PDA

View Full Version : In Depth Look at the Barwin Safety Play.

Brandon420tx
10-22-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm going to start by saying NFL Rewind kicks ass.

Anyways I was re-watching the game, when I noticed something interesting on the sack safety play.

I remember in the gameday thread someone talking about how the Guard was always move before the snap and why wasn't there a false start called on him all game long. The answer to that is the Guard is allowed to tap the center in shotgun formations before getting "set". This allows the Center to prepare to long snap without having to look between his legs to see if the QB is ready. This prevents possible injury to the Center, and allows him to watch the D better before the snap, it's also a staple of the hurry up offense.

This is key to this play, and the person who makes this play is Antonio Smith.

If you rewatch the play you'll see the Center and the Oline calling out potential blitzers and having people set up their blitz pickup. The Guard then taps the center. AS SOON AS this happens, Antonio Smith shifts to the right and completely throws the entire offensive line out of it. The left guard was supposed to shoot outside and take Barwin, but instead gets swallowed up by Antonio Smith.
Mercilus and Watt Run a stunt, with the RG having his hands full with Watt the RT tries to follow Mercilus but Watt gets in the way (Watt also jumps into the air and you can see the RG and RT freak out).
The center who was the most confused by A. Smith's shift barely touches Mercilus as he rushing in through the center and he would have had the sack if Barwin didn't.
On the pre-snap read, you can see the Center pick out Bradie James, I'm pretty sure he called for the RT to pick him up because it looks Barwin is going into coverage (judged by him walking behind 53 pre snap, but Barwin moves back after the Center Tap) James however runs a stunt with A. Smith and the LT tries to follow him inside letting Barwin sneak past him.

Basically the pre-snap tap allowed the Texans to show one look to the offense and then drastically change it in that one second interval before the center snapped the ball, resulting in confusion and victory. A. Smith pretty much takes out the entire left side of the line and left the center in lala land.

Hopefully 76Texan can contribute some pictures.

Corrosion
10-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I believe they brought 8 on that one .... with only Nolan , Jackson and Joseph in coverage ... Big gamble that paid off.

Brandon420tx
10-22-2012, 11:10 AM
They only brought 6, Theres 7 along the line at the start of the play and Quinn breaks off and follows one of the bunched receivers over the middle. The Other 6 rushed. 1 safety stayed deep and it looked like the other 4 went man. One of the receivers that went over the middle was wide open though but Flacco would have needed another second to throw him into space as Quinn was in the throwing lane as he followed his man

76Texan
10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
They only brought 6, Theres 7 along the line at the start of the play and Quinn breaks off and follows one of the bunched receivers over the middle. The Other 6 rushed. 1 safety stayed deep and it looked like the other 4 went man. One of the receivers that went over the middle was wide open though but Flacco would have needed another second to throw him into space as Quinn was in the throwing lane as he followed his man

Very nice recap of the play!

I tried to take screen shots, but somehow the program keeps freezing up at that point.

I think the Packers got to us one time last week with Clay moving quickly from the outside into the middle just before the snap.

BullPenPhotos
10-22-2012, 05:02 PM
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Season/2012-10-21-Ravens-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0336.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Season/2012-10-21-Ravens-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0337.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Season/2012-10-21-Ravens-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0338.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Season/2012-10-21-Ravens-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0339.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Season/2012-10-21-Ravens-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0340.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Season/2012-10-21-Ravens-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0342.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/12photogallery/Season/2012-10-21-Ravens-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0343.JPG

infantrycak
10-22-2012, 08:15 PM
On the radio this evening Wade said this was a play and response to a formation they spotted last year. They almost got a sack on it then and adjusted it a bit for this year.

Dutchrudder
10-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Now with motion!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/RavensBarwinSafety1.gif

SCOTTexans
10-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Now with motion!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/RavensBarwinSafety1.gif

Man he had some momentum going....

76Texan
10-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Dutch.

