PDA

View Full Version : Our new look ILB position moving forward.

Tailgate
10-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Demeco gone. Cushing out. Here is our new unit for the rest of 2012:

Tim Dobbins
Bradie James
Mister Alexander
Darryl Sharpton

Can this unit be enough come January? Whats the status on Sharpton? Can we expect him to make an impact post injury? Where can we find an upgrade, if possible?

MojoMan
10-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Tim Dobbins
Bradie James
Mister Alexander
Darryl Sharpton

Can this unit be enough come January? Whats the status on Sharpton? Can we expect him to make an impact post injury? Where can we find an upgrade, if possible?

Might make sense to add another reasonably high draft pick at ILB this year.

fiasco west
10-09-2012, 09:19 AM

Yeah. Could be a first round pick.

Either that or RG-RT depending on how those young guys continue to look. I'd put ILB first priority though, even before the injury because James hasn't been that good IMO.

gtexan02
10-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Cushing is our TE and RB coverage guy as well. This is going to hurt us in the passing game a lot.

rmartin65
10-09-2012, 09:22 AM

A lot of us wanted one this past draft.

I think ILB becomes a weakpoint in the D. I am comfortable with Dobbins, but that is it out of that group. James, maybe. But the other guys are depth guys, and if they are seeing regular playing time, we are in trouble. Sharpton is still coming off an injury, and I was never high on him to begin with. Alexander is young and has potential, but he is still far from ready.

That said, I think Wade will cook up some stuff to lessen the weakness. But in my opinion the two weakest positions on the D are ILB and NT. Right up the gut. That is a problem.

MojoMan
10-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Yeah. Could be a first round pick.

Either that or RG-RT depending on how those young guys continue to look. I'd put ILB first priority though, even before the injury because James hasn't been that good IMO.

A third or fourth rounder would probably do it. Cushing will return.

In the first I would love to see a really good nose tackle. Not that our current guys are terrible at that spot, but the Texans really have no glaring weaknesses at this point that demand a first round pick, and the NT position may well be the weakest position on the team.

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Cushing is our TE and RB coverage guy as well. This is going to hurt us in the passing game a lot.

When the D is in dime, which has been a bunch this year, Glover covers the TE usually.

Rotate the three; James, Dobbins and M. Alexander; and go with 3 linemen (Watt, the DT rotation, Smith), 3 backers (Brooks, Barwin and the ILB shuffle) and 5 dbs (KJ, JJo, Quin, Manning and Nolan/Ball).

fiasco west
10-09-2012, 09:32 AM

In the first I would love to see a really good nose tackle. Not that our current guys are terrible at that spot, but the Texans really have no glaring weaknesses at this point that demand a first round pick, and the NT position may well be the weakest position on the team.

He will return but with major injuries like this you always have to ask if his performance will remain the same.

Although I wouldn't argue with a NT at all.

gtexan02
10-09-2012, 09:35 AM

This is a good point. Additionally, we can only have one ILB on the field in our nickel and dime packages, so whoever is the #2 ILB is not an everydown player.

The only issue for me here is that ILB has consistently been one of the easiest positions to draft. Very few 1st round ILBs turn out to be busts. DTs, on the other hand, are second only to QBs in bust potential. The Texans have not been good at drafting interior lineman.

badboy
10-09-2012, 09:41 AM
A lot of us wanted one this past draft.

I think ILB becomes a weakpoint in the D. I am comfortable with Dobbins, but that is it out of that group. James, maybe. But the other guys are depth guys, and if they are seeing regular playing time, we are in trouble. Sharpton is still coming off an injury, and I was never high on him to begin with. Alexander is young and has potential, but he is still far from ready.

That said, I think Wade will cook up some stuff to lessen the weakness. But in my opinion the two weakest positions on the D are ILB and NT. Right up the gut. That is a problem.I am looking at Kevin Minter LSU
if there in second. Would still take Andrew Jackson in 5th. Minter had 20 tackles & two sacks in losing to Florida. He cramped and left game for 20 minutes and could have been the difference. I also think your evaluation of current linebackers is correct.

rmartin65
10-09-2012, 09:48 AM
I am looking at Kevin Minter LSU
if there in second. Would still take Andrew Jackson in 5th. Minter had 20 tackles & two sacks in losing to Florida. He cramped and left game for 20 minutes and could have been the difference. I also think your evaluation of current linebackers is correct.

Minter is a beast. I hate LSU, but Minter is fun to watch. Te'o is definitely the cream of the crop, but he should be gone before the Texans pick. Minter may be as well, but there is a shot.

As for Jackson, if he is not projected to go in the top couple rounds, then he should stay in school. He is only a junior, he has no reason to go. If he does declare, I think I would take him in the 3rd. He is definitely not going to be an ILB that can cover, but down around the LOS I think he could be one of the best.

Jackie Chiles
10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Once we get Demps back I wouldn't mind seeing extra safeties (and no ILBs) on the field for the dime package assuming the distance is long enough.

Other than that, Dobbins is going to make his fair share of plays and I expect to see quite a bit of blitzing from our ILBs, both against the run and pass to compensate.

awc713
10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Why are yall worrying about the draft???

MojoMan
10-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Why not?

badboy
10-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Why are yall worrying about the draft???Because some of us look beyond the very next game. It's fun and what we do.

DX-TEX
10-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Seasons over! 6-10!:choke:

Double Barrel
10-09-2012, 10:18 AM

Because we are fans and that's what fans do. :texflag:

ItsMyFault
10-09-2012, 10:23 AM
I'll have to see it on the field. Nobody's going to replace Cushing, but I hope the defense steps up as a group to play even better than have been.

JVL713
10-09-2012, 10:25 AM
We drafted a LB last year. Not an ILB, granted, but if ILB does become an issue, should we try to get one of either Mercilus, Barwin, or Reed to play inside and allow the other two to play outside? None of the above are lacking in size or athletic ability.

DX-TEX
10-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Time for our OLB's to step up their game! Barwin, Reed, Mercilous....Im looking at you....

LikeMike
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
The question is: are we comfortable with only 4 ILBs including Sharpton who looks to be a long way to being ready again? If not, do we pick up a player from the street, do we trade for one, or do we make one of our OLBs into an ILB? Before the season there was some talk about Reed going inside on some plays...

b0ng
10-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I am holding out hope that Sharpton can come back and be at least decent. Other than that we are probably going to be even weaker against short/intermediate passes going to TE's and slot guys.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
The question is: are we comfortable with only 4 ILBs including Sharpton who looks to be a long way to being ready again? If not, do we pick up a player from the street, do we trade for one, or do we make one of our OLBs into an ILB? Before the season there was some talk about Reed going inside on some plays...

Is this Reed talk thing by fans, Media or coaching staff? Reed to Mo and OLB will be Braman?

b0ng
10-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Is this Reed talk thing by fans, Media or coaching staff? Reed to Mo and OLB will be Braman?

Fans.

rmartin65
10-09-2012, 11:23 AM
OLBs and ILBs have completely different skill sets. Reed, Barwin, Braman and Mericlus are not ILBs, their skill sets are not conducive to the position. Maybe, maybe Wade can cook something up, but I am not counting on it.

speedfreek
10-09-2012, 11:26 AM
LOISEAU B@TCHES!! :splits:

TJ

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Tim Dobbins
Bradie James
Mister Alexander
Darryl Sharpton

If you're talking about January, I'm assuming you mean before the draft, as in Play-offs.

We drafted Merci in the first, & Barwin is underperforming there, if you ask me. It's time for Mercilus to step up & be what we drafted him to be. Put him in at WOLB, move Barwin to SOLB, where he's supposed to be. Move Reed inside to Mo, Leave Bradie James at Mike & groom Sharpton for that position when he returns.

Shouldn't be too big of a transition for Reed & imo he's better than Dobbins & Alexander.

Tailgate
10-09-2012, 11:31 AM
If you're talking about January, I'm assuming you mean before the draft, as in Play-offs.

We drafted Merci in the first, & Barwin is underperforming there, if you ask me. It's time for Mercilus to step up & be what we drafted him to be. Put him in at WOLB, move Barwin to SOLB, where he's supposed to be. Move Reed inside to Mo, Leave Bradie James at Mike & groom Sharpton for that position when he returns.

Shouldn't be too big of a transition for Reed & imo he's better than Dobbins & Alexander.

Very few guys would I want figuring out how to best replace Cush than Phillips.

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Very few guys would I want figuring out how to best replace Cush than Phillips.

I hear you. I'm just "hoping" based on who/what I believe to be play-makers & putting the most play-makers on the field as possible. So far, Alexander & Dobbins are role players. Reed is a play-maker, so is Barwin though we've only seen flashes (yesterday only) this year. Merci was drafted in the first round, so the expectation is that he is/will be a play-maker.

wolf123
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I would put Reed at MLB in nickle and dime situations because he can cover, run and blitz well. That allows Barwin and Mercilous to rush from the edged and you can still blitz Reed up the middle. That's a hell of a 5 man rush to stop...:splits:

SAMURAITEXAN
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Fans.

I see, thanks b0ng.

LikeMike
10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Fans.

I may be wrong, but I think I´ve read a Wade quote after the draft, that they will find ways to put Barwin, Reed and Mercilus on the field at the same time. And if I remember correctly, he was specifically calling Reed as an ILB a possiblity. Of course only in obvious passing situations...

