PDA

View Full Version : Roster Moves, Ruud and White signed, Holliday gone

Errant Hothy
10-10-2012, 12:20 PM
per twitter;

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/256066292644204544

@HoustonTexans
The Texans have signed LB Barrett Ruud & practice squad G Cody White, released KR Trindon Holliday & placed LB Brian Cushing on IR

Señor Stan
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Ruud was a solid pro with the Bucs...hope he's got something left in the tank

Lady.Gaga.3000
10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
I remember Rudd from IDP in fantasy football. I just wonder why he wasn't on a team. Too slow?

Quick II Draw
10-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Ruud is good in coverage but has become an awful tackler over the last few years

TheIronDuke
10-10-2012, 12:34 PM
He was just cut by the Saints defense, doesn't say a whole lot about what he still has left.

Insideop
10-10-2012, 12:37 PM
OK, who's our KR/PR now? Keo, Forsett, Manning, ????

Hookem Horns
10-10-2012, 12:39 PM

As someone who follows the Bucs I will say no. However maybe Wade can work his magic with him.

GuerillaBlack

Martin.

Rudyball
Manning on punts and Forsett on kickoffs I think.

Marcus
10-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Who did we get in the draft this year that was a KR/PR?

Keyshaun Martin.

TheIronDuke
10-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Maybe Keyshawn if they feel comfortable with him holding onto the ball.

We can have any warm body returning kickoffs to just kneel the ball in the EZ and we'd be better off than what Holliday did.

ItsMyFault
10-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Thank you.

GuerillaBlack
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM

We can have any warm body returning kickoffs to just kneel the ball in the EZ and we'd be better off than what Holliday did.

Kinda hard to do anything when no one blocks for you either.

b0ng
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM

Ruud was flat out awful with Tennessee.

TheIronDuke
10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Kinda hard to do anything when no one blocks for you either.

True, but if you know the blocking sucks why try to take the ball out of the EZ every time?

Rey
10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Forsett will likely return kicks.

I'm guessing Martin, keo and Forsett will be considered for punts.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 12:49 PM
In 2011, Barrett Ruud rated 48 out of 51 ILBs with minimum 25% snaps. He was pretty equally poor in all areas, though better in pass rush.

In 2010, Ruud was 49th out of 50 ILBs, but with a middle-of-the-pack cover grade.

In 2009, Ruud was top 10 in coverage.

--stats from ProFootballFocus (http://www.profootballfocus.com/)

Insideop
10-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Hopefully that was because he was in a bad scheme and on a bad team.

ObsiWan
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Chron-dot-com blurb (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/10/texans-cut-trindon-holliday-sign-linebacker-barrett-ruud/)...

When Texans coach Gary Kubiak said he wasn’t happy with Trindon Holliday’s punt and kickoff returns, he meant it.
Holliday was placed on waivers today when the Texans also placed inside linebacker Brian Cushing on injured reserve.
To replace Cushing, the Texans signed eight-year veteran inside linebacker Barrett Ruud, a former second-round pick in 2005. Ruud will provide depth behind starters Bradie James and Tim Dobbins.Now what was that someone was saying about Kubiak sticking too long with his little "experiments"??

Hervoyel
10-10-2012, 01:03 PM

Well, Tennessee does have that affect on people.

GP
10-10-2012, 01:04 PM

Absolutely 100% agree here.

Kneel the ball unless you're on the 1 or beyond.

And Martin hasn't been the WR I thought he would be this year, so might as well get him some reps as KR and PR.

LeStar Jean...when is he returning? After the bye week hopefully.

Hervoyel
10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
In 2011, Barrett Ruud rated 48 out of 51 ILBs with minimum 25% snaps. He was pretty equally poor in all areas, though better in pass rush.

In 2010, Ruud was 49th out of 50 ILBs, but with a middle-of-the-pack cover grade.

Hopefully that was because he was in a bad scheme and on a bad team.

