PDA

View Full Version : Chances the Texans get the #1 seed

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 03:52 PM
I almost made this thread last week, however I didn't want to jinx the team and then everyone blame me for a historic collapse.

Now that they have clinched a spot, we can discuss this.

I've been playing on the old playoff machine over on ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine (For those who want to make their own scenario)

Now, we can lose to NE next week, and still get the #1 seed, as long as we beat Indy twice and the Vikings. That would put our record at 14-2.

Of course, if we beat NE next week, and then beat Indy the week after, we will clinch the #1 seed. Believe it or not, we could still go in as a WC team. Since Indy just won their game, if we were to beat NE and then lose our last three games, two of which are against Indy, we would finish with a record of 12-4. Indy would not only have the same record, but they would also have the tie-breaker over us.

If we beat NE and Minnesota, then we will clinch.

We can lose to NE, but still clinch a bye if we beat Indy once and meat Minnesota.

So for all of those thinking we would rest our players in the last week, doesn't look like that. Depending on how this Patriots game turns out, that last game would be very important for us.

What do y'all think our chances for the #1 seed are?

Indy is pesky. Minnesota could play a trap. and New England is always good this time of year.

These last 4 games could either put us in the drivers seat, or make us road warriors for the playoffs.

TexanBacker93
12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
We could also end up with the 4th seed if we drop games to NE and a couple of those last 2 and end up playing...

Indy in the Wildcard round. We could play them 3 out of 4 weeks.

There really needs to be a better person(computer) in charge of scheduling. Division rivals shouldn't be playing each other twice in the final three weeks. At least one game should be earlier in the season.

I think we end up with the 1st. I think we win the first 2 over Min and Ind and then lose to Ind on the road after we've already clinched it.

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 04:01 PM
We could also end up with the 4th seed if we drop games to NE and a couple of those last 2 and end up playing...

Indy in the Wildcard round. We could play them 3 out of 4 weeks.

There really needs to be a better person(computer) in charge of scheduling. Division rivals shouldn't be playing each other twice in the final three weeks. At least one game should be earlier in the season.

I think we end up with the 1st. I think we win the first 2 over Min and Ind and then lose to Ind on the road after we've already clinched it.

In order for us to clinch under that scenario we would need to beat NE.

The best we can do with beating Indy and Minny, is getting a bye.

Hervoyel
12-02-2012, 04:01 PM
The Colts are the team I want to avoid most right now and they're the one that's filling up half of our remaining schedule. Anyone who thinks that those Colts games will be easy is fooling themselves. They're playing way high right now and they are believers.

This is going to be the roughest 4 game stretch of our season right here and it's for all the marbles as far as the post-season positioning is concerned.

Allstar
12-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I think Denver beats Baltimore, and SF beats New England, so we should be sitting pretty even if we go 2-2 down the stretch.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2012, 04:05 PM
The Colts are the team I want to avoid most right now and they're the one that's filling up half of our remaining schedule. Anyone who thinks that those Colts games will be easy is fooling themselves. They're playing way high right now and they are believers.

This is going to be the roughest 4 game stretch of our season right here and it's for all the marbles as far as the post-season positioning is concerned.

Dead right.

76Texan
12-02-2012, 04:05 PM
100% :goodluck:

coltfan123
12-02-2012, 04:06 PM
its not as close as you think i beleive ravens will lose to giants and to denver.. texans have some lee way

TexanBacker93
12-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I think Denver beats Baltimore, and SF beats New England, so we should be sitting pretty even if we go 2-2 down the stretch.

That's the scenario I think happens. Even if we lose to NE if they lose the next week to SF and Den beats Baltimore we would clinch the #1 seed with wins over Min and Ind.

The best NE could do would be 12-4 (with that loss to SF or us).

Baltimore could be 13-3 (if they lose to Den), but even if we lose to NE and the last game to Ind we have the tiebreaker.

Denver could finish 13-3 if they win out and we still have to lose 3 more times over the last 4 for them to get a seed above us.

The best thing to do is beat NE and everything is moot. We'd be up 2 over Baltimore with 3 to play. Up 4 on NE and Den with 3 to play. We basically clinch the #1 with a win against NE.

pirbroke
12-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I can't believe Indy has done so well this year, before the season started I thought we would breeze through them but not anymore. Our last 4 games are all tough opponents

TexanBacker93
12-02-2012, 04:11 PM

I don't think they'll be easy by any stretch. That's why I don't want it to come down to week 17 to decide things.

ziggy29
12-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I can't believe Indy has done so well this year, before the season started I thought we would breeze through them but not anymore. Our last 4 games are all tough opponents
Luck is good, but this season makes me think that some point in the 2011 season, the Colts decided to cash it in and coast for draft position.

Allstar
12-02-2012, 04:14 PM
The Colts are still -41 in net points

coltfan123
12-02-2012, 04:15 PM

when your coach has cancer,,and the cheerleaders are shaving there head they are playing for more then just playoffs. they are playing with passion i dont beleive colts will go all the way under a rookie qb but future looks promising.

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 04:17 PM
its not as close as you think i beleive ravens will lose to giants and to denver.. texans have some lee way

The only problem with that, is both of those games are at Baltimore.

Baltimore hasn't lost at home all season.

