PDA

View Full Version : Quinton Demps to miss Games?

Bleed_Blu_Red
10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
The injury list is growing after the 38-14 win over Tennessee.

Strong safety Quintin Demps underwent surgery for the second consecutive week and will miss a few games. He had surgery to repair a broken left forearm Monday. Last week, he had surgery on a broken right thumb but played with a cast.

Its not a season-ending situation, but I know hes going to miss some time, coach Gary Kubiak said.

Think we either call up Pleasent or activate Brandon Harris and play Ball at Safety sucks we will be thin in the secondary but should be ok.

TimeKiller
10-02-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm having a hard time believing McCain is still outplaying Harris anyway. I know they think highly of Pleasant though, so interesting to see which way this cookie crumbles.

Corrosion
10-02-2012, 10:58 AM
The injury list is growing after the 38-14 win over Tennessee.

Strong safety Quintin Demps underwent surgery for the second consecutive week and will miss a few games. He had surgery to repair a broken left forearm Monday. Last week, he had surgery on a broken right thumb but played with a cast.

Its not a season-ending situation, but I know hes going to miss some time, coach Gary Kubiak said.

Think we either call up Pleasent or activate Brandon Harris and play Ball at Safety sucks we will be thin in the secondary but should be ok.

I think we'll see Ball & Keo as the extra safety .... Balls skillset is probably better suited for the S spot than CB .... He wont have to get his head around as often in man coverage and can react to the ball much like a CB playing in zone or breaking on a route - Things he does well.

If thats the case , I have to wonder if they replace him on ST .... but he has been really good there always around the ball and one of the first to arrive on the scene.

Bleed_Blu_Red
10-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I think we'll see Ball & Keo as the extra safety .... Balls skillset is probably better suited for the S spot than CB .... He wont have to get his head around as often in man coverage and can react to the ball much like a CB playing in zone or breaking on a route - Things he does well.

If thats the case , I have to wonder if they replace him on ST .... but he has been really good there always around the ball and one of the first to arrive on the scene.

Agreed on ST Ball is solid, I never liked him period but maybe Safety is a good thing for him.

Bleed_Blu_Red
10-02-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm having a hard time believing McCain is still outplaying Harris anyway. I know they think highly of Pleasant though, so interesting to see which way this cookie crumbles.

Ya I haven't really ever been a McCain fan. I have been real Disappointed that we have been putting Harris on the inactive list. Hopefully he gets his shot now.

Premier
10-02-2012, 11:36 AM
demps has casts on both arms.. things are about to get real awkward at home for him..

Rey
10-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Why would they replace him on special teams?

He's stepping in for a back up safety, not a starting safety. I know we play the three safety look a lot, but I'm pretty sure he can still play special teams.

Bleed_Blu_Red
10-02-2012, 11:47 AM
demps has casts on both arms.. things are about to get real awkward at home for him..

I noticed that Sunday too I was like WTH does he have wrist/hand issues on both arms?

76Texan
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Two guys the Texans might bring in are Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Mark Legree.
Both have bounced around the league for a while now.

AOA was drafted by Wade Phillips in the fourth round in 2010 as a CB.
He ran 4.32 at the combine.
Teams have been trying him at CB, safety, and WR but he hasn't been able to stick with any team.
He had his second stint with the Cowboys last year but did not make the final cut.
He was last cut by the Raiders on Sep 27.

Mark Legree was drafted in the 5th round in 2011 by the Seahawks.
He had 22 INTS in his 3 years at Appalachian St.
He ran a 4.49 at the combine.
He's currently on the Falcons PS.

76Texan
10-02-2012, 11:57 AM

He's stepping in for a back up safety, not a starting safety. I know we play the three safety look a lot, but I'm pretty sure he can still play special teams.

Right!

I'm pretty sure most of the guys (if not all) in the secondary play here and there on ST.

I've seen Quin, Jackson, Allen (when he was here), Demps, and McCain on ST.
I think I've seen JJo and Manning (not just as a returner) as well.

Dutchrudder
10-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Two guys the Texans might bring in are Akwasi Owusu-Ansah and Mark Legree.
Both have bounced around the league for a while now.

AOA was drafted by Wade Phillips in the fourth round in 2010 as a CB.
He ran 4.32 at the combine.
Teams have been trying him at CB, safety, and WR but he hasn't been able to stick with any team.
He had his second stint with the Cowboys last year but did not make the final cut.
He was last cut by the Raiders on Sep 27.

Mark Legree was drafted in the 5th round in 2011 by the Seahawks.
He had 22 INTS in his 3 years at Appalachian St.
He ran a 4.49 at the combine.
He's currently on the Falcons PS.

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah was also a returnman for the Cowboys, so maybe he could displace Holliday. Might be good to open up another roster spot for depth.

76Texan
10-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I noticed that Sunday too I was like WTH does he have wrist/hand issues on both arms?

He played with a cast on his right thumb.

He suffered a broken left forearm during the game and now has cast on both sides.

Corrosion
10-02-2012, 12:06 PM

You answered your own question with the bold.

I dont know that they will take him off ST .... But being so thin at the S spot with Demps out and Keo suffering an injury too .... That could force Harris and Carmichael to the active list and a spot on coverage teams.

I think it has to be considered with the lack of healthy depth there.

Right!

I'm pretty sure most of the guys (if not all) in the secondary play here and there on ST.

I've seen Quin, Jackson, Allen (when he was here), Demps, and McCain on ST.
I think I've seen JJo and Manning (not just as a returner) as well.

J-Jo does not play ST and neither does Manning outside of returns and with Tricycle on the roster .... he wont.

The rest are on coverage teams.

mokalus
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Troy Nolan lookin' real good right about now.

Errant Hothy
10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Mark Berman just twetted that Nolan has been resigned.

Rey
10-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Who gets cut?

John Beck?

Trindon? (I hope not)

Nading?

Gardener?

drs23
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Who gets cut?

John Beck?

Trindon? (I hope not)

Nading?

Gardener?

He's as good a guess as any.

Bleed_Blu_Red
10-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Who gets cut?

John Beck?

Trindon? (I hope not)

Nading?

Gardener?

I think Beck since Caldwell got injured doubt we Just have Harris as are only extra olineman with the exception of Brooks but he has yet to play he is always inactive.

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Demps' right thumb cast could have easily been missed Sunday in that it was made to blend in so well with his jersey.

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Demps-584x420.jpg

Corrosion
10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Who gets cut?

John Beck?

Trindon? (I hope not)

Nading?

Gardener?

He's as good a guess as any.

I think Beck since Caldwell got injured doubt we Just have Harris as are only extra olineman with the exception of Brooks but he has yet to play he is always inactive.

I dont think Caldwell's injury factors in as he's a guard and Gardner is a tackle while they have both Jones and Brandon Brooks to back that spot up.

If Holliday got cut , he's be picked up instantly.

Dont think it'll be Beck ... but he'd be my second option.

Nading can play all the LBer positions and is solid on ST - cant see letting that quality depth go.

Gardner - He's who I would cut. THink he was horrible in preseason , still wondering how he has hung around this long since Harris has already passed him on the depth chart.

76Texan
10-04-2012, 03:42 PM
J-Jo does not play ST and neither does Manning outside of returns and with Tricycle on the roster .... he wont.

Rob,

According to Football Outsiders both of them have seen time on ST.

JJo was in for 3 snaps and Manning 13.

BTW, Kareem Jackson currently leads all DBs in snap counts on defense.

CloakNNNdagger
10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Rob,

I would guess that this would be more for PR rather than KR.

Rey
10-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Rob,

A lot of the starters play some special teams...GQ, A. Smith...I've seen them in on some special teams too...

Also, If I'm not mistaken in that last game against the Titans Kareem played the whole game and Joseph was pulled out and McCain took his spot... Icould be wrong..going off memory...

76Texan
10-04-2012, 04:54 PM
A lot of the starters play some special teams...GQ, A. Smith...I've seen them in on some special teams too...

Also, If I'm not mistaken in that last game against the Titans Kareem played the whole game and Joseph was pulled out and McCain took his spot... Icould be wrong..going off memory...

Against the Titans, there were 62 defensive snaps.
Manning played all of them.
Quin had 55 snaps.
JJo had 56 and Jackson had 59.

McCain (40) and Ball (14) took a few of those at CBs and played the slot on other snaps.

The earliest I've seen those two at outside CB was actually in game one against the Dolphins when JJo rested for 8 plays while Kareem played all 62 snaps.

76Texan
10-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I would guess that this would be more for PR rather than KR.

Sorry Doc, I don't have the break down.
But I believe that some guys do have more specific duties like you just mention.