PDA

View Full Version : All Encompassing Fire Joe Marciano

Ryan
10-08-2012, 10:57 PM
He's got to go. I've never seen a more undisciplined unit on returns and our coverage has now given up two return TDs this season. When multiple players get multiple blocks in the back called per game, that boils down to the coaching. Has to be the most overrated coach we have and I have no idea why he's still employed. You'd think coaching someone to not block in the back would be a day one drill in training camp. Not to mention Holliday is not really helping his case.

Anyway I'm happy with the win, but it's definitely my top complaint from today.

hradhak
10-08-2012, 11:03 PM
He's got to go. I've never seen a more undisciplined unit on returns and our coverage has now given up two return TDs this season. When multiple players get multiple blocks in the back called per game, that boils down to the coaching. Has to be the most overrated coach we have and I have no idea why he's still employed. You'd think coaching someone to not block in the back would be a day one drill in training camp. Not to mention Holliday is not really helping his case.

I agree with you. Holliday has no other job than to return kicks and he hasn't done anything yet. I'm giving them to the bye week. We probably have the worst special teams unit in the NFL

CretorFrigg
10-08-2012, 11:03 PM
I concur. Special teams has been atrocious.

Hervoyel
10-08-2012, 11:04 PM

Yeah, special teams have been in a steady decline for a few years now. At one time the Texans had a very good special teams unit under Marciano but it's been a long time since I've watched a kickoff or return without being scared.

TheMatrix31
10-08-2012, 11:05 PM
It's been awful. Utterly awful. Hate to see the need to fire anyone when the team is 5-0, but it's best to nip this in the bud.

TexanSam
10-08-2012, 11:14 PM
I agree with you. Holliday has no other job than to return kicks and he hasn't done anything yet. I'm giving them to the bye week. We probably have the worst special teams unit in the NFL

Nah, Detroit's is worse. The Thanksgiving game is going to be fun.

houstonspartan
10-08-2012, 11:21 PM
Marciano is the last original Texan we have left, and I've been trying to hold on to that, but, the truth is: he's got to go. Sorry, coach Joe. it's been a great run, we appreciate your work, but we have to move into another direction.

steelbtexan
10-08-2012, 11:34 PM
The answer to the title of this thread is NEEDS TO BE FIRED.

Ever since they changed the wedge rules the PR/KR teams have stunk.

And this doesn't even speak to the stench that are the coverage teams.

Why are Holiday/Keo on the team. They contribute net to nothing.

Ryan
10-08-2012, 11:42 PM

I was gonna make it the "All Encompassing Fire Joe Marciano" thread but i screwed the pooch.

Big Lou
10-08-2012, 11:45 PM

We blocked in the back on like 10 returns per game last year.......

Big Lou
10-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Marciano is the last original Texan we have left, and I've been trying to hold on to that, but, the truth is: he's got to go. Sorry, coach Joe. it's been a great run, we appreciate your work, but we have to move into another direction.

Is there a Wade Phillips of ST's out there?

Ryan
10-08-2012, 11:51 PM
We blocked in the back on like 10 returns per game last year.......

I was aware of it, too. I guess tonight was the final straw.

gtexan02
10-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Our coverage unit is awful.
Our return unit is awful.
Our kickoffs are rarely touchbacks.

The only strength of our game is FGs and punting

rolyat93
10-09-2012, 12:37 AM
Don't forget he drafted that kicker who's shown nothing this year.

TexansFanatic
10-09-2012, 12:39 AM
He's got to go.

I said the same thing earlier tonight. Special teams have been the weak link for a while. Sorry, Joe.

Norg
10-09-2012, 12:49 AM
man i was about to start the *****Offical FIRE Joe Marciano thread *****

Our ST have not only been bad this year but for at least 4 years HE HAS GOT TO GO

dream_team
10-09-2012, 01:13 AM

In all fairness, Keo did recover the onside kick the Jets tried. So he finally did make a contribution this season.

Bulls on Parade
10-09-2012, 01:55 AM
I concur. Special teams has been atrocious.
Agreed. I'm not too pleased at all with our poor Special Teams play all year long. But 5-0 is still 5-0. The offense is going to have to step it up though. Hopefully Ben Tate returns against the Packers and we hang up a 30 or 40-burger during the next two games against the Packers and Ravens. Let's get to 7-0 going into the bye week. Check that, let's get to 8-0 by winning our next three games, which are all at Reliant Stadium against the Packers, Ravens and Bills. Some home town cooking in front of a sold-out, energetic and loud Reliant crowd will carry this team to an 8-0 record halfway to the season. Booyah!

Norg
10-09-2012, 02:06 AM
not only has the coaching been bad put the personal has been bad has well.. whis is dissapointing

Premier
10-09-2012, 04:18 AM
this wasnt a problem last year.. trindon has to go. he doesnt bring anything. hes much better taking a knee and gettin the 20 instead bringing it out to the 9..

ChrisG
10-09-2012, 05:44 AM
this wasnt a problem last year.. trindon has to go. he doesnt bring anything. hes much better taking a knee and gettin the 20 instead bringing it out to the 9..

Not sure if sarcasm, but we had the same problem last year. Jacoby was very similar to Holliday. They both always seem to be a fraction of an inch away from muffing a punt or KO return. They both pose for photos before they start running ( :photos: then :jogger: ). The only difference I have seen so far is that Jacoby costs us a playoff game and Holliday hasn't. Lets hope we make a change before Trindon does

Also kick coverage has been terrible. We need a new KR/PR and ST Coach

LikeMike
10-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Holiday has taken bad decisions... but the coverage team hasnt given him anything to work with. This is on the coach. You still might debate if Holiday with his bad decisions is worth a rosterspot, but you shouldnt debate based on his bad production.

speedfreek
10-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Trindon looked good in camp because he was returning against our weak kick coverage team. That's why everyone on the ST coaching staff thought he was special.

TJ

Rey
10-09-2012, 07:08 AM
I'm not going to put this all on Joe.

I think some of this is more on the players he has to work with.

I think special teams were better in pre season when he had all those guys we cut out there.

Thorn
10-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Special teams are horrid, putrid, terrible. It's a frigging wonder we are 5-0 with the special teams we have. The frigging kicker seems fairly decent with his FGs, but can't kick the goddamned ball off for any distance. Return teams can't return or stop the return.

It's just plain terrible.

steelbtexan
10-09-2012, 07:49 AM
The thing that gets me is,

Coach Joe drafts Bullock and the Rams draft the best K I have seen come out of college in a while. Zuerlien (SP?) That guy has a Sea Bass type leg and is super accurate.

Thorn
10-09-2012, 07:55 AM

Coach Joe drafts Bullock and the Rams draft the best K I have seen come out of college in a while. Zuerlien (SP?) That guy has a Sea Bass type leg and is super accurate.

and the guy we did draft couldn't kick anything either. Yeah, yeah, he was injured. He still couldn't kick it past the goal line on kickoffs anymore than the clown we have now.

10-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Trindon looked good in camp because he was returning against our weak kick coverage team. That's why everyone on the ST coaching staff thought he was special.

TJ

I think Trindon made the team because of his stellar preseason play. However, I'm cringing on every return so far in the regular season.

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
As others have said, Marciano/the return game hasn't been the same since the wedge was outlawed. Marciano hasn't been able to adapt, and thus we return game has been in decline.

HJam72
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
As others have said, Marciano/the return game hasn't been the same since the wedge was outlawed. Marciano hasn't been able to adapt, and thus we return game has been in decline.

Marciano needs to be replaced and that is one reason why.

gtexan02
10-09-2012, 10:06 AM

This really gets me too. Scouting a kicker can not be that difficult.
"Ok, both of you kick off"

Whoever kicks it farther is the winner. We had to know that Bullock couldn't get many TBs

This Zuerlein kid is 100% and already has a 60 yarder under his belt in his rookie year

Double Barrel
10-09-2012, 10:22 AM
I was gonna make it the "All Encompassing Fire Joe Marciano" thread but i screwed the pooch.

Fixed it for you. I thought about starting this same thread last night after Holliday was unable to get it to the 20 yard line over and over again. It reminds me of Einstein's definition of insanity.

buddyboy
10-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Don't forget he drafted that kicker who's shown nothing this year.

