PDA

View Full Version : Down 7 in the 4th, Watt dances after a sack

Allstar
11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Doesn't seem like the JJ we know and love, but OH, WAIT

The Reason for Watt's Sack Dance Yesterday (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/11/j-j-watt-does-special-sack-celebration-for-berry-children/)

What appeared to be a departure from his usual sack celebration meant a lot more to Texans defensive end J.J. Watt on Sunday.

It was a nod to the Berry children, with whom Watt has grown close.

“I was eating dinner at their house on Friday night,” Watt said. “They said they’re going to be watching the game. They said give us a signal. I said OK, when I get a sack, I’ll do the wheelchair.”

Willa, Aaron and Peter Berry were orphaned July 2, 2011, when a head-on collision on U.S. 285 killed their parents. The accident severely injured Willa, who was then 6, and paralyzed Aaron, then 8, and Peter, then 9, from the waist down.

The children’s story caught the attention of people and organizations locally and nationally. They got visits from athletes and donations from teams and other celebrities.

Watt befriended the children beyond the occasional fundraiser. He played wheelchair basketball with them last week, which gave him the idea for the post-sack celebration.

It’s not the first time Watt — who normally salutes after sacks — has promised a sack celebration to someone. Last weekend before the Texans’ Sunday night game in Chicago, Watt told Blake Geoffrion of the Montreal Canadiens he had a special sack celebration planned in his honor.

Geoffrion, who, like Watt, went to Wisconsin, fractured his skull a few days prior. The first tweet he sent after the injury and a subsequent surgery was about his conversation with Watt the day the Texans played the Bears.

But his game against the Bears was rare in that Watt did not record a sack. Sunday he got one, making that 111/2 this season. And he was ready.

“That was the wheelchair,” Watt said. “Apparently people are saying it’s a dance.”

Playoffs
11-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Gotta say, it's the measure of a real man to follow through with his commitment to be a special part of these kids lives like JJ has. His word is his bond -- they call that integrity. http://horatians.org/Smileys/default/salute_smiley.gif

HOU-TEX
11-19-2012, 11:51 AM
It looked like he was skiing to me, but what the heck do I know.

It was a pretty hard lick he put on him too.

Quick II Draw
11-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Can anyone provide a video or gif of this?

gtexan02
11-19-2012, 12:23 PM
That sack allowed us to get the ball back and score the tying TD. Reason enough to dance to me

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Can anyone provide a video or gif of this?

All I got is a jpg (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/11/j-j-watt-does-special-sack-celebration-for-berry-children/).

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2012/11/20121118_TexansJaguars_KAW_039-560x600.jpg

Big Lou
11-19-2012, 01:59 PM
All I got is a jpg (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/11/j-j-watt-does-special-sack-celebration-for-berry-children/).

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/files/2012/11/20121118_TexansJaguars_KAW_039-560x600.jpg

Looks like he's pulling his pants up to me...... LOL

Marcus
11-19-2012, 02:34 PM
I know I'm going to get crucified for this . . .

But when I saw him dancing after the sack, I commented out loud, "WTF is he doing dancing when we're losing?"

I wasn't cool with it then, and I'm still not. I don't care what reason he had. It just looked bad. There's a time and place, and then there's a time and a place. And celebrating when you're losing is not the time or the place.

rmartin65
11-19-2012, 02:54 PM

But when I saw him dancing after the sack, I commented out loud, "WTF is he doing dancing when we're losing?"

I wasn't cool with it then, and I'm still not. I don't care what reason he had. It just looked bad. There's a time and place, and then there's a time and a place. And celebrating when you're losing is not the time or the place.

Nah dude, I agree with you. I dislike dances in general though, so I am a bit biased.

buddyboy
11-19-2012, 03:14 PM

If you call it a dance, then you're right, that's celebrating when you're losing. If it's a message to someone that has special meaning, then it's not "celebrating".

