PDA

View Full Version : Roof open tomorrow?

robroy72
09-29-2012, 07:38 PM
http://www.weather.com/weather/tomorrow/Houston+TX+USTX0617:1:US

Low of 58, High of 74 ... guessing it'll be a open container tomorrow.

Lucky
09-29-2012, 07:40 PM
No way, a 10% chance of rain will keep it closed.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 07:45 PM
No way, a 10% chance of rain will keep it closed.

Especially since the weatherman's accuracy is + or - 50%. :kitten:

ATXtexanfan
09-29-2012, 07:51 PM
Hope not.

robroy72
09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Didn't realize that the Texans actually listened to the fans and changed the roof open policy

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com/gameday/stadium-info/roof-policy.html

"Houston Texans Roof Policy (50/80 rule):

We will consider opening the roof at Reliant Stadium when the game time temperature is projected to be between 50 and 80 degrees. Our goal for implementing the “50-80 Rule” is to provide the most comfortable environment possible to enjoy Houston Texans games. Please note that the threat of rain will influence this decision, and when there is a good chance of rain during a game, the roof will be closed. Also, our parameters for late afternoon and evening games may shift slightly because of the absence of direct sunlight. However, we plan to use the general parameters established with your input to make the roof position decision for each game.

Our research clearly demonstrated that we cannot please everyone, every time with our roof position decision. However, we are hopeful that this note helps to point out that our approach is thoughtful, deliberate and focused on creating the best environment possible for the majority of our fans to enjoy games at Reliant Stadium."

Speedy
09-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Didn't realize that the Texans actually listened to the fans and changed the roof open policy

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com/gameday/stadium-info/roof-policy.html

"Houston Texans Roof Policy (50/80 rule):

We will consider opening the roof at Reliant Stadium when the game time temperature is projected to be between 50 and 80 degrees. Our goal for implementing the “50-80 Rule” is to provide the most comfortable environment possible to enjoy Houston Texans games. Please note that the threat of rain will influence this decision, and when there is a good chance of rain during a game, the roof will be closed. Also, our parameters for late afternoon and evening games may shift slightly because of the absence of direct sunlight. However, we plan to use the general parameters established with your input to make the roof position decision for each game.

Our research clearly demonstrated that we cannot please everyone, every time with our roof position decision. However, we are hopeful that this note helps to point out that our approach is thoughtful, deliberate and focused on creating the best environment possible for the majority of our fans to enjoy games at Reliant Stadium."

Yeah, that went into affect September 19, 2005.

Stemp
09-29-2012, 08:15 PM

I remember that because we got burnt to a crisp during the Raider game.

ObsiWan
09-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I doubt it. Ch. 2 weather dude just said 20% chance of rain.

robroy72
09-29-2012, 08:20 PM

It did? I thought the policy last year was if it was below 72 degrees at kick off, they would open it. I may have overdosed on the :koolaid:

Jackie Chiles
09-29-2012, 08:20 PM
I remember that because we got burnt to a crisp during the Raider game.

Thought it was a Steelers game.

Stemp
09-29-2012, 08:23 PM

You are correct. I just remember we thought we'd have an advantage because they wore black and it was so sunny and hot. The only ones who lost were the fans unfortunately.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 08:32 PM
You are correct. I just remember we thought we'd have an advantage because they wore black and it was so sunny and hot. The only ones who lost were the fans unfortunately. Actually, the heat was to be advantageous to our team, but the architects evidently screwed up because the home bench side incinerated way before the visitor's............and we almost lost Granma!

robroy72
09-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Yeah .... my neighbor was at it, and likes to chide his buddy who bought the tickets in the microwave regularly!

SheTexan
09-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Really doesn't matter. We had so many scorchers back in the "old" days it was inevitable, esp since they started getting massive complaints from CLUB PSL owners with threats to give up their seats if they didn't do something. Of course, when ya have 150 people visiting the first aide station in ONE quarter, it was time to get out of your AC box and realize fans were getting sick.

I think the Raider game was just as HOT as the Steeler game, but, it was the Steeler game that got the job done.

drs23
09-29-2012, 09:11 PM
I just searched the Texans' site but couldn't find the quote but earlier today I was watching the TV & Media section and there was a conversation between Nick & Drew where that question came up. Their response was something along the lines of "look for it very seldom because Kubiak likes it closed" as it provides a "perfect atmosphere" and "crowd noise" was also a factor.

TheIronDuke
11-19-2012, 05:02 PM
So, why exactly wasn't the roof open yesterday? Was absolutely perfect weather.

drs23
11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
So, why exactly wasn't the roof open yesterday? Was absolutely perfect weather.

Someone posted the reason was 10% chance of rain. Nick Scurfield said on one of his bits that if was up to Gary, it'd be closed every game. Looks like Gary might have just a little stroke. idonno:

badboy
11-19-2012, 05:13 PM
So, why exactly wasn't the roof open yesterday? Was absolutely perfect weather.Because Kubiak said close it. 610 had funny skit this afternoon with one guy being Mcnair and other Gary.

Bob McNair: Beautiful day Gary, let's open stadium.

Kubiak: No.

Bob: Gary come on national tv looking at our beautiful stadium..

Gary: No.

McNair: You know 72,000 fans will make lots of noise with roof open.

Gary: No.

Game day announcer: Houston Texans have decided for the roof to remain closed.

TheIronDuke
11-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Someone posted the reason was 10% chance of rain. Nick Scurfield said on one of his bits that if was up to Gary, it'd be closed every game. Looks like Gary might have just a little stroke. idonno:

What a waste of money.

SheTexan
11-19-2012, 05:47 PM
RUMOR only!!

I read on some website, don't remember which, it's the Internet ya know, that they had some kind of mechanical problem that would not allow the roof to open entirely. Who knows, and who cares, really!!! Kubiak should have the final say IMHO!

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 05:49 PM
What a waste of money.

I heard this on the radio & thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Waste of money? pssh..

That stadium has been standing for 10 years & that roof has been open many times. Heck, I remember a time when people would complain about the roof being open, especially in the heat of the summer which is why the started the 80-50 rule.

Now, Gary is trying to instill a homefield advantage & is taking advantage of every variable in his control.

If it helps, if the team thinks it helps, keep that fukar closed. Next year, or the year after, or the year after that, whenever they feel like they don't need the gimmick, open it up.

Just because we decide not to open it in 2012 does not make it a waste of money.

Big Lou
11-19-2012, 06:16 PM
RUMOR only!!

I read on some website, don't remember which, it's the Internet ya know, that they had some kind of mechanical problem that would not allow the roof to open entirely. Who knows, and who cares, really!!! Kubiak should have the final say IMHO!

Update:

Reliant Stadium Roof just put on IR for the rest of the season, for broken spindle housing. They are doing an MRI later this week.

TexansFanatic
11-19-2012, 06:31 PM
What a waste of money.

My thoughts exactly. What a ridiculous waste of money.

Paul McCartney played Minute Maid last Wednesday. The concert started at 9pm and the temperature was in the upper 40's by the time the concert was over. But it was a spectacular clear, crisp evening and nobody gave a damn about a little chill in the air.

The Texans are just silly about this.

Fred
11-19-2012, 06:55 PM
Update:

Reliant Stadium Roof just put on IR for the rest of the season, for broken spindle housing. They are doing an MRI later this week.

Sounds pretty serious. Is this something the roof can recover from 100% before next year, or is this a lingering type issue that makes it more likely to keep breaking down in the future? We need to get CND's analysis of this!

TheIronDuke
11-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I heard this on the radio & thought it was the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

This is the second time you've called me dumb or called me out about something I post. People here are allowed to say things that you don't agree with. I didn't go to your thread about what freaking time a game starts that kicks off 12:30 EST and call you a moron for not understanding how time zones work.

People paid a lot of money and actually might like to be in an open-air atmosphere. I know I do. And when the weather permits the 2-3 times a year to watch a game without a roof I think it oughta be open. And the retractable roof cost a hell of a lot more money than just having a damn roof full-time so maybe we could've saved taxpayers money.

Sorry if you don't agree but I promise you I'm no idiot. I'm also not an attention whore who posts in every freaking thread to the tune of 300+ posts a month.

thunderkyss
11-19-2012, 07:21 PM
This is the second time you've called me dumb or called me out about something I post.

I didn't go to your thread about what freaking time a game starts that kicks off 12:30 EST and call you a moron for not understanding how time zones work.

Sorry if you don't agree but I promise you I'm no idiot.

Honestly, I'm not picking on you. If anyone else made the "wasted money" comment I'd have quoted that post. Ten years, the roofs been open before. The roof will be open again. We didn't open it yesterday, that does not constitute a waste of money. Never is a mighty long time.

It's not that I think you are intellectually challenged, haven't given it much thought, usually don't get that personal on the internet. But...

That thread has gone 2 pages now, 20 replies. Maybe it's not really about the time zones.

Just saying.

TimeKiller
11-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Yeah. Roof closed and we got blasted by the a/c. It was cold. I think I would've been able to yell louder if I wasn't shivering!

Shaft75
11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
pfffft... We're a dome team anyways. Right NBC?

TexansFanatic
11-20-2012, 12:29 AM
Will be interesting to see if the league urges the Texans to open the roof for the playoffs, as MLB did with the Astros.

Showtime100
11-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Bud Selig would have heard our preference and illegaly ordered the opposite. :D

TexansFanatic
11-20-2012, 12:45 AM
The roof was closed for the playoff game against Cincy in January. Anyone remember what the weather was like that day?

EDIT: Never mind.....found it. "It’s partly cloudy with weather in the mid-70′s in Houston on Saturday. There is no chance of rain. But we suspect the Texans will keep the roof closed because it creates a bigger homefield advantage."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/07/texans-havent-decided-whether-to-close-roof-yet/

Scooter
11-20-2012, 12:56 AM
The roof was closed for the playoff game against Cincy in January. Anyone remember what the weather was like that day?

the only thing i remember is the atmosphere was LOUD with a 100% chance of kicking ass.

silentassassin
11-20-2012, 03:24 AM
pfffft... We're a dome team anyways. Right NBC?

Yup. The indoor/finesse team nobody knew could get physical until they show it on national TV. Even after, we're still that indoor/finesse team!!