EllisUnit
12-02-2012, 04:20 PM

I have watched the colts play and i may have a different opinion here than most. I dont think they are very good and i dont think they match up very well with us. I think we beat them at home and i think that we will still be fighting for the #1 seed when we play them for the final game so i dont think they will be playing our back-ups. I see us going 3-1 in these last 4 games and knocking the colts out of the wild card.

TexanBacker93
12-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I have watched the colts play and i may have a different opinion here than most. I dont think they are very good and i dont think they match up very well with us. I think we beat them at home and i think that we will still be fighting for the #1 seed when we play them for the final game so i dont think they will be playing our back-ups. I see us going 3-1 in these last 4 games and knocking the colts out of the wild card.

After today they might have a wild card spot almost locked down. It depends on how Cin and Pit do today, but since they still play each other and there aren't a lot of viable options in the AFC still sniffing the playoffs.

ItsMyFault
12-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I think the Texans have a good shot at it but the team needs to get healthy.

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 04:33 PM
If we can get a win next week, it should be easy crusin from there!

Just get a win over Minnesota, and we will be good.

These next 4 games will tell us what kind of team we have.

stingray
12-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Ho hum about it. Seems like the Texans play better overall on the road. Especially in tough games.

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Ho hum about it. Seems like the Texans play better overall on the road. Especially in tough games.

We will see how that goes for us next week.

This season has been going so well, it is hard to believe.

What if we went 15-1?

I wouldn't believe it.

thunderkyss
12-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Luck is good, but this season makes me think that some point in the 2011 season, the Colts decided to cash it in and coast for draft position.

Some people are saying Babin was cut because he quit.

I don't know if the Colts organization was in on it, but we're talking about keeping 50 some guys on page for 17 greuling weeks.

I think there was a point in the season where a few guys said F@$-it, we're not going to win. Then the next week it was a couple of other guys. The week after another bunch.

That's why they had to get rid of the coaching staff, he couldn't keep that under control.

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 05:01 PM
I just want the #1 seed.

All I want, so we can get to the super bowl.

I don't want to play in Foxboro for the AFC Championship.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I just want the #1 seed.

All I want, so we can get to the super bowl.

I don't want to play in Foxboro for the AFC Championship.

Or in Denver or Baltimore. I'm with you. They've come this far, it would be tragic to lose the home field advantage at this point.

MistaRed
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Ravens lose! 2 game lead for HFA!

LikeMike
12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I guess the chances just improved a bit...

thunderkyss
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Steelers lose! 2 game lead for HFA!

Uh..... Baltimore lose. 23-20 Steelers

coltfan123
12-02-2012, 06:29 PM

i hope this is a joke..steelers won

drs23
12-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Ravens go down! Hell yeah!

MistaRed
lol my fault guys posted that one a bit early

mariowillshine15
2 games up for HFA, 3 games up for a bye. Looking good.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2012, 06:31 PM

Ha! I'm sure in your excitement, you got mixed up. Steelers win. Texans now have a 2 game lead for AFC title with 4 games to go.

Stakes getting even higher with such success.

Texn4life
12-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Ha! I'm sure in your excitement, you got mixed up. Steelers win. Texans now have a 2 game lead for AFC title with 4 games to go.

Not the AFC Title. Just Home Filed Advantage.

TexansFanatic
12-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Not the AFC Title. Just Home Filed Advantage.

Right, my mistake. Best record in AFC isn't AFC title.

Texn4life
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Right, my mistake. Best record in AFC isn't AFC title.

No worries. I get the excitement. I was cheering for the Steelers like the Texans were playing.

brakos82
12-02-2012, 06:41 PM
This may be the first time (other than against Bud's Duds) that I'm glad Pittsburgh won....

http://i.imgur.com/L25jV.gif

TexanBacker93
12-02-2012, 06:44 PM

Actually we have a 3 game lead over Denver and Baltimore. They both have to have a better record than us because of the head to head factor.

With the one exception of a 3 or 4 way tie at 13-3 which if we've lost to New England would mean we would go to the next tie-breaker.

LikeMike
12-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Actually we have a 3 game lead over Denver and Baltimore. They both have to have a better record than us because of the head to head factor.

With the one exception of a 3 or 4 way tie at 13-3 which if we've lost to New England would mean we would go to the next tie-breaker.

So basically we beat NE and have clinched the AFC 3 weeks before the season ends, right?

amazing80
12-02-2012, 06:49 PM
So basically we beat NE and have clinched the AFC 3 weeks before the season ends, right?

No, if we lost out after that game and any of the others won out then they would leap frog us by virtue of overall record

We need them to lose one more each OR, beat Pat and win one more

TexanBacker93
12-02-2012, 06:51 PM

Well, if we beat New England the best they could do would be 12-4 so even if we lost out we'd have beaten them so we own the tie-breaker.

Denver and Baltimore play each other in 2 weeks so one of those teams will have another loss and could at best be 12-4 with a loss to us so we own the tie-breaker on that team.

If the other team out of Denver or Baltimore wins out and we lose our last 3 after beating New England than we would end up with the 2nd seed.

We still would need 1 more win.

Texn4life
12-02-2012, 06:51 PM
No, if we lost out after that game and any of the others won out then they would leap frog us by virtue of overall record

We need them to lose one more each OR, beat Pat and win one more

Yeah, if we win our next 2 we'll clinch because of head to head and conference record.

