PDA

View Full Version : Wanting National Respect for Team is Part of Being a Fan

drunkcookie
10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Been thinking about this subject and decided to blog about it... As a Texans fan it does bother me a little that they do not get the national attention I feel they deserve. I'm not completely pissed about it, and I even understand it, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't "want it".

threw it together pretty quick today, so don't go bashing my mistakes too hard now... Thanks...

One thing that will bother a Texans fan more than anything -outside of hearing the name David Ca…nevermind- is what seems to be a lack of respect/coverage by the national sports media. And one thing that bothers ‘this’ Texans fan just as much is hearing local radio guys and even some fans ask the question, “Why do Texans fans care so much about the team being respected nationally?” The answer is in the question: “Fans”!

finish it here (hey, just following the rules ;)): http://thezimmway.blogspot.com/2012/10/pining-for-national-respect-is-part-of.html

Rey
10-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Im not in the business of telling others how they should feel.

That said I enjoy national respect/coverage but it doesn't upset me if we don't get it. I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want. National respect and people around the country singing your praise doesn't accomplish that goal. It's just novelty.

Outlaw7
10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Im not in the business of telling others how they should feel.

That said I enjoy national respect/coverage but it doesn't upset me if we don't get it. I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want. National respect and people around the country singing your praise doesn't accomplish that goal. It's just novelty.

Agreed

badboy
10-04-2012, 10:38 PM
I think it is more that the fan wants self respect. It has to be earned, continuously. Fans continually like to think they are part of the team, impacting the team and making a difference; ego.

drunkcookie
10-04-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm of the mindset that winning and beating other people is what I ultimately want.

I think that goes without saying...

Texan_Bill
10-04-2012, 10:50 PM
EFF all the BULL****E......... Just keep winning one week at a time!!!!!!!! this week is the jets..Let' just handle that before we jerk each other off!

badboy
10-04-2012, 11:09 PM
EFF all the BULL****E......... Just keep winning one week at a time!!!!!!!! this week is the jets..Let' just handle that before we jerk each other off!Uh not sure what you have in .. er.. mind but no one handling anything of mine.

brakos82
10-04-2012, 11:10 PM
EFF all the BULL****E......... Just keep winning one week at a time!!!!!!!! this week is the jets..Let' just handle that before we jerk each other off!

:backsout:

gtexan02
10-04-2012, 11:12 PM
I feel like we're getting a lot of attention. Arian Foster was on the cover of ESPN magazine, we're the consensus #1 team in the NFL, etc

TheEastwood
10-05-2012, 05:40 AM
The thing I kept thinkin as I watched espn and nflnetwork this week was... I've never seen a 2-2 team (the definition of mediocrity) get this much attention. You would think the Jets were the only team in the league by the coverage they were getting. And even though the 4-0 Texans are the team they face next, they only mention I heard of them was in Rex Ryans press conference that nflnetwork aired repeatedly..... And I mean repeatedly. They must have shown the same PC like 15 times over the past 2 days

Hookem Horns
10-05-2012, 05:49 AM
I don't know what you guys are watching or not watching. Almost every NFL show I am seeing they are all saying the Texans are the most complete team, best in the NFL, etc etc. After the Rams/Cards game on the NFL Network someone was saying Matt Schaub so far is the NFL MVP. Another one said JJ Watt is the MVP.

All NFL power rankings I have seen have the Texans as 1. What else do you want?

If anything I think they are getting too hyped up nationally for my liking.

The Jets are getting national attention because they are a train wreck and those types of stories are great for ratings. Believe me, you don't want the Texans getting that type of media attention. I am sure every Jets fan would swap the type of media attention the Texans are getting right now with what they are getting right now.

I don't see the Giants complaining either. They just win Super Bowls while the Jets get all of the media.

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 06:53 AM
I don't know what you guys are watching or not watching. Almost every NFL show I am seeing they are all saying the Texans are the most complete team, best in the NFL, etc etc. After the Rams/Cards game on the NFL Network someone was saying Matt Schaub so far is the NFL MVP. Another one said JJ Watt is the MVP.

Not talking about people saying the Texans are the best or ranking them #1 in a poll, talking about the air-time which still lacks... And the fact they are ranked #1 in the polls and still don't get as much air-time just goes with my whole point..it is turning around, though...

Like i said in the blog, i understand why there's been a lack...truly it doesn't bother me that much.. it just really bothers me that some expect fans not to care about it, with the whole "you should just want them to win" take...if that were the case why even tune into the games? Just check back in February and see how it shook out...

