PDA

View Full Version : Bears Release Chris Williams

Scooter
10-17-2012, 02:06 AM
LINK (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-release-chris-williams-20121016,0,4573687.story)

an interesting player, though the injuries are a concern. is the guy a bust or was he poorly coached? opinions there and elsewhere seem to be mixed. i rarely watch da bears, is this someone who could be a fit for us at RT?

Lucky
10-17-2012, 02:35 AM
LINK (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-release-chris-williams-20121016,0,4573687.story)

an interesting player, though the injuries are a concern. is the guy a bust or was he poorly coached?
I don't think Williams was ever the same after the back surgery. I could see the Texans working him out, because he had athleticism. But, I think they are likely to stick with Harris at the swing tackle.

Playoffs
10-17-2012, 05:26 AM
Wow, man I remember really wanting this guy in the draft and then sweating whether we'd even get one of the OTs in that draft. We ended up with the last one -- Duane Brown.

I don't remember hearing about him having a disc issue, but sounds like he came into the league with it?

HOU-TEX
10-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Wow, man I remember really wanting this guy in the draft and then sweating whether we'd even get one of the OTs in that draft. We ended up with the last one -- Duane Brown.

I don't remember hearing about him having a disc issue, but sounds like he came into the league with it?

I can admit, I wanted him too. After that draft I remember reading an article in SI (yes, I was bored and had to do something) explaining in detail his health issues. Stuff that I'd never heard leading up to the draft.

I was right about Revis though, dadgummit, and everytime I'm wrong about a player coming in I'll bring that up.....Which seems to happen a lot

b0ng
10-17-2012, 11:37 AM

He had injury issues in college but most prognosticators figured he would be able to work through it in the pro's because he was very very athletic.

And holy crap Duane Brown looks like one of the best tackles out of that class (Even better than Long).

Playoffs
10-17-2012, 12:23 PM
And holy crap Duane Brown looks like one of the best tackles out of that class (Even better than Long).
ProFootballFocus ranks OTs on every play, through 6 games:

1. LT (6), RT (0) Duane Brown HST
2. LT (6), RT (0) Joe Staley SF
2. LT (6), RT (0) Ryan Clady DEN
4. LT (0), RT (6) Sebastian Vollmer NE
5. LT (6), RT (0) Andrew Whitworth CIN
5. LT (6), RT (0) Branden Albert KC

IDEXAN
10-17-2012, 12:49 PM
ProFootballFocus ranks OTs on every play, through 6 games:

1. LT (6), RT (0) Duane Brown HST
2. LT (6), RT (0) Joe Staley SF
2. LT (6), RT (0) Ryan Clady DEN
4. LT (0), RT (6) Sebastian Vollmer NE
5. LT (6), RT (0) Andrew Whitworth CIN
5. LT (6), RT (0) Branden Albert KC
So Duane is ranked #1 thru the first 6 games ? Honestly, do you really think he should be ranked that high vs Matthews/GB in the 6th game ?

infantrycak
10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
So Duane is ranked #1 thru the first 6 games ? Honestly, do you really think he should be ranked that high vs Matthews/GB in the 6th game ?

Matthews had zero sacks on the day. When top 5 against top 5 go against each other both are going to win some plays in a game. Duane did better than others who have faced Matthews this year.

The Pencil Neck
10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Chris Williams was supposed to be an instant fit for this offense back in the day. So athletic.

But so damned injured. It's really sad to see.

HJam72
10-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Brown #1, Staley #2

Both teams have been ranked #1 recently.

No, LT's don't matter. :sarcasm:

Rey
10-17-2012, 01:23 PM

You're acting like Matthews is just some scrub...

utahmark
10-17-2012, 01:31 PM
You're acting like Matthews is just some scrub...

Matthews is not a scrub but I sure was'nt expecting him to play so well against Duane after watching what duane did to Terell Suggs in the playoff's last year.

Goldensilence
10-17-2012, 01:32 PM
I thought Williams was cream of the crop too coming out. Guess the potential back issues that some of us on the board had hoped would drop him down to us have surfaced.

I think it's likely the Texans stick to Harris throughout the rest of the season, I'm still more wondering if Either Newton or Harris is a long term...or even stop gap solution at RT though.

b0ng
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
I thought Williams was cream of the crop too coming out. Guess the potential back issues that some of us on the board had hoped would drop him down to us have surfaced.

I think it's likely the Texans stick to Harris throughout the rest of the season, I'm still more wondering if Either Newton or Harris is a long term...or even stop gap solution at RT though.

I don't think either is really a long term solution, but after Brown's first and second year I thought the same thing about him as well so take that for what it's worth.

Playoffs
10-17-2012, 06:59 PM
Brown gave up one QB hit, no hurries and no sacks in the game.