TexanBacker93
12-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah, if we win our next 2 we'll clinch because of head to head and conference record.

That would be great clinching home field throughout on Dec 16th against the Colts.

Thorn
12-02-2012, 07:04 PM
My prediction:

New England has Houston, San Fran, @ Jacksonville, Miami. They win out and go 13-3.

Denver has @ Oakland, @ Baltimore, Cleveland Kansas City. They lose at Baltimore and go 12-4.

Baltimore has @ Washington, Denver, New York Giants, @ Cincincinti. They should win out and be 13-3.

Houston loses @ New England then wins out going 14-2 and gets home field advantage.

Allstar
12-02-2012, 07:08 PM
My prediction:

New England has Houston, San Fran, @ Jacksonville, Miami. They win out and go 13-3.

Denver has @ Oakland, @ Baltimore, Cleveland Kansas City. They lose at Baltimore and go 12-4.

Baltimore has @ Washington, Denver, New York Giants, @ Cincincinti. They should win out and be 13-3.

Houston loses @ New England then wins out going 14-2 and gets home field advantage.

Have you seen Baltimore lately?

brakos82
12-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Have you seen Baltimore lately?
To be fair, I think Thorn's still drunk. LOL

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Since Baltimore lost, that changes things and makes things easier for us to at least get a bye.

Still want the #1 seed though. This is going to be the longest week ever.....

Lurvinator11
12-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't know why, but I don't feel great going in with a record of 14-2.

I just feel like we would be the team to lose in the playoffs.

This season is just getting to the point,, where you don't know if this is real. I simply cannot believe what this team has done.

Getting the Lombardi would be the greatest. I would cry tears of joy. Joy I tell ya!

midway
12-02-2012, 10:01 PM

really going out on a limb there.

thunderkyss
12-02-2012, 10:16 PM

This season is just getting to the point,, where you don't know if this is real. I simply cannot believe what this team has done.

Getting the Lombardi would be the greatest. I would cry tears of joy. Joy I tell ya!

I've been pinching myself since we rolled over Baltimore.

drs23
12-02-2012, 11:05 PM

And you don't even suffer from the Oiler days knowing going in that the other shoe would certainly drop. :winky:

Norg
12-03-2012, 01:05 AM
we just need to beat NE and Pray Denver losses a game and we will be sittin pretty lets just root for the raiders that they can somehow pull a upset

Norg
12-03-2012, 01:11 AM
If we beat NE and things swing our way with denver then we could lose wk 15 and wk 16 and have a bye thats like a hole month + to rest our starters or treat these 2 games like pre season

Allstar
12-03-2012, 01:47 AM
we just need to beat NE and Pray Denver losses a game and we will be sittin pretty lets just root for the raiders that they can somehow pull a upset

Why should we pray for Denver to lose? We should be actively rooting for Denver and New England to pass up Baltimore so we can avoid playing both Manning AND Brady in the playoffs.

SAMURAITEXAN
12-03-2012, 04:43 AM
If we beat NE and things swing our way with denver then we could lose wk 15 and wk 16 and have a bye thats like a hole month + to rest our starters or treat these 2 games like pre season

Bold comments is exactly I am hoping for. Let our starters rest and heal so that they will be fresh and ready for the playoffs with home field advantage! Just win at NE and Indy games and will be good.

Go Texans!!!

Norg
12-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Why should we pray for Denver to lose? We should be actively rooting for Denver and New England to pass up Baltimore so we can avoid playing both Manning AND Brady in the playoffs.

cause denver is the front runner to get the number 1 seed if hou slips up

Ravens have no chance have u seen there sechudle they will prob fall to the #4 spot or worse

its going to be us denver and Pats fighting for the 1 and 2 spot

thats why if we.... WIn we beat the pats having denver lose one and then we are good Go into Preseason mode for like a hole month +

dalemurphy
12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
cause denver is the front runner to get the number 1 seed if hou slips up

Ravens have no chance have u seen there sechudle they will prob fall to the #4 spot or worse

its going to be us denver and Pats fighting for the 1 and 2 spot

thats why if we.... WIn we beat the pats having denver lose one and then we are good Go into Preseason mode for like a hole month +

For Denver to pass us up, all of this needs to happen:

Baltimore lose again.
New England win out.
Denver win out.
Houston lose to New England and at least once to Indy.

that's a lot to happen... Expecting an 11-1 team to fall apart at the end of the season while two teams with three losses to finish the season with 10 - 11 game winning streaks.

... I do agree that New England and Denver are the teams to avoid in the playoffs, though. And, it would be nice if the scenario works out for us. Still, there are too many variables to know what to root for.

IDEXAN
12-03-2012, 09:04 AM
My prediction:

Anybody who is comparing this years Colts to the 2011 version (before Luck), isn't paying attention. The last 2 weeks Luck has played like a young John Elway. I don't see us winning in Reliant in our first meeting and then going up to Indy just 2 weeks later and winning again. I don't think it's gonna happen. So in that scenario we are not the top seed, NE will be.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Anybody who is comparing this years Colts to the 2011 version (before Luck), isn't paying attention. The last 2 weeks Luck has played like a young John Elway. I don't see us winning in Reliant in our first meeting and then going up to Indy just 2 weeks later and winning again. I don't think it's gonna happen. So in that scenario we are not the top seed, NE will be.

Anybody confusing the 2012 Colts to the 2010 Colts has got a little Luck juice on his chin.

He ain't Elway. He ain't Manning. He ain't Stafford. He won't win at Reliant & if he wins in Indy, it's because we let him.

Thorn
12-03-2012, 09:26 AM
The Colts are good, but they ain't as good as the Texans. Until that team is built up some more, the Texans own the division.

And yes, I've seen Luck play, and not everything good that happens to that team comes directly from his skill set. The Colts have gone from horrible to above average in one year. But the Texans are one of the best teams in the NFL right now, and are just a flat out better team. For this year.

Make no mistake about it, for now we can take the Colts at home and at their place. But Luck with good coaching is going to grow into a very long lasting pain in our sides for the next decade and a half.

76Texan
12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
The Colts are good, but they ain't as good as the Texans. Until that team is built up some more, the Texans own the division.

And yes, I've seen Luck play, and not everything good that happens to that team comes directly from his skill set. The Colts have gone from horrible to above average in one year. But the Texans are one of the best teams in the NFL right now, and are just a flat out better team. For this year.

Make no mistake about it, for now we can take the Colts at home and at their place. But Luck with good coaching is going to grow into a very long lasting pain in our sides for the next decade and a half.

It will be fun to watch!

silentassassin
12-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Anybody confusing the 2012 Colts to the 2010 Colts has got a little Luck juice on his chin.

He ain't Elway. He ain't Manning. He ain't Stafford. He won't win at Reliant & if he wins in Indy, it's because we let him.

Agreed.

Remember, they also couldn't win at Chicago in the elements. They couldn't win a game on Thanksgiving after a quick turnaround from a near five quarter game against Jacksonville.

We have no idea how this year's Colts will come out against the Texans, so I'd take a wait-and-see approach.

But the Texans deserve the benefit of the doubt. I think they've earned that atleast.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Agreed.

Remember, they also couldn't win at Chicago in the elements. They couldn't win a game on Thanksgiving after a quick turnaround from a near five quarter game against Jacksonville.

We have no idea how this year's Colts will come out against the Texans, so I'd take a wait-and-see approach.

But the Texans deserve the benefit of the doubt. I think they've earned that atleast.

Chances are we're going to get a 20 point lead on them.

Ain't no way in he77 Wade is going to give up a 20 point lead in the final minute of a game. Ain't going to happen.

brakos82
12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Ain't no way in he77 Wade is going to give up a 20 point lead in the final minute of a game. Ain't going to happen.

I only know one person capable of doing that. And Wade Phillips is not that person.

Norg
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
but what im saying is the goal is to be able to lose our last 3 games or most likely 2 games and not fall to the number 2 spot

no matter what denver or pats do

guyz if we keep winning yall know the texans will not care has much about the

vs Minny
@ colts

games .....

Thorn
12-03-2012, 12:17 PM
but what im saying is the goal is to be able to lose our last 3 games or most likely 2 games and not fall to the number 2 spot

vs Minny
@ colts

games .....

That is only IF we beat the Patsies next Monday night, and then the Colts. We'll see.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 12:36 PM

vs Minny
@ colts

games .....

but I think we're all saying the same thing. Keep winning.

The only thing I would add, is that it isn't the end of the world.... far from it, if we don't beat New England.

The Texans want to go 1-0 & if they do that next week we clinch a bye if Tennessee also beats Indy. Then we play Indy at home. If they go 1-0 that week we clench HFA (I think) at 13-1 with two games to play.

At that point the most important thing is not to get anyone hurt especially our key players.

It is still important to win games. I doubt Kubiak & Wade are going to stop trying to win games. They're just going to try to do it with other players.

Can our reserves beat a Vikings team fighting for their play-off lives? Probably not. But if our starters spot us a couple of scores, it'll be a game.

Can our reserves beat a Colts team fighting for their play-off lives? Maybe. But it's going to be a game.

Norg
12-03-2012, 01:13 PM
after our backups almost beat tenn last year i think our backups can deff beat minny and th colts

besides i would like to see TJ yates play thoes games maybe even for a half and also get that guy from U of H some playing time obvs schaub in the first qtr has well

76Texan
12-03-2012, 01:23 PM
after our backups almost beat tenn last year i think our backups can deff beat minny and th colts

besides i would like to see TJ yates play thoes games maybe even for a half and also get that guy from U of H some playing time obvs schaub in the first qtr has well

That brings up a point. Any team ever enter the play-off with only 2 quarterbacks on their roster, anybody knows?

Allstar
12-03-2012, 01:29 PM
That brings up a point. Any team ever enter the play-off with only 2 quarterbacks on their roster, anybody knows?

I'm not concerned with that. Keenum has been on the practice squad all year, and Beck is a phone call away.

Doppelganger
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Htown has played a tough schedule.

If the playoffs started today, the Texans have wins over the #2 seed (Baltimore) and the #4 seed (Denver). They have two games against the current #5 (Indianapolis). If they can win one of the Indy games and manage to get a win over New England, they would have beaten almost every team they may face in the playoffs.

That said, I think Htown loses the New England game and beats Indy(home) and Minnesota on the road. They would enter Lucas Oil with a record of 13-2. The big game would then become the SF-NE game. If SF can win, they even if they Texans finish 13-3(i.e. 2-2 over the last 4), they are the #1 seed. if NE wins, the Texans would need to beat Indy in that last game or hope Miami can come up with an upset.