SheTexan
10-05-2012, 07:48 AM
It could be that NATIONAL RESPECT is more important to the bandwagoner fans than it is to us diehards who have been here through it all!! They obviously like all the attention, and want more, esp for themselves.

Right now, I could care less what all the talking heads say, or predict. The only thing that matters to me is holding up that Lombardi come Feb, and then getting to camp out at Reliant for a year looking at it!! THAT'S the prize that will bring National RESPECT, and with that will come short term attention! Short term because we are not located on the East Coast, nor do we have a flippin star stuck on our head.

chicagotexan2
10-05-2012, 07:52 AM
I truly do not care about national attention. I cared about before when access to team info, highlights, stories, etc were not as abundant. Now I can get my Texans fix almost almost anywhere. I don't need 'flavor of the month' love'.

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Right now, I could care less what all the talking heads say, or predict. The only thing that matters to me is holding up that Lombardi come Feb, and then getting to camp out at Reliant for a year looking at it!! THAT'S the prize that will bring National RESPECT, and with that will come short term attention! Short term because we are not located on the East Coast, nor do we have a flippin star stuck on our head.

Lol...so you go from "I don't care" all the way around to "I'm bitter about it"...nice..

Fred
10-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I want Super Bowl wins. If that does or doesn't bring "respect" is irrelevant. Which NY team do you want to be? The Giants - won the Super Bowl and are number 4 in their division in terms of "buzz". Or the Jets - who suck and get tons of "buzz".

Winning brings some attention. But when you are jumping out to a 20 point every week - not that interesting (except to Texans fans). Ho-hum. The Texans won. Big. Again. Next topic. Did you see the eyeblack on Tim Tebow?

b0ng
10-05-2012, 09:11 AM
The Texans (And more specifically JJ Watt, and Matt Schaub's earlobe) have been getting lots of run lately. I certainly think that's only going to ramp up now once we get into our back to back prime time games.

Google News Results for Houston Texans (https://www.google.com/search?q=Houston+Texans&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=Houston+Texans&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=wFp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsu&source=univ&tbm=nws&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=2OpuUJLkE-Wg2QWVm4FA&ved=0CHgQqAI&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=ea59b38a3ec82222&biw=1680&bih=880)

HJam72
10-05-2012, 09:14 AM
I've been a fan since day one and I would like to see the Texans get more attention. Not getting it would never stop me from being a Texans fan, but that's how I feel about it. It's true that I can get my fix without it, but I would like to see more Texans fans in the world. I work with a guy who is a 49ers fan right now and, while I've got nothing against the 49ers, I don't want to see 49ers fans around here; I want to see more Texans fans in California. I'd be fine with it if we went to New York Monday night and their seats were half filled with Texans jerseys.

There are teams with fans all over the country, like the Steelers, and, while it's not what matters most, I'd like to see that.

PS-what I love right now is the, "Oh, $^!+" we're getting from the fans of our upcoming opponents.

SheTexan
10-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Lol...so you go from "I don't care" all the way around to "I'm bitter about it"...nice..

Sorry, I don't follow your sarcasm!

I truly don't care about the media's take on our team! They are now, and have always been, biased toward East Coast teams, and the Cowboys! Where did you read that I am "bitter about it!"

There's a big difference between respect and attention, esp when it comes to the media, and I take it that IS what we're talking about. I truly don't know what point you're directing your sarcasm!

Insideop
10-05-2012, 09:22 AM
It could be that NATIONAL RESPECT is more important to the bandwagoner fans than it is to us diehards who have been here through it all!! They obviously like all the attention, and want more, esp for themselves.

There's no guarantee that will bring any national respect either. Remember the Rocket's 1st NBA title and how they were "dissed" by the so called "national media" when, I think it was Sports Illustrated, left them off the front cover of their magazine and put some lame golf tournament coverage on the front. They backpedaled some when the Houston fans started complaining and cancelling their subscriptions, and they rushed to put out a special issue with all Rockets NBA Championship coverage.

It doesn't bother me much anymore about what the national media thinks of Houston and its sports teams. I've come to expect it from them. I guess the only revenge we have now is, in the immortal words of Al Davis (aka. "the crypt-keeper"), "Just win baby!" :)

jaayteetx
10-05-2012, 09:32 AM
I want a bunch of bandwagoners and the Texans to be the new America's team. My reason? More national and regional coverage here in New Mexico so I don't have to buy the Sunday Ticket anymore!

Playoffs
10-05-2012, 09:34 AM
"Respect" is something they yap about in prison and on street corners. Pfft.

All these media bandwagonners will be more than happy to bury a knife in our backs if we fail. They salivate at the thought.

Real fans here want wins. One after another, until it's Super Bowl time. When we win the Lombardi, I sure as heck won't be celebrating with some east coast beat writer ..... I'll be with my team and here on TT with my fellow fans.

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I will say this year everything is getting better... Here 100 miles South of Houston the shelves and hangers at Wal Mart are finally being stocked with Texans gear...just two years ago I couldn't find one shirt or hat at the La Porte/Pasadena/Whatever Wal Mart, and not because they were sold out...they only had spots for Cowboys gear...

Also, the Academy down here has finally come through... Texans hats and jerseys etc.. are about 50/50 with Cowboys stuff...last year it was about 10/90...

HJam72
10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
I will say this year everything is getting better... Here 100 miles South of Houston the shelves and hangers at Wal Mart are finally being stocked with Texans gear...just two years ago I couldn't find one shirt or hat at the La Porte/Pasadena/Whatever Wal Mart, and not because they were sold out...they only had spots for Cowboys gear...

Also, the Academy down here has finally come through... Texans hats and jerseys etc.. are about 50/50 with Cowboys stuff...last year it was about 10/90...

'Bout freakin' time that started to happen.

SheTexan
10-05-2012, 09:40 AM
There's no guarantee that will bring any national respect either. Remember the Rocket's 1st NBA title and how they were "dissed" by the so called "national media" when, I think it was Sports Illustrated, left them off the front cover of their magazine and put some lame golf tournament coverage on the front. They backpedaled some when the Houston fans started complaining and cancelling their subscriptions, and they rushed to put out a special issue with all Rockets NBA Championship coverage.

It doesn't bother me much anymore about what the national media thinks of Houston and its sports teams. I've come to expect it from them. I guess the only revenge we have now is, in the immortal words of Al Davis (aka. "the crypt-keeper"), "Just win baby!" :)

Yes, I remember that very well, and you are correct, there is no guarantee the media will respect us even if we do win a SB, which solidifies my point about them being bias. As for fans from other teams respecting us, that will come with time. I still remember all the positive comments made about our team from Ravens fans when we were there last year. One that sticks out to me was, "we have no reason to hate you." Will winning a SB give opposing teams fans a reason to "hate" us?? Who knows. I'll always "hate" the cowboys, BUT, I LOVE the Niners!

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Speaking of finally being able to find a decent selection of Texans gear at my local Academy, i picked this cap up the weekend of the 1st game...had about five choices compared to last year's one...love it!:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/05/zyjy8ube.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/05/a7e6yzed.jpg

chicagotexan2
10-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Speaking of finally being able to find a decent selection of Texans gear at my local Academy, i picked this cap up the weekend of the 1st game...had about five choices compared to last year's one...love it!:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/05/zyjy8ube.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/05/a7e6yzed.jpg

Nice hat. What's more impressive is that you actually bent the bill and removed the sticker. That alone deserves rep.

jaayteetx
10-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Man, for some reason it's hard for me to find a Texans hat that fits my head. Either too big or too tight and gives me a headache.

bo orlando
10-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Been thinking about this subject and decided to blog about it... As a Texans fan it does bother me a little that they do not get the national attention I feel they deserve. I'm not completely pissed about it, and I even understand it, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't "want it".

threw it together pretty quick today, so don't go bashing my mistakes too hard now... Thanks...

finish it here (hey, just following the rules ;)): http://thezimmway.blogspot.com/2012/10/pining-for-national-respect-is-part-of.html

Nothing more annoying in my opinion than fans (and players too) whining that their team is "disrespected" by the media. Texans are 4-0 and pretty much everybody i've read who covers the nfl has labeled them the best team in the league, with watt hyped as the breakout defensive star of the league. what do you want, for media to label them "the awesomest team ever?"

Hookem Horns
10-05-2012, 10:03 AM

I have been calling that for years, that winning will cure everything. Like or not, admit it or not, Texas (as most southern states) is full of bandwagon fans. Stores like Academy know this and stock accordingly.

If the Texans keep this up and Jerry keeps falling into his own "glory hole" you are going to see more and more fans jumping from the Cowboys to the Texans. I personally know a few myself.

You will know that the Texans finally have turned the corner when TV stations in Austin no longer cut away during the closing minutes of an early Texans game just to go to a late Cowboys game pregame show.