Texn4life
11-19-2012, 03:14 PM

I don't think you'll get crucified for it. It's your opinion and I can see where you're coming from. I personally didn't think much of it at the time either way. It was a big play at the time so I didn't mind him doing his dance. If we were getting blown out I'm sure I'd feel different, but he did it with a personal message behind it. Much different than Cam doing the Super Man while down by 3 touchdowns.

GlassHalfFull
11-19-2012, 03:36 PM
When I saw it live, I thought, "someone on TT is going to be upset since we are down"

The back story is great and thanks to the OP for posting it for us to see. I have no problem with it, especially given the reason behind it.

ajohnson80
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
It was a big sack, it helped the momentum flow our way. I'm not going to lie i celebrated, but i saluted. Now i have to go learn this wheelchair dance! :d:

ObsiWan
11-19-2012, 04:16 PM
If you call it a dance, then you're right, that's celebrating when you're losing. If it's a message to someone that has special meaning, then it's not "celebrating".

I take this viewpoint. For this occasion only.
The man made a promise to a kid that was special to him and going thru some tough times.
While I agree that dancing when you're losing is normally dumb and inappropriate; but I think he has a get out of jail free card for this instance.

Perki-Perk
11-19-2012, 04:20 PM
I take this viewpoint. For this occasion only.
The man made a promise to a kid that was special to him and going thru some tough times.
While I agree that dancing when you're losing is normally dumb and inappropriate; but I think he has a get out of jail free card for this instance.

Anytime someone makes a big play that can potentially put their team back in the game or on top, I don't see the problem.

What's the fun if they can't get the offense hyped up who are about to go out on the next possession. Being old and grumpy is dumb in my opinion...haha

If it were for a reason or not, at that point in the game, I was celebrating with him. Now I see it had a double meaning.

disaacks3
11-19-2012, 04:24 PM

I wasn't cool with it then, and I'm still not. I don't care what reason he had. It just looked bad. There's a time and place, and then there's a time and a place. And celebrating when you're losing is not the time or the place. Yeah, it bugged me a bit too, but it was still a stop of sorts.

The cheerleaders dancing right in front of a downed player bugged me FAR more. It was really strange.

Marcus
11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
I dunno. Kinda as the smell of damage control if you ask me. But whatever.

I just hope he's smart enough not to do it again the next time the defense is getting their heads handed to them.

76Texan
11-19-2012, 04:34 PM
It's a good thing we won.

drs23
11-19-2012, 04:36 PM

I just hope he's smart enough not to do it again the next time the defense is getting their heads handed to them.

I can't see it that way. Truthfully, at the time it rubbed me the wrong way as well. After hearing the explanation behind I have no problem with it whatsoever. JJ made a promise and he kept it. A man of his word and I respect that.

Texn4life
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM

Damage control? Now I feel like you're coming dangerously close to questioning his character. If JJ says he did it for the Berry kids then I believe him. No one would throw these kids in the mix to try to cover their butt. You can not like the fact that he did it, but to think its damage control is just recklessly silly in my book. He's been nothing but stand up since he's been here, broke out a new move, and explained why he did. I'm sure he was asked what that meant and he said why.

For the record I thought he was doing the cat daddy when I first saw it. Search youtube Kate Upton doing the cat daddy and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can thank me later.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Damage control? Now I feel like you're coming dangerously close to questioning his character.

I can imagine what Jj would say about what someone like that thinks about what he does.

ObsiWan
11-19-2012, 05:07 PM
Anytime someone makes a big play that can potentially put their team back in the game or on top, I don't see the problem.

What's the fun if they can't get the offense hyped up who are about to go out on the next possession. Being old and grumpy is dumb in my opinion...haha

If it were for a reason or not, at that point in the game, I was celebrating with him. Now I see it had a double meaning.