He's injured.

speedfreek
10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
At this point,

I'd rather have this Marciano:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Marciano

TJ

NastyNate
10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
It's just frustrating watching our offense have to start every drive from the 16 yard line. Joe has got to go. I would love to see Manning return kickoffs again. He brought it.

DRP
10-09-2012, 09:43 PM
A change needs to be made before our SP/T cost us a game.

rolyat93
10-09-2012, 11:53 PM
He's injured.

He wasn't winning the job.

ArlingtonTexan
10-10-2012, 12:04 AM
coach Joe has been just okay at best for most of his tenure here. I said something similiar a few years back and seems like a couple of dudes jumped all over me.

Special teams coaches always seemed like the gypsies of the NFL never around for more than a couple of years.

Scooter
10-10-2012, 12:11 AM
i'll just quote myself from earlier this year ...

it's been talked about for no less than 2 (going on 3) years now. everybody loves coach joe, i certainly do. he needs to be replaced however, as i unpopularly said last year. we have too much talent thrown into our ST unit to be mediocre at best (and a spectacular failure today).

Kaiser Toro
10-10-2012, 07:42 AM
He has had to go since 2007.

buddyboy
10-10-2012, 08:29 AM
He wasn't winning the job.

Because he was kicking while injured...

Perki-Perk
10-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Because he was kicking while injured...

I think we just need to blow it all up and tank!!! :kitten:

Norg
10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
i swer to u our ST will cost us a game this season weather it be punts returns or Punting or Kicking

houstonspartan
10-10-2012, 02:40 PM
i swer to u our ST will cost us a game this season weather it be punts returns or Punting or Kicking

Yep. I can see that happening. It won't be as bad as Kris Brown in the later years (when he cost us multiple games) but I can see ST blowing a game for us this year at some point.

TexansBlood
10-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Well Holliday is gone, I wished they would of fired Joe Marciano and stayed with Trinton till atleast the bye. Trinton was not looking good at all but I wish him the best.

Rey
10-10-2012, 04:15 PM
I called out Joe Marciano a few years ago....

I'm not impressed with the work he is doing...

TejasTom
10-10-2012, 07:47 PM
I called out Joe Marciano a few years ago....

I'm not impressed with the work he is doing...

I was right there with you, my post below after the 2010 season.

I think think the defense being historically bad has overshadowed how bad special teams were...

Punt Distance 26th
Punt Coverage 10th

Kick Distance 9th
Kick Coverage 26th

Kick Return 27th
Punt Return 29th

Field postion was terrible all year for both sides of the ball. Improving this will help our defense and offense.

kiwitexansfan
10-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Jones seems to be doing a reasonable job of directing his punts, he is probably our brightest spot on special teams. Our coverage isn't awful.

Our return game seems to be terri-bad and constantly giving up penalties.

CretorFrigg
10-14-2012, 09:50 PM
Reviving this.

Special teams is once again...atrocious. Martin's a better returner than Holliday, but the blocks still aren't there.

And we still can't cover kickoffs. Get rid of Marciano. His time is over.

eriadoc
10-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Firing Marciano would be like firing Chris Palmer two weeks into the 2005 season. It might make you feel good, but it won't substantially change a thing. The guy calling the shots keeps the guy employed. The guy calling the shots knows what the deficiencies are and has given his vote of confidence to Marciano.

Mr. Texan
10-14-2012, 10:13 PM
so it wasn't all on holiday....

he has to get canned after this season

Rey
10-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Marciano's special teams have sucked for a while now.

eriadoc
10-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Marciano's special teams have sucked for a while now.

Long enough that the guy in charge should have made a change, huh?

Luv_ya_blue
10-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Brahman's blocked punt and TD will be more than enough for the leadership to justify keeping him on.

Rey
10-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Long enough that the guy in charge should have made a change, huh?

I'm not a huge kubiak fan overall, but I thought this team could win in spite of his suspect play calling.

I don't think he takes advantage of the offensive talent he has.

eriadoc
10-14-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm not a huge kubiak fan overall, but I thought this team could win in spite of his suspect play calling.

I don't think he takes advantage of the offensive talent he has.

The team can win in spite of him, as long as they're playing the Dolphins, Jags, and Titans of the league. They'll jump up and win a big one now and again, just like any team. But when the big moments come, he doesn't seem to have the instinct to make the right calls enough of the time. The pass to AJ a couple weeks back for the key first down to close the game out is the sort of thing a coach has to do sometimes. Kubiak doesn't do it often enough, but he puts himself in position to need to be able to do it more often.

And as you said above, the ST play has been bad for a while. Some have pointed out that Marciano never adjusted to the wedge being outlawed. I can't say I disagree with that. So it falls on Kubiak to make that evaluation every offseason and after every game and make adjustments as needed. So far, he's made the same adjustments he made with Richard Smith and Frank Bush. He's going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into making the decision that has to be made. That's a crap head coach.

Maddict5
10-14-2012, 10:41 PM
blocked a punt for a td....marciano for president!

Mr. Texan
11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
:deadhorse

Dishman
11-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Trindon Holiday with a kickoff return for TD today for the Broncos. :kitten:

Joeycharp89
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM

He also has a turnover with the Broncos. Boom or bust. I liked Keyshawn Martin today, and I haven't seen him muff a kick-off/punt recently.

pappy
11-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Well Holliday is gone, I wished they would of fired Joe Marciano and stayed with Trinton till atleast the bye. Trinton was not looking good at all but I wish him the best.

Wanna take that back now due ya ?

Norg
11-04-2012, 04:47 PM
our ST was so bad today 2 flags

our punter isnt that good

FG blocked

and reciving and punting team both were average KEO was decent today tho which is shocking

Ryan
11-04-2012, 04:48 PM
our ST was so bad today 2 flags

our punter isnt that good

FG blocked

and reciving and punting team both were average KEO was decent today tho which is shocking

Donnie Jones has been the lone bright spot on our ST unit. Him and maybe Braman.

Wow, i'm actually responding to a Norg post. :mariopalm:

Norg
11-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Naaa i dont see it D jones is prob a below average Punter when ranked with the rest of the leauge prob like 24 outta the 32 punters

TheIronDuke
11-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Naaa i dont see it D jones is prob a below average Punter when ranked with the rest of the leauge prob like 24 outta the 32 punters

As usual, you'd be completely wrong.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/punting

rolyat93
11-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Graham has such a weak leg. Lowest% of touchbacks in the league. Texans hovering around the the bottom of the league in ST. Joe's gotta go.

Hervoyel
11-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm ready to see the Texans try something else. Joe is not getting it done. Our special teams are atrocious. I'm watching the Steelers right now and their return game is unbelievably amazing compared to the steaming turd we run out there every week.

CretorFrigg
11-04-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm ready to see the Texans try something else. Joe is not getting it done. Our special teams are atrocious. I'm watching the Steelers right now and their return game is unbelievably amazing compared to the steaming turd we run out there every week.

I'm really dreading next week. The Bears have one of the best special teams in the league, and we're the worst. It's not going to be a good matchup. We can't make any mistakes next week.

CloakNNNdagger
11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
COACH JOE
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Jzrpcp3h-yE/R7J70YW4e7I/AAAAAAAAAC0/KUJnk1NaT3A/s320/pink+slip.jpg

SCOTTexans
11-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Ugh... We give the 7th most return yards out of all teams... and the bills give up the most return yards out of any team... I thought Martin looked good today but if that was against the worst punting team. We still need alot of help

gtexan02
11-04-2012, 06:55 PM

Total punting yards is not indicative of a succesful punter. Its just a punter who punts a lot.

We are 14th in average punt distance and 19th in average net

TheIronDuke
11-04-2012, 07:52 PM
Total punting yards is not indicative of a succesful punter. Its just a punter who punts a lot.

We are 14th in average punt distance and 19th in average net

Here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/grossAvgPuntYards

Donnie Jones is 13th in the league in average, better than "below average" as the person I corrected was saying. Our freaking punting game is the last part of ST I'm concerned with.

Corrosion
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/punting/sort/grossAvgPuntYards

Donnie Jones is 13th in the league in average, better than "below average" as the person I corrected was saying. Our freaking punting game is the last part of ST I'm concerned with.

Actual punting isnt the problem , Jones has been solid.

The issue is coverage on both punt and kickoff returns.

Marciano .... may or may not be the problem , Im at a loss as to why they have been so poor in coverage.

