PDA

View Full Version : Texans 7th Best Team in NFL, 3rd Best in AFC - Football Outsiders

Playoffs
10-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Football Ousiders: Broncos are the best in the AFC (http://milehighsports.com/2012/10/23/broncos-are-ranked-the-best-in-the-afc/)
Apparently, team records are overrated. Just ask FootballOutsiders.com.
The well-known site released their team efficiency ratings this week and the Denver Broncos were listed as the top team in the AFC, fifth-overall in the NFL.
Surprisingly, the Broncos beat out the 5-1 Houston Texans and 5-2 Baltimore Ravens for top honors in the AFC. Perhaps even more intriguing is that another team, the New England Patriots, also ranked ahead of both the Texans and the Ravens...
Why .500 Broncos are AFC's best--ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8540723/nfl-record-denver-broncos-afc-best)
If there's a favorite team to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl this season, it probably would be the Houston Texans. They have the best record in the conference at 6-1, they just waxed the next-best team (Baltimore) 43-13, and their only loss came at the hands of an NFC squad (Green Bay). Is there any reason to think they won't be hoisting the Lamar Hunt Trophy in January? Actually, yes.

The Texans are not the highest-ranked AFC team in Football Outsiders' latest rankings. That honor goes to the Denver Broncos, perhaps the league's most underrated team...

Football Outsiders--Week 7 DVOA Ratings -- Texans 7th Best Team in NFL (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-7-dvoa-ratings)

Exascor
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
This is based on their formulas that are pretty accurate but...the Texans are low for really only 1 reason. They are 31st in their special teams ranking. If they were just 16th they would be a top 2-3 team in their rankings. Special teams hasn't cost the Texans a game yet but sure could have.

Imagine how good the Texans would be if they got anything positive from the return game or coverage units.

noxiousdog
10-24-2012, 11:05 AM
This is based on their formulas that are pretty accurate but...the Texans are low for really only 1 reason. They are 31st in their special teams ranking. If they were just 16th they would be a top 2-3 team in their rankings. Special teams hasn't cost the Texans a game yet but sure could have.

Imagine how good the Texans would be if they got anything positive from the return game or coverage units.

And it didn't get any better last week. The Ravens - averaged - 36 yards per kickoff return. They had more yardage returning kicks than total offense.

Just horrible.

Texn4life
10-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Well I only have one stat for these stat geeks. We beat the team they're saying is better than us in their stadium. Sometimes these guys just outsmart themselves. It also took a miraculous comeback for them to win their last game. Don't get me wrong I think Denver will be an improved team as the season goes on, but they aren't there yet.

TexanSam
10-24-2012, 11:16 AM

It's going to cost us a game or two this season. There has to be an expendable player or two who we can release to sign a guy who only kicks on kickoffs. The Cowboys did it a few years ago. For most teams, it would be a waste of a roster spot. But we're that bad on kickoffs.

Double Barrel
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Fortunately, the NFL has a playoff system to determine champions, and not some convoluted BCS crap or rankings where opinions mean anything.

I have no doubt that the Texans are better than the Broncos, including the win at Denver. So they can keep their editorial rankings and I'll stick with reality.

gtexan02
10-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Denver is the best team in the AFC. They have a 3-3 record, but their 3 losses have come to great teams including Houston, Atlanta, and New England. Houston and New England are rated below them.

Yeah, makes perfect sense :crazy:

I can agree with giving teams with tough schedules a boost, but you can't knock down the Texans for playing the 3-3 Broncos and bump up the Broncos for playing the 6-1 Texans and say "Broncos are better"

Its circular in nature and ridiculous

Double Barrel
10-24-2012, 12:05 PM
Denver has also lost 15 of 19 fumbles this season

How does this not reflect on the Broncos? Oh, "unlucky" factors into the equation. How freakin' moronic.

gtexan02
10-24-2012, 12:10 PM
How does this not reflect on the Broncos? Oh, "unlucky" factors into the equation. How freakin' moronic.

Its also poorly worded

They've forced 10 fumbles, and recovered 4 of them. Statistics show that most teams recover ~50% of fumbles (random)

They've fumbled 9 times, but lost 100% of them. Thats unusual and likely won't keep happening

Still, 9 fumbles in 6 games is a lot

paycheck71
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Recovering a fumble is not really a measurable skill. If the ball bounces your way, you fall on it, if it doesn't, you don't recover it. Chance is the main factor here.

Like someone mentioned. The only reason for Texans being low is the special teams play. Take that out of the equation, and the Texans are 2 or 3.

dream_team
10-24-2012, 12:53 PM

ST cost us the Packers game. I know the offense and defense stunk it up too, but we would have had an excellent chance at winning still if ST simply played average and didn't make huge mistakes.

GP
10-24-2012, 01:05 PM
That's neat that we're the 7th best NFL team to someone.

I think we're all in agreement that it's either 5 or 6 spots too low, though.

kiwitexansfan
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
I think it just reinforces how bad things are on special teams.

If we play great offense and defense hopefully we don't need to be special on special teams.

HOU-TEX
10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
If Tate hadn't fumbled in the 4th quarter against the Broncos it would've been a beat down. We were driving that series and had killed over 4 min of the clock when Tate fumbled.

Eh, espn's good for games, scores and highlights. I never watch or read anything of theirs that is opinion based

Exascor
10-24-2012, 01:34 PM
ST cost us the Packers game. I know the offense and defense stunk it up too, but we would have had an excellent chance at winning still if ST simply played average and didn't make huge mistakes.I wouldn't say they cost us that game. They contributed to the loss. That really was a 3 phase beatdown. You can't say that if special teams had performed average that the game would have definately been a win. But...maybe I'm blocking something out. That game is covered by a fog in my brain. =P

Double Barrel
10-24-2012, 01:57 PM
ST cost us the Packers game. I know the offense and defense stunk it up too, but we would have had an excellent chance at winning still if ST simply played average and didn't make huge mistakes.

Did we watch the same game? :um:

All four phases were dominated by the Packers. Offense, defense, special teams, coaching. The only 'highlight' was JJ Watt and the game clock finally reaching 0:00.

BullNation4Life
10-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Football Ousiders: Broncos are the best in the AFC (http://milehighsports.com/2012/10/23/broncos-are-ranked-the-best-in-the-afc/)

Why .500 Broncos are AFC's best--ESPN Insider (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8540723/nfl-record-denver-broncos-afc-best)

Football Outsiders--Week 7 DVOA Ratings -- Texans 7th Best Team in NFL (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2012/week-7-dvoa-ratings)

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/seriously.gif

El Tejano
10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I will go with Bill Parcells on this one. "We are who are record says we are!"

We are a team that has played pretty damn good for 6 games and had one bad game.

noxiousdog
10-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Even though FO has us as the 7th best team, it also thinks we have better odds than anyone of not just getting there, but winning the Super Bowl. That's a bit of a statistical oddity too. Any NFC team would be favored, but there's more NFC teams in the mix than AFC.

Section516
10-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Hmm. Wonder what the spread would be if Broncos played here for SB birth..We'd have to be favored (No new injuries to either team)

thunderkyss
10-24-2012, 04:09 PM

I think there is more to it than that. Our run game isn't as efficient or dominating like we want, or like we've grown accustomed to. We all know it, hence the vegan comments even though Tate has also been less effective.

The passing game has taken a hit as well. Numbers may be as favorable as in the past, but you're fooling yourself if you don't believe Andre is less effective than he has been.

& Sunday night was the first time this defense dominated as a team.

But the good thing about it is that the best team doesn't always win the super bowl much less win it & if we're 6-1 & no playing our best football yet this is going to be a helluva ride.

We're already seeing the defense improve that may have been Connor's best game to date but it didn't come out of nowhere as he was showing improvement the weeks before. Wade knows what he's got now & appears to b turning it up.

Same thing s happening on the offensive side of the ball, Kubiak is adjusting to what he's got.

Come December I think we'll see the best team this city has ever known.