Notice also that Watt took on the double-team so that Mercilus can stunt inside.
This angle didn't show it, but the Center did try to hold off Mercilus, but he was too quick.
If Barwin didn't get to Flacco, Mercilus would have.
And that would be just before Manning pushed Rice into the QB.

We scheduled a meeting there in their end zone. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

76Texan
10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
On the radio this evening Wade said this was a play and response to a formation they spotted last year. They almost got a sack on it then and adjusted it a bit for this year.

That's good to know.

Corrosion
10-22-2012, 11:40 PM
edit

76Texan
10-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Corrosion, we blitzed six:

From our left to right:
Manning, Mercilus, Watt, Smith, James, Barwin (before snap)

With the RB staying to block, they had 4 route runners.
We covered them with KJ, Quin, McCain, and JJo and Nolan at middle deep safety.

Premier
10-23-2012, 06:32 AM
looks like flacco pump fakes to get watt to bite, might have bought an extra second for barwin to get there.. watt making an impact by just being on the field.... one of those situations where rodgers would have let it fly and ended up with a 95 yard TD..

GP
10-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Now with motion!

There was nothing on that play that was gonna' happen except a sack in the end zone.

1. Rice took Manning, which left Barwin unopposed on the opposite side.

2. Their RG chose to double team Watt alongside his RT, which opened up a massive gap that Mercilus was stunting through.

3. Either Manning, Mercilus, or Barwin was going to get the sack there.

Wade Phillips is masterful. It's almost an art form.

GP
10-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Corrosion, we blitzed six:

From our left to right:
Manning, Mercilus, Watt, Smith, James, Barwin (before snap)

With the RB staying to block, they had 4 route runners.
We covered them with KJ, Quin, McCain, and JJo and Nolan at middle deep safety.

Wrong. James was playing a spy or containing the middle of the pocket. He makes contact with the LT at the snap, and then backs off...free'ing up Barwin. The LT got screwed on that play because he essentially had to choose between Barwin or James at the snap. James shoves, then backs up and runs to the middle, and IMO was only drawing that contact in order to get Barwin free'd up on the edge. James was a good 7 yards back of Flacco... I won't dispute that James was applying pressure, but to say he was blitzing? The other 5 were blitzing, James was cleaning up anything that escaped that mouse trap.

We blitzed FIVE. Not six. James was not blitzing, he was reacting to the pocket collapsing and was there to clean up Flacco if he tried to rush up the middle to escape our FIVE blitzers on that play.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Wrong. James was playing a spy or containing the middle of the pocket. He makes contact with the LT at the snap, and then backs off...free'ing up Barwin. The LT got screwed on that play because he essentially had to choose between Barwin or James at the snap. James shoves, then backs up and runs to the middle, and IMO was only drawing that contact in order to get Barwin free'd up on the edge. James was a good 7 yards back of Flacco... I won't dispute that James was applying pressure, but to say he was blitzing? The other 5 were blitzing, James was cleaning up anything that escaped that mouse trap.

We blitzed FIVE. Not six. James was not blitzing, he was reacting to the pocket collapsing and was there to clean up Flacco if he tried to rush up the middle to escape our FIVE blitzers on that play.

A Player (James) who engages an O-lineman on a blitz to free up another defender is part of the blitz.

That should be a pretty simple concept.

Ortherwise, you could say that Watt simply slanted to the inside and just stood there to contain in case Flacco escape from the pocket.

Or you could say that Smith only moved over just before the snap to create confusion in the blocking scheme, forcing the Guard to him on, and therefore leaving the LT with the impossible task of deciding who to take on between James and Barwin.

The truth of the matter is that if the protection called for the LT to take on Barwin, James would have come straight in and feast on Flacco.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Also, there's no need to contain the middle since Smith and Mercilus were blitzing the weak and strong side A gap respectively.

Watt was blitzing the strong side B gap; therefore, the only interior gap left is the weakside B gap and it's only makes sense that James was going for that gap.

GP
10-23-2012, 09:16 AM
A Player (James) who engages an O-lineman on a blitz to free up another defender is part of the blitz.

That should be a pretty simple concept.

Ortherwise, you could say that Watt simply slanted to the inside and just stood there to contain in case Flacco escape from the pocket.

Or you could say that Smith only moved over just before the snap to create confusion in the blocking scheme, forcing the Guard to him on, and therefore leaving the LT with the impossible task of deciding who to take on between James and Barwin.

The truth of the matter is that if the protection called for the LT to take on Barwin, James would have come straight in and feast on Flacco.

Everyone immediately rushes but James. James patty-cakes, shuffles a bit, then starts filling a gap where a guy like Rice or Flacco might seek refuge from the storm.

And if you're Wade Phillips, you know what you and I know: Bradie James is not your best option to get to the QB. Instead, use James to draw contact, which then allows a guy like Barwin who IS a much better option (hell, that's really supposed to be his entire job description, tbh) to get after the QB on pass plays.

Just because James is moving upfield does not mean he has become a blitzer. I don't think we have to use upfield movement to say he's "blitzing the QB." From that animated GIF, when I watch it over and over, James is not a 6th blitzer there. 5 true blitzers and a spy/contain guy to mop up what's left over IF things spill on aisle 9.

Bradie James' knock, from Cowboys fans, was that he's slow. Has a great mind for the game, gets the guys in sync out there (like DeMeco did) but let's not be under any illusions that Bradie James is being utilized by Wade this season as a blitzer at the QB. On that play, I just don't see Bradie James having a role of getting to the QB. We had five guys and confused the hell out of them...and James drew attention that got Barwin the green light.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 09:19 AM
There are a couple of instances where I think Wade might drop a defender back, but neither was the case here.

1. On a blitz and peel, the WILB (James) and the WOLB (Barwin) - depending on the play called - could peel to follow the RB since he was the only offensive thread not cover by any defender. Wade might assign the WILL to spy on the RB; however, as soon as this ILB recognized that the RB stayed back to block, he should continue on with the blitz.

2. Wade could drop on of the LBs into the short hole to help defending any shallow cross that the offense might run as a hot to avoid the blitz.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 09:22 AM
And why did I come up with these ideas, GP?

I had studied Wade's playbook (not a complete one, mind you) and learned many of his blitzing schemes.

Dutchrudder
10-23-2012, 09:24 AM
I just think it's awesome that the Ravens give up a safety early to us, give up a TD on the following drive, and then never come close to being in the game again; but when the Texans did something similar against the Broncos, they were able to fight their way out of the hole, and maintain the lead through the end of the game against a far superior QB. That thought just makes me feel good inside.

GP
10-23-2012, 09:57 AM
There are a couple of instances where I think Wade might drop a defender back, but neither was the case here.

1. On a blitz and peel, the WILB (James) and the WOLB (Barwin) - depending on the play called - could peel to follow the RB since he was the only offensive thread not cover by any defender. Wade might assign the WILL to spy on the RB; however, as soon as this ILB recognized that the RB stayed back to block, he should continue on with the blitz.

2. Wade could drop on of the LBs into the short hole to help defending any shallow cross that the offense might run as a hot to avoid the blitz.

That's echoing my theory, and I have no access to your resources...nor the time to do so. Just using my eyeballs on that GIF video clip, you can see that 5 of the 6 guys at the LOS are all-out blitzing and James is not.

I won't sit here and say he's not moving upfield. He is. But his initial action at the snap, coupled with his lack of urgency to get to Flacco, tell me he was not a blitzer in the same capacity as the other 5 guys were.

Maybe that's picking nits, I dunno, I'm just saying that I don't personally think James was rushing the QB like the other 5 guys were. Nor should he in most cases, not with his shortcomings in that area. We have the horses elsewhere to get that cart to market.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
That's echoing my theory, and I have no access to your resources...nor the time to do so. Just using my eyeballs on that GIF video clip, you can see that 5 of the 6 guys at the LOS are all-out blitzing and James is not.

I won't sit here and say he's not moving upfield. He is. But his initial action at the snap, coupled with his lack of urgency to get to Flacco, tell me he was not a blitzer in the same capacity as the other 5 guys were.

Maybe that's picking nits, I dunno, I'm just saying that I don't personally think James was rushing the QB like the other 5 guys were. Nor should he in most cases, not with his shortcomings in that area. We have the horses elsewhere to get that cart to market.

I really think you're nitpicking, GP.

A defender that engages a blocker on a blitz is a blitzer; there's no way around it.

Whether he's an effective blitzer is another matter.

GP
10-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I really think you're nitpicking, GP.

A defender that engages a blocker on a blitz is a blitzer; there's no way around it.

Whether he's an effective blitzer is another matter.

So in the BLITZKRIEG of WWII, a Nazi film/photography plane is a blitzer because he's alongside the bombers who are doing the real blitzing?

I think there's room for gray area here. When I think of the word "blitz" I think of an all-out attack to get to the QB. Had James come on a true delayed blitz, I would say he's a blitzer. But engaging his guy, shuffling and then half-ass moving into the middle of the pocket's void was not a blitz in the sense I envision it when we talk about "blitzing."

5 guys immediately move upfield and 1 guy (James) didn't, and truth be told he was roaming that pocket void looking for collateral targets should there be any.

Moving into that fun area of neither of us yielding ground on the issue. I've made my statements, you yours. Just adding to the conversation here.

dsorc
10-23-2012, 10:50 AM
To me it looked a symmetrical play. You have a LB/DT stunt with an overload outside blitz. On both sides the OT/OG ended up double-teaming the DT (Smith and Watt). Mercilus hit the inside A-gap faster than James but the OC whiffed there. The RB picked up Manning but that still left Barwin untouched. The OL just didn't make the right protection calls.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 10:54 AM
So in the BLITZKRIEG of WWII, a Nazi film/photography plane is a blitzer because he's alongside the bombers who are doing the real blitzing?

I think there's room for gray area here. When I think of the word "blitz" I think of an all-out attack to get to the QB. Had James come on a true delayed blitz, I would say he's a blitzer. But engaging his guy, shuffling and then half-ass moving into the middle of the pocket's void was not a blitz in the sense I envision it when we talk about "blitzing."

5 guys immediately move upfield and 1 guy (James) didn't, and truth be told he was roaming that pocket void looking for collateral targets should there be any.

Moving into that fun area of neither of us yielding ground on the issue. I've made my statements, you yours. Just adding to the conversation here.

When a DC draw up a blitz, each of the guys has his assignment.
No matter how uninspiring the role is, they are all blitzers.

It really depends on how the protection call is.

In this case, the LT took on James and left Barwin free.

You're dreaming if you think that even if the LT had taken on Barwin, James would simply stand there feeling the cool air and then nonchalantly waltz into the middle (where Mercilus and Smith already controlled) to contain an imaginary offensive player that will never come.

Now you can call James a "secondary" blitzer and I would not have any problem with that.

When we called this blitz, we didn't know for sure what the Ravens were going to do.
It makes the most sense in this situation to have the WILB (James) in a blitz and peel situation.

If they send Rice to their left flat, James would follow him (then Manning would be completely free while the LT came back and try to block Barwin.)

If they hand the ball to Rice, James would make the read and try to stop the run.
In this case, it's a run blitz.
James contains the weakside B gap first, and then works to flow to the runner.

If Rice continues on his path to the right flat, leaving Manning completely free, James would also follow him.
Still, James engaged the LT to give Barin time to zero in.

Anyway you look at it, James was a BIG part of the blitz package.
He has to play a good role there to spring a guy free.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 11:02 AM
To me it looked a symmetrical play. You have a LB/DT stunt with an overload outside blitz. On both sides the OT/OG ended up double-teaming the DT (Smith and Watt). Mercilus hit the inside A-gap faster than James but the OC whiffed there. The RB picked up Manning but that still left Barwin untouched. The OL just didn't make the right protection calls.

It's not symmetrical, but the concept is right there.
On the weakside, Smith forced the C and LG on a double team; the LT was working on James.

I agree that it does make sense for a delayed blitz by James through one of the A gaps, as the Center came back but didn't quite connect on Mercilus.

Let's say the C was able to get off Smith to hold off Mercilus a little better, and that the LT was able to come back to Barwin somehow; James would be free on that delayed blitz through the middle.

TimeKiller
10-23-2012, 11:09 AM
I think James was on Rice, this was a man coverage. Flacco spotted Manning and Quin on the far right, knew at least one of them was coming and told Rice who is on his left to come back to Flacco's right to block the safety blitz thinking that either James or likely Barwin would drop into coverage. James, seeing that Rice is not going out as a receiver, engages the LT momentarily who had to choose between letting Barwin or James free since Rice had given up his position to go block the safety blitz. James is just reading on Rice's actions. Since Rice helps blocking, James is allowed to engage/blitz/spy whatever you want to call it. Ninja forces LG to block and since the call was likely for the OC to block Smith, LG to help either side, the OC is stuck looking at the wrong guy...which allows Mercilus a free run up the middle as he twists from the strong side, no way the OC could've expected that guy to come from there or that fast (Mercilus is quick!) JJ Watt draws a double and jumps at the only shot at a completion, he knew he was getting it, he knew he had 3 receivers to his side.....smart footballer right there. Manning eats up Rice's block or he likely would've been the one converting the safety.

However you want to explain it, drawing up a 5 (6 with James' read/react blitz) man blitz and having 3 guys come free and clear for a sack/safety is KILLING it. Like dumbest luck of all time. Or a masterful stroke of genius. It was so badass, even Connor Barwin got a sack!!!

Alright that was mean lol....

76Texan
10-23-2012, 11:16 AM
I think James was on Rice, this was a man coverage. Flacco spotted Manning and Quin on the far right, knew at least one of them was coming and told Rice who is on his left to come back to Flacco's right to block the safety blitz thinking that either James or likely Barwin would drop into coverage. James, seeing that Rice is not going out as a receiver, engages the LT momentarily who had to choose between letting Barwin or James free since Rice had given up his position to go block the safety blitz. James is just reading on Rice's actions. Since Rice helps blocking, James is allowed to engage/blitz/spy whatever you want to call it. Ninja forces LG to block and since the call was likely for the OC to block Smith, LG to help either side, the OC is stuck looking at the wrong guy...which allows Mercilus a free run up the middle as he twists from the strong side, no way the OC could've expected that guy to come from there or that fast (Mercilus is quick!) JJ Watt draws a double and jumps at the only shot at a completion, he knew he was getting it, he knew he had 3 receivers to his side.....smart footballer right there. Manning eats up Rice's block or he likely would've been the one converting the safety.

However you want to explain it, drawing up a 5 (6 with James' read/react blitz) man blitz and having 3 guys come free and clear for a sack/safety is KILLING it. Like dumbest luck of all time. Or a masterful stroke of genius. It was so badass, even Connor Barwin got a sack!!!

Alright that was mean lol....

And that goes back to what I said: the concept of Blitz and Peel.

disaacks3
10-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Now with motion!

Hard to avoid that one. Snap at 4:55, going down by 4:53. Nobody open enough to throw to without risk of a pick 6.

TimeKiller
10-23-2012, 11:35 AM
“(Danieal Manning is) a great leader. He was the Cushing of the secondary. He’s just all over the field. He’s able to make plays nobody else can make just because he can run so fast and he’s so athletic. He’s a blitzer. Part of (Connor) Barwin’s sack (of Joe Flacco for a safety on Sunday) is (Manning) was blitzing, so the back didn’t know who to pick up. So he went over and picked him up.”

From another thread. Pretty much what I described, not to toot my own horn too loudly....

76Texan
10-23-2012, 11:51 AM
“(Danieal Manning is) a great leader. He was the Cushing of the secondary. He’s just all over the field. He’s able to make plays nobody else can make just because he can run so fast and he’s so athletic. He’s a blitzer. Part of (Connor) Barwin’s sack (of Joe Flacco for a safety on Sunday) is (Manning) was blitzing, so the back didn’t know who to pick up. So he went over and picked him up.”

From another thread. Pretty much what I described, not to toot my own horn too loudly....

http://theburnerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/horn-tooting.jpg

HOU-TEX
10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Now with motion!

LOL. Watch James do a little hop right when the sack occurs. He's looping around and gives a little giddy-up.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 12:05 PM
LOL. Watch James do a little hop right when the sack occurs. He's looping around and gives a little giddy-up.

You don't say!

The Dutch stopped the gif a bit too early; James was doing the safety celebration right after that, before any of our guys did.

He got the best seat in the house!

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2012, 12:07 PM
I just think it's awesome that the Ravens give up a safety early to us, give up a TD on the following drive, and then never come close to being in the game again; but when the Texans did something similar against the Broncos, they were able to fight their way out of the hole, and maintain the lead through the end of the game against a far superior QB. That thought just makes me feel good inside.

Excellent point.

MSR.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Excellent point.

MSR.

We just have a very solid team across the board (and pretty good depth overall), except for ST.

Despite subpar ST play, we've been able to control - for the most part - the TOP and many key defensive areas. You have to be good on both sides of the ball, and that include the line as well the other units to be that consistent.

If you look at all the sites that dedicate to stats and combine them altogether, we're ahead of the league, especially in the consistency.

We're doing a lot of good things to win football games, and we're able to do it in several different ways.

Dutchrudder
10-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Eh, I have to cut the gifs off somewhere, or sacrifice quality. There's a delicate balance between size of the gif, the length, number of frames and the color quality. I would have left in his celebration too, but that just makes it too big. So here it is:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/BarwinShot.gif

TimeKiller
10-23-2012, 02:47 PM
http://theburnerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/horn-tooting.jpg

haha...

Cushing is the master of the delay blitz/blitz and peel/read and react/whatever you want to call it. It's all about forcing would-be targets into protection. He recognizes that very quickly and has the speed to either sideline to counter against anyone actually squeaking out of the collapsing pocket while giving the illusion both in motion and presnap of bringing extra pressure.

Really interesting front here, should be the focal point of the discussion. 7 man front including 2 safeties on the line. looks like KJ, JJo and McCain playing middle and I'm either missing a guy or there's a safety deep too. That's bringing some serious heat, Flacco knew it and tried the best he could to set up protections. Doubling Watt was a mistake, leaving one blitzer free. LT going after James instead of Barwin was 2nd, another free and clear blitzer and finally Mercilus slipping by a distracted OC due to the assassin's move. NFL lines don't usually get worked like that. That blitz was genius on ice.

76Texan
10-23-2012, 02:58 PM
haha...

Cushing is the master of the delay blitz/blitz and peel/read and react/whatever you want to call it. It's all about forcing would-be targets into protection. He recognizes that very quickly and has the speed to either sideline to counter against anyone actually squeaking out of the collapsing pocket while giving the illusion both in motion and presnap of bringing extra pressure.

Really interesting front here, should be the focal point of the discussion. 7 man front including 2 safeties on the line. looks like KJ, JJo and McCain playing middle and I'm either missing a guy or there's a safety deep too. That's bringing some serious heat, Flacco knew it and tried the best he could to set up protections. Doubling Watt was a mistake, leaving one blitzer free. LT going after James instead of Barwin was 2nd, another free and clear blitzer and finally Mercilus slipping by a distracted OC due to the assassin's move. NFL lines don't usually get worked like that. That blitz was genius on ice.Yeah, and guess what

This is the 46 look I talked about when everybody was going gaga about how the Packers exploited our dime package.

We do what we do in our dime package; this time it works.

BTW, you didn't read one of my earlier posts, Nolan was the deep safety.

Exascor
10-23-2012, 03:23 PM
That's echoing my theory, and I have no access to your resources...nor the time to do so.Well if you find the time and can understand it, here's a link to Phillips 2003 playbook. I admit most of it goes way over my head. I really haven't spent much time reading it though.

http://www.footballxos.com/free-football-playbooks/defense/pro-defenses/

76Texan
10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Well if you find the time and can understand it, here's a link to Phillips 2003 playbook. I admit most of it goes way over my head. I really haven't spent much time reading it though.

http://www.footballxos.com/free-football-playbooks/defense/pro-defenses/

There's also Buddy Ryan's (and his sons) defensive playbook out there on the 46 look.

There are similar 34 playbooks out there from different coaches if you really want to learn it.

I swear when I first started, my mind was exploding, but I kept at it, a little here and there, a little here and there.

I'm still learning a lot.

Titans Sux 72
10-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks, Dutch.

Notice also that Watt took on the double-team so that Mercilus can stunt inside.
This angle didn't show it, but the Center did try to hold off Mercilus, but he was too quick.
If Barwin didn't get to Flacco, Mercilus would have.
And that would be just before Manning pushed Rice into the QB.

We scheduled a meeting there in their end zone. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Thats the first thing I noticed also. How quick Merci is that is. Its very refreshing having Merci in the wings.

Corrosion
10-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Thats the first thing I noticed also. How quick Merci is that is. Its very refreshing having Merci in the wings.

That gives them the option to move Reed inside .... getting all their best guy's on the field at the same time.

GP
10-23-2012, 05:37 PM
When a DC draw up a blitz, each of the guys has his assignment.
No matter how uninspiring the role is, they are all blitzers.

It really depends on how the protection call is.

In this case, the LT took on James and left Barwin free.

You're dreaming if you think that even if the LT had taken on Barwin, James would simply stand there feeling the cool air and then nonchalantly waltz into the middle (where Mercilus and Smith already controlled) to contain an imaginary offensive player that will never come.

Now you can call James a "secondary" blitzer and I would not have any problem with that.

When we called this blitz, we didn't know for sure what the Ravens were going to do.
It makes the most sense in this situation to have the WILB (James) in a blitz and peel situation.

If they send Rice to their left flat, James would follow him (then Manning would be completely free while the LT came back and try to block Barwin.)

If they hand the ball to Rice, James would make the read and try to stop the run.
In this case, it's a run blitz.
James contains the weakside B gap first, and then works to flow to the runner.

If Rice continues on his path to the right flat, leaving Manning completely free, James would also follow him.
Still, James engaged the LT to give Barin time to zero in.

Anyway you look at it, James was a BIG part of the blitz package.
He has to play a good role there to spring a guy free.

I'm betting that as smart as you are, Bradie James is even that much smarter than you. And so therefore, as I have been trying to say, James saw the scenario before the snap. He sees Rice on his side, but knows Manning is coming from the opposite side which means Rice has to choose between Barwin or Manning.

So you see, 76, Bradie knows full well that he isn't going to have to do much more than stunt to the middle after having engaged (peeled, for those who are well-versed in defensive guru speak) the LT which gave Barwin the green light.

Bradie James knew the Ravens were screwed before the snap of the football. All he had to do is take care of the LT. There's not a doubt in my creative, perception-is-reality imagination that Bradie James sole purposes on that play was to bait the LT and then stunt to the middle for mop-up duty if Flacco got away somehow.

You're Bradie James and you know what your role is: Get the call from Wade, relay it to the guys, get them set up nicely, shift them if necessary based on what your see at the LOS pre-snap, and then fill in as needed. To me, that's not Bradie James "blitzing," that's Bradie James doing an unsung job that got any of those 5 blitzers a chance to be the hero.

Double Barrel
10-23-2012, 05:53 PM

Blitzkrieg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg)- all-motorised force concentration of tanks, infantry, artillery, combat engineers and air power, concentrating overwhelming force at high speed to break through enemy lines, and, once the lines are broken, proceeding without regard to its flank. Through constant motion, the blitzkrieg attempts to keep its enemy off-balance, making it difficult to respond effectively at any given point before the front has already moved on.

