PDA

View Full Version : Chris Palmer and Billy Miller on 790am in the 8 o'clock hour

Vinny
06-02-2005, 07:54 PM
They were supposed to be on yesterday. Everyone can listen since they stream.

http://www.790kbme.com/main.html

Texans Pride
06-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Vinn,

I missed the first 8 minutes. Do they save the show? Can I go back and listen to it somehow?

disaacks3
06-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Most interesting thing so far is that Palmer lays the Offense at the doorstep of Capers...he's (Palmer) only doing the offense that Capers asks for.

Vinny
06-02-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm not sure if they archive their shows. Palmer's interview is over but Miller has yet to come on. I think Miller will be live.

Vinny
06-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Most interesting thing so far is that Palmer lays the Offense at the doorstep of Capers...he's (Palmer) only doing the offense that Capers asks for.Palmer's offense was wide open in Jacksonville. We no doubt run with Capers style ball.

Texans Pride
06-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Most interesting thing so far is that Palmer lays the Offense at the doorstep of Capers...he's (Palmer) only doing the offense that Capers asks for.

I noticed that too....He made it very clear that he runs the offense the way Capers wants him too.

Davis37
06-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Thx for the link Vinny. Seems like Palmer was very defensive about the "conservative offense" remark.

Texans Pride
06-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Vinn, I didn't know that they streamed. Do they have specific times that they have Texans radio? I'd love to be able to listen in when they talk Texan talk

disaacks3
06-02-2005, 08:29 PM
It came across as not too 'trusting' of his players... IMO, his repeated comments of doing what "we think will be best for them" sounds a lot like "we don't trust them to execute anything else".

In that, he might be right, but it does sound like they've been 'holding them back' somewhat.

Boris
06-02-2005, 08:49 PM
certainly he's aware of the criticisms being made & IMO its a prudent way to give perspective.

there's the Marts school of aggressive offense & Capers' style on the other end. Every fan has a preference.......mine is for ball control bruising RB style. Given Capers' philosophy why would he seek out Palmer & additionally why would Palmer accept the position? seems he would still have been assured another NFL coaching position...... so what gives?

Davis37
06-02-2005, 08:50 PM
wow, they had Billy Miller on the radio to talk about basketball...

D-ReK
06-02-2005, 08:54 PM
wow, they had Billy Miller on the radio to talk about basketball...

Kind of a waste of interview time if you ask me...

1st question: Do you want the ball more?

*Cut to basketball talk*

Oh well, I liked the Palmer interview...He seemed to place the blame of poor execution, much like Capers usually does...

Davis37
06-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Kind of a waste of interview time if you ask me...

1st question: Do you want the ball more?

*Cut to basketball talk*

Oh well, I liked the Palmer interview...He seemed to place the blame of poor execution, much like Capers usually does...

I agree. They talk about Miller getting the ball more for like 1 min, then they talk about the Lakers (like anyone in Houston cares).

disaacks3
06-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Yep, the Billy Miller "interview" gave me great insight into how Billy REALLY feels about the Lakers....unfortunately, I couldn't care less about the Lakers.

TexansTrueFan
06-02-2005, 09:19 PM
hmm that interview was so educational...... :cool:

Davis37
06-02-2005, 09:24 PM
The Palmer interview was interesting but the Billy Miller "interview" was a waste of time. This offseason crap is driving me insane! :brickwall

Texans Pride
06-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Why even have him on? That seems like such a waste of time to have talking about another sport, and only asking one about the sport he plays. . . .LAME!!!! :brickwall

Davis37
06-02-2005, 09:56 PM
I waited like 15 mins to hear what Billy had to say, just 2 be dissapointed and annoyed by the LA Fakers talk.

ArlingtonTexan
06-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Sounds like Miller contributed as much to the radio show as he did for the offense in the 2004 season.

dalemurphy
06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Thx for the link Vinny. Seems like Palmer was very defensive about the "conservative offense" remark.

Capers is absolutely not a conservative coach !! He simply believes in running the ball effectively and often. His gameday philosophy is not different than Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, John Fox, and others. Using the running game as a primary threat in an offense doesn't have to be vanilla (Carolina in '03, Pittsburgh '04, lots of Denver teams, any Dan Henning coordinated teams) and it can be very effective (the list is too long)...