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Nice hat. What's more impressive is that you actually bent the bill and removed the sticker. That alone deserves rep.

Lol, it actually came semi-bent... The only cap they had last year was huuuge, wouldn't have looked good even bent...

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Nothing more annoying in my opinion than fans (and players too) whining that their team is "disrespected" by the media. Texans are 4-0 and pretty much everybody i've read who covers the nfl has labeled them the best team in the league, with watt hyped as the breakout defensive star of the league. what do you want, for media to label them "the awesomest team ever?"

I think you're missing my point... I'm not talking about national guys labeling the Texans the best, or praising our players, I'm talking about the amount of coverage... A lot of fans are talking about that when they say "respect"..

And I think a lot of people are missing my main point: for a lot of fans, soaking in national coverage is a part of their fan experience...right or wrong it is what it is... Why do people link to national stories about the Texans on this message board if we "don't" care? Why was there a huuuge thread about what Michael Lombardi said last year if we really don't care what the national media says? It's because we "do", and we want "more" (whether you're willing to admit it or not)...

Like I said, it is what it is... I admit I understand why there has been a lack, that the lack itself doesn't really bother me and that i actually do see it turning around... My blog post was more about "why" fans care, and that's because they're "fans"! Bandwagon or not...

houstonspartan
10-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Hold up. I'm confused. A good chuck of the country - and most sports writers - have us going to the Super Bowl. How is that not respect? No, we don't dominate ESPN highlights. But, so?

Staying below the radar is always a good thing, IMO.

Guys, we really need to get past this, "No one likes us!" nonsense. We are one of the best teams in the National Football League.

ChampionTexan
10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Hold up. I'm confused. A good chuck of the country - and most sports writers - have us going to the Super Bowl. How is that not respect? No, we don't dominate ESPN highlights. But, so?

Staying below the radar is always a good thing, IMO.

Guys, we really need to get past this, "No one likes us!" nonsense. We are one of the best teams in the National Football League.

As has mentioned in this thread previously, there's a big difference between respect and coverage, but there are some who seem to equate the two.

The Jets have gotten hours upon hours of national airtime lately, but I have yet to see any of it that even borders on respecting the team. The Cowboys have and will get more airtime than any team that doesn't hail from New York, yet it's been a long time (like 15 years) since any of that coverage displayed much in the way of respect for the Cowboys.

Two teams I would characterize as at or near the top of the "respect" list would be the Packers and the Steelers. While both of those teams have large national fan bases, I don't get bombarded with stories about either one of them every time I turn on ESPN/NFLN. I'm guessing both teams are okay with that, and view it, at least partially, as a sign that their level of dysfunction is very low. Heck, the Giants have won two Super Bowls in the last 5 years, and don't receive as much coverage as the Jets (but receive infinitely more respect).

As far as the Texans, if they just keep winning, I'll be happy. If you feel there's not enough national coverage of them because ESPN is focused on the mess with the Jets or Jerry's latest Papa Johns commercial, well - let's just say I don't share your angst.

houstonspartan
10-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Meanwhile, on ESPN...

Banner Year
The Texans are well on their way to clinching the AFC South, and bigger things could be on the way.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/

houstonspartan
10-05-2012, 10:59 AM
As has mentioned in this thread previously, there's a big difference between respect and coverage, but there are some who seem to equate the two.

The Jets have gotten hours upon hours of national airtime lately, but I have yet to see any of it that even borders on respecting the team. The Cowboys have and will get more airtime than any team that doesn't hail from New York, yet it's been a long time (like 15 years) since any of that coverage displayed much in the way of respect for the Cowboys.

Two teams I would characterize as at or near the top of the "respect" list would be the Packers and the Steelers. While both of those teams have large national fan bases, I don't get bombarded with stories about either one of them every time I turn on ESPN/NFLN. I'm guessing both teams are okay with that, and view it, at least partially, as a sign that their level of dysfunction is very low. Heck, the Giants have won two Super Bowls in the last 5 years, and don't receive as much coverage as the Jets (but receive infinitely more respect).

As far as the Texans, if they just keep winning, I'll be happy. If you feel there's not enough national coverage of them because ESPN is focused on the mess with the Jets or Jerry's latest Papa Johns commercial, well - let's just say I don't share your angst.

Yes, there will be people who say that the Texans are in a weak division. Or that we have a weak schedule. Or that we've played a lot of rookie quarterbacks. Or that we've played against rookie head coaches. Or that we're only winning because Manning is no longer our nemesis. Or that our retractable roof shades us from heat. Or that we're paying off the refs. Or that Gary Kubiak is part of the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdaline. Or that we're forever cursed because we never drafted Vince Young. Or that we're doomed because we let Mario go. Or that Arian being a vegan makes him weak and he'll eventually collapse.

Who cares?????

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 11:03 AM

It depends on how the word respect is used.. by the true definition you're right in that it probably doesn't apply to this situation (lack of coverage).. But in how Rodney Dangerfield used it for an example, it for sure applies to the "lack of coverage" IMO...

I'll say it again and again, the "lack" doesn't really bother me as much either... but for fans it does bother, I understand them because it is a part of being a fan for a lot of people...

I'm not black or white on this issue... Just something i wanted to hit on...

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Who cares?????

A lot of fans do?

Point completely missed...

houstonspartan
10-05-2012, 11:08 AM
A lot of fans do?

Point completely missed...

Oh, I got your point. I just disagree. Those fans that care are simply wrong, and are putting their energies in the wrong place.

drunkcookie
10-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Oh, I got your point. I just disagree. Those fans that care are simply wrong, and are putting their energies in the wrong place.

Disagreeing with them is fine... But they're not players...buying into the hype of their team effects their team's record by 0.. I don't know how it's wrong for a fan to want to see more hype nationally (which is what they want, or ESPN would have never gotten as big as it did)..it may not be for you or me, but if it is for them, i'm saying i get it...

Now doing the wave when the O is on the field? That is "wrong" because the noise "can" effect the team...

Mailman
10-05-2012, 12:22 PM
I've just skimmed the thread so my apologies if this has already been said but I disagree with the notion that the Texans aren't getting any national attention or respect. I watch a lot of NFL Network and they are constantly praising the Texans, calling this team the best, most complete team in the league. It's almost a universal opinion at this point. The Texans are dominating the power rankings discussion almost as much as the Packers did last year while they remained unbeaten.

One easy solution to the perceived problem of the Texans not getting enough attention? STOP WATCHING FIRST TAKE.

That show is terrible and Skip Bayless is way behind the times on all things Houston sports. He will never give this team a proper analysis because he's wrapped up in his preconceived beliefs about the Best Teams in Sports. Also, the Texans don't generate much controversy either way so there's no place for those two assclowns to talk about them being the best team in the league.

Winning cures everything, however. They'll figure it out eventually.

Double Barrel
10-05-2012, 12:36 PM

If anything I think they are getting too hyped up nationally for my liking.

The Jets are getting national attention because they are a train wreck and those types of stories are great for ratings. Believe me, you don't want the Texans getting that type of media attention. I am sure every Jets fan would swap the type of media attention the Texans are getting right now with what they are getting right now.

I don't see the Giants complaining either. They just win Super Bowls while the Jets get all of the media.

All the positive pub makes me nervous, as well. Too many times in NFL history has the teams that jumped out at the beginning of a season melted down later in the season. While I do not think this will happen with the Texans, we don't know until that time comes to pass.

I want this team to stay hungry and never let up on the gas pedal. Too much hype can often lull teams into a sense of perceived greatness before they achieve actual greatness. Hopefully Kubiak's personality is shaping the mindset of this team, and I believe it has already, so they keep their noses to the grindstone and only see the publicity in hindsight of enjoying an NFL championship season.

Man, for some reason it's hard for me to find a Texans hat that fits my head. Either too big or too tight and gives me a headache.

I've got the same problem. Must be big brains. You can find some hats out there that are "L/XL", and those are super comfy for our massive-brained domes. :cowboy1:

Trail.Blazr
10-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Not talking about people saying the Texans are the best or ranking them #1 in a poll, talking about the air-time which still lacks... And the fact they are ranked #1 in the polls and still don't get as much air-time just goes with my whole point..it is turning around, though...

Like i said in the blog, i understand why there's been a lack...truly it doesn't bother me that much.. it just really bothers me that some expect fans not to care about it, with the whole "you should just want them to win" take...if that were the case why even tune into the games? Just check back in February and see how it shook out...

It seems that anyone who spends time watching media has recognized that the Texans ARE getting recognition from the talking heads in form of an almost consensus "best Team in NFL"-ish type banter. I was just thinking in the past few days, that despite this, as I sit in front of the TV or listen on the radio(mind you I am in NC), national correspondents still seem to be lacking in air time as Drunken Cookie suggests. While some want to maybe interpret that as a lack of respect, which is fine.. I don't care about their respect... I care about Score Board. But, what I do NOT like is stemming from the fact that when I do actually sit in on a national broadcast, being a fan, I'm definitely anxious to get as much insight, knowledge, opinion, info.. whatever about MY team as I can. And given the old notion that we've all heard throw around... it comes with winning..... Now we ARE winning and have this engrained sense of entitlement that I should be witnessing the lion share of air time for MY team for once :-) Granted.. as a franchise-long fan, I recognize an increase and am ecstatic in what I do hear.. Just longing for more. Meanwhile, Jets fans, on the inverse may be having the opposite effect in that they are hearing TOO much of what they don't want to hear!

Personally, I've settled on the notion, that as of today, Houston being one of 2 remaining unbeaten teams in the NFL after 4 weeks, kind of forces the media to recognize they have likely arrived. If the winning continues, and say we find the team sitting at 8-0 or 9-0 (I believe its possible/borderline probable), those talking heads will transition from recognizing to really believing as well. It's easy for me to believe... I've been hopefully anticipating the day belief becomes reality and with each passing week, I'm savoring the heightened sense of pride I feel that I personally can't imagine being able to feel if not for the past ups and DOWNS I've endured following practically every game since Sept. 8, 2002.

It's a GREAT year to be a Texan Fan.

drs23
10-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Just longing for more. Meanwhile, Jets fans, on the inverse may be having the opposite effect in that they are hearing TOO much of what they don't want to hear!

snip...I like what I'm hearing as well. To the bolded, Believe it! Just go read their boards!

Personally, I've settled on the notion, that as of today, Houston being one of 2 remaining unbeaten teams in the NFL after 4 weeks, kind of forces the media to recognize they have likely arrived. If the winning continues, and say we find the team sitting at 8-0 or 9-0 (I believe its possible/borderline probable), those talking heads will transition from recognizing to really believing as well. It's easy for me to believe... I've been hopefully anticipating the day belief becomes reality and with each passing week, I'm savoring the heightened sense of pride I feel that I personally can't imagine being able to feel if not for the past ups and DOWNS I've endured following practically every game since Sept. 8, 2002.

I'm with you on the bolded as well. I was talking to members of the Blue Crew before & after the game Sunday. While trying to maintain the "one game at a time" mindset and focus that the team lives by, it's dadgum difficult for this fan.

My mindset is after we win it all I don't want to see the imaginary asterisk by our season. My point being we need to beat the big 3 on our schedule starting with the Ravens, followed by the Pack and then the Bradys and continue to win the games we're 'supposed' to win. If we can sweep these 3 Big games we are So There. That's a bye and homefield for the playoffs. When the season began I was including the Lions as well but at this point I think they will make Turkey Day even that much more enjoyable. I didn't give the Vikes a second thought, that's slowly changing. Call me a :homer: if ya wanna but I feel I'm just being optimistic :).

It's a GREAT year to be a Texan Fan.

I saw that Peter King quote on MMQB and couldn't agree more. Great post, thanks.

Go Texans! :texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
10-05-2012, 03:22 PM
USA relates the Texans past "respect" problems and their climb on the status pole.

Texans very ready for primetime (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/10/04/houston-texans/1614447/)
Jim Corbett, USA TODAY Sports

Given that the Texans are 0-5 in prime-time road games, Monday represents an important steppingstone game.

"As an organization we still have a lot to prove," Cushing says. "Yeah, we're 4-0 for the first time. Until last year, we'd never won a playoff game. People are going to continue to doubt us until we really prove ourselves as an organization.

"This is a chance to show we're for real.

"To be 4-0, a lot of America will be watching to see if we're legit or not. But we'll prove it."

The wounded Jets (2-2), reeling from a 34-0 trampling by the San Francisco 49ers, figure to be dangerous even after losing top receiver Santonio Holmes to a season-ending Lisfranc foot injury.

The Jets are 2-0 vs. the Texans with Rex Ryan as coach and Mark Sanchez at quarterback.

Ryan was embarrassed by his team's inept performance against the 49ers, as his vaunted defense surrendered 245 rushing yards and three touchdowns and was accused of quitting by San Francisco cornerback Carlos Rogers.

"Obviously, we have to get a heck of a lot better, and we have to do it in a hurry," Ryan said. "This football team we're playing is arguably the best team in the league.

"I don't know what to say. But I'd much rather play my son's high school team than the Houston Texans."Rest of story (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/10/04/houston-texans/1614447/)

Word should be fed back to Ryan that the Texans, on the other hand, WILL be playing a high school team this Monday night.:kitten: