PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the current OT rules?

Hookem Horns
11-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Since moving here to Florida I have started following the Bucs again so I had their game on one TV and the Texans game on the other.

Both games went into OT about at the same time. Unlike the Texans game the Bucs won the toss, got the ball first and drove to a TD to win the game on the first series. The Panthers didn't even get the ball in OT.

Do you like this rule? IMO, both teams should get the ball at least once. For example in the above scenario the Panthers would get the ball however have to score a TD to extend the game.

Thoughts?

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 05:42 PM
Do you like this rule? IMO, both teams should get the ball at least once. For example in the above scenario the Panthers would get the ball however have to score a TD to extend the game.

Thoughts?

I love the new rules, it's the way it's supposed to be. Special teams plays a role, offense plays a role, & defense plays a role. All three phases of the team gets involved.

If the Bucs only scored a field goal, then the Panthers would have had an opportunity win it with a TD. But their D let them down.

I don't think both teams should get the ball, I think that's a bad idea. If your defense is good enough, you'll get the ball.

The game is already too offense oriented, we don't need to add to it.

Hookem Horns
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
I love the new rules, it's the way it's supposed to be. Special teams plays a role, offense plays a role, & defense plays a role. All three phases of the team gets involved.

If the Bucs only scored a field goal, then the Panthers would have had an opportunity win it with a TD. But their D let them down.

I don't think both teams should get the ball, I think that's a bad idea. If your defense is good enough, you'll get the ball.

Good points. I love the new rules also. My only issue is the one I brought out however I can live with it. Watching those 2 games simultaneously was really crazy. In both games I had accepted defeat at some point. The Bucs comeback was a little more dramatic than the Texans. The Texans game was more of a relief.

drs23
11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
I like the new OT rules much better than sudden death. Truth be told I like the way they do it in college. I don't think it can be made to be any more fair and level than that but it'll never happen at the pro level so what we have now is much better than what we had before.

ChampionTexan
11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
I like the new OT rules much better than sudden death. Truth be told I like the way they do it in college. I don't think it can be made to be any more fair and level than that but it'll never happen at the pro level so what we have now is much better than what we had before.

I think the college overtime rules are a farce. It removes the key component of special teams from the game, and the teams basically start their possessions in FG range. In short, the overtime decides the game in a manner that's too different from the way they play in regulation for my taste.

In the NFL, I'd actually prefer a fifth full quarter, but I recognize the drawbacks to doing that (injuries, and just basic player well being). While I wouldn't argue with a modification to allow both teams a possession even if the first possession results in a TD, I think the current rules are fine, and a definite improvement over the previous version.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Good points. I love the new rules also. My only issue is the one I brought out however I can live with it. Watching those 2 games simultaneously was really crazy. In both games I had accepted defeat at some point. The Bucs comeback was a little more dramatic than the Texans. The Texans game was more of a relief.

you have to have some semblance of a defense. If not, you don't get the ball. It's a team game.

The only thing I didn't like about the previous rules, was even the best defenses will give up a field goal, especially if your special teams gets you a good return.

I remember games where it didn't look like the one team even tried to get to the endzone. Two plays to get into field goal range & here comes the kicker. If you got a leg like SeBass...... it's ovah.

drs23
11-19-2012, 05:58 PM
I think the college overtime rules are a farce. It removes the key component of special teams from the game, and the teams basically start their possessions in FG range. In short, the overtime decides the game in a manner that's too different from the way they play in regulation for my taste.

In the NFL, I'd acually prefer a fifth full quarter, but I recognize the drawbacks to doing that (injuries, and just basic player well being). While I wouldn't argue with a modification to allow both teams a possession even if the first possession results in a TD, I think the current rules are fine, and a definite improvement over the previous version.

Great point. Guess I didn't finger on it long enough.

SheTexan
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I just don't like the TIE thing. They need to fix that. JMO!

Texn4life
11-19-2012, 06:04 PM

I share the same opinion as you on this one. Rep!

GP
11-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Why not make it like soccer in case the OT ends in a tie?

OK, so OT has concluded and both teams are still tied.

It goes to kicks. Team 1 sends out their kicker, he tries for a 45-yarder. If he misses, Team 2's kicker can kick a 45-yarder to win it. If both kickers made their 45-yarder, it goes to 50-yarders. Then to 52. Then to 54. 56. 58. 60.