Capers likes to take risks. He tries fake field goals at peculiar times. He often goes for it on 4th down (Jacksonville '03). He loves to blitz and gamble on defense. I think the Jimmy Johnson comparison is very accurate. Jimmy constantly reigned in Norv Turner's offensive playcalling- demanding that Emmitt pound the ball. However, at the same time, he invented the 3rd quarter surprise onside kick and loved to take calculated risks like that.

Please everyone who is calling Capers conservative stop it! He believes in running the ball (thank god!) and it is up to Palmer to utilize his offensive talents within Capers philosophy to create a successful offense. If he's not up to that challenge, then he should step aside.

Texans Pride
06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
Sounds like Miller contributed as much to the radio show as he did for the offense in the 2004 season.

Chuckle Chuckle, that was pretty good Arlington :highfive:

ArlingtonTexan
06-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Chuckle Chuckle, that was pretty good Arlington :highfive:

or maybe Carl Dukes understands how to use Miller's skills as well as chris palmer

Davis37
06-02-2005, 10:22 PM

LOL too funny!

In the words of the great Homer Simpson, "It's funny cause it's true!".

Davis37
06-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Capers is absolutely not a conservative coach !! He simply believes in running the ball effectively and often. His gameday philosophy is not different than Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, John Fox, and others. Using the running game as a primary threat in an offense doesn't have to be vanilla (Carolina in '03, Pittsburgh '04, lots of Denver teams, any Dan Henning coordinated teams) and it can be very effective (the list is too long)...

Capers likes to take risks. He tries fake field goals at peculiar times. He often goes for it on 4th down (Jacksonville '03). He loves to blitz and gamble on defense. I think the Jimmy Johnson comparison is very accurate. Jimmy constantly reigned in Norv Turner's offensive playcalling- demanding that Emmitt pound the ball. However, at the same time, he invented the 3rd quarter surprise onside kick and loved to take calculated risks like that.

Please everyone who is calling Capers conservative stop it! He believes in running the ball (thank god!) and it is up to Palmer to utilize his offensive talents within Capers philosophy to create a successful offense. If he's not up to that challenge, then he should step aside.

woah buddy, calm down. I didnt say Capers is conservative... I was just quoting the radio. All I said is that Palmer sound defensive about the questions of the offense.

dalemurphy
06-02-2005, 10:34 PM
woah buddy, calm down. I didnt say Capers is conservative... I was just quoting the radio. All I said is that Palmer sound defensive about the questions of the offense.

I didn't address my remarks to you.

Davis37
06-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I didn't address my remarks to you.

ok, my bad. just seemed to me like u were replying to my post about the Palmer thing. :fishing:

disaacks3
06-02-2005, 11:39 PM
I DO think he's conservative, but that's not always a bad thing. Given your logic, should Capers step aside if he's not up to the challenge of producing a successful team within the Casserly draft philosophy? :hmmm:

tsip
06-02-2005, 11:57 PM

Personally, I want to see the Texans find ways to win games, approaching
each game one at a time. Run or pass, we only win if we score more points.
I know that sounds easy but it is not or every team would do it. Capers
must find ways to put his players in posistions to excel (read the Ragone
quote in the "Ragone Watch Section" ), whether it be by play calling or schemes or motivation. etc. Bum Phillips was known as a conservative
head coach (sure, he had Earl) with a defensive mind who got every 'ounce'
of effort he could get out of his players and-most important-his team won
games. Capers is the head coach because he earned it and he has this team
poised for the next step-- I'm looking forward to him and his staff leading
the Texans to the winner's circle and playoffs!! :)

Ibar_Harry
06-03-2005, 02:29 AM
What happened on the Radio is very interesting, because if you remember it was said that Capers had to go tell Palmer to change what was happening with the blocking because David was getting killed. It sounded like Carr talked to Casserly and Casserly talked to Capers. Also, McNair had his two cents worth in there. Now, we have Palmer saying its Capers problem, because he's doing what Capers wants.