I think there is a very good chance the Texans end up with the #1 or #2 seed, which I think a lot of us would have been happy with at the beginning of the year.

utahmark
12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm just glad that the wording of these threads has changed from Chances Texans get the #1 pick to, #1 seed.

Lurvinator11
12-03-2012, 07:55 PM

Also, the Colts haven't played anyone!

Their best win was over Green Bay, at home!

All the teams they have played, they got at the right time. Easy Schedule.

I don't expect them to be this good next year.

Also look what happened when they played NE? Gave up 59 points.

I feel like we will get the win in Reliant. We will just need one more after that, assuming we lose to NE.

BullBlitz
12-03-2012, 08:02 PM

I feel like we will get the win in Reliant. We will just need one more after that, assuming we lose to NE.

Look what happened when the Texans played Green Bay. They gave up....oh, never mind.
:wadepalm:

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM

Luck threw 3 interceptions & fumbled the ball once.

Lurvinator11
12-03-2012, 08:12 PM
And you don't even suffer from the Oiler days knowing going in that the other shoe would certainly drop. :winky:

I may not suffer from the Oilers syndrome, but I have terrible memories of the Astros and the Rockets choking it up in the playoffs.

It's the Houston Syndrome, and I hope the Texans break it this year.

htownfan32
These are the same Colts that gave up 41 points to the Bears. We should pull out the win against an inferior team. It's as simple as that. Quit riding on Luck's jock.

I want our defense to scare him so badly he'll never play well against us again.

ArlingtonTexan
The number 1 seed is the Texans to lose. They have 2 game lead on the field holding the tie breaker with 2 of those teams and only 4 to play.

The top 5 teams all have some sort playing each other orgy going on, so even with a lose or two, I am thiking all of the top teams have at least a game in the L column.

Lurvinator11
12-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Look what happened when the Texans played Green Bay. They gave up....oh, never mind.
:wadepalm:

The difference between the Texans and the Colts, is the Texans have actually played and beaten true opponents.

Examples: Denver, Baltimore, and Chicago.

The Colts have lost to Jacksonville, Chicago, and New England.

There are no real marquee wins on their schedule other than Green Bay.

Although we only have 3 marquee wins, we at least dominate the other opponents we have played.

They have been lucky to get out of some of their match ups, like yesterday.

Lurvinator11
12-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Luck threw 3 interceptions & fumbled the ball once.

To New Englands defense.

Watch what will happen when they play us.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 08:40 PM
To New Englands defense.

Watch what will happen when they play us.

What? to that Jj Watt fella? He didn't really do a whole lot against the Titans. Other than a couple of tackles for losses, two sacks, and a forced fumble... really, what did he do?

Lurvinator11
12-03-2012, 09:29 PM
What? to that Jj Watt fella? He didn't really do a whole lot against the Titans. Other than a couple of tackles for losses, two sacks, and a forced fumble... really, what did he do?

Oh pshh. Don't talk to me about JJ Watt. Dude is a bust plain and simple. Y'know who we need? Haynesworth. Yeahhhhhh. He would fit perfectly in our system. Better than that nobody, JJ.

:sarcasm:

coltfan123
12-03-2012, 11:26 PM

we beat the lions didnt evne have to go to overtime like your game did...i wouldnt over look this colts team..i agree i doubt they be this good next year. This year they are fighting to give hope to there coach. Im sure they like notihng more then to knock the texans to the wild card spot.

thunderkyss
12-03-2012, 11:54 PM
we beat the lions didnt evne have to go to overtime like your game did...i wouldnt over look this colts team..i agree i doubt they be this good next year. This year they are fighting to give hope to there coach. Im sure they like notihng more then to knock the texans to the wild card spot.

They've got nothing to play for. Shouldn't have been a game. You gave them a glimmer of hope.

Lurvinator11
12-03-2012, 11:58 PM

Hmmm, well sure. It didn't take an overtime victory, but it took a last minute comeback over a demoralized Lions team. Yes The Texans were lucky to get their win over Detroit, but don't imply the Colts weren't lucky either just because the length of game was shorter. The Lions just aren't clutch this year, and it is showing big time.

I'm not overlooking them, but I am not buying their success either. The Colts have a much easier schedule this season. Trust me though, I hate the fact that we have to play y'all within the last 3 weeks. I hate that, and it scares me that certain scenarios could have y'all winning the division.

I just don't see it happening. I don't see a win for us next week. So that would mean beat The Colts and Vikings at home to get the #1 seed.

Texans have been taking care of business all year, I doubt they let up against the upbeat Colts.

JCTexan
12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
The difference between the Texans and the Colts, is the Texans have actually played and beaten true opponents.

Examples: Denver, Baltimore, and Chicago.

The Colts have lost to Jacksonville, Chicago, and New England.

There are no real marquee wins on their schedule other than Green Bay.

Although we only have 3 marquee wins, we at least dominate the other opponents we have played.

They have been lucky to get out of some of their match ups, like yesterday.

Only three? What other team in the NFL has more? Best three wins from other top NFL teams:

Broncos: Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati

Patriots: Colts, Broncos, Dolphins

Ravens: Bengals, Patriots, Steelers

Steelers: Bengals, Ravens, Giants

Bengals: Giants, Redskins, Chargers

49ers: Bears, Packers, Seahawks

Giants: Packers, Buccaneers, Redskins

Bears: Colts, Cowboys, Vikings

Packers: Texans, Bears, Vikings

Falcons: Broncos, Buccaneers, Redskins

Texans: Ravens, Broncos, Bears

Lurvinator11
12-04-2012, 12:02 AM

I forgot to mention, I am very surprised the Colts got away with that win.

They were down by 12 with less than 3 to go. Colts got it done, but Lions gave up as well.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 12:08 AM
The Colts have a much easier schedule this season.

Next year I think we play the AFC West & NFC South so the Colts will play the Broncos, Saints, Falcon, Bucs, Atlanta, most likely Miami, Pittsburgh, and us twice.

Lurvinator11
12-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Only three? What other team in the NFL has more? Best three wins from other top NFL teams:

Broncos: Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati

Patriots: Colts, Broncos, Dolphins

Ravens: Bengals, Patriots, Steelers

Steelers: Bengals, Ravens, Giants

Bengals: Giants, Redskins, Chargers

49ers: Bears, Packers, Seahawks

Giants: Packers, Buccaneers, Redskins

Bears: Colts, Cowboys, Vikings

Packers: Texans, Bears, Vikings

Falcons: Broncos, Buccaneers, Redskins

Texans: Ravens, Broncos, Bears

Thanks for the info on the other teams.

I guess from all of the haters saying we haven't beat any marquee teams, I've been defending those three games, thus thinking it isn't much to sneeze at.

I would like to point something out though. I think this was mentioned in another thread, but I'll just reiterate.
The Pats have dominated their division over the past ten years. However, nobody ever accuses them of not playing anyone. But if you look at their division, they haven't had any competition. I mean yeah, you have your random teams like the Jets and the Dolphins, but overall, the AFCE hasn't been much, so potentially, 6 of the Pats wins in prior seasons could be out of the division.

Yet, when we get successful, everyone is like, Oh they play in the south. The south sucks.

I'm getting tired of haters.

Lurvinator11
12-04-2012, 12:10 AM
Next year I think we play the AFC West & NFC South so the Colts will play the Broncos, Saints, Falcon, Bucs, Atlanta, most likely Miami, Pittsburgh, and us twice.

Next year we will have the AFC West and NFC West.

Other than Denver and San Fran, not much to those opponents.

Rams could surprise though.

coltfan123
12-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Hmmm, well sure. It didn't take an overtime victory, but it took a last minute comeback over a demoralized Lions team. Yes The Texans were lucky to get their win over Detroit, but don't imply the Colts weren't lucky either just because the length of game was shorter. The Lions just aren't clutch this year, and it is showing big time.

I'm not overlooking them, but I am not buying their success either. The Colts have a much easier schedule this season. Trust me though, I hate the fact that we have to play y'all within the last 3 weeks. I hate that, and it scares me that certain scenarios could have y'all winning the division.

I just don't see it happening. I don't see a win for us next week. So that would mean beat The Colts and Vikings at home to get the #1 seed.

Texans have been taking care of business all year, I doubt they let up against the upbeat Colts.

only time will tell

htownfan32
12-04-2012, 05:41 AM
The Colts are coming off a 2-14 season. What do you think their SOS for this year is like? It's nothing. Wimpy. 8-4 isn't a huge deal when you have a relatively weak schedule.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 06:23 AM
The Colts are coming off a 2-14 season. What do you think their SOS for this year is like? It's nothing. Wimpy. 8-4 isn't a huge deal when you have a relatively weak schedule.

How much more difficult is their schedule than the Jags?

Thorn
12-04-2012, 08:02 AM

For 14 games of the schedule, we had the same opponents as they did. The exceptions being we got Denver and Baltimore, they got Cleveland and Kansas City.

htownfan32
12-04-2012, 08:52 AM
We got Denver and Baltimore, and they got Cleveland and KC - but that's a big deal, in my eyes. We played two playoff teams and beat them. They play two bottom feeder teams and barely beat Cleveland 17-13, with KC yet to go. The only thing they have going for them is that victory against the Packers.
They lost the the Bears - playoff team (well... wild card, maybe?) and the Jags (no excuse) and the Jets (no excuse). They got blown out by the Pats, but I'll reserve judgment until we play them.

So where we for the most part beat the playoff teams, they didn't. The other teams? Cupcakes. Let's face it, our schedule, aside from Denver, Baltimore, GB, the Bears, NE and perhaps the Lions, is full of weaker, lower end teams. We won the games that counted (with NE still to go) and they didn't. Luck is good enough to beat the cupcakes, but he's still yet to prove himself against the big boys. One game against GB isn't enough to warrant a full worshipping of Luck.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Luck is good enough to beat the cupcakes, but he's still yet to prove himself against the big boys. One game against GB isn't enough to warrant a full worshipping of Luck.

I think the point was that you can't really use the "weak schedule" card against them. They played the same schedule we did. 3 play off teams, Bears, Packers, New England. Miami is in the hunt & the Lions aren't as bad as their record. Then they got 2 games against us, another play off team. That's 5 games vs play-off teams.

Not being able to beat them is a different story all together. 8 wins for a rookie against that schedule... I mean it's never been done before.

htownfan32
12-04-2012, 09:30 AM
I concede that it's never been done before. I'd still wait one more season before drawing conclusions about Luck, though. For all we know, he could pull a Cam Newton. It might just be beginner's luck. But if he does the same stuff next season, yes, no one in their right mind will deny that Luck is a great QB and has the potential to be elite soon enough. It's a matter of time, to be honest, but I think you can understand that though it would make for competitive football in the AFCS, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we were the sole good team in the AFCS. Having to duke it out with Luck for the next 10 years ala Pittsburgh and Baltimore (two good teams fighting for the AFC North) is something I'd rather avoid.

TexanBacker93
12-04-2012, 09:58 AM
How much more difficult is their schedule than the Jags?

Actually the Jags have a tough schedule. Highest SOS in the league at .576.

The Colts have a lower SOV and SOS than us.

The team that interests me the most is Denver. They scare me some because we all know what Peyton can do, but their .380 SOV is pretty paltry compared to the other division leaders. They lost every game against top teams and beat up their crummy division. I'm not suggesting the AFC South is the best division around right now, but I think the top 2 teams in there are as good as the top 2 in any division with the possible exception of the NFC North. Of course, the 2 of our teams went 2-2 against those guys so maybe we are as good.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I concede that it's never been done before. I'd still wait one more season before drawing conclusions about Luck, though. For all we know, he could pull a Cam Newton. It might just be beginner's luck. But if he does the same stuff next season, yes, no one in their right mind will deny that Luck is a great QB and has the potential to be elite soon enough. It's a matter of time, to be honest, but I think you can understand that though it would make for competitive football in the AFCS, I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we were the sole good team in the AFCS. Having to duke it out with Luck for the next 10 years ala Pittsburgh and Baltimore (two good teams fighting for the AFC North) is something I'd rather avoid.

I don't think Luck is "great" I was just saying the weak schedule argument doesn't fly. Pointing out that he has more wins than any other rookie QB in history was not a profession of greatness.

Luck doesn't scare me any more than VY did when he started in the league & just won. It's a team game. We've got a QB better than most, a running game better than most, and a defense better than most. It will be great to dominate the division every year, but I don't really care about that. As long as we are Super Bowl contenders year in & year out, I couldn't care less.

I want to win the Super Bowl as the #1 Seed, the #2 Seed, the #3 seed, the #4 seed, the #5 seed, & the #6 seed.

TexanBacker93
12-04-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't think Luck is "great" I was just saying the weak schedule argument doesn't fly. Pointing out that he has more wins than any other rookie QB in history was not a profession of greatness.

Luck doesn't scare me any more than VY did when he started in the league & just won. It's a team game. We've got a QB better than most, a running game better than most, and a defense better than most. It will be great to dominate the division every year, but I don't really care about that. As long as we are Super Bowl contenders year in & year out, I couldn't care less.

I want to win the Super Bowl as the #1 Seed, the #2 Seed, the #3 seed, the #4 seed, the #5 seed, & the #6 seed.

In consecutive years so it can never be broken.

infantrycak
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Not being able to beat them is a different story all together. 8 wins for a rookie against that schedule... I mean it's never been done before.

Pointing out that he has more wins than any other rookie QB in history was not a profession of greatness.

What are you talking about? Big Ben started and won 13 games as a rookie. Matt Ryan won 11.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 10:58 AM
What are you talking about? Big Ben started and won 13 games as a rookie. Matt Ryan won 11.

Good question. They were saying on TV that Bradford held the most wins by a rookie QB @ 6 I thought.

I didn't double check it, but I'm sure that's what they said.

MistaRed
12-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Good question. They were saying on TV that Bradford held the most wins by a rookie QB @ 6 I thought.

I didn't double check it, but I'm sure that's what they said.

Bradford had the most wins in a season for a QB drafted at number 1 overall until Luck this season.

thunderkyss
12-04-2012, 11:06 AM
Bradford had the most wins in a season for a QB drafted at number 1 overall until Luck this season.

Ah... thanks.

That don't sound nearly as impressive.

Allstar
12-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Ah... thanks.

That don't sound nearly as impressive.

Number 1 overall means they are playing for (and leading) the worst team in the league from the previous year. That's what makes the stat impressive.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Luck leaves up to his name sake; he's been really lucky so far and still has 16 INTs.

Somebody pulls the REFOcus of the Colts last game and we will see that he had 3 other passes that should have been picked off (besides the 3 that he threw).

Also, I made a note in his first 3 games, there were at least 5 that should have been sure picks, but the defenders dropped the ball. And I mean those passes hit them in the numbers.

There were at least 5 others that also had chances to be intercepted that defenders either just missed or didn't time it right, things of that nature.

I didn't make note from other games, but he always have those every game.

I'm not talking about passes thrown to D-linemen who are of a clumsy specimen.
I'm talking about passes that were defended by DBs or Lbs who were in good position. Bad passes.

I predicted that he will throw at least 15 INTs this year; he has already past that mark.

infantrycak
12-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Number 1 overall means they are playing for (and leading) the worst team in the league from the previous year. That's what makes the stat impressive.

Generally they are the worst team due to overall suckitude. The Colts were an exception. They were a team built around a QB and they lost that key piece after 11 playoff appearances in 12 years. Luck went to a better situation than most #1 overall picks.