Yeah, you think a stadium would get loud for that? I do. And the rush of watching that kick on each attempt, the adrenaline of both kickers making their kicks and challenging one another for longer FGs each time.

Accuracy is important, so it's not just a leg power thing. And there is the opposing ST players out there trying to block the kick.

LOL, probably not the best idea. But hell, wouldn't it be fun to see at least one preseason game have this happen? Just for kicks. /pun

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 08:49 PM
LOL, probably not the best idea. But hell, wouldn't it be fun to see at least one preseason game have this happen? Just for kicks. /pun

:tinfoil:

You must have been a kicker in highschool.

Texan_Bill
11-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Since moving here to Florida I have started following the Bucs again so I had their game on one TV and the Texans game on the other.

Both games went into OT about at the same time. Unlike the Texans game the Bucs won the toss, got the ball first and drove to a TD to win the game on the first series. The Panthers didn't even get the ball in OT.

Thoughts?

Kevin, I absolutely love the new OT rules.

I say that as someone who would've loved the outcome after our field goal yesterday as it used to be but I was also someone who was tired of seeing < than the recieving team winning games without the other team even seeing the ball. I love the fact that "if" the team receiving the ball scores a TD - GAME OVER and if they settle for a FG, the other team at least gets a shot.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
11-19-2012, 09:03 PM

It goes to kicks. Team 1 sends out their kicker, he tries for a 45-yarder. If he misses, Team 2's kicker can kick a 45-yarder to win it. If both kickers made their 45-yarder, it goes to 50-yarders. Then to 52. Then to 54. 56. 58. 60.

Yeah, you think a stadium would get loud for that? I do. And the rush of watching that kick on each attempt, the adrenaline of both kickers making their kicks and challenging one another for longer FGs each time.

Accuracy is important, so it's not just a leg power thing. And there is the opposing ST players out there trying to block the kick.

No, I prefer the Texans to have a shot at winning in OT.

Scooter
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
i hate the college rules - starting arbitrarily inside field goal range is not football. i also hated the sudden death rules - a 30yd drive to win the game is pretty weak. i think the current system is about as good as it gets. as fiddler said, all aspects of the game come into play. it may seem a little unfair to whoever doesnt win the coin toss, but thems the breaks - if you cant keep the opponent out of the endzone then you dont earn a chance to win.

TexanSam
11-19-2012, 10:23 PM

That should be a pro bowl event. I'd watch!

The Pencil Neck
11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
I guess I'm in the minority.

I HATE the new OT rules.

I liked it the way it was. You play a quarter, first team to score wins, and if no one scores, it ends in a tie... unless it's the playoffs.

If you lose the toss and the other team gets the ball first, then put your defense out there and get a damned stop.

Scooter
11-19-2012, 10:37 PM
If you lose the toss and the other team gets the ball first, then put your defense out there and get a damned stop.

that's the difference for me. a stop would be keeping the opponent out of the endzone, where as previously all an offense needed was 2 first downs.

The Pencil Neck
11-19-2012, 11:29 PM
that's the difference for me. a stop would be keeping the opponent out of the endzone, where as previously all an offense needed was 2 first downs.

From the 20 to the opponent's 35? Your defense shouldn't even let them get within field goal range.

Showtime100
11-20-2012, 12:09 AM
The only problem I have with the OT rules as they now are is the first possession/TD thing. TD or not I think the other team should get a crack at it.

Other than that I like the OT rules. Way better than they used to be. (No offense to Pencil Neck.)

I also like the "threat" of a tie. It gives the teams a sense of urgency they might not otherwise have.

Scooter
11-20-2012, 12:36 AM
From the 20 to the opponent's 35? Your defense shouldn't even let them get within field goal range.

considering our former returners have 5 touchdowns on the season, and we cant even kick it TO the endzone, yeah.

The Pencil Neck
11-20-2012, 12:36 AM
considering our former returners have 5 touchdowns on the season, and we cant even kick it TO the endzone, yeah.

This isn't about us. It's about the league.

Specnatz
11-20-2012, 12:52 AM
I just don't like the TIE thing. They need to fix that. JMO!

While I agree a bit, since it only happens every several years it is not a huge issue as was the field win before.