That's all we can do at this point is hope. It's entirely possible that he was ill-suited to what those defenses we're trying to do with him. Look at what our questionable pile of talent turned into when the right man for the job put them all in their correct roles. I doubt that the Texans would have signed him if they didn't think he would be any help at all or if Wade didn't think he could work with his remaining skill set.

GP
10-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Chron-dot-com blurb (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/10/texans-cut-trindon-holliday-sign-linebacker-barrett-ruud/)...
Now what was that someone was saying about Kubiak sticking too long with his little "experiments"??

He never liked Holliday anyway. It was a Coach Joe pick, and Coach Joe will never have a pick again because Coach Joe will probably be fired after this season, unless Kubiak can't find it within himself to do so...he has trouble letting go of coaches, and Coach Joe is as sentimental of a situation as ANY.

But yeah, Kubiak HAD to let Holliday join the 53 based on the preseason fireworks and Holliday promptly screwed it up.

Kubiak had no real personal ties to the guy. It was a Coach Joe project all the way. Had we not needed the extra roster spot, Holliday survives another week here. With how Forsett was returning the kickoff last Monday night...it sort of was a foreshadowing of what Kubiak ended up doing today.

Kubes needed the extra spot AND it was an easy and clean way to get rid of Holliday at the same time.

djohn2oo8
10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
That's all we can do at this point is hope. It's entirely possible that he was ill-suited to what those defenses we're trying to do with him. Look at what our questionable pile of talent turned into when the right man for the job put them all in their correct roles. I doubt that the Texans would have signed him if they didn't think he would be any help at all or if Wade didn't think he could work with his remaining skill set.

Agree. Wade plays to his players strengths.

LikeMike
10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I´m sad that the Holliday experiment didnt pan out - but cutting him is totally understandable. Please don`t let Manning return any kicks - he is too valueable. Let Martin and Forsett battle it out.

As for Ruud - I´d say a typical Texans signing. Low price, mid level promise - should see the field some. He won`t be Cushings replacement - he will be Dobbins replacement and at that, I trust Wade.

Now next weeks game is the most important yet (yeah, I did it ;-). Let`s kick some Packer ass...

GP
10-10-2012, 01:11 PM

And also never underestimate the power of "new beginnings" that this can have on castoffs like Ruud.

He comes into a thriving defense, and he will be full of newly found confidence as he steps onto the field. Getting beat down on bad teams can affect players. I am not sayig Ruud is all-world now that he gets here, but he might surprise people and even motivate guys around him.

The culture here, due to Manning, Cushing, JJo, Watt, Smith, and many others...coupled with Wade's crew on the sidelines, it can do wonders for a new guy coming in here.

Brisco_County
10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
At least Holliday was cut before he had a chance to fumble at the 15.

76Texan
10-10-2012, 01:21 PM

He was battling through some injuries with the Titans and the Seahawks.

http://www.macsfootballblog.com/2012/04/seahawks-lb-barrett-ruud-recovering.html

He only played some ST for the Saints.
Zero snaps in the first 2 games.
2, 5, and 19 in the following 3 games.

It remains a mystery why the Saints traded for him (probably for a conditional pick), then released him, and why the Texans signed him.

buddyboy
10-10-2012, 01:22 PM
He never liked Holliday anyway. It was a Coach Joe pick, and Coach Joe will never have a pick again because Coach Joe will probably be fired after this season, unless Kubiak can't find it within himself to do so...he has trouble letting go of coaches, and Coach Joe is as sentimental of a situation as ANY.

But yeah, Kubiak HAD to let Holliday join the 53 based on the preseason fireworks and Holliday promptly screwed it up.

Kubiak had no real personal ties to the guy. It was a Coach Joe project all the way. Had we not needed the extra roster spot, Holliday survives another week here. With how Forsett was returning the kickoff last Monday night...it sort of was a foreshadowing of what Kubiak ended up doing today.

Kubes needed the extra spot AND it was an easy and clean way to get rid of Holliday at the same time.

