PDA

View Full Version : Sharpton Activated; Troy Nolan Released

Lurvinator11
11-17-2012, 01:17 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Darryl-Sharpton-activated-from-PUP/63494e30-f2eb-4f3f-a70f-b0e1ad6b5d14

In order to make room for Sharpton coming off the PUP list, The Texans have released Troy Nolan, again.

Watch for the Lions to sign him, and cue the GP conspiracy theories.

ObsiWan
11-17-2012, 01:20 PM
Damn. I liked Nolan.

The Pencil Neck
11-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I'm surprised it's Nolan of all people who keeps getting cut.

11-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Why does it always have to be Nolan!?!

and hurray for Sharpton! I'm sure he'll be trying to knock off rust in this game and the rest of the season, but hopefully he'll be back to what he was pre-injury sooner rather than later.

Allstar
11-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Demps makes Nolan redundant. Keo is the superior ST player.

Playoffs
11-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Watch for the Lions to sign him, and cue the GP conspiracy theories.Yep, Nolan will be eating turkey in Detroit. http://www.animated-smileys.com/smileys/thanksgiving/animated-smileys-thanksgiving-21.gif

ItsMyFault
11-17-2012, 01:47 PM
Nice to see Sharpton activated.

Lurvinator11
11-17-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm kinda against this, since the game is tomorrow, and obviously they prepared for the game plan with Nolan.

But, at the same time, Sharpton needs to get that rust off. It would basically be a good opportunity for Sharpton without having too much of a challenge.

Joeycharp89
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM
This guy has had a long 2 seasons of sitting on the bench, glad he's getting a chance to play again. Was a little worried he'd be dropped before he got healthy.

TheIronDuke
11-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Why Nolan and not Ruud? I like Nolan.

Lurvinator11
11-17-2012, 02:31 PM

Maybe they like what they saw out of Ruud?

badboy
11-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Yep all 46 tackles Sharpton has brought in his illustrious career.

Premier
11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
the gap in talent between demps and nolan is significant. seeing him cut again doesnt surprise me.. im just glad kubiak realized this and brought back the player that truly deserved to be on this team last season.. lets see if nolan gets picked up by detroit than released after thanksgiving..

ChampionTexan
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM

Maybe they like what they saw out of Ruud?

And the fact that prior to activating Sharpton, they had 5 safeties (including 3 designated as "SS"), and only 3 ILB's. Oh, and one of those ILB's (Dobbins) is questionable for tomorrow's game.

Plus, don't forget they already cut Nolan once, and it appeared at the time that the only reason (or at least the main reason) they brought him back was the injury to Demps (which is now healed enough for him to play).

EllisUnit
11-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Well atleast Nolan can stay healthy :pop:

Hottoddie
11-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Keo is the superior ST player.

Given the performance of our ST's play thus far this year, is that saying much?

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Well atleast Nolan can stay healthy :pop:

That may not turn out to be as empty a statement as people think.

76Texan
11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
That may not turn out to be as empty a statement as people think.

One is less likely to get injured standing on the sideline. :)

Speedy
11-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I'm kinda against this, since the game is tomorrow, and obviously they prepared for the game plan with Nolan.

So you're at the practices? Since Sharpton has been working out with the team I'm pretty sure he's been in the mix somehow.

Nolan wasn't even active last week. Not sure what the love fest for him is about. Since it's the defensive side of the ball I'll assume this is Wade's call and I'll take his word on it.

Corrosion
11-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Damn. I liked Nolan.

Me too , I wish they woulda cut .... Andrew Gardner.

badboy
11-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Me too , I wish they woulda cut .... Andrew Gardner.Gardner is backup for Duane Brown.

Lurvinator11
11-17-2012, 05:26 PM
So you're at the practices? Since Sharpton has been working out with the team I'm pretty sure he's been in the mix somehow.

Nolan wasn't even active last week. Not sure what the love fest for him is about. Since it's the defensive side of the ball I'll assume this is Wade's call and I'll take his word on it.

Well, no I'm not at the practices, it's just an assumption. Normally, when you have players on a team, you prepare with them, even if they don't play. I'd have to at least assume that Nolan was able to work out more, but I do know Sharpton has been working out with the team.

If you read the rest of my comment, you'll know I'm not really upset with it. Just weird that they did it so close to gameday, as opposed to using the last week on Sharpton's PUP. But, you said it best. Wade's call. In Wade we trust.

Corrosion
11-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Gardner is backup for Duane Brown.

Gardner bas BAD ....

badboy
11-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Gardner bas BAD ....snicker How can you tell? snicker.

Corrosion
11-17-2012, 06:01 PM
snicker How can you tell? snicker.

He looked more like a bullfighter than an Offensive Tackle , well he was pretty offensive .... during the preseason.

GP
11-17-2012, 08:01 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Darryl-Sharpton-activated-from-PUP/63494e30-f2eb-4f3f-a70f-b0e1ad6b5d14

In order to make room for Sharpton coming off the PUP list, The Texans have released Troy Nolan, again.

Watch for the Lions to sign him, and cue the GP conspiracy theories.

How was that a conspiracy theory?

I predicted it would happen. It happened.

It's how the league works: Teams sign waived players to help prepare against that player's former team.

Duh.

False Start
11-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Me too , I wish they woulda cut .... Andrew Gardner.

Yep.

I'm ready to see whats Al's kinfolk can do.

http://i10.tinypic.com/68259fl.gif

He was playing pretty good ball, before his injury.

Corrosion
11-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Yep.

I'm ready to see whats Al's kinfolk can do.

http://i10.tinypic.com/68259fl.gif

He was playing pretty good ball, before his injury.

I have never been impressed with Sharptons play .... Kinda wish they woulda left him inactive another week .... rather than cut Nolan.

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2012, 09:03 PM

It's how the league works: Teams sign waived players to help prepare against that player's former team.

Duh.

The Lions released CB Alphonso Smith a couple of days ago. Gardner walks out. Smith walks in.......gets his ears cleaned out. After the Lions game, Smith walks out. Gardner drags his limp ass back in. Conspiracy covered up. Game in the win column. Game over.:chef:

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2012, 09:11 PM
How about another scenario.

During a "safe" game against the Jags, Sharpton is activated........then released so he does not have to be paid as an IR or released with an injury settlement..........then we see Nolan's name back on the roster.:kitten:

Playoffs
11-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Sharpton: Im going to play my heart out tomorrow for my teammates, this organization & the city of Houston." #Texans

Darryl Sharpton: "Unexplainable feeling to be able to go out and play football again." #Texans

Allstar
11-17-2012, 10:05 PM
I have never been impressed with Sharptons play .... Kinda wish they woulda left him inactive another week .... rather than cut Nolan.

Nolan would have been on the inactive list tomorrow, don't see how waiting a week makes much of a difference.

Lurvinator11
11-17-2012, 10:06 PM

Duh.

It's a joke man.

I just remember how you were when it first happened, and make a light poke at it.

No need to get defensive about it....

Carr Bombed
11-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Odds are Sharpton will be hurt again before he ever records a tackle. That guy is the most injury prone player on the team.

Lucky
11-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Demps makes Nolan redundant. Keo is the superior ST player.

There is no superior special teams player on the Texans.

76Texan
11-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Odds are Sharpton will be hurt again before he ever records a tackle. That guy is the most injury prone player on the team.

How about me?

Signed Bennie Jopru :kitten:

Lurvinator11
11-17-2012, 11:01 PM
How about me?

Signed Bennie Jopru :kitten:

You just had to look at that guy, and he would tear his ACL. Haha

76Texan
11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
You just had to look at that guy, and he would tear his ACL. Haha

That guy had terrible luck, I tell ya'.

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2012, 11:17 PM
That guy had terrible luck, I tell ya'.

Truly one of the most talented TEs and nicest guys you'll ever meet........and he suffered a stroke just last December at age 32.

76Texan
11-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Truly one of the most talented TEs and nicest guys you'll ever meet........and he suffered a stroke just last December at age 32.

Yeah, I googled his name and read about the stroke awhile ago but didn't want to mention it.

Seems like he's fine now, isn't he?

CloakNNNdagger
11-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I googled his name and read about the stroke awhile ago but didn't want to mention it.

Seems like he's fine now, isn't he?

He has fortunately fully recovered.

76Texan
11-17-2012, 11:52 PM
He has fortunately fully recovered.

Great to hear.
Thanks for the confirmation, Doc. :handshake:

EllisUnit
11-17-2012, 11:59 PM

If u remember last year when manning went out Nolan filled in nicely and did a very nice job, he also played really well the season before. What about his play has made you not want to keep him is the better question.

Norg
11-18-2012, 12:01 AM
dont worry Miami will be picking him up again

mussop
11-18-2012, 12:17 AM
Nolan has looked good in the past but this year he has flat out stunk it up.

Wolf6151
11-18-2012, 01:58 AM
How about another scenario.

During a "safe" game against the Jags, Sharpton is activated........then released so he does not have to be paid as an IR or released with an injury settlement..........then we see Nolan's name back on the roster.:kitten:

I actually like this idea, and don't get where all the Sharpton love is coming from. He's undersized for the position, injury prone, and not that good. If activating him for one game and then cutting him saves us a roster spot and some money then do it.

Allstar
11-18-2012, 02:32 AM
I actually like this idea, and don't get where all the Sharpton love is coming from. He's undersized for the position, injury prone, and not that good. If activating him for one game and then cutting him saves us a roster spot and some money then do it.

He stole snaps from DeMeco last year, the coaches race about him when he actually plays/practices, and our ILB alternatives are underwhelming (Cushing and DeMeco aren't walking through that door). That is reason enough to be excited about the guy.

CloakNNNdagger
11-18-2012, 09:52 AM
This is a pic of Sharpton either being carted off the field...........or carted onto practice............sorry, not sure which............:kitten:

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3441081/130974459.0_standard_500.0.jpg

EllisUnit
11-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Nolan has looked good in the past but this year he has flat out stunk it up.

didnt see him stink it up this season.

welsh texan
11-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Sharpton has filled in for DeMeco at MLB a couple of seasons ago and was better than early-post-pregnancy Cushing at the position, so I struggle to see where the short memory comes from. I'm willing to bet that part of the reason they felt comfortable cutting Ryans was that they were expecting Sharpton to be healthy for pre-season.

The dude is injury prone, but at the same time we have Dobbins and Ruud in the mix there, Dobbins knows the system and is a nice fit to it, plays pretty well every time he gets snaps, and we all know that Ruud is a low risk pickup who will be very solid if he can recapture his form from a few years back.

Sharpton will take a little while to get up to speed I expect, but in a month or so I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter.

Bradie James is obviously the #1 but I get the impression he has glaring weaknesses which we have to gameplan around, getting stronger around him will help us out there, and Sharpton has run the D in his time too so may just bump him down a spot.

Nolan was the backup that everybody loved when his play was limited, and has a big play in him, but his coverage skills maxed out at below-par, and the more snaps he got the worse he looked. Demps offers us more in what is a high snap count role at #3 S in this D and the coaches and players obviously don't see Keo as the problem on STs, and I believe still see him as a project at S too, of course one of Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael aren't going to make the grade at CB given that we are fairly young, strong and tied up in contracts at the 2 starting positions and fairly strong at slot too, although McCain is hitting FA, so maybe one of them gets moved to S in the offseason?

I think there is the old short or selected memory happening to an extent, Nolan was not an option at S, while Sharpton is potentially an option at LB, I don't think we lose anything, but we chance our arm at gaining a lot.

Speedy
11-18-2012, 08:29 PM
If u remember last year when manning went out Nolan filled in nicely and did a very nice job, he also played really well the season before. What about his play has made you not want to keep him is the better question.

The fact that he's been cut what, 3 times this season alone, twice by Wade Phillips, maybe? There's obviously something about him they don't like.

Corrosion
11-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Ive been a "hater" on Sharpton for a while .... Dude had a pretty solid game today.

b0ng
11-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Yeah I liked what I saw out of Sharpton today for being away from the game for so long, it was a little encouraging.

Wolf6151
11-19-2012, 02:23 AM
Ive been a "hater" on Sharpton for a while .... Dude had a pretty solid game today.

Same here. In his limited action he looked pretty good and if he can stay healthy he should get better with more game experience. The added depth at ILB is nice to have. James seems to be playing better as compared to early in the season, and Dobbins is still a playmaker against the run.

TimeKiller
11-19-2012, 08:09 AM
He made a couple nice plays, decent tackles and then had some not so nice whiffs. I'm totally stoked for the guy to get back to what he loves to do but I wouldn't play him in meaningful snaps again until he knows what's going on. It was very apparent that he did not spend his down time studying the playbook.

Nolan being released again is no mystery. The guy can't cover, isn't very athletic and doesn't make special teams tackles.

welsh texan
11-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Well I guess that game pretty much blew away the conspiracy theories.

I agree he looked good at times and awful at others, blew coverage really bad at the goal-line for one of their TD's IIRC, but also made a couple of nice plays.

I'll put the not-so-good stuff down to him not being quite up to speed just yet, and look to see gradual improvement over the coming weeks.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 08:28 AM

I didn't think of him as nothing but depth. He proved me wrong, he's a play-maker, maybe just a hair below Cushing, but he's a play-maker.

beerlover
11-19-2012, 08:36 AM
It's about time that Sharpton was activated, the fact he could come out of the gate & get that many snaps says volumes about his importance to this Texan defense post Cushing out. Hopefully he rounds back into form through rest of regular season just in time for the playoffs. He is best coverage LB & fastest sideline to sideline, reason why Texans like him. :)

In regards to Nolan I have a sneaking suspension he could be picked up quickly by another team, maybe even this weeks opponent the Detroit Lions. :pop:

ObsiWan
11-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Nolan out.
Sharpton in.
And all of a sudden our defense gives up nearly 40 pts to a backup QB on a 1-8 team.

Coincidence?

Just wonderin'.....
:thinking:

76Texan
11-19-2012, 10:28 AM
Nolan out.
Sharpton in.
And all of a sudden our defense gives up nearly 40 pts to a backup QB on a 1-8 team.

Coincidence?

Just wonderin'.....
:thinking:

Demps out, Nolan in.
Packers game. Sugar huddle, single back ==> Texans in Dime almost all the time.
Nolan was in for some 53-57 snaps (I just check the snap count on Football Outsiders but don't remember the exact number 'cause I was fiddling around a bit.)

We lost big. Coincidence?
Just wondering! :)

infantrycak
11-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I didn't think of him as nothing but depth. He proved me wrong, he's a play-maker, maybe just a hair below Cushing, but he's a play-maker.

Did you move to Colorado?

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 10:33 AM
Did you move to Colorado?

Why do you ask?

infantrycak
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Why do you ask?

Because saying Sharpton is a hair below Cushing indicates you have been smoking something.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Because saying Sharpton is a hair below Cushing indicates you have been smoking something.

Just saying he had a good game.

The Pencil Neck
11-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Sharpton showed some things.

He was decisive in some of his reads, penetrated, and blew some plays up. We haven't seen that sort of play from our LBs since Cush left. That's the problem with Bradie James. He reads the plays right but then just sits in the hole. That allows the RB to see him and go another direction. If he'd just penetrate and attack the RB, he'd make a lot more plays.

Sharpton's probably got the talent to be OK in coverage but he needs the reps to learn his assignments better. Hopefully, he'll be better this next week.

Overall, I was pleased with his performance.

badboy
11-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Because saying Sharpton is a hair below Cushing indicates you have been smoking something.I thought you were refering to thin air and he was not thinking clearly. lol I just wished we had a LB on roster anywhere near Cushing's ability.

76Texan
11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
I think the general "rule" is such that you expect a 4th rounder to be a decent backup. If he turns out to be a solid backup (which I think Sharpton is) you're ahead on the investment return. If he can be a spot starter (which Sharpton was last year), you're doing even better.

However, he needs to be healthy to contribute; on this end, Sharpton represents a negative so far.

The net effect, IMO, is a push at the moment.

Playoffs
11-19-2012, 11:46 AM
.... Dude had a pretty solid game today.

He did, nice to see some proactive moves by an ILB. Been lacking without Cush.

I saw his interview -- on local 13, maybe -- and he looks and sounds like somebody recognizable, but I couldn't quite put my finger on who???

El Tejano
11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
I thought we played him too much and as a result there were a few 3rd downs they got away with.

welsh texan
11-19-2012, 12:51 PM

Hook, line and sinker beautifully done :lol:

Sharpton's return gives us back a part of what we lost in Cushing though, I imagine as long as he regains full fitness his snap count will get pretty high after a few weeks of bedding in. Best LB on the roster right now.

Corrosion
11-19-2012, 03:57 PM

I wouldnt go that far , Cushing's just another animal alltogether .... I still think Dobbins is the better player overall , especially in coverage. But he did play well .... and has potential for improvement.
Kinda eases the mind a bit knowing they have some talent at the position for the rest of the season , ILB had me really concerned going forward.

CloakNNNdagger
11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I wouldnt go that far , Cushing's just another animal alltogether .... I still think Dobbins is the better player overall , especially in coverage. But he did play well .... and has potential for improvement.
Kinda eases the mind a bit knowing they have some talent at the position for the rest of the season , ILB had me really concerned going forward.

He did have some nice plays, but he was miserably out of position or slow to react on others.......something I saw pre-injury. We'll have to see how or if he develops.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 05:08 PM

I don't know that I've ever seen Dobbins play behind the LOS. I could be wrong, but Sharpton was back there a few times yesterday coming back from a bad injury.

Yeah. It's just one game, & I'm probably going a little far putting him on par or even close to Cush. But we need someone, like Cush, who will play on the other side of the line.

CloakNNNdagger
11-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Sharpton has already found his way back on the Injury Report...........hip, neck and knee.:thinking:

HOU-TEX
11-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Sharpton has already found his way back on the Injury Report...........hip, neck and knee.:thinking:

Wade just said that Sharpton and James will be the starters Thursday.

76Texan
11-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Wade just said that Sharpton and James will be the starters Thursday.

Any news on Dobbins?

HOU-TEX
11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Any news on Dobbins?

They just said he has a banged up shoulder and did not practice. Will be a game time decision as will Posey, J-Jo and Tate

76Texan
11-20-2012, 02:57 PM
They just said he has a banged up shoulder and did not practice. Will be a game time decision as will Posey, J-Jo and Tate

Thanks.

It doesn't sound good for Dobbins when Kubiak announces the starter already.

Wait, game day is tomorrow; OK, so that's not too early to name a starter.

TheRealJoker
11-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Not a good sign that Posey is getting injured when he's barely on the field :(

CloakNNNdagger
11-20-2012, 03:06 PM
Thanks.

?????

76Texan
11-20-2012, 03:11 PM
?????

Never mind haha; I was watching the All-22 film on NFL Game Rewind. It normally comes out on Weds.

Corrosion
11-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Not a good sign that Posey is getting injured when he's barely on the field :(

He's played damn near every ST snap since he was first made active .... and been pretty solid in KR and PR coverage.

Corrosion
11-20-2012, 04:06 PM
He did have some nice plays, but he was miserably out of position or slow to react on others.......something I saw pre-injury. We'll have to see how or if he develops.

Cant dispute that , like I said , I believe Dobbins is the more complete player ... even if he isnt the more explosive of the two.

I wonder if they were just being careful with him .... coming off those injuries ?

ObsiWan
11-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks.

Tomorrow...??
Just what side of the International Dateline are you posting from?
:D

76Texan
11-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Tomorrow...??
Just what side of the International Dateline are you posting from?
:D

Hey wouldn't it be nice to be ahead of the world for one day.
The possibility.

I will be simply be happy with calling the outcome of a Texans game for the fun of it.

Just so I can say shame on you naysayers or sorry to burst your bubble to the Sunshine club, LOL