There is something wrong and if you can't smell it then so be it. I will state again, given Capers propensities why pick David Carr and Andre Johnson. They are not the offensive style of players he wants to utilize. Its interesting because others are beginning to see that Capers is really a liability for Casserly in that they are not on the same page. Casserly believes in procurring the best athlete available at the time of the draft, but Capers I really don't believe understands how to use that talent unless it's earmarked for the defense. I wouldn't be surprised if Palmer is gone before the start of the season. Why, because comments like he made on the radio will not sit well with Capers. If you want further insight go read the article from Seattle on Sharper. There is a tone in that article that is more than just sour grapes. I've said for a long time that I don't believe Capers has the respect of his players, and the more I read, hear and see, I think that is true. Obviously many of you feel differently and that is your right just it is my right to say this is the way I feel. Again, I hope I'm absolutely wrong, but there are a lot of little things popping up which make you wonder what is really happening on the inside.

ATX
06-03-2005, 04:27 AM
"given Capers propensities why pick David Carr and Andre Johnson. They are not the offensive style of players he wants to utilize ." Classic Ibar Hating

Ok, first year's draft, what's the most important position on a team? QB
what's the highest rated player coming out of the draft? David Carr
Easy answer, would you rather have us drafted Harrington here?

Second draft, who's the best player out of that draft class? Andre Johnson
What number did we get him? #3

Both picks are solid picks, probably 90 percent of the GM's and coaches would have picked the same if they were in the same position.

So the simple answer to your question is because he was smart and they're good players. these are important picks, can't blow them here. capers can go in the later rounds and draft his style of players ie. Wells, Davis, Wand, Joppru, Morency. You think Robinson, Peek, and Babin aren't his style of players? Did he not trade up to get Babin? Was Robinson a bad pick at 13?

All I can say is patience. Capers knows what he's doing. The Boselli, Hollings, and Joppru injuries slowed down our progress, but it'll work out soon. This is the year for high expectations. We've had 4 good drafts and the team is finally coming together. look at our starters.

Offense:
David Carr
D. Davis
Johnson
Gaffney
Pitts
Wand

Defense:
Babin
Peek
Robinson
Earl

Backups:

Wells
Baxter
Weary
Brown
Hogden
Mathis
Morrency
Hollings
S. Thomas
T. Johnson
C. Anderson
Lord
Walker
Faggins
Ragone

10 starters drafted
25 backups drafted
If Sharper wants to complain, let him complain. There's 35 guys here that aren't complaining and are willing to buy into Capers' sytem.

Should i add the free agents that capers has brought in that aren't complaining. Weigert,Wade, Greenwood, Smith, Buchanon, Norris, Simmons, etc.

so there's 42 guys that aren't complaining and that's not including the Expansion draft players on our team. mckinney, coleman, walker, payne, wong, Banks, etc. then add stanley, brown, and pittman on special teams.
51 players give or take a couple that'll make the team. any of them complaining? no

So what's your point Ibar?

Vinny
06-03-2005, 05:46 AM
So what's your point Ibar?One thing to keep in mind with Ibar is that he a Fresno State fan who followed Carr here. He is not a Texan who is glad we drafted Carr, Ibar is a Carr fan who hates that his guy is with an expansion team (only conclusion I can come to as to his chronic, redundant team bashing). Ibar wants immediate results or he will just troll us hard until we produce them. I've seen him post since 2002 when he predicted we would win the Super Bowl in 2002 - our first season & has been bashing the team in his same polite manner ever since we didn't manage to pull this off. That's just how Ibar is going to be I think. I don't see it ending any time soon. Now, we have Palmer saying its Capers problem, because he's doing what Capers wants.No, he never said that. You are putting words in his mouth.

Lucky
06-03-2005, 07:33 AM
If you want further insight go read the article from Seattle on Sharper. There is a tone in that article that is more than just sour grapes...
What interview are you referring to? And can you find the quote that is "more than just sour grapes"?

I will state again, given Capers propensities why pick David Carr and Andre Johnson. They are not the offensive style of players he wants to utilize.

Carr is a QB & Johnson is a WR. What "style" do you think they reflect? Every team needs QBs & WRs. Unless you think that Capers wants to run the wishbone. Who are some of these Capers-type players you think would be more in line with Dom's "propensities"?

infantrycak
06-03-2005, 07:45 AM
What interview are you referring to? And can you find the quote that is "more than just sour grapes"?