This is how rumors get started. I'm interested to see if this is simply your speculation stated as fact, or if you have any sort of quote or proof that this is/was, indeed, Kubiak's mentality regarding Holliday.

dream_team
10-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Sad to see Holliday go, I thought he had a chance at being a really special returner. But I understand this move because Trindon simply wasn't producing.

I expect to see Forsett as the KR and Martin as the PR.

kiwitexansfan
10-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Ruud is a great guy, a real Texans character guy.

I've heard him on the radio a lot when in Nebraska and was always impressed.

He is pretty football smart and will be able to pick the system up well.

This far into the season you cpuld do worse than bring a guy like that in.

Lurvinator11
10-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Speaking out on the available ILB's Ruud should be good.

Called the Ruud signing in the Cushing injury thread.

Interesting that they kicked Holliday to the curb so quickly.

Oh well, bring it on Martin.

houstonspartan
10-10-2012, 02:48 PM

Interesting. I always thought that Holliday was a Kubiak/Rick Smith experiment. That's the kind of thing they've always done.

Regarding Coach Joe: Man, it's tough. The last original Texan. Hate to say it, but, it's time for a change. Maybe Kubiak has tasted success and realizes that hard decisions can often lead to success and brings in another ST coach.

TejasTom
10-10-2012, 02:49 PM
At least Holliday was cut before he had a chance to fumble at the 15.

You have to get to the 15 to fumble at the 15.

I think their LB coach is the infamous Frank Bush.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

Perki-Perk
10-10-2012, 02:53 PM
He was just cut by the Saints defense, doesn't say a whole lot about what he still has left.

Amazing what good coaching can do though. Right?

Perki-Perk
10-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I expect to see Forsett as the KR and Martin as the PR.

From what I understand, wouldn't it be the opposite?

Dutchrudder
10-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Interesting. I always thought that Holliday was a Kubiak/Rick Smith experiment. That's the kind of thing they've always done.

Regarding Coach Joe: Man, it's tough. The last original Texan. Hate to say it, but, it's time for a change. Maybe Kubiak has tasted success and realizes that hard decisions can often lead to success and brings in another ST coach.

This really should have no bearing on whether or not to keep the guy. Either he does well or he doesn't. Right now it appears that he's not getting the job done and we need to shuffle things up. I'm not in favor of firing him right now, because I have no idea what the alternative is. If there is a college ST coach that could leave his post right now, then I might be willing to jump on it, but I kind of doubt that. We shall see, but maybe taking away Holliday and Keo will change things up enough to motivate the special teams players.

pbat488
10-10-2012, 03:10 PM
He never liked Holliday anyway. It was a Coach Joe pick

unsubstantiated rumor. it's likely marciano wanted him, but to say it was solely joe's pick is an opinion that's being presented as fact.

Thorn
10-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Hilliday did real well returning against the other guys 2nd and 3rd stringers in pre-season, but couldn't cut it against the real guys. To bad for him, but I ain't sorry to see any non-performer go.

As to these other signings, they are debth so I think it's a bit hard to say anything. But like Herv said, I'll just have to trust Wade to work his magic.

houstonspartan
10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
This really should have no bearing on whether or not to keep the guy. Either he does well or he doesn't. Right now it appears that he's not getting the job done and we need to shuffle things up. I'm not in favor of firing him right now, because I have no idea what the alternative is. If there is a college ST coach that could leave his post right now, then I might be willing to jump on it, but I kind of doubt that. We shall see, but maybe taking away Holliday and Keo will change things up enough to motivate the special teams players.

I didn't say that was a reason to keep him. I was just stating a fact. He's been here since Day One. He's seen the building of a franchise.

But, yeah, I agree. He's gotta go.

silentassassin
10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
unsubstantiated rumor. it's likely marciano wanted him, but to say it was solely joe's pick is an opinion that's being presented as fact.

