PDA

View Full Version : Do we have 2 shutdown corners?

Rey
09-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Loving it.

Was a week too early for Kareems breakout game, but damn...He looks great this year.

Pantherstang84
09-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes. Yes we do.

Goatcheese
09-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to call KJ a shutdown corner, but he could be a #1 on a couple of teams.

Thorn
09-30-2012, 03:59 PM
KJ is much improved, and playing well, but I wouldn't say he's a shutdown corner.

TdotTexas2Step
09-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Definitely not a shutdown corner, but if Kareem can continue to improve at the rate he has been, then he'll eventually become one of the better #2s in the league.

Stemp
09-30-2012, 04:05 PM
We have 2 VERY GOOD cornerbacks. Not sure about shutdown.

Playoffs
09-30-2012, 04:07 PM
One good, one very good.

GP
09-30-2012, 04:07 PM
This will work wonders for our defense, for KJ to have had that pick 6 today.

Now, offenses will be thinking twice about trying KJ's side of the field. And at a minimum, WRs will be hesitant to try him too much.

Plus, this raises KJ's confidence like by a billion. He might try and play the ball a bit more...having tasted what a pick 6 feels like. First ever reg season pick 6 for KJ.

fiasco west
09-30-2012, 04:09 PM

Agreed.

But with our front 7 that's more than good enough.

Rey
09-30-2012, 04:12 PM
It was the lowly Titans, but KJ was shut down today...

Premier
09-30-2012, 04:14 PM
on a side note, mccain looking like the mccain from 2010...

Corrosion
09-30-2012, 04:16 PM
on a side note, mccain looking like the mccain from 2010...

McCains fighting slot schemes that create openings .... Hard to fault him.

Jackson has been pretty damn good this season ... Nice to see that #1 pick finally paying off and putting and end to any bust talk.

Dont know if I would go o far as to call Jackson a shut down corner just yet ... but is there a better pair of corners or safeties in the league ?

Playmaker
09-30-2012, 04:18 PM

I am comfortable in calling JJo a shutdown corner. KJ is a work in progress, improving and getting better each game.

TheEastwood
09-30-2012, 04:24 PM
KJ has played great all season. Especially the last 2 weeks. I can't wait to see what his boost in Madden is. I'm tired of teams being able to pick on him lol

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 04:30 PM
We better have two shutdown corners if Shiloh Keo has to fill in for Demps.. commissioner Smith needs to pick up the bat phone and call Mr. Nolan.

Scooter
09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
as i and a few have said, he gets better every single game. JJo, revis, and bailey are probably the only cb's in the "shutdown" argument, but there are few #2's better than kareem - and not all that many #1's. sure he still has his weaknesses, such as playmaking ability and locating deeper throws, but as we saw today those weaknesses are disappearing.

2slik4u
09-30-2012, 04:52 PM

J-Jo is 100% shutdown. Arguably top 3 in the league albeit not talked about as much as Revis and Asomugha are.

2slik4u
09-30-2012, 04:54 PM
J-Jo is 100% shutdown. Arguably top 3 in the league albeit not talked about as much as Revis and Asomugha are.

***EDIT

Not as talked about as Asomugha once was...he seems to have taken a step back in that zone system Philly has him playing in.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 04:58 PM
JJo, revis, and bailey are probably the only cb's in the "shutdown" argument,

But JJo is injured and sucks now
- Fidder :)

welsh texan
09-30-2012, 05:01 PM
I loved the way the great plays by KJ led towards that huge Pick6. First the nonchalant tap back with his inside arm over his shoulder, then that huge open field hit on CJ150YPG, then immediately after he jumped that route extremely early and from a long way back, had the confidence in him to gamble on his read and went for it BOOM!!

I know they have very different skill sets, but I can see Kareem devoloping to play just as good as Joseph has his first year on a consistent basis. Always think he will be more suited to play the #2 WR of most teams, due to the ultimate pace issues, and his strength in the short game too.

kiwitexansfan
09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Did you ever think you would see the day there would be a thread about KJ being a shut down corner?