Sure would be nice to have a kicker who could kick off a little longer .... Kickoff's have been abyssmal in distance and coverage. League Worst I believe.

silvrhand
11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Funny Trindon Holliday looked good.. but yet on another teams KR team.. he ran one back for 105 yard or so touchdown this weekend.

Sorry Joe time for a change, we need better special teams play.

GP
11-05-2012, 09:02 AM
He won't fire him. He knows ST will never cost his team ENOUGH to warrant it.

Kubiak will never fire Joe Marciano. So deal with it now, rather than later.

Scooter
11-05-2012, 09:49 AM
mcmannis blocked a punt yesterday for the bears, while holiday returns a kickoff 105 yards for touchdown. the texans on the other hand were a series of procedure errors and marginal execution. the problem isnt talent.

HOU-TEX
11-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Funny Trindon Holliday looked good.. but yet on another teams KR team.. he ran one back for 105 yard or so touchdown this weekend.

Yeah, but goofed on another return shortly thereafter. He watched a ball bounce inside their 5 without doing anything. It took someone else to run over there and fall on the ball while Holliday still watched.

Then again, Martin pulled a boner too yesterday.

Corrosion
11-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Tricycle also looked pretty damn bad on several occasions playing for that same team he ran one back for.

With him , its much like Jacoby Jones - Feast or Famine.

Joe still needs to go. He's got 4-5 well above average ST players and isnt getting anything out of the rest of his charges. If not for Ball , Keo , Demps and Braman .... They might just have to kick them all out of bounds.

Extra credit should go to Ball and Braman .... they have been in beast mode on ST all season.

Cjeremy635
11-05-2012, 10:46 AM

There was a guy that called into the post-game show on 610 yesterday. He brought up that he wanted Kubiak fired because he cut Trindon and Trindon had a return for a TD. I was like WTF? The guy said that it showed that Kubiak had no eye for talent and didn't know how to utilize people.

Trindon was given EVERY chance to excel on this team. He did great when the games didn't count, but he crumbled under pressure when it mattered most. I was happy to see him go and I still stand by that.

Now, my main gripe is our weak a$$ kick offs and field goals. I'm not happy with the leg strength at all. Yes, we haven't missed many field goals, but I feel we're screwed if we need a 52 yarder to win the game. On kick offs, I have no idea why we have someone who repeatedly doesn't kick it into the end zone. Is that by design or is his leg just that weak? Someone let me know because it's driving me crazy.

Double Barrel
11-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Wow, i'm actually responding to a Norg post. :mariopalm:

Please, share with us the knowledge of decipherment. :um:

He won't fire him. He knows ST will never cost his team ENOUGH to warrant it.

Never say never. In spite of Kubiak's image, I think he can be cold blooded when required. I do not see Marciano on staff in 2013.

:fortune:

Cjeremy635
11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Please, share with us the knowledge of decipherment. :um:

Never say never. In spite of Kubiak's image, I think he can be cold blooded when required. I do not see Marciano on staff in 2013.

:fortune:

I don't either. He knows that ST is the weakest link on the team and has been declining. I see a change coming at the end of the season unless there's some drastic turn around.

disaacks3
11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
There was a guy that called into the post-game show on 610 yesterday. He brought up that he wanted Kubiak fired because he cut Trindon and Trindon had a return for a TD. I was like WTF? The guy said that it showed that Kubiak had no eye for talent and didn't know how to utilize people.
Trindon was given EVERY chance to excel on this team. He did great when the games didn't count, but he crumbled under pressure when it mattered most. I was happy to see him go and I still stand by that.

I heard the call on the drive hime from the game and had two immediate thoughts.

1. The caller didn't understand how much leeway Trindon was given. He was nuts.

2. The "Homer" 610 group all blah-blah'd about how bad can they be, since we're 7-1. If the brain trust at 610 can't see the problems, they aren't watching the same game I am.

beerlover
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Texans will face the best special teams unit in Chicago against da Bears next Sunday night. Difference in the game, most likely. Dave Toub is the best SP teams coach out there http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/Dave-Toub/2409c6f0-4be6-4507-a9c4-5c72aefe9fd4 just a guess but having the respect & confidence of your players is huge. Joe may have run out of supporters? We will see the disparity on the field if it costs Texans the game then I'm in, until then I will give him one more shot to rally his troops to see if players still listen :specnatz:

Double Barrel
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM
I cannot listen to local sports radio when they let morons blather their idiotic thoughts.

At least with a forum, you can call dipshats out and reply to their nonsense. With radio, they are more concerned with ratings than actually putting out a good product. I'd bet that 90% of callers should never get airtime.

I'd rather listen to music I like than dumbasses that I do not respect. :brando:

Cjeremy635
11-05-2012, 11:14 AM
I heard the call on the drive hime from the game and had two immediate thoughts.

1. The caller didn't understand how much leeway Trindon was given. He was nuts.

2. The "Homer" 610 group all blah-blah'd about how bad can they be, since we're 7-1. If the brain trust at 610 can't see the problems, they aren't watching the same game I am.

YES! I see nothing wrong with pointing out the pink elephant in the room. It's a weak spot that needs to get fixed before it costs us a game. At some point it will come down to special teams and I don't have a lot of faith in ours. We give up too many yards and that will hurt you in the long run. Anyone should be able to see that.

Speedy
11-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Now, my main gripe is our weak a$$ kick offs and field goals. I'm not happy with the leg strength at all. Yes, we haven't missed many field goals, but I feel we're screwed if we need a 52 yarder to win the game. On kick offs, I have no idea why we have someone who repeatedly doesn't kick it into the end zone. Is that by design or is his leg just that weak? Someone let me know because it's driving me crazy.

I don't know if it was by design or not but the Texans were allowing 26.4 yards per return going into the game and held the Bills (who were #1 going into the game with 30.8 per return) to 13 yards per return with an average start at the 26 yard line. That's a definite improvement from what I've seen the first 7 games.

If it was by design, I thought it was awfully damn risky to be allowing the Bills #1 return team opportunities like that. It worked - this time, and I'll take it of course, but this is something that worries me.

rolyat93
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Kubiak will never fire Frank Bush either right?:kitten:

TackHammer
11-05-2012, 01:39 PM
After watching Trindon take one to the house the other day I have to blame Marciano for the suck that our ST are.
All Trindon needed was some blocking.

Exascor
11-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Marciano has never done anything special imo. In previous years the Texans have been OK in ST. He doesn't get much input into what players get drafted/signed. He has to make due with the players he gets. What he can do is make sure that coverage teams are excellent and return units are at least solid. This year, he has failed. After we win in New Orleans, he can retire and maybe we can get some fresh, young coach to take over special teams in 2013.

Dutchrudder
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
With the way Holliday stuck around on the team for as long as he did, I kind of wonder if Marciano was the reason we kept Jacoby for all those years.

Hookem Horns
11-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Thank gawd there is some weakness on this team. If not this board just would not be the same without the obligatory "All Encompassing Fire (insert name here)" thread.

Cjeremy635
11-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Thank gawd there is some weakness on this team. If not this board just would not be the same without the obligatory "All Encompassing Fire (insert name here)" thread.

Word.

:clap:

SCOTTexans
11-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Both Holliday and Jacoby both had return TDs today....

Lady.Gaga.3000
11-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Both Holliday and Jacoby both had return TDs today....

I was just going to mention that! Jacoby is beasting on KR. Holliday is also amazing in his few weeks at Denver.

Lady.Gaga.3000
11-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Why would we even take a risk of running a kick off return back in rain when we can't do it in perfect 76 degree climate? I haven't been on the fire Joe bandwagon yet but this is just stupid.

CretorFrigg
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
This is atrocious. Was that an onside kick or a squib kick? Fire Marciano. Anyone is better than him at this point .

Hervoyel
11-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I was just going to mention that! Jacoby is beasting on KR. Holliday is also amazing in his few weeks at Denver.

Jacoby's issues are at WR. Finding a guy to returns kicks is not hard to do. We've had a few here that were exceptional in just 10 years. Organizing the other 10 guys on the receiving team into a unit that can block for that guy is tough.

I don't care if Jacoby runs back two or three more this year for the Ravens. I wouldn't want him anywhere near my teams locker room.

Wolf
11-11-2012, 10:45 PM
I am to the point of having the kick returner just kneel the dang ball and let the offense start at the 20

GP
11-11-2012, 10:47 PM
Punt and kickoff coverage tonight.....I think the bad conditions saved our asses.

ChampionTexan
11-11-2012, 10:52 PM
I refuse to believe there's anyway coach Joe will be back as ST coach. He may not get fired - he may retire, or get kicked upstairs (either of which would be absolutely okay with me), but when you've got Graham squib kicking every kick, that's gotta be a clue a change is in order (The other clue is when it worked better than kicking it off regularly- well, most of the time).

I've said this before - Coach Joe means a lot to this franchise, and he should be treated accordingly, but he absolutely can't be the Texans Special Teams coach in 2013.

utahmark
11-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Punt and kickoff coverage tonight.....I think the bad conditions saved our asses.

We are basically a dome team and went into Chicago and played on their field in their conditions that they are used to and you think that somehow that helped us to win the game?

GP
11-11-2012, 10:57 PM
We are basically a dome team and went into Chicago and played on their field in their conditions that they are used to and you think that somehow that helped us to win the game?

This is a thread about SPECIAL TEAMS.

And yes, I think if this was a beautiful evening in pristine conditions, the Bears special teams could have done great damage to ours. No question. They are difference makers in every form and fashion.

Do you follow football? Do you not know how extraordinary the Bears are on ST and how polar opposite bad we are on ST?

Yeah, it was a big helping hand to have a sloppy track out there.

utahmark
11-11-2012, 11:03 PM
This is a thread about SPECIAL TEAMS.

And yes, I think if this was a beautiful evening in pristine conditions, the Bears special teams could have done great damage to ours. No question. They are difference makers in every form and fashion.

Do you follow football? Do you not know how extraordinary the Bears are on ST and how polar opposite bad we are on ST?

Yeah, it was a big helping hand to have a sloppy track out there.

No... I just been coming here and posting for the last 10 years for the heck of it.

Our special teams got outplayed just like they do every week. We won the game just like we do every week.

GP
11-11-2012, 11:06 PM
No... I just been coming here and posting for the last 10 years for the heck of it.

Our special teams got outplayed just like they do every week. We won the game just like we do every week.

Yeah, since this a whopping blowout right? 13-6 on the road, no chance for special teams to play a role right?

Go find someone else to **** talk to.

utahmark
11-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Yeah, since this a whopping blowout right? 13-6 on the road, no chance for special teams to play a role right?

Go find someone else to **** talk to.

You were talking about a nice clear field on a clear day? I think we win by more than 7 points in that situation. You change the rules of your argument after every post. Then you **** me, after you had already insulted my football intelligence. You dont want to talk about football now..... do you?

Norg
11-11-2012, 11:47 PM
just so yall know ST does not just cover punt returners

its punting and reciving blocking and tackling

its the Punter and FG kicker

Its extra points teams

etc etc etc

houstonspartan
11-12-2012, 12:13 AM
I refuse to believe there's anyway coach Joe will be back as ST coach. He may not get fired - he may retire, or get kicked upstairs (either of which would be absolutely okay with me), but when you've got Graham squib kicking every kick, that's gotta be a clue a change is in order (The other clue is when it worked better than kicking it off regularly- well, most of the time).

I've said this before - Coach Joe means a lot to this franchise, and he should be treated accordingly, but he absolutely can't be the Texans Special Teams coach in 2013.

Yes, Joe means a lot to this team; but, that doesn't mean she shouldn't be fired. The options you presented - allowing him to retire and be kicked upstairs - implies that those are the only two options to give him a respectable exit. That's not true.

Yes, he should be respected. Doing so would mean NOT firing him during the season. An employee can be fired with respect. Especially in football.

I like Coach Joe for sentimental reasons of being the last original Texan, but, that's about it. He should be treated like any other employee, and an honorable, respectable firing at the end of the season would be fair.

ChampionTexan
11-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Yes, Joe means a lot to this team; but, that doesn't mean she shouldn't be fired. The options you presented - allowing him to retire and be kicked upstairs - implies that those are the only two options to give him a respectable exit. That's not true.

Yes, he should be respected. Doing so would mean NOT firing him during the season. An employee can be fired with respect. Especially in football.

I like Coach Joe for sentimental reasons of being the last original Texan, but, that's about it. He should be treated like any other employee, and an honorable, respectable firing at the end of the season would be fair.

Never said he couldn't (or even shouldn't) be fired. I consciously used the words "may not" as opposed to will not. Different teams have different modus operandi, and while saying thank you and goodbye to Coach Joe can certainly be done in a respectful manner, it just wouldn't surprise me to see ownership handle it a little bit differently.

Corrosion
11-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Get him outa here .... and take that liquored up kicker with him , cant kick it into the damn endzone.

ItsMyFault
11-12-2012, 03:20 AM
I'm going to say it again... Special Teams COULD cost the Texans in the playoffs. There aren't going to be any easy wins in the playoffs, so it'll come down to things like special teams. I'm not sure what the Texans can do at this point for special teams. As long as they're winning, they're not going to fire this asswipe. Jacoby and Trindon, as much as you want to make them out to be careless, are doing things on other special teams. This jack ass just doesn't have it when it comes to developing special teams. Have to make some kind of change, we also need a new goddamn kicker/punter.

TexanSam
11-12-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm going to say it again... Special Teams COULD cost the Texans in the playoffs. There aren't going to be any easy wins in the playoffs, so it'll come down to things like special teams. I'm not sure what the Texans can do at this point for special teams. As long as they're winning, they're not going to fire this asswipe. Jacoby and Trindon, as much as you want to make them out to be careless, are doing things on other special teams. This jack ass just doesn't have it when it comes to developing special teams. Have to make some kind of change, we also need a new goddamn kicker/punter.

I think kicker and punter are fine for this season. Graham has been solid and Jones has been very good until yesterday. I keep hoping the they sign Hartman just so he can do the kickoffs. I think they could afford to drop a ST/depth player for a kicking specialist.

TimeKiller
11-12-2012, 07:01 AM
I don't think it's Marciano's fault that Graham can't kick a damn kickoff into the endzone, even from the 40 or wherever the kick starts now. Last year we saw our first K drafted (and look how well that turned out lol) how about a P this year?

gwallaia
11-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Panthers fire their Special Teams Coach.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8623916/brian-murphy-fired-carolina-panthers-special-teams-coordinator

Scooter
11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
what's hartmann doing these days? is he still recovering?

Big Lou
11-12-2012, 03:12 PM

I think he still has a 4 game Ritalin suspension.

kiwitexansfan
11-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Our kicking/coverage game seems ok. Graham's leg strength still concerns me though.

It is our return game that is the BIG concern.

You can't blame the talent because Jacoby and Holliday are having big years elsewhere.

infantrycak
11-12-2012, 03:27 PM
You can't blame the talent because Jacoby and Holliday are having big years elsewhere.

That is part of why you can blame the talent. Those guys are 1 of 11. Here they were getting crap blocking with actually some pretty good returns which then were called back like Martin's this weekend for penalties. Some of that is coaching and some of that is players screwing up.

gwallaia
11-12-2012, 05:29 PM
As long as they're winning, they're not going to fire this asswipe. Jacoby and Trindon, as much as you want to make them out to be careless, are doing things on other special teams.

NFL admits Holiday's return should not have counted. He celebrated and tossed the ball before crossing the goal line! Should have been a touch back and the Panther's ball at the 20.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094174/article/nfl-trindon-holliday-td-for-denver-broncos-a-mistake

ChampionTexan
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
NFL admits Holiday's return should not have counted. He celebrated and tossed the ball before crossing the goal line! Should have been a touch back and the Panther's ball at the 20.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000094174/article/nfl-trindon-holliday-td-for-denver-broncos-a-mistake

That doesn't matter one bit. This is less about Trindon (or Jacoby) and more about what the other 10 guys on the field are doing to assist them. Negating the TD (as should have been done) wouldn't have changed things one bit.

gwallaia
11-12-2012, 06:10 PM
I understand that. I just think it was funny.

GP
11-12-2012, 06:20 PM

Doubt they'd bring him back.

Initially was suspended for 3 games...then the league tacked on several more games because the league said he lied on some sort of questioning procedure.

I would think Kubiak wouldn't risk the position by dropping DJ and adding Hartmann. Might get one last shot in camp 2013, maybe.

Corrosion
11-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't think it's Marciano's fault that Graham can't kick a damn kickoff into the endzone, even from the 40 or wherever the kick starts now. Last year we saw our first K drafted (and look how well that turned out lol) how about a P this year?