But the question remains: are we condident that our 4 ILBs will suffice, or will we try to find another ILB somewhere?

badboy
10-09-2012, 12:07 PM
The question is: are we comfortable with only 4 ILBs including Sharpton who looks to be a long way to being ready again? If not, do we pick up a player from the street, do we trade for one, or do we make one of our OLBs into an ILB? Before the season there was some talk about Reed going inside on some plays...Not sure we have any trade bait we could or should give up. Probably have to be a trade of a pick for a back up. I am not into panic mode yet. KJ and Joseph should hold down their guys with safeties maybe playing more shallow. I want to see our offense cranking to keep our defense off field even more & continue the high point total to allow if more scoring by opponent.

coon
10-09-2012, 12:34 PM
If you look at the combine results, Braman, Reed, Barwin, and Mercilus all ran around 4.6 40 with a 4.2 20 yard shuttle. I would be most comfortable shifting Braman to the middle, he seems to looks the most athletic. All seem to be better options than Bradie James

painekiller
10-09-2012, 12:57 PM
IIRC Jesse Nading got some time at ILB during training camp when Cush missed some time. He did not look bad. Dobbins is the next man up, Nading should be in the rotation and we wait a to hear on Sharpton.

As for Draft picks I want to add Shayne Skov into the conversation. I love Te'o but he is top 10 so he is long gone, Minter also looks like a solid 2nd round option for this team.

In Wade I trust!

GP
10-09-2012, 01:06 PM
IIRC Jesse Nading got some time at ILB during training camp when Cush missed some time. He did not look bad. Dobbins is the next man up, Nading should be in the rotation and we wait a to hear on Sharpton.

As for Draft picks I want to add Shayne Skov into the conversation. I love Te'o but he is top 10 so he is long gone, Minter also looks like a solid 2nd round option for this team.

In Wade I trust!

If there is an ILB in 2013 that is worth it, I'd sell our draft for the guy. But he has to be THE guy who is the next big thing. No wiggle room, he has to be the business or I don't do it.

I'd then pretend Cushing will never play another down for us, and take the next new Cushing in the draft class and be done with it. Call it a draft for 2013. Wrap it up, pack up the laptops early and leave New York feeling like a million bucks. Then use free agency to fill gaps. Barwin is not a $$$ problem because he won't be brought back, which should help free up some cap space for FA.

76Texan
10-09-2012, 01:17 PM

In Wade I trust!

Nading is like a cat with nine lives! :boogie:

Premier
10-09-2012, 01:18 PM
wasnt cushing an olb that wade converted.. different responsibilities but i look at guys like mercilus and think hes way too athletic not to be able to drop into coverage or go after te's and backs.. his skillset is probably best utilized getting after the qb but this is a special situation here.. obviously you dont replace the iq and intensity cushing brings...

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 01:20 PM
wasnt cushing an olb that wade converted.. different responsibilities but i look at guys like mercilus and think hes way too athletic not to be able to drop into coverage or go after te's and backs.. his skillset is probably best utilized getting after the qb but this is a special situation here.. obviously you dont replace the iq and intensity cushing brings...

He was an OLB in a 43 who made the move to ILB in a 34, which is a bit differenent than moving 34 OLB inside to become a 34 ILB.

infantrycak
10-09-2012, 01:28 PM
He was an OLB in a 43 who made the move to ILB in a 34, which is a bit differenent than moving 34 OLB inside to become a 34 ILB.

It is a bit different but sometimes the difference gets exaggerated. Jamie Sharper was a 4-3 OLB to get his SB ring with Baltimore and then became an excellent 3-4 ILB in Houston. Derrick Johnson played 4-3 OLB to begin with and now plays 3-4 ILB.

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 01:32 PM
It is a bit different but sometimes the difference gets exaggerated. Jamie Sharper was a 4-3 OLB to get his SB ring with Baltimore and then became an excellent 3-4 ILB in Houston. Derrick Johnson played 4-3 OLB to begin with and now plays 3-4 ILB.

Both, like Cushing, moved from an 43 outstide to inside in a 34 and all did well. Which I posted was possible, and often done with good results.

I cannot recall any 34 OLB moving in to play 34 ILB or 43 MLB. Nor can I remember anybody making the move in the other direction.

76Texan
10-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Wade had moved his own guys back and forth between ILB and OLB before: Mike Croel and Michael Brooks when he was with the Broncos, for example.

Croel was drafted by Wade and played at RILB in first season before moving to LOLB.
Brooks played ROLB for several years but moved to RILB in 1992.

Also, in Wade's last season with the Broncos (94), he converted the defense to a 4-3; Croel was moved back to SAM.

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Wade had moved his own guys back and forth between ILB and OLB before: Mike Croel and Michael Brooks when he was with the Broncos, for example.

Did not know that. Maybe the idea of moving somebody like Reed inside isn't as far fetched as I first thought. I wonder how Wade feels about Mercilus at this time?

Vinny
10-09-2012, 02:05 PM
The Steelers James Farrior was a OLB and he moved inside. Lawrence Timmons started as an OLB also.

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
I stand corrected, more succesful examples than I thought. Thanks for the info gentlemen.

HOU-TEX
10-09-2012, 02:16 PM
The Steelers James Farrior was a OLB and he moved inside. Lawrence Timmons started as an OLB also.

I'd have to guess these transitions weren't made mid-season. I think all the Reed, Mercilus, etc to ILB talk is just that...talk. I don't think we could ask a rookie or a 2nd year player still transitioning to 3-4 OLB to jump right in and perform at a high level as ILBs

FYI, just piggy-backin your post

76Texan
10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Did not know that. Maybe the idea of moving somebody like Reed inside isn't as far fetched as I first thought. I wonder how Wade feels about Mercilus at this time?

I like to get him on the field, but I think he's a bit tight in the hip to handle the change of direction at the ILB position (4.53 in the shuttle and 7.17 in the 3-cone.)

At the MO I think he can get by with his good initial burst to jump on the RB out of the backfield (and his long arms can help him from missing too many tackles), but as the lone LB in the nickel and dime, it can get tough.

b0ng
10-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I may be wrong, but I think I´ve read a Wade quote after the draft, that they will find ways to put Barwin, Reed and Mercilus on the field at the same time. And if I remember correctly, he was specifically calling Reed as an ILB a possiblity. Of course only in obvious passing situations...

But the question remains: are we condident that our 4 ILBs will suffice, or will we try to find another ILB somewhere?

At this point in time though, the talks about Reed moving to ILB have all come from fans. None of the coaches have been quoted saying anything about that.

Of course, it's like, maybe 18 hours after the injury occurred so the Coaches haven't really had a lot of time to think it out and then put it out to the media.

rolyat93
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM

I'd prefer an O Lineman if there's a someone that falls. The Texans should be drafting BPA though so it doesn't really matter.

EVOLVIST
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
It's time to pick up the phone and call DJ Bryant.

For depth, for rotation, for familiarity, to move inside (if need be). He's an athlete.

b0ng
10-09-2012, 02:33 PM
It's time to pick up the phone and call DJ Bryant.

For depth, for rotation, for familiarity, to move inside (if need be). He's an athlete.

I thought Bryant was an OLB and was mostly good because of his speed around the edge?

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Can't really call DJ Bryant as he is a Buc right now.

badboy
10-09-2012, 02:44 PM
At this point in time though, the talks about Reed moving to ILB have all come from fans. None of the coaches have been quoted saying anything about that.

Of course, it's like, maybe 18 hours after the injury occurred so the Coaches haven't really had a lot of time to think it out and then put it out to the media.So our resident defensive guru never went "hmm, wonder what the heck I am going to do if Cushing goes down?"

amazing80
10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Reed is the best choice to be moved. Similar size, similar playing style (reckless) and athletic enough to cover. I would move Reed and allow Mercilus to start at OLB

ALSO, for this week anyway, I would be in dime almost all game. Do like you did the first few weeks. Stop the pass and don't concern yourself too much on the run. Keep them out of the endzone. If Harris is not activated this week you might as well cut him. We will need all the dbs we have and if JJo plays like he did last night we're doomed. I would bring Keo in and make him play in the box and cover the TE. Wade will have to do something crazy to make this work next Sunday. Then he has a bigger challenge coming up with something for a balanced Ravens offense.

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Mercilus
Reed James
Jackson Manning Quin Joseph

That would be our base

Barwin Smith Cody Watt Reed
Keo James

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James
Jackson McCain Manning Quin Joseph

IDk, something similar

EVOLVIST
10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Can't really call DJ Bryant as he is a Buc right now.

Shows on NFL.com that he was cut - unless it's a mistake.

But as far as Bryant as outside and inside, at least Bryant has more experience at ILB from college...more than Reed, as a converted DE.

The point is, if Crush is out you're going to have to he creative, and it might behoove the team to bring in someone who knows the system so you get a little creative. That's not to say, however, Tim Dobbins sucked. He held his own. But what will you so with that roster spot if Sharp ton can't go?

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 03:38 PM
Shows on NFL.com that he was cut - unless it's a mistake.

But as far as Bryant as outside and inside, at least Bryant has more experience at ILB from college...more than Reed, as a converted DE.

The point is, if Crush is out you're going to have to he creative, and it might behoove the team to bring in someone who knows the system so you get a little creative. That's not to say, however, Tim Dobbins sucked. He held his own. But what will you so with that roster spot if Sharp ton can't go?

At his point I have no clue. This shows he is a Buc;

http://www.nfl.com/player/d.j.bryant/2536010/profile

but it's the only link I find that lists him as a Buc. The TB website makes no mention of him. So I'd go with him being a street FA at this point.

sometexansfan
10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Here's LZ's thoughts on replacing Cushing

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/10/here-are-the-texans-options-for-replacing-brian-cushing/

GuerillaBlack
10-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Reed is the best choice to be moved. Similar size, similar playing style (reckless) and athletic enough to cover. I would move Reed and allow Mercilus to start at OLB

ALSO, for this week anyway, I would be in dime almost all game. Do like you did the first few weeks. Stop the pass and don't concern yourself too much on the run. Keep them out of the endzone. If Harris is not activated this week you might as well cut him. We will need all the dbs we have and if JJo plays like he did last night we're doomed. I would bring Keo in and make him play in the box and cover the TE. Wade will have to do something crazy to make this work next Sunday. Then he has a bigger challenge coming up with something for a balanced Ravens offense.

Reed James

That would be our base

Keo James

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James

IDk, something similar

Replace Keo with Nolan.

amazing80
10-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Replace Keo with Nolan.

