PDA

View Full Version : Cassel injury cheered - Eric Winston pissed after the game

toronto
10-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Following Sunday's game, Kansas City Chiefs OT Eric Winston gathered a few media folks around for an announcement regarding those fans who cheered when Matt Cassel was knocked out of the game.

Here is the whole statement:

"We are athletes, OK? We are athletes. We are not gladiators. This is not the Roman Coliseum. People pay their hard-earned money when they come in here and I believe they can boo, they can cheer and they can do whatever they want, I believe that. We are lucky to play this game. People, it's hard to economic times, and they still pay the money to do this.

"But when somebody gets hurt, there are long lasting ramifications to the game we play, long lasting ramifications to the game we play. I've already kinda come to the understanding that I won't live as long because I play this game and that's OK, that's a choice I've made and a choice all of us have made.

Related: Matt Cassel injury video.

"But when you cheer, when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and it just so happened to be Matt Cassel -- it's sickening. It's 100 percent sickening. I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, I've never been more embarrassed in my life to play football than in that moment right there.

"I get emotional about it because these guys, they work their butts off. Matt Cassel hasn't done anything to you people, hasn't done anything to you people. Hasn't done anything to the media writers that kill him, hasn't done anything wrong to the people that come out here and cheer him. Hey, if he's not the best quarterback then he's not the best quarterback and that's OK. But he's a person. And he got knocked out in a game and we have 70,000 people cheering that he got knocked out?

"Boo him all you want. Boo me all you want. Throw me under the bus. Tell me I'm doing a bad job. Say I gotta protect him more. Do whatever you want. Say whatever you want. But if you are one of those people, one of those people that were out there cheering or even smiled when he got knocked out, I just want to let you know, and I want everybody to know that I think it's sickening and disgusting. We are not gladiators and this is not the Roman Coliseum. This is a game.

"I'll sit here and I'll answer all your questions for the next 30 minutes if you want to ask them and I'll take all the responsibility I can take because I deserve it but don't blame a guy, and don't cheer for a guy who has done everything in his power to play as good as he can for the fans.

"It's sickening. And I was embarrassed. I want every single one of you people to put this on your station and in your newspapers because I want every fan to know that. This is a game that's going to cost us a lot down the road. That's OK. We picked it, we deserve it and I don't want your pity. But we have a lot of problems as a society if people think that's OK.

"I'll get off my soap box and you guys can ask any football question you want."

From Adam Schefter...

Hard to argue with the man.

gtexan02
10-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Hard to argue with the man.

I agreed with him up until this point:

"I get emotional about it because these guys, they work their butts off. Matt Cassel hasn't done anything to you people, hasn't done anything to you people. Hasn't done anything to the media writers that kill him
Hey, if he's not the best quarterback then he's not the best quarterback and that's OK.

Winston is right thats its pretty disgusting when people cheer an injury. Its terrible when fans cheer for an opponent to get injured, but its even worse when its your own team. This is an embarassing day to be a Chief's fan.

But why bring up the media bashing the guy? He sucks and he deserves the scrutiny. Its not ok that he's not the best quarterback when he's being paid millions of dollars to be the best.

houstonspartan
10-07-2012, 05:05 PM
They cheered the injury of one of their own players? Good grief. I cringe even when opposing team players get hurt. I have no words. Shame on Chiefs fans.

On another note, Eric seems to have found the media spotlight yet again, I see. lol. Good dude, but, man, he just loves cameras.

Playoffs
10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm guessing KC fans would have cheered the same cheer if head coach Crennel had pulled Cassel in favor of Brady Quinn.

ItsMyFault
10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Here's the audio.

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/winston-sunday.mp3

Can't blame him.

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Those are some strong words.......words for any fans to step back and reassess their own feelings and actions when things like this happen. This game shouldn't be treated with the old Roman thumbs up or thumbs up. I would like to think that we have progressed somehow since the days when people revelled over the lions and Christians.

GP
10-07-2012, 05:24 PM
But why bring up the media bashing the guy? He sucks and he deserves the scrutiny. Its not ok that he's not the best quarterback when he's being paid millions of dollars to be the best.

Maybe he feels the media has contributed toward the fans cheering the injury?

An indirect result of local media banging on the QB for so long that it has drummed up some serious animosity toward the QB?

I'm not saying I believe that, just that maybe in Winston's world he feels that way.

I knew a Chiefs fan awhile back, he was a pretty obnoxious guy. If their fan base was cheering the injury, then man oh man does that really open your eyes up about those folks. I don't recall that sort of reaction when Carr would get injured here. It sounds like the Chiefs fans really went off the deep end.

steelbtexan
10-07-2012, 05:26 PM
While I agree with Winston on this subject,

I wish he would just shut up and do his job. He's too busy trying to set up his next career in the media after he's done with football. Instead of spending his time trying to improve his craft. I'm very happy the Texans got rid of him. Although I would've liked to see Rick trade him to K.C. rather than cutting him and allowing Winston to sign a new contract. (Getting a raise)

Playoffs
10-07-2012, 05:34 PM
http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/winston-sunday.mp3

Can't blame him.Yeah, I have to agree. Thanks for posting.

Winston is a good interview.

NastyNate
10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
While I agree with Winston on this subject,

I wish he would just shut up and do his job. He's too busy trying to set up his next career in the media after he's done with football. Instead of spending his time trying to improve his craft. I'm very happy the Texans got rid of him. Although I would've liked to see Rick trade him to K.C. rather than cutting him and allowing Winston to sign a new contract. (Getting a raise)

So you prefer offensive linemen not going to bat for their quarterback? Noted. Also Winston was much better than the fanbase gave him credit for. Look at YPC to the right before and after his departure. He deserved every dollar the Chiefs gave him.

BullBlitz
10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Good for you Eric.

Well said.

Texecutioner
10-07-2012, 06:13 PM
On another note, Eric seems to have found the media spotlight yet again, I see. lol. Good dude, but, man, he just loves cameras.

Boy does he! Lol!

srrono
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Did anyone see the play? Was it Winston who gave up the hit or sack?

macho grande
10-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Calm down Francis.

Playoffs
10-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Did anyone see the play? Was it Winston who gave up the hit or sack?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000071794/Matt-Cassel-injury

BattleRedToro
10-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Calm down Francis.

If your going to say it, say it right.

http://gifsoup.com/view1/3829042/lighten-up-francis-o.gif

rush2112mn
10-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I dont understand fans who would cheer somebody coming out of the game because of injury.....just wrong......

Quick II Draw
10-07-2012, 07:30 PM
It looked like they were cheering:

The first down that Jamaal Charles got on the play
FOR Brady Quinn

It wasn't a sack...there were extenuating circumstances...not exactly a stadium cheering a knocked-out QB

chicagotexan2
10-07-2012, 07:40 PM
They cheered the injury of one of their own players? Good grief. I cringe even when opposing team players get hurt. I have no words. Shame on Chiefs fans.

Winston could've just said what you did and been just as effective. Instead he yaps and yaps. Chiefs fans that cheered Cassals injury are aholes. That's All he had to say.

macho grande
10-07-2012, 08:20 PM
If your going to say it, say it right.

http://gifsoup.com/view1/3829042/lighten-up-francis-o.gif

Touche:)

Texecutioner
10-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Winston could've just said what you did and been just as effective. Instead he yaps and yaps. Chiefs fans that cheered Cassals injury are aholes. That's All he had to say.

Personally I never could stand listening and hearing Winston all over the media in Houston. He acted like the fans hardly knew a thing it seemed like when the Texans were criticized at times. Good player and a very good rep for the organization no doubt, but I don't miss him on talk radio or the news.

toronto
10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
I have no problem with him being upset over the fans cheering an injury.

But the media has every right to call him a lousy QB if they have the facts to back that up. Clearly right now they do.

Giant Tiger
10-07-2012, 09:25 PM
I have to agree with Eric Winston here. Jim Mora said basically the same thing when he coached the Saints... people cheered when Wade Wilson got hurt.

1993 marked the beginning of the decline of Mora's Saints. The team started the season 50 and appeared to be headed to the postseason again; however, after the Saints' bye week, the team went into a tailspin and went only 38 in the final 11 games, including losing 4 out of their last 5 games. 1993 was Mora's last season of .500 or better in New Orleans. In the Week 16 game against the New York Giants, quarterback Wade Wilson was injured on Monday Night Football and fans were cheering that fact, earning an angry retort:

"You know I'd like to begin my remarks by saying this, and I mean this in all sincerity; I've been coaching for 34 years, and tonight I saw and heard one of the most disgusting, rudest, sick, demonstrations in my entire career. Probably the worst. When Wade Wilson got hurt, I actually looked up into the stands and saw people standing, clapping, and cheering when he was laying on the ground with a knee injury. And I say this, those are some sick, sick, sick people! Mentally sick! I thought it was horrible, disgusting, embarrassing, shameful, it stunk! People are sick when they do something like that; absolutely friggin' sick! Guy's out there busting his ass like all our guys were, gets his knee blown up, not badly hopefully, and they're standing and cheering and clapping! Those are sick people! Sick in the head! They oughta get their ass thrown right out of the stadium!"

Hervoyel
10-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm guessing KC fans would have cheered the same cheer if head coach Crennel had pulled Cassel in favor of Brady Quinn.

Which he should have done anyway. Entirely apart from the injury/cheering subject Matt Cassel is terrible. That was an ordeal to watch today and when Quinn came in that offense got a spark. They came to life. Cassel's bad and their offense looks designed mostly just to hide it. Pitiful arm on display today, lots of floaters just hanging in the air waiting to be picked off. Terrible accuracy too from what I saw. When you run the ball that much, even in situations where no sensible offensive coordinator would call a run that just shows the fans that the team is letting his limitations dictate what they're capable of doing. In my opinion the Chiefs staff let him go out there and hang himself. They talk about putting a QB or player in a position to succeed. That game looked to me like the Chiefs were putting Cassel in a position to justify their eventual switch to Brady Quinn. The injury just sped things up a bit.

gtexan02
10-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I just watched the video... don't most NFL fans cheer when an injured player is able to walk off the field?

I'm starting to think Eric is going off the deep end here. It sure seemed like they were cheering Cassell getting off the field and for Quinn. I don't think there was any harmful intent here... its not like they cheered as he lay on the ground

houstonspartan
10-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Personally I never could stand listening and hearing Winston all over the media in Houston. He acted like the fans hardly knew a thing it seemed like when the Texans were criticized at times. Good player and a very good rep for the organization no doubt, but I don't miss him on talk radio or the news.

Winston knows a lot of football and - more importantly - can process what he knows, and articulate it. That's very rare for athletes.

Having said that, I agree with you. What was frustrating to me is when the Texans would have one of their terrible losses, there was Eric on the radio the next day, laughing it up. Yes, he did admit when he screwed up, but, he didn't appear to have any real frustration. He seemed really, really into the media thing.

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2012, 10:14 PM
Cassel has officially been given the diagnosis of concussion. An independent neurologist will examine him tomorrow and determine the time table of his road to return.

toronto
10-07-2012, 10:56 PM
I just watched the video... don't most NFL fans cheer when an injured player is able to walk off the field?

I'm starting to think Eric is going off the deep end here. It sure seemed like they were cheering Cassell getting off the field and for Quinn. I don't think there was any harmful intent here... its not like they cheered as he lay on the ground

I just watched the game record here at my network and I feel very comfortable is stating that was a very venomous cheer. I can understand the frustration, hell I'm a Titan/Oiler/Astro/Raptors/Maple Leafs fan. I'm amazed I haven't stooped to that level...

But I haven't. Its just one of those things I know is wrong no matter what.

macho grande
10-07-2012, 11:04 PM

ChiefsPlanet is up in arms over this. Most are requesting that W inston go f*ck himself and then learn the snap counts lol. They also say that while some surely did cheer Cassel being down, most were cheering because Quinn had begun warming up and a qb change was occurring. Others claimed to be cheering that the team had finally made a first down on the play and hadn't even realized that someone was hurt.

Winston is just a blowhard and has created a national story out of nothing. Probably have a segment on PTI and ATH tomorrow.

76Texan
10-08-2012, 12:34 AM
http://www.foxsportskansascity.com/10/07/12/Chiefs-OT-Winston-speaks--but-is-done-ta/landing_chiefs.html?blockID=801565&feedID=5128

.... But not all Chiefs fans agreed with Winston's assessment, nor his recollection of Sunday's events.

"I spent over $15k on the #Chiefs in past 4 years. Cassel made $60 million. I'll boo him for whatever (reason) I want to and Eric Winston should (just) block," one Chiefs fan Tweeted,

"Eric Winston making a small pocket of fans into a new city-wide stereotype. 70,000 people didn't cheer the injury," another fan Tweeted.