Perki-Perk
10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I think there is more to it than that. Our run game isn't as efficient or dominating like we want, or like we've grown accustomed to. We all know it, hence the vegan comments even though Tate has also been less effective.

The passing game has taken a hit as well. Numbers may be as favorable as in the past, but you're fooling yourself if you don't believe Andre is less effective than he has been.

But the good thing about it is that the best team doesn't always win the super bowl much less win it & if we're 6-1 & no playing our best football yet this is going to be a helluva ride.

We're already seeing the defense improve that may have been Connor's best game to date but it didn't come out of nowhere as he was showing improvement the weeks before. Wade knows what he's got now & appears to b turning it up.

Same thing s happening on the offensive side of the ball, Kubiak is adjusting to what he's got.

Excellent take. I think it is also important to point out, at least in my opinion, that Foster turned the corner against the Ravens. He looked more like the Foster I'm used to seeing, and he has been improving over the course of the season (GB egg aside). I'm excited to see it all culminate into a football powerhouse by the end of the season. Works out pretty well that we have a favorable schedule, all things considered.

Hervoyel
10-24-2012, 04:18 PM
I think I understand why they're considered "Outsiders" now over there at footballoutsiders.com

It's really not that big a mystery.

thunderkyss
10-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Well I only have one stat for these stat geeks. We beat the team they're saying is better than us in their stadium. Sometimes these guys just outsmart themselves. It also took a miraculous comeback for them to win their last game. Don't get me wrong I think Denver will be an improved team as the season goes on, but they aren't there yet.

The Colts beat the Packers.

Quick, who's the better team?

Scooter
10-24-2012, 04:41 PM
per their rankings ... #9 on offense, #3 on defense, and #31 on special teams. seems about right to me there. without special teams included we're the #3 team behind green bay and san francisco.

SCOTTexans
10-24-2012, 04:43 PM
It's going to cost us a game or two this season. There has to be an expendable player or two who we can release to sign a guy who only kicks on kickoffs. The Cowboys did it a few years ago. For most teams, it would be a waste of a roster spot. But we're that bad on kickoffs.

I have a feeling it will be the Viking game... Percy Harvin is giving me nightmares. Our ST has to step up before we play them

thunderkyss
10-24-2012, 04:48 PM
Excellent take. I think it is also important to point out, at least in my opinion, that Foster turned the corner against the Ravens. He looked more like the Foster I'm used to seeing, and he has been improving over the course of the season (GB egg aside). I'm excited to see it all culminate into a football powerhouse by the end of the season. Works out pretty well that we have a favorable schedule, all things considered.

There were a few other good things on the OL as well. Brown is looking to be himself again & I saw flashes of 2010 Wade Smith. After the bye, I'm sure Kubiak is going to have that OL cadilacing (I'm sure that's a word).

& for some reason, I think we're about to see Matt blossom into an elite QB. I don't know why, but I think he's going to average 3+ TDs a game from here on out.

Speedy
10-24-2012, 05:06 PM
I don't know why anybody cares about this junk. Win football games. That's it!

Texn4life
10-24-2012, 05:25 PM
The Colts beat the Packers.

Quick, who's the better team?

Yeah, and the Colts played well for a quarter and a half that game. We basically dominated the Broncos at their house for 3 plus quarters. I'm not saying that the head to head matchup means everything, but anyone who watched those two games wouldn't make that comparison. One team won in relatively convincing fashion and other team won in an improbably comeback. If those 2 teams played 10 more times the Colts would maybe win one of them. I doubt anyone could say with a straight face that we would just win one out of 10 against the Broncos.

Thorn
10-24-2012, 05:29 PM
blah blah blah blah. We'll see who's who in January.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2012, 05:37 PM

We've all seen our offense be very inconsistent across the board. The run game looks fine, then the run game sputters. The passing game looks great and then it sputters. We haven't gotten a consistently good game from beginning to end yet this season. This has been especially true of the run game where Arian and Ben were getting an anemic YPC up until last week.

The problem is the line. The problem is the inconsistency on the right side of that line. Until it gels, this is what we're going to get.

We've been very, very lucky because our defense has done a great job at creating turnovers. This has given us some short fields and our offense has taken advantage which has turned into some blowouts.

BUT. Our defense has an achilles heel. Our defense is best against the pass. If a team decides it's going to stick to the run and just pound the rock, they're going to gain a lot of yards (like the Titans finally did.) If we're in a close game against a running team, our defense is going to get shellacked.

The way our defense is good against the pass is very telling, though. We're pretty good at getting pressure and forcing bad throws. This makes the secondary look like monsters but it's really disguising a weakness. Against a great QB who doesn't get rattled and can make good throws under pressure (like Rodgers), we get eaten alive unless our offense can pick up the slack.

The fact that our offense has been able to ground and pound late in most games has kept our defense off the field and helped them look even better.

We are a very good team. But barring injury, our best football is ahead of us because our offense should improve as the season goes on and that should make the entire team look even better.

PapaL
10-24-2012, 06:53 PM
If only we could kick the ball out of the back of the endzone or out of freaking bounds. Hmmm...

If only there was something we could do...

ObsiWan
10-24-2012, 07:39 PM

We've all seen our offense be very inconsistent across the board. The run game looks fine, then the run game sputters. The passing game looks great and then it sputters. We haven't gotten a consistently good game from beginning to end yet this season. This has been especially true of the run game where Arian and Ben were getting an anemic YPC up until last week.

The problem is the line. The problem is the inconsistency on the right side of that line. Until it gels, this is what we're going to get.

We've been very, very lucky because our defense has done a great job at creating turnovers. This has given us some short fields and our offense has taken advantage which has turned into some blowouts.

BUT. Our defense has an achilles heel. Our defense is best against the pass. If a team decides it's going to stick to the run and just pound the rock, they're going to gain a lot of yards (like the Titans finally did.) If we're in a close game against a running team, our defense is going to get shellacked.

The way our defense is good against the pass is very telling, though. We're pretty good at getting pressure and forcing bad throws. This makes the secondary look like monsters but it's really disguising a weakness. Against a great QB who doesn't get rattled and can make good throws under pressure (like Rodgers), we get eaten alive unless our offense can pick up the slack.

The fact that our offense has been able to ground and pound late in most games has kept our defense off the field and helped them look even better.

We are a very good team. But barring injury, our best football is ahead of us because our offense should improve as the season goes on and that should make the entire team look even better.

I'm with you guys. I think there's still work to do, holes to fill, improvements to make. A.J. still doesn't look in top form yet. Foster is just now getting right and Tate is still hurting. They still need to rotate guys in and out on the right side of the OL, back when we were optimum, all 5 guys played together all 16 games. I'd like to see two guys step up and take full command of the RG and RT spots. The middle of the defensive front seven still worries me; especially with Matt Forte on the horizon.

And special teams.... :toropalm:

I ain't saying we're winning with smoke & mirrors but those are some of the things I'd like to see tightened up if we're stay on this winning path and do damage in the playoffs.

Scooter
10-24-2012, 07:50 PM
If only we could kick the ball out of the back of the endzone or out of freaking bounds. Hmmm...

If only there was something we could do...

works for me, we should get another specialist to replace holliday - a kickoff guy. i'm to the point where i'd like to see us eliminate special teams. kick it through the endzone or punt out of bounds, and kneel/fair catch everything. as it stands now that'd be a noticeable improvement.

dream_team
10-24-2012, 08:47 PM
Did we watch the same game? :um:

All four phases were dominated by the Packers. Offense, defense, special teams, coaching. The only 'highlight' was JJ Watt and the game clock finally reaching 0:00.

I agree, we got beat in all aspects. But I also seriously believe it was the ST that set us back, and the offense & defense couldn't keep up. Take a look again at the play-by-play. Take away the Posey offsides, and the Barwin leap, it's potentially 17-17 going into the 4th. We could have had an excellent chance at an "ugly" win if STs simply didn't make mistakes.

Hardcore Texan
10-24-2012, 09:13 PM
I didn't know DTE works for Football Outsiders.......good to know. :kitten:

PandapuffTexan
10-24-2012, 09:15 PM

the way the afc is no way we would miss playoffs we got motnsh to improve come play off time with hard work and no key injurys we could be one hell of a team..what matters in the end is playing with heart and they played it agaisnt ravens..we didnt jsut win we made them look like amaetuers..more games liek that and we got great hance of makign to sb and winning

thunderkyss
10-25-2012, 07:34 AM
Yeah, and the Colts played well for a quarter and a half that game. We basically dominated the Broncos at their house for 3 plus quarters. I'm not saying that the head to head matchup means everything, but anyone who watched those two games wouldn't make that comparison. One team won in relatively convincing fashion and other team won in an improbably comeback. If those 2 teams played 10 more times the Colts would maybe win one of them. I doubt anyone could say with a straight face that we would just win one out of 10 against the Broncos.

Peyton Manning has been working in that system for all of 2 & a half months & they are already the most efficient team according to Football outsiders numbers, which have normally been accepted pretty well around here.

Now that they say we aren't the best team in the league, we're going to pick apart the flaws in their system. "Best" team doesn't always win. If the Broncos is better than we are & we beat them, dominated them, that can only be a good thing. Much better than us beating up on inferior teams.

Especially now. The teams we'll see from these two clubs in December won't be close to the teams we'll see at the end of December (& that's what really matters). We're either going to be better or worse. The regular season is a journey to the play-offs, that's the real season, the one that really matters.

speedfreek
10-25-2012, 08:50 AM
>Football Outsiders

The 7th best NFL ranking website on the net!

:koolaid:

TJ

Texn4life
10-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Peyton Manning has been working in that system for all of 2 & a half months & they are already the most efficient team according to Football outsiders numbers, which have normally been accepted pretty well around here.

Now that they say we aren't the best team in the league, we're going to pick apart the flaws in their system. "Best" team doesn't always win. If the Broncos is better than we are & we beat them, dominated them, that can only be a good thing. Much better than us beating up on inferior teams.

Especially now. The teams we'll see from these two clubs in December won't be close to the teams we'll see at the end of December (& that's what really matters). We're either going to be better or worse. The regular season is a journey to the play-offs, that's the real season, the one that really matters.

I don't care what the numbers say. I know what my eyes tell me and they've racked up a lot of offensive numbers having to scramble coming back this year. They've been clearly outplayed in just about every first half of all of their games. So is their second half play indicative of the true team? Some would say yes, and some would probably say no highlighting teams sitting back to try to protect leads.

I never said they weren't a good team. I personally don't buy into these types of computer stuffed stats, but that's just me. I watch the games and form my own opinions. So the numbers can say they're better and thats fine. Our record shows we were the better team when we played them on that day in Denver. Is that better for you?

b0ng
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
per their rankings ... #9 on offense, #3 on defense, and #31 on special teams. seems about right to me there. without special teams included we're the #3 team behind green bay and san francisco.

When you look at the rankings like this I feel as though that is not far off actual performance. The special teams haven't been bad enough to produce huge game costing blunders, but I feel as though it's going to happen at some point. If our special teams plays even mediocre we would probably be the top of the AFC.

However there is merit to the argument that football doesn't lend itself as well to advanced statistics such as DVOA or PFF's grading system, due to the small sample size. I think both advanced metrics and traditional statistics can be intertwined and you can glean a very accurate picture of how each team is doing relative to the other teams in the NFL.

DBCooper
10-25-2012, 10:31 AM
The angle of the dangle...................

Playoffs
10-25-2012, 10:40 AM
ProFootballFocus, fwiw ..... they don't really grind out a complicated algebraic equation...
1. Houston Texans (3rd)

A resounding win over a Ravens side suffering/recovering from injury was enough for two of our analysts to push Houston to the top of their rankings. With two (myself included) ranking them fifth, that Packers game hasnít been forgotten just yet.