Scooter
11-20-2012, 12:53 AM
average starting position is between 25-30 yard line. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

still 2 or 3 first downs for a healthy kick that most teams can make

Dutchrudder
11-20-2012, 01:07 AM
I don't like the new OT rules anymore than the previous sudden death mode. I just wish they would change it to "First touchdown to score wins." That's it, simple, and it focuses on the most interesting part of the game. At the end of each Sunday, NFL Redzone does a montage showing every touchdown from that day, they don't show field goals, cause nobody cares about them. Touchdowns are exciting, field goals are meh.

Scooter
11-20-2012, 01:16 AM
I don't like the new OT rules anymore than the previous sudden death mode. I just wish they would change it to "First touchdown to score wins." That's it, simple, and it focuses on the most interesting part of the game. At the end of each Sunday, NFL Redzone does a montage showing every touchdown from that day, they don't show field goals, cause nobody cares about them. Touchdowns are exciting, field goals are meh.

i'm also at odds with this suggestion because many or most games that go into overtime seem to be low scoring games. had we needed extra time against the bears for instance, it would've been a tie. even with sunday's game, had jacksonville punted to preserve a touchdown based overtime we could've seen a tie. a touchdown still declares the winner now, but the current setting allows for a defensive battle to continue with more chance of a big play deciding the outcome.

Showtime100
11-20-2012, 01:23 AM
I just heard a tidbit on ESPN that I did not know. Houston was the first team to score twice in overtime.

Cool fact, if true.

Scooter
11-20-2012, 01:27 AM
I just heard a tidbit on ESPN that I did not know. Houston was the first team to score twice in overtime.

Cool fact, if true.

truth. 49'ers vs rams had the first chance as far as i know, but neither could hit on their field goal attempts to win.

TheMatrix31
11-20-2012, 01:38 AM
These rules are much better than sudden death.

Hate college rules. College OT doesn't feel like it's part of the actual "game". It's like a sideshow, feels separate from what you've watched for 60 minutes prior.

Just get rid of the tie situation. Keep playing.

ChampionTexan
11-20-2012, 02:16 AM

My problem with this is that since field goals are part of the game, why penalize the team with the better kicker. If one of the teams scored points because their kicker was able to drill numerous fileld goals of over 50 yards, and then you get to overtime and tell them "Oh, by the way, your kicker doesn't count anymore (unless of course you lose the coin toss and have to kick off)", that's simply changing the game as far as I'm concerned.

As ridiculous as it sounds, it's kind of like saying most people find the passing game to be more interesting and exciting than rushing the ball, so once we get to overtime, every play has to be a pass.

Speedy
11-20-2012, 07:56 AM
While I agree a bit, since it only happens every several years it is not a huge issue as was the field win before.

With the new rules, seems like there's more of a chance to end in a tie. The Texans game went to what, 2 minutes to go?

That said, I like the new rule even though I didn't want to change it from sudden death. I like that if you score a TD it's over. A team shouldn't be rewarded with a possession if they give up a TD.

The college OT isn't even football. That schit is just dumb.

The Pencil Neck
11-20-2012, 10:39 AM
average starting position is between 25-30 yard line. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

still 2 or 3 first downs for a healthy kick that most teams can make

That link is about where most teams start their drives. NOT where most teams start their drives after a kickoff which should be closer to the 20 than when you're factoring in punts and turnovers. But let's say the average starting point is the 25 yard line.

To me, each 1st down is 10 yards. 3 first downs translates to 30 yards and that puts a team at their opponent's 45 yard line. That translates to a 60+ yard kick that most teams can't make and won't try. 4 first downs or 40 yards is going to put teams at the normal kicker's outside edge where it's still not a sure thing.

Most coaches, being conservative and not wanting to give someone the ball at the 40+ yard line where they'll only need 2-3 first downs to get into easy field goal range, would punt there unless they have a kicker who's money from distance.

I've seen overtime games where the team wins the coin flip, drives down past the 30 yard line, kicks the field goal to win the game. But I've also seen a lot of overtime games where they were stopped and had to punt.

To me, this everyone "deserves" a possession thing is BS. You only deserve a possession if you can stop the other team. If you're going to go that route, then don't go halfway. Give both teams a possession even if there's a TD scored and then go sudden death after that.

Dread-Head
11-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Meh...

:bender: