PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Panthers fire Marty Hurney as general manager

Playoffs
10-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Carolina Panthers fire Marty Hurney as general manager (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/22/3614170/marty-hurney-fired-by-panthers.html)
The Carolina Panthers have fired general manager Marty Hurney, the team announced Monday morning.

Hurney has been the general manager with the team since 2002, but his seat has become hotter since the 2010 season when the Panthers went 2-14.

From 2002-2009, the Panthers had three playoff appearances, including two NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance. But since 2010, the team has had the fewest wins in the NFL with nine.

jaayteetx
10-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Cam Newton needs to man up and quit his childish mopey attitude.

thunderkyss
10-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Carolina Panthers fire Marty Hurney as general manager (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/10/22/3614170/marty-hurney-fired-by-panthers.html)

I don't follow the Panthers very much. If you guys could give me a recap, what has Hurney done that would cost him his job? Why was he not fired last year with John Fox?

The Pencil Neck
10-22-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't follow the Panthers very much. If you guys could give me a recap, what has Hurney done that would cost him his job? Why was he not fired last year with Del Rio?

Hurney -- Panthers. Del Rio -- Jaguars.

Over the past 2 seasons, I think the Panthers have the fewest wins of any team. Hurney has been the GM since 2002 and things don't seem to be getting better.

I'm not going to be surprised if Ron Rivera gets canned pretty soon.

HOU-TEX
10-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Their defense has been horrible for a while and they haven't done a whole lot to fix it. I'd expect the coaching staff to be fired no later than the end of the season.

thunderkyss
10-22-2012, 01:40 PM
Hurney -- Panthers. Del Rio -- Jaguars.

YEah, that's what I meant. Didn't they just hire Ron Rivera?

Section516
10-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Something like 80 or 90 million between a full back and two running backs..

thunderkyss
10-22-2012, 01:48 PM

& Cam is their leading rusher after 6 games....... wow.

The Pencil Neck
10-22-2012, 02:04 PM
YEah, that's what I meant. Didn't they just hire Ron Rivera?

Last year.

The Pencil Neck
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM

Yeah.

Hurney built this team for John Fox's old scheme: pound it with the running backs. When they got rid of Fox and got Rivera, I think they didn't know what they wanted to do offensive scheme-wise.

They've got these two great and talented backs and they never use them. And I think, I could be wrong, but I think their offensive line is a mess now and even if they tried to convert over to more of a run based attack, they'd be screwed.

Playoffs
10-22-2012, 02:35 PM
I don't follow the Panthers very much. If you guys could give me a recap, what has Hurney done that would cost him his job?
It was intimated that the owner, who had a heart transplant, wants to see a winner before his days are up.

Goldensilence
10-22-2012, 06:09 PM
I don't follow the Panthers but, while the team isn't in disarray, it doesn't seem to have a clear path of where it is headed.

Cam had a sensational rookie campaign, but seeing him at the podium yesterday was.....pathetic. This is the guy you've pretty much pegged as the face of the franchise and he's all..... "man, something's gotta change... I just ain't feeling this"

Hurney said the Panthers need a player to step up "and take hold like a Ray Lewis does or a Tom Brady does."

He was asked if quarterback Cam Newton is one of the players that needs to step up.

"I think he's certainly capable. This isn't an indictment on any player. I think leadership in the locker room is one of the most underrated things in this league because the talent level is so even."

Per ESPN
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8536687/marty-hurney-carolina-panthers-gm-fired-team-starts-1-5

To me looks like Hurney was this year's early scapegoat and it things don't pick up fair or not it's likely Ron Rivera can be on the chopping board next.

infantrycak
10-22-2012, 10:24 PM
I can't believe ProFootballTalk is already talking about whether Carolina should give up on Cam Newton.

When the Panthers hire a new General Manager, he’ll have some tough decisions to make.

The biggest ones will relate to quarterback Cam Newton.

The first: Should the Panthers keep him?

The second, if yes on the first: What will be done to properly support him?

I am not suggesting anything for the Texans but as a theoretical exercise I wonder what Kubiak would design for Cam Newton.

Showtime100
10-22-2012, 11:43 PM
I can't believe ProFootballTalk is already talking about whether Carolina should give up on Cam Newton.

I am not suggesting anything for the Texans but as a theoretical exercise I wonder what Kubiak would design for Cam Newton.

Well, I hear he does a great play action on 3rd and 18. :D

After seeing post-game after post-game with his mopey attitude I wonder what he's like in a private lockerroom. It's one thing to be frustrated, but he has crossed a line or two when giving those post-games.

I'm very interested, but with questions.

Showtime100
10-22-2012, 11:44 PM

Well, I hear he does a great delayed run on 3rd and 18. :D

After seeing post-game after post-game with his mopey attitude I wonder what he's like in a private lockerroom. It's one thing to be frustrated, but he has crossed a line or two when giving those post-games.

I'm very interested, but with questions.

Playoffs
10-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah, those guys are id!ots over there.

Hervoyel
10-23-2012, 08:50 AM
This job (The HC gig) will end up being offered to Wade Phillips (among others). Just my prediction.