Carr is a QB & Johnson is a WR. What "style" do you think they reflect? Every team needs QBs & WRs. Unless you think that Capers wants to run the wishbone. Who are some of these Capers-type players you think would be more in line with Dom's "propensities"?

You're not really expecting a response are you? You know the Ibar protocal is to only answer or address Vinny--well really make that address because he never answers anyone.

dalemurphy
06-03-2005, 08:15 AM
There is something wrong and if you can't smell it then so be it. I will state again, given Capers propensities why pick David Carr and Andre Johnson. They are not the offensive style of players he wants to utilize. Its interesting because others are beginning to see that Capers is really a liability for Casserly in that they are not on the same page. Casserly believes in procurring the best athlete available at the time of the draft, but Capers I really don't believe understands how to use that talent unless it's earmarked for the defense.

Perhaps the Titans shouldn't have drafted Steve McNair, given Jeff Fisher's propensity to run the ball and focus on defense.

Perhaps the Cowboys shouldn't have drafted Troy Aikman given Jimmy's propensity to run the ball and focus on defense.

Perhaps New England shouldn't have drafted Drew Bledsoe and Terry Glenn given Parcells propensity to focus on running the ball, the short passing game, and defense.

Perhaps New England shouldn't have hired Charlie Weiss given Belichek's propensities.

Perhaps Baltimore shouldn't have drafted Jamal Lewis and Todd Heap since Brian Billick has a propensity to throw the ball downfield to WRs.

Perhaps Pittsburgh shouldn't have drafted Ben Rothlisberger given Cowhers' propensity to run the ball and focus on defense.

Tailgate
06-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Ibar,

You actually had a Carr talked to Casserly domino effect speculation, questioned the Carr and Johnson picks by Capers, and said that you wouldnt be surprised if Palmer was gone before the start of this season.... ALL IN ONE POST???

Wow. You have actually gotten worse. Atleast spread this kind of BS out over severall posts, that way we don't have to take it all in at once.

Appreciate it.

Tailgate
06-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Just like Ibar, I am a Carr fan who followed him from Fresno State to Houston. However, I agree with Ibar in the sense, I never expected to win the SB in his rookie year. But I did expect him to blow up. The problem is that I don't believe the offense properly utilizes Carr's abilities. For crying out loud, throw 4 WR out there and let Carr pick the D apart. It's fine running the ball constantly doesn't seem to be getting us 25 points a game, giving us a chance to win.

Are you forgetting we have led the league in total sacks allowed overall these past 3 seasons? You can't pick a D a part when you dont have time to throw the ball.

You guys were just too used to seeing him throw touchdown after touchdown in college.

This is the NFL, and we have just now FINALLY lost the expansion label. If our offensive line woes start to go away this year, then you should see Carr progress into something special. Thats not taking away from the improvements we did see last year (16 tds I think) anyway.

But remember, you may never see those Fresno type of numbers ever again.

wags
06-03-2005, 08:50 AM
For crying out loud, throw 4 WR out there and let Carr pick the D apart.

Third and five and the Texans are in four wide. Carr gets the snap, takes two steps, and splat....... Fourth and ten.

Lucky
06-03-2005, 08:52 AM
You're not really expecting a response are you?
Yeah, I am. Unless he has me on the "ignore list". There's a lot of that going 'round.

SheTexan
06-03-2005, 09:28 AM

Difficult to contribute much when you don't get much playing time!! JMO!!

ArlingtonTexan
06-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Difficult to contribute much when you don't get much playing time!! JMO!!

Missed the 2nd of the smart mouth comment(Dukes not knowing how to use Miller no better than Palmer) , but the more a more serious answer is that tough to get playing time when you are one worst blocking TEs in the league and at least 50% of your job is to block. Miller has worked hard and is okay a pass catcher, but his total package is mediocre at best. He is getting about the right amount of time.

dalemurphy
06-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Missed the 2nd of the smart mouth comment(Dukes not knowing how to use Miller no better than Palmer) , but the more a more serious answer is that tough to get playing time when you are one worst blocking TEs in the league and at least 50% of your job is to block. Miller has worked hard and is okay a pass catcher, but his total package is mediocre at best. He is getting about the right amount of time.

He doesn't belong on the roster of a good NFL team. I like him. I even have the TD against Dallas on my desktop. But, he's just very limited and isn't much of a contributor on special teams.

throwANDREtheBALL
06-03-2005, 01:13 PM
The majority of the stuff I read here is WAY on one side....or WAY on the other side.

Either your like IBAR and think the TEXANS are imploding or your like VINNY and you think with time the TEXANS will win it all and everything in the organization if absolutely fine.

AND you know what, maybe one of them is RIGHT.........maybe the team is only going one way or the other.

BUT, I don't think so

First I think that IBAR has some good points and VINNY and the majority of fans have some good points.

I think that this interview shows that Palmer is feeling some heat and there may be a way to secure his job longer if he dumps the offenses problems on Capers. I think that this is pathetic, and it seems like the Front Office is playing a lot of the blame game. I think its ridiculous. And the fans that think that this is all good and we just need to start the regular season now to show everyone, well your on something. Cuz if we start the regular season with the coach and offensive co-ordinater blaming each other, we're not going to get far.

On the other hand, the Texans aren't one of the worst teams in the league and they should be improved this year, since a lot of young guys improve every season. And I'm glad that they drafted CARR and JOHNSON, we need them. No matter what offense those two knuckle heads can decide on.

But, OK, am I the only one that is still wondering what's going on with the Offensive line ? They (Front Office) stated it was top priority this offseason and they still have done squat. Whether Capers is running the ball or Palmer gets to use his supposed "wide-open" offense. Don't we need a good line for either one of those offenses ?

CARR stated that he was sick of getting hit and he wanted something done.

So instead of offering a GOOD Lineman any kind of REAL offer and actually TRYING to get one..........they play musical chairs on the line...and they sign one of the worst starting lineman in the league last year and say.........YEAH, now we're improved.

"Here you go DAVID, the line's all fixed!" :homer:

I love the TEXANS, and that's why it frustrates me so much when the guys in charge seem to be blowing one of the most important off-seasons yet.

ArlingtonTexan
06-03-2005, 01:27 PM
The majority of the stuff I read here is WAY on one side....or WAY on the other side.

Either your like IBAR and think the TEXANS are imploding or your like VINNY and you think with time the TEXANS will win it all and everything in the organization if absolutely fine.

Sorry, if you regularly follow Vinny's posts there is no way you should have ever come that conclusion. Maybe in relation to IBAR who is negative for the sake of being negative, but outside of that, a serious misread of Vinny.

Tailgate
06-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Believe me if the Texans front office could wave thier magic wand and give us the best O-Line in the league... THEY :rolleyes: WOULD!

dalemurphy
06-03-2005, 01:36 PM
But, OK, am I the only one that is still wondering what's going on with the Offensive line ? They (Front Office) stated it was top priority this offseason and they still have done squat.

1. changed the protection schemes
2. pursued Pace
3. signed Riley
4. tried other combinations (flopping Pitts, Wand)
5. pursuing Shelton
6. drafted Hodgdon
OH YEAH, and there's still two months of off-season to go.

ATX
06-03-2005, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=throwANDREtheBALL]

Don't remind me. can't the season just start already.

Porky
06-03-2005, 01:48 PM
1. changed the protection schemes
2. pursued Pace
3. signed Riley
4. tried other combinations (flopping Pitts, Wand)
5. pursuing Shelton
6. drafted Hodgdon

Not to point out the obvious, but other than potentially #1, none of that is going to do diddly squat to help the line this year.

dalemurphy
06-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Not to point out the obvious, but other than potentially #1, none of that is going to do diddly squat to help the line this year.

Wow! What insight! You are one special talent scout to be able to dismiss Hodgdon before you've even seen him on the practice squad. You've already dismissed both getting Shelton and/or him being any help to the team. Somehow you know that Pitts at LT and Wand at LG won't help matters and you know that Riley won't work out- not even to add some needed depth.