Shhhh.... you wake up Thorn.
:D

TexanBacker93
11-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Damage control? Now I feel like you're coming dangerously close to questioning his character. If JJ says he did it for the Berry kids then I believe him. No one would throw these kids in the mix to try to cover their butt. You can not like the fact that he did it, but to think its damage control is just recklessly silly in my book. He's been nothing but stand up since he's been here, broke out a new move, and explained why he did. I'm sure he was asked what that meant and he said why.

For the record I thought he was doing the cat daddy when I first saw it. Search youtube Kate Upton doing the cat daddy and you'll see what I'm talking about. You can thank me later.

Exactly. The guy took the kids to a Bieber concert. Who does that if they don't truly care?

Doing a celebration after a big play when the game is close isn't bad. We were down 7 to GB when he got the sack on Rodgers and took off the Belt. Was that a problem?

Cam's Superman antics when they are losing big show a different mentality.

I have no problem with Watt's move regardless of the reasons.

Speedy
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
So when Watt got the sack, did anybody cheer? Yeah, I get that it's pretty dumb to celebrate when you're getting blown out, or you make a tackle 15 yards downfield, but it was a 7 point game. A game where a single play can change everything. Even if this wasn't for the kids, I don't see what's wrong with it and I too am someone who doesn't care much for the dancing and stuff after big plays.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Exactly. The guy took the kids to a Bieber concert. Who does that if they don't truly care?

Doing a celebration after a big play when the game is close isn't bad. We were down 7 to GB when he got the sack on Rodgers and took off the Belt. Was that a problem?

Cam's Superman antics when they are losing big show a different mentality.

I have no problem with Watt's move regardless of the reasons.

I don't have a problem with a guy celebrating in most cases, as long as it doesn't get too elaborate & if it's done with good sportsmanship in mind.

I don't like when they try to mock other players. Superman, that's Cam's thing. He brought that to the NFL & I thought it was fresh, original, & fitting, because he looked like Superman last year.

I don't like all the guys who are out there mocking Cam right now. That's just not right. I didn't like Jj Watt throwing down the belt..... poor sportsmanship in my mind.

I don't like elaborate celebrations..... Jacoby's dance takes 15 seconds.

I don't like celebrations in lost cases.... down by 24, I'm fine with a celebration if there is a reasonable chance that you can come back & win the game. Down by 24 with 2 minutes to go & you just scored a TD...... keep it brief, keep it classy. You just sacked the back up QB because the starter sat down 3 possessions ago since they are up by 20+ points..... it's kinda hard to stomach a celebration of any kind.

ObsiWan
11-19-2012, 05:53 PM
I don't have a problem with a guy celebrating in most cases, as long as it doesn't get too elaborate & if it's done with good sportsmanship in mind.

I don't like when they try to mock other players. Superman, that's Cam's thing. He brought that to the NFL & I thought it was fresh, original, & fitting, because he looked like Superman last year.

I don't like all the guys who are out there mocking Cam right now. That's just not right. I didn't like Jj Watt throwing down the belt..... poor sportsmanship in my mind.

I don't like elaborate celebrations..... Jacoby's dance takes 15 seconds.

I don't like celebrations in lost cases.... down by 24, I'm fine with a celebration if there is a reasonable chance that you can come back & win the game. Down by 24 with 2 minutes to go & you just scored a TD...... keep it brief, keep it classy. You just sacked the back up QB because the starter sat down 3 possessions ago since they are up by 20+ points..... it's kinda hard to stomach a celebration of any kind.

Damn... you got more rules and clauses than the income tax code.

foo82
11-19-2012, 06:03 PM
Can you imagine if he didn't do his dance?

Let's say we were down 35, and he got the sack.

Is he going to tell the kids?

"Hey Guys, Sorry for breaking our promise here. I care deeply about what the media and the guys over at Texanstalk think. I am certain that I will be condemned by the public, so in the interest of preserving my self-image, I broke our little promise. But hey guys, don't worry, at least everyone else still loves me."