It's a stretch. But listening to Kubiak everytime he fielded questions during the preseason about Holliday, he didn't seem as excited as everyone else about the possibility of him being on the team. He always followed up positive points about Holliday with things about him having to be able to play within the offense or showing more.

eriadoc
10-10-2012, 03:30 PM
Ruud is only 29 years old, and started falling off 2 years ago at age 27. Did he have an undisclosed injury? Did he just forget how to diagnose plays and tackle? Seems kind of odd, if you ask me.

Grid
10-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Like anything in life, you can get burnt out. That may be the case with Ruud. He was on some bad teams for a long time. And who knows what went on in the locker rooms.

What I know is that he is coming into the ideal situation that any defensive free agent would want to come into. A dominant defense, for a superbowl contending team, coached by one of the greatest defensive minds in the business, who has a "play to your strengths" mindset with his players.

Everyone on our defense has bought into what wade phillips is selling. When Ruud comes in..he is going to be surrounded by guys who are of one mind. They will be confident and they will welcome him as a teammate.. they will expect his best, and he will give it because he is gonna be drinking the koolaid too.

Personally.. im excited. Ruud used to be a pro bowl caliber ILB. We KNOW he had that ability in him. If he still has it.. this is the scenario that will bring it back to the surface.

eriadoc
10-10-2012, 03:39 PM
In looking at the timeline, it looks like he may have been caught up in the housecleaning that went on once Chucky was fired. Maybe he just hasn't caught on with a new defense yet.

False Start
10-10-2012, 03:46 PM
Good. Holliday should have been gone by week two.

76Texan
10-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Ruud is only 29 years old, and started falling off 2 years ago at age 27. Did he have an undisclosed injury? Did he just forget how to diagnose plays and tackle? Seems kind of odd, if you ask me.

Several injuries in the last few years.

I've already posted a link somewhere.

Wolf6151
10-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Cutting Holliday was a good move but I don't understand picking up Ruud, a guy who's obviously not that good and this will be his 4th team in 3 yrs.. Guys like Bentley, Adibi, and Louiseau are all available and have played well for us in the past. Louiseau and Adibi are still young too.

nflnutswife
10-10-2012, 04:59 PM
I'm gonna hope and pray this Ruud kid has a spark left in him! Our team better inject some Houston Texans PRIDE in him quick!

Rey
10-10-2012, 05:13 PM
It's a stretch. But listening to Kubiak everytime he fielded questions during the preseason about Holliday, he didn't seem as excited as everyone else about the possibility of him being on the team. He always followed up positive points about Holliday with things about him having to be able to play within the offense or showing more.

I could have sworn I heard Kubiak say that Joe petitioned to draft him...

silentassassin
10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I could have sworn I heard Kubiak say that Joe petitioned to draft him...

Yeah I definitely agree that it's probably the case. My "stretch" comment was referring to my own observations about Kubiak's attitude about having Holliday.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I could have sworn I heard Kubiak say that Joe petitioned to draft him...Marciano: I didn't jump on the table in the 5th for him for nothing. It's kind of rare to see a kicker go in the 5th round.

Q: How hard did you have to fight for him?

Marciano: It was a battle, but everybody ended up on board... He kicked the ball 55 yards [through the goal post and it was three-quarters the way up the pole.]

Texn4life
10-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Marciano: I didn't jump on the table in the 5th for him for nothing. It's kind of rare to see a kicker go in the 5th round.

Q: How hard did you have to fight for him?

Marciano: It was a battle, but everybody ended up on board... He kicked the ball 55 yards [through the goal post and it was three-quarters the way up the pole.]

I'm lost..... Are y'all talking about the same player?

JCTexan
10-10-2012, 05:49 PM

No, they're not. One is talking about Holliday, the other Bullock.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Oops, maybe not. Thought this was the "Fire Joe..." thread, my bad.

76Texan
10-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Oops, maybe not. Thought this was the "Fire Joe..." thread, my bad.

LOL!