For all those people wanting to cut his a$$ after his rookie year, just goes to show that patience actually is a virtue.

EllisUnit
09-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Loving it.

Was a week too early for Kareems breakout game, but damn...He looks great this year.

1 pick 6 TD does not make him a shutdown CB. He did pretty good today and has had a damn good season, still a solid #2 at best IMO.

TheMatrix31
09-30-2012, 05:06 PM
lol @ Kareem Jackson being a "shutdown" corner. There's like four or five of those in this league, max.

Insideop
09-30-2012, 05:08 PM
We better have two shutdown corners if Shiloh Keo has to fill in for Demps.. commissioner Smith needs to pick up the bat phone and call Mr. Nolan.

Is Nolan still available? What about Eddie Pleasant? He's waiting on the PS.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
lol @ Kareem Jackson being a "shutdown" corner. There's like four or five of those in this league, max.

Meh, it's a overblown label. Believe it or not, even "shutdown corners" get beat on occasion.. Replace "Shutdown corner" with "Probowl corner" and there's still only a handful in the league.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Is Nolan still available? What about Eddie Pleasant? He's waiting on the PS.

I think he is.. last I heard the Dolphins cut him.

MojoMan
09-30-2012, 05:18 PM
This should be a lesson to everyone here who is inclined to throw a player under the bus after a bad first year starting as a rookie.

TEXANRED
09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Yes he is. Kid is playing like a stud.

Great job KJ!

SAMURAITEXAN
09-30-2012, 05:23 PM
He has developed to be a good CB. Good thing that Wade took over our D and hired V Joseph as DB coach. I hope, KJ continues to play good and build up his confidence. With our front 7, our DBs will continue to produce results IMO.

Go Texans!!!

HJam72
09-30-2012, 05:25 PM
This should be a lesson to everyone here who is inclined to throw a player under the bus after a bad first year starting as a rookie.

Yeah, especially when it's a rookie corner forced into the starting role as the #1 corner on the team (at the time).

fiasco west
09-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Did you ever think you would see the day there would be a thread about KJ being a shut down corner?

For all those people wanting to cut his a$$ after his rookie year, just goes to show that patience actually is a virtue.

That goes for this whole franchise, it starts with McNair they have always had a tremendous amount of patience with whatever they do. Sometimes almost to a fault (HWSNBN era...)

hradhak
09-30-2012, 05:36 PM
KJ has gotten a bum rap for 3 years. I think he's better than he used to be. He still doesn't turn his head around on bomb plays. That pass he defensed on the deep throw from Hasselbeck was as much luck sticking his hands up in the air.

That pick 6 is the first time I've seen him jump a route and he read it perfectly. I hope he continues to be aggressive, and I think he is becoming a solid #2, but he's far from shutdown.

Premier
09-30-2012, 05:45 PM
KJ has gotten a bum rap for 3 years. I think he's better than he used to be. He still doesn't turn his head around on bomb plays. That pass he defensed on the deep throw from Hasselbeck was as much luck sticking his hands up in the air.

slow-mo clearly showed kareem get his head around before sticking his hand out to knock the ball down..

http://www.image8.net/images/fxcam13490.jpg

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 05:48 PM
slow-mo clearly showed kareem get his head around before sticking his hand out to knock the ball down..

True.

Scooter
09-30-2012, 05:50 PM

i dont want to enter that discussion, but i can somewhat see what he's saying. JJo's all stud, and fiddler has said as much, but he ended last season at 100% shutdown and has started this season at 95% shutdown. still a top 3 cornerback, but just a step off from where he finished last season. today he was invisible - exactly as a shutdown corner should be. teams too afraid to even throw his direction.

some of that is perception more than reality though. for example last week joseph got "beat" on a play that wasnt his. he was in obvious cover 3 but the underneath coverage overplayed their assignments and he ended up having to chase the outside receiver across the field. looked bad on jjo in the moment, but after seeing the full tape he had great coverage.