The reaction was even harsher when a story about Winston's post-game comments appeared online at kansascity.com.

"Dear Eric 'still new to town and got burned by the Chargers last week' Winston: Get your facts straight. I was at the game. The fans applauded when Cassel got up as he was about to be walked off the field. We always applaud injured players who get up. The really loud applause occurred when Quinn came into the game," wrote one fan.

"I agree with the previous post that the fans were likely cheering because at least a change would have to be made at QB," another fan observed.

"You may get your wish Winston and the stands will be nearly empty with serious fans staying away from the crap you and your group have produced on the field this season. Yes, fans work as hard and in nearly every case harder than you professionals do for a fraction of what you make. So damn them for being passionate about their team and demanding you pros actually put the best players on the field to win," another fan wrote.

And a more diplomatic fan commented, "I get Winston's comments and he's right. But the emotion of the game and the fan's' discontent with Cassel's poor performance this entire season swept over them collectively. I lay some of the blame at Romeo Crennel's feet for not listening to those same fans who have been calling for a change at quarterback."

Yet another fan may have have summed up what many Chiefs fans felt hearing the cheers, "Let us not lower our standards to become Raiders fans."

The topic of cheering an injured player is likely to gain plenty of steam nationally this week, on talk shows coast to coast.

But don't necessarily expect Winston to continue to join in the debate.

Winston tweeted after his post-game interview, "I've said what I wanted to say and I won't be talking about it any further. I stand by what I have said. I believe what I said."

infantrycak
10-08-2012, 12:51 AM
I didn't see it but Winston has been through plenty of players getting injured so I trust something stood out as different to make him speak out so vehemently.

If it is true at all the KC fans who participated should be ashamed, but it should not reflect on all KC fans. One of the most disgusting NFL scenes ever was Philly fans cheering Michael Irvin having a career ending injury as he was wheeled off the field.

Norg
10-08-2012, 01:14 AM
mann i thought the people in KC loved there cheifs even the bad teams of the cheifs ... there getting more like philly i guess Hardcore LOL !!!!!!!!

i hope if a texans get injured :knocks on wood" i would NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CHeer

even last week when Jake locker got hurt half the stadium on my side clapped 4 him when he got up and he was a TITAN PLAYER !!!! LOL

Double Barrel
10-08-2012, 10:22 AM
I didn't see it but Winston has been through plenty of players getting injured so I trust something stood out as different to make him speak out so vehemently.

If it is true at all the KC fans who participated should be ashamed, but it should not reflect on all KC fans. One of the most disgusting NFL scenes ever was Philly fans cheering Michael Irvin having a career ending injury as he was wheeled off the field.

I heard about this on the radio this morning, and the first thing I thought of was Michael Irvin in Philly.

Some of those Chefs fans need to gut check themselves when they start getting compared to Iggles fans. That's some seriously low standards to live down to, and one that I never associated with Kansas City...until now.

As far as Winston's rant, people should try to keep it in context that he spoke in the heat of the moment, high on emotion, and without the brain filter of hindsight and reflection.

I know some bash him because he loves to be in the media, but I like the fact that we get the insights of an NFL player and the interaction with fans that he brings to the table. Dude is not one of those big-headed high and mighty ego driven players, and that, to me, is quite refreshing in this day and age.

Speedy
10-08-2012, 10:38 AM
I watched yesterday and just re-watched on Game Rewind. The only time I could tell there was actual cheering, different than the normal crowd noise when Cassel was lying on the ground, was when Quinn ran onto the field. That doesn't mean there wasn't people who were clapping or cheering when Cassel came off, but you don't hear it on the broadcast. And even if there was, you don't know what they were cheering for. Could have just been seeing Quinn warming up.

I'm not going to say Winston is wrong or that he's mistakenly assuming the cheers for Quinn were cheers for Cassel being injured, because I know there are *********s out there that absolutely would cheer an injury, and there probably were.

chicagotexan2
10-08-2012, 12:09 PM
ChiefsPlanet is up in arms over this. Most are requesting that W inston go f*ck himself and then learn the snap counts lol. They also say that while some surely did cheer Cassel being down, most were cheering because Quinn had begun warming up and a qb change was occurring. Others claimed to be cheering that the team had finally made a first down on the play and hadn't even realized that someone was hurt.

Winston is just a blowhard and has created a national story out of nothing. Probably have a segment on PTI and ATH tomorrow.

The part that irks me is when this jakca$$ is taking roll call. Then threatens to never speak to them again unless his manifesto is in tomorrows paper or magazine. Get over yourself.

gary
10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
No one knows what happened so Winston is not right or wrong he is just stating his opinion.

houstonspartan
10-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I heard about this on the radio this morning, and the first thing I thought of was Michael Irvin in Philly.

Some of those Chefs fans need to gut check themselves when they start getting compared to Iggles fans. That's some seriously low standards to live down to, and one that I never associated with Kansas City...until now.

As far as Winston's rant, people should try to keep it in context that he spoke in the heat of the moment, high on emotion, and without the brain filter of hindsight and reflection.

I know some bash him because he loves to be in the media, but I like the fact that we get the insights of an NFL player and the interaction with fans that he brings to the table. Dude is not one of those big-headed high and mighty ego driven players, and that, to me, is quite refreshing in this day and age.

Winston definitely knows his stuff. And, he's good at articulating things for fans. That's rare for an athlete.

My issue with this whole thing is how he went about gathering all of the media around him. Was he right? Of course he was right. But holding court like the King was a bit much, IMO. He could have simply said his peace with one reporter and called it a day.

gary
10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
How do we know he gathered the media?

chicagotexan2
10-08-2012, 01:14 PM
How do we know he gathered the media?

listen to the audio

macho grande
10-08-2012, 03:32 PM
No one knows what happened so Winston is not right or wrong he is just stating his opinion.

Except he stated what happened as fact.

fiasco west
10-08-2012, 06:52 PM

Some were cheering. Just visit their forums and some have said that they cheered when he went down because he's a horrible QB and they were happy that finally he would be benched.

Just visit one of their forums and I think it's safe to assume that some WERE cheering his injury and some think he faked his injury any ways.

YoungTexanFan
10-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I live in KC now and I can assure you Winston was correct. Chiefs fans are generally considered some of the most passionate fans in the country. Though I find them to be quite annoying, they care. They are there in the rough times, just like we were for our rougher times. Let me also remove any and all doubt that Cassel is not an NFL caliber QB, and most KC fans are starting to realize that over the past few weeks. His ceiling is a poor man's Schaub which I've told people here, but he isn't close to that ceiling. Should he have been benched? Yes, without doubt. However, it shouldn't have happened like that. Just like Winston spoke in the heat of the moment, some fans reacted in the heat of the moment. There were clear and distinguishable cheers after the refs signaled to the sidelines for medical attention. That is what Winston is referring to, and he is absolutely right. The KC media has taken a very, very defensive approach to his comments because, really, that's all they can do to attempt to save face at this point. He was right, and he called their ****. Now, how he went about it wasn't the most ideal way, but that doesn't change what transpired in the stands or how an even larger percentage of fans watching at home felt.

ArlingtonTexan
10-09-2012, 11:54 PM
I live in KC now and I can assure you Winston was correct. Chiefs fans are generally considered some of the most passionate fans in the country. Though I find them to be quite annoying, they care. They are there in the rough times, just like we were for our rougher times. Let me also remove any and all doubt that Cassel is not an NFL caliber QB, and most KC fans are starting to realize that over the past few weeks. His ceiling is a poor man's Schaub which I've told people here, but he isn't close to that ceiling. Should he have been benched? Yes, without doubt. However, it shouldn't have happened like that. Just like Winston spoke in the heat of the moment, some fans reacted in the heat of the moment. There were clear and distinguishable cheers after the refs signaled to the sidelines for medical attention. That is what Winston is referring to, and he is absolutely right. The KC media has taken a very, very defensive approach to his comments because, really, that's all they can do to attempt to save face at this point. He was right, and he called their ****. Now, how he went about it wasn't the most ideal way, but that doesn't change what transpired in the stands or how an even larger percentage of fans watching at home felt.

This seems to be one of the better posts on this issue that i have read over thelast couple of days.

Question, was this also a case of Eric Winston not being a long time player who really was not made the OL situation better? I mean this probably comes off better if a player more aligned with the organization long term made the same comments.