TimeKiller
11-19-2012, 06:13 PM
The play after that was pretty nasty huh? I believe that was the 3rd and 21 for a 90 yard TD...

Completely off subject but why does no one have any smart comments about the all-blues or all-whites uniforms? Why is all-reds the only one? I think the all-blues look weird.

ajohnson80
11-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Can you imagine if he didn't do his dance?

Let's say we were down 35, and he got the sack.

Is he going to tell the kids?

"Hey Guys, Sorry for breaking our promise here. I care deeply about what the media and the guys over at Texanstalk think. I am certain that I will be condemned by the public, so in the interest of preserving my self-image, I broke our little promise. But hey guys, don't worry, at least everyone else still loves me."

This. The guy made a promise not only to do his dance, but that he would get a sack. Keeping his promise here is bigger than the game of football, even if it rubs some fans the wrong way. Those same fans will love him again come Thanksgiving.

ArlingtonTexan
11-19-2012, 07:07 PM
JJ watt while a great player celebrates too much. he has a finger waive for block passes, a salute for sacks, and something I forget TBL. I like it, because it is my guy, but he never (or better rarely) just makes a play gets up a goes back to the huddle.

Nice that one was for a "reason," but he has plenty of bits n his own accord.

Playoffs
11-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Damn... you got more rules and clauses than the income tax code.
I think therapy is in order.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p242/carlapryor/psychiatristsmiley.gif

Texan_Bill
11-19-2012, 07:19 PM

:secret:
Thorn isn't the only old a$$ curmudgeon around here. Don't forget about JB. He may not post much anymore, but I bet he still lurks!!

Marcus
11-19-2012, 07:55 PM
The play after that was pretty nasty huh? I believe that was the 3rd and 21 for a 90 yard TD...

Completely off subject but why does no one have any smart comments about the all-blues or all-whites uniforms? Why is all-reds the only one? I think the all-blues look weird.

They don't look half as weird as those damn ketchup bottle all reds. I'd rather look at those striped prison uniforms that the Steelers wear than those God awful things. YUCK!

fiasco west
11-19-2012, 07:57 PM
I didn't care honestly.

It would be one thing if they were down 21 or something...but they were down 7, it was still a very winnable game and he had made a big play as sacks always are.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 07:58 PM
They don't look half as weird as those damn ketchup bottle all reds. I'd rather look at those striped prison uniforms that the Steelers wear than those God awful things. YUCK!

I liked the red ones until they went to those shiny all red ones. Those made them look like Ketchup packets.

TheMatrix31
11-19-2012, 09:07 PM
He's the ****ing man. Simple as that.

stonewhite
11-20-2012, 03:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4On-ZdtUqrE

TimeKiller
11-20-2012, 07:00 AM
Well if that one damned comment from resident lame ass Tony Kornheiser is what makes you think those Steeler bumblebee tuna uniforms aren't the worst thing any franchise in any sport in any period of time EVER.....I just can't help you. The all-blues are exactly as strange any.

SAMURAITEXAN
11-20-2012, 08:32 AM
JJ Watt has done so much this year for the Texans. Leave him alone.

jjjezebel
11-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Yeah, it bugged me a bit too, but it was still a stop of sorts.

The cheerleaders dancing right in front of a downed player bugged me FAR more. It was really strange.

I had far more problems with this, than anything J.J. did or didn't do. I know it's part of the whole 2:00 warning thing, but it just seemed really inappropriate.

HJam72
11-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh, great. Now we got a problem with cheerleaders dancing. :hairpull:

:jk:

DocBar
11-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Wow!!! 9-1 seasons are great!!! This team is kicking so much azz all we really have to complain about is the approprietness of a sack celebration and a momentary lapse of tackling ability in the secondary.

Life is good right now for the Texans Nation!!!

The Pencil Neck
11-20-2012, 11:05 AM
I've got no problem with anyone getting excited after they make a big play and giving a little celebration as long as they're not taunting with it. Using someone else's celebration flirts with the line of taunting as far as I'm concerned.

Frankly, I didn't even notice his celebration.

TimeKiller
11-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I've got no problem with anyone getting excited after they make a big play and giving a little celebration as long as they're not taunting with it. Using someone else's celebration flirts with the line of taunting as far as I'm concerned.

You mean like when he taunted Aaron Rodgers and Clay Matthews as the Packers were whooping that ass on SNF?

jjjezebel
11-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Oh, great. Now we got a problem with cheerleaders dancing. :hairpull:

:jk:

I was just saying the juxtaposition made it a little uncomfortable. I generally have no problem with the cheerleaders. I think they're great. :texanbill:

MEGA SWATT
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't care what they do or when they do it, as long as they win the game.

In this case, had we lost - I'm ok b/c it had special meaning.

The Third Man
11-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Everyone agrees that football is a game that is meant to played with emotion and intensity, but heaven help you if you express that emotion in any way. The players are the ones who put their health at risk, yet a lot of fans think it's their place to register their disapproval if they "don't play the right way." Screw that. All of you Church Ladies out there need to lighten up. If other players have a problem with Watt's celebrations, they would do something about it. Also: 9-1.

HJam72
11-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Everyone agrees that football is a game that is meant to played with emotion and intensity, but heaven help you if you express that emotion in any way. The players are the ones who put their health at risk, yet a lot of fans think it's their place to register their disapproval if they "don't play the right way." Screw that. All of you Church Ladies out there need to lighten up. If other players have a problem with Watt's celebrations, they would do something about it. Also: 9-1.

Thank you, Bryan Brahman, LOL.

Thorn
11-20-2012, 02:30 PM

I was already awake, wondering WTF was going on on my TV. LOL

That was quite a game.

ObsiWan
11-20-2012, 02:41 PM
:secret:
Thorn isn't the only old a$$ curmudgeon around here. Don't forget about JB. He may not post much anymore, but I bet he still lurks!!

Oh not just JB, I'm only 5-6 months behind Thorn.

417Texan
11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Watt is showing emotion I have no issue with it.

barrett
11-21-2012, 03:22 AM
Watt promised those Berry kids who lost their parents that he would do a dance just for them. It was called "The wheelchair". He did it to bring up the spirits of injured children.

being 9-1 is like it's May on a message board...

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/11/j-j-watt-does-special-sack-celebration-for-berry-children/

Rey
11-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Well I guess the alternative was him not doing it and having the kids wonder why...

It's not like we were getting blown out at the time. It was a big play at the time.

cuppacoffee
11-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Oh not just JB, I'm only 5-6 months behind Thorn.

Couple of kids.:kitten:

:coffee:

Thorn
11-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Couple of kids.:kitten:

LOL. I hope I live to your age. I think. Perhaps lets just say I hope I still have my wits about me when I'm in my 70s as you seem to have.

cuppacoffee
11-21-2012, 06:44 PM
LOL. I hope I live to your age. I think. Perhaps lets just say I hope I still have my wits about me when I'm in my 70s as you seem to have.

Better have you wits about you if you hang around this site.

Some sharp cookies here to keep you on your toes.

mussop
11-21-2012, 10:13 PM
It's not like we were getting blown out at the time. It was a big play at the time.

I don't agree with Rey often but this is right on. It was a big play at a important time in the game. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it. Now if we were getting blown out or the game was essentially over then and only then is it not kosher to celebrate a good play.

Really a ridiculous thread! Rates right down there with all the "all encompassing" Threads. :gun:

Allstar
11-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't agree with Rey often but this is right on. It was a big play at a important time in the game. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with it. Now if we were getting blown out or the game was essentially over then and only then is it not kosher to celebrate a good play.

Really a ridiculous thread! Rates right down there with all the "all encompassing" Threads. :gun:

Did you even read the original post?