Only reason I choose Keo (In the long run) is because he provides MUCH more vs the run and still has the skill set to defend a TE or RB

TheIronDuke
10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I would kill to have them call Pleasant up from the PS.

srrono
10-09-2012, 04:14 PM
With the extra pick we have I wonder if the Texans will be looking to trade for a ILB before trade deadline.

Texn4life
10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Count me in for this option if San Fran is willing to let this guy go.

1. Tavares Gooden, ILB, 49′ers - Gooden is a terrific athlete, but he plays behind Patrick Willis and Navarro Bowman so he won’t be starting anytime soon unless there is an injury. The 49′ers signed Gooden to a 1 year deal last year. I don’t know if the 49′ers would even consider moving Gooden since they are one of the best teams in the league, but if the Texans offered a 3rd rounder for their backup LB, they might have to take that deal. Gooden could also become a full-time starter next to Cushing in the future.

ItsMyFault
10-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Count me in for this option if San Fran is willing to let this guy go.

This sounds like a pretty good option.

Texn4life
10-09-2012, 04:28 PM
This sounds like a pretty good option.

He's better than most guys we'd draft at the position anyway in the 3rd round. It would take away a draft need and fill an immediate void. Seeing as how he's on a one year deal I doubt the Niners would pass up getting such a good pick for him. A Cushing/Gooden Linebacking core next year sounds very nice with Sharpton, James, Dobbins, or Alexander backing up.

steelbtexan
10-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Welcome to the MB.

Please go away

b0ng
10-09-2012, 04:50 PM
So our resident defensive guru never went "hmm, wonder what the heck I am going to do if Cushing goes down?"

Publicly? With a Mic in his face? Can't recall anything off the top of my head no.

EDIT This is the latest thing that I have read in regards to Reed moving to ILB:

Kubiak expressed confidence that backup linebacker Tim Dobbins will play well in assuming Cushing’s spot in the starting lineup. And he expressed confidence that Cushing will work hard and return to the field as strong as ever.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/09/kubiak-calls-cushing-injury-a-big-blow-wont-call-block-dirty/

GP
10-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Here's LZ's thoughts on replacing Cushing

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/10/here-are-the-texans-options-for-replacing-brian-cushing/

Thanks for link.

I don't see LZ's logic in thinking the 49ers would trade us ANY PLAYER since we might be meeting them in the SB.

Dobbins is, as I agree with LZ, the only option. But who sits behind Dobbins now? THAT is the million dollar question. Alexander? I don't think it's Sharpton because he wouldn't be ready even if he were available right now, according to Kubiak's own words on the matter.

So we can't have any more bad luck at ILB, or it could be really really bad. t's really bad right now, it cannot get really REALLY bad. Or else.

Thank you, Rex Ryan! On your way to sucking balls this year you managed to find a way to remove our best ILB for the season. Way to go, chump.

Texn4life
10-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks for link.

I don't see LZ's logic in thinking the 49ers would trade us ANY PLAYER since we might be meeting them in the SB.

Dobbins is, as I agree with LZ, the only option. But who sits behind Dobbins now? THAT is the million dollar question. Alexander? I don't think it's Sharpton because he wouldn't be ready even if he were available right now, according to Kubiak's own words on the matter.

So we can't have any more bad luck at ILB, or it could be really really bad. t's really bad right now, it cannot get really REALLY bad. Or else.

Thank you, Rex Ryan! On your way to sucking balls this year you managed to find a way to remove our best ILB for the season. Way to go, chump.

I don't think San Francisco would worry about giving up a player to a team in an opposing conference because they might meet them in the Super Bowl. Maybe a divisional rival, but that's looking way too far ahead if they're being offered a good pick for a backup player on their roster. I don't think it's gonna happen, but for the same reasons we're not willing to part with Ben Tate. If Bowman or Willis get hurt they're going to be depending on Gooden to step up. They would only consider it because he's likely gone after the season anyway. You hate to lose guys for nothing when you can acquire picks to replace them.

All that being said, Dobbins is going to have to play big. I have confidence in him though. He's played like a man when called upon and may surprise some people. We'll miss Cushing's versatility and pass coverage, but we'll be fine.

drs23
10-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't think San Francisco would worry about giving up a player to a team in an opposing conference because they might meet them in the Super Bowl. Maybe a divisional rival, but that's looking way too far ahead if they're being offered a good pick for a backup player on their roster. I don't think it's gonna happen, but for the same reasons we're not willing to part with Ben Tate. If Bowman or Willis get hurt they're going to be depending on Gooden to step up. They would only consider it because he's likely gone after the season anyway. You hate to lose guys for nothing when you can acquire picks to replace them.

All that being said, Dobbins is going to have to play big. I have confidence in him though. He's played like a man when called upon and may surprise some people. We'll miss Cushing's versatility and pass coverage, but we'll be fine.

The bolded is exactly what concerns me and perhaps some others. Who is going to fill the Cushmoster's shoes in nickle and dime? Dobbins is all downhill, and good at it. In coverage? I'm not so sure and I can see saliva running down Rodger's and Flacco's chin.

Hope Wade can be trusted in to fix this cluster.

Goldensilence
10-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Even before Cushing's injury I was leaning towards ILB in draft this year that or a RT if Newton or Butler don't solidify the spot as the season goes on.

Of all the things I think this team is going to miss is Cushing's intensity. It's kind of like Ray Lewis for the Ravens in that the defense feeds off his emotion and intensity.

Personally, I'd like to see the FO scouring the waiver wire or looking to make a trade (highly doubtful).

powda
10-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Reed James

That would be our base

Keo James

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James

IDk, something similar

This is the inhouse solution if a suitable trade cant be arranged. Good damn post.

Scooter
10-09-2012, 09:26 PM
how did dobbins look to yall? his progression's been pretty remarkable, is it possible he can take over without much of a drop off? james has looked bad, so that's where the hurt is going to come from, but if we spend most of the game with a 3rd safety in the game anyways we might be able to mask the loss of cushing quite a bit.

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 09:56 PM
how did dobbins look to yall? his progression's been pretty remarkable, is it possible he can take over without much of a drop off? james has looked bad, so that's where the hurt is going to come from, but if we spend most of the game with a 3rd safety in the game anyways we might be able to mask the loss of cushing quite a bit.

Replacing Bradie James, maybe. Replacing Cushing, there's going to be a drop off. Dobbins is solid, no doubt. But he isn't a play maker.

GP
10-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Replacing Bradie James, maybe. Replacing Cushing, there's going to be a drop off. Dobbins is solid, no doubt. But he isn't a play maker.

I won't call him equal to Cushing, but Tim Dobbins is no joke.

He's now the best ILB on this team. And he stopped Ray Rice cold in his tracks in the playoff game last year when Cushing had to leave the game.

Cushing and Dobbins are pretty close to being the same guy, tbh. Not equals, but not that far apart in on-field play.

wolf123
10-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I won't call him equal to Cushing, but Tim Dobbins is no joke.

He's now the best ILB on this team. And he stopped Ray Rice cold in his tracks in the playoff game last year when Cushing had to leave the game.

Cushing and Dobbins are pretty close to being the same guy, tbh. Not equals, but not that far apart in on-field play.

Cushing is a Top 3 ILB in the game. Dobbins is not even close.:vincepalm:

GP
10-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Cushing is a Top 3 ILB in the game. Dobbins is not even close.:vincepalm:

Sit around and watch. You will be re-visiting this topic in the next few weeks.

I have watched these LBs a lot over the past couple of years, especially since Brian Braman is a fellow WTAMU alumni (as am I). So I have begun to really watch the LB crew out there just because I always wonder when Braman might be able to get more snaps out there...which has led me to watch the ILBs more as a result of that interest in Braman.

We've got two types of LBs: The outside guys who are bigger, Reed and Barwin and Braman etc., and then the inside guys who are smaller and quicker and play differently...little heat-seeking missiles out there.

Dobbins is no joke. I've paid a lot of attention to him in preseason and in regular season games. I didn't say he is equal, remember, I'm just saying that it won't be as huge of a drop off as some think.

The big chink in the armor of this defense is, and will be, Bradie James. Cushing's talent masked James' lack thereof, but I don't know if Dobbins will be able to mask James' inferior play as much as Cushing did.

Still, Dobbins is a beast against the run...that pesky thing all you guys are pissing and moaning about every week. Pass rush will be handled by the OLBs anyways. And JJ Watt, obviously. The ILBs need to shoot gaps on run plays. Dobbins and James can do that well enough.

Manning should have a larger role, hopefully, as well. He's a heavy hitter and should be used more in that role now.

powda
10-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Dobbins is a good short area run stuffer. Give him to much ground to cover or coverage responsibilities and we're going to hurt.

GP
10-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Dobbins is a good short area run stuffer. Give him to much ground to cover or coverage responsibilities and we're going to hurt.

Cushing had a game, Dolphins game I think, where he (Cushing) was getting abused badly in the open space to there.

It happens.

You guys act like it was only Brian Cushing out there that made the defense what it was and is. Brooks Reed is, arguably, making as many big plays as Cushing is known for over the years.

People need to dial down the "Woe Is Me" stuff. I'm not saying we won't miss a beat, but we're not suddenly a sinking ship. Players get hurt in the NFL.

wolf123
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Sit around and watch. You will be re-visiting this topic in the next few weeks.

I have watched these LBs a lot over the past couple of years, especially since Brian Braman is a fellow WTAMU alumni (as am I). So I have begun to really watch the LB crew out there just because I always wonder when Braman might be able to get more snaps out there...which has led me to watch the ILBs more as a result of that interest in Braman.

We've got two types of LBs: The outside guys who are bigger, Reed and Barwin and Braman etc., and then the inside guys who are smaller and quicker and play differently...little heat-seeking missiles out there.

Dobbins is no joke. I've paid a lot of attention to him in preseason and in regular season games. I didn't say he is equal, remember, I'm just saying that it won't be as huge of a drop off as some think.

The big chink in the armor of this defense is, and will be, Bradie James. Cushing's talent masked James' lack thereof, but I don't know if Dobbins will be able to mask James' inferior play as much as Cushing did.

Still, Dobbins is a beast against the run...that pesky thing all you guys are pissing and moaning about every week. Pass rush will be handled by the OLBs anyways. And JJ Watt, obviously. The ILBs need to shoot gaps on run plays. Dobbins and James can do that well enough.

Manning should have a larger role, hopefully, as well. He's a heavy hitter and should be used more in that role now.

You said pretty close to the same guy as Cushing. I'm telling you he's not even close. Dobbins is a thumper that can make plays in a phone booth and take on guards. He is not a playmaker and lacks speed and quickness. Right now he's good at one thing and thats attacking the running game downhill.

Scooter
10-09-2012, 10:33 PM
i dont think you can call them "pretty close to being the same guy", because cushing is about the most complete linebacker playing today in my opinion, but i'm encouraged by your last post GP. that's a lot of the impression of dobbins i've got as well - he certainly has shown up. there are going to be more busted plays and misses with dobbins compared to cushing, but that's to be expected, he is likely to make himself known as a positive on defense.

as you also said, my worry isnt so much that dobbins can contribute - it's how much he can mask james. i'd be much more comfortable with a rangy playmaker than a thumper beside james, but maybe with our struggles in run defense this might not hurt as bad as it looks.

powda
10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
we're not suddenly a sinking ship. Players get hurt in the NFL.

The ship is at sea and surrounded by water, no? James has been unspectacular and Dobnins IS good in run support and BAD in coverage. I dont see how thats debatable to anyone who watches the games. If you want to take a positive outlook on things, kudos to you, but I remain skeptical about the position now until I see a solution on the field. Things are not disastrous suddenly, but we did just lose a probowler and one of the better backers in the game.

To many years of let down have caused me to remain cautious and never drunk on kolaide. This team is now weak up the middle. A playoff caliber offense will find ways to take advantage.

rolyat93
10-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I think Dobbins will surprise. He's probably just as bad as James in coverage, but he's much better in run support. James is just average/below average at everything.

GP
10-10-2012, 10:02 AM
....but maybe with our struggles in run defense this might not hurt as bad as it looks.

I don't even seem to really recall either of our ILBs doing much pass rushing this season. Cushing was blitzing the QB pretty regularly last year, but I think Wade has been holding that back (for whatever reason) this year especially with how much pressure our DTs and OLBs have been getting so far this year.

Therefore, we're obviously losing some talent with Cushing being out for the year...but Dobbins is going to be a run stopping beast out there. So the ILB focus will be the same, but we're losing the intangibles that Cushing brings.

A guy like Dobbins, just because he hasn't ben featured heavily, he wants to go out there and show what he can do. And I think he will do a pretty good job. Plus, Wade will adapt and adjust things to compensate.

Texanmike02
10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
I'm really interested to see how Wade adapts. I feel like we should go get an ILB that can cover because I don't think we've got one on the roster but maybe he is going to ask a safety to move into the ILB position on passing downs. The thought of Dobbins/James in a lot though begs for play action if you ask me.

Mike

Errant Hothy
10-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm really interested to see how Wade adapts. I feel like we should go get an ILB that can cover because I don't think we've got one on the roster but maybe he is going to ask a safety to move into the ILB position on passing downs. The thought of Dobbins/James in a lot though begs for play action if you ask me.

Mike

I think that this is the most likely scenario with what is currently on the roster. Wade has been using a bunch of dime this year already to get an extra safety on the field.

This is likely to be meet with much resistance/screams of I'm not all here this morning, but could Keo be that close in coverage guy? Despite what we, the fans, may feel about him; Wade certainly likes him enough.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 11:25 AM
LZ's take: (http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/10/here-are-the-texans-options-for-replacing-brian-cushing/)
Barrett Ruud - Ruud has played inside in the 4-3 and started several years in Tampa. In his last stop where he actually played, he was with Tennessee. I watched his game against the Texans and he looked to have decent instincts, but didn’t show much quickness in getting to ball carriers. Ruud stayed in the game for all 3 downs against the Texans. Very average athlete.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
ILB Barrett Ruud, 6-2, 241, should help give them depth behind starters Tim Dobbins and Bradie James.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield
Ruud had 4 straight 100-tackle seasons from 2006-10 in TB. He'll help the #Texans try to replace Cushing at ILB

Seńor Stan
10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Was just cut by the Saints a couple days ago after being traded for a conditional draft pick from the Seahawks...

Makes me wonder if they cut him to save the draft pick given where they are heading with the 1-4 start.

Insideop
10-10-2012, 11:46 AM
LZ's take: (http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/10/here-are-the-texans-options-for-replacing-brian-cushing/)

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

I wish the Texans would have gone with LZ's trade options and gone after the 49ers ILB, Gooden. Maybe they did and the Niners were asking too much. I guess we'll see what Ruud can do.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
A 3rd round pick for Gooden? Hell no. He is one of the few guys I have seen look like hot garbage playing next to Ray Lewis. He lost his job to Jameel McClain and Dannell Ellerbe, two undrafted free agents. Good athlete but hasn't shown to be a good player as an ILB in the 3-4.

Texn4life
10-10-2012, 12:19 PM
A 3rd round pick for Gooden? Hell no. He is one of the few guys I have seen look like hot garbage playing next to Ray Lewis. He lost his job to Jameel McClain and Dannell Ellerbe, two undrafted free agents. Good athlete but hasn't shown to be a good player as an ILB in the 3-4.

He was an OLB asked to gain weight and transition inside. To ask a kid in his second year to make that transition and be effective for a playoff team was too much to ask. Ask 49er fans and they'll tell you he's made great strides playing inside. It isn't a plug and play league where you can just put guys in a spot and expect great results. It take time for some guys to develop into that role. There are some guys in the league where it never clicks for them until they're deep in their career. Just because a guys didn't tear up the league in his first couple of years doesn't mean its going to always be that way. We should know that out of all teams. E.G. Duane Brown, Kareem Jackson

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-10-2012, 12:54 PM
How can you say he has made great strides when he never gets on the field?

Texn4life
10-10-2012, 01:15 PM
How can you say he has made great strides when he never gets on the field?

I have a friend who works for San Francisco. I honestly didn't know much about him until I called him up and asked. They trust him to do a great job should he be called upon to start. Evaluation isn't just done in regular season games. Practice and preseason also counts for something and it's a position that's taken him some time to get adjusted to. Not being able to get playing time because you have 2 of the best LBers in the league ahead of you isn't a knock on him.

b0ng
10-10-2012, 02:56 PM
To many years of let down have caused me to remain cautious and never drunk on kolaide. This team is now weak up the middle. A playoff caliber offense will find ways to take advantage.

Because teams that win the superbowl have no flaws or weaknesses whatsoever. You'll never drink the kool-aide and will forever be looking for an excuse not to.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-10-2012, 03:23 PM
I have a friend who works for San Francisco. I honestly didn't know much about him until I called him up and asked. They trust him to do a great job should he be called upon to start. Evaluation isn't just done in regular season games. Practice and preseason also counts for something and it's a position that's taken him some time to get adjusted to. Not being able to get playing time because you have 2 of the best LBers in the league ahead of you isn't a knock on him.

I follow the Ravens pretty closely so I have seen him play. All he is is a good athlete. Doesn't play with instincts, not physical, won't do any of the dirty work on the inside. The guy was handed the starting job his 2nd season and was a complete nonfactor in a defense that is famous for making average players look good. You want to give a 3rd round pick for that when we traded DeMeco for a 4th round pick? lol

Texn4life
10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
I follow the Ravens pretty closely so I have seen him play. All he is is a good athlete. Doesn't play with instincts, not physical, won't do any of the dirty work on the inside. You want to give a 3rd round pick for that when we traded DeMeco for a 4th round pick? lol

DeMeco's value was less because of his contract. If DeMeco had a more cap friendly deal then he would either still be a Texan or would have been traded for a higher pick.

As far as Gooden goes, I've already addressed why he struggled transitioning inside. Move Wade Smith to Left Tackle and see if he makes a smooth transition. Some guys need a change of scenery before they get it. I could list a ton of players who were considered terrible with one team only to thrive on another. I don't doubt that he wasn't very good with the Ravens, but their expectations of him were unrealistic. I can't say I watched him closely there, but I have seen him quite a bit in preseason and on special teams with the Niners. After talking with my friend I feel pretty confident in saying he's going to be a starter for someone in the league next year. A third may be too high, but i'm not a GM so we're all just throwing stuff out there. Not set in stone my dude.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Gooden is also a free agent after this season. Why give up a high round draft pick for what could possibly be a marginal rental player.

Texn4life
10-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Gooden is also a free agent after this season. Why give up a high round draft pick for what could possibly be a marginal rental player.

Ever heard of a conditional trade? Geez man it was a thought. If u don't agree cool but I'm not calling for Rick Smith get his his ass to Cali now.

powda
10-10-2012, 03:46 PM
You'll never drink the kool-aide and will forever be looking for an excuse not to.

Your right. I will never drink the kolaide because I see flaws and dont rely on blind faith. I can still appreciate the growth this team has made. It dosent make me any less a fan being cautiously optimistic then a fan whom stupidly jumps in head first.

Because teams that win the superbowl have no flaws or weaknesses whatsoever.

Water is wet. Thanks confucious.

b0ng
10-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Your right. I will never drink the kolaide because I see flaws and dont rely on blind faith. I can still appreciate the growth this team has made. It dosent make me any less a fan being cautiously optimistic then a fan whom stupidly jumps in head first.

Water is wet. Thanks confucious.

Good thing you questioned your own fanhood rather than me doing it. Also, didn't get the last line.

powda
10-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Good thing you questioned your own fanhood rather than me doing it. Also, didn't get the last line.

Last lines about you stating the obvious. Difference between you and I is that I form my own opinions rather then accepting things at face value. Losing cushing will not help this team right now. You can be an optomist or a pessimist however you like but if you dont understand that it may be in your best interest to watch tennis.

b0ng
10-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Last lines about you stating the obvious. Difference between you and I is that I form my own opinions rather then accepting things at face value. Losing cushing will not help this team right now. You can be an optomist or a pessimist however you like but if you dont understand that it may be in your best interest to watch tennis.

The only obvious thing about that last line was that it was sarcasm.

Texan_Bill
10-10-2012, 07:37 PM
powda v. b0ng

Go!

:popcorn:

powda
10-10-2012, 07:46 PM
The only obvious thing about that last line was that it was sarcasm.

I think its a chickensh*t stance to question somone's passion as a fan because they dont share the same optimism you do. We did just lose one of the best players on the team. It was already my opinion that our defense was more susceptible then the stats reveal. If you argued rudd's great or the loss can be minimized with scheme that would have reasonable merit, though i'd disagree. Instead, you think cushing done for the year is no big deal because all teams have flaws. Thanks for the wisdom but thats not going to help stop any offense on the field.

b0ng
10-10-2012, 07:50 PM
I think its a chickensh*t stance to question somone's passion as a fan because they dont share the same optimism you do. We did just lose one of the best players on the team. It was already my opinion that our defense was more susceptible then the stats reveal. If you argued rudd's great or the loss can be minimized with scheme that would have reasonable merit, though i'd disagree. Instead, you think cushing done for the year is no big deal because all teams have flaws. Thanks for the wisdom but thats not going to help stop any offense on the field.

Nobody has questioned your fanhood besides yourself.

powda
10-10-2012, 08:03 PM
powda v. b0ng

Go!

:popcorn:

I dont really know how it turned into that. I'm not overlooking the loss of cushing and my rose colored glasses have been off since the mid casserly/capers years. We have a major injury and i think its fair to be skeptical going forward until at least sunday when we see some kind of on field solution. If that approach doesnt invollve enough rainbows and butterflies to keep some posters happy i dunno whatelse to say.

b0ng
10-10-2012, 08:06 PM
It certainly is something though when you can be prideful for never having "drunk the kool-aide" and always being skeptical.

Go you.

powda
10-10-2012, 08:14 PM
It certainly is something though when you can be prideful for never having "drunk the kool-aide" and always being skeptical.

Go you.

I think you overlooked the words cautiously optimistic. If you wanna wager your house in vegas on a Texans superbowl victory go right ahead. Your not going to get any sympathy from me if your homeless. Just dont ask me for handouts when im at the intersection next to your bridge lol.

thunderkyss
10-10-2012, 08:21 PM

Dobbins ain't Cush.... I agree with you whole heartedly. However, I just rewatched the second half today, paying close attention to Dobbins. Definitely a drop off in tenacity, but he played well. Better than I thought.

If, & that's a big if, Barwin would wake up or Reed kicks it into second gear, we may be ok.

if.

I'd still like to see Reed moved inside, Barwin back to the strong side & Mercilus live up to his first round status.

powda
10-10-2012, 08:33 PM
I'd still like to see Reed moved inside, Barwin back to the strong side & Mercilus live up to his first round status.

Back on track. I'd like to see that as well. Seems like the sensible approach. I'd guess wade will give dobbins a chance before making that many changes however. Rudd was a good backer not long ago but the fact he was just cut by another team is alarming.

thunderkyss
10-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Back on track. I'd like to see that as well. Seems like the sensible approach. I'd guess wade will give dobbins a chance before making that many changes however. Rudd was a good backer not long ago but the fact he was just cut by another team is alarming.

I'm not Wade Phillips, but that's exactly what I would do. Dobbins & Ruud are journeymen, role players, they aren't play-makers or starters even.

Last year, we were talking about "next man up" but in each case, the next man was someone we drafted or brought in to eventually play a big part of our production on the field.

Brooks Reed was a second round pick as was Barwin, Tate

If Sharpton was coming back soon, I could see plugging him in. At least we drafted him, his potential is still unknown. But the chances of Dobbins & Rudd becoming come back player of the year... I'm not feeling it.

pec0sb0b
10-10-2012, 09:18 PM
If there is an ILB in 2013 that is worth it, I'd sell our draft for the guy. But he has to be THE guy who is the next big thing. No wiggle room, he has to be the business or I don't do it.

I'd then pretend Cushing will never play another down for us, and take the next new Cushing in the draft class and be done with it. Call it a draft for 2013. Wrap it up, pack up the laptops early and leave New York feeling like a million bucks. Then use free agency to fill gaps. Barwin is not a $$$ problem because he won't be brought back, which should help free up some cap space for FA.

Mante Teo, ND

pec0sb0b
10-11-2012, 12:25 AM
The short term drop-off is against the pass over the middle and short routes outside the hash marks. Ideally you like one pass-rusher/run-stopper and one cover guy as your ILBs in your base 3-4 and nickel. This would have been Cushing and Sharpton, had Sharpton not been injured...James was signed as a short term replacement for Sharpton, familar with the system, a downhill player, but poor at coverage, so Cushing had to become the cover ILB. Sharpton, a converted 4-3 OLB is the best cover LB on the roster and will fill this role when he returns.
Texans' base 3-4:
Reed-Watt-Cody-Smith-Barwin/Cushing-James/JJ-KJ-Manning-Quin*edited, thanks Insideop.

Contrary to what you mave read elsewhere, this year the Texans have been using a 2-4-5 nickel* and a 2-3-6 dime. In the 2-4-5 nickel there are four linemen (two OLBs and two DEs), two ILBs (normally) and five DBs. In the nickel formation, like the base 3-4, ideally you want one pass-rusher/run-stopper ILB(Cushing) and one cover ILB (Sharpton). *In this package the Texans have been using SS Glover Quin in the role of cover ILB, who I believe would have been replaced in this package by Sharpton on his return from injury, so technically up to the Cushing injury there was no difference between the Texans' nickel and dime except that they moved Quin around.
Texans' nickel:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/Cushing-Quin*/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Demps

In the Texans dime package there are four linemen (two OLBs and two DEs), one ILB and six DBs. Cushing has been the lone ILB in this package (I wonder if Sharpton would have taken this role at some point as Cushing is not really that good in coverage).
Texans' dime:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/Cushing/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin-Demps

That was before Cushing and Demps were injured. In the base 3-4 they'll rotate Dobbins and Alexander alongside James. All of these guys play well downhill but basically suck in coverage so the defense is going to have a hard time with passes over the middle and short routes outside the hash marks on first downs. One option to help with this until Sharpton's return could be to sub Quin at ILB in the base package like they've been doing in the nickel. Now that Demps is out Nolan would come in at SS.
Texans' new base 3-4 before Sharpton returns:
Reed-Watt-Cody-Smith-Barwin/James-Dobbins(Quin?)/JJ-KJ-Manning-Quin(Nolan?)

In the nickel they've already been subbing a safety for the cover ILB so in this formation the biggest difference will be the loss of Cushing's pass-rush abilty over James. Again, now that Demps is out Nolan would come in at SS.
Texans' new nickel before Sharpton returns:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/James-Quin*/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Nolan

Up to this point I believe I've been on firm ground...now I'm not as confident. I don't see really James as the sole ILB in the dime package.
Texans' dime before Sharpton returns:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/James(Quin?)/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Nolan-Quin(Harris?Carmichael?) with Quin at ILB that would technically be a quarter package.

After Sharpton's return (maybe week 9-10):
Texans' base 3-4:
Reed-Watt-Cody-Smith-Barwin/James-Sharpton/JJ-KJ-Manning-Quin*edited, thanks Insideop.
Texans' nickel:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/James-Sharpton/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin
Texans' dime:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/Sharpton/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin-Nolan

I do think that they had plans to draft an ILB next year, but that they also wanted to see if Reed could learn to play inside, the same thing they've been doing with Cushing. The Texan's OLBs do have a fair amount of coverage responsibilities, often allowing other defenders to rush the passer inside, so I think this is a possibility of Reed being moved to ILB somewhere down the road. But then, the plan is probably to let Barwin walk next year, start Mercilus at OLB opposite Reed and draft to upgrade at ILB.

Insideop
10-11-2012, 08:44 AM
The short term drop-off is against the pass over the middle and short routes outside the hash marks. Ideally you like one pass-rusher/run-stopper and one cover guy as your ILBs in your base 3-4 and nickel. This would have been Cushing and Sharpton, had Sharpton not been injured...James was signed as a short term replacement for Sharpton, familar with the system, a downhill player, but poor at coverage, so Cushing had to become the cover ILB. Sharpton, a converted 4-3 OLB is the best cover LB on the roster and will fill this role when he returns.
Texans' base 3-4:
Reed-Watt-Cody-Smith-Barwin/Cushing-James/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin

Contrary to what you mave read elsewhere, this year the Texans have been using a 2-4-5 nickel* and a 2-3-6 dime. In the 2-4-5 nickel there are four linemen (two OLBs and two DEs), two ILBs (normally) and five DBs. In the nickel formation, like the base 3-4, ideally you want one pass-rusher/run-stopper ILB(Cushing) and one cover ILB (Sharpton). *In this package the Texans have been using SS Glover Quin in the role of cover ILB, who I believe would have been replaced in this package by Sharpton on his return from injury, so technically up to the Cushing injury there was no difference between the Texans' nickel and dime except that they moved Quin around.
Texans' nickel:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/Cushing-Quin*/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Demps

In the Texans dime package there are four linemen (two OLBs and two DEs), one ILB and six DBs. Cushing has been the lone ILB in this package (I wonder if Sharpton would have taken this role at some point as Cushing is not really that good in coverage).
Texans' dime:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/Cushing/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin-Demps

That was before Cushing and Demps were injured. In the base 3-4 they'll rotate Dobbins and Alexander alongside James. All of these guys play well downhill but basically suck in coverage so the defense is going to have a hard time with passes over the middle and short routes outside the hash marks on first downs. One option to help with this until Sharpton's return could be to sub Quin at ILB in the base package like they've been doing in the nickel. Now that Demps is out Nolan would come in at SS.
Texans' new base 3-4 before Sharpton returns:
Reed-Watt-Cody-Smith-Barwin/James-Dobbins(Quin?)/JJ-KJ-Manning-Quin(Nolan?)