Based upon this definition - note the blue .

Now look at the definition of blitz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitz_(American_football)) for football:

Linebackers are either blitzing or in pass coverage. Blitzing LBs can employ various stunts to confuse the offense's blockers and break down their protection scheme. Coverage LBs in a Cover 1 scheme will usually have man responsibility on a halfback, fullback, or tight end.

Some defensive schemes employ "key" blitzes where a player will blitz only if his assigned man stays in to block, thus keying his action off the action of his man.

James was also a blitzer based upon the classic definition of a blitz package. He was not in coverage, but was assigned a duty and would have been rushing the QB if the LT picked up Barwin. Decisions are made at the split-second point of reacting to who the offensive line is going to block.

GP
10-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I know he and Merci were both stunting. I appreciate the conversation, DB.

Watch that animated GIF over and over, each time you watch it please watch Manning the first time. Then the second time, watch the next player. The next player after that. End up with James as the last guy you watch out of those 6.

And tell me if you think he was really, honest-to-goodness "blitzing" right there. Merci was. Watt was. Manning was. Barwin was. Etc., etc. But when I watch and re-watch that GIF clip, I don't see James as blitzer...hence my assertion that just because he's moving upfield doesn't lock him into being the quintessential definition of a "blitzer." Merci is blasting off 100% on his stunt, I see way too much hesitation on James' behalf and I therefore say he's setting up the LT for Barwin's benefit. In fact, it could be argued that James is moving into the LT just in case the LT decided to take on Barwin at the snap. LT takes James, so James patty-cakes then stunts around to contain the middle--James is chopping his feet at the snap, that's not a blitz move to me...that's an "I'm punking the LT" move right there.

Again, it really seems like James didn't have as much duty as a blitzer as being said by many here.

Anyways, that's my look at it.

SteveSlaton20
10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
another reason why barwin got the sack is because joe flacco was looking to his left the entire time and JJ Watt jumped up to block the ball, so any chance of getting a first down for flacco was all gone there...

76Texan
10-23-2012, 09:19 PM
I know he and Merci were both stunting. I appreciate the conversation, DB.

Watch that animated GIF over and over, each time you watch it please watch Manning the first time. Then the second time, watch the next player. The next player after that. End up with James as the last guy you watch out of those 6.

And tell me if you think he was really, honest-to-goodness "blitzing" right there. Merci was. Watt was. Manning was. Barwin was. Etc., etc. But when I watch and re-watch that GIF clip, I don't see James as blitzer...hence my assertion that just because he's moving upfield doesn't lock him into being the quintessential definition of a "blitzer." Merci is blasting off 100% on his stunt, I see way too much hesitation on James' behalf and I therefore say he's setting up the LT for Barwin's benefit. In fact, it could be argued that James is moving into the LT just in case the LT decided to take on Barwin at the snap. LT takes James, so James patty-cakes then stunts around to contain the middle--James is chopping his feet at the snap, that's not a blitz move to me...that's an "I'm punking the LT" move right there.

Again, it really seems like James didn't have as much duty as a blitzer as being said by many here.

Anyways, that's my look at it.

I really don't know what to say.
Just take your own definition and run with it I guess.

Color your world!:goodluck:

The Pencil Neck
10-23-2012, 09:30 PM
And tell me if you think he was really, honest-to-goodness "blitzing" right there.

I know you're not talking to me and we've been down this path before with the whole "knock the ball down" thing but James fulfills my definition of a blitzer in that case. There are lots of different types of blitzes and James may have had more responsibilities than just getting to the QB, but he was coming forward and occupying a lineman and not dropping into coverage. To me, that's a blitzer.

His duty was to help free someone else up and probably to spy on Rice a little bit. And if the linemen shifted their protections, then his job might have been to come full blast and get after the QB.

PandapuffTexan
10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
maybe im just too simple but who cares about the atonomy of the play..just to dang fun to watch flacco on his ass..