PDA

View Full Version : Pleased with our Inside Linebacker play

Texn4life
11-12-2012, 12:44 AM
Sure, these guys aren't Cushing and no one will confuse them as such. But Dobbins has played as well as anyone could hope for in Cushing's absence, and James has stepped up his play as well since the beginning of the year. Even Ruud stepped in and made a tackle when Dobbins went out for a big early in the game.

We'll need these guys to continue to play at this level and probably be even better to get to the Super Bowl, but right now I'm pleased with their production especially after the all out brawl we just had.

Corrosion
11-12-2012, 12:48 AM
I thought Ruud looked a bit lost when he filled in for Dobbins .... Probably expected since h's relatively new to the team.

Dobbins .... Ive said it before and he's makin me say it again ..... that dude just makes plays.

Norg
11-12-2012, 12:49 AM
our main weakness :::::::dont let others teams see this :::::: is our middle and with COdy out of rotation that intense a fies it

is Sharpton ever coming back ....??????

Texn4life
11-12-2012, 12:51 AM
I thought Ruud looked a bit lost when he filled in for Dobbins .... Probably expected since h's relatively new to the team.

Dobbins .... Ive said it before and he's makin me say it again ..... that dude just makes plays.

But he made a tackle though! lol........... He's rusty, but he did some other good things I liked though.

As for Dobbins, I saw this guy in San Diego when he first came into the league and one thing is certain when he's on the field........ You are going to get 100 percent effort from him, and he's going to hit you like you owe him money.

Texn4life
11-12-2012, 12:52 AM
our main weakness :::::::dont let others teams see this :::::: is our middle and with COdy out of rotation that intense a fies it

He'll most likely be back in 2-3 weeks. Sharpton will probably send Ruud packing when he comes back, and Ruud probably knows that.

Corrosion
11-12-2012, 12:54 AM

I dont think Sharpton is the answer .... Im much more comfortable with Dobbins on the field.

As for Cody .... you see what not having that guy on the field did to the rest of the DL .... they were "solid" but not near as good as they have been all year with Cody. The Bears were able to constantly double JJ Watt and get away with it.

Texn4life
11-12-2012, 01:00 AM
I dont think Sharpton is the answer .... Im much more comfortable with Dobbins on the field.

As for Cody .... you see what not having that guy on the field did to the rest of the DL .... they were "solid" but not near as good as they have been all year with Cody. The Bears were able to constantly double JJ Watt and get away with it.

Sharpton is more for depth right now more than anything. If we're expecting him to come back to start then that's not smart. He'll probably come in and spell James or Dobbins for a few plays here and there since he knows the system well, but I think that will be the extent of it.

CretorFrigg
11-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Dobbins is doing well right now. I don't see any reason why Sharpton should replace him.

edwardc5637
11-12-2012, 01:05 AM
They played a hell of a game tonight.

thunderkyss
11-12-2012, 02:01 AM
The offense didn't take the run game away from the Bears. We never got a big enough lead to force them to abandon the run.

Forte carried the ball 16 times for 39 yards. 2.44 ypc..... yeah, our MLBs did their job today.

I didn't watch the game yet, but watching the highlights, it looks like our LBs got deep, extending their pass coverage, which is amazing & something I've been saying they need to do for a long, long time. I even saw Barwin running step for step with Forte 25 yards down the field.

Corrosion
11-12-2012, 02:19 AM
The offense didn't take the run game away from the Bears. We never got a big enough lead to force them to abandon the run.

Forte carried the ball 16 times for 39 yards. 2.44 ypc..... yeah, our MLBs did their job today.

I didn't watch the game yet, but watching the highlights, it looks like our LBs got deep, extending their pass coverage, which is amazing & something I've been saying they need to do for a long, long time. I even saw Barwin running step for step with Forte 25 yards down the field.

Barwin was on Forte the play before that one , mirrored him like he knew what was coming ... completed in the flat and tackled him instantly. I was kinda shocked to see him in coverage. (maybe thats Wades version of the prevent or maybe Barwin read the play)

Then I see him on the next play deep down the middle step for step with Forte .... That was borderline illegal contact on Barwin. Luckily it didnt get called / cost them.

Showtime100
11-12-2012, 03:09 AM

Dobbins is doing well right now. I don't see any reason why Sharpton should replace him.

These 2 guys are smart. :)

WG9032
11-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Amazing that Bradie James can start and play well. Everyone in Dallas thought he was done, nothing but a liability.

TimeKiller
11-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Well Dobbins is filling out a check today, will he be suspended? I think he will catch a game for that hit on Cutler. We will have to see. Somebody else needs to step up!

