PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about the big fat elephant in the room for a second...

BullNation4Life
09-30-2012, 11:17 PM
What the hell is up with the run defense this year? Are they missing Demeco that badly? It doesn't seem as consistent and it did last season...

This maybe in another thread and I didn't feel like searching, but damn!

I mean this guy >:koolaid:< could run through some of the holes Johnson ran through today...

Playoffs
09-30-2012, 11:22 PM
Kubiak...
(on if he’s worried about the run defense, especially after Titans RB Chris Johnson’s breakout game today) “They had a lot of yards at the end of the game too. I don’t know statistically how it comes out. You also have to go back and look at what took place before that last drive when they were running all the draws and we were in that situation. One of the good things is we have had some leads. If we’ve got some leads and people are going to commit to running the football it’s a good thing for our team. You have to look at how the game is going, what you’re trying to do to win, and all I know is we are playing darn good defense. There are always some things you can do better, and obviously that is one of them. We could run the ball better, too. I didn’t like the way we ran today.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-After-Week-4-win/2074f864-cef0-4af1-8c04-e5c071f04e92

Showtime100
09-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I thought you were going to talk about offense on 3rd and 1 or the red zone.

DX-TEX
09-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Kubiak...

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-After-Week-4-win/2074f864-cef0-4af1-8c04-e5c071f04e92

LOTS of CJ's yards came in basically garbage time. I dont believe he was over a 100 until then. Wade also pulled most of our defensive starters the last couple series.

Lucky
09-30-2012, 11:28 PM
What the hell is up with the run defense this year? ...
Does it matter that the Titans preferred to get some meaningless yards on the ground once the game was in hand? They ran for over 100 yards in the 2nd half when the game was already in hand for the Texans. The Titans were afraid to pass. When Watt & Co. weren't dismantling their QBs, the Texans secondary were posing in the end zone. The run defense was and has been a non-issue.

gtexan02
09-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Before the game thsi week we were ranked 5th in overall run defense.
We were allowing 67 yards per game (5th)
We had forced 4 fumbles (1st)
We had allowed zero touchdowns (1st)
We were giving up 3.8 yards per carry (10th)

CJ1K racked up a bunch of meaningless stats in garbage time. What exactly are we worried about?
And what do you mean about consistency? This was the first "big" game we've had against us on the ground all year

SCOTTexans
09-30-2012, 11:44 PM
Having the Titans run meaningless, works for me.... they where just running down the clock for us

Showtime100
09-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Having the Titans run meaningless, works for me.... they where just running down the clock for us

What?

Jackie Chiles
09-30-2012, 11:54 PM
There's certainly room for improvement on this front but aren't we being a little overly dramatic? Elephant in the room, really? There might be something in the room but it sure ain't an elephant. At least you didn't go with "Houston, we have a problem."

Stemp
09-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Went through the play by play
1st Quarter - 4 runs for 21 yards (5.25 avg , long of 13)
2nd Quarter - 6 runs for 37 yards (6.16 avg, long of 19)
3rd Quarter - 7 runs for 28 yards (4.0 avg, long of 9)
4th Quarter - 8 runs for 55 yards (6.8 avg, long of 15)

So Johnson got over a third of his yards in the 4th quarter, basically garbage time.

Now, also remember that Locker went down early in the first, so the D had to switch from scheming against a running QB to a pure pocket passer, which meant fewer players in the box.

drunkcookie
09-30-2012, 11:56 PM
I'm not too too worried, as they buckle down when they need to...but on a few of those good runs early on by Johnson, the Texans front was plain beat and walled off...not sure what to think there because they've actually looked good in the other games (against Mia, Bush was doing a helluva job more than Texans a bad one, today CJSUKs just had to hit one hole and veer outside)...

Jackie Chiles
09-30-2012, 11:56 PM
Went through the play by play
1st Quarter - 4 runs for 21 yards (5.25 avg , long of 13)
2nd Quarter - 6 runs for 37 yards (6.16 avg, long of 19)
3rd Quarter - 7 runs for 28 yards (4.0 avg, long of 9)
4th Quarter - 8 runs for 55 yards (6.8 avg, long of 15)

So Johnson got over a third of his yards in the 4th quarter, basically garbage time.

Now, also remember that Locker went down early in the first, so the D had to switch from scheming against a running QB to a pure pocket passer, which meant fewer players in the box.

No need to discredit the Tacks, CJ looked good (second time in a year and half?) and their o-line opened up some holes for him. I never felt like we were being gashed and the bottom line is 38-14.

Brisco_County
09-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I think the OP is on to something relevant. Chris Johnson didn't get all of his yards in garbage time, and the run defense is not where it was last year. That was apparent in the Dolphins game. I think that Demeco's presence is missed. Not as much for his physical ability, but for his football intelligence.

gtexan02
10-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I think the OP is on to something relevant. Chris Johnson didn't get all of his yards in garbage time, and the run defense is not where it was last year. That was apparent in the Dolphins game. I think that Demeco's presence is missed. Not as much for his physical ability, but for his football intelligence.

We gave up 79 yards against the Dolphins. They averaged 4.2 yards per carry. We gave up 0 touchdowns. We forced 2 (3?) fumbles.

In 2011 our rushing defense gave up 96 yards per game. Other teams averaged 4.1 yards per carry. We gave up 8 TDs (0.5 per game). We forced 8 fumbles (0.5 per game).

So not to be rude, but what are you talking about? Our run defense was nearly identical to 2011. In fact, we were arguably better in many respects.

By the way, the Dolphins are averaging 178 yards per game against teams not named the Texans. So yeah, holding them to 79 is pretty damn good.

Norg
10-01-2012, 12:08 AM
i think its because we run a 3-4 D and are still not doing our jobs it could also be personal lets face it Dobbins is not a wolrd class ILB and i like cody but hes deff not the COg Runn stopper that forces DOuble teams and everythinf outside

and thoes are the two guys up the middle soooo its got to be on them losing Sharpton was pretty big IMO if he was here our run stop would be better

SCOTTexans
10-01-2012, 12:21 AM
What?

The Titans kept running the ball even though they were 2 scores behind... they were getting shut down everywhere else.. as i said they were just running out the clock on themselves with no chance of catching back up

toronto
10-01-2012, 12:23 AM
When you win a game 38-14 that includes one garbage TD as part of that 14....then IMO you have little to worry about on that front.

Your defense is stout and one of the best, if not the best in football. As I said elsewhere, just stay healthy.

Corrosion
10-01-2012, 12:26 AM
LOTS of CJ's yards came in basically garbage time. I dont believe he was over a 100 until then. Wade also pulled most of our defensive starters the last couple series.

