PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Sharpton???

Perki-Perk
10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Any news on his return? I know he was supposed to come off PUP. We could use some extra inside help.

TexanSam
10-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't think there's been any news, but he has two more weeks I believe until the Texans either have to add him to the 53 man roster or rule him out for the rest of the season.

Perki-Perk
10-23-2012, 03:08 PM
It's been oddly quiet considering the need. Like we might as well write him off.

beerlover
10-23-2012, 03:19 PM
I believe Kubiak has mentioned Sharpton is running full speed & looking good but as yet not practiced with team or taken part in any contact drills. I'm sure he will get tested with the team after the bye week to make determination concerning his availabilty this season.

Big Lou
10-23-2012, 03:22 PM
battleredblog.com said he wouldn't be back in the near term. They had some quotes from Kubes I believe.

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2012, 03:31 PM
It's been oddly quiet considering the need. Like we might as well write him off.

Wasn't he still on crutches a couple of weeks ago?

I'm not holding out any hope of Sharpton making it back this year.

badboy
10-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I think I heard that he is interviewing for a job with his uncle Al.

GP
10-23-2012, 07:31 PM
battleredblog.com said he wouldn't be back in the near term. They had some quotes from Kubes I believe.

Wasn't he still on crutches a couple of weeks ago?

I'm not holding out any hope of Sharpton making it back this year.

Like you guys are saying, the quotes I saw from Kubiak (regarding adding Sharpton to ease the loss of Cushing, back in the aftermath of our Jets game) is that it doesn't look promising.

He said something to the effect of Sharpton wouldn't be ready even by the time Sharpton comes off the injured list. So that means he's probably going to get fully I.R.'d unless he makes a huge turnaround soon.

Joe Flacco is not exactly a great test of our defense, either. I worry that this one beatdown we put on Flacco and the Ravens is more mirage than mettle. WITH Cushing, I think we're the best team in the league. Without him, I fear we're vulnerable to teams like Green Bay who have playmaking QBs who can beat the blitz better than Flacco can.

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2012, 08:41 PM
I don't think there's been any news, but he has two more weeks I believe until the Texans either have to add him to the 53 man roster or rule him out for the rest of the season.

He has about 2 1/2 weeks to start practicing and 3 weeks more until he has to be placed on the 53 man roster. If he misses either of those deadlines, he is dead meat until next season.

CloakNNNdagger
10-23-2012, 08:59 PM
When pec0sb0b's "rumor" was revealed last week (being seen on crutches), I stated that he would have most likely had an additional surgical procedure that we may only find out about "later.".......and, if so, he was unlikely to return this season.

PandapuffTexan
10-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Like you guys are saying, the quotes I saw from Kubiak (regarding adding Sharpton to ease the loss of Cushing, back in the aftermath of our Jets game) is that it doesn't look promising.

He said something to the effect of Sharpton wouldn't be ready even by the time Sharpton comes off the injured list. So that means he's probably going to get fully I.R.'d unless he makes a huge turnaround soon.

Joe Flacco is not exactly a great test of our defense, either. I worry that this one beatdown we put on Flacco and the Ravens is more mirage than mettle. WITH Cushing, I think we're the best team in the league. Without him, I fear we're vulnerable to teams like Green Bay who have playmaking QBs who can beat the blitz better than Flacco can.

cushing was a huge loss..but the afc is a joke this year..and if we are as good as team as people say we are we will coming out stronger..imo we had more key losses last year..we lost our qb and still almost made it to afc chapionship game..im not worried about our team getting exposed in the playoffs...more worried about the nfc but to really face them is to be in the superbowl..even if we dont win making it to superbowl would probably bring alot to people like johnson who been with this organzation for years even when he could of easily left..

Perki-Perk
10-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the information everyone. Well, I hope that Ruud guy works out!

76Texan
10-24-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Ben-Tate-Darryl-Sharpton-top-Texans-bye-week-injury-concerns/023bf240-f372-42ae-a78a-cc570da5e8a9

Sharpton tore his right quadriceps last season in Week 8 and was placed on injured reserve. He was placed on the PUP list after suffering a setback in his rehab early in training camp.

Sharpton was eligible to return to practice last week but has yet to do so. The Texans feel like he’s close. Last week, Kubiak said Sharpton has been working with trainers on a side field during practice and running “very, very well.”

Sharpton has until Nov. 7 to start practicing. From the day he starts practicing, the Texans have three more weeks to activate Sharpton from the PUP list. That means the latest he could be back on the active roster is the week leading up to the Texans’ Week 13 game at Tennessee.

If either deadline passes, Sharpton would not be able to play this season. He would remain on the PUP list.

Perki-Perk
10-24-2012, 03:17 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Ben-Tate-Darryl-Sharpton-top-Texans-bye-week-injury-concerns/023bf240-f372-42ae-a78a-cc570da5e8a9

Sharpton tore his right quadriceps last season in Week 8 and was placed on injured reserve. He was placed on the PUP list after suffering a setback in his rehab early in training camp.

Sharpton was eligible to return to practice last week but has yet to do so. The Texans feel like he’s close. Last week, Kubiak said Sharpton has been working with trainers on a side field during practice and running “very, very well.”

Sharpton has until Nov. 7 to start practicing. From the day he starts practicing, the Texans have three more weeks to activate Sharpton from the PUP list. That means the latest he could be back on the active roster is the week leading up to the Texans’ Week 13 game at Tennessee.

If either deadline passes, Sharpton would not be able to play this season. He would remain on the PUP list.

Thanks man! That is exactly what I was looking for. Let's hope for the best. Sharpton returning to full post injury form would be a huge boost in the middle, imo.

MSR, can someone get that for me?

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks man! That is exactly what I was looking for. Let's hope for the best. Sharpton returning to full post injury form would be a huge boost in the middle, imo.

MSR, can someone get that for me?

Got him.

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Before everyone gets too excited, let me take you back to:

Darryl Sharpton 'real close' (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/47682554/)

June 4, 2012 - 7:25 PM ET

Texans ILB Darryl Sharpton (quadriceps) looks "real close," according to coach Gary Kubiak.

Sharpton has been running on the side as the Texans conduct their OTAs. The third-year run-stuffer should have no problem getting to 100 percent ahead of training camp.

Source: HoustonTexans.com

Eerily familiar:kitten:

rush2112mn
10-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I dont think he makes it back until next year.

Allstar
10-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Dobbins looked great last game. I'm not too concerned yet.

Perki-Perk
10-24-2012, 05:08 PM
Got him.

Thanks!

Perki-Perk
10-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Dobbins isn't really my concern (I thought he even did well in coverage a few times!), That Bradie James character is what concerns me. Maybe if he didn't have a shoe deal with a cement company, he'd be less worrysome.

The Pencil Neck
10-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Dobbins isn't really my concern (I thought he even did well in coverage a few times!), That Bradie James character is what concerns me. Maybe if he didn't have a shoe deal with a cement company, he'd be less worrysome.

What Bradie James lacks in ability to play, he almost makes up for in ability to audible to shift the defense into the right set/call. He knows this defense better than anyone and he's a QB out there getting everyone to the right spot.

I want him replaced but not just by anyone.

Dutchrudder
10-24-2012, 09:47 PM
What Bradie James lacks in ability to play, he almost makes up for in ability to audible to shift the defense into the right set/call. He knows this defense better than anyone and he's a QB out there getting everyone to the right spot.

I want him replaced but not just by anyone.

Yep, and I bet the Cowboys are now kicking themselves for not retaining Bradie James this offseason. Watch their defense implode with the loss of Sean Lee, and nobody with experience waiting in the wings behind him. This was a good signing by Wade, and a smart, low-risk move to increase continuity among the defense. Especially after trading Ryans, who otherwise would have assumed this role.

CloakNNNdagger
10-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Yep, and I bet the Cowboys are now kicking themselves for not retaining Bradie James this offseason. Watch their defense implode with the loss of Sean Lee, and nobody with experience waiting in the wings behind him. This was a good signing by Wade, and a smart, low-risk move to increase continuity among the defense. Especially after trading Ryans, who otherwise would have assumed this role.

Yeh. Jeruh has helped his GM change his underwear several times a day since realizing the the Cowboys are playing the Giants next........without a real ILB "QB.":chef:

badboy
10-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Let's see 2010 Sharpton had 34 combined tackles in 12 games.
2011 12 combined tackles in 8 games. Can anyone say Domannique Barber?

SteveSlaton20
10-24-2012, 10:49 PM
He was one of my favorite player on defense last year before he got hurt, so I'd love to have him back. Never was a fan of James but he hasn't done anything that makes me want to cut him or something. He's basically the QB of the defense since Cushing is out. The defense showed last week that he can play against any offense, IMO.

Not sure if I'd seen Ruud yet. He's probably still learning the playbook, so we probably wont see him for awhile.

SteveSlaton20
10-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Let's see 2010 Sharpton had 34 combined tackles in 12 games.
2011 12 combined tackles in 8 games. Can anyone say Domannique Barber?

can we say badboy = troll?

badboy
10-24-2012, 10:59 PM

Really? Why is that? Thread title and I addressed it with facts. Interesting that I've never been called a troll and you do.

speedfreek
10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
If Daryl can't make it, maybe we can get Al and he'll lull the offense to sleep stumping for some political cause..

TJ

GP
10-25-2012, 10:19 AM

He's not a troll at all.

Trolling is when a poster stays on ONE thing and never lets it die.

Example: "The head coach sux!"

Next post from that poster: "Our HC is awful, that none of you see this...it's sad."

Next next post: "LOL. Yeah, well if we had a better HC we'd be unstoppable. The guy is garbage. Wake up and smell the coffee."

And those posts, they're in almost EVERY thread...not just a "Our HC Sux" thread. They take their pet project, coach bashing, and inject it into every single thread they can. Baiting others into arguments over it.

THAT is trolling.

Another form of trolling is when somebody makes personal attacks with no real contribution to the discussion of ideas about the thread's topics.

Badboy isn't trolling. He's giving his opinions, he's backing it up with numbers, etc. That's not trolling. He's engaging in the conversation and staying within the framework of the thread topic.

Nothing personal from me to you or anything...I'm just letting you know in case you are unsure of what trolling is and isn't.

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
610 just reported that Kubiak today again said that Sharpton is "very close but still not practicing."

jahunter221
10-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Lol. Freaking Kubiak. How is he close if he isnt practicing?:headhurts:

TimeKiller
10-29-2012, 01:39 PM
"Real close"

lol...sorry, I couldn't help it.

Thorn
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
He's real close to being real close.

Perki-Perk
10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
He's not a troll at all.

Trolling is when a poster stays on ONE thing and never lets it die.

Example: "The head coach sux!"

Next post from that poster: "Our HC is awful, that none of you see this...it's sad."

Next next post: "LOL. Yeah, well if we had a better HC we'd be unstoppable. The guy is garbage. Wake up and smell the coffee."

And those posts, they're in almost EVERY thread...not just a "Our HC Sux" thread. They take their pet project, coach bashing, and inject it into every single thread they can. Baiting others into arguments over it.

THAT is trolling.

Another form of trolling is when somebody makes personal attacks with no real contribution to the discussion of ideas about the thread's topics.

Badboy isn't trolling. He's giving his opinions, he's backing it up with numbers, etc. That's not trolling. He's engaging in the conversation and staying within the framework of the thread topic.

Nothing personal from me to you or anything...I'm just letting you know in case you are unsure of what trolling is and isn't.

Trolling??? :thinking:

:kitten:

Perki-Perk
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
610 just reported that Kubiak today again said that Sharpton is "very close but still not practicing."

Maybe Kubiak trolling?? :thinking:

SAMURAITEXAN
10-29-2012, 05:58 PM
This is great news. Hope he comes back.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/10/ilb-daryl-sharpton-very-very-close-to-practicing/

Go Texans!!!

CloakNNNdagger
10-29-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm sure Kubiak got his information from someone else. Some things though, especially medical, can occasionally be entirely misunderstood.

http://cdn.hivehealthmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/very-close-veins.jpg

DocBar
10-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeh. Jeruh has helped his GM change his underwear several times a day since realizing the the Cowboys are playing the Giants next........without a real ILB "QB.":chef:

um...Jeruh is his own GM. That's the biggest problem with the Cowgirls.

thunderkyss
10-29-2012, 09:58 PM

I'm thinking some of us are expecting more from Sharpton than others. I think he's a good player, but he's depth. He doesn't, imo, add anything to the defense than what Dobbins has shown.

Barrett Ruud is the guy I'm most curious about. If he can "return to form" maybe he can fill that dynamic void left by Cushing, or at least shore that up a little bit, provide a spark from time to time.

Otherwise, Dobbins looked solid & has since he's got here. Leave him in.

HOU-TEX
11-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Getting closer?

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

ILB Darryl Sharpton (quad/PUP) said he plans to practice next week. "I look forward to hitting some people." #Texans

The Pencil Neck
11-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Getting closer?

Maybe.

ChampionTexan
11-06-2012, 04:14 PM
From Twitter:
Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

#Texans have cleared ILB Darryl Sharpton to return to practice. He's still on PUP- doesn't count against active roster

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

The #Texans have 3 weeks to move Sharpton to the active roster. Earliest he can return is this Sunday. Latest is Week 13

rush2112mn
11-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I was listening to the Kubiak show this past monday after the bills game and Kubiak seems to think he is ready. Maybe he can see the field this week....

drs23
11-06-2012, 05:12 PM
I was listening to the Kubiak show this past monday after the bills game and Kubiak seems to think he is ready. Maybe he can see the field this week....

Yep. As in "tomorrow" this week.

LINK (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/11/sharpton-to-return-to-practice/)

CloakNNNdagger
11-06-2012, 07:06 PM

He should get a great view of the field this Sunday.........from the sideline.:thinking:

Joeycharp89
11-07-2012, 02:36 PM
It's great to see him off the PUP list, but I'd be scared if I saw him on the field against the Bears.

CloakNNNdagger
11-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Texans’ Sharpton returns after a yearlong absence (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/11/texans-linebacker-sharpton-returns-after-a-yearlong-absence/)
Published on November 7th, 2012
Written by: Dale Robertson

If you remember my posts re. the hip probably being a "compensation" injury secondary to unrealistically working the quad too heavily and too early trying to get back to football too soon.

And the day training camp opened, coach Gary Kubiak suggested Sharpton was close to returning.

He wasn’t. Instead, he wound up on the physically-unable-to-perform list, ensuring he’d miss the first half of the season.

Slow and steady

“I went into training camp thinking I was going to hit the ground running,” Sharpton said. “But I guess I overcompensated on my other (left) leg and hurt my hip. But I stayed positive. I just continued to rehab, keep my faith in God’s plan for me, and now I’m here. It felt good to get back on the field and play with my friends again, just running around out there and getting the adrenaline flowing.

“I eased into it but got more and more confident as practice went on. It’s hard to simulate playing football, the physical part, the stamina part. I’m sure I’ll catch on, get the muscle memory back. I’ve been working out hard, lifting weights, stretching, doing everything I needed to do in preparation.”

Doppelganger
11-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Texans’ Sharpton returns after a yearlong absence (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/11/texans-linebacker-sharpton-returns-after-a-yearlong-absence/)
Published on November 7th, 2012
Written by: Dale Robertson

If you remember my posts re. the hip probably being a "compensation" injury secondary to unrealistically working the quad too heavily and too early trying to get back to football too soon.

Doc,
Based on the info we know(I know the Texans tend to not disclose a lot) what is the prognosis for Sharper moving forward? Is there a likelier chance for reinjury or to injure something else due to compensation(as he did in TC)? While he is "in shape" he is clearly not in game shape. About how long do you think it will take to get him back into "game shape"?

Thank you sir!

Texas T
11-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Doc,
Based on the info we know(I know the Texans tend to not disclose a lot) what is the prognosis for Sharper moving forward? Is there a likelier chance for reinjury or to injure something else due to compensation(as he did in TC)? While he is "in shape" he is clearly not in game shape. About how long do you think it will take to get him back into "game shape"?

Thank you sir!

Wow took me back for a minute there...not good...much happier now.

CloakNNNdagger
11-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Doc,

Thank you sir!

The only thing that can really be said at this time is that it must be considered that he is coming back from both a quad and a hip problem.......neither has yet been game-tested. His last set back was suffered during rehab. Rehab must be performed step wise with step-wise goals met completely before going onto the next. This can and should be a carefully controlled schedule. The next level is practice. And this is considered a significant milestone. As we all know, "stuff" happens in practice......but despite this, during practice, there is still the ability for the coaches to control the exposure. During this phase, the extent of contact can be controlled or eliminated according to progress.......and this is the phase where the player begins to learn his true limitations and how much of his strength, responses and coordination has returned, and how much needs to be regained before placed into real game situation. If this triad of goals has not been attained, expect him to be both ineffective and high risk for re-injury........especially for a player that has already had a long history of not being able to remain intact on the field for very long. If the Texans are smart they will try to maximize his practice period (at least 2 and more hopefully the full three weeks) before activating him and possibly putting him into a real game situation...........where he or they will have virtually no control over "opposing forces."

I hope this gives you an idea of my line of thinking as concerns Sharpton.

Playoffs
06-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Finally healthy, Sharpton plans to stay that way for Texans (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Finally-healthy-Sharpton-plans-to-stay-that-way-4585251.php?t=e90e7c7f03f9985617)

Finally healthy after nearly a full year of battling injuries, Sharpton is looking forward to a regular offseason and preseason, not one consumed by recovery. Sharpton now becomes one of the stable pieces in the team's linebacking corps. And he intends to stay that way.

"I don't know if people really give him credit for it - to me he is an aggressive, electrifying type of player," Texans defensive end Antonio Smith said. "Every time he gets in his groove, he's had an injury. So I'm just hoping and I'm going to keep praying for him that he stays healthy, because he can really help this team."
"I'm just looking forward to hitting somebody," Sharpton said. "That's my favorite part of the game, that element of it. … I'm looking forward to a huge season, and our number one goal this year is obviously to win the Super Bowl. That's like the big-picture thing."

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2013-organized-team-activities/20130606_texans_otas_btc_08.jpg

Rey
06-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Finally healthy, Sharpton plans to stay that way for Texans (http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texans/article/Finally-healthy-Sharpton-plans-to-stay-that-way-4585251.php?t=e90e7c7f03f9985617)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/wp-content/blogs.dir/2348/files/texans-2013-organized-team-activities/20130606_texans_otas_btc_08.jpg

I'm kind of excited about Sharpton...

But I'm a bit confused as to how our LB corps are right now...

Kubiak said that Braman is starting, but I thought I read something the other day that said Sharpton was starting inside and Reed was starting outside.

If Reed goes back outside, I don't think that's a good look for him.

Playoffs
06-07-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm kind of excited about Sharpton...

But I'm a bit confused as to how our LB corps are right now...

Kubiak said that Braman is starting, but I thought I read something the other day that said Sharpton was starting inside and Reed was starting outside.

If Reed goes back outside, I don't think that's a good look for him.

Cushing is still out, so Sharpton & Braman start with Reed & Mercilus on the outside. Reed has been given reps at ILB in case of injury to give the team flexibility. Wade might use that to put a wrinkle in it at some point.

thunderkyss
06-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Cushing is still out, so Sharpton & Braman start with Reed & Mercilus on the outside. Reed has been given reps at ILB in case of injury to give the team flexibility. Wade might use that to put a wrinkle in it at some point.

I thought it was Sharpton & Reed inside, Braman & Mercilus on the outside.

Playoffs
06-07-2013, 06:37 PM
I thought it was Sharpton & Reed inside, Braman & Mercilus on the outside.

You're right, Reed is in Cushing's spot for now. He'll be outside when Cush returns.

thunderkyss
06-07-2013, 07:10 PM
You're right, Reed is in Cushing's spot for now. He'll be outside when Cush returns.

I don't know. I doubt they've made up their mind.

They still have the option of moving Cushing back to Mike, leaving Reed at Mo & starting Braman at OLB.

I'm sure it's going to depend on who they feel earns a starting spot. Sharpton, Braman, or Montgomery.

ObsiWan
06-08-2013, 12:36 AM

They still have the option of moving Cushing back to Mike, leaving Reed at Mo & starting Braman at OLB.

I'm sure it's going to depend on who they feel earns a starting spot. Sharpton, Braman, or Montgomery.

We've heard from Kubiak but what does Wade say? Haven't heard many words from our defensive Buddha on what the plan might be. Anyone got some WadeWords on our possible defensive alignment/rotation?
...anybody...??

HJam72
06-08-2013, 04:23 AM
Sharpton is a hard-hitting animal out there, and I respect that, but he needs to get some self-awareness regarding his health. If he's not causing an injury, he's acquiring one.

I know one thing, him and Dobbins get my vote for goal-line stands.

IDEXAN
06-08-2013, 02:04 PM
We've had a couple (or more) of disappointments re the availability of certain players because of injuries, but the situation with Sharpton be ready, willing, and able to play sooner than most everyone expected is clearly a pleasant surprise.

welsh texan
06-09-2013, 07:13 AM
This guy is capable of being a solid starter and the fact that the Texans haven't dumped him due to his injury history tells me that they think the same thing.

I really do believe that Cushing and Sharpton in the middle can be a great partnership. If Reed has flexibility across the LB positions then we can throw some interesting looks that were sorely missing in the latter stages of last season.

Our LBs were getting pulled into all sorts of hideous positions pre-snap because we didn't have the versatility to disguise anything.

With Reed in the rotation, you can send either him or Cush off the edge now and again, have them both stay in the box or whatever, its a nice situation.

Only thing is, does Sharpton stay healthy this time? With him in good shape I'm confident in our LB corps, OK the OLBs aren't the best but with Watt and Ninja at DE we can cover for that, hopefully experience will improve that young group as well.

This is cautious optimism on my part, but after Cush went down, a relatively unfit (game-shape) Sharpton looked the best of what we had to me. Need this guy to get a full season under his belt, followed by a full and healthy off-season next year and I think we could be set moving forward. You don't need all-pro's at every position.

thunderkyss
06-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I agree with you Welsh... Do you think that's the reason we haven't brought in a better ILB? because if Sharpton would stay healthy we'd have something?

Surely there's got to be a better LB that's been around the league looking for a home who hasn't been rode hard & put up wet; ala Bradie James & Tim Dobbins...

why haven't we brung in some young guns to compete with Sharpton? Or have we (Mr. Alexander) & Sharpton was the best of the bunch?

What's up with Jasper Brinkley? Is he still looking for a job? Xavier Adibi is still out there.

Like I said, I agree with you Sharpton is a heck of a player, but he's got issues. He's a downhill player, a really good downhill player. Other than that..... eh... then there's the health. Surely there's a better option out there.

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree with you Welsh... Do you think that's the reason we haven't brought in a better ILB? because if Sharpton would stay healthy we'd have something?

Surely there's got to be a better LB that's been around the league looking for a home who hasn't been rode hard & put up wet; ala Bradie James & Tim Dobbins...

why haven't we brung in some young guns to compete with Sharpton? Or have we (Mr. Alexander) & Sharpton was the best of the bunch?

What's up with Jasper Brinkley? Is he still looking for a job? Xavier Adibi is still out there.

Like I said, I agree with you Sharpton is a heck of a player, but he's got issues. He's a downhill player, a really good downhill player. Other than that..... eh... then there's the health. Surely there's a better option out there.

I share your concerns. Adibi is still out there. But he also has had the same problem as Sharpton.......always injured (same as when he was with us). Last year, he was used by the Tacks only on STs. He was playing with a bum knee the last couple of months of the season, but only managed a couple of tackles during the whole season.

Maybe, they're waiting for some players to be release later.

The Pencil Neck
06-09-2013, 04:25 PM
I share your concerns. Adibi is still out there. But he also has had the same problem as Sharpton.......always injured (same as when he was with us). Last year, he was used by the Tacks only on STs. He was playing with a bum knee the last couple of months of the season, but only managed a couple of tackles during the whole season.

Maybe, they're waiting for some players to be release later.

Wasn't Adibi an OLB? Did he get shifted inside at some point by someone?

Right now, Larry Grant from the Niners is still a possibility but so is Bradie James and Barret Ruud, for that matter. Grant's 28, James is 32, and Ruud is 30. At least James and Ruud know the D. Other than that, we've got the dregs like Mister Alexander and Nading.

And then there's UDFA Ja'Gared Davis from SMU. Exactly.

I think we're seriously looking at Cush, Sharpton, Reed as a sort of odd rotation with Reed probably bouncing inside in certain schemes. I would have put Dobbins in the list but I don't understand why he skipped all the voluntary workouts. That has me worried.

CloakNNNdagger
06-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Wasn't Adibi an OLB? Did he get shifted inside at some point by someone?

Right now, Larry Grant from the Niners is still a possibility but so is Bradie James and Barret Ruud, for that matter. Grant's 28, James is 32, and Ruud is 30. At least James and Ruud know the D. Other than that, we've got the dregs like Mister Alexander and Nading.

And then there's UDFA Ja'Gared Davis from SMU. Exactly.

I think we're seriously looking at Cush, Sharpton, Reed as a sort of odd rotation with Reed probably bouncing inside in certain schemes. I would have put Dobbins in the list but I don't understand why he skipped all the voluntary workouts. That has me worried.

Adibi was an ILB throughout college and was a backup ILB for us.

I heard Dobbin's agent being interviewed. He said that Dobbins was building a large home and was his own contractor. Since he is a veteran and has been told that he will play STs and only backup the LB position, he felt that there was no problem missing "voluntary" OTAs in that he knew what was expected of his position. He said that Kubiak knew all of this. Seems like Kubiak may have contributed to this "controversy" by coming across clueless. It bothers me even from especially a STs standpoint. After last years' poor showing, whatever the reason, being STs captain, continuity along with mentoring the others especially the rookies, would have been in order. And with the question marks at LB, ............I don't even think I need to comment..........

ObsiWan
06-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Adibi was an ILB throughout college and was a backup ILB for us.

I heard Dobbin's agent being interviewed. He said that Dobbins was building a large home and was his own contractor. Since he is a veteran and has been told that he will play STs and only backup the LB position, he felt that there was no problem missing "voluntary" OTAs in that he knew what was expected of his position. He said that Kubiak knew all of this. Seems like Kubiak may have contributed to this "controversy" by coming across clueless. It bothers me even from especially a STs standpoint. After last years' poor showing, whatever the reason, being STs captain, continuity along with mentoring the others especially the rookies, would have been in order. And with the question marks at LB, ............I don't even think I need to comment..........

With Brooks Reed being "experimented" at ILB, could it have been that Wadeiak were also thinking of seeing if Dobbins had the chops to step up from ST-only/mainly status to in the ILB rotation? Could it be Dobbins missed an opportunity to be a quasi-starter at ILB??
:hmmm:

The Pencil Neck
06-09-2013, 07:07 PM
With Brooks Reed being "experimented" at ILB, could it have been that Wadeiak were also thinking of seeing if Dobbins had the chops to step up from ST-only/mainly status to in the ILB rotation? Could it be Dobbins missed an opportunity to be a quasi-starter at ILB??
:hmmm:

Just given Sharpton's health issues and Reed's lack of experience at the position, I think Dobbins really made a strategical error here.

welsh texan
06-09-2013, 08:09 PM

I'd hazard that they're happy with their top 3/4 at the position, would rather pay rookie minimum than vet minimum given the skill sets they've seen from the likes of James and Ruud, and only see the position as 2 down in our current defensive philosophy meaning that their no.3 Safety is far more important than their 3rd string backup at 2nd ILB.

You can pick up a James or Ruud type of guy off the street in a pinch and have them knowing what they need from the playbook within a couple of weeks.

The Dobbins situation doesn't impress me, its very rare that we see players on our team lacking the most basic level of commitment but Dobbins seems to have used his opportunity to stand still (hopefully) rather than to attempt to progress. Kubes is pretty angry to hang him out to dry so subtly like that I'd guess.

DocBar
06-09-2013, 10:18 PM

I'm sure it's going to depend on who they feel earns a starting spot. Sharpton, Braman, or Montgomery.I would expect to see Braman starting at SLB and Reed moving inside to start the season. Braman should have a much better grasp of the defense than either Montgomery or Williams. One of those two might have more upside and potential, but they lack the experience. Braman also seems to have the speed and skills to play in space and do ok in coverage.

I've been a Sharpton fan, but he's been injured so dang much I'm having a hard time putting any faith in him to last a whole season. He doesn't seem to get nicked up. He has major injuries when he has them.

HOU-TEX
06-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Personally, I never thought Sharpton was all that impressive when he was healthy. Maybe it's due to being injured every year, but I saw poor instincts in both the run and pass game.

Either way, if we're counting on Dobbins and Sharpton again....we're in deep doodoo. Been there, done it and didn't like it

DocBar
06-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Personally, I never thought Sharpton was all that impressive when he was healthy. Maybe it's due to being injured every year, but I saw poor instincts in both the run and pass game.

Either way, if we're counting on Dobbins and Sharpton again....we're in deep doodoo. Been there, done it and didn't like it I thought Sharpton flashed potential when healthy.

deucetx
06-10-2013, 01:31 PM

Either way, if we're counting on Dobbins and Sharpton again....we're in deep doodoo. Been there, done it and didn't like it

Pretty much my feelings. Maybe Sharpton has something we just haven't seen yet but we've seen so far hasn't been impressive. He is really no different than Dobbins except he can rush a passer better. Coverage wise he actually was worse than Dobbins (who wasn't that great himself) so it's just a big....eh. Hopefully someone can stay healthy this year but this is definitely one shaky bunch.

b0ng
06-11-2013, 12:23 PM
I thought Sharpton flashed potential when healthy.

For what it's worth (not much) this was my thought as well. I guess we'll see if he makes it out of TC healthy, and whether they keep him on the final 53.

_King_
01-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Reverend sharpton was just on the radio and he basically said he doesn't know who the hell this guy is.

ObsiWan
01-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Reverend sharpton was just on the radio and he basically said he doesn't know who the hell this guy is.
If that was the interview where Travis Johnson called him over to the 610 booth then I believe that was Rev. Jesse Jackson, not Al Sharpton. ...?

oooh, 11,000 posts... cool.

_King_
01-30-2014, 05:56 PM
If that was the interview where Travis Johnson called him over to the 610 booth then I believe that was Rev. Jesse Jackson, not Al Sharpton. ...?

It was al sharpton.

Travis was messing up calling him Jessie sharpton. Rich corrected him and said al sharpton.

Then he said he got bad info from someone in his ear that al was Daryl's uncle.

I read somewhere else that wasn't even accurate. That he was supposedly his 1st cousins' son.

Anyways he acted like he didn't know who the hell daryl sharpton was.

Playoffs
01-30-2014, 11:12 PM

Which bumps Daryl up a notch in my book. :kitten:

Big Lou
01-30-2014, 11:15 PM
It was al sharpton.

Travis was messing up calling him Jessie sharpton. Rich corrected him and said al sharpton.

I read somewhere else that wasn't even accurate. That he was supposedly his 1st cousins' son.

In other Sharpton news I heard he pulled a hammy getting up for some chips and salsa while watching the AFC. Championship game, is his expected to miss the Super Bowl viewing party at his neighbors house. He hopes to be ready for the draft party though.

ChampionTexan
01-31-2014, 12:02 AM
It was al sharpton.

You've got your facts flip flopped.

Houston Texans sideline reporter Rich Lord (Sports Radio 610) interviewed Reverend Jesse Jackson on Radio Row. As they were finishing up the interview, Rich asked him if he had a nephew on the Texans Roster. He was referencing Daryl Sharpton who is related to Al Sharpton which is common knowledge in Houston but what makes it funny, Rich is the Texans Sideline Reporter.
LINK (http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/2014/01/rich-lord-confuses-jesse-jackson-with.html)

Note: The audio included in the link makes it clear that it's Jesse Jackson - not Al Sharpton - who is being interviewed.

aussie_texan
01-31-2014, 02:08 AM
In other Sharpton news I heard he pulled a hammy getting up for some chips and salsa while watching the AFC. Championship game, is his expected to miss the Super Bowl viewing party at his neighbors house. He hopes to be ready for the draft party though.

still not sure which sharpton we are talking about :kitten:

michaelm
01-31-2014, 10:30 AM
still not sure which sharpton we are talking about :kitten:

Surprisingly, I think it's the Sharpton who only missed the first game of the season and led the team in combined tackles.

infantrycak
01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Surprisingly, I think it's the Sharpton who only missed the first game of the season and led the team in combined tackles.

...and looked a lot like Jay Foreman doing it - mediocre.

michaelm
01-31-2014, 12:05 PM
...and looked a lot like Jay Foreman doing it - mediocre.

My comment was more about the fact that Sharpton actually stayed on the field, and also contributed. Both were surprising developments.
It wasn't meant as an endorsement.

TheIronDuke
01-31-2014, 12:11 PM
My comment was more about the fact that Sharpton actually stayed on the field, and also contributed. Both were surprising developments.
It wasn't meant as an endorsement.

Best LB Rick Smith has ever drafted outside of Cushing!

HJam72
01-31-2014, 03:06 PM
Best LB Rick Smith has ever drafted outside of Cushing!

OMG, Demeco Ryans is ROFL.

HOU-TEX
01-31-2014, 03:18 PM

D-Ryans was a pick that Casserly was involved with in 06. Smith-GM arrived in June of 06

JB
01-31-2014, 03:27 PM

Umm, Ryans was drafted in 06 before Rick Smith got here

infantrycak
01-31-2014, 06:44 PM
I'd say Diles in particular but along with Reed and Mercilus were all better picks than Sharpton. Some of that has been beyond Sharpton or Smith's control.

_King_
01-31-2014, 10:47 PM

You've got your facts flip flopped.

LINK (http://sheltonmedia.blogspot.com/2014/01/rich-lord-confuses-jesse-jackson-with.html)

Note: The audio included in the link makes it clear that it's Jesse Jackson - not Al Sharpton - who is being interviewed.

You were right. My bad.