2. New York Giants (2nd)

A chance for redemption awaits the Giants as they travel to Dallas for a big NFC East game. Coming off a big-time win over the Redskins, itís easy to see why our team isnít sleeping on the reigning Super Bowl champions.

3. Atlanta Falcons (1st)

It seems a bye week has given our team chance to accept just how fortunate the Falcons were in their last three games. They may be undefeated, but thereís not an awful lot of confidence that it will stay that way much longer when the schedule toughens up.

4. San Francisco 49ers (4th)

A hard-fought win over a resolute Seahawks team provided the perfect showcase for just how far this offensive line has come. The concern is the play of Alex Smith, which has dropped off the last two weeks. Thatís the glaring weakness in this team.

5. Green Bay Packers (6th)

It wasnít so much that Aaron Rodgers was playing badly in the first five games of the season, more that he had failed to find his 2011 form. Now he has, the league is on notice.

6. New England Patriots (5th)

The Patriots managed to look a lot more convincing in their three defeats than they did laboring to a win over the Jets. Thatís a concern, even if the form of Tom Brady shouldnít be.

7. Denver Broncos (7th)

Their record has teams sleeping on them, but after overcoming the hardest part of their schedule the Broncos are a team that could make a big impression in the AFC. Thatís what our team believes.

8. Chicago Bears (8th)

You can only beat whatís in front of you, but at the same time the Bearsí five victories havenít come against one team with a winning record. Unlike the Broncos, their schedule will toughen up and weíll get a better glimpse as to what theyíre capable of.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/24/power-rankings-week-8-2/

Giant Tiger
10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Its also poorly worded

They've forced 10 fumbles, and recovered 4 of them. Statistics show that most teams recover ~50% of fumbles (random)

They've fumbled 9 times, but lost 100% of them. Thats unusual and likely won't keep happening

Still, 9 fumbles in 6 games is a lot

It's about time that happened to them. They were slapped around so many times in the 80's & 90's & kept winning. They're the definition of team "lucky".

ItsMyFault
10-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Who really cares what we are now? The best team in the NFL is the one hoisting the Lombardi trophy in February. That's all that really matters here.

BullBlitz
10-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Fortunately, the NFL has a playoff system to determine champions, and not some convoluted BCS crap or rankings where opinions mean anything.

I have no doubt that the Texans are better than the Broncos, including the win at Denver. So they can keep their editorial rankings and I'll stick with reality.

I hope that Denver and New England keep winning because I'd them to be in the Playoffs.

thunderkyss
10-28-2012, 12:07 AM
I hope that Denver and New England keep winning because I'd them to be in the Playoffs.

I'd rather see Miami & Buffalo, maybe even Jacksonville (screw up their draft & steam roll them in the play-offs).

Grams
10-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Any good statatician can make stats prove anything thy want.

The only stats that determine who goes to the playoffs and Super Bowl are Wins and Losses.

SCOTTexans
10-29-2012, 08:22 AM
Any good statatician can make stats prove anything thy want.

The only stats that determine who goes to the playoffs and Super Bowl are Wins and Losses.

As i have heard a million times by announcers.... You are only as good as your record....

Tailgate
10-29-2012, 08:28 AM
All that matters is getting to the Super Bowl. NFC is irrelevant to me. The teams we should worry about are NE, Denver, and PItt. Those 3 teams all have Super Bowl winning QBs.

The BIGGEST game of our season comes at NE on a Monday night. That game is worth two games in the tie breaking standings.

If we can keep it rolling and pull out a win there we would be the clear favorites to make it to the Super Bowl, best team in AFC, and from there we could find out first hand who the best team in the League is in the big game. Getting Brady at home in the playoffs would be HUGE.

Going to be one heck of a ride gentlemen.

The Pencil Neck
10-29-2012, 11:51 PM
At the beginning of the season, people were asking "Yeah, but who have the Texans beaten?"

There are now 6 teams with winning records in the AFC (besides us) and we've beaten half of them.

EDIT: And two of those are division leaders.

417Texan
10-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Media also loves the Donkeys since they have Manning. Denver have not got this much love since Elway was there.