He had 58 at halftime. Thats not a bad half's work for any RB .... and the score was close enough that they could still run at that time.

Anything after 28-7 .... I'll concede as garbage time. But they did run effectively in the first half.

Concerned ? Not really but as Kubiak said , there are always things you can do better.

SteveSlaton20
10-01-2012, 12:27 AM
not that worry about the run game, but i'd take demeco back for bradie james in a heart beat.

Brandon420tx
10-01-2012, 12:34 AM
58 yards in one half isn't exactly gashing a team

Brisco_County
10-01-2012, 12:36 AM
We gave up 79 yards against the Dolphins. They averaged 4.2 yards per carry. We gave up 0 touchdowns. We forced 2 (3?) fumbles.

In 2011 our rushing defense gave up 96 yards per game. Other teams averaged 4.1 yards per carry. We gave up 8 TDs (0.5 per game). We forced 8 fumbles (0.5 per game).

So not to be rude, but what are you talking about? Our run defense was nearly identical to 2011. In fact, we were arguably better in many respects.

By the way, the Dolphins are averaging 178 yards per game against teams not named the Texans. So yeah, holding them to 79 is pretty damn good.

I saw running lanes being imposed on consecutive downs that were concerning, especially by a team that hasn't been able to run the ball until they got to Houston. If the numbers indicate that there's nothing to worry about, then I welcome being proven wrong.

gtexan02
10-01-2012, 12:57 AM
I saw running lanes being imposed on consecutive downs that were concerning, especially by a team that hasn't been able to run the ball until they got to Houston. If the numbers indicate that there's nothing to worry about, then I welcome being proven wrong.

Today I agree. We gave up a lot of yards on the ground to a team that hasn't shown anything this season. Anything.

But the Miami game was blown out of proportion. They have a very good running team this season. They put up 90 on the Cardinals who have an excellent defense as well, and that was with Bush at half speed

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 01:18 AM
So they had 86 yards on 17 carries through 3 quarters (that's over 5YPC) and most everyone is just brushing it off like no big deal? OK, it's not a big deal, I get that. But it's a potential pitfall. How many yards total did Foster rack up, by the way?

Corrosion
10-01-2012, 01:21 AM
58 yards in one half isn't exactly gashing a team

No , its not gashing a team but it is effective rushing .... which keeps a defense off balance and can lead to big plays off of play action.

The Texans had 51 rushing yards at the half .... (went back over the play by play on NFL.com).

Stemp
10-01-2012, 01:22 AM
So they had 86 yards on 17 carries through 3 quarters (that's over 5YPC) and most everyone is just brushing it off like no big deal? OK, it's not a big deal, I get that. But it's a potential pitfall. How many yards total did Foster rack up, by the way?

It was 1 GAME! We've played run defense well for 3 weeks and wehave one subpar game in that regard in a blowout and people are trying to make a big deal about it. No team is going to be great against the run every single game. If the Jets or Packers gouge us for big yards we'll be concerned, but for now, expect the coaches to clean it up.

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 01:24 AM
It was 1 GAME! We've played run defense well for 3 weeks and wehave one subpar game in that regard in a blowout and people are trying to make a big deal about it. No team is going to be good against the run every single game. If someone the Jets or Packers gouge us for big yards we'll be concerned, but for now, expect the coaches to clean it up.

Well, I don't know what "people" are trying to do, but since you quoted my post, I'll redirect you to the relevant section that you must have overlooked:

OK, it's not a big deal, I get that. But it's a potential pitfall.

Stemp
10-01-2012, 01:30 AM
Well, I don't know what "people" are trying to do, but since you quoted my post, I'll redirect you to the relevant section that you must have overlooked:

Everything is a potential pitfall.

- Potential Injuries
- Running yards (less than 100 for the game)
- Lack of catches for AJ (only 4 for 56)
- Lack of production by other WR (3 for 27)

I don't see why people want to look at downside of things.

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Everything is a potential pitfall.

- Potential Injuries
- Running yards (less than 100 for the game)
- Lack of catches for AJ (only 4 for 56)
- Lack of production by other WR (3 for 27)

I don't see why people want to look at downside of things.

We have no reason to worry about injuries yet, because they haven't been cropping up. When they do, there will be plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth.

We have no reason to worry about AJ, because he's been making explosive plays when they've targeted him. They haven't needed to target him more, so there's no cause for concern yet. The next time he trips over a yard marker, the concern will crop up.

We have no reason to be concerned about the production of the other WRs, aside from a couple drops from Keshawn Martin, because they haven't presented as symptoms yet. On balance, the #2 WR (OD) has been doing well, the #3WR (KW) has been doing well, and no one worries about the #4 or lower WR, for the most part.

Now, let's talk about actual symptoms that have cropped up -- the running game on both sides of the ball. It's been a problem. It hasn't cost a game yet, but it's been a problem. So it's a small problem, and not a big deal yet. But it's there, unlike the other issues you mention.

I trust you can tell the difference.

Grid
10-01-2012, 01:46 AM
I look at the yards per attempt...and that is what worries me. You have to consider that we had them playing from behind the entire game, and we also won the time of possession war. So even though the total rushing yards that CJ got in the first three quarters was not huge, if you consider his yards per attempt.. it is actually pretty scary numbers.

I am not worried about it yet though. Last week the Titans won their game because of big plays, and I have a feeling that we came into this game with the mindset on defense that we had to prevent the big play. So stopping CJ from running the ball wasnt really at the top of our "to do list". I mean the guy was averaging 2 yards per carry before this week... not exactly their biggest threat.

So im hoping that the issue was simply that we were more interested in preventing them from chunking us, than running it. But it is definitely something that im gonna be keeping a close eye on from now on. Since week 1 ive felt that stopping the run was our defense's biggest weakness this year. If we go up against a team that can go toe-to-toe with us offensively.. and we find ourselves in a shootout...thats when im gonna be more interested in seeing what our defense can do to stop the run.

Im very wary of the next two weeks... Jets and Packers, and I dont want to jinx it by looking too far ahead.. BUT... I feel like our next BIG challenge is gonna be week 7 against the Ravens. That is a team that is capable on both sides of the ball just like us. And Ray Rice is definitely no slouch at RB. We could see ourselves in a situation where stopping the run is tantamount to staying in the game.

dream_team
10-01-2012, 02:13 AM
I share the OP's concern. Even last season, if I had to pick a weakness of the Texans D, I would say they can be ran on up the middle. Now that Demeco is gone, they have gotten even worse. I even thinking Cushing is not playing as well as he did last season.

Our best defense against the run is actually our offense. Our offense has gotten into big leads so early, it has forced teams to abandon the run. In the Titans case, they didn't abandon it and ended up rushing over 100 yards.

I'm actually quite surprised we've been winning these games so easily. We haven't been running the ball all that well, and haven't been stopping the run all that well. Does that just show how good this team is? Not everything is clicking right now, but still dominating teams.

Vinny
10-01-2012, 02:41 AM
DeMeco was very, very instinctive in the middle here for years and we were a little spoiled when it comes to middle linebacker play. Ryans would diagnose a play and get to the back much sooner than anyone we have in the middle now...I see it. Cushing isn't nearly as clean to the correct gap as Ryans was in his prime...he never will be either, but this isn't criticism of him as much as it is praise for Ryans. We played well without him last year too though -we rally to the ball really well. We overcome less instinctive MLB play with great team speed.

ItsMyFault
10-01-2012, 02:51 AM
Rush defense definitely needs to improve. We have some premier rushers coming up on this schedule.

Ray Rice
Matt Forte
MJD
Ridley
AP

Brandon420tx
10-01-2012, 03:23 AM
We were in 3 safety sets most of the game, not even talking 4th quarter. We protected the outside and didn't respect their ability to run up the gut at all, I just watch the game on NFL rewind and that's what I took out of it. Even though we were giving them the gaps inside of the DE's they were not taking them at all as often as they should have.

Thorn
10-01-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm more worried about OUR run game than the other guys.

TimeKiller
10-01-2012, 08:14 AM
not that worry about the run game, but i'd take demeco back for bradie james in a heart beat.

x2

I'd say the NT is the biggest issue stopping the run. Looked like Cody and Mitchell were getting flat out blown off the ball. Perhaps it is the mindset Wade prefers, to get upfield that allows some penetration from the offense? The numbers don't really match the feel of the game, save about 2 runs the Texans were never really getting hurt by Chris Johnson. The laughable attempt to appease fantasy football owners in the 4th was just embarrassing. They couldn't even run REAL running plays against a 2nd team defense.

msbbc833
10-01-2012, 08:39 AM

Agreed. It seems Foster keeps getting these 3.5 YPC games while every other team is getting 5.x YPC on us.

wildroot
10-01-2012, 09:05 AM

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yeah, me too. Foster was averaging 4.9 YPC in 2010...now he's down to 3.7. I'm just not seeing those breakout runs anymore.

TheIronDuke
10-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Saw the thread title and was like, my ex wife posts on TT?

Anyways, as has been said, CJ got a lot of yards in garbage time. I also think our 3rd down run defense is pretty good which to me is most important. Sure we might give up a couple of big runs but when it's time to stop the run, we do.

EllisUnit
10-01-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm more worried about our run offense than our run defense TBH. We've won 3 of our 4 games by 20 or more points. And to me the running game has been below par IMO, with all stats aside.

Texanmike02
10-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Honestly, its hard to worry about much when you have beaten 3 of 4 opponents by 20+ pts. Once we were up 2 scores I don't think we paid much attention to CJ. If they wanted to run the ball I was good with it. They didn't break off a 40 yard run, they didn't move the ball in chunks and they had quite a few TFL when they ran the ball. If they were running the ball for 4 or 5 yards EVERY time then I would be worried. They only converted on 4-12 (33%) of their third down attempts and two of those were on that last drive in the 4th. That would mean that prior to that drive they were 2 of 10 on 3rd down attempts. I don't care how much you rush for, if you are getting off the field on 3rd down like that then we are good.

I'm a little bit more worried about our running game but when teams are daring us to pass we are passing efficiently. Teams are going to try to take away the run or the pass, they can't take away both. The moment teams start devoting to stop the pass our running game will take off again.

Mike

GP
10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Arian Foster. I got sucked into thinking that his vegan food diet wouldn't be a problem. My instincts told me it would be a problem, but I ignored it and decided that he would have the funds and the connections, and the smarts, to find ways to compensate and stay that same explosive self that he's always been.

But, unfortunately, I don't see the same Foster this year. And don't toss out how the right side of the line is worse. He's not hitting his cutbacks as quickly, he's not bursting through the gaps like he did last year, and he is a liability on short distances on 3rd downs. He just doesn't appear to be the same.

Now, granted, he still is getting TDs. He's still getting 80 to 100 yards every game. He looks like he's 90%, which is still really good. But nobody can sit here with a straight face and say he looks JUST like the guy he has been the past few years.

I'm still a fan, and I know somebody is going to quote me and take me out of context on it. But for those who have comprehension skills, you can see that I'm only saying that he doesn't look the same. Still a fan, not hating, thinking that he's at 90% of his old self, but he could be better if he'd drop the vegan stuff.

Premier
10-01-2012, 10:10 AM
cj racked up a ton of yards but didnt go anywhere..

BlueSteel
10-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Arian Foster. I got sucked into thinking that his vegan food diet wouldn't be a problem. My instincts told me it would be a problem, but I ignored it and decided that he would have the funds and the connections, and the smarts, to find ways to compensate and stay that same explosive self that he's always been.

But, unfortunately, I don't see the same Foster this year. And don't toss out how the right side of the line is worse. He's not hitting his cutbacks as quickly, he's not bursting through the gaps like he did last year, and he is a liability on short distances on 3rd downs. He just doesn't appear to be the same.

Now, granted, he still is getting TDs. He's still getting 80 to 100 yards every game. He looks like he's 90%, which is still really good. But nobody can sit here with a straight face and say he looks JUST like the guy he has been the past few years.

I'm still a fan, and I know somebody is going to quote me and take me out of context on it. But for those who have comprehension skills, you can see that I'm only saying that he doesn't look the same. Still a fan, not hating, thinking that he's at 90% of his old self, but he could be better if he'd drop the vegan stuff.

I actually think you were closer to the truth when you mentioned the changes on the O-line. Arian is not getting the same holes to hit that allow him to get to the second level and make people miss. We are seeing Foster slow through the line due to poor blocking and at times it looks like the entire line gets stuffed.

On the runs where Foster got to the second level on touched he danced and made people miss just like last year. Winston was huge in run blocking and he is missed in that regard.

Diet... It is just fuel for the body like Foster said. He is still taking in all his carbs, proteins, etc. he is just not eating for entertainment like most people in the States do now days.

TexanSam
10-01-2012, 10:44 AM

I doubt the vegan diet has anything to do with it. Ben Tate isn't quite as explosive, IMO, as he was last year. I do think the changes in the offensive line are a major reason why the running game is suffering. Teams still have to respect it, but it's not operating at the level it was the last two seasons. But we're 4-0 and as the season goes on I think the running game will figure itself out.

BullNation4Life
10-01-2012, 10:49 AM

OK let's talk about that as well, is it me, and it could be just me, but does it seem like Foster is going down way to easy on arm tackles this year? It seems like anybody hits him in the leg or swipes at him, he is going down.

last year it seemed he ran through allot of those arm tackles.

I know I may seem nit picking, and I am because they are playing that damn good right now. It maybe the artist in me noticing these little details.

Just seems different this year, Good, very, very good, just different...

BullNation4Life
10-01-2012, 10:52 AM

lol my bad, replied about the same thing before I read through. You are right about the fact Foster looks different. He doesn't look explosive like he has, he looks slow hitting the hole. He seems to go down with any arm tackle, where last year he ran right through them.

Something is different, weather it is diet, contract or whatever, but something is defiantly different...

beerlover
10-01-2012, 10:58 AM
OK let's talk about that as well, is it me, and it could be just me, but does it seem like Foster is going down way to easy on arm tackles this year? It seems like anybody hits him in the leg or swipes at him, he is going down.

I know I may seem nit picking, and I am because they are playing that damn good right now. It maybe the artist in me noticing these little details.

Stopping the Texan run game has to be the #1 priority for any DC game plan to accompany with his OC picking @ the weakest part of Texan defense, stopping the run. It is very possible for instance against the Jets it will be a ground & pound game very low scoring affair?

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 11:09 AM
If they were running the ball for 4 or 5 yards EVERY time then I would be worried.

Well, if you take the 4th quarter out of the equation, CJ averaged 5 yards a carry. He never had a huge breakout run, like you mention, so that pretty well means he actually was getting about that per run through the first three quarters.

That said, I think worry is too strong a word for this thread. We're just considering possible problems.

Porky
10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm concerned about the run on both sides of the ball. Right now, we've played a relatively easy schedule. Not horribly bad teams, but teams we certainly should beat sans Denver.

What happens against a team like Baltimore when you need to stop the run and be able to run and grind out a win against a physical team? Remains to be seen.

My two least favorite moves that the Texans made were Ryans and Winston. In neither case, was the player a FA. They may have been cap moves, but I truly think much of the problem is directly attributed to these losses. I'm concerned on both sides but certainly not panicking.

I know this is picking nits. This team has multiple ways to carve you up on offense, and on D JJ Watt is literally a one man wrecking crew... and the secondary is clearly the best we have ever had in the 10 years of this team, so all in all I still think they are a 12-14 win team given the 4-0 start....but to go all the way we need to get the running game in gear and be able to grind out close wins. It's almost like we need a couple of grind it out close games for some practice. Right now, nobody seems to be able to even challenge them. :kitten:

HJam72
10-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Working on how to misquote GP... :thinking:

Titans Sux 72
10-01-2012, 11:17 AM
I share the OP's concern. Even last season, if I had to pick a weakness of the Texans D, I would say they can be ran on up the middle. Now that Demeco is gone, they have gotten even worse. I even thinking Cushing is not playing as well as he did last season.

Our best defense against the run is actually our offense. Our offense has gotten into big leads so early, it has forced teams to abandon the run. In the Titans case, they didn't abandon it and ended up rushing over 100 yards.

I'm actually quite surprised we've been winning these games so easily. We haven't been running the ball all that well, and haven't been stopping the run all that well. Does that just show how good this team is? Not everything is clicking right now, but still dominating teams.

Very well said!
I don't think it is a HUGE problem but it could be shored up. Like some body said earlier you let Ray Rice get those lanes and it's ball game. I'm not freaking out about it but they just need to improve it. And I have confidence Son of Bum will.

HJam72
10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think it's a big problem, but I do think it's a lack of size at a certain nose-tackle position.

As far as our run game, I can see several issues, like that right side I'm not supposed to talk about (which is actually MUCH improved in pass-blocking), but I don't see it being a problem with Foster. Some of it seems to be run-blocking; some of it is Tate--he's good sometimes and bad at others. Maybe Tate needs to be a Vegan. :)

Maybe Tate and Cody both need to be Vegans. :stirpot:

Hervoyel
10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Up until now we've seen the Texans do a lot of rotating on the right side. They're not happy with what they're getting and nor should they be but eventually they're going to settle into the best combination we have and the changes are going to "gel" (yes, that word we all hate to hear but know is coming). Things will get better as the year goes on. I genuinely believe that. We're 4 real games into the season and it's still a work in progress. Most teams are saying that about some aspect of their football team right now.

Stopping the run, that's a whole other can of worms

Texanmike02
10-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Well, if you take the 4th quarter out of the equation, CJ averaged 5 yards a carry. He never had a huge breakout run, like you mention, so that pretty well means he actually was getting about that per run through the first three quarters.

That said, I think worry is too strong a word for this thread. We're just considering possible problems.

Actually he did have a few "long" runs. I'm ok with that. If a guy averages 5 ypc by carring for -2 yards and 11 yards and -2 and 9 I'm ok with that. I woudl prefer that to 5 yards, 5 yads, 5 yards, 5 yards over and over. As an offense running the ball for negative yards is disrupting. It puts you in positions that you are in 2nd and 3rd and long. On one play he lost 7 yards. Weclcome to 2nd and 17. I would actually rather he get one or two long runs and average 5 ypc than average 4 ypc on all 4 yard runs.

Mike

El Tejano
10-01-2012, 11:34 AM
There's a couple of things I feel are wrong along with the right side of the line.

A) When Ben Jones plays, Arian Foster gets better runs. Why can't we just start th guy?

B) I think we still miss Joel Dreesen in that aspect. Graham and Casey just don't run block like he did.

C) James Casey vs. a real FB. I think James Casey is a great player. I think he's a cool H Back who can be multi demensional. Foster doesn't need that. He needs a battering Ram FB. We don't have that.

gtexan02
10-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm concerned about the run on both sides of the ball. Right now, we've played a relatively easy schedule. Not horribly bad teams, but teams we certainly should beat sans Denver.

Just FYI:

Miami -
Offense
5th in rush yards per game at 153 (We gave up 79 yards)
6th in rush yards per attempt at 4.6 (We held them to 4.2)

Defense
1st in rush yards per game at 57 (We put up 83)
1st in rush yards per attempt at 2.4 (We gained at 2.7)

Jacksonville -
Offense
15th in rush yards per game at 108 (We gave up 65)
9th in rush yards per attempt at 4.4 (We held them to 4.6)

Defense
30th in rush yards per game at 150 (We put up 216)
20th in rush yards per attempt at 4.3 (We gained at 4.5)

Denver -
Offense
14th in rush yards per game at 109 (We gave up 56)
17th in rush yards per attempt at 3.9 (We held them to 2.8)

Defense
9th in rush yards per game at 87 (We gained 152)
7th in rush yards per attempt at 3.4 (We gained at 4.5)

So its not like we've played an easy schedule. And we've consistently been on the right side of the averages. Miami is in the top offense/defense combos for the run game. Denver is highly respectable as well. Tennessee was a disappointment but we won that game handily, so I dont' know how much it really tells us

FirstTexansFan
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
After the Texans removed Locker from the game, I believe the Titans were committed to the run to save Matt Hasselbeck from the same fate. The Texans defense was more than happy to let them run the ball with the big lead. They stopped them when it counted.

gtexan02
10-01-2012, 11:42 AM
After the Texans removed Locker from the game, I believe the Titans were committed to the run to save Matt Hasselbeck from the same fate. The Texans defense was more than happy to let them run the ball with the big lead. They stopped them when it counted.

Thats an excellent point. Hassleback said as much during his postgame interview.

The Titans did NOT have a 3rd string QB. So he was not allowed to get injured. They had to run on certain passing downs just to have a QB at all. He said he felt stifled

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Kubiak...

(on if he’s worried about the run defense, especially after Titans RB Chris Johnson’s breakout game today) “They had a lot of yards at the end of the game too. I don’t know statistically how it comes out. You also have to go back and look at what took place before that last drive when they were running all the draws and we were in that situation. One of the good things is we have had some leads. If we’ve got some leads and people are going to commit to running the football it’s a good thing for our team. You have to look at how the game is going, what you’re trying to do to win, and all I know is we are playing darn good defense. There are always some things you can do better, and obviously that is one of them. We could run the ball better, too. I didn’t like the way we ran today.”

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. It sucks that we gave up so many yards on the ground, but they didn't get any points that counted out of it. It was pretty much garbage time all second half & they (the Titans) decided to treat it as a preseason game & not try to win.

We're most likely playing back, playing the pass. They're going to get some yards on the ground.

So in short, I don't think we can use this game to gauge our run defense. I understand the previous three games we didn't look good either, the score took away the running game.

& I really think that is more important than our run defense, the offense has to get off to a good start & build a lead. That's the best run defense any team can ask for.

By the way, we're 3rd in points allowed with teams 1 & 2 (Bears & Cowboys) playing tonight.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2012, 11:44 AM

I made a comment to the wife about this yesterday. I also noticed we weren't seeing the cutback lanes when they were there. The blocking hasn't been up to snuff, but there has been room to run on several occasions.

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 11:51 AM

I kinda agree with you eriadoc, it is a concern, but only a small one. The Titans were not playing to win the game through most of the game. Not just the 4th Qtr, or the 3rd qtr. It was like they conceded early. They were running in obvious passing situations, what are we supposed to do?

It's like playing black jack & you're the only one at the table that knows how to play.

Again, we "knew" we had run defense issues before this game. I don't think this game did anything to "highlight" a weakness or uncover something for other teams to build on.

Miami is the 5th best rushing team in the league right now & we played them pretty well, warts & all. It's a problem, just not as big as what Sunday's game would make you think.

Double Barrel
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Does it matter that the Titans preferred to get some meaningless yards on the ground once the game was in hand? They ran for over 100 yards in the 2nd half when the game was already in hand for the Texans. The Titans were afraid to pass. When Watt & Co. weren't dismantling their QBs, the Texans secondary were posing in the end zone. The run defense was and has been a non-issue.

It looked to me like the Titans just gave up on winning the game at some point in the 4th quarter. They kept running the ball and it was obvious that this was to run the clock out and get the heck out of there. They looked defeated on the sideline, from Munchak on down to the players and other coaches.

Our D was playing the pass, and with a 3-4 line, it's easy to run the ball and gain yards. But the running game was never a true threat, so I think the Monday morning coaches looking at stats are a bit over-reactive a this point.

Even at 14-7, I never felt that the Titans had a chance.

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 12:40 PM
... it is a concern, but only a small one.

Well, that's all I've said, really. Personally, I would much rather talk about these small problems while enjoying the afterglow of a 20+ point win to get to 4-0 than what we all endured the first several years. You didn't point out small concerns in the early years because there were no small concerns. The entire team was a flaming pile of crap LOL. This discussion is rather refreshing. Oh woe is our team! They won by 24 and gave up 141 inconsequential yards!

LOL

Sometimes on this forum, you can't raise a concern without someone else blasting off without even considering a little perspective. (not saying you're doing that, just a general comment)

sandman
10-01-2012, 12:42 PM
The Titans has a total of 13 Offensive series:

10 series netted 20 yards or less with 7 series resulted in punts, 3 in turnovers, and only two (the TD drives) that crossed the Houston 40 yard line.

Specifically speaking to CJ and the impact that he had on the game, it should be noted that in the two touchdown drives, he racked up 83 of his 146 yards.

This is bad in a way, because it shows that when he was getting the yardage, they were scoring TD's. It should be noted though that he gained 44 yards on that second "gimme" TD drive.

But it is also good in a way, because it shows that in their other 11 offensive series, he only gained 58 yards.

Outside of the TD drives, he only had 3 rushes that were greater than 5 yards.

So in 85% of their offensive attempts, we held him to an average of 6 yards PER SERIES.

GP
10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
Working on how to misquote GP... :thinking:

It's not all that hard. Here's an example of how to do it:

"All you have ever done is slam Arian Foster. You want the guy to fail, and here's your chance. And saying that vegan diet is complete garbage? Shows how little you know."

See?

1. I have not "always" slammed Foster. I tend to roll my eyes and post my criticisms of certain 'I'm smarter than everyone else" stuff he tends to fall into, which is just his personality--The free-thinker, philosophical type.

2. I have not wanted him to fail. He needs to be the Arian Foster of old, the guy who looked toned and strong and had stamina.

3. I don't think the vegan diet is garbage. It'll be great for him when he's retired from the game and wants to live the remainder of his life that way. But right now? He needs to get back to the good stuff. Milk and honey and meat.

There. Some of you who love to misquote me, you can just copy and paste whatever you want. Edit it how you want. Knock yourselves out with it.

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
LOL

Sometimes on this forum, you can't raise a concern without someone else blasting off without even considering a little perspective. (not saying you're doing that, just a general comment)

I know what you mean. I mentioned a concern with Jjo &... let's just say I caught some flak... even though it later came out that there was some groin concerns.

Thorn
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Some of you who love to misquote me, you can just copy and paste whatever you want. Edit it how you want. Knock yourselves out with it.

What GP really meant to say:

Kiss my damn ass!!

:lol:

GP
10-01-2012, 01:02 PM
What GP really meant to say:

:lol:

Thorn knows how to read between the lines. He's been around awhile, as in "Prehistoric era."

:kitten:

Thorn
10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Thorn knows how to read between the lines. He's been around awhile, as in "Prehistoric era."

That's why I'm so smart and always right.

:kubepalm:

The Pencil Neck
10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I cut down trees. I skip and jump. I like to press wild flowers.

I put on women's clothing and hang around in bars.

GP.

He's a lumberjack and he's OK.

GP
10-01-2012, 01:50 PM
TPN,

Does everybody here need to know how my wife's fantasy football team is beating your team by over 50 points this weekend? You need Herculean efforts by Marshall and Ogletree tonight. :cjeremy635:

I've seen some misquoting in my day, but yours takes the cake! LOL. :challenge

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 02:06 PM
GP.

He's a lumberjack and he's OK.

LOL, I had to rep that. Hilarious.

Mr teX
10-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm not going to lie and say that i'm not a little worried about it. When you consider he hadn't had a game where he rushed for more than 25 yds..it is a bit concerning.

But what i also believe is that Wade's still holding back a little. The only reason i say this is b/c we've done very little blitzing these 1st 4 games. & i remember by the end of last year, we were blitzing a lot.

Go back & look at that 1st Baltimore game. Ray Rice had a field day running the ball on us to the tune of 101 yds on 23 carries. By the time that playoff game rolled around, Rice had only 60 yds on 21 carries and was not a factor whatsoever. & we blitzed like a mofo in that playoff game so...

Premier
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
the texans had the longest active streak of not allowing a 100 yard rusher before sunday.. relax..

Tailgate
10-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Simply put, we will know alot more about this team heading into our bye week. For now, we keep winning and with a mix of different ways each time. The sign of a great team.

miter saw
10-01-2012, 05:30 PM
there is always a week spot the trick is to be able to choose where your week spot is depending on the team your playing good job coaches

HOU-TEX
10-01-2012, 05:53 PM
there is always a week spot the trick is to be able to choose where your week spot is depending on the team your playing good job coaches

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EbAvq45Quho/TmywkrtS6iI/AAAAAAAAApE/gUu6pyyXecM/s1600/what.gif

miter saw
10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
wheres the week spot for the ravens game thats the one to be talkig about or the pats:bender:

The Pencil Neck
10-01-2012, 06:50 PM
wheres the week spot for the ravens game thats the one to be talkig about or the pats:bender:

1. Spelling.
2. Punctuation.

"Where's the weak spot for the Ravens game? That's the one to be talking about. Or the Pats. :bender:"

And that's kinda the point. The Pats had 2 RBs go over 100 yards yesterday and the Ravens have Ray Rice.

If we have a weakness against the run, we're going to be exposed against those teams.

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 06:52 PM

This past weak? Or next week?

PapaL
10-01-2012, 06:59 PM
Would it be terribly inappropriate to yell "Your Mom?" here?

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 09:22 PM
1. Spelling.
2. Punctuation.

"Where's the weak spot for the Ravens game? That's the one to be talking about. Or the Pats. :bender:"

And that's kinda the point. The Pats had 2 RBs go over 100 yards yesterday and the Ravens have Ray Rice.

If we have a weakness against the run, we're going to be exposed against those teams.

I doubt we play the same game against the Ravens or the Pats. Last year, our defense wasn't that great against the run either, still we managed to hold Ray Rice, MjD & a whole host of other RBs. Until yesterday, we went 8 consecutive games without allowing a 100 yard rusher & that included 2 play-off games.

Normally when you open a lead like we had, you'd expect them to throw the ball, that's our M.O. that's when we've got them where we want them... pin our ears back & all that jazz. That didn't happen yesterday. They found out they couldn't throw the ball against us, so they just ran & ran & ran & ran the clock out.

We put the JV team in halfway through the 4th Qtr.... for all of Chris Johnson's running, they got 1 touch down. that's it, 7 points. No field goals, no big 20 yard CJ2k runs.

I'm sure they're going to spend a lot of time in the film room & figure out how to stop the run with the front 7..... in nickel situations.

run-david-run
10-02-2012, 12:11 AM
I think all we need to know about our run D can be learned from watching the two goal line plays against the Broncos after the ridiculous PI call on Kareem in the end zone.
When we're playing the run, we turn 1st and goal at the one into 3rd and 6.

You're not going to take everything away from an NFL offense. We've seen teams try to do it to us and it leads to AJ walking into the endzone or death of a thousand 8 yards check downs.

The Ravens and Bears will be better tests of our run D, but in this league, with this team, as long as we're decent against the run and keep up our dominance in the passing game (and our 20 point leads), we're picking the right poison.

HJam72
10-02-2012, 12:47 PM
1. Spelling.
2. Punctuation.

miter saw tell them you "could care less" :)

HJam72
10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Regarding the main subject here, I just agree with others that CJ3yearsAgo got a lot of garbage stats. Go ahead and run the whole 2nd half and burn clock when you're losing to us by too much. We're fine with that.

We do seem to have a weakness regarding the run up the middle, but we are the number 1 overall D right now and this is the time in the NFL where, if you're going to have a weakness, that's the one to put up with. We sure don't want to have any weaknesses in our pass D. So, we're not the best D ever. We don't have to be, because we do have an offense.

Speedy
10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Only team in the NFL that hasn't given up a rushing TD - Houston Texans.

HJam72
10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Only team in the NFL that hasn't given up a rushing TD - Houston Texans.

I didn't know that. Maybe we are just not focused on the run at times, but do just fine when we are.

I don't know, but I'm a lot more worried about this team staying healthy.

Thorn
10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I didn't know that. Maybe we are just not focused on the run at times, but do just fine when we are.

I don't know, but I'm a lot more worried about this team staying healthy.

I'm always worried about injuries. But mostly what I worry about is always the next game. I don't care if we are supposed to beat the jets by a gazallion points, I still worry.

HJam72
10-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm always worried about injuries. But mostly what I worry about is always the next game. I don't care if we are supposed to beat the jets by a gazallion points, I still worry.

We could definitely lose to the Jets on the road, but 4-1 is no nightmare. If it happens, it might teach our guys some kind of valuable lesson and be worth the 1 loss.

KA4Texan
10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
We could definitely lose to the Jets on the road, but 4-1 is no nightmare. If it happens, it might teach our guys some kind of valuable lesson and be worth the 1 loss.

Agreed, but only if they lose focus would the loss be "worth it".

After all, they need to be at least twice as good as the "other guy"

Not for our town, not for the fans..... although God knows we in Houston need it.

But for themselves..... no matter how good they looked last season.

it was TAKEN from them due to PM being down.

in order for them to CLAIM what they have worked so hard for they have to do it twice as good as anyone else, to prove to the nation the lack PM is irrelevant to the success of these Texans.

drs23
10-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Perhaps to another team but not the STINKIN' JETS and their toe suckin' lypo banded, blow hard (get my point?) coach!

TejasTom
10-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Our D is ranked 1st in total yards and points. A few runs up the middle aren't going to kill us.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Impressive state.

Nick Scurfield ‏@NickScurfield

#Texans rank 1st in @nfl in point differential (+17.5/game). Next-best team: Falcons, +12.0/game

GP
10-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Perhaps to another team but not the STINKIN' JETS and their toe suckin' lypo banded, blow hard (get my point?) coach!

That just about sums it up....

LondonTex
10-02-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm still quite new to all this but these Texans rock!! I so enjoy watching them kick butts each week...I know the tough times will come but at the minute I'm just enjoying what I'm seeing :)

The Pencil Neck
10-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm still quite new to all this but these Texans rock!! I so enjoy watching them kick butts each week...I know the tough times will come but at the minute I'm just enjoying what I'm seeing :)

Soak it all in, man. Soak it all in. :)

LondonTex
10-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Soak it all in, man. Soak it all in. :)
can't wait for the Jets game

TejasTom
10-02-2012, 10:49 PM

The tough times have passed!

There were seasons when we didn't have this many wins.

kiwitexansfan
10-03-2012, 04:22 AM
I think the elephant in the room is our crappy special teams.

Our return game has looked ordinary at best, and our kicking game is plagued by noodle leg Graham and his inability to kick from distance.

The old saying is special teams win championships, does anyone really think we have championship quality special teams?

thunderkyss
10-03-2012, 08:32 AM

I think the tough times are upon us. Used to be, when we punted the ball (which happened a lot) you could go get some concessions, take a bathroom break, smoke a cigarette, & make a quick pass through one of the novelty shops, then get back to your seats on time to watch the offense.

Now that the defense is just as exciting to watch, if not more... you pretty much have to get all that done before kick-off.

:wadepalm:

infantrycak
10-03-2012, 08:36 AM
The old saying is special teams win championships...

Really? - I thought it was defense wins championships.

I guess everyone except the guys who put points on the board win championships.

thunderkyss
10-03-2012, 08:36 AM
I think the elephant in the room is our crappy special teams.

Our return game has looked ordinary at best, and our kicking game is plagued by noodle leg Graham and his inability to kick from distance.

The old saying is special teams win championships, does anyone really think we have championship quality special teams?

We're probably not getting the results we want, but they're coming. We were doing things differently this go round, than I'm used to seeing the Texans do.

Usually, we would have one guy on the gunners & they would manage to get around our guys & make it difficult for the returner to take a step, much less return the ball.

Sunday, we had two guys on at least one of the gunners, sometimes both gunners had two defenders on him, & they did a pretty good job of keeping him off our return man.

Trindon needs to be more decisive, because those guys (as well as the other blockers actually picking someone up) were doing their job. It's a work in progress, but given the history & work ethic of this team, it's only a matter of time.

Now when we punt, our gunners are getting down field & laying some wood. Yeah, still got some rough areas to work on, but they looked better Sunday than they had all of last year where it looked as if they thought "block" was a four letter word.

HJam72
10-03-2012, 08:44 AM

I have certainly heard that "Defense wins Championships," and not "Special teams win Championships," but I would say that things have changed and it's really more the offense in today's NFL. Of course, we all know that it's the whole team that really matters, and I'm REAL freakin' happy that top-to-bottom the Texans are the best. :fans:

LondonTex
10-03-2012, 09:51 AM
The tough times have passed!

There were seasons when we didn't have this many wins.

There is always the potential for tough times in the future but I'm just enjoying this team right now! Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I see this team (with my limited knowledge to be fair)..I imagine there is 3 or 4 more straight years of cracks at the SB? (barring major injuries or losing players in other ways )

I think the tough times are upon us. Used to be, when we punted the ball (which happened a lot) you could go get some concessions, take a bathroom break, smoke a cigarette, & make a quick pass through one of the novelty shops, then get back to your seats on time to watch the offense.

Now that the defense is just as exciting to watch, if not more... you pretty much have to get all that done before kick-off.

:wadepalm:

I LOVE this defense. I always used to think the most exciting thing was offense. However this defense is so much FUN to watch...I love it when the defense is on the field.

haha :heh:

Showtime100
10-03-2012, 10:03 AM
What surprises me is, even if you were a Houston Oiler fan from the start and then became a Texans fan, being 4-0 is a first.

Born in '63, I can almost go back that far, but I didn't become a sentient fan until a while after that. :D

LondonTex
10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
What surprises me is, even if you were a Houston Oiler fan from the start and then became a Texans fan, being 4-0 is a first.

Born in '63, I can almost go back that far, but I didn't become a sentient fan until a while after that. :D
well I know the reason for this cracking start...like a good luck charm (except I don't believe in luck) - I only started rooting for the Texans more recently.....it's really my long distance support that is the reason for the early season success thus far ;)

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
There is always the potential for tough times in the future but I'm just enjoying this team right now! Correct me if I'm wrong but the way I see this team (with my limited knowledge to be fair)..I imagine there is 3 or 4 more straight years of cracks at the SB? (barring major injuries or losing players in other ways )

We have a window of opportunity. With the salary caps and whatnot, the front office has to be good at keeping the core players signed and letting other players go and finding/drafting replacements.

This FO has done a good job of finding and drafting talent. We had to let some guys walk this offseason and we had to trade a guy. If we had been able to retain those guys both offense and defense would probably be better -- which is a scary thought. But that's life.

Some teams are historically good at "reloading" and when Bob McNair bought the team, he said he was going to model the way we work on the Steelers which is one of those teams that has been good for a long time with very few down seasons. Let's hope we become one of those teams that's just good year after year. :fans:

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2012, 11:14 AM
well I know the reason for this cracking start...like a good luck charm (except I don't believe in luck) - I only started rooting for the Texans more recently.....it's really my long distance support that is the reason for the early season success thus far ;)

If we drop a game, we're all going to fly to London, hunt you down, and beat the tar out of you.

ChampionTexan
10-03-2012, 11:15 AM

Rick Gosselin end of year special teams rankings for recent Super Bowl Champions:

New Orleans Saints (2009 Season): 29th (The top three ranked teams were cumulatively 14-34 in the regular season)
LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/nfl/headlines/20100213-Special-teams-rankings-Browns-find-9768.ece)
Green Bay Packers (2010 Season):29th (The top three ranked teams were cumulatively 25-23 in the regular season)
LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/nfl/headlines/20110213-rick-gosselin_s-special-team-rankings-youth-speed-coaching-give-pats-no.-1-unit-cowboys-20th.ece)
New York Giants (2011 Season): 22nd (The top three ranked teams were cumulatively 27-21 in the regular season)
LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/newsletters/nfl/20120123-gosselin-49ers-patriots-prove-what-a-focus-on-special-teams-can-do2.ece)

LondonTex
10-03-2012, 11:57 AM
If we drop a game, we're all going to fly to London, hunt you down, and beat the tar out of you.

Haha I only take credit for wins! I won't be greedy and take credit for losses too ;)

gtexan02
10-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Ok this is a little strange:
1. 11 carries for 4 yards (0.4 ypc) (lost by 21)
2. 8 carries for 17 yards (2.1 ypc) (lost by 28)
3. 14 carries for 24 yards (1.7 ypc) (won by 3)
4. 25 carries for 141 yards (5.6 ypc) (lost by 24)
5. 15 carries for 24 yards (1.6 ypc) (lost by 23)

Notice the anomaly in there? How did he rush so effectively against us. They were just as blown out in many other games... I wrote this off originally, but now I'm a little surprised. I didn't think the Vikings would shut him down so effectively (thought maybe he'd found his legs a little). Strange stuff

kiwitexansfan
10-07-2012, 08:16 PM

A google search reveals Bear Bryant said defense wins championships, it also tells me that I am not the only one who has heard that special teams win championships but I could not find the original source of the quote.

Interesting those special teams ranks for the champions. Doesn't change the fact I don't want Graham having to make game winners.

ItsMyFault
10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
If we don't hold the Jets to 50 yds or less of rushing, we have a problem with our Rush D... or that it's overrated.

hradhak
10-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Ok this is a little strange:
1. 11 carries for 4 yards (0.4 ypc) (lost by 21)
2. 8 carries for 17 yards (2.1 ypc) (lost by 28)
3. 14 carries for 24 yards (1.7 ypc) (won by 3)
4. 25 carries for 141 yards (5.6 ypc) (lost by 24)
5. 15 carries for 24 yards (1.6 ypc) (lost by 23)

Notice the anomaly in there? How did he rush so effectively against us. They were just as blown out in many other games... I wrote this off originally, but now I'm a little surprised. I didn't think the Vikings would shut him down so effectively (thought maybe he'd found his legs a little). Strange stuff

I think the difference is that in the end of the previous games they were throwing the ball. Hasselbeck wasn't familiar with the playbook and was getting eaten alive. They started running when we were in the nickel.

If the Jets run roughshod over us, then I'm going to be more worried.

kiwitexansfan
10-07-2012, 09:19 PM
This is a passing league, our defense is built to stop the pass.

That comes at the expense of a bit of run stop power perhaps. Which contender is going to make us pay for that? Baltimore and San Fransisco could I guess.

thunderkyss
10-08-2012, 01:56 AM
I think the difference is that in the end of the previous games they were throwing the ball. Hasselbeck wasn't familiar with the playbook and was getting eaten alive. They started running when we were in the nickel.

If the Jets run roughshod over us, then I'm going to be more worried.

I'll start worrying when we lose a game because our defense couldn't get a stop. If a team rams it down our throat to kill the 4th qtr, then we'll have something to worry about.

Rey
10-08-2012, 12:56 PM
I'll start worrying when we lose a game because our defense couldn't get a stop. If a team rams it down our throat to kill the 4th qtr, then we'll have something to worry about.

????

So if we can stop the run when everyone knows it's a run, then that's an accomplishment to you?

I don't know what the deal is with us stopping the running game, but I honestly believe that we respect certain teams ability to run the ball and not others.

Wade is smart.

If a team likes to run a lot then we gear up to stop the run. Not many offenses can do everything. So we stop what they've been doing well and make them get yards in other ways.

Goldensilence
10-08-2012, 01:08 PM
I look at the yards per attempt...and that is what worries me. You have to consider that we had them playing from behind the entire game, and we also won the time of possession war. So even though the total rushing yards that CJ got in the first three quarters was not huge, if you consider his yards per attempt.. it is actually pretty scary numbers.

I am not worried about it yet though. Last week the Titans won their game because of big plays, and I have a feeling that we came into this game with the mindset on defense that we had to prevent the big play. So stopping CJ from running the ball wasnt really at the top of our "to do list". I mean the guy was averaging 2 yards per carry before this week... not exactly their biggest threat.

So im hoping that the issue was simply that we were more interested in preventing them from chunking us, than running it. But it is definitely something that im gonna be keeping a close eye on from now on. Since week 1 ive felt that stopping the run was our defense's biggest weakness this year. If we go up against a team that can go toe-to-toe with us offensively.. and we find ourselves in a shootout...thats when im gonna be more interested in seeing what our defense can do to stop the run.

Im very wary of the next two weeks... Jets and Packers, and I dont want to jinx it by looking too far ahead.. BUT... I feel like our next BIG challenge is gonna be week 7 against the Ravens. That is a team that is capable on both sides of the ball just like us. And Ray Rice is definitely no slouch at RB. We could see ourselves in a situation where stopping the run is tantamount to staying in the game.

This.

It's not so much that we've given up big yardage to teams like the Dolphins and Titans much as the Yards per Rush is pretty high. With both teams thankfully turnovers and getting ahead big negated the run game for each team in the second half realistically, though CJ still piled up some yards in garbage time.

Take it FWIW that the Vikes totally took CJ out of the game with 15 carries for 24 yards.

It's not time to panic, but it's good to know that its on the forefront of this staff and the rest of the defense.

kiwitexansfan
10-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Special teams huh?

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 06:16 PM
????

So if we can stop the run when everyone knows it's a run, then that's an accomplishment to you?

I don't know what the deal is with us stopping the running game, but I honestly believe that we respect certain teams ability to run the ball and not others.

Wade is smart.

If a team likes to run a lot then we gear up to stop the run. Not many offenses can do everything. So we stop what they've been doing well and make them get yards in other ways.

We may not be forcing three & outs like we did under Frank Bush in '09, but we're getting the ball back for our offense. I'm not worried about Chris Johnson running for 40000 yards when their offense only scores 10 points & we scored 38.

It's a non issue & not reflective of our defense's ability to stop the run.

If we can't stop the run when we know it's coming & we need a possesion to win the game, yeah, that's something to talk about.