In the nickel they've already been subbing a safety for the cover ILB so in this formation the biggest difference will be the loss of Cushing's pass-rush abilty over James. Again, now that Demps is out Nolan would come in at SS.
Texans' new nickel before Sharpton returns:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/James-Quin*/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Nolan

Up to this point I believe I've been on firm ground...now I'm not as confident. I don't see really James as the sole ILB in the dime package.
Texans' dime before Sharpton returns:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/James(Quin?)/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Nolan-Quin(Harris?Carmichael?) with Quin at ILB that would technically be a quarter package.

After Sharpton's return (maybe week 9-10):
Texans' base 3-4:
Reed-Watt-Cody-Smith-Barwin/James-Sharpton/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin
Texans' nickel:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/James-Sharpton/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin
Texans' dime:
Reed-Watt-Smith-Barwin/Sharpton/JJ-KJ-McCain-Manning-Quin-Nolan

I do think that they had plans to draft an ILB next year, but that they also wanted to see if Reed could learn to play inside, the same thing they've been doing with Cushing. The Texan's OLBs do have a fair amount of coverage responsibilities, often allowing other defenders to rush the passer inside, so I think this is a possibility of Reed being moved to ILB somewhere down the road. But then, the plan is probably to let Barwin walk next year, start Mercilus at OLB opposite Reed and draft to upgrade at ILB.

Nice work, but a couple of your base 3-4 lineups would have 12 men on the field. I assume McCain would be the odd-man-out. Also, this thing about Reed possibly being moved to ILB, is this a rumor started by fans or is there some evidence the Texans are looking at this? If so, could you or, anyone else, provide a link? I haven't heard of this being mentioned from the Texans at all and I just wonder if Reed has the skill set to do this. I know it looks good on paper, moving him to ILB and having Mercilus as OLB, but has Reed ever played ILB? It's a lot tougher position mentally than OLB. Not saying he couldn't handle it, but if he's never played the position, that's a tough move to make this quickly.

b0ng
10-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Mante Teo, ND

Only if the Texans trade-up for him, which is really really risky.

pec0sb0b
10-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Nice work, but a couple of your base 3-4 lineups would have 12 men on the field. I assume McCain would be the odd-man-out. Also, this thing about Reed possibly being moved to ILB, is this a rumor started by fans or is there some evidence the Texans are looking at this? If so, could you or, anyone else, provide a link? I haven't heard of this being mentioned from the Texans at all and I just wonder if Reed has the skill set to do this. I know it looks good on paper, moving him to ILB and having Mercilus as OLB, but has Reed ever played ILB? It's a lot tougher position mentally than OLB. Not saying he couldn't handle it, but if he's never played the position, that's a tough move to make this quickly.

Thanks for correcting me...took me a while to write the damn thing...lots of revisions.

“I’m never opposed to putting my best players out on the field, especially on third downs,” Phillips said. “Those guys, we’ll come up with some kind of defense that fits our personnel rather than having a certain defense that everybody has to play and you have to plays’ a four-man look and one of your best players is sitting on the bench.

“I can envision, right now, those three guys (Mercilus, Barwin and Reed) along with J.J. (Watt) and Antonio (Smith) being in the rush group and one of them dropping and the other four rushing, which gives people problems. Of course, you also have (Brian) Cushing in there. I think we’ll be formidable that way.”
Texans pass rush could be overwhelming for quarterbacks
by John McClain - If you’re the opposing quarterback, and Phillips is calling for a six-player blitz, here’s who’s coming: Barwin, Mercilus, Watt, Smith, Reed and Cushing.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93655
Herring also talked about Reed’s “linebacker body.”

“That’s where people get discombobulated with him,” Herring said. “Look, he’s 6-2˝, 250. The fact that he was playing with his hand in the dirt (the three-point stance of a defensive end) in college turned him into a ‘tweener’ to some people. But he was always a ‘Mike’ linebacker to us. Half the teams in the draft wanted him bad, and the other half didn’t think he could (make the transition). We were in the half that saw the upside potential. He’s still projecting and growing as a player. The sky’s the limit.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/07/linebacker-reed-fierce-on-the-field-a-cool-customer-off-it/

There was also a practice quote I read again last night where Phillips says Reed might be able to move inside that came out earlier this year in May I believe, but I can't find it now.

badboy
10-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Mante Teo, NDWhat are you willing to give up to trade up to get him?

Texn4life
10-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Only if the Texans trade-up for him, which is really really risky.

We'll have to give up a ton to get him I think. To me he's a better prospect than Luke Kuechly and I don't see him falling past the 10-12 range.

drs23
10-11-2012, 03:54 PM

Can't provide a link, sorry. IIRC, Wade mentioned it in a presser during the PS as a way to perhaps get Merciles on the field at the same time as all the other starters.

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Can't provide a link, sorry. IIRC, Wade mentioned it in a presser during the PS as a way to perhaps get Merciles on the field at the same time as all the other starters.

Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips Apr 26, 2012

(on where he fits with Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed in a rotation) “Yeah, he certainly fits right in there. I think he’s a pass rusher, and I think we’d utilize him more in the pass rush rather than over the tight end. We’ll see, but I’ve played them all before. We had (Steve) Foley, and Shaun Phillips, and (Shawne) Merriman, and we played them all on third down. Just put your best people in, and we can come up with something. If they’re good enough, we’ll put them in there and let them rush.”
link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Mercilus-and-Phillips-/cfc93317-17d9-452c-a97c-690d79b93b8a)

76Texan
10-11-2012, 06:35 PM
link (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Mercilus-and-Phillips-/cfc93317-17d9-452c-a97c-690d79b93b8a)

Maybe we will see a little of that this week???

thunderkyss
10-11-2012, 09:05 PM

The Reed thing is totally fan based. As far as skills go, he looks like an ILB to me, every bit as much as Cushing did. In a base 4-3, your OLB is usually playing what is termed the Mo in a 3-4, at one time or another, regardless if he's the SAM or the WILL. Usually your SAM will play over the TE, but when he is motioned to the other side, your SAM backs up & lines up over the now weakside guard (MO), the Mike will shift over towards the strongside & the WILL will drop to the line over the TE.

As our SAM, in our 3-4, Reed has been dropping into zones & playing man coverage, there will still be some learning curve, but it's time for someone to step up.

IMO, the idea of moving Reed inside, is to get another dynamic player on the field to replace the dynamic player we are loosing. That's Merci who is not suited to play inside. Barwin is playing Merci's "natural" position, but I don't think he fits well inside, not as quick twitch as Reed, or able to change direction as well (all my opinion of course).

Dobbins is depth, Rudd (Ruud) is depth. Replace Cushing for a few plays... sure. A game..... maybe. But for 11 games, not my first choice.

pec0sb0b
10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I think a lot depends on whether Sharpton can return from the PUP list in a couple of weeks. I don't think he's going to be ready to play until late in November maybe week 10 or 11.

pec0sb0b
10-11-2012, 09:35 PM
With Brian Cushing now on injured reserve, many fans are wondering if the Texans will move one of their top three outside linebackers – Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed or rookie Whitney Mercilus – to inside linebacker.

They won’t.

Asked Thursday if he had given any thought to that idea, Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips responded with a resounding “no” – before the question was even completely finished being asked.

That’s because they’re not inside linebackers, right?

“That’s right,” Phillips said as he walked through the Texans’ locker room at Reliant Stadium.

Simple as that?

“Yeah,” Phillips said. “You don’t take guys that do well at what they do and try to change ‘em into something that they’re not as adept at. But, we’ll work some things out. And like I’ve said, we played OK last week when Cush was gone. Hopefully, we’ll get better.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-not-moving-Mercilus-Reed-Barwin-to-ILB/dc7eff55-5ac0-4b8a-bb87-49e00b4d4bfc

thunderkyss
10-11-2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-not-moving-Mercilus-Reed-Barwin-to-ILB/dc7eff55-5ac0-4b8a-bb87-49e00b4d4bfc
“Yeah,” Phillips said. “You don’t take guys that do well at what they do and try to change ‘em into something that they’re not as adept at.

This is the guy that moved Cushing from an outside player to an inside player. From Mo to Mike, then back to Mo...... is he saying that Cushing wasn't adept at any of those positions & he's still trying to figure out Brian's best position?

76Texan
10-11-2012, 10:52 PM
This is the guy that moved Cushing from an outside player to an inside player. From Mo to Mike, then back to Mo...... is he saying that Cushing wasn't adept at any of those positions & he's still trying to figure out Brian's best position?

When Wade decided to move Cushing to ILB, I agreed.
I believed Cushing can play both, but with his tenacity and speed to play sideline to sideline, having him in the middle as THE ENFORCER brings more to the table.

Rey
10-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Reed at ilb is not just fan based. I can't remember where I heard it, but herring said when they drafted reed they saw him as an ilb or something like that.

I think if The coaches thought merci was ready to play more they'd have been playing him more.

GP
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Reed at ilb is not just fan based. I can't remember where I heard it, but herring said when they drafted reed they saw him as an ilb or something like that.

I think if The coaches thought merci was ready to play more they'd have been playing him more.

See, I think Merciless is stashed as an emergency guy...if they don't have to rush him out there, they won't.

First time in franchise history that we've got that luxury. And I agree with it of that is their thinking.

Plus, it's a deep roster position full of guys who aren't rookies and there's that sneaky rookie-veteran seniority thing going on.

I don't chalk his limited action up to him not being where they want him at the moment.

Rey
10-12-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't chalk his limited action up to him not being where they want him at the moment.

I didn't say that he's not where they want him to be. He could be right on schedule as far as I know.

What I said was they don't think he is ready to help the team more than what he has been.

When Merci was first drafted Wade talked about how they saw him as a guy that could get in the game in passing situation because of his "pass rushing skills". He even talked about maybe having Merci, Barwin, and Reed all on the field together to get "his best players on the field"...

That hasn't been the case. I don't think they've all been out on the field together for any snaps at all. Also, I could be wrong, but just from memory it seems like Merci was playing more earlier in the season but has not been playing as much now. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not and if it is I have no idea what the reason behind that would be. I haven't been seeing him much on special teams either.

But I will say this...The times that I've seen Merci on the field he's looked overmatched and timid. I didn't like the pick at all when we made it, and I still don't like it but I don't ever say that guys can't get better. I don't know what the staff thinks, but IMHO Merci needs to get a lot better if he's going to play and make an impact for this or any NFL team.

76Texan
10-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I didn't say that he's not where they want him to be. He could be right on schedule as far as I know.

What I said was they don't think he is ready to help the team more than what he has been.

When Merci was first drafted Wade talked about how they saw him as a guy that could get in the game in passing situation because of his "pass rushing skills". He even talked about maybe having Merci, Barwin, and Reed all on the field together to get "his best players on the field"...

That hasn't been the case. I don't think they've all been out on the field together for any snaps at all. Also, I could be wrong, but just from memory it seems like Merci was playing more earlier in the season but has not been playing as much now. I'm not sure if that's accurate or not and if it is I have no idea what the reason behind that would be. I haven't been seeing him much on special teams either.

But I will say this...The times that I've seen Merci on the field he's looked overmatched and timid. I didn't like the pick at all when we made it, and I still don't like it but I don't ever say that guys can't get better. I don't know what the staff thinks, but IMHO Merci needs to get a lot better if he's going to play and make an impact for this or any NFL team.

I wonder if Mercilus is nursing a minor injury; the snap counts show a red flag:

Mercilus Barwin Reed
Week Def ST Def ST Def ST
1 16 15 61 2 47 2
2 8 20 41 17 37 2
3 12 20 75 11 75 8
4 15 21 47 8 47 2
5 zero 5 57 10 57 5

pec0sb0b
10-12-2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/10/12/3495188/the-film-room-tim-dobbins-and-bradie-james

Breakdown of Bradie/Dobbins vs. Jets...worth reading.

Home team fan
10-12-2012, 08:24 PM
http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/10/12/3495188/the-film-room-tim-dobbins-and-bradie-james

Breakdown of Bradie/Dobbins vs. Jets...worth reading.

Good read. Thanks

GP
10-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Huh? You said it in one post, I replied, then you re-reply that you didn't say it?

Help me to understand.

CloakNNNdagger
10-12-2012, 09:11 PM
I think a lot depends on whether Sharpton can return from the PUP list in a couple of weeks. I don't think he's going to be ready to play until late in November maybe week 10 or 11.

If he has not recovered from his hip (most likely hip flexor injury which is not uncommonly seen with recovery from quad problem) injury enough to practice by the 9th week (2 weeks after the Bye), we won't see him at all this season.

thunderkyss
10-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Huh? You said it in one post, I replied, then you re-reply that you didn't say it?

Help me to understand.

They're two totally unrelated statements. In one, he is saying the coaches doesn't think he's ready to play more, like maybe they have a cap on say 13 snaps. That's all they think he's ready to play during a game for one reason or another.

His second statement is that that may very well be on schedule or ahead of schedule for all we know. The coaches may be very pleased to get 13 snaps out of him.

Rey
10-13-2012, 04:06 AM
They're two totally unrelated statements. In one, he is saying the coaches doesn't think he's ready to play more, like maybe they have a cap on say 13 snaps. That's all they think he's ready to play during a game for one reason or another.

His second statement is that that may very well be on schedule or ahead of schedule for all we know. The coaches may be very pleased to get 13 snaps out of him.

That's exactly what I was saying.

He could be right on schedule as far as the coaching staff is concerned. But on schedule doesn't have to mean ready for more reps.

Like if you have kids...as they get older you trust them with more things. Just because you arent ready to give them the keys to the car so they can take it for a spin doesn't mean you arent pleased with their maturity level.

b0ng
10-13-2012, 01:22 PM
We'll have to give up a ton to get him I think. To me he's a better prospect than Luke Kuechly and I don't see him falling past the 10-12 range.

I just really loathe the idea of possibly giving up a first in 2013 to move up for a guy. I mean Aaron Curry was supposed to be the safest draft pick like ever, and look what happened there.

Lately the Texans have been perfectly fine with staying pat or even moving backwards slightly in the first round to find the guy that they think will be the most useful. To move into the 10-12 range from the possible high twenties would take a kings ransom and I'm not completely comfortable with that idea.

Here's a great breakdown of James/Dobbins (http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/10/12/3495188/the-film-room-tim-dobbins-and-bradie-james) post Cushing in the Jets game. I feel that this matches what I saw on the field on Monday, and when we saw Dobbins in 2011.

CloakNNNdagger
10-13-2012, 01:50 PM
I just really loathe the idea of possibly giving up a first in 2013 to move up for a guy. I mean Aaron Curry was supposed to be the safest draft pick like ever, and look what happened there.

Lately the Texans have been perfectly fine with staying pat or even moving backwards slightly in the first round to find the guy that they think will be the most useful. To move into the 10-12 range from the possible high twenties would take a kings ransom and I'm not completely comfortable with that idea.

Here's a great breakdown of James/Dobbins (http://www.battleredblog.com/2012/10/12/3495188/the-film-room-tim-dobbins-and-bradie-james) post Cushing in the Jets game. I feel that this matches what I saw on the field on Monday, and when we saw Dobbins in 2011.

Rep coming your way. A great breakdown of Wade's Cushingless adjustment schemes.

powda
10-15-2012, 05:40 AM
How we feeling about james and dobbins after the packers? I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet.

b0ng
10-15-2012, 07:57 AM
How we feeling about james and dobbins after the packers? I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet.

From what I saw in the stands, Wade Phillips put his dudes in Dime formation pretty much the entire game. Most of the times if we had an ILB on the field it was Bradie James, with Glover Quin pretending to be the other ILB. While the Packers really didn't try to run the ball except the occasional "are u playing run dfense? lol" type plays, we didn't really get burned by their TE's or RB's catching passes out of the backfield much. Almost all the damage the Packers seemed to do came on the outside where they had Nelson matched up on JoJo and that seemed like easy money for Rodgers.

As far as that game went, I don't think the drop off from Cushing to James is what killed us on defense. The lack of a consistent pass rush outside of Watt, and JoJo and Quin getting burned repeatedly really did us in.

I haven't watched the TV version of the game though, this is just what I saw half drunk at the stadium.

thunderkyss
10-15-2012, 04:36 PM
As far as that game went, I don't think the drop off from Cushing to James is what killed us on defense. The lack of a consistent pass rush outside of Watt, and JoJo and Quin getting burned repeatedly really did us in.

I haven't watched the TV version of the game though, this is just what I saw half drunk at the stadium.

Don't forget a lack of tackling. If they could have put the guy on the ground on the initial contact, that would have been a totally different game. That includes the guys that got their hands on Rodgers & Rodgers managed to get away & burn us.

Then those two personal fouls there in the third Qtr... sheesh. Usually I don't have a problem with what Manning did. I don't think this is a soft team & don't want them to let anyone think we are. But the Barwin thing..... is that really a personal foul?

The PI on Kj... c'mon, that's a little ticky-tak. I don't have a problem with that as long as they called it both ways, which I didn't see.

When you watch the game again, look at how many times Aaron Rodgers puts the ball over the receivers head, outside, away from the help. That's an amazing grasp of placement. Friggin Troy Aikman like. Not much a DB can do about that.

76Texan
10-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Got to admit, Aaron played light out last night!

76Texan
10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Their RBs combined for 82 yards on 29 carries.
That's 2.83 ave.

We got beat on coverage with the DBs, and not because of the ILB.

CloakNNNdagger
10-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Their RBs combined for 82 yards on 29 carries.
That's 2.83 ave.

We got beat on coverage with the DBs, and not because of the ILB.

Yeh, the LBs were asleep at home for the run.

amazing80
10-15-2012, 05:32 PM

Reed James

That would be our base

Keo James

Nickle

Barwin Smith Watt Reed
Keo James

IDk, something similar

This is what we played almost all night (except Quin was in the box and Nolan was deep instead of Keo), :vincepalm:

lets never do that again

Rey
10-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Why the hell would we bring keo in to play in the box to cover anyones te?

Seriously?

CloakNNNdagger
10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Why the hell would we bring keo in to play in the box to cover anyones te?

Seriously?

The only explanation..........The penny turned up "tails.":kitten:

Texan in Japan
10-15-2012, 10:27 PM
What do you guys think about giving Bryan Braman a chance at ILB? I think he has some unique athletic ability and certainly is a hustler. He can learn the position and hopefully provide us a spark at ILB.

thunderkyss
10-15-2012, 10:45 PM
What do you guys think about giving Bryan Braman a chance at ILB? I think he has some unique athletic ability and certainly is a hustler. He can learn the position and hopefully provide us a spark at ILB.

I like it.

But it doesn't address the problem up front. We need to get the majority of our pressure from the DL. If Braman is in at ILB, we'll have to rush him to get pressure on the QB, like we did with Cushing.

Barwin is playing the position that is designed to get the most QB pressures in this defense & it's just not working. We need an upgrade at that position.

But I still like Barwin, just not at WOLB. I don't want to take him off the field. I'd rather move him to SOLB where I think he is better suited.