I need stock tips from you!

wrestler4life
06-03-2005, 02:59 PM
The only thing we can do is wait and see. If the line improves, then great, we can drop the subject. But uf not, then we can yell and scream and make smart-*** coments all we want to each other and about the staff. What good does it do know to belittle each other and our team?

ocd
06-03-2005, 03:24 PM
What happened on the Radio is very interesting, because if you remember it was said that Capers had to go tell Palmer to change what was happening with the blocking because David was getting killed. It sounded like Carr talked to Casserly and Casserly talked to Capers. Also, McNair had his two cents worth in there. Now, we have Palmer saying its Capers problem, because he's doing what Capers wants.

There is something wrong and if you can't smell it then so be it. I will state again, given Capers propensities why pick David Carr and Andre Johnson. They are not the offensive style of players he wants to utilize. Its interesting because others are beginning to see that Capers is really a liability for Casserly in that they are not on the same page. Casserly believes in procurring the best athlete available at the time of the draft, but Capers I really don't believe understands how to use that talent unless it's earmarked for the defense. I wouldn't be surprised if Palmer is gone before the start of the season. Why, because comments like he made on the radio will not sit well with Capers. If you want further insight go read the article from Seattle on Sharper. There is a tone in that article that is more than just sour grapes. I've said for a long time that I don't believe Capers has the respect of his players, and the more I read, hear and see, I think that is true. Obviously many of you feel differently and that is your right just it is my right to say this is the way I feel. Again, I hope I'm absolutely wrong, but there are a lot of little things popping up which make you wonder what is really happening on the inside.

I've said it before and now I'll say it again...you are correct sir! I agree with your entire post except for the part about Palmer being gone BEFORE the season.

Now for my comments...Boring and bad football do not sell tickets nor do they help you get on national television. McNair will make some changes soon if some changes aren't made soon...get it?

ocd
06-03-2005, 03:40 PM
"given Capers propensities why pick David Carr and Andre Johnson. They are not the offensive style of players he wants to utilize ." Classic Ibar Hating

Capers knows what he's doing.

So what's your point Ibar?

Sounds to me like you just don't like Ibar

The Boselli, Hollings, and Joppru injuries slowed down our progress, but it'll work out soon.

This truly is the best part of your post. My question is WHEN will it workout? We've done nothing about finding a replacement for Boselli. You get your linemen from the draft and every rookie coach in the NFL knows that. Our first year we took Pitts and Weary, both projects and guards at that. Next is Wand. Unless he either becomes a technician or an angry white male, look for high sack numbers again. Then we take Hodgdon for center. Pitts and Hodgdon will work out for us. But that's it. We haven't even added any level of depth that our beloved 1994 Oliers would've been proud of.

Joppru...tight end...whatever. Billy Miller and the Lakers rule!

And Hollings. He's been replaced because he will get hurt before the first game and then Davis and Morency will never look back so you got one.

infantrycak
06-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Pitts and Hodgdon will work out for us. But that's it.

Pretty good prognostication skills there--Wand will never work out anywhere on the OL (I'm betting you are wrong here) and Hodgdon is a success (hopefully you are right on this one) before we get to see him make one snap in training camp much less a real game.

Texans Pride
06-03-2005, 03:53 PM
no post here

Ibar_Harry
06-03-2005, 11:48 PM
This year's draft is a classic demonstartion of the points I have been trying to make about AJ and Carr. I'm going to begin by talking about the number 1 draft pick of the Texans. People were howling, because we did not take the gentleman from Texas. We didn't take him, because he did not fit into the scheme that Capers is employing and he knew that the gentleman's talents would be a waste in our system. I can not disagree with that and I think they made a very good choice based on what they are planning to do with the defense. Again, no problem it makes perfect sense.

Now, lets contrast that with the drafting of David. Is David a skilled player and was he one of the best out there at the time. Yes, but the question is and was he the player who would best fit into our offensive scheme and I think the answer is no. Now, why do I say that. Because David is known as a passer and never has been know for skillfully handing off the ball. He's known for his laser like passes and the ability to throw it far and deep. Capers on the other hand is really wanting to run the football. Except for Mr. B the O-linemen they have picked up have been known for their run blocking ability and not pass blocking skills. That includes Wiegert and Wade. Bruener is known for his run blocking ability and not his receiving ability. Now most of us would say if BJ had not been a hospital case we might be saying something very different about the TE position even though they often commented on his ability to block. Even when they look at AJ they are thinking about his blocking ability. He is unusually strong for a WR and they often comment about how well he blocks for the run.