2slik4u
09-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah, especially when it's a rookie corner forced into the starting role as the #1 corner on the team (at the time).

...with no pass rush.

EllisUnit
09-30-2012, 06:36 PM

wasnt quinn #1 and KJ #2

HJam72
09-30-2012, 06:38 PM
wasnt quinn #1 and KJ #2

IDK, it probably went back and forth.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 07:22 PM
i dont want to enter that discussion, but i can somewhat see what he's saying. JJo's all stud, and fiddler has said as much, but he ended last season at 100% shutdown and has started this season at 95% shutdown. still a top 3 cornerback, but just a step off from where he finished last season. today he was invisible - exactly as a shutdown corner should be. teams too afraid to even throw his direction.

some of that is perception more than reality though. for example last week joseph got "beat" on a play that wasnt his. he was in obvious cover 3 but the underneath coverage overplayed their assignments and he ended up having to chase the outside receiver across the field. looked bad on jjo in the moment, but after seeing the full tape he had great coverage.

It's all perception.. JJo was "beat" at times last season as well. He was beat by a rookie receiver (granted a good one) who had a rookie QB throwing to him (again a good one) for a first half of a game, he then came back and responded/made adjustments and shut the rook down. He'll be "beat" at times this season. Even Revis gets "beat".

This whole idea of a "Shutdown corner" is rediculous. Nobody in this league goes a entire season without getting "beat". It's the players that can bounce back, make teams pay, and make teams think twice for throwing their way that are the elite players. JJo is one of those guys, he was last season and has been this season too.

thunderkyss
09-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Don't put words in my mouth.

Luv_ya_blue
09-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Darrell Revis
Champ Bailey
Nnamdi Asomugha
Charles Woodson
Asante Samuel

and...
Kareem Jackson???

:koolaid:

Scooter
09-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Darrell Revis
Champ Bailey
Nnamdi Asomugha
Charles Woodson
Asante Samuel

and...
Kareem Jackson???

you missed somebody ...

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Don't put words in my mouth.

It was a joke, (thought that was apparent with the smiley) lighten up.

So did JJo just "get healthy" today.. He certainly didn't look like he was worried about a injury when he lowered a shoulder and leveled a Titans player on Manning's return? Maybe he just had a case of the green apple splatters last week huh? :)

EVOLVIST
09-30-2012, 07:48 PM
KJ is playing about as good as GQ was playing when Quin was CB1.

That's good enough.

Allstar
09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
lol @ Assante

Premier
09-30-2012, 07:55 PM
lol @ Assante

plus1

EllisUnit
09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Darrell Revis
Champ Bailey
Nnamdi Asomugha
Charles Woodson
Asante Samuel

and...
Kareem Jackson???

OMG :user:

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 08:03 PM
plus1

Yep, he used to be a good zone corner/ball hawk, but more often than not he'd "hawk" too much and end up burnt toast. He either set his team up to score or set the opposing team up for a score.. He also wasn't very good in man coverage.

EllisUnit
09-30-2012, 08:04 PM

That's good enough.

only difference is quin was playing against #1 WRs and KJ was playing against #2. Like AJ vs Walter,,,,worlds apart

BullBlitz
09-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I will reserve judgement on our CBs being of shutdown quality until after the Jets game, when we play a few games vs better QB/WR combinations.

Carr Bombed
09-30-2012, 08:10 PM
I will reserve judgement on our CBs being of shutdown quality until after the Jets game, when we play a few games vs better QB/WR combinations.

I see what you did there :lol:

Pantherstang84
09-30-2012, 08:13 PM

The J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets have a good QB/WR combination?

Nevermind. I misread your post.

Luv_ya_blue
09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
lol @ Assante

It's cool.
I "LOL'ed" at KJ being shutdown.

BullBlitz
09-30-2012, 08:19 PM
The J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets have a good QB/WR combination?

Nevermind. I misread your post.

Not the Jets, but I think that the Ravens and Packers, plus the Patriots and Lions later in the season, will be better competition than what we have seen so far.

Rey
09-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Darrell Revis
Champ Bailey
Nnamdi Asomugha
Charles Woodson
Asante Samuel

and...
Kareem Jackson???

Do you watch a lot of espn?

Just asking because there are a bunch of low key players all over the league that don't get the wide spread respect that they deserve.

Grimes (injured) has played better that both Aso and Samuels.

Matter of fact Kareem and Joseph both have too.

fiasco west
09-30-2012, 09:19 PM

Just asking because there are a bunch of low key players all over the league that don't get the wide spread respect that they deserve.

Do not forget Peterson for the Cards. Peterson has been as good as any DB in the NFL so far.

Aso has really regressed since become a Eagle.

Luv_ya_blue
09-30-2012, 09:26 PM

Honestly, no I don't.
It was JMO. When I think of "shut down corners" those are the types of CBs that I think of. Week in and week out...season in and season out, they get the job done. I'm not talking about stats after 1/4 of the way thru the season. We all know that the reason the DBs have done as well as they have this season is due mainly to the presure that the front 7 are putting on opposing QBs. Causing QBs (even good ones) to hurry will cause mistakes and if your DBs are anywhere close to being in good position, they're gonna look like playmakers. Not trying to disrespect our DBs necessarily, but I'm certainly not ready to label the likes of a KAREEM JACKSON as a "shutdown corner" because he's had a few good games.

If we're only talking "stats," then Chris Johnson is a better RB than Arian Foster.
:shades:

Brisco_County
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Kareem doesn't have the make-up speed to be in the top tier. But he does have the potential to be very good. Right now, he's playing above average, and he's on a good upward trend.

burro
09-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Kareem Jackson is dramatically improved as a player. I'll go out on a limb and say that he is better than Petey Faggins ever was, probably better than Dunta Robinson is now.

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 12:55 PM
It was a joke, (thought that was apparent with the smiley) lighten up.

So did JJo just "get healthy" today.. He certainly didn't look like he was worried about a injury when he lowered a shoulder and leveled a Titans player on Manning's return? Maybe he just had a case of the green apple splatters last week huh? :)

You're right, I should lighten up.

Jjo looked the same to me yesterday that he did the first three games. Good.... but not an All-Pro. A groin injury would explain it to me.

That was a nice shoulder he layed out, so I'm pretty sure his injury isn't in his shoulder.

I just hope they're being smart with him & not pushing him to be on the field if he's not ready for it. We need him for the long haul.

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 12:55 PM

That's good enough.

I'm not there yet. GQ got his hands on a lot of passes.

Playoffs
10-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Coach Kubes fist-pumps after KJ's defended pass...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A4PVTdlCAAEyrOd.jpg

Allstar
10-02-2012, 08:36 PM

awesome

drs23
10-02-2012, 08:43 PM

I was at the game and missed it but I sure caught it when I rewatched the game. Kubes is pretty stoic, huh?

That's a really bad ass shot. Thanks for posting.

Hervoyel
10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm just happy that KJ now has the presence of mind and experience to not be a liability on the other side of Joseph. It seems like half the teams in the NFL are trying to cover for some fool opposite their "good" corner and before Wade got here we were the same way. Hell we were watching our good corner hang on for dear life against the good WR's.

Now at least we've got someone that can't be just insanely exploited every week to play opposite Joseph. I swear when I saw Kareem turn his head at the last second and knock that ball away I almost cried.

thunderkyss
10-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Kubiak was absolutely livid Sunday. Anyone who criticizes him for where he stands, or what he's not looking at really need to check themselves.

On several plays, the dirty Titans were jacking up our guys away from the ball. I can't remember when it was, but on one of the plays, I think the TE got into Manning something awful. Couldn't see it on the cameras, but Kubiak was damn near at midfield in a ref's face giving him the what's for. I thought he would get fined for it.

drs23
10-03-2012, 10:26 AM

I rewatched the game last night and Vance Joseph looked like he was giving KJ a wet willy on the sideline after the play. He was all smiles and very pleased with Grasshopper it appeared.

Rey
10-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Say what you want, but Kareem has come a long, long way....

Three picks this year...one returned for TD...

Kareem could be a pro bowler or at the very least borderline pro bowler by years end.

CretorFrigg
10-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Kareem played really well this game. Joseph struggled a bit. Man, never thought I would say that...

Marcus
10-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Well, I don't know what the rest of you think, but IMO Jonathan Joseph had his worst game ever with this team. I don't know whether he was playing hurt or what, but regarding who is the No #1 corner, it dang sure ain't JJoe.

Marcus
10-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Kareem played really well this game. Joseph struggled a bit. Man, never thought I would say that...

WTF was up with him, anyway? Was he playing hurt or what?

hradhak
That was the worst game I've seen JoJo play. I'm hoping it was because he was injured. He has enough history of playing well that I'm hopeful.

ajohnson80
jjo looked below average tonight hopefully he turns it around for when rodgers comes to htown

Luv_ya_blue
10-08-2012, 11:52 PM
Everyone has an off day fellas.

Poor game, no doubt.

TexanSam
10-08-2012, 11:53 PM
That was the worst game I've seen JoJo play. I'm hoping it was because he was injured. He has enough history of playing well that I'm hopeful.

I don't think there's anything to worry about. All players have rough games.

Texecutioner
10-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Say what you want, but Kareem has come a long, long way....

Three picks this year...one returned for TD...

Kareem could be a pro bowler or at the very least borderline pro bowler by years end.

Totally agree. I've been watching him knock balls away quite a bit this year, be in position a lot better, and get a few picks now at big times. I'm happy to have Jackson on this team as a starter. He very well might end up as a Pro Bowler unless Joseph is one and people don't want to vote for two different guys from the same team.

Titans Sux 72
10-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Not tonite.

Kjax was the better Corner tonite.
Props to Kjax.

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Everyone has an off day fellas.

Poor game, no doubt.

Most people don't want to admit it around here, but his play has been getting worse as the year goes on. Tonight, Mark Sanchez was picking on him & Kerley (sp) was making a name for himself.

I think it's a medical thing, related to his groin. Just like Schaub, Aj, & Arian, we need Jjo for the long haul. He needs to be sat for a few weeks, if that's what it takes, before he pulls something & miss significant time.

Yeah, we're playing the Packers next week, Sunday night. But in the grand scheme of things, that game doesn't mean anything. It's not a conference/division game & if it would help Jjo get back to his All-Pro form, he should sit, or at least reduce the number of snaps he's playing.

Luv_ya_blue
10-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Most people don't want to admit it around here, but his play has been getting worse as the year goes on. Tonight, Mark Sanchez was picking on him & Kerley (sp) was making a name for himself.

I think it's a medical thing, related to his groin. Just like Schaub, Aj, & Arian, we need Jjo for the long haul. He needs to be sat for a few weeks, if that's what it takes, before he pulls something & miss significant time.

Yeah, we're playing the Packers next week, Sunday night. But in the grand scheme of things, that game doesn't mean anything. It's not a conference/division game & if it would help Jjo get back to his All-Pro form, he should sit, or at least reduce the number of snaps he's playing.

I don't disagree with a single thing that you've said here.
Good post.

ObsiWan
10-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Well, I don't know what the rest of you think, but IMO Jonathan Joseph had his worst game ever with this team. I don't know whether he was playing hurt or what, but regarding who is the No #1 corner, it dang sure ain't JJoe.

WTF was up with him, anyway? Was he playing hurt or what?

Remember a week or two back there was some talk that J. Jo wouldn't play because of a grin thingie...? Remember he sat out practice for a day or two because of it. I think he's trying to play thru it and it's lowering his effectiveness.

foo82
10-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm loving it.

I remember McClain saying that Kareem will never be a good pro-bowl corner. He just doesn't have the physical tools necessary.

Rey
10-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon, but it's time to start mentioning Kareem as a possible pro bowl.

Even last week against green bay he played a good game.

Texecutioner
10-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Hopefully I'm not speaking too soon, but it's time to start mentioning Kareem as a possible pro bowl.

Even last week against green bay he played a good game.

He has played excellent all season if you ask me. Not to early at all. He has become a very solid corner.

Premier
10-21-2012, 06:36 PM
i just dont think too many number 2's get nods for the probowl.. kareem has been great, ive been on his side since day one..

SAMURAITEXAN
10-21-2012, 07:12 PM
KJ played well. Credit should go to both KJ and DB coach Vance Joseph.

drunkcookie
10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Where in the hell was KJ today? Didn't see him...a good thing...

TejasTom
10-21-2012, 09:08 PM

Blanketing his receiver.

hradhak
10-21-2012, 09:50 PM
KJ played really well. I watched him on many plays at the game. He didn't let his receiver get much separation throughout. My only complaint is that he needs to turn around. He's likely to get PI calls if he doesn't turn his head and play the ball. I think he could defense more and take some away also.

ThaJokaa
10-22-2012, 02:06 PM
i just dont think too many number 2's get nods for the probowl.. kareem has been great, ive been on his side since day one..

Same here; I really wanted KJac to lay out Jacoby!! But it didnt happen since that scrub only had one catch..

Bulls on Parade
10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
KJ played really well. I watched him on many plays at the game. He didn't let his receiver get much separation throughout. My only complaint is that he needs to turn around. He's likely to get PI calls if he doesn't turn his head and play the ball. I think he could defense more and take some away also.
That bothers me as well. He never turns his head around to look for the ball and he's already in great position to knock it away or intercept it. I'm on board with him becoming a pro bowler if he ever learns to do that right.

drs23
10-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Like TejasTom says: He was blanketing his receiver, tightly.

Blanketing his receiver.

And when not doing that he was zeroing in on open field kill shots. Dude is a killer when making sure, open field tackles. He played very well.

What a wasted pick. :kitten: (sorry, couldn't pass that shot up)

76Texan
10-22-2012, 03:44 PM

And when not doing that he was zeroing in on open field kill shots. Dude is a killer when making sure, open field tackles. He played very well.

LOL!

I think it's a little early to talk about the Pro Bowl.

Right now, I'm just happy that he plays as the solid all-around CB I know he is.

Marcus
10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
I think it's a little early to talk about the Pro Bowl.

Before the season even started, people were talking about him being a first round bust. (I'm betting there's a couple who still think he is.)

How quickly things change.

drunkcookie
10-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Like I said: "a good thing..."

Rey
11-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Kareem has been better this year than Joseph. He's been more of a shutdown corner overall.

TexansBlood
11-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Kareem has been better this year than Joseph. He's been more of a shutdown corner overall.

Joseph is covering the #1 receiver not the 2nd option.... but yes Kareem is playing extremely good.

SCOTTexans
11-11-2012, 10:13 PM
Joseph is covering the #1 receiver not the 2nd option.... but yes Kareem is playing extremely good.

This... Kareem has been awesome but he is not on the #1. There is a big difference

Mr. Texan
11-11-2012, 10:14 PM
the difference between brandon marshall and devin hester is pretty staggering

Rey
11-11-2012, 10:24 PM

Joseph covered top guys last year too...

Joseph does cover top guys more often, but Kareem has still had a better year overall.

Kareem has been owning his guys. Joseph has looked suspect at times. I think it's mostly due to his injury, but I'm just stating what I've seen.

HJam72
11-12-2012, 03:22 AM
In answer to the OP title, "Yes, and that is part of why we are 8-1." :fans:

NitroGSXR
11-12-2012, 11:23 AM

Jackson's interception was while covering Marshall. He made a perfect read and just snatched that ball from Marshall.

Just saying...

infantrycak
11-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Jackson's interception was while covering Marshall. He made a perfect read and just snatched that ball from Marshall.

Just saying...