Texn4life
11-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Well Dobbins is filling out a check today, will he be suspended? I think he will catch a game for that hit on Cutler. We will have to see. Somebody else needs to step up!

We should be able to beat the Jags with anyone at that position. You pick one. I think my little nephew can handle those guys. I really think we'll rest OD, Tate, and Cody another game anyway. Hopefully we can jump out on them early, rest up, and get ready for Turkey Day.

thunderkyss
11-12-2012, 08:19 AM

I think that was a bogus call. I bet he won't be fined.

IDEXAN
11-12-2012, 08:48 AM
If you saw the Texans GL stand vs the Ravens in last years PO game in Baltimore you learned then that Dobbins was a real thumper with his big 4th down hit on Rice.

TexanExile
11-12-2012, 08:50 AM
I suspect he will be fined but no way could he get suspended for that hit. The runner could have slid if he wanted to not be treated like a runner.

Dobbins should be really proud of the job he's doing. I agree.

utahmark
11-12-2012, 10:37 AM
I suspect he will be fined but no way could he get suspended for that hit. The runner could have slid if he wanted to not be treated like a runner.

Dobbins should be really proud of the job he's doing. I agree.

It was the qb and he did'nt even have the ball anymore. Dobbins could of let up. I don't think he will be suspended though.

Playoffs
11-12-2012, 10:41 AM
They played a hell of a game tonight.

Yep. Bears attacked us up the middle and our guys met the challenge. :bat:

Porky
11-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Dobbins isn't going to be confused with Cushing, but I'll tell you what the guy can thump. He is by no means embarrassing himself out there. Kind of reminds me of a VERY poor mans Ray Lewis in terms of size, body type, and style of play. Not comparing talent, but body type and the style of player. I like what he has done. Really stepped up to the challenge of replacing Cush.

In related news, although James is serviceable...as is a healthy Sharpton, the Texans need to strongly consider spending one of their first 3 picks next year on an inside 3/4 backer that they can pair with Cushing in the longer term.

GP
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I think that was a bogus call. I bet he won't be fined.

Oh he will be fined. For sure.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he gets suspended one game, too.

Whether he meant to or not, he knocked a QB out of the game with what is deemed an illegal hit of the worst kind (in the eyes of the league's office).

There will be blood.

Corrosion
11-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Dobbins isn't going to be confused with Cushing, but I'll tell you what the guy can thump. He is by no means embarrassing himself out there. Kind of reminds me of a VERY poor mans Ray Lewis in terms of size, body type, and style of play. Not comparing talent, but body type and the style of player. I like what he has done. Really stepped up to the challenge of replacing Cush.

In related news, although James is serviceable...as is a healthy Sharpton, the Texans need to strongly consider spending one of their first 3 picks next year on an inside 3/4 backer that they can pair with Cushing in the longer term.

I might be the only one , but I'd like to see how Cushing and Dobbins works out together. Cushing's by far the better athlete but Dobbins is always in the right place at the right time ..... Dude just makes plays and you just cant have enough of those guy's on your roster.

BullNation4Life
11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Barwin was on Forte the play before that one , mirrored him like he knew what was coming ... completed in the flat and tackled him instantly. I was kinda shocked to see him in coverage. (maybe thats Wades version of the prevent or maybe Barwin read the play)

Then I see him on the next play deep down the middle step for step with Forte .... That was borderline illegal contact on Barwin. Luckily it didnt get called / cost them.

Had Barwin turned his head inside, he could have had a pick. he was right there when Campbell threw the ball to Forte.

rolyat93
11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm a big Iowa State fan, I knew Dobbins would play well.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2012, 11:47 AM

I still think WR and NT are the biggest needs for this team. Cody was out last night, and the D-line parted like Moses at the Red Sea many times. We need a better anchor in the middle, and that needs to be addressed before worrying about a backup or borderline starting ILB. If Cushing wasn't hurt, people wouldn't care nearly as much about the position. I think spending a 3rd or 4th on a LB makes sense, but not a 1st or 2nd. We need a successor to AJ in the 1st and a solid NT in the 2nd. I'm projecting 4 compensatory picks for the Texans next year, giving us 11 total, which is way too many for this team. I think we could package some late picks with our 4th to move up a round to grab an ILB that drops out of the 2nd. There are some good prospects out there in this area of the draft, so we may not have to trade up at all for an ILB. I would also like to see Cushing and Dobbins play together next year, I think they could be our starters and then all we would need is some more depth behind them.

Corrosion
11-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Had Barwin turned his head inside, he could have had a pick. he was right there when Campbell threw the ball to Forte.

Its pretty obvious by that play that he wasnt real "comfortable" in coverage .... he was more concerned with staying with the guy than making a play on the ball in the air ..... Showed on the following play too.

He's got the physical ability to drop into coverage , just not the confidence in his technique. When they moved to the 3-4 I was concerned with he or MW (at the time) being able to do that. I dont know if I want to see much more of that .... even if it did work this time.

Reed has been pretty soild in that regard.

GP
11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
If Barwin goes for the interception and whiffs, Forte is off to the races.

Sometimes the thing you want is the thing you don't need.

I was really glad he shut it down and just timed it well enough to stuff Forte in his tracks, right on the spot. If Barwin misses on a risky move, it might change the complexion of the game right there.

TexanSam
11-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I might be the only one , but I'd like to see how Cushing and Dobbins works out together. Cushing's by far the better athlete but Dobbins is always in the right place at the right time ..... Dude just makes plays and you just cant have enough of those guy's on your roster.

My thoughts as well. Dobbins is a quality starter. Not a star, but he's not below average either. He could start for a number of teams in this league.

infantrycak
11-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Its pretty obvious by that play that he wasnt real "comfortable" in coverage ....

Suspect he will get more comfortable with more experience. He has the hands to make plays on the ball - he had almost 700 yds as a TE in college plus played basketball for two years.

ThaJokaa
11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Yup, I'm pretty pleased
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1720699/cutlerhit_medium.gif

DaTruthExplodes
11-12-2012, 02:00 PM
what?

wtf were you watching?

all i saw was cutler getting massive yards whenever he decided to run up the middle when the play broke down and runners getting huge gains whenever they ran up the middle.

there was no containment at all defensively in the middle. they had to get assistance from everybody else from the defense.

badboy
11-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I still think WR and NT are the biggest needs for this team. Cody was out last night, and the D-line parted like Moses at the Red Sea many times. We need a better anchor in the middle, and that needs to be addressed before worrying about a backup or borderline starting ILB. If Cushing wasn't hurt, people wouldn't care nearly as much about the position. I think spending a 3rd or 4th on a LB makes sense, but not a 1st or 2nd. We need a successor to AJ in the 1st and a solid NT in the 2nd. I'm projecting 4 compensatory picks for the Texans next year, giving us 11 total, which is way too many for this team. I think we could package some late picks with our 4th to move up a round to grab an ILB that drops out of the 2nd. There are some good prospects out there in this area of the draft, so we may not have to trade up at all for an ILB. I would also like to see Cushing and Dobbins play together next year, I think they could be our starters and then all we would need is some more depth behind them.Hope you are correct on the comps and that we can trade up with our own picks. Now is the draft to go 100% quality over quantity. I do not see WR falling to us to replace AJ eventually. Terrence Williams may be there but despite his stats, not sure he is the guy although he might be better than Jean (who?) & Posey. If I was sure we could get a NT in 2nd I might look strongly at Tyler Eifert TE.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Hope you are correct on the comps and that we can trade up with our own picks. Now is the draft to go 100% quality over quantity. I do not see WR falling to us to replace AJ eventually. Terrence Williams may be there but despite his stats, not sure he is the guy although he might be better than Jean (who?) & Posey. If I was sure we could get a NT in 2nd I might look strongly at Tyler Eifert TE.

Yeah, a TE like Eifert would be nice to grab in the 1st, but I think a team like the Bears or Packers will snatch him up in the early 20's. You could see it last night that the Bears are really hurting at TE after letting Greg Olsen go. The fans even boo'ed Davis off the field after he got hurt! Eifert would be extremely useful to them, and somewhat local being from Indiana. The Packers also need to replace Jermichael Finley this year, and Eifert would be an excellent fit there.

I think we would need to trade up for him, which would cost us a 3rd. If he somehow falls to us, then yeah I would take him, but I don't see it happening. This year's crop of TE's is pretty thin, and he's the only truly complete TE. I was thinking Robert Woods may fall to us, he's projected to be a late 1st on most sites and I like his speed and hands. Would be a nice option opposite AJ, since we already have about a half dozen slot receivers that could fill the #3 role.

Porky
11-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I didn't mean to turn this into a draft thread. Just made a passing comment. I would place a higher value on a RT at this point than nearly any position so I'm going to be looking at RT's with value at #32 (hint hint). Then I'm looking at WR, NT, ILB, and TE in no particular order. If Barwin leaves, it's again OLB time too and you can't have enough safety or CB prospects but I'm still wondering what's going on with our last two CB picks that can't seem to make the field.

Any chance Harris is safety material?