AJ is a massive talent, but are we really doing any thing with his talents to spring the man open. I think the answer is no. The one game he went wild in was a fluke in that they let David and AJ play and the line was able to give David the protection and time to find AJ. The Vikings defense was not known for its strength and it almost cost them the game. It did give us a glimpse of what might happen if David is protected and has time to find AJ or the other Texan's receivers.

Both AJ and Carr represent substanital monetary investments by the ball club, but it looks like the Texans are drastically under utilizing those assets. If you honestly look at this from an investment prospective, you really have to ask what is going on. You could have a much stronger defense if you hadn't spent so much on Carr and AJ. Again, I firmly believe we are not even close to utilizing the talents of Carr and AJ, or for that matter, any other receiver on the Texans ball club. What is the proof, the O-line.

Again I will state as I have before that the injuries in year 2 set this ball club back big time and I believe Capers felt that rebuilding the defense was his number 1 priority. We did not have enough draft picks to do both. Therefore, the defense comes 1st and that's what you are seeing.

My one hope is that players like Wand and some of the other young FA's and NFLE players produce a couple of unexpected surprises and our O-line suddently blossoms because of it. It truely would be a miracle and I think we would all be happy campers. I predicate what I say on the belief that the O-line is still the one piece of the puzzle preventing the Texans from going to a higher level. Again I will say that Casserly believes in drafting the best Athlete and that doesn't work with Capers as the head coach, because he does not seem to relate to the offensive side of the ball and does not have a strong enough assistant coach to stand up and say what's wrong.

dalemurphy
06-04-2005, 12:15 AM
Ridiculous. As I posted yesterday, lots of successful coaches with a run-dominated offensive philosophy have drafted and utilized top tier QBs. You don't need to throw the ball 40 times in order to get value at the Qb position:

Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Steve McNair
Ben Rothlisberger... are a few examples of high first round picks that were selected by teams with head coaches who believe in pounding the rock. Each of them were successful in that framework and led their team to very successful seasons.

Also, the truth is that statistically we are not a run dominated team. Our run to pass ratio is in the middle of the NFL. Thank god we don't have Mike Martz coaching this team but someone that understands the value of the running game.

Finally, the assumption that DJ wasn't drafted because he doesn't fit into our system is unfounded. By the way, 14 other teams passed him up as well... Including KC (editting- it was Carolina not KC who took him), who runs a 4-3, was in desperate need of a LB, and then drafted a SS that they plan to convert to LB while leaving DJ on the board. So obviously there were concerns about DJ outside of his ability to play in a 3-4.

texasguy346
06-04-2005, 12:21 AM
KC took DJ, but both Carolina and NO passed on him. Carolina took Thomas Davis the SS that they may use some at LB. I'm sure thats who you meant.

dalemurphy
06-04-2005, 12:30 AM
KC took DJ, but both Carolina and NO passed on him. Carolina took Thomas Davis the SS that they may use some at LB. I'm sure thats who you meant.

yeah, I'm sorry. The point is still valid, though. Even more so, since one should respect the opinion of Fox and staff in terms of identifying defensive talent.

Thomas Davis was actually introduced as a LB when he was chosen... I think it's pretty clear they plan to put him there.

texasguy346
06-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Vinny posted an article in a different thread about Fox and the Panther's thinking about using TD as a SS during 1st and 2nd down, and then having him play as a LB on 3rd down in passing situations. He's got a chance to play either position, but he might end up being the best option they have at OLB. If he does end up as an OLB then the Panthers will have one very fast set of LBs.

Vinny
06-04-2005, 12:38 AM
If Mark Fields Hodgkin's disease recurrence will put him on the sideline this season, Davis will start for him. That is looking likely.

Ibar_Harry
06-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Ridiculous. As I posted yesterday, lots of successful coaches with a run-dominated offensive philosophy have drafted and utilized top tier QBs. You don't need to throw the ball 40 times in order to get value at the Qb position:

Troy Aikman
Drew Bledsoe
Steve McNair
Ben Rothlisberger... are a few examples of high first round picks that were selected by teams with head coaches who believe in pounding the rock. Each of them were successful in that framework and led their team to very successful seasons.

Also, the truth is that statistically we are not a run dominated team. Our run to pass ratio is in the middle of the NFL. Thank god we don't have Mike Martz coaching this team but someone that understands the value of the running game.

Finally, the assumption that DJ wasn't drafted because he doesn't fit into our system is unfounded. By the way, 14 other teams passed him up as well... Including KC (editting- it was Carolina not KC who took him), who runs a 4-3, was in desperate need of a LB, and then drafted a SS that they plan to convert to LB while leaving DJ on the board. So obviously there were concerns about DJ outside of his ability to play in a 3-4.

On paper the balance of passing to rushing might be close, but when you consider that 86 of the 286 passes completed by the Texans last year were thrown to the backs, I think you have to back off on balance. I'm sorry, but we are primarily a run dominated offense and if Capers had his way it would be even more so, but the health of his running backs prevented it from being even more one sided.

dalemurphy
06-04-2005, 09:49 AM
On paper the balance of passing to rushing might be close, but when you consider that 86 of the 286 passes completed by the Texans last year were thrown to the backs, I think you have to back off on balance. I'm sorry, but we are primarily a run dominated offense and if Capers had his way it would be even more so, but the health of his running backs prevented it from being even more one sided.

86 completions is not a high number for the RB position, especially when you look at the weakness of our TE position...Take a look at how many receptions SF Rbs had during their years of dominance. How many receptions did Philadelphia Rbs have the last 4 seasons? The Cowboys of the early 90s ran the ball at greater frequency and threw to their backs at a greater frequency. Certainly it could be a problem but not when the YPC is around 8 or 9.

I don't recall seeing the team's philosophy on offense change when Davis was injured. I think Wells had 30 carries in his one full start against the Raiders. You offer nothing to support any of your theories, IBAR.

Here, however, is some facts that totally debunk your criticisms:

1992 Dallas Cowboys (13-3) 97 of 314 completions went to RBs for only 600yds

1993 Dallas Cowboys (12-4) 126 of 316 completions to RBs for 860yds
**Emmitt was 2nd on team with 57
**Moose was 3rd on team with 50

1984 SF 49ers (15-1) 144 of 312 completions went to RBs
**Roger Craig was 1st on team with 71
**Earl Cooper was 3rd on team with 41

These are three of the best teams in NFL history and they threw to their backs at a much greater frequency than we do. I think it's safe to say that throwing passes to DDavis for 9 yards a pop isn't going to prevent this team from winning games.

disaacks3
06-04-2005, 12:15 PM
These are three of the best teams in NFL history and they threw to their backs at a much greater frequency than we do. I think it's safe to say that throwing passes to DDavis for 9 yards a pop isn't going to prevent this team from winning games. That's IF we ever average 9 yds. a pop on our last-option outlet pass because Carr's protection has collapsed. You got a breakdown of how many sacks those teams allowed, the YPA, YPC, etc. for a more apples-to-apples comparison of the passing game?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective passing game, no matter whether it's to the RB or not. I just can't fathom that the "fix" is to make DC get rid of it quicker, and take away any hope of a deep route. You can't effectively "spread" the defense if you don't have any time in the pocket. You also negate the advantage that receivers like Bradford (& now Mathis) give you downfield.

dalemurphy
06-04-2005, 01:03 PM
That's IF we ever average 9 yds. a pop on our last-option outlet pass because Carr's protection has collapsed. You got a breakdown of how many sacks those teams allowed, the YPA, YPC, etc. for a more apples-to-apples comparison of the passing game?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an effective passing game, no matter whether it's to the RB or not.

Dominick Davis 68 receptions, 588 yards, 8.6 YPC

Emmitt Smith 1993 57 receptions, 414 yards, 7.3 YPC

Emmitt Smith 1992 59 receptions, 335 yards, 5.7 YPC

Roger Craig 1984 71 receptions, 675 yards, 9.5 YPC

D. Johnston 1993 50 reception, 372 yards, 7.4 YPC