That was largely on coaching. At the LOS they gave a man coverage look with JJo on Marshall and KJ on Brown. JJo stayed on Marshall's hip and KJ popped off Brown to undercut the pass to Marshall. Looked like a very designed recognition that Marshall is going to be the target 80% but designed to look like standard Texans man coverage. But KJ did an excellent job.

76Texan
11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
That was largely on coaching. At the LOS they gave a man coverage look with JJo on Marshall and KJ on Brown. JJo stayed on Marshall's hip and KJ popped off Brown to undercut the pass to Marshall. Looked like a very designed recognition that Marshall is going to be the target 80% but designed to look like standard Texans man coverage. But KJ did an excellent job.

It's not the first time we do this. We have this 3-way going on with 2 CBs and a safety from time to time; usually with the nickel back. In this case, KJ was on the receiver in the slot so he was in a position similar to a nickel back.

Mr teX
11-12-2012, 11:48 AM
KJ is becoming that dude now....:clap: Props to the young padwan for continuing to work & not loosing his confidence.

Premier
11-12-2012, 12:35 PM

Just saying...

kJ was was covering Bennett, JJo was covering Marshall. Jackson left his man and Demps picked him up while Jackson jumped the pass to Marshall.. dont know if it was a designed scheme or kjax just gambled. it was a bit risky because if the safety doesnt pick up his man, hes streaking down field wide open... if it was just jackson making a play, then he did a great job reading cutlers eyes as he left his man before cutler loaded up to throw. im thinkin KJ was aware he had saftey help so he jumped at the chance to make a play..

but all the talk about kjax being slow and a liability deep, he stayed with the speedy hester on deep routes stride for stride..

Thorn
11-12-2012, 12:41 PM
The difference between KJ's first two years here, and this year is remarkable. We were right back then to call him horrible, and we're right now when noticing how good he is.

What happened inbetween is probably a combination of many things, but whatever it was, I know I'm glad it happened.

76Texan
11-12-2012, 01:39 PM
The difference between KJ's first two years here, and this year is remarkable. We were right back then to call him horrible, and we're right now when noticing how good he is.

What happened inbetween is probably a combination of many things, but whatever it was, I know I'm glad it happened.

Sure, the doubters were "right" to call him out back then when KJax made some poor plays.

However, they were "wrong" back then when they assumed that some plays were his responsibilities.

On top of that, and most importantly, they were wrong when they didn't think KJax would ever make it as a starting CB for a good NFL team (or highly unlikely to.)

I think it's most honorable to just happily enjoy the crow servings. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Thorn
11-12-2012, 01:45 PM
I think it's most honorable to just happily enjoy the crow servings. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

LOL. Dude, we as fans, have more than likely called a billion quadtrillion things wrong in our fannish haste to judge the teams we follow. That's just what fans do. I can't count the number of times I've been wrong. What does it matter?

KJ is playing excellent these days, and we all appreciate that. Just go with the flow. If Schaub has a bad day, he's a turd. If he has a good day, he's a hero. It's the nature of sports.

76Texan
11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
LOL. Dude, we as fans, have more than likely called a billion quadtrillion things wrong in our fannish haste to judge the teams we follow. That's just what fans do. I can't count the number of times I've been wrong. What does it matter?

KJ is playing excellent these days, and we all appreciate that. Just go with the flow. If Schaub has a bad day, he's a turd. If he has a good day, he's a hero. It's the nature of sports.

It's all good. :gamer:

LikeMike
11-12-2012, 02:08 PM

Actually he was improving all along. He just started at a ridiculous low level (because he had to be a #1 corner right away without a pass rush or real safety help on a historically bad defense) and after that people were just waiting for him making mistakes. His second season was leap and bounds better than his first - and he improved a lot this year as well. It takes time for cornerbacks to arrive in this league, that's what we've been saying about KJ all along. And the good thing is: he is still improving. He might be a true #1 CB next year...

Trail.Blazr
11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
KJ is becoming that dude now....:clap: Props to the young padwan for continuing to work & not loosing his confidence.

And not reading this board! :smiliepalm: