thanks for info robroy! I feel much better about this signing.

Go Texans!!!

76Texan
12-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Sounds like he's only signed for one year, whatever that means.

His scheduled visit to the Steelers later on was cancelled.

Just finished watching week 1 vs Titans in 2010.

He had a clean game.

Two catches allowed (one for a TD) were in zone.
They are the responsibility of the safety, IMHO.
He was clearly passing off the receiver to the inside in cover 2.

No penalty.

amazing80
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Routt was TERRIBLE this year, hopefully he bounces back if given the chance to play, more of a st I think

Routt cleared waivers after being cut by the Chiefs on Monday. The 29-year-old allowed a dreadful 64.1 completion percentage, 491 yards, and three touchdowns in seven games as Kansas City's right corner this year, according to Pro Football Focus. Quarterbacks had an astronomical 111.9 rating throwing at Routt. Miami lost Richard Marshall (back) to injured reserve, Arizona has employed a rotation opposite Patrick Peterson, and Detroit's secondary has been ravaged by injuries. Routt should be able to find a job before season's end.
Related: Lions, Dolphins, Cardinals
Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

I think if JJo is ok we would do JJo, Jackson Harris/Ball, preferably Harris then Ball, and then Routt or CarMichael depending on how fast Routt learns the playbook

Nawzer
12-04-2012, 08:43 PM
I like this signing. I wasn't aware he was available and somewhat surprised, but I guess he wasn't having a great season. He has experience and has had success in this league with the Raiders. I don't think he'll be a starter unless something really bad happens, but I see him in nickel and dime situations where his speed and experience should be an asset. With Wade Phillips and Vance Joseph, I think Routt can certainly turn it around and if nothing else he can be a special teams guy.

TEXANRED
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Did they clear this with Schaub first?

TheMatrix31
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
If this guy costs us a game with a penalty or some other garbage....

CloakNNNdagger
12-04-2012, 09:47 PM
The Chiefs by mandate of their HC switched over to a 3-4 D 2 years ago. To this day, they are still built for a 4-3. For that reason, they are near the bottom of the league in sacks and commonly hang out their CBs to dry. I'm thinking that, his new pass rush-effective scheme here will lend itself to a conducive environment where Routt could show a very dramatic turn around back to his old Raiders bump and run self.

The Pencil Neck
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Provided he's not a total headcase... this could turn out to be a very good signing.

michaelm
12-04-2012, 10:58 PM
What's his rep as a tackler?

76Texan
12-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I've read all the game analysis at PFF for 2012.
He only had one bad game against the Bucs.

His agent claimed that he only had 3 "bad plays" this year.
One of them was in the Bucs game, and it was really just a good throw and a good catch.

I'm going watch that game soon.

Right now, I had his first game agains the Falcons.
He had a good solid game against a very good tandem of receivers.

Step by step with Julio Jones on a deep go route; incompletion

Tackled a receiver, forcing a fumble; ball out of bound however.
7 yd catch.
Not even his responsibility.

14yd TD to Julio Jones on a picked screen.
Illegal pick; the other receiver came straight off the bat to cut down Routt before the ball arrived.
Ex-HC Billick even said that ref missed that call.
It's not poor coverage to begin with.

Good coverage on Rodd White in the red zone; Matt Ryan had to throw the ball away.

31yd catch by Jones on a post route.
Chiefs in Tampa 2 (zone).
Routt jammed receiver for a long time before passing him off.
RB out of the backfield was entering Routt's underneath zone.

The fact that the safety made the tackle 31 yards from the LOS should indicate that he was terrible in his positioning and technique.
What was he doing dropping 32 yards deep and not even pay attention to react to the pass; it was caught about 20 yards from the LOS.

Zero penalty for the game.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Extra: Matt Ryans stole Jacques Reeves's paycheck, LOL.

Poor guy, how he manage to start for an NFL team, I don't know.
Tell you something about the Chiefs' talent evaluation. :toropalm:

TejasTom
12-05-2012, 12:09 AM

Routt demonstrates technique here: Stanford Routt NFLN TotalAccess FieldDemo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wnqt2R1X7E)

76Texan
12-05-2012, 12:19 AM
Routt demonstrates technique here: Stanford Routt NFLN TotalAccess FieldDemo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wnqt2R1X7E)

Thanks, I've seen that.
It might have been posted earlier in the thread... I think.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Week 6 Bucs

This is his worst game of the year, per PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/15/refo-chiefs-bucs-week-6/

Routted

It all began reasonably well for Stanford Routt (-3.1), as he held his own for four weeks. It started to go south against Baltimore in the last game with a couple of penalties and some pretty tepid run defense. This week it was his pass coverage that was held up to a fairly harsh spotlight. He allowed four of six passes to be completed into his coverage for 154 yards and a touchdown. Sure, he was a bit unlucky on the 62-yarder to Tiquan Underwood, but let’s not forget he was beaten badly by Vincent Jackson with 4:59 gone in the second only for the ex-Charger to fail to locate a reasonably well thrown pass in the air.

To add insult, some of the angles he took in trying to chase down ball carriers were poor, which meant that overall this will not be a day he looks back on with any pride.

Actually, there was only one running play in which he was not in good position; I'll get to it pretty soon here.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Almost pulled in an INT on a tip ball; safety came up and collided with Routt.

Allowed a 62yd catch and run TD to M. Williams (32 yards after catch.)
(Highligt can be seen at NFL.com under Week 6 can't miss play: Williams)
[URL="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012101401/2012/REG6/chiefs@buccaneers#menu=highlights&tab=recap"]

Routt played on-man coverage.
He turned and ran with the receiver on an outside release.
He was actually ahead of the receiver.
He even turn his head to locate the ball.
Because he was a little too fast, he overran the ball a little and miss-timed it while trying to reach back for the ball.
The receiver somehow managed to make a leaping catch and ran for the TD.
Routt's foreward momentum carried him away from the receiver.

The single deep safety was playing way on the other side of the far hashmarks
(bad positioning - he shoulda been in the middle of the field.)
He then missed the tackle at the 10yd line and allowed the TD.
If he was in the middle of the field; he should be able to make the play somewhere between the 15-20 yd line.

Bad play by Routt; but it was rather unfortunate.
He played it very well until the end.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Almost allowed a 34 yd pass to Vincent Jackson (a speedy receiver) on the sideline.
He got beat, but recovered and would have made the tackle along with the single deep safety who was in the right position this time.

Pass was overthrown, incompleted.
He was able to hinder the receiver slightly.
Who knows, this might have been enough to disrupt the timing of the route.

Similar play to V Jackson again.
This time, Routt played the outside release very well.
He pinned the receiver right close to the side line.
Freeman had to throw the ball away.

15 yd to V Jackson on a slant.
Chiefs dropped into a 3 deep 4 under zone.
This one actually was not Routt's responsibility.
He did well to make this play.

Made another play on a 45 yd catch and run to the RB D. Martin.
Routt was playing man; he was following his receiver on a post route
but was able to somehow see the play and turn back to help the single deep safety
force the runner out of bound.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 01:08 AM
62yd catch and run by Underwood.
(Highlight at NFL.com under "Underwood has big hair...")

Rout got unlucky here.
He was in good position and jumped up to deflect the ball at the 42.
The ball bounced up and somehow the receiver managed to pull in the catch
and ran to the 17 where he was tackled by the safety.

The odd thing is that the single deep safety started the play by running all the way to the numbers on the other side of the field before reading the QB.
That is really strange.

Allowed a 15yd back shoulder fade to V. Jackson.
Rout was right there and even had a hand in there, but Jackson is a big tall receiver.
QB put the ball where only the receiver can get to.

35 yd run off LG by L. Blount.
Routt's own momentum (when he came up to play the edge) pushed him out of the play.
Obviously, the main problem was with the front 7.
Routt's first assignment was the edge; the runner made the cut back inside the LG.
Routt's vision was clouded by several big bodies to his inside.

Specnatz
12-05-2012, 01:09 AM

You aint cheating you aint trying.

kiwitexansfan
12-05-2012, 04:00 AM

OR It's only cheating if you get caught.

qman_tx
12-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Like!

He's the one who chased down Jerome Mathis on a return a few years back.

Remember how fast Mathis was?
And Routt chased him down from across the field.

This play!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801d223a/Jerome-Mathis-Highlight-WK-13-vs-Raiders-2006

Yeah he is fast...

Goatcheese
12-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Week 6 Bucs

This is his worst game of the year, per PFF.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/15/refo-chiefs-bucs-week-6/

Actually, there was only one running play in which he was not in good position; I'll get to it pretty soon here.

I've started taking PFF less seriously. They don't seem to understand coverage and assignment concepts. They tend to assign responsibility for a catch to whoever was closest at the time the catch was made, regardless of who was supposed to be there.

For example: Cover 3 and the safety in the middle zone jumps a hitch and go letting the slot receiver get behind him down the middle of the field. The RCB comes from 20+ yards away and catches the receiver from behind to prevent a TD. They marked it as a bad play against the corner when it was actually a great play on his part.

Señor Stan
12-05-2012, 08:24 AM
This play!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801d223a/Jerome-Mathis-Highlight-WK-13-vs-Raiders-2006

Yeah he is fast...

Oh how times have changed...

the next play on the highlight reel was a TD run by Wali Lundy.

http://www.hoosfootball.com/images/p1_lundy.jpg

Link to Wali's music (http://www.reverbnation.com/Walun)

on a side note...

Wali Sultan Lundy is a rapper and former American football running back who played for the National Football League. He is currently a free agent.

Ya think so doctor?

HOU-TEX
12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Wasn't Wali the one that got busted for burning cabbage at a park? That was awesome

Specnatz
12-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Wasn't Wali the one that got busted for burning cabbage at a park? That was awesome

I thought that was Mathis?

76Texan
12-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Thanks, I've seen that.
It might have been posted earlier in the thread... I think.

My mistake, Tom.
I found that clip and then I saw a link posted at HT.com

Spec, after watching some more game film, I saw why he was called for a few ticky_tac foul of the 5_yd variety and a few (PIs); hand fighting like JJo.

The refs can pick and choose when to call 'em fouls.

badboy
12-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Now if someone would cut a NT to back up Cody while David Hunter learns next season....

76Texan
12-05-2012, 10:26 AM

Alright, believe it or not, I had watched all the 7 games he played this year and a couple in 2011.
It went pretty quickly, really.

On Game Rewind, you can turn on the playlist in a column next to the video.

Routt played LCB with the Chiefs as opposed to Rcb with the Raiders.

I watched all the plays going to his side and all the pass or run plays longer than 15 yards to either side.

You can get to each play with just a click of the mouse.

In 2010, he was called for 12 penalties.
They showed a graphic display in a 2011 game.
There was no breakdown as to how many was of the 5_yd variety.

In 7 games of this season, he was called for 2 of those; one of them probably deserving (a little too much hand fight just beyond the 5-yd limit.

He was called for one PI that goes for 12 yards.
That one, I must say I disagree.
He was ahead of the receiver, I think he should have the right to encroach to steer the receiver further to the sideline; it's not like he blatantly cut in front of the receiver.

I really like what I saw; he's a starter in this league, there's no doubt.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I've started taking PFF less seriously. They don't seem to understand coverage and assignment concepts. They tend to assign responsibility for a catch to whoever was closest at the time the catch was made, regardless of who was supposed to be there.

For example: Cover 3 and the safety in the middle zone jumps a hitch and go letting the slot receiver get behind him down the middle of the field. The RCB comes from 20+ yards away and catches the receiver from behind to prevent a TD. They marked it as a bad play against the corner when it was actually a great play on his part.

Agree. They have too few people to watch too many games at the detail level.

I take their numbers and combine them with several other sites and my own observation to come to a better understanding of each situation.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
The Chiefs by mandate of their HC switched over to a 3-4 D 2 years ago. To this day, they are still built for a 4-3. For that reason, they are near the bottom of the league in sacks and commonly hang out their CBs to dry. I'm thinking that, his new pass rush-effective scheme here will lend itself to a conducive environment where Routt could show a very dramatic turn around back to his old Raiders bump and run self.

The Chiefs pass rush is lacking, that's for sure.

On top of that they played quite a bit of zone where often a receiver can find a soft spot.

They also had him play the shuffle technique once in a while; and like we've discussed it, it doesn't help on those 10-15 yards routes near the sideline.

beerlover
12-05-2012, 10:42 AM
bottom line: not being on same page with coaching staff is recipe for failure in the league. I doubt he will have similar problems with Vance & Texan coaching staff, hence the signing suggests both sides bought in to each other :kitten:

DocBar
12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
bottom line: not being on same page with coaching staff is recipe for failure in the league. I doubt he will have similar problems with Vance & Texan coaching staff, hence the signing suggests both sides bought in to each other :kitten:It's a lot easier to get on board with a scheme when the team is 11-1 as opposed to 2-10. Besides, I think the Texan's locker room is more than capable of dealing with any BS that affects morale.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 11:27 AM
What's his rep as a tackler?

Tackling can be a complicated proposition.

If a guy is in coverage; it's a little more straightforward.

Still, there are always exception.

Ok, let's say a guy gets beat, but he recovered somewhat to come back and makes a swipe at the receiver.

He gets just a piece of the guy, slowing him down just enough for another defender to make the stop; he's still charged with a miss.

Another guy couldn't recover and so the receiver runs free for a TD;
This CB is not charged for a miss.

Similarly, a CB coming up for run support; he was aware of the situation to get off his man successfully, but not cleanly enough to have the proper angle or enough time to make a good tackle. He's charged with a miss.

Another CB got taken out of the play by his man; he's not charged with a miss.
In reality, this guy is a thousand time worse than the other.

That said, you can google "cornerback tackling profootballfocus".
Choose the article that has the title begin with "Madden Maniac".

It gives you an idea when you compare those pure numbers (especially for a 3-yr span between 09-11) with those of JJo and Asomugha.

Get ready for a treat.

76Texan
12-05-2012, 11:30 AM
It's a lot easier to get on board with a scheme when the team is 11-1 as opposed to 2-10. Besides, I think the Texan's locker room is more than capable of dealing with any BS that affects morale.

Routt must be a happy camper right now.

Money in the pocket going home.
Now he can play for fun and a SB ring.

You can't beat that.
Hopefully, he takes advantage of this special situation and works his butt off.

Playoffs
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Routt must be a happy camper right now.
No doubt, he just landed in the playoffs with a contender. If he chirps a peep of discontent here, dude doesn't want to play football. I expect we'll get his best behavior & game, whatever that is today.

thunderkyss
12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
bottom line: not being on same page with coaching staff is recipe for failure in the league. I doubt he will have similar problems with Vance & Texan coaching staff, hence the signing suggests both sides bought in to each other :kitten:

He'll also be competing for playing time where he was signed in KC as a starter.

beerlover
12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
He'll also be competing for playing time where he was signed in KC as a starter.

re-routt

badboy
12-05-2012, 02:29 PM
re-routtGood, I was thinking "Let's rout the opponent!"

Errant Hothy
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
For those that care, Routt will wear #30

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/276437843797241856

Newly-signed CB Stanford Routt will wear number 30 for the #Texans

Texn4life
12-05-2012, 04:47 PM
For those that care, Routt will wear #30

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/276437843797241856

The last pickup we had midseason off the street who wore number 30 worked out pretty decent for us. Hopefully he can give us some of what Allen brought to the table last year. Our scheme isn't complicated in the secondary because we play so much Man coverage. I expect him to see the field Monday.

drs23
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
The last pickup we had midseason off the street who wore number 30 worked out pretty decent for us. Hopefully he can give us some of what Allen brought to the table last year. Our scheme isn't complicated in the secondary because we play so much Man coverage. I expect him to see the field Monday.

OK, cool. You answered part of my question. Where's he most likely to play? I'm thinking if JJo can't go then KJ will get the #1 and Routt will take the #2 outside with noflyzone in the slot. Is that what folks are thinking as well, or something completely different?

Texn4life
12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
OK, cool. You answered part of my question. Where's he most likely to play? I'm thinking if JJo can't go then KJ will get the #1 and Routt will take the #2 outside with noflyzone in the slot. Is that what folks are thinking as well, or something completely different?

We very rarely have our Corners follow players around the field so I'd expect that to be the case on Monday. They'll likely figure out where Routt is more comfortable on the field and leave him there. JJo playing will dictate how much he's gonna be on the field to be honest with you. If JJo plays expext Routt to rotate in with him to not overwork him and keep him fresh similar to how we rotated Allen and KJ last year. I anticipate Harris playing in the slot all game. I just think he's more suited for that role than any of our other corners.

pirbroke
12-05-2012, 05:33 PM
How could a player learn the terms of another teams defense so fast for Monday. Wouldn't it be a dead giveaway when he is on the field then were definitely in man coverage or does that matter because we don't play much zone or disguise what the backend is doing. I really have no clue how often we play man because I was a basketball and baseball player in my youth . But I have seen samples of playbooks that y'all have posted from teams from the 90s or something and they seem really daunting to learn. I know he probably has ran every play imaginable but don't they kinda scream at each the play after the offense is set up or kinda on the fly as to say. This is a honest question that I have no clue about.

badboy
12-05-2012, 05:41 PM
If Routt gets on field I expect him to play off WR a bit and try not give up big play. I am concerned he might try to prove his worth and take too much risk going for INT.

GuerillaBlack
12-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Oh how times have changed...

the next play on the highlight reel was a TD run by Wali Lundy.

http://www.hoosfootball.com/images/p1_lundy.jpg

Link to Wali's music (http://www.reverbnation.com/Walun)

on a side note...

Ya think so doctor?

I remember being so excited about him after that Jacksonville and Tenneesee games. Then he flamed out...

76Texan
12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
How could a player learn the terms of another teams defense so fast for Monday. Wouldn't it be a dead giveaway when he is on the field then were definitely in man coverage or does that matter because we don't play much zone or disguise what the backend is doing. I really have no clue how often we play man because I was a basketball and baseball player in my youth . But I have seen samples of playbooks that y'all have posted from teams from the 90s or something and they seem really daunting to learn. I know he probably has ran every play imaginable but don't they kinda scream at each the play after the offense is set up or kinda on the fly as to say. This is a honest question that I have no clue about.

Routt has learned a lot of different schemes and techniques by now.

The concept that Wade brings is really quite simple if the guys are veterans.
He combines the zone concept and the man concept together in such a way that allows guys to play fast without thinking too much.

In basketball it's like switched man defense.
You're playing zone without even knowing that you are in zone.

From there, he works backward.
After you're familiar with it all, you can play more effective zone.
You learn to stretch your zone in a natural way that is just the same concept; the implementation is just a reverse of the previous process.

It is not easy to describe, but I can see that once you're in it for a little while, it will become quite natural.
Much sooner than a guy who play man coverage all his life being trusted into a zone scheme that he's not familiar with.

It still takes a little time, but for a vet who had seen both, it shouldn't take long.

drs23
12-05-2012, 07:28 PM
Routt has learned a lot of different schemes and techniques by now.

The concept that Wade brings is really quite simple if the guys are veterans.
He combines the zone concept and the man concept together in such a way that allows guys to play fast without thinking too much.

In basketball it's like switched man defense.
You're playing zone without even knowing that you are in zone.

From there, he works backward.
After you're familiar with it all, you can play more effective zone.
You learn to stretch your zone in a natural way that is just the same concept; the implementation is just a reverse of the previous process.

It is not easy to describe, but I can see that once you're in it for a little while, it will become quite natural.
Much sooner than a guy who play man coverage all his life being trusted into a zone scheme that he's not familiar with.

It still takes a little time, but for a vet who had seen both, it shouldn't take long.

So, what 'cha thinkin' here 76? 1/2 a quarter, a full 1/2? :kitten:

EllisUnit
12-05-2012, 10:20 PM
If Routt gets on field I expect him to play off WR a bit and try not give up big play. I am concerned he might try to prove his worth and take too much risk going for INT.

I hope he does, we have pretty good safties and i'm sure that the CBs will have plenty of help. Hopefully his risks pay off, never know who the next game changer might be.

CloakNNNdagger
12-05-2012, 10:35 PM
I hope he does, we have pretty good safties and i'm sure that the CBs will have plenty of help. Hopefully his risks pay off, never know who the next game changer might be.

Unlike what I've seen in most games so far, one of our safeties seem to always be playing up close....and our remaining safety has been left to try to cover both CBs over the top..........won't work with a prolific passer like Brady. I don't want to see our CBs as the last line of defense with Brady......they will eventually get killed, no matter who they are.:wadepalm:

EllisUnit
12-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Unlike what I've seen in most games so far, one of our safeties seem to always be playing up close....and our remaining safety has been left to try to cover both CBs over the top..........won't work with a prolific passer like Brady. I don't want to see our CBs as the last line of defense with Brady......they will eventually get killed, no matter who they are.:wadepalm:

Yeah i know but i dont see them playing close to the line much this game if so we are in deep **** and it will turn into a shoot out. Wade needs to trust the D-Line and LBs to get pressure on Brady and let the safties roam the field to help the CBs.

Rey
12-05-2012, 11:23 PM
We very rarely have our Corners follow players around the field so I'd expect that to be the case on Monday.

I think wade has been having our corners follow a specific man more than we have in the past.

Texn4life
12-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I think wade has been having our corners follow a specific man more than we have in the past.

I've only seen us do it 2 or 3 out of 12 games this year that I can think of. That's not a high percentage at all. But you're right in that its more than what we did last year.

DocBar
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Unlike what I've seen in most games so far, one of our safeties seem to always be playing up close....and our remaining safety has been left to try to cover both CBs over the top..........won't work with a prolific passer like Brady. I don't want to see our CBs as the last line of defense with Brady......they will eventually get killed, no matter who they are.:wadepalm:For Wade to keep both safeties back, the front 4-5 are gonna have to have a whale of a game and make Brady uncomfortable quickly. The front 7 will also have to stop a pretty good running game. NE uses a good amount of PA, so they safeties will have to be very disciplined.

thunderkyss
12-06-2012, 08:57 AM

eh..... I've seen our safeties in the exact formation you described before the snap, then after the snap the one close to the line drops into deep underneath coverage while the CB stays on top one the same side, while the other rolls over the top of the other side where the CBs stay under the recievers.

I've also seen where they are both high before the snap, but one or both move up into under coverage while the CBs stay on top.

I've seen our DBs completely change the actual coverage they are in from the look they gave before snap.

Tom Brady isn't perfect. Our window of opportunity may be smaller, but he's stoppable. They've already lost three games this year & chances are they'll lose another before the end of the season. Our defense is as good as any other & our offense is better than most.

May as well be Monday night they get their 4th loss.

CloakNNNdagger
12-06-2012, 09:23 AM
eh..... I've seen our safeties in the exact formation you described before the snap, then after the snap the one close to the line drops into deep underneath coverage while the CB stays on top one the same side, while the other rolls over the top of the other side where the CBs stay under the recievers.

I've also seen where they are both high before the snap, but one or both move up into under coverage while the CBs stay on top.

I've seen our DBs completely change the actual coverage they are in from the look they gave before snap.

Tom Brady isn't perfect. Our window of opportunity may be smaller, but he's stoppable. They've already lost three games this year & chances are they'll lose another before the end of the season. Our defense is as good as any other & our offense is better than most.

May as well be Monday night they get their 4th loss.

That may be all well and good. But I've seen our CBs beaten too often in critical situations with a single safety not being there over the top or getting there too late. And if we bring in that safety because of an inadequate front 7 pass rush or run D, expect to see Brady slice up our CBs better than Emeril on the Food Network.

76Texan
12-06-2012, 09:28 AM
I've only seen us do it 2 or 3 out of 12 games this year that I can think of. That's not a high percentage at all. But you're right in that its more than what we did last year.

If you're talking about shadowing a guy the whole game (or pretty much the whole game like in box-and-one) the way we had Jackson shadowing Dexter McCluster a couple of years ago, then no, we don't.

We could be in man for a large part of the game, but we always sprinkle in something here and there to keep the QB guessing.

Troy Aikman used to talk about this in different game when I studied the Cowboys' tape when we first hired Wade.

76Texan
12-06-2012, 09:34 AM
That may be all well and good. But I've seen our CBs beaten too often in critical situations with a single safety not being there over the top or getting there too late. And if we bring in that safety because of an inadequate front 7 pass rush or run D, expect to see Brady slice up our CDs better than Emeril on the Food Network.

That's why having JJo is important.
(I like Routt, too - when he gets acclimated with the scheme, I believe he can do it as well.)

We disguise our coverage and mix in different things to try to confuse the QB.
Two good CBs and a single high safety are normally enough to cover 2 WRs.

Once in a while, the safety will be a liitle out of position; like Demps was shading a bit too much to the other side, and was held off by a fraction of a sec by the QB's look; but if KJax didn't jump the inside, he should be able to cover the receiver well enough for Demps to come over the top.

It gives us the flexibility in the pass rush by bringing different guys (including the safety or the nickel back) every time.

The blitz in turn, was supposed to help the CBs.

Sometimes you lose; most time, it give you the edge, and you win more.

It's much more exciting to watch then the old cover 2 of Richard Smith and Frank Bush.

76Texan
12-06-2012, 09:35 AM
So, what 'cha thinkin' here 76? 1/2 a quarter, a full 1/2? :kitten:

I think he can play right away in a platoon situation, really.

Rey
12-06-2012, 09:48 AM

I don't know how many times we do it now, but we never used to do it...

But I know that last year in both Baltimore match ups our guys were following specific receivers around.

And I believe in the ATL game JJO was on Roddy White the entire game.

I think it happens more than you think it happens.

In the Detroit game this year they were following certain receivers...

Some of that may be due to WR's lining up in the same position on every snap, but we've heard the team come out and specifically say certain guys were assigned to particular WR's....

That was my point.

I don't think you can say with any kind of certainty that they won't assign guys in this game.

76Texan
12-06-2012, 10:04 AM

But I know that last year in both Baltimore match ups our guys were following specific receivers around.

Some of that may be due to WR's lining up in the same position on every snap, but we've heard the team come out and specifically say certain guys were assigned to particular WR's....

That was my point.

I don't think you can say with any kind of certainty that they won't assign guys in this game.
In most game we do have a guy like JJo as the primary defender on Roddy, but once in a while, we would have a switch or we would be in zone, or we would play quarter.

There are a lot of different things that we might do during the course of the game.

I have described a few different ways we combat the classic 2-receiver route or one of its variation.

Another thing we might do is when both main receivers are on the same side; we could let one CB releasing his man to jump the underneath route.
The safety and the other CB play deep over the top.
The safety could be guarding the outside or inside portion of the field, depending on the situation.

Rey
12-06-2012, 10:06 AM
In most game we do have a guy like JJo as the primary defender on Roddy, but once in a while, we would have a switch or we would be in zone, or we would play quarter.

There are a lot of different things that we might do during the course of the game.

I have described a few different ways we combat the classic 2-receiver route or one of its variation.

Another thing we might do is when both main receivers are on the same side; we could let one CB releasing his man to jump the underneath route.
The safety and the other CB play deep over the top.
The safety could be guarding the outside or inside portion of the field, depending on the situation.

That doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about....

I think everyone knows we don't come out and play pure man to man the whole entire game...

76Texan
12-06-2012, 10:15 AM
That doesn't have anything to do with what we were talking about....

I think everyone knows we don't come out and play pure man to man the whole entire game...

If you two are talking about primary assignment, then yes, we do assign specific defenders on specific receivers quite often.

Even though it can change like in the Detroit game.
Alan was on CJ for the most part in the first half (even though KJax were also on him a few times.)

That changed in the second half when we put KJax on Megatron.

Big Lou
12-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Thought that was Eric Wright. Does sound familiar that one of the RB we took in the 15th round, that Kubes said were great, and got cut, got in trouble at some oint.

Big Lou
12-06-2012, 10:28 AM
This play!

Yeah he is fast...

Is that the game that ruined Dunta?

thunderkyss
12-06-2012, 10:35 AM
expect to see Brady slice up our CBs better than Emeril on the Food Network.

Well see.

Decided to do some looking. The Patriots lost games to Arizona, Seattle, & Baltimore. Decided to look & see how those teams pass defense compare to the Texans.

Seattle(5) & Arizona(3) are top 5. Baltimore is ranked 23, we're 19

Seattle & Arizona have no offense. The much improved Baltimore offense is 19th in the league. We are 4th. Their passing offense is 15, ours is 10. Their rushing offense is 23rd ours is 6th.

Just found those interesting.

Texn4life
12-06-2012, 11:00 AM

That was my point.

I'm saying that we don't do it as much as some other teams may do it. And I'm not saying that we won't have guys assigned to certain receivers this game. That's a very real possibility. I'm just saying I don't think we will based on a couple of different factors. I could be wrong though. JJo playing or not playing is going to affect the entire game plan in my view.

thunderkyss
12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
So.... what do you think about this guy?

We didn't see much of him. Got a penalty on special teams, took a few snaps at CB..

Do you think he'll be a player?

I think we're going to need him to be. If Harris doesn't grow up quick, we're going to need someone who can play.

76Texan
12-13-2012, 04:51 PM
So.... what do you think about this guy?

We didn't see much of him. Got a penalty on special teams, took a few snaps at CB..

Do you think he'll be a player?

I think we're going to need him to be. If Harris doesn't grow up quick, we're going to need someone who can play.

If we have JJo healthy, I would have some kind of a rotation.
Routt is a more physical Allen, with even better speed.

I would put KJ in to shut down most slot receivers.
He can also alternate with Quin on a TE or the two of them can handle the two TEs in a 2-Te set.

We can combo these guys against the Pats when they have Woodhead, Welker, Hernandez, Gronskowski, and another Receiver (let's say Lloyd) in the game (if the Pats choose to go with that personnel).

Put KJax and Routt on Woodhead and Welker;
They are both more physical than these two guys, just knock the snot out of them.

JJo can be on Lloyd with Manning and Quin on the two TEs.

Demps can be the deep safety and we can have a LB to cover the short hole or to blitz from this dime formation.

Well, ya know, it's just one particular matchup that I think can be efficient against that particular formation from the Pats.

I don't think any of our LBs match up well with Woodhead or with their TEs.

By covering the short hole and the deep middle, all the other guys would get help in man coverage.