PDA

View Full Version : AJ...132 yards away from 10,000

EllisUnit
09-28-2012, 08:50 PM
6th fastest player in NFL history....

The boy is a beast, to bad he missed most of last season. I hope he can play 5-6 more seasons and get way up there on the list, where he currently ranks 32nd all time in nfl history in recieving yards.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Andre-Johnson-closing-in-on-10000-receiving-yards/e5ffcba2-19b1-47da-a0cc-b725ead23ee0

badboy
09-28-2012, 10:25 PM
On pace for 1130 yard season for AJ and 4,000 yards for Schaub.

Scooter
09-28-2012, 10:29 PM
if he sticks around, dre's going to be pretty high up there in the yardage category. what i'd like to see is a breakout touchdown season to match his other gaudy totals and help his hall of fame bid. he looked good early last year, and has two already this year - hopefully it's a sign that he's going to be in the endzone a whole lot more.

eriadoc
09-29-2012, 01:40 AM
Just out or curiosity, I wanted to see a couple points of reference from other players.

Anquan Boldin has the current records, if you call them that, for fastest player to 300, 400, 500, and 600 receptions. He hit those marks at 47 games, 67 games, 80 games, and 98 games, respectively. He hit 707 receptions to finish last season, at 125 games. He has 55 TDs. AJ is sitting at 125 games right now, through week 3 of the season, and has 719 catches and 54 TDs. AJ has more yardage and accordingly, more yards per game. Overall, their stats are very close.

Torry Holt was the fastest player to both 10000 and 11000 yards. He hit those marks at 116 and 130 games. That's approximately 84.6 yards per game, which eclipses AJ's current average by almost 6 yards per game. Holt played 10 years and racked up 869 receptions for 12,660 yards and 74 touchdowns. That's 14.57 yards per catch, compared to AJ's 13.7 yards per catch. Or, if you prefer, AJ's post-Carr average of 14.49 yards per catch.

What does any of this mean? Nothing for now, just offers a point of reference. But I do have some concern that HOF voters are going to see AJ's stats against his contemporaries and not put him in. There are very deserving WRs right now sitting on the sidelines that should be in, watching their accomplishments get watered down with each passing year. AJ's going to have to keep this up for a while, I think.

That doesn't make him any less awesome as a WR, but it brings about a little perspective if you take offf your homer glasses for a bit.

rolyat93
09-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Just out or curiosity, I wanted to see a couple points of reference from other players.

Anquan Boldin has the current records, if you call them that, for fastest player to 300, 400, 500, and 600 receptions. He hit those marks at 47 games, 67 games, 80 games, and 98 games, respectively. He hit 707 receptions to finish last season, at 125 games. He has 55 TDs. AJ is sitting at 125 games right now, through week 3 of the season, and has 719 catches and 54 TDs. AJ has more yardage and accordingly, more yards per game. Overall, their stats are very close.

Torry Holt was the fastest player to both 10000 and 11000 yards. He hit those marks at 116 and 130 games. That's approximately 84.6 yards per game, which eclipses AJ's current average by almost 6 yards per game. Holt played 10 years and racked up 869 receptions for 12,660 yards and 74 touchdowns. That's 14.57 yards per catch, compared to AJ's 13.7 yards per catch. Or, if you prefer, AJ's post-Carr average of 14.49 yards per catch.

What does any of this mean? Nothing for now, just offers a point of reference. But I do have some concern that HOF voters are going to see AJ's stats against his contemporaries and not put him in. There are very deserving WRs right now sitting on the sidelines that should be in, watching their accomplishments get watered down with each passing year. AJ's going to have to keep this up for a while, I think.

That doesn't make him any less awesome as a WR, but it brings about a little perspective if you take offf your homer glasses for a bit.

Honestly man, I wouldn't even worry about it. His career numbers will likely look a lot different by the end anyway, hopefully a couple rings too.:bender:

Tailgate
09-29-2012, 02:11 AM

And you can put them back on if you want to throw Kurt Warner into the equation.

