PDA

View Full Version : Defense 12/2/2012

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
What are your thoughts on the Texans' defense from Sunday's game. We saw issues against the Jags and again against the Lions. My thoughts were that we didn't have a lot of time to adjust to the personnel that ended up playing those games. We lost key pieces as those games went on & had to make adjustments & get a win at the same time.

It looked ugly, but considering I don't think it was too bad. My contention was to give Wade some time and some consistency in personnel & he'd whip up a batch of lemonade.

I expected him to have his lineup determined before the game then go with the best he had available. I think he one-upped me & actually got everyone involved, probably thinking we're going to need them at some time.

We saw Rudd, Sharpton, & Dobbins (man that guy can lay a hit) all in the ILB rotation. I didn't see Braman get in on the OLB rotation. Too busy watching Whitney & how well he played.

Brandon Harris, I like his energy. You can tell he's excited, wants to play, & wants to make a difference. Roc probably got more time than we thought he would, but overall I'm impressed with him.

Manning may have been an unsung hero Sunday. They didn't call his name much, but he was every where.

I can't wait till we get our starters back. I'm not saying any different. But I feel better now (as opposed to after the Jags & Lions game) about wrapping up the season with the guys Wade has.

What do you think?

ChampionTexan
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
My thoughts on the defense are that considering that 3 of our top 4 CB's were out for some or all of the game, I'm much more concerned about our offense - who other than the opening drive didn't score a TD where the drive started outside the Titans 20 yard line, and only coverted 4 of 17 third down attempts.

Just to clarify, I absolutely believe they can go into New England and play a much much better offensive game than they did yesterday, but I also believe they're gonna have to if they have any hope of beating the Pats.

TexanSam
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I thought the defense played really well yesterday considering we were out 3 CBs and one more injury away from having to put Posey in the secondary. We were also able to consistently pressure Locker all game, something we hadn't been able to do against the Jags and Lions. 6 turnovers doesn't hurt either.

Trail.Blazr
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I can't wait till we get our starters back.

What do you think?

This pretty much sums it up for me. Injuries take an element of greatness out of Wade's playbook/scheme. Every single one. You say you can't wait. I say I hope and pray we will. But, it's the end of the season, and if we can get some luck on the injury front, we should feel good about our bench getting a ton of reps, if we can roll into the post season with most of our starters back, healthy and effective.

sportfan73
12-03-2012, 12:01 PM
D looked great for nearly 3 quarters, and that is the point Kubiak's teams always let down a bit.

Manning was in perfect position on the first long pass play, he knocks it away, and we shut their asses down for ~40+ minutes of football in their place.

dsorc
12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
3 of the top 4 CBs out for most of the game.
3 of the starting LBs out with the one remaining (Barwin) playing on the opposite side of where he usually is.
And yet we got 6 sacks and 6 takeaways. I know the Titans haven't done well but that's pure genius.

I did see Braman come in at OLB once. It was on the play where we got called for 12 men on the field because Mercilus couldn't get out quickly enough. He stayed at WOLB for a couple of snaps after that. Don't know if he got in on any other series.

DocBar
12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I thought the D looked OK. The score could've been much different if not for turnovers, which you can't rely on. They did a lot of bending, but didn't break. Pretty good job for having so many injuries.

badboy
12-03-2012, 12:13 PM
What are your thoughts on the Texans' defense from Sunday's game. We saw issues against the Jags and again against the Lions. My thoughts were that we didn't have a lot of time to adjust to the personnel that ended up playing those games. We lost key pieces as those games went on & had to make adjustments & get a win at the same time.

It looked ugly, but considering I don't think it was too bad. My contention was to give Wade some time and some consistency in personnel & he'd whip up a batch of lemonade.

I expected him to have his lineup determined before the game then go with the best he had available. I think he one-upped me & actually got everyone involved, probably thinking we're going to need them at some time.

We saw Rudd, Sharpton, & Dobbins (man that guy can lay a hit) all in the ILB rotation. I didn't see Braman get in on the OLB rotation. Too busy watching Whitney & how well he played.

Brandon Harris, I like his energy. You can tell he's excited, wants to play, & wants to make a difference. Roc probably got more time than we thought he would, but overall I'm impressed with him.

Manning may have been an unsung hero Sunday. They didn't call his name much, but he was every where.

I can't wait till we get our starters back. I'm not saying any different. But I feel better now (as opposed to after the Jags & Lions game) about wrapping up the season with the guys Wade has.

What do you think?I wanted to see some backups get significant playing time and was pleased with Harris intensity as he should be real good next season. On O, I saw with one TD play what I wanted from Jean. This game was satisfying especially with Harris subbing for Newton. I almost fainted when D Brown went out.

eriadoc
12-03-2012, 12:14 PM
The rules favor the offense. The old adage "defense wins championships" is less true than it ever was, not that it was ever 100% true anyway. A great defense can hold down the QBs like Sanchez and Gabbert, but like we saw last year against Brees, when an elite QB has the ball with a couple minutes to go and the game on the line, it's now to the point where you expect that QB to deliver more often than not. This year, we have seen elite QBs like Rodgers, Manning, and Stafford (and Henne, LOL) tear up the Texans defense. You can blame injuries, but every team has injuries, and Rodgers faced them pretty close to their best.

If this defense can't find a way to stop guys like Brees, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers (much less Henne and Locker), then the offense has to step up. And I don't mean scoring 24 points against a hapless team like the Titans. I mean put up enough points to bury a team. When the playoffs come around, you only get one shot. There's no fixing it next week, and all these mindless chants of "11-1!!" won't matter.

Don't ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat.

noxiousdog
12-03-2012, 12:22 PM
They only gave up 10 points and caused 6 turnovers. That's a good day.

b0ng
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Barrett Ruud started at ILB and it wasn't a complete disaster, I'm actually amazed at that.

DocBar
12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Barrett Ruud started at ILB and it wasn't a complete disaster, I'm actually amazed at that.I thought Ruud played pretty good.

deucetx
12-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Nothing stood out to me. Carmichael had some issues but after a bit I noticed his coverage tighten. First time out there with some real playing time so I didn't think much on it. Same goes for Harris who I think was even more tight on his receivers. A little aggressive but as a former corner who had the same issue, I like it.

Only thing that I may have find tiresome is our over reliance on man to man coverage. Brady generally eats that alive unless you get in his face constantly. Then again Wade could be holding back because just imagine if you study film on the Texans and you see man, man, man almost week after week. Think how different things would be for someone who suddenly tried to read our coverage and finds we're in zone.

Or I could be reaching, heh. Wade likes the blitz after all or feels the need to so our pass rush can stay relevant. Great push by our resident ninja though yesterday. Watt was...well...Watt. Dobbins was all over the place and even Rudd looked pretty good.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-03-2012, 04:45 PM
I think Wade placed pieces of puzzle back together. With all the key injuries we had on D side, it is amazing to see how our D able to perform at good level. I hope, J Jo comes back soon. I am looking forward to Merci getting more reps and grow with experience.

Go Texans!!!

Texans_Chick
12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Worry about Roc. Not just against the Patriots.

Like Ruud's football IQ. Will be tested next week.

Like Cody back. Keeps line fresher.

The idea that they had to tell Posey to be prepared just in case another guy went down was scary.

Because they are waiting for guys to come back, and there's so many guys that are GTD (gametime decision), the remaining guys will be getting lots of snaps which can also risk injury. The key for the Patriots game is for the Texans to play their sort of game. Ball control. Consistent running. Moving the chains on 3rd down. Not getting behind. They had a ton of penalties the last game, more than their average. They can't do that.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 04:52 PM

The idea that they had to tell Posey to be prepared just in case another guy went down was scary.

Because they are waiting for guys to come back, and there's so many guys that are GTD (gametime decision), the remaining guys will be getting lots of snaps which can also risk injury. The key for the Patriots game is for the Texans to play their sort of game. Ball control. Consistent running. Moving the chains on 3rd down. Not getting behind. They had a ton of penalties the last game, more than their average. They can't do that.

And with the health issues what they are on the defense, the offense needs to keep them (& Brady) off the field as much as possible.

DocBar
12-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Because they are waiting for guys to come back, and there's so many guys that are GTD (gametime decision), the remaining guys will be getting lots of snaps which can also risk injury. The key for the Patriots game is for the Texans to play their sort of game. Ball control. Consistent running. Moving the chains on 3rd down. Not getting behind. They had a ton of penalties the last game, more than their average. They can't do that.Can you please give some details on why you would worry about Roc? I thought he looked like a 2nd year guy getting his 1st significant playing time, but not completely horrible.

Allstar
12-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Can you please give some details on why you would worry about Roc? I thought he looked like a 2nd year guy getting his 1st significant playing time, but not completely horrible.

Our aspirations deem this description not good enough. We're trying to win a championship.

DocBar
12-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Our aspirations deem this description not good enough. We're trying to win a championship.He should only get better with more reps. I'm not saying he's gonna go all JoJo or anything, but I just didn't think he was completely awful against a not very good Titans offense.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 05:27 PM
He should only get better with more reps. I'm not saying he's gonna go all JoJo or anything, but I just didn't think he was completely awful against a not very good Titans offense.

Right, we're headed down the home stretch. Roc just needs to force difficult throws & challenge a few balls. He just needs to get better so if we need him when the real season starts, he'll be ready & not trying to learn at that time.

NE, Indy, Minny, Indy..... It's not going to be easy, he just needs to play his role on the team.

76Texan
12-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Bring on the Pats!

If the refs just let them play in a normal way, I think we match up very well with the Pats.

We are the better team, really!

Dutchrudder
12-03-2012, 05:40 PM
He should only get better with more reps. I'm not saying he's gonna go all JoJo or anything, but I just didn't think he was completely awful against a not very good Titans offense.

Look how long it took Kareem (AKA "Most NFL ready CB in the draft") to get competent at the position. A 2nd year, 5th round CB will take a while before he learns the ropes, and it might not be until next year that we can count on him to play the nickle. He looked bad yesterday against a QB that was getting pressured a lot. The Pats and whoever we face in the playoffs will be much better than what we saw yesterday, and he will need to improve greatly to avoid being a weak link that gets picked on.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 05:53 PM
We are the better team, really!

I don't think that matters. Not against the Pats. They play to win. Doesn't matter who the better team is.

If you let them hang around, they'll beat you in the end.

TimeKiller
12-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Biggest standout to me was Brandon Harris. I'm not so sure McCain is indeed a better nickel corner. This guy had a bunch of passes defensed in his first real shot. I'm not saying he won't get burned, I'm saying McCain doesn't make that many plays per game. If Harris can keep that up or even improve he's the better man for the job.

Watt is just fantastic.

Ruud is playing way over his head. He's making the impact James was supposed to.

DocBar
12-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Look how long it took Kareem (AKA "Most NFL ready CB in the draft") to get competent at the position. A 2nd year, 5th round CB will take a while before he learns the ropes, and it might not be until next year that we can count on him to play the nickle. He looked bad yesterday against a QB that was getting pressured a lot. The Pats and whoever we face in the playoffs will be much better than what we saw yesterday, and he will need to improve greatly to avoid being a weak link that gets picked on.I understand what you're saying but consider that Roc will not be thrown to the wolves as KJ was and will be playing dime. He needs to fill his role adequately, not magically turn into Revis in a week. He's also not a rookie. He's had 1 1/2 seasons of learning under his belt. If he's even remotely competent, he should be able to adequately play the position he's being asked to play. He got the 1st game jitters out of the way against the flaming thumbtacks, so just maybe next week will be better.
Who knows, it could happen.

Maddict5
12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
just rewatched the game again in condensed version (awesome btw half an hr and ur done) after seeing some of the threads/opinions on here because i thought the defence played excellent yesterday...

after watching it again im not changing my mind- both roc and harris played excellent. roc gave up one big play where locker made that excellent throw to the right side when he threw it last second after it looked like he was going to run with it. harris had a penalty or two but otherwise it was tight coverage all the time & made nice plays. actually kareem (who didnt play badly either) was the one who gave up any other big play. excellent first outing for both new guys. id love to hear where ppl are getting that they looked 'bad' yesterday

other observations:

-like the last few games, we looked alot more dangerous running the ball with forsett & tate than with foster. alot of 2 yds and a cloud of dust in fosters running lately.

-for that matter, our whole skill position guys (apart from limited forsett/tate touches) were very meh all game apart from jean's big play

-pass rush was noticeably better yesterday

-ST are improving all the time: donnie jones was excellent, keshawn is looking more & more dangerous every wk (made some titan look rly silly yest on his big return) & graham even showed some leg. coverage teams have improved last couple wks too.

DocBar
12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
just rewatched the game again in condensed version (awesome btw half an hr and ur done) after seeing some of the threads/opinions on here because i thought the defence played excellent yesterday...

after watching it again im not changing my mind- both roc and harris played excellent. roc gave up one big play where locker made that excellent throw to the right side when he threw it last second after it looked like he was going to run with it. harris had a penalty or two but otherwise it was tight coverage all the time & made nice plays. actually kareem (who didnt play badly either) was the one who gave up any other big play. excellent first outing for both new guys. id love to hear where ppl are getting that they looked 'bad' yesterday

other observations:

-like the last few games, we looked alot more dangerous running the ball with forsett & tate than with foster. alot of 2 yds and a cloud of dust in fosters running lately.
-for that matter, our whole skill position guys (apart from limited forsett/tate touches) were very meh all game apart from jean's big play

-pass rush was noticeably better yesterday

-ST are improving all the time: donnie jones was excellent, keshawn is looking more & more dangerous every wk (made some titan look rly silly yest on his big return) & graham even showed some leg. coverage teams have improved last couple wks too.That seems to be the case for the whole season. Foster is getting tripped up just before he breaks a big one. That wasn't the case the last 2 seasons. Besides Foster, what is up with Texans slipping so much this year? Is someone sneaking around and spraying Pam on their cleats?

Maddict5
12-03-2012, 07:12 PM
also something that annoyed me on second watch:

on GQ's interception right at the end of the first half. he picked it off with about 5-6 secs left at the titans 41. it never looked like being a pick 6 as there's titans back and he has to start cutting across the field immediately. if he gets down there we get an attempt at a 50ish yd fg but he kept running and time ran out by the time he went out of bounds at the 25 yd line.... hard to pick on GQ because of the heat of the moment play & he had a great game but hopefully kubes can use it as a know your situation highlight for the pats game cos we cant be missing pts opportunities against them

Maddict5
12-03-2012, 07:22 PM
That seems to be the case for the whole season. Foster is getting tripped up just before he breaks a big one. That wasn't the case the last 2 seasons. Besides Foster, what is up with Texans slipping so much this year? Is someone sneaking around and spraying Pam on their cleats?

i only rly notice it with foster but now that you mention it, aj slipped on a bubble screen and OD slipped on a 3rd down yesterday.

hopefully arian's keeping it in the tank for when he'll really need it. the dirty secret of the texans season (which has been masked by his tds/continued tds good play in the RZ & # of carries) is that arian hasnt been running the ball well at all. his big play ability in the passing game has disappeared too. at the moment he just looks like a grinder

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
He got the 1st game jitters out of the way against the flaming thumbtacks, so just maybe next week will be better.
Who knows, it could happen.

He'll be going up against Brady & Welker. No way he's going to be "better" enough for someone who expected him to be a shutdown corner in his first real experience playing at this level.

DocBar
12-03-2012, 07:36 PM
i only rly notice it with foster but now that you mention it, aj slipped on a bubble screen and OD slipped on a 3rd down yesterday.

hopefully arian's keeping it in the tank for when he'll really need it. the dirty secret of the texans season (which has been masked by his tds/continued tds good play in the RZ & # of carries) is that arian hasnt been running the ball well at all. his big play ability in the passing game has disappeared too. at the moment he just looks like a grinderKeyshawn Martin has looked like he was on roller skates a few times, so has Forsett and Walter. Try to make a cut and end up on their backsides.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 10:21 AM
also something that annoyed me on second watch:

on GQ's interception right at the end of the first half. he picked it off with about 5-6 secs left at the titans 41. it never looked like being a pick 6 as there's titans back and he has to start cutting across the field immediately. if he gets down there we get an attempt at a 50ish yd fg but he kept running and time ran out by the time he went out of bounds at the 25 yd line.... hard to pick on GQ because of the heat of the moment play & he had a great game but hopefully kubes can use it as a know your situation highlight for the pats game cos we cant be missing pts opportunities against them

I think it's a No-Go.

He wasn't able to secure the ball until the 5-sec mark.
Say he kneels down; they won't blow the whistle until the 4-sec mark at the earliest.

A 57-58 yd FGA has more risk than reward.
We can be pretty sure (almost with 100% certainty) that with Kubiak, he'd just have Schaub kneel down to the end the half with the 21-3 lead.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Say he kneels down; they won't blow the whistle until the 4-sec mark at the earliest.

Clock stops with a change of possession.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 10:34 AM
Clock stops with a change of possession.

What can you do even with 5 secs?

DX-TEX
12-04-2012, 10:47 AM
What can you do even with 5 secs?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/426311/brettfavre.jpg

**** it! Im going deep!!

Maddict5
12-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I think it's a No-Go.

A 57-58 yd FGA has more risk than reward.
We can be pretty sure (almost with 100% certainty) that with Kubiak, he'd just have Schaub kneel down to the end the half with the 21-3 lead.

i meant instead of cutting across the field he goes straight upfield... gets his 5-10 yds and we try a fg with 2 secs left. its a very minor point & GQ is normally a very heady player anyway