PDA

View Full Version : Colts head coach Chuck Pagano diagnosed with leukemia

Playoffs
10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Colts coach Chuck Pagano diagnosed with leukemia (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/01/report-chuck-pagano-will-miss-several-games-with-serious-illness/)

Colts coach Chuck Pagano is dealing with a serious illness that will cause him to miss several games...Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians will take over as interim head coach while Pagano is out.

Prayers out for Chuck Pagano & family.

GP
10-01-2012, 09:32 AM
Oh goodness. That is very disheartening.

Prayers to the Pagano family. Praying that God blesses them with recovery and peace of mind.

TexansBlood
10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
They said he is expected to make full recovery but he will be out 6 weeks.

Playoffs
10-01-2012, 12:10 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2012/10/01/indianpolis-colts-chuck-pagano-facing-cancer/1605495/
Indianapolis Colts Head Coach Chuck Pagano will undergo four to six months of treatment, including chemotherapy, to treat acute promyelocytic leukemia, the team announced in a press conference Monday morning.

While Pagano is anxious to return, Colts owner Jim Irsay conceded the battle with this disease will be a marathon and the coach isn't expected to return in a regular full-time capacity this season.
The outlook from Larry Cripe of Indiana University Health Simon Cancer Center is promising. APL or APML is considered one of the more curable forms of the disease with a high percentage for remission.
According to an Indiana University Health release, most adults with this disease achieve remission. A small percentage of about 1,300 adults diagnosed each year die from complications and a few do not respond to initial therapy, the news release reported.

If Pagano achieves remission, he could continue receiving therapy for as much as two years, according to a Indiana University Health.

As requested by Pagano, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has been named interim coach.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Wow! This is the 1st I'm hearing about this. Thank goodness he'll make a full recovery. Nasty, nasty disease

10-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Man, this really sucks. My thoughts go out to Chuck and his family. One of my best friends passed away in April at the age of 24 from leukemia... he was diagnosed back in August 2009. I really hope Chuck can beat it.

SheTexan
10-01-2012, 04:27 PM
My prayers sent for him and his family! Times like this is when football just doesn't seem to matter. I pray the docs are right, and he goes into remission.

BigWig
10-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Definately will jump in here and send some prayers also, its so sad how things like this just show up when we think all is well.

Seņor Stan
10-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Wow, that is terrible news. Will be praying for him and his family!

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2012, 09:20 PM
APML is a rare variant of leukemia. It wasn't that long ago that it was a unequivocal immediate death sentence. If you are going to be diagnosed with leukemia, today this is as favorable as it probably gets. These are commonly treated with an offshoot substance of Vitamin A an old trick stolen from Oriental herbal medicine. 80% of patients will initially attain a total remission. For those that don't totally respond, they discovered that using an older trick (around 400 BC) of Hippocrates , adding a pinch of arsenic was very likely to do the trick. Today APML patients are expected to essentially show 100% survival for at least 5 years.

Prayer and thoughts to him and his family.