I dont think its Marciano's fault either .... But the coverage teams have been lacking , especially on kickoffs , guy's not holding their lanes and things of that nature. That is his fault.

Blocking on kickoff and punt returns has left a lot to be desired too .... Special teams just havent been very special all around.

Graham wasnt kicking them exceptionally deep early in the season or even in preseason .... But he's gotten worse as the year has gone along. So bad now that they'd rather squib kick and concede at least the 25 yardline , often more.

I wonder if he's got a nagging injury we dont know about.

For me to be saying this as a longtime supporter of Marciano .... should carry significant weight.

Dutchrudder
11-12-2012, 06:40 PM
I dont think its Marciano's fault either .... But the coverage teams have been lacking , especially on kickoffs , guy's not holding their lanes and things of that nature. That is his fault.

Blocking on kickoff and punt returns has left a lot to be desired too .... Special teams just havent been very special all around.

Graham wasnt kicking them exceptionally deep early in the season or even in preseason .... But he's gotten worse as the year has gone along. So bad now that they'd rather squib kick and concede at least the 25 yardline , often more.

For me to be saying this as a longtime supporter of Marciano .... should carry significant weight.

I'm not sure, but I think they might have been doing the squib kicks because of the weather. Either they were avoiding a bad kick, a long return, or hoping that the Bears would fumble the bouncing ball, I don't think that will be the norm going forward. If they do that next week, I'll be worried.

GP
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
They squib kicked one long, squib kicked one short...punted out of bounds, pinned him to sideline.

Nothing the same way twice, to keep him and their ST off balance.

I noticed Donnie, when punting, took a pause between catching the snap and the first step or so. As if he was giving the coverage guys just a split second more time to get down the field. Anybody notice that? Every single punt. I don't recall him doing that prior to last night.

Cjeremy635
11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
They squib kicked one long, squib kicked one short...punted out of bounds, pinned him to sideline.

I noticed Donnie, when punting, took a pause between catching the snap and the first step or so. As if he was giving the coverage guys just a split second more time to get down the field. Anybody notice that? Every single punt. I don't recall him doing that prior to last night.

I didn't notice the pause. If there was one, I would attribute it more to making sure he had a grip on that wet ball before kicking it. Last night was the first crappy weather game we've played in this year, IIRC.

steelbtexan
11-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Spot On

Not very special is putting it kindly.

ST's have been terrible.

They were the biggest single factor in the Packers blowing out the Texans and have been horrible all season. The best we can hope for is that by playoff time the ST's can atleast become avg.

Wolf
11-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Yep saw that and mentioned on the day thread. Seemed a deliberate second or so wait before kicking (in my eyes) however it was for sure when there was not much of a rush coming at him

ObsiWan
11-14-2012, 06:08 AM
I didn't notice the pause. If there was one, I would attribute it more to making sure he had a grip on that wet ball before kicking it. Last night was the first crappy weather game we've played in this year, IIRC.

This makes more sense to me. Kick/punt coverage is about timing. They practice getting that timing down over and over and over. If the punter waits too long to get the kick away, he risks drawing a penalty for illegal man down field. But I can see him taking an extra half sec to make sure he's got a good grip on the ball before kicking.

Mr. Texan
12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
:kitten:

CretorFrigg
12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Bump.

SCOTTexans
12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
I think everyone can agree with this....

Playoffs
01-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Why am I seeing other teams hire ST Coaches and only hearing this

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/psdlakerland2.gif
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/psdlakerland2.gifhttp://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/psdlakerland2.gif

from the Texans offices??? :foottap:

steelbtexan
01-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Why am I seeing other teams hire ST Coaches and only hearing this

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/psdlakerland2.gif
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/psdlakerland2.gifhttp://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z213/LittleLady718/psdlakerland2.gif

from the Texans offices??? :foottap:

Because it's BoB's way.

We're so close. LOL

Meanwhile the good ST's coaches Toub for example is being snatched up. Wonder if Gary would even consider giving Westhoff a call. That guy has been an elite ST's coach for yrs.

Naww!!!! Gary doesn't want to rock the boat. There's utopia in the Texans world.

El Tejano
01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Marciano hasn't been fired yet???

TejasTom
01-16-2013, 01:25 PM
One of my fears is that special team play was good enough in NE game to get Joe another year.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

Rey
01-16-2013, 01:30 PM
I think that NE game saved Marciano.

But you do have to wonder if the returners (trindon included) just werent getting it done back there since manning was able to bust two big ones with relative eased. He looked like he reads it better and is more patient that the other guys we've put back there.

GP
01-16-2013, 02:32 PM
One of my fears is that special team play was good enough in NE game to get Joe another year.

That was my fear the moment Manning busted the two returns. The first return made me go "Hmmm..." the second return I went "Aww sheesh, I know what happens now."

But honestly, I think the guy's job was safe AND IS safe no matter what.

It's The Kubiak Way. If you're on the Kubiak Express, if your ticket is punched, you get to ride the whole way. No stops, no layovers. You're IN.

Jules Winnfield
01-16-2013, 03:12 PM
texan season ticket holders should sue mcnair for assault if marciano is back next year.

Norg
01-17-2013, 12:47 AM
I bet it just urks the texans to have let go both J jones and holiday whos decesion was that anywayz RIck or did JOe have input ???????? and how bad there ST have been

MAN how does JOe have a job right now HE SHOULD BE FIRED TODAY RIGHT NOW any news on this ...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When does Mcnair usually Fire coaches ..????

steelbtexan
01-17-2013, 12:50 AM
That was my fear the moment Manning busted the two returns. The first return made me go "Hmmm..." the second return I went "Aww sheesh, I know what happens now."

It's The Kubiak Way. If you're on the Kubiak Express, if your ticket is punched, you get to ride the whole way. No stops, no layovers. You're IN.

Sad but true.

How did Wade get hired?

He was an outsider.

Ryan
01-17-2013, 08:46 AM
Sad but true.

How did Wade get hired?

He was an outsider.

Uncle Bob demanded it.

disaacks3
01-17-2013, 09:30 AM
It would be stupid not to. He gives you the best chance to win.

If Hartman and Bullock aren't our starters next year I will be dissapointed. Hartman sued the team, I'd be real surprised if he's back. Bullock I expect to be the starter.

Rey
01-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Hartman sued the team, I'd be real surprised if he's back. Bullock I expect to be the starter.

He didn't sue the team. It was the company in charge of the field. Not the actual texans organization.

dream_team
01-17-2013, 10:05 AM

I don't know... we had no problems firing Rich Smith & Frank Bush. From his last press conference and the Kubiak Show, he sounded very unhappy how special teams performed this season. I'd bet Marciano's days are almost over.

IDEXAN
01-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Met Marciano's brother and sister-n-law at a sports bar named "the Pub" at the MC hotel in Vegas over the past weekend. Real nice couple.

DBCooper
01-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Has this clown been fired yet?

gary
01-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Joe is very nice I first met him at training camp in 2002. He has a special needs child and always comes over to me at practice and talks.

silvrhand
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Joe is very nice I first met him at training camp in 2002. He has a special needs child and always comes over to me at practice and talks.

Gary, lots of people are nice and have great families and are great people, but we also need someone that's a good special teams coach. We are struggling on special teams now for at least 2 years.

He needs to pick it up or we need a new coach.

rolyat93
01-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Sad but true.

How did Wade get hired?

He was an outsider.

All it took was one of the worst defensive seasons in history.:kitten:

DBCooper
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM

I wasn't speaking about the man himself, Gary, just his coaching abilities, or more specifically his inability to adapt to today's game.

Norg
01-18-2013, 01:29 AM
is this dude fired yet

a good special teams is the biggest need on this team IMO look what happend to San deigo that one year bad ST cost them the entire season

ObsiWan
01-18-2013, 02:32 AM

I think that NE game saved Marciano.

But you do have to wonder if the returners (trindon included) just werent getting it done back there since manning was able to bust two big ones with relative eased. He looked like he reads it better and is more patient that the other guys we've put back there.

It's this.

And it wasn't just the insertion of Manning; I heard, during the telecast of the game, that Joe was also given a couple of new guys, Keo and someone else who's name eludes my memory, that were better, more decisive, ST blockers and those additions - plus Manning - to the KO team made the STs more effective in the N.E. game. I know I saw definite lanes open up for Manning to exploit and he wasted no time in busting thru them for those big run backs.

I'll also add that a couple of us wanted Manning to run back kicks all season long. But the majority of folks on this board didn't want to risk him getting hurt and us having to be without him in the secondary. I remember folks going back and forth about it and mentioning that Manning never got hurt running back kicks. He got hurt playing safety. I still think he's the best, most instinctive, returner on the team.

Norg
01-18-2013, 03:04 AM
and i still think they wont risk him returing next year UNLESSSSS bye week 3 the returner does realllyyyy poorly who ever that might be

Playoffs
01-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Lions agree to terms with John Bonamego as special teams coordinator (http://www.freep.com/article/20130118/SPORTS01/130118070/detroit-lions-john-bonamego)

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/images/smilies/impatient.gif

dtran04
01-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Actually in the playoffs, they inserted more starters in the special teams units.

I noticed Quin, Manning, Walter all out there at times.

Playoffs
01-31-2013, 10:37 AM
Steelers hire Danny Smith as special teams coach (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-hire-danny-smith-special-150614334--nfl.html)

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/sighing-and-waiting/smileys-sighing-and-waiting-205679.gif

tru80texan
01-31-2013, 10:56 AM
Steelers hire Danny Smith as special teams coach (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-hire-danny-smith-special-150614334--nfl.html)

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/sighing-and-waiting/smileys-sighing-and-waiting-205679.gif

Here's a piece of the Q & A that I believe answers our questions concerning Marciano.

John McClain
Q: You gave Kubiak a new three-year contract before this season. What do you like about Kubiak?

Bob McNair
A: I think he does a great job. He likes his coordinators and position coaches, and I do, too. He works hard. He’s organized. The players love playing for him. They have a lot of confidence in him.

That pretty much sums it up for me. The ol' loyal to a fault Kubiak strikes again. The ST's have been an issue for quite some time, but will continue to be ignored until either McNair wises up & steps in, ala Wade, or it becomes the lone factor in costing the Texans some games & potentially Kubiak's job. Until then kubiak will sit on his hands & be the good buddy while accepting mediocrity from one component of his team. After all, that is how championships are won.

IlliniJen
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
It's been 2+ weeks since our season ended. If they haven't fired Joe by now, they simply aren't. So, Joe gets the ol' participatory trophy from Kubes for his effort on leading our last in the league special teams unit. Congrats Joe!

Double Barrel
01-31-2013, 11:47 AM
There is an old saying that "cream rises to the top", with the obvious metaphor that the best in any given endeavor usually comes out on top.

Well,what substance is it that does not rise to the top, but floats near the top but never actually makes it to the top. Whatever that substance is, that's the Texans right now.

By not holding obvious flaws accountable for failure, we should expect nothing greater than what we have seen so far. We can upgrade so many things, but when your QB and special teams are pedestrian in big games, then expect to float near the top but never be the top.

Playoffs
01-31-2013, 11:56 AM
This one I put on Mr. McNair. He knows Gary's flaws -- that he's loyal to a fault.

Bob should have had harsh words with Gary about special teams performance, decisions imo.

beerlover
01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
This one I put on Mr. McNair. He knows Gary's flaws -- that he's loyal to a fault.

Bob should have had harsh words with Gary about special teams performance, decisions imo.

someone needs a Holiday

Yesterday
01-31-2013, 12:06 PM
32nd ranked special teams is unacceptable.

But I knew that we weren't firing Joe when he got a game ball (after the game where Braman had the blocked punt)

Hopefully Randy Bullock will be ready to go by next year. Shayne is a decent enough FG kicker, but I'm tired of seeing his short kickoffs...how did that guy even survive in the league when it was from the 30?

And I'm not sold on Donnie Jones, either.

Seeing Trindon and Jacoby do so well in their new systems shows us that it wasn't their fault; it was ours. When was the last time we ever had a decent KR/PR? Jerome Mathis? Love Manning as a S, but he ain't fast enough to be a KR.

TejasTom
01-31-2013, 12:15 PM
someone needs a Holiday

Denver

Playoffs
01-31-2013, 03:02 PM
someone needs a Holiday

I'd take some decent blocking for a Holliday.

CretorFrigg
01-31-2013, 03:53 PM
When I saw how well our special teams performed against the Patriots, I had a gut feeling that Joe was here to stay. That's all it takes to redeem yourself with Bob McNair. Just look at how long he stuck with David Carr.

thunderkyss
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
When I saw how well our special teams performed against the Patriots, I had a gut feeling that Joe was here to stay. That's all it takes to redeem yourself with Bob McNair. Just look at how long he stuck with David Carr.

Do you think the game has passed Joe Marciano by?

Is that why our special teams played better in both the WC & Div play-off games? Or did they approach special teams differently than they had all year long? & If they approached special teams differently in the play-offs, who's decision was it to handle special teams the way we did during the season?

Let's just imagine that Kubiak & Wade hamstrung Coach Joe all year long, "Nope, Harris & Posey aren't going to be active today, you can't have Manning, Graham, Tate, Nading, McCain, or Demps."

Remember Jacoby was a leading returner with us before we let him go, McMannis was our best gunner before we let him go, & I'm sure it wasn't Marciano's idea to cut Holiday for the roster spot, even though we had a WR & a CB that couldn't make the active roster.

Do you think Marciano should be fired because Kubiak is a dumbass?

Playoffs
02-01-2013, 08:52 PM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Hire Dave Wannstedt As Special Teams Coach (http://thepewterplank.com/2013/02/01/buccaneers-hire-dave-wannstedt-as-special-teams-coach/)

http://www.thepondforum.com/images/smilies/tantrum.gif

thunderkyss
02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Hire Dave Wannstedt As Special Teams Coach (http://thepewterplank.com/2013/02/01/buccaneers-hire-dave-wannstedt-as-special-teams-coach/)

http://www.thepondforum.com/images/smilies/tantrum.gif

Wannstedt spent the past two seasons with the Buffalo Bills, most recently serving as the Bills defensive coordinator. He was fired along with Chan Gailey and the rest of his staff on New Years Eve.

The fact that Wannstedt has wound up in Tampa should really be surprising to no one. Both Greg Schiano and Wannstedt spent time together in Chicago, with Wannstedt serving as Schiano’s boss as the head coach of he Bears. But back then Schiano was just the learner while now he is the master.

Schiano and Wannstedt bumped into each other on plenty of occasions while they were both in the Big East back in their college coaching days. But in becoming the Buccaneers special teams coach, Wannstedt is doing so for the first time in his NFL coaching career.

The move to hire Wanndstedt doesn’t hurt at all, although some may take issue with his lack of coaching success in the recent past. But Greg Schiano is doing the same exact thing he did last year when he was assembling a brilliant staff — he’s seeking out guys that know what they’re doing and surrounding himself with them.

First time head coach hiring a "friend" to be a first time ST coach... I'm not liking the way that sounds already. "Lack of coaching success in recent past" ....

Yeah, we should have jumped all over that.

HouSportsWriter
02-03-2013, 07:36 PM
He also dropped a punt. I am happy he's gone. He is way to big of a risk.:toropalm:

Trap_Star
02-03-2013, 07:40 PM
you know....that chicken-bacon ranch sandwich from subway is pretty damn good.

cbs1507
02-03-2013, 07:40 PM
He also dropped a punt. I am happy he's gone. He is way to big of a risk.:toropalm:

Yeah but he STILL got like 10 yards on the play and is responsible for 2 big play TDs in the SB while we are watching...

TheDream34
02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Good to see Jacoby playing a big role on a Super Bowl team, but he had to leave to Houston. Change of scenery is just what he needed.

rolyat93
02-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Jacoby with the longest Kick Return in NFL history, on the biggest stage. Along with another big TD.

FIRE JOE.

rolyat93
02-03-2013, 07:43 PM

Yeah, those 2 TOUCHDOWNS didn't make up for that at all.

Playoffs
02-03-2013, 07:45 PM
Please never ever bring his name to this board again.

In my opinion, he cost us a ring.

Mods can this please be moved? Has nothing to do with the Texans.:photos:

HouSportsWriter
02-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Didn't say we should have kept him, we just have a HUGE ST problem.

That I agree with 100%. The thing is Manning looks like a very good option for kick returns, and punt returns. I think we should draft a wide receiver in the late rounds like we did with Holliday.

Craig.
02-03-2013, 07:57 PM
It's time to stop blaming Jacoby.

Rey
02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
It's not the special teams coach. It's the head coach and his upset stomach face. It's not just the returners that choke in big spots and make bonehead plays. It's from all phases.

HouSportsWriter
02-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah, those 2 TOUCHDOWNS didn't make up for that at all.

Jones as a Texan was a ticking time bomb. Two years ago he cost us the playoff game with 2 muffed returns. That's just my opinion.

amazing80
02-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Lets see, we run jones out of town and is now in discussion for super bowl MVP, we run Holiday out of town and he was top 3 returners this season.....yup joe Marciano is NOT the problem :kitten:

HouSportsWriter
02-03-2013, 08:05 PM
It's not the special teams coach. It's the head coach and his upset stomach face. It's not just the returners that choke in big spots and make bonehead plays. It's from all phases.

I agree with this 100%. Because coach Joe is not the problem. He saw the potential in T. Holliday. Even though he was hurt. I was one of the haters. I thought he was a waist of space.
The thing is now. He is one of the top kick returners in the league.

thunderkyss
02-03-2013, 10:43 PM
Lets see, we run jones out of town and is now in discussion for super bowl MVP, we run Holiday out of town and he was top 3 returners this season.....yup joe Marciano is NOT the problem :kitten:

I bet Marciano wasn't consulted when they decided to cut either Jacoby or Trindon.

Our special teams also played better in the play offs when we "unprotected" players & let them play STs.

I bet our special teams once again becomes one of the better units in the whole league in 2013, but only if coach Joe is here. Fire Marciano & bring in someone like Wannestedt & I can't make any such guarantee.

Norg
02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
FIRE HIM refusing to do so would be just like spitting in the fans face

find someone better it wont be that hard 2 do

Why are we so scared for some tweeking a damm ST coach Ravens Changed there OC mid season and look what happend

THIS IS THE DAMM OFFSEASON MCNAIR ****TT !!!!

GP
02-03-2013, 11:06 PM

Winning post ^^^^^.

Would rep but I'm on the TapaTalk for mobile devices app.

dream_team
02-03-2013, 11:54 PM
It's time to stop blaming Jacoby.

Tell me about it. Jacoby made one crucial mistake in that game. TJ made 4, yet TJ gets the pass just because he was a 3rd string rookie.

bhsman
02-04-2013, 01:04 AM

You're right, only handsome coaches win games. :kitten:

GuerillaBlack
02-04-2013, 07:28 AM
Why would you guys want to fire Marciano? According to Seth Payne and others at 610, he is a REALLY nice guy, so there is no reason why people should want him fired.

thunderkyss
02-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Jacoby with the longest Kick Return in NFL history, on the biggest stage. Along with another big TD.

I bet he'll have a spot in the HoF because of it.

Imagine that. You go to the HoF next year & BAM, you see Matt Schaub's cleats & Jacoby's helmet/visor.

Señor Stan
02-04-2013, 07:32 AM

FIRE JOE.

Plus...the record is unbreakable...it can only be tied...

nevermind... it was ONLY 108 yards. Gamecast was calling it 109 last night and they have since adjusted it.

Luv_ya_blue
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Plus...the record is unbreakable...it can only be tied...

nevermind... it was ONLY 108 yards. Gamecast was calling it 109 last night and they have since adjusted it.

Although JJ DID still set a record last night.
Only player in NFL history to score a KR for TD AND an offensive TD in the same game.

ThaJokaa
02-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Tell me about it. Jacoby made one crucial mistake in that game. TJ made 4, yet TJ gets the pass just because he was a 3rd string rookie.

because he was a rookie

thunderkyss
02-04-2013, 01:51 PM
because he was a rookie

So we weren't going to win that game anyway.

Jacoby was trying to make a play. It didn't work out for him. We've seen those plays end up going for TDs, if Jacoby was able to get us on the other side of the 50, he'd have been a hero.

As it were, take away Jacoby's muff & we're still going to have a rookie airing it out against Ed Reed & the Ravens secondary. There should have been 6 interceptions, but there were only 3.

Blaming Jacoby for that loss is just hate. That's all it is.

Dutchrudder
02-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Although JJ DID still set a record last night.
Only player in NFL history to score a KR for TD AND an offensive TD in the same game.

Jacoby also set the record for total return yards by one player. I forget how much, but it was like 210. He had a great game, and really showed off why he was voted to the pro-bowl.

Luv_ya_blue
02-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Jacoby also set the record for total return yards by one player. I forget how much, but it was like 210. He had a great game, and really showed off why he was voted to the pro-bowl.

I didn't realize that.
Not hard to break records when you break one for 108, I guess.
:rake:

Jules Winnfield
02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Why would you guys want to fire Marciano? According to Seth Payne and others at 610, he is a REALLY nice guy, so there is no reason why people should want him fired.

i cant stand this about the texans and the astros.

we dont watch sports because we want to watch a buncha sorry players who are good guys.

we watch sports to see talented players and to be entertained.

ive had enough mediocre good old houston boys like kubiak and playoff chokers like biggio and bagwell.

deucetx
02-05-2013, 08:33 AM
I bet Marciano wasn't consulted when they decided to cut either Jacoby or Trindon.

Our special teams also played better in the play offs when we "unprotected" players & let them play STs.

I bet our special teams once again becomes one of the better units in the whole league in 2013, but only if coach Joe is here. Fire Marciano & bring in someone like Wannestedt & I can't make any such guarantee.

Sorry but I have to disagree on this. For one, it's not just about returns. It was more about the actual coverage last year. Take the Colts game when the guy right up the freaking middle untouched. There was no discipline for lane protection by the coverage team. That is coaching.

Last five seasons we have been ranked in the top ten of special teams once and that was way back in 2008. After that? 16th, 20th, 17th and this past season 32nd. How much more needs to be seen to think we need a change? Plus I highly doubt they cut a guy like Trindon who was only a special teams guy and didn't tell the special teams coach. These guys communicate. Things don't just happen and get passed on at lunch time or at the coffee maker, heh.

So it comes down to more than mere returns. I mean if we wish to be medicore or bad then by all means hold on to the guy. But sometimes you have to take that step forward to make your team better instead of standing pat at same ol' same ol'.

thunderkyss
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Last five seasons we have been ranked in the top ten of special teams once and that was way back in 2008. After that? 16th, 20th, 17th and this past season 32nd. How much more needs to be seen to think we need a change?

I was under the impression that we were much better than that other than the last two years. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong & I agree with you.

Good point.

Plus I highly doubt they cut a guy like Trindon who was only a special teams guy and didn't tell the special teams coach. These guys communicate. Things don't just happen and get passed on at lunch time or at the coffee maker, heh.

I'm sure they told him but I'm also sure he didn't get a vote. I'm also thinking he doesn't get a say in who plays special teams or who doesn't. I've got no proof (other than there were players on special teams during the play offs that weren't during the season) but I think Kubiak & Wade tells Marciano who he can & can't have & Marciano has to make it work.

I'm not saying I think he should be able to pick all the players he wants, but he should probably have a little more input.

HJam72
02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Marciano: I really need AJ returning kicks & Cushing as a burner.

Kubiak: Alright, NOW you're fired.

CloakNNNdagger
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Some ST coaches are so good that they outgrow their jobs. I hardly see this happening with Marciano.

Harbaugh spent nine of his 10 seasons in Philadelphia as the Eagles' special-teams coordinator. Andy Reid moved him to defensive backs coach in '07, largely to help him improve his chances of getting a pro or college head-coaching job.

"You get to that age and financial spot where you've got to make a move or you're going to outprice yourself as a special-teams coordinator," Reid, now the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs, said Monday.

"John was climbing [salarywise] into the upper echelon of special-teams coaches. And you just didn't see DB coaches being DB coaches at that time for the amount of money John was making. He had to make the move or he was going to outprice himself or have to take a pay cut [to become a position coach]."

Harbaugh is one of six former Reid assistants to become NFL head coaches, and the first to win a Super Bowl.link (http://articles.philly.com/2013-02-05/sports/36766991_1_john-harbaugh-head-coach-special-teams-coordinator)

NastyNate
08-09-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm still on board. How the hell does Marciano still have a job?

thunderkyss
08-09-2013, 08:19 PM
It's still the preseason.

We haven't seen our special teams team yet. These guys are scrubs.

GuerillaBlack
08-09-2013, 08:24 PM

According to Seth Payne, Coach Joe is a really great guy so thats why.

TheIronDuke
08-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Marciano probably is in charge of channel 13's video feed too.

ATXtexanfan
08-09-2013, 08:36 PM

Lol right. Embarrassing

Say Watt
08-09-2013, 08:42 PM

Haha!! Good one!

eriadoc
08-09-2013, 08:57 PM

NastyNate
08-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Zing!

drs23
08-09-2013, 10:47 PM
It's still the preseason.

We haven't seen our special teams team yet. These guys are scrubs.

The Vikes scrubs are THAT much better than our scrubs?

I hope our scrubs get better next week.

PapaL
08-09-2013, 11:30 PM
The Vikes scrubs are THAT much better than our scrubs?

I hope our scrubs get better next week.

We must have the scrubbiest scrubs...AGAIN.

TejasTom
08-10-2013, 07:17 AM

Kubiak probably gave him a game ball last night.

jaayteetx
09-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm beginning to think this thread has some merit.

PapaL
09-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Our ST is a joke.

drs23
09-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Our ST is a joke.

There's certainly nothing *special* about them. That made me wanna kick my dog...and I like her!

Premier
09-22-2013, 03:45 PM
at what point is a special teams eff up not on marciano.. guys missed tackles, is a new coach going to have guys not whiff..

rolyat93
09-22-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't know how the Texans FO can look fans in the face and say they care first and foremost about winning when Joe Marciano still has a job.

thunderkyss
09-22-2013, 04:25 PM
That was Keo, Braman, & Dj at the front of that return. All three of them had an opportunity to prevent that return early..... & didn't do it.

Lucky
09-22-2013, 05:14 PM
That was Keo, Braman, & Dj at the front of that return. All three of them had an opportunity to prevent that return early..... & didn't do it.
I'm sure Keo is a good guy who loves the game and tries hard. But, he does not have the athletic ability to play in the NFL. He's like Rudy, from the movie Rudy. Except Keo doesn't make as many plays.
at what point is a special teams eff up not on marciano.. guys missed tackles, is a new coach going to have guys not whiff..
I'd like to test your theory.

amazing80
09-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Ask jacoby jones and trindon holliday if Joe Marciano held them back.....

steelbtexan
09-22-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't know how the Texans FO can look fans in the face and say they care first and foremost about winning when Joe Marciano still has a job.

Makes you wonder

But..... But.... But.... Coach Joe is a great guy. You know what I know alot of great guys that aren't very good at jobs. Guess what they lose their jobs.

As I've been saying for 2 yrs and 3 games, Coach Joe MUST go

cstyle42
09-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Makes you wonder

But..... But.... But.... Coach Joe is a great guy. You know what I know alot of great guys that aren't very good at jobs. Guess what they lose their jobs.

As I've been saying for 2 yrs and 3 games, Coach Joe MUST go

Good ol boy system in effect here

HOU-TEX
09-23-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm not sure what kind of shoes Braman was wearing. I noticed he slipped on a couple punts. This is a pic right before he slipped. They appear to be in their lanes. They just failed.

It's safe to say Braman is NOT a ST ace. IMO, he should've been let go. He offers nothing on defense and has been a liability on STs

*By no means am I excusing Marciano*

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU247seCUAA7i0y.jpg:large

thunderkyss
09-23-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure what kind of shoes Braman was wearing. I noticed he slipped on a couple punts. This is a pic right before he slipped. They appear to be in their lanes. They just failed.

It's safe to say Braman is NOT a ST ace. IMO, he should've been let go. He offers nothing on defense and has been a liability on STs

*By no means am I excusing Marciano*

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BU247seCUAA7i0y.jpg:large

Wow, didn't realize Sharpton was there too. Dude shouldn't have got past the 30.

dtran04
09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
This team just lacks athletes and it shows on special teams. If you really think about it, not a single player on offense is able to take a short gain and bust it for a long TD. Most long plays are off design. It's pretty painful when you realize Keyshawn doesn't have the speed to break one on returns. He wouldn't have done what Doss did.

On defense, the texans best athlete is Watt so that doesn't help ST.

HOU-TEX
09-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Wow, didn't realize Sharpton was there too. Dude shouldn't have got past the 30.

Yup, once Keo and Braman fall down Doss runs right between Sharpton and Swearinger. Leaving Lechler as the only player with a chance to stop him.

Double Barrel
09-23-2013, 11:23 AM
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
~ Albert Einstein

09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
~ Albert Einstein

Well, that there looks familiar.

Scooter
09-23-2013, 12:47 PM
both sharpton and braman (and probably dj) are angling much harder to the right than it looks in the picture ... why? and where are the other 6 players? did we call a punt right and everybody's just doing their job but lechler? why are the lane assignments pushed so far to the right, and why does everyone wait until it's too late to break off? i'm putting that on coaching.

CretorFrigg
10-20-2013, 08:32 PM
We need to bump this thread every week. It's easy to forget about how bad our special teams is when the rest of our team sucks, but seriously? Our special teams unit flat out sucked today, like always.

Lord Bills
10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
why does this guy still have a job?

dtran04
10-20-2013, 08:41 PM
This team needs better athletes. They are slow getting covering kicks. What happens is one guy gets down there way faster than everyone else and at that point, contain is broken.

On the other end, Keyshawn just isn't a good kick returner. He isn't that elusive and doesn't have the speed to break one.

dalemurphy
10-20-2013, 08:55 PM
This team needs better athletes. They are slow getting covering kicks. What happens is one guy gets down there way faster than everyone else and at that point, contain is broken.

On the other end, Keyshawn just isn't a good kick returner. He isn't that elusive and doesn't have the speed to break one.

I like Martin as a returner, despite his recent struggles. I think it's tough... He's trying to make a play and his blocking is total garbage.

I don't think athleticism is our problem on special team's coverage. Braman is an excellent athlete. He's just very undisciplined. Today, again, he just gave away containment for no reason. Of course, watching our defenive struggles-seeing a lack of depth at LB and safety, it does occur to me that those are the positions that usually excel in special team coverage.

Also, I could die happy if I was never forced to watch Brice McCain play "gunner" on the punt team. The guy, sometimes, literally, does not cross the line of scrimmage until the play is over. He gets absolutely manhandled by the blocking. Painful!

Hervoyel
10-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Special Teams have been broken here for so long that I think the coaches just believe it's supposed to look that way. Marciano should have been fired 3-4 years ago. Now it's like "Why bother?".

We've sent great returners to other teams and we're left with Martin who threatens no one on returns and all because we can't coordinate the damn coverage/blocking. That's Marciano. Year in and year out not matter who is playing special teams we can't get these guys on the same page. There's got to be someone at the college level or who is a part of some teams staff that's getting blown up in a HC firing that could fix this. We never do anything about it.

It's like they like being this ****ed up. Like they enjoy doing this stuff the hard way.

steelbtexan
10-20-2013, 08:59 PM
I say it every week

Coach Joe must Go

thunderkyss
10-20-2013, 10:25 PM
If you were Coach Joe & Kubiak came to you this week & said you can have your pick of the team... no one is off limits, you can make your Special teams of anyone on the roster/practice squad & you've got two weeks to get them ready, who would you pick & what would their jobs be?

Lord Bills
11-04-2013, 09:39 AM
this thread needs to be stickied until he his gone.

seriously, WTH man?

HJam72
11-04-2013, 06:24 PM
If you were Coach Joe & Kubiak came to you this week & said you can have your pick of the team... no one is off limits, you can make your Special teams of anyone on the roster/practice squad & you've got two weeks to get them ready, who would you pick & what would their jobs be?

Ed Reed for all returns. :jk:

CloakNNNdagger
11-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Can't believe it...................Texans opponents have scored a league-high eight touchdowns on returns........and the season is still young.............:roast:

TejasTom
11-19-2013, 07:21 PM
When K-Mart made the run back I thought, "Oh no, 1 year extension for Joe"
When Bullock made the 51 yarder I thought, "Oh no, they'll make Joe head coach"

Naija Texan
11-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Bumping because really the man SHOULD be fired.

CretorFrigg
11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Joe Marciano interview back in the '90s. NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu3joV2ZaZw

Vance87
11-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Joe Marciano interview back in the '90s. NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu3joV2ZaZw

What a d*ck