PDA

View Full Version : Three all time NFL favorite athletes...

Dread-Head
10-31-2012, 02:54 PM
We're all football fans, but each of us had a person or persons who truly made us love the game of football. Some of them have passed on, but if you could meet three of your living NFL idols,(retired not active) who would they be? Mine would be, in no particular order:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Barry Sanders
3. Mr. Warren Moon

Double Barrel
10-31-2012, 02:59 PM
1. Earl Campbell
2. Joe Montana
3. Lawrence Taylor

stingray
10-31-2012, 03:04 PM
!. Eric Dickerson

2. Roger Staubach

3. Kurt Warner

LondonTex
10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Well I'm still quite young in NFL fan terms and I've already met and spoken to Ray Lewis and Nate Solder and stood next to Steven Jackson....but in terms of meeting any 3 players at this current time (liable to change in a few years no doubt) they would be:

1) Aaron Rodgers
2) J.J Watt
3) Brett Favre

Brian Cushing is up there too

Trail.Blazr
10-31-2012, 03:12 PM
1 Barry Sanders
2 Bo Jackson
3 Deion Sanders

All three simply amazed me when they played. Seems like they were a class above. Bo could have been my number 1 if not for a unfortunately shortened career. Barry, however did it year in/year out and acted like it was no big deal... ultimate class. Then, stripping away the class :-) Deion, well, as flashy as he is/was, he backed it up!

StarStruck
10-31-2012, 03:19 PM
Troy Aikman
Michael Irvin
Emmitt Smith

The Pencil Neck
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
1. Earl Campbell
2. Robert "Dr. Doom" Brazile
3. Jim Otto (What can I say. I was a center when I was a kid and I idolized this guy and Mick Tinglehoff.)

JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, and Arian Foster are closing in, though.

disaacks3
10-31-2012, 03:34 PM
1. Roger Staubach

2. Joe Montana

3. Dan Fouts

I've already met Earl, Troy, Emmitt, Irvin and several others...only reason they're not on the list.

chicagotexan2
10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
We're all football fans, but each of us had a person or persons who truly made us love the game of football. Some of them have passed on, but if you could meet three of your living NFL idols,(retired not active) who would they be? Mine would be, in no particular order:

1. Jerry Rice
2. Barry Sanders
3. Mr. Warren Moon

Barry Sanders
Warren Moon
Nolan Ryan/Hakeem the Dream (Don't make me choose)

Rey
10-31-2012, 03:47 PM
1) Deion Sanders

2) Tom Brady

3) Peyton Manning

Don't care about meeting them, but these are my three favorite players.

eriadoc
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Earl
Dr. Doom
Barry Sanders

Double Barrel
10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
living NFL idols,(retired not active)

Just to clarify Dread's requirements.

Otherwise, Andre Johnson would have been no. 2 on my list.

ChampionTexan
10-31-2012, 04:11 PM
1. Len Dawson (was 9 years old and living in KC when they won Super Bowl IX
2. John Elway
3. Ray Childress

infantrycak
10-31-2012, 04:15 PM
Roger Staubach
Emmit Smith
Deion Sanders

I'm going to pull an alternate not many people will remember - Preston Pearson - Mr. Third Down - played in five Super Bowls.

gtexan02
10-31-2012, 04:38 PM
Andre Johnson (favorite texan ever)
Barry Sanders (tecmo superbowl love. followed his career because of it)
Emmit Smith (first NFL player I ever drafted in a fantasy football league. followed him closely after that)

BlackBeard
10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Didn't realize we had all of these closet Cowboys fans here.

1.) Doug Williams
2.) Chris Collinsworth (just think he is funny)
3.) Michael Strahan

NitroGSXR
10-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Man... I got a few but I don't know if they're still alive. LOL. I will roll with...

1) Steve Atwater. Here's why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThX1qkIgbEg

2) Jack Tatum. The Earl Campbell double KO is why. I could not find a video.

3) Ronnie Lott. I shouldn't need to explain but I'm going to anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pngoeKd1WTY&noredirect=1

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Man... I got a few but I don't know if they're still alive. LOL. I will roll with...

1) Steve Atwater. Here's why...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThX1qkIgbEg

2) Jack Tatum. The Earl Campbell double KO is why. I could not find a video.

3) Ronnie Lott. I shouldn't need to explain but I'm going to anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pngoeKd1WTY&noredirect=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxugRBWN8gw

1:15 mark and again at 4:22

gwallaia
10-31-2012, 05:08 PM
1. Earl Campbell
2. Kellen Winslow
3. Bill Bates

Cerberus
10-31-2012, 05:51 PM
I grew-up a Willie Brown fan, but I've met him. Then again, I've met Otto Graham, lived down the street from Jack Pardee, and went to church with Joe Theismann. I've also met a handful of Redskins from back in the Larry Brown & Charlie Haraway days, to include Mike Bass. So, with that in mind, I'd have to say my three would be:

1. Ken Stabler (living)
2. Reggie White (deceased)
3. Walter Payton (deceased)

My top 3 for non-athlete with NFL affiliations, would look like this:

1. Al Davis
2. George Halas
3. Paul Brown

SheTexan
10-31-2012, 07:02 PM
Earl Campbell
Joe Montana
Jerry Rice

NON football player, but one of the greatest names in NFL history, IMHO, is Bum Phillips! I would do just about ANYTHING to meet that man and have him sign my leather Oiler jacket! I'd take it to football heaven with me when I go!

NitroGSXR
10-31-2012, 08:17 PM
NON football player, but one of the greatest names in NFL history, IMHO, is Bum Phillips! I would do just about ANYTHING to meet that man and have him sign my leather Oiler jacket! I'd take it to football heaven with me when I go!

I got to meet his daughter, KimAnn. Definitely heart of gold people!

Thorn
10-31-2012, 08:41 PM
Earl Campbell

Don't need no one else on my list.

Lucky
10-31-2012, 08:46 PM
2. Joe Montana

Meet him at a BMC Software function when the Super Bowl was in Houston. Very laid back and a lot smaller than I thought he would be. Probably weighs about 175-180.

!. Eric Dickerson

Meet him at the Galleria just before he was drafted. Told him I hoped he went to the Oilers, but he wanted no part of them.

Earl is the one I would like to meet. Just to shake his hand and tell him how much I enjoyed watching him play and my appreciation for what he did for Houston. He will always be my idol.

Speedy
10-31-2012, 08:48 PM
Earl Campbell
John Elway
Jim Kelly (Houston Gamblers)

DBCooper
10-31-2012, 08:52 PM
1. Earl Campbell
2. Robert "Dr. Doom" Brazile
3. Jim Otto (What can I say. I was a center when I was a kid and I idolized this guy and Mick Tinglehoff.)

JJ Watt, Brian Cushing, and Arian Foster are closing in, though.

I've met 2 on your list, lol.

When I was a kid, my Mom was friends with Billy "Whiteshoes" Johnson.

Jogged with Earl and rode on Robert Brazile's shoulders!

Texecutioner
10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
If I'm going three, I'll put it like this.

1. Tom Brady - Best QB ever to play the game if you ask me. The 2nd coming of Joe Montana, and slightly better in my opinion. My favorite player to watch as an adult.

2. Joe Montana - 2nd best ever to play the game. He was my childhood hero growing up and I loved watching him flat out win even when he went to the Chiefs.

3. Brett Favre - The guy is just exciting and always made GB relevant. Loved watching that guy play all those years.

HOnerable Mention that couldn't make my list

Ray Lewis - Best leader I've ever seen in any sport. Best defensive player I've ever seen that not only could dominate individually, but could make his teammates around him elevate their game to higher levels. The year they won the SB, I've never seen a more dominant defensive player on a team ever.

Giant Tiger
10-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Earl Campbell
Paul Warfield
Vernon Perry (saw him play in Montreal)

DBCooper
10-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Going with the premise of Dread's thread of players that made you love the game:

1. Roger Staubach
2. Tony Dorsett
3. Mean Joe Greene

powda
10-31-2012, 09:41 PM
Deion Sanders ( might be the most gifted athlete i've ever seen)

Barry Sanders ( might be the most electrifying athlete i've ever seen)

Ronnie Lott ( not as athletic as others but his spirit and tenacity owned the field like few i've seen. If your willing to lose a finger to play you make my list!)

I really love polamalu's game and he's one of the few players in the league i'll go out of my way to watch, but he's well behind the 3 listed above.

infantrycak
10-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Meet him at a BMC Software function when the Super Bowl was in Houston. Very laid back and a lot smaller than I thought he would be. Probably weighs about 175-180.

Sat down next to George Siefort in a plane in 1994. Real nice guy. Just working away but still was very cordial and would discuss football even after knowing I was a Cowboys fan.

Ronnie Lott ( not as athletic as others but his spirit and tenacity owned the field like few i've seen. If your willing to lose a finger to play you make my list!)

I really love polamalu's game and he's one of the few players in the league i'll go out of my way to watch, but he's well behind the 3 listed above.

Look into Cliff Harris. Captain Crash was a contemporary of Lott and the two were predecessors to Polamalu.

Double Barrel
11-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Brett Favre is a good mention! I didn't even think of him. I'd change LT with Favre. I think Brett would be someone that would easily relate to regular people, especially over a chicken fried steak dinner.

BigLee713
11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
1. Earl Campbell
2. Deion Sanders
3. Walter Payton

I met Earl Campbell about 6 years ago while stopping at a little hole in the wall restaurant in south Texas near our deer lease, come to find out he has a lease around there as well. He had his Earl Campbell Sausage bus parked outside and he walked in on crutches, I guess his hard running style took a serious toll on his body...

gwallaia
11-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Sat down next to George Siefort in a plane in 1994. Real nice guy. Just working away but still was very cordial and would discuss football even after knowing I was a Cowboys fan.

:dangit:

HOU-TEX
11-01-2012, 01:58 PM
1. Earl Campbell
2. Deacon Jones
3. Howie Long

1. Earl was drafted right when I got to the age of really getting into football. I will never forget him as a player or person. My wife worked for TriStar several years ago and I had the priviledge of meeting him more than once. He's one of the best, most grounded athletes I've ever met. By far my favorite

2. I played DE throughout my football days, so how can you not love the cat that invented the "sack". Plus, like me, he didn't have "the size" that your typical DE had/has.

3. I began closely watching Howie during HS. I followed him a close as one could back in the 80's because I wanted to play like him. My heart could, but my body couldn't. lol

Reggie White was another favorite of mine. Like Howie, the dude played the game the right way imo

Vinny
11-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Earl Campbell - what can I say

Robert "Dr Doom" Brazille (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Brazile) Brazile found immediate success with the Oilers, winning the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year award for the 1975 season.

He was named to the Pro Bowl in each of his first seven seasons, was All-Pro 5 straight seasons (1976–80)[5] and was selected to the NFL's All-Decade Team for the 1970s.

He is the only linebacker from the 1970s All-Decade Team not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

In 1978 and 1979, Brazile was a key member of Oilers teams that went to back-to-back AFC Championship games.

Mike Munchak - already in the HOF, no pimping needed. Electric sledgehammer at times.

Texas T
11-01-2012, 03:45 PM
1. Earl Campbell
2. Jerome Bettis
3. Bruce Matthews

I love hard smash mouth workers!

kiwitexansfan
11-03-2012, 04:31 AM
My favourites are as follows.

1. Ronnie Lott

2. Steve Atwater

3. Keyshawn Johnson

Kaiser Toro
11-03-2012, 09:19 AM
Earl Campbell
Walter Payton
John Jefferson

HoustonFrog
11-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Look into Cliff Harris. Captain Crash was a contemporary of Lott and the two were predecessors to Polamalu.

Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters were two of my favorite Cowboys of old and a great safety duo.

infantrycak
11-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Cliff Harris and Charlie Waters were two of my favorite Cowboys of old and a great safety duo.

One of the better duos ever.

Saw an interview with the two of them. Charlie Waters credited most of his interceptions to people being scared of Cliff.

Topher
11-03-2012, 03:55 PM
1. Bruce Matthews
2. Bo Jackson
3. Junior Seau

silvrhand
11-03-2012, 09:18 PM
1. Barry Sanders

I personally felt sick when he retired.. By far my favorite player of all time.

2. Deion Sanders

Every time he touched the ball on returns it was "prime time"

3. Walter Payton

The high knee running style was simply a thing of beauty.. He running style was brutal yet sweet with those stabbing legs planting.. His death was unexpected and unfortunate for someone who was such an inspiration to so many people.

Mr teX
11-04-2012, 08:22 AM
Deion Sanders - played cb/ fs in high school...goat db in my lifetime

Barry Sanders - to see if i culd really get to the bottom of why he walked away

John Elway - my personal all time fav qb

I never saw him play but id really like to meet Deacon Jones too just for the all around good convo imo.

Dread-Head
11-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Troy Aikman
Michael Irvin
Emmitt Smith

I'm surprised you didn't mention Staubach. Dorsette, Lilly and anyone from the BETTER of the two Cowboys superbowl teams.

Dread-Head
11-04-2012, 03:14 PM
So by what I've seen thus far...Earl Campbell & Barry Sanders are two of the most beloved athletes of all time.

StarStruck
11-04-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm surprised you didn't mention Staubach. Dorsette, Lilly and anyone from the BETTER of the two Cowboys superbowl teams.

The OP asked for three. Listing my top ten was tempting though.:)