I had such a good laugh! :vincepalm:

b0ng
10-10-2012, 05:56 PM
No really guys, if Ruud is seeing snaps as a starter we are effing hosed. Do not expect much of anything from this signing, instead, equate it to the signings of Garcia and Delhomme last year when Schaub went down.

JCTexan
10-10-2012, 05:59 PM
No really guys, if Ruud is seeing snaps as a starter we are effing hosed. Do not expect much of anything from this signing, instead, equate it to the signings of Garcia and Delhomme last year when Schaub went down.

Exactly. Ruud is coming here to be a backup LB. Nothing more, nothing less. Dobbins will take Cushing's spot in the lineup.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
LOL!

I had such a good laugh! :vincepalm:http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Confus/oups-pardon-9877.gif

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2012, 06:12 PM

At the beginning of last season he dealt with a knee strain injury which did not turn into a chronic problem. He also developed a compensatory groin problem which resolved with his knee injury. His major problem was a shoulder injury that single-handedly took away his performance and continued to worsen until he was placed on IR. He actually underwent shoulder scope surgery this past January. He has had no recurrent knee or groin problems reported to date, and he was seen diving for balls throughout the preseason.........evidently fully recovered from his shoulder surgery. For the 4 years prior to his year with the Titans, he was a "tackling machine"........83,102,107,85 tackles per year respectively. Even with the Titans entirely injury-filled tour, in 9 games he accumulated 47 tackles.........extrapolated to a 70 tackle year.

Barret could definitely be that unexpected "gift." It wouldn't surprise me at all if he were rotated somewhere along the line with Dobbins. Dobbins more for the run and Rudd for the coverage (for which he proved himself to be more than adequate even in his lame duck year).

Fili
10-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Expected the release of Holliday. Just don't understand the White signing.

Insideop
10-10-2012, 07:22 PM
At the beginning of last season he dealt with a knee strain injury which did not turn into a chronic problem. He also developed a compensatory groin problem which resolved with his knee injury. His major problem was a shoulder injury that single-handedly took away his performance and continued to worsen until he was placed on IR. He actually underwent shoulder scope surgery this past January. He has had no recurrent knee or groin problems reported to date, and he was seen diving for balls throughout the preseason.........evidently fully recovered from his shoulder surgery. For the 4 years prior to his year with the Titans, he was a "tackling machine"........83,102,107,85 tackles per year respectively. Even with the Titans entirely injury-filled tour, in 9 games he accumulated 47 tackles.........extrapolated to a 70 tackle year.

Barret could definitely be that unexpected "gift." It wouldn't surprise me at all if he were rotated somewhere along the line with Dobbins. Dobbins more for the run and Rudd for the coverage (for which he proved himself to be more than adequate even in his lame duck year).

Good info Doc. Maybe he has something left in the tank, and now playing with a good team will give him some extra incentive, even if it's just for ST.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Just don't understand the White signing.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Another team had expressed interest in signing practice squad G Cody White to its 53-man roster. #Texans didn't want to lose him

GP
10-10-2012, 09:37 PM

Chew on this for awhile:

“What he did throughout the course of this preseason was exceptional,” Kubiak said. “And his spot on this team was well-earned.”

But few in the Texans organization are happier to see Holliday excel than special teams coach Joe Marciano, who encouraged the team to draft the 5-foot-5,165 world-class speedster.

Marciano followed Holliday’s LSU career closely.

“I jumped on the table for Trindon,” Marciano said. I did a lot of homework on him. Guys don’t get good hits on him.”

Link HERE (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120908/SPORTS/120908009/Texans-hope-see-fireworks-from-Trindon-Holliday), since you seem to be so fond of challenging me all the time on stuff like this. Read it and weep. Coach Joe encouraged the Texans to pick Holliday, which means Coach Joe wanted him...Kubiak then selected him.

I'm sure I can find more evidence, but really this one is enough isn't it?

dalemurphy
10-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Chew on this for awhile:

Link HERE (http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20120908/SPORTS/120908009/Texans-hope-see-fireworks-from-Trindon-Holliday), since you seem to be so fond of challenging me all the time on stuff like this. Read it and weep. Coach Joe encouraged the Texans to pick Holliday, which means Coach Joe wanted him...Kubiak then selected him.

GP, No need to make this argument. Those of us who follow the team closely and have listened to Kubiak pressers are well aware of what he says between the lines. He has hemmed and hawed about that roster spot plenty.

Proof? No. The organization is disciplined. Information is available to those interested enough to read between the lines and know how the team operates, but they are very careful and controlled about any information that distribute regarding all players.

It was clear on Monday night that Holliday was going to be cut this week when Kubiak said, "our return game is bad and we are going to take a hard look at what we're doing"... or something like that.

GP
10-10-2012, 11:03 PM
GP, No need to make this argument. Those of us who follow the team closely and have listened to Kubiak pressers are well aware of what he says between the lines. He has hemmed and hawed about that roster spot plenty.

Proof? No. The organization is disciplined. Information is available to those interested enough to read between the lines and know how the team operates, but they are very careful and controlled about any information that distribute regarding all players.

It was clear on Monday night that Holliday was going to be cut this week when Kubiak said, "our return game is bad and we are going to take a hard look at what we're doing"... or something like that.

When the ST coach says he "jumped on the table" for a player...yeah, that indicates that Coach Joe made a strong enough case for the pick that Kubiak eventually ended up making the pick there.

Getting onto the table is the same thing as saying "I want this guy." Period.

Kubiak figured out very quickly in camp that it was an iffy pick. He was on his ass all the time, very vocal all of the time about him. A freakish preseason meant he had no choice, the guy played his way onto the 53, but then somehow Kubiak found it easy to pull the trigger when Cushing is out for the year...why? Because he was never really invested in the Holliday pick like he was with Jacoby Jones.

Proof isn't going to be proven absolutely, like you said, but it's fairly obvious that the pick was a Coach Joe pick. And the words "unsubstantiated rumor" indicates, IMO, that I was just gossiping and had no real evidence. Hell, what I posted of that article is pretty obvious to me. LOL.

Lucky
10-10-2012, 11:47 PM

Agree. Wade plays to his players strengths.

This is what I was going to post. Cushing's presence and ability won't be replaced. But, his role could be divided into two (Dobbins and Ruud). I trust Wade to figure it out.

Rey
10-11-2012, 12:31 AM
Chew on this for awhile:

Not only that, but I swear I've heard kubiak say that Joe urged them to pick holiday.

TimeKiller
10-11-2012, 08:54 AM
somewhat surprised Loiseau wasn't given a look. Guess they want experience...

Don't get the OG White signing. More competition for RG? I wonder who they will pick up on the P-Squad?

Hervoyel
10-11-2012, 09:48 AM

Looka here boy, you just ain't getting it. We SIGNED Ruud so it doesn't matter if he's dookie on a stick or whether we can spell his name right, or what. He's going to the HOF for as long as he's wearing Steel Blue and the moment the Texans aren't signing his paychecks anymore he's fair game and probably a traitor.

Get your head in the game b0ng! :bender:

IDEXAN
10-11-2012, 10:13 AM
At this point Ruud is nothing but a bench-warmer, right ? Dobbins, the same guy who stopped Rice stiff in his tracks at the GL in the past years playoffs @ Baltimore, is our starter now replacing Cushing, OK ?

badboy
10-11-2012, 10:27 AM
True, but if you know the blocking sucks why try to take the ball out of the EZ every time?Because TH would not be on team anyway by kneeling in the endzone. His only advantage was possibly taking it to the house every time. When that didn't happen.....

DBCooper
10-11-2012, 12:49 PM
And also never underestimate the power of "new beginnings" that this can have on castoffs like Ruud.

He comes into a thriving defense, and he will be full of newly found confidence as he steps onto the field. Getting beat down on bad teams can affect players. I am not sayig Ruud is all-world now that he gets here, but he might surprise people and even motivate guys around him.

The culture here, due to Manning, Cushing, JJo, Watt, Smith, and many others...coupled with Wade's crew on the sidelines, it can do wonders for a new guy coming in here.

Agree totally.

I don't know anything about Ruud, but I trust in the Son of Bum.

To take your statement a step further, Wade has a real system in place, he knows exactly what Cush meant to this defense and knows exactly how his system needs to adjust to compensate for the loss of a great player.

God, I hope I'm right, lol

Playoffs
10-11-2012, 01:08 PM
At this point Ruud is nothing but a bench-warmer, right ? Don't be surprised to see Ruud working into the pass defense rotation with Bradie James.

76Texan
10-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Don't be surprised to see Ruud working into the pass defense rotation with Bradie James.

I doubt that he even get activated this week.

There's a matter of studying the playbook, you know.

ChampionTexan
10-11-2012, 01:35 PM

I'm thinking he's active, although mostly (totally) for special teams.

Playoffs
10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
The #Texans have signed LB Cameron Collins from Oregon State to their practice squad

Name: Cameron Collins
College: Oregon State Number: 5
Height: 6-3 Weight: 241
Position: ILB Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: rSr/2012
40 Low: 4.68 40 Time: 4.79 40 High: 4.87
Projected Round: 7-FA Stock: High: 6-7 Low: PFA
Rated number 16 out of 101 ILB's

Pro Day Results

Dates: 03/16/12
Height: 6024
Weight: 241
40 Yrd Dash: 4.76
20 Yrd Dash: 2.81
10 Yrd Dash: 1.69
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 30
Vertical Jump: 35 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'01"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.38
3-Cone Drill: 6.97
40 Time Range: 4.76-4.82
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69410&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB

HOU-TEX
10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Anybody have anything on this guy off the top of their heads?

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

The #Texans have signed LB Cameron Collins from Oregon State to their practice squad

*oops, Playoffs beat me to it

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2012, 02:47 PM

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=69410&draftyear=2012&genpos=ILB

Hard to figure this move out. He's an ILB who split his 2 year college starter career between LB and safety. He was felt to be very raw. The knock was that he was slow to get to the action, and once there too often overpursued. Again, somewhat of a head scratcher.

TejasTom
10-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Converted from safety to LB his Junior year.

Showcases a quick first step when attacking the line of scrimmage, gets up the field in a hurry and displays the ability to close in pursuit. However, lacks a great feel for the run game at this stage as a backer, has a tendency to overrun the play and takes his fair share of false steps. But, to his credit displays good fluidity when asked to open up his hips and re-direct. Chops his feet in order to collect himself and just seems to be going 100 miles per hours too often with no real idea of where the ball is going. Nevertheless, he makes his mistakes at full speed, works hard to get himself back into the play and uses his length well to wrap and breakdown on ball carriers.

Is developing a feel in the pass game as well. Again displays above average fluidity, burst and closing speed in zone coverage but struggles to feel routes develop around him and doesn't read and react quickly to the quarterback at this stage. Gets caught staring down the QB too often, stops moving his feet and is slow to decipher info. Puts himself around the action quickly because of his athleticism, but is a very reactive player at this stage and not real proactive.

Impression: Needs more experience, but there is some talent to work with. Isn't a draftbale guy at this stage, but might be an interesting "athlete free agent" to take a shot on who should be able to fight for a spot on special teams.

National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=37116)

76Texan
10-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Maybe, but I'm thinking we may active another Guard this week, just in case Caldwell reaggravate his ankle. And then we need a guy to take Holliday's place on ST coverage (perhaps Harris or Carmichael.)

Right now, I'm thinking Nading is ahead of Rudd on the depth chart for ILB.

Playoffs
10-11-2012, 02:54 PM

National Football Post (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=37116)
Yeah, I was thinking special teams potential upgrade as that is a concern.

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2012, 03:02 PM

He began as a safety. Oregon used the 4-2-5 alot. So fairly soon in his 2010 year, he was actually used as a "hybrid" safety/LB until they felt his size would be better served full-time at the LB position.

Rozelle
10-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Ruud has the potential to be a very nice pickup providing injuries haven’t limited his range and burst, he’s not a speed guy.
One of the knocks on him coming out of Nebraska was his lack of take-on ability to play inside. He’s more of a run and hit LB which worked well for him in Tampa’s scheme. Some scouts felt he was best suited to play will in an even front.

Ruud definitely has it between the ears, very smart and instinctive. He had no trouble adjusting to three different defensive coordinators and four different defenses at Nebraska. Finished as their all-time leading tackler, set a school record for tackles as a junior and was defensive MVP his senior year.

If he still has the physical skill set he should be able to help us in coverage. Like others have said in early post, could be looking at a platoon situation with Dobbins.

If he has anything left, Wade will know how to put it to use.

pec0sb0b
10-12-2012, 01:21 AM
Texans sign Cameron Collins LB Oregon State to practice squad. *Gotta remember to refresh before posting....

Errant Hothy
10-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Hard to figure this move out. He's an ILB who split his 2 year college starter career between LB and safety. He was felt to be very raw. The knock was that he was slow to get to the action, and once there too often overpursued. Again, somewhat of a head scratcher.

He played safety in the Pac-12 at or near 6'-4" and 240? Color me intruiged at least.

HOU-TEX
10-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Holliday has been claimed

Aaron Wilson‏@RavensInsider

Broncos awarded Trindon Holliday off waivers, Colts also put in a claim.

*I'm obviously a bit late with this. lol

leebigeztx
10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Ruud is a better player going backwards than forward. I think what they will do is on base downs, it will be dobbins and james, but on obvious passing downs, it will be ruud. He is really good at understanding route concepts. Since so often the texans run 4-1-6 against a pass down, he will get snaps there. Neither dobbins nor james are as good vs pass and ruud. In todays game, a passing game hurts more than running the ball.

dalemurphy
10-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Ruud is a better player going backwards than forward. I think what they will do is on base downs, it will be dobbins and james, but on obvious passing downs, it will be ruud. He is really good at understanding route concepts. Since so often the texans run 4-1-6 against a pass down, he will get snaps there. Neither dobbins nor james are as good vs pass and ruud. In todays game, a passing game hurts more than running the ball.

YEP. I feel so good about our decision-making as an organization right now. We had nobody at LB that would not get exposed against the top QBs when the playoffs near. This move solves that issue.

Rey
10-12-2012, 12:37 PM

Probably intrigued by his athleticism and size. Bring him in to get some extended work in with him and see where it goes.

If he doesn't work out, who cares...

76Texan
10-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Probably intrigued by his athleticism and size. Bring him in to get some extended work in with him and see where it goes.

If he doesn't work out, who cares...

I just pulled out the Winsonsin/Oregon St. game.
I figure the game against the Badgers is as good as any to watch Collins.
Wisconsin's offense is as close in scheme and talent to an NFL team as you can get (at the collegiate level.)
Pro-offense. Good QB (Wilson - starter for the Seahawks). Big and strong O-linemen. Good TE. Good RB. Good receiving corp.

Collins doesn't look half bad, but I don't think he can make it in the pro unless he improves by leap and bound. A very long shot!
His best bet is to play very very well on ST.

pec0sb0b
10-12-2012, 10:10 PM
I see a trend toward increased use of hybrid safety types to counter the increased use of tight ends in today's offenses.

76Texan
10-13-2012, 11:46 AM
I rewatched the PS game against the Saints; Rudd looks healthy and ready to play.

ChampionTexan
10-14-2012, 07:42 PM

You got it right - he's inactive.

76Texan
10-14-2012, 08:10 PM
You got it right - he's inactive.

It's just that he's been playing quite a bit of 4-3 LB of late.

I think he needs to learn the playbook, that's all.

He still looks like a pretty good player to me.