TejasTom
09-29-2012, 08:39 AM
Here's to AJ getting it Sunday. :toast2:

Titans Sux 72
09-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Here's to AJ getting it Sunday. :toast2:

He77 yeah. Think of all the times AJ had to wait on the ball. It still amazes me how open he gets. It's a testament to his all around skills (speed, strength, rout running).

infantrycak
09-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Putting aside the homer comment, I think HoF voters look at more than just naked stats. They'll consider the system Bruce & Holt played in v. AJ playing with Carr for 5 years. They consider things like whether the player was ever in the conversation for best at his position. Even though they aren't supposed to they consider off-field demeanor as well.

eriadoc
09-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Putting aside the homer comment ....

Well, it wasn't intended to be a derogatory comment. I'm a homer, hell. I cheer for my guys and that's that. I think we probably don't think of a guy like Anquan Boldin as a HOFer in the making, but his city's fans (homers) may well have that chatter. I don't know. The term homer is just implying home town perspective, as I was trying to use it.

As for the rest of your post ... well, I hope so. But I don't have a lot of faith, given some of the players they've left hanging. Dr. Doom was one of the three best linebackers of his era, but he's not even getting considered. And he was consistently one of the best, not up and down. Art Monk was never considered one of the best WRs of his era.

Playoffs
09-29-2012, 02:39 PM
...I do have some concern that HOF voters are going to see AJ's stats against his contemporaries and not put him in...
I believe the metric that will seal HOF for numbers junkies is ...

NFL Career Receiving Yards per Game Leaders
Rank Player(age if active), Y/G Years Teams
1. Calvin Johnson (26) .....79.0 2007-2012 det
2. Andre Johnson (30) .....78.9 2003-2012 htx
3. Torry Holt ..................77.4 1999-2009 2TM
4. Larry Fitzgerald (28) ....77.1 2004-2012 crd
5. Marvin Harrison ...........76.7 1996-2008 clt
6. Jerry Rice ..................75.6 1985-2004 3TM

rush2112mn
09-29-2012, 09:33 PM
I hopes he gets 10,000 tommorrow.....would be nice to have him do it here in Houston.....

TexanSam
09-29-2012, 11:06 PM

The fact that Cris Carter hasn't made it to the HOF doesn't seem to bode well for AJ getting in, at least not early on during his eligibility. There's still a lot of football to be played though, and I'm sure AJ will make an even greater case over the next few seasons :D

BlueSteel
09-30-2012, 06:59 AM
The fact that Cris Carter hasn't made it to the HOF doesn't seem to bode well for AJ getting in, at least not early on during his eligibility. There's still a lot of football to be played though, and I'm sure AJ will make an even greater case over the next few seasons :D

Wasn't Cris Carter always eclipsed in the media by players like Michael Irving (who was inducted). Andre is constantly talked about as being the best of this era with Larry being the other big name. Calvin has now moved onto that list as well.

I cannot see AJ not being in the HOF as long as we have plenty of post season success. At the minimum, I will be there to see AJ's jersey draped on our rafters as the first retired Texans number!

infantrycak
09-30-2012, 07:37 AM
Wasn't Cris Carter always eclipsed in the media by players like Michael Irving (who was inducted). Andre is constantly talked about as being the best of this era with Larry being the other big name. Calvin has now moved onto that list as well.

I think his early attitude problems which caused the Eagles to dump Carter are also a problem for him. But yes, for the early part of Carter's best years Jerry Rice was the dominant name, plus Irvin and then for the latter he wasn't even considered the best on his team after Moss arrived.

Lucky
09-30-2012, 08:30 AM
I believe the metric that will seal HOF for numbers junkies is ...

NFL Career Receiving Yards per Game Leaders
Rank Player(age if active), Y/G Years Teams
3. Torry Holt ..................77.4 1999-2009 2TM

Does that mean Holt is a HOF lock? Because I just don't see it. I don't think he was as good as Cris Carter or any better than Andre Reed, who are both on the outside looking into the windows at Canton.

Key to AJ's HOF hopes are playoff appearances and playoff success. He's on the cusp of getting these in bunches.