But I still Like Reed, don't want to take him off the field. I'd rather move him inside to take Cushing's role. If he comes off the field in nickel situations... then it is what it is.

Let's give Braman some snaps with the 1st team defense at WOLB... or give Merci a few snaps there.

If we can start getting pressure from that spot, I believe everything will open up. He doesn't even have to be a bonafide bad ass, he's just got to get some kind of pressure which Barwin is not.

Jj Watt can't keep this up all season. He can't do it alone. Not against the QBs we're about to see.

Wolf6151
10-16-2012, 12:19 AM

I've been thinking about this as well for the past few days. Braman has the size, speed, quickness, toughness, and attitude for the ILB position. He might have some growing pains in the beginning but the experiment sure couldn't hurt and we need to find a way to get his attitude on the field.

CloakNNNdagger
10-16-2012, 08:08 AM

I've been thinking about this as well for the past few days. Braman has the size, speed, quickness, toughness, and attitude for the ILB position. He might have some growing pains in the beginning but the experiment sure couldn't hurt and we need to find a way to get his attitude on the field.

I think that Braman does have the qualities that could allow him to ease into that position. Some experiments can be considered "off the wall." Under the circumstances, this one could have merit, especially as we should be thinking ahead for the future. A two-headed ILB monster with Cushing next year could be very intriguing.

Rey
10-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Athletically I think Braman can play MLB....I don't know if he can actually play it simply because I haven't seen it....But that's a good idea...

Personally I'd like for both he and merci to spell Brooks and Barwin some but if he can get on the field at MLB I would like that too...

Texan_Bill
10-16-2012, 08:58 AM
*raises hand* Old look, please.

beerlover
10-16-2012, 09:13 AM
I mentioned it in the game thread but the third team defense really hit some people in the mouth & Braman was certainly in that mix. We will see how Texans adjust against Baltimore but if it doesn't get any better expect significant changes after Bye week.

thunderkyss
10-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I mentioned it in the game thread but the third team defense really hit some people in the mouth & Braman was certainly in that mix. We will see how Texans adjust against Baltimore but if it doesn't get any better expect significant changes after Bye week.

I think it's been said earlier. Aaron Rodgers was just on Sunday night, in a zone. I don't think Flacco is going to fare as well. I criticized our pass rush, saying we didn't get pressure on Rodgers, but the truth is that he simply played at another level. He got out of trouble several times & made things happen.

My biggest concern, is who is going to cover Jacoby Jones :evil:? I think we did well last year, Jjo on Torry Smith, Kj on Anquan Boldin, & who ever their third receiver was.

But with Jjo & his issues, & McCain being vertically challenged... we really don't have an answer for two speedy WRs. Sure, Jacoby is probably going to help us out a bit, drop a ball here or there, & hopefully Jjo found magic in the bottle this week.

Then there is Pitta & they throw the ball to Leach a bit too.

rolyat93
10-16-2012, 11:26 AM
Athletically I think Braman can play MLB....I don't know if he can actually play it simply because I haven't seen it....But that's a good idea...

Personally I'd like for both he and merci to spell Brooks and Barwin some but if he can get on the field at MLB I would like that too...

Maybe if Wade would let go of obsession with Bradie James.:kitten:

b0ng
10-16-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm not sure if Braman at ILB is going to be a better option than James or Dobbins (or possibly even Ruud, yeeesh). From what I've seen at TC and preseason games they have him working as an OLB which is a fairly different animal in terms of responsibilities and how to play certain angles. I think he's got the physical traits that you would like, but him just plopping down and learning a different position will probably take significant work that you really don't want him doing OJT in games for, if you get what I'm saying.

Wolf6151
10-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure if Braman at ILB is going to be a better option than James or Dobbins (or possibly even Ruud, yeeesh). From what I've seen at TC and preseason games they have him working as an OLB which is a fairly different animal in terms of responsibilities and how to play certain angles. I think he's got the physical traits that you would like, but him just plopping down and learning a different position will probably take significant work that you really don't want him doing OJT in games for, if you get what I'm saying.

I get what your saying, maybe it's an off season move for next year. I'm just thinking it's football not brain surgery especially at ILB where he's not going to cover anyone, that's for Cushing and our Safeties, or set the edge to redirect a RB, etc... He simply needs to play kill the man with the ball and blitz the QB when told to do so.

amazing80
10-21-2012, 07:41 PM

Reed James

That would be our base

IDk, something similar

Looks like we did this some today and it worked well. We have 2 weeks to get reed comfortable in his new role.

thunderkyss
10-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Looks like we did this some today and it worked well. We have 2 weeks to get reed comfortable in his new role.

Barwin & Reed also switched a few times, putting Barwin at SOLB.... looked good.

Rey
10-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Barwin & Reed also switched a few times, putting Barwin at SOLB.... looked good.

Yep...

I also saw dobbins out there in nickel some instead of bradie james

Corrosion
10-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Yep...

I also saw dobbins out there in nickel some instead of bradie james

Remember me sayinga couple weeks ago .... move Reed to Cushings spot and Mercilus in at OLB ?? :corrosion:

I dont think Reed was "instinctive enough" today , he looked unsure at times in the middle .... but he's probably the most capable player on the roster of doing at least some of what Cushing does from the middle. He was pretty solid when asked to drop into coverage and gives a better rush option than James.

They have two weeks to work in some new wrinkles and get the details ironed out.

Dobbins surprised me with his coverage ability today ..... He always seems to be around the ball.

thunderkyss
10-22-2012, 07:17 AM
Dobbins surprised me with his coverage ability today ..... He always seems to be around the ball.

Agreed. His open field tackle of Ray Rice was nice. & when he robbed Pitta of that reception, knocking the ball out of his hands.... awesome.

drs23
10-22-2012, 12:15 PM
Remember me sayinga couple weeks ago .... move Reed to Cushings spot and Mercilus in at OLB ?? :corrosion:

I dont think Reed was "instinctive enough" today , he looked unsure at times in the middle .... but he's probably the most capable player on the roster of doing at least some of what Cushing does from the middle. He was pretty solid when asked to drop into coverage and gives a better rush option than James.

They have two weeks to work in some new wrinkles and get the details ironed out.

He surprised me as well for the same reason. Dude just has a nose for the ball and looked pretty good in space. Once he gets his hands on ya, ya ain't gettin' away. He looked damn solid.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-22-2012, 12:21 PM

Good call Corrosion!!! Seems like Reed can handle it and he only gets better with more experience.

powda
02-06-2013, 03:01 PM

Go you.

How's that super bowl ring working out? That's right, we didnt get it. Cushing got hurt, predictably our defensive performance declined. What was difficult to foresee here?

powda
02-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Does anyone still feel the need to chastise the skeptical when they're right? Nobody's trying to sh*t on a homers parade...just brining an element of reality to the table. Super bowls are an anomaly and shouldn't be expected even with a good team...so much can go wrong...things have to go wrong unless fate is on your side. Revisiting old threads like this amount to accountability. Do you feel like a dumbass now for being critical of people whom had a realistic approach?

Texanmike02
02-07-2013, 07:02 AM
This is a good point. Additionally, we can only have one ILB on the field in our nickel and dime packages, so whoever is the #2 ILB is not an everydown player.

The only issue for me here is that ILB has consistently been one of the easiest positions to draft. Very few 1st round ILBs turn out to be busts. DTs, on the other hand, are second only to QBs in bust potential. The Texans have not been good at drafting interior lineman.

Best player available

thunderkyss
02-07-2013, 07:41 AM
How's that super bowl ring working out? That's right, we didnt get it. Cushing got hurt, predictably our defensive performance declined. What was difficult to foresee here?

It wasn't that just that Cushing got hurt. It was also that our replacements got hurt. No one is going to win a Super Bowl when you can't start the same ILBs two weeks running. We may have started the same two ILBs two weeks running maybe three times since Cushing got hurt & that's abnormal. That's hard to do & be successful at the same time.

Bradie James is slow to disect & react to the run. That's fine, if Daryl Sharpton is next to him. But if it's Sharpton next to him for one week, Dobbins the next, back to Sharpton, then Ruud the next, then it's Dobbins & Sharpton, Dobbins & Ruud..... you can't watch tape, scheme for your weaknesses, then correct those weaknesses when you're throwing a different player with different weaknesses out there the next week.

It was abnormal to have so many injuries at that position & not something you can plan & scheme to overcome. Then when you add it the injury to Cody, Brooks, & the ineffectiveness of Connor Barwin, you're in a no win situation & you've got to do the best that you can.

We never got stable at that position, hard to recover when you're taking blow after blow, week after week.

powda
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
It was abnormal to have so many injuries at that position & not something you can plan & scheme to overcome. Then when you add it the injury to Cody, Brooks, & the ineffectiveness of Connor Barwin, you're in a no win situation & you've got to do the best that you can.

I agree wholeheartedly, and yet identifying the problem and saying it here midseason means your "not a fan" according to some. I was told just that in this thread for saying there's trouble up ahead. Funny how quiet those people are now.

thunderkyss
02-07-2013, 11:20 AM
I agree wholeheartedly, and yet identifying the problem and saying it here midseason means your "not a fan" according to some. I was told just that in this thread for saying there's trouble up ahead. Funny how quiet those people are now.

Seriously, if it ended with Cushing's injury, it wouldn't have gotten as bad as it did.

I don't know if we'd have won the Super Bowl (chances, not) but we wouldn't have looked as bad.

It's not that Cushing got hurt, at that time, the posters saying, "let's see how it play out" were right.

But his replacement (Dobbins) got hurt. The guy next to him (James) got hurt. The guy who replaced Cushing's replacement (Sharpton) got hurt. We had to sign a guy off the street (Ruud) & he played quite a few snaps. We had to sign a second guy off the street (Alexander) who became part of our awesome STs....

I'm sorry they questioned your "fandom" but you can't come back & say, "I was right" when the back up's back up got hurt.