76Texan
12-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Generally they are the worst team due to overall suckitude. The Colts were an exception. They were a team built around a QB and they lost that key piece after 11 playoff appearances in 12 years. Luck went to a better situation than most #1 overall picks.

They really revamp that offense for him.
They bring in an OC that runs pretty much the same thing he did in college.

They drafted 6 guys on offense (including him), 4 in the first 3 rounds.
Fleener is their starting TE; Ballard their starting RB.
Fleener has 22 catches so far.
Dwayne Allen is the second TE with 36 catches already.
He's also a good blocker.
Hilton has 39 catches and 5 TDs as a non-starter, slot receiver that also handle return duties.
Brazil's is another receiver that contributes.

They sign a speedster in Avery to give him another weapon downfield.

They sign a veteran Center to replace the old guy.
They sign a veteran OT in Winston Justice (who was drafted #39 overall in 2007).

The LT was second year man Castonzo (#22 overall; which is higher than where we drafted D. Brown).

Yeah; I would say he was put in a good position.

ObsiWan
12-05-2012, 12:12 AM

At the risk of sounding all :tinfoil:

you'll never convince me that "Suck for Luck" wasn't their official company strategy in 2011.

Add to that Luck had the option to come out for the last non-"rookie wage scale" draft in NFL history and yet he chose not to cash in....

Yeah... something about that whole story stinks because this scenario played out way too nicely for it to have come down to chance.

ChampionTexan
12-05-2012, 12:39 AM
At the risk of sounding all :tinfoil:

you'll never convince me that "Suck for Luck" wasn't their official company strategy in 2011.

Add to that Luck had the option to come out for the last non-"rookie wage scale" draft in NFL history and yet he chose not to cash in....

Yeah... something about that whole story stinks because this scenario played out way too nicely for it to have come down to chance.

A correction and a question:

Andrew Luck wasn't eligible for the last non-"rookie wage scale" draft as that occurred in 2010 (following the 2009 season) and saw Sam Bradford become that last #1 overall pick to go under the old rules. The 2009 season was Andrew Luck's second year out of HS (his first was a redshirt season), and as such, he was not the three years removed from HS that NFL policy requires.

My question (for anyone who believes this - not just you) is who decided it, who carried it out, and how did they do it? Everyone with any power, short of Irsay himself, was fired after the 2011 Colts season, and trust me - players don't care about getting the #1 overall pick at the cost of intentionally playing poorly (not to mention that's a good way to get one of Spencer Tillman's infamous roadmap/apple combos).

Did Irsay mastermind it? If so, how? Did one of the Polians or Jim Caldwell make it happen and then get double-crossed by Irsay? Exactly how do you think it happened, and with all the former Colts, Colt coaches and Colt front office folks out there, how do you think it has been kept quiet?

ObsiWan
12-05-2012, 01:12 AM
A correction and a question:

Andrew Luck wasn't eligible for the last non-"rookie wage scale" draft as that occurred in 2010 (following the 2009 season) and saw Sam Bradford become that last #1 overall pick to go under the old rules. The 2009 season was Andrew Luck's second year out of HS (his first was a redshirt season), and as such, he was not the three years removed from HS that NFL policy requires.

My question (for anyone who believes this - not just you) is who decided it, who carried it out, and how did they do it? Everyone with any power, short of Irsay himself, was fired after the 2011 Colts season, and trust me - players don't care about getting the #1 overall pick at the cost of intentionally playing poorly (not to mention that's a good way to get one of Spencer Tillman's infamous roadmap/apple combos).

Did Irsay mastermind it? If so, how? Did one of the Polians or Jim Caldwell make it happen and then get double-crossed by Irsay? Exactly how do you think it happened, and with all the former Colts, Colt coaches and Colt front office folks out there, how do you think it has been kept quiet?

You don't need to look much farther than the QB position. As someone else pointed out, the Colts' success was/is TOTALLY dependent on the quality of QB play. Their defense was not meant/built to grind the opposition into submission or even keep the game close but to take advantage of the big leads their QB-led offense was designed to provide.

In Peyton they had that QB. But they knew Peyton needed surgery and might have been gone for most or all of the season but made no move to shore up that position - just in case. They had Painter and Orlovsky as their backup and made no moves to improve the quality of the backup.

They waited until the last game of preseason - or somewhere around there - to sign a vet QB. And who did they go get? 99-year old Kerry Collins.

Seriously???

If you view that as a sound strategy on a team who was (is?) largely dependent on elite-level QB play for success then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

ChampionTexan
12-05-2012, 01:41 AM
You don't need to look much farther than the QB position. As someone else pointed out, the Colts' success was/is TOTALLY dependent on the quality of QB play. Their defense was not meant/built to grind the opposition into submission or even keep the game close but to take advantage of the big leads their QB-led offense was designed to provide.

In Peyton they had that QB. But they knew Peyton needed surgery and might have been gone for most or all of the season but made no move to shore up that position - just in case. They had Painter and Orlovsky as their backup and made no moves to improve the quality of the backup.

They waited until the last game of preseason - or somewhere around there - to sign a vet QB. And who did they go get? 99-year old Kerry Collins.

Seriously???

So who developed and directed this strategy to intentionally have horrible backup QB's?

If you view that as a sound strategy on a team who was (is?) largely dependent on elite-level QB play for success then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

So who developed and directed this strategy to intentionally have horrible backup QB's?