PDA

View Full Version : Texan weaknesses

badboy
09-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Titans will place us 1/4 thru schedule and should be a win. Hopefully, we will see some backups with Texans getting quality minutes. This team should only get better but I'm interested in what position(s) you think team is weak.

The battle at right guard has me optimistic and Harris may push Newton at right tackle. I still am a bit concerned who steps up if Quin does not re-sign at safety.

I hope we blow up Tennessee and Kubes allows yates to get some playing time second half. Your thoughts?

Vinnie
09-26-2012, 09:42 AM
SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to get this fixed ASAP, or we're in for a huge bite in the ass.

Allstar
09-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Running the ball at the end of the game when we have a big lead could use some fine tuning.

76Texan
09-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I wonder if they will activate Carmichael or Brandon Harris.
Neither have suited up for us.

I did see McCain at outside CB here and there, especially in the second game (third quarter.)
Even Ball was in there a snap or two.

Maybe we can try Ball at safety; after all, he did play there for Wade before.

badboy
09-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Running the ball at the end of the game when we have a big lead could use some fine tuning.Would you want to see more of Fossett late in game or Tate?

gtexan02
09-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Our defense didn't look very good against the hurry up offense, especially down the middle of the field, the past few weeks

paycheck71
09-26-2012, 10:05 AM
SPECIAL TEAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to get this fixed ASAP, or we're in for a huge bite in the ass.

Exactly. Football Outsiders has the Texans ranked dead last in special teams through 3 games, and mentions that as the only reason the Texans aren't #1 overall in their rankings.

badboy
09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
I wonder if they will activate Carmichael or Brandon Harris.
Neither have suited up for us.

I did see McCain at outside CB here and there, especially in the second game (third quarter.)
Even Ball was in there a snap or two.

Maybe we can try Ball at safety; after all, he did play there for Wade before.This would be a good game to see Harris and Roc but I think Wade wants Ball on field more. Harris needs to get some time to see if he will be Brice's replacement 2013.

buddyboy
09-26-2012, 10:58 AM
-Special teams NEED to get better if we're hoping for a deep playoff run this season.

-Being able to pound the ball late in games with the lead, even when other teams know it's coming and are keying in on it is something we haven't showed yet. This could, and most likely is, a weakness of the offensive line.

-Pass rush from our outside line backers and production from Antonio will elevate this defense even higher than it is.

Hervoyel
09-26-2012, 11:14 AM
I just want us to win the game. I don't care if we don't get to see a single backup. I think the Titans are going to be very up for this game and we better be too. When you're on top everybody gives you their best game.

Tailgate
09-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Ben Jones, check. Now we need to get RT in check.

badboy
09-26-2012, 02:19 PM
The Texans only weakness, are weak fans who believe the Texans have a weakness.Okay, support your position by explaining the weaknesses mentioned so far as really strengths.

Scooter
09-26-2012, 02:30 PM
-Special teams NEED to get better if we're hoping for a deep playoff run this season.

-Being able to pound the ball late in games with the lead, even when other teams know it's coming and are keying in on it is something we haven't showed yet. This could, and most likely is, a weakness of the offensive line.

-Pass rush from our outside line backers and production from Antonio will elevate this defense even higher than it is.

read my mind.

Thorn
09-26-2012, 02:31 PM
We can't beat anyone by 70 points yet. If we can't beat anyone by at least 70 points the Texans are losers. We need to trade away everyone on the team for draft choices, and then fire all the coaches and staff. That'll show 'em. :bat:

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
We haven't yet proven ourselves to be able to avoid a loss in a trap game. I don't know if this is a weakness that we will show this year (as we have shown it in years past) since this last game against Peyton is really the first real high that we've come off of. But I am hoping that this will not be a problem.

badboy
09-26-2012, 03:07 PM
We haven't yet proven ourselves to be able to avoid a loss in a trap game. I don't know if this is a weakness that we will show this year (as we have shown it in years past) since this last game against Peyton is really the first real high that we've come off of. But I am hoping that this will not be a problem.I want to see cold determination in all aspects of teams. If Titans score, Texans then march right down field and score. This is a game to dominate and in doing so allow some backups to taste a bit of the wine.

Double Barrel
09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Give Schaub more protection. Dude won't make it 16 games if he keeps taking a beating like he did last game.

This team has not been tested enough to really determine all of their weaknesses. We have yet to see them dig themselves out of a deficit, especially late in games.

SrslySirius
09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
The Texans' biggest weakness? They're just too darn good! Hyuck hyuck!

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Give Schaub more protection. Dude won't make it 16 games if he keeps taking a beating like he did last game.

This team has not been tested enough to really determine all of their weaknesses. We have yet to see them dig themselves out of a deficit, especially late in games.

Although we did see them almost dig themselves into a loss.

The Pencil Neck
09-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Although we did see them almost dig themselves into a loss.

They dug themselves a 5 point hole and then scored 21 points.

badboy
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Dont have to.

Didnt say they were strengths.

Do you have to be strong not to be weak, or can you just be average?

Sure you can and you may be. Most of us are interested in our team getting better and that is why we discuss things like this. Your first post was insulting and you seem to have little to contribute. You could have said you were okay with the team and left it at that.

NastyNate
09-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Interior run defense, offensive line protection.

Double Barrel
09-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Whats insulting to me is to be 3-0 and have people starting threads about our team being weak.

But, to each his own ...

Are you really, honestly insulted by that or is this just hyperbole?

Two resolutions for you: 1) don't click the thread, or 2) get thicker skin and save being insulted for something that really matters.

Dutchrudder
09-26-2012, 05:12 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/Houtaku/703_image_01.jpg

The Texans have no weaknesses people! Move along, there's nothing to see here...

The Pencil Neck
09-26-2012, 05:21 PM
What's scary is that we're 3-0 and we have so many areas we can improve.

On defense, our outside linebackers haven't been getting sacks. They've been getting pressure but they could stand to get a few more sacks.

We looked human against the rush at times. But that was against Reggie Bush and Maurice Jones-Drew and we were able to take the ball out of their hands in other ways. We're only allowing 3.8 yards per rush at this point but if we get into a situation where we've got to stop the run against a good running back, we could have some issues.

We've gotten lucky with opponent receivers dropping balls against us or we might look worse against the pass than we do now.

On offense, we're not putting up pinball types of stats. Although we're 5th in Net Yards per Pass Attempt (which includes sack yardage), we really haven't thrown the ball that much OR tried to go long that much (except for the last game.) Our running game right now is a bit down and the yards per attempt isn't where I'd like it. We need to run more effectively against stacked boxes to close out the games.

That's actually a kind of a nice place to be.

The only phase that is scary is our Special Teams. We haven't gotten the production out of Holliday that we were expecting. We've gotten into a lot of long-field situations with the ball deep in our own territory... otoh, we've forced some turnovers and gotten some short fields, too.

But our ST needs to show up more. And we'll be tested on ST against the Titans.

Thorn
09-26-2012, 05:22 PM
The Texans are a fairly good balanced team with no horrible glaring weaknesses. Which isn't to say they don't have some soft spots, because they do. It's just they are the most balanced they have ever been in all the years we've been watching them.

You could count on one hand the number of NFL teams that are this balanced. Right now we should be happy considering what we've had to endure in the past with this team.

But, I wouldn't mind them spending a few high draft choices on the O line. :)

The Pencil Neck
09-26-2012, 05:27 PM

At this point in time, I'd like a MLB to replace James, an NT/DT, and then another guy for the OL.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I would like to see our ST improve. When our ST improve, we would be really tough to beat.

Go Texans!!!

drs23
09-26-2012, 06:14 PM
What's scary is that we're 3-0 and we have so many areas we can improve.

On defense, our outside linebackers haven't been getting sacks. They've been getting pressure but they could stand to get a few more sacks.

We looked human against the rush at times. But that was against Reggie Bush and Maurice Jones-Drew and we were able to take the ball out of their hands in other ways. We're only allowing 3.8 yards per rush at this point but if we get into a situation where we've got to stop the run against a good running back, we could have some issues.

We've gotten lucky with opponent receivers dropping balls against us or we might look worse against the pass than we do now.

On offense, we're not putting up pinball types of stats. Although we're 5th in Net Yards per Pass Attempt (which includes sack yardage), we really haven't thrown the ball that much OR tried to go long that much (except for the last game.) Our running game right now is a bit down and the yards per attempt isn't where I'd like it. We need to run more effectively against stacked boxes to close out the games.

That's actually a kind of a nice place to be.

The only phase that is scary is our Special Teams. We haven't gotten the production out of Holliday that we were expecting. We've gotten into a lot of long-field situations with the ball deep in our own territory... otoh, we've forced some turnovers and gotten some short fields, too.

But our ST needs to show up more. And we'll be tested on ST against the Titans.

Dinger for TNP's assertation.

The bolded is my contribution, but he beat me to it. Gotta do something to tighten up Coach Joe's teams. They haven't looked sharp at all to me. Granted, it's tough to follow on TV but the rusults aren't. I will say I think Merciles has been doing a pretty good job as has Braman.

Edit: MSR :mad:

HJam72
09-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Used to think I'd never say it, but I wonder if Coach Joe could use replacing. I know it's been said that he's never adjusted from not being able to use "the wedge" anymore, and that very much seems to be the case.

drs23
09-26-2012, 06:23 PM
The Texans are a fairly good balanced team with no horrible glaring weaknesses. Which isn't to say they don't have some soft spots, because they do. It's just they are the most balanced they have ever been in all the years we've been watching them.

You could count on one hand the number of NFL teams that are this balanced. Right now we should be happy considering what we've had to endure in the past with this team.

To the bolded: I think you can count them on one 'finger'. The Texans are the most balance team in the NFL. Just as they were last year.

At this point in time, I'd like a MLB to replace James, an NT/DT, and then another guy for the OL.

I agree about Bradie James. He seems to be a weak link but I've also watched him make a few plays. Less than I've seen him give up though. He often looks out of place. And he's Wade's guy?? :thinking:

In regards to nose tackle, I was damn impressed with Mitchell VS. the Donks. He was in or around a butt load of plays Sunday.

infantrycak
09-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Several people have mentioned run D. Obviously want to improve anywhere possible and run D is very important. I think it is useful to compare how we have done compared to other teams average performances.

Rushing ypc against us v. their overall average.

Miami 4.2 ypc v. 5.0 ypc
Jacksonville 4.6 ypc v. 4.5 ypc
Denver 2.8 ypc v. 3.6 ypc (4.0 before they played us)

So last year's rushing title holder had an average day against us. Miami and last year's #1 rushing team had significantly below average days playing the Texans.

I think the biggest need right now is improved special teams play.

Fili
09-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Weaknesses:
Special teams need to get it together, that safety was just unnecessary.
Our secondary showed a little weakness against an elite quarterback.

EllisUnit
09-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Biggest weakness i see

hmm we could use a newer nicer trophy case to hold the lombardi trophy, we will SOON recieve,,,,, that greatly concerns me.

And the price of beer in the stadium.

And the fact that the local SA stations have to show every overtime game in the world before getting to the texans game.

Yeah guys i feel ya gigantic weaknesses that need to seriously be addressed :truck:

Texan_Bill
09-26-2012, 07:36 PM
The Texans only weakness, are weak fans who believe the Texans have a weakness.

I get what you're saying, especially when the Texans are gonna go 19-0 and all, but there can still be some weaknesses. For example, it took the trainers 2.1 seconds to get to Schaub after he was "Holyfield"... The trainers need to get that cleaned up. It should've taken them 1.6 seconds.

Another thing is the cheerleaders! Where is Lindsay (aka Lil'Red), Celina and the original "twins"? Whatup with that, yo??

There are plenty of weaknesses if you truly want to be objective!!!

gtexan02
09-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Football Outsiders does a really nice job rating teams on efficiency. We're rated 3rd overall. Want to know why? Because we are rated 32/32 on special teams. Yup, 32/32. Ouch

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 10:50 PM
Football Outsiders does a really nice job rating teams on efficiency. We're rated 3rd overall. Want to know why? Because we are rated 32/32 on special teams. Yup, 32/32. Ouch

IIRC that's a drop from 31 last week.

gtexan02
09-26-2012, 10:53 PM
IIRC that's a drop from 31 last week.

It takes into account touchback percentage (Graham doesn't kick a lot of TBs)
Also the majority of Hollidays KRs have not been past the 20
And we allowed a PR TD

The Pencil Neck
09-27-2012, 12:03 AM
It takes into account touchback percentage (Graham doesn't kick a lot of TBs)

I'm starting to think that might be by design. Graham could, and did, kick some out of the end-zone in Denver but it looked like he purposefully tried to put several right at the end-line.

CnD mentioned he thought it might be a Coach Joe call and he may be right.

Wolf6151
09-27-2012, 03:50 AM
Weaknesses:

RT, neither Newton (7th rounder in his 2nd season) or Harris (extensive injury history) thrill me with confidence. The rotation of them at the position seems to be working but I don't see either of them at this point being the long term solution to the position. Maybe Newton improves with experience, but he was a 7th round pick for a reason.

DT/NT, we've all noticed the Texans weakness in run defense up the middle. Cody will be a FA at the end of the year and Mitchell doesn't seem to be great, though I think he works well in a rotation at DT. I think Cody leaves at the end of the season and DT/NT should be a high priority in the 2013 draft. We both like the same guys here.

CB, McCain will be a FA at the end of this season and although he's only an average CB, even mediocre CB's can be expensive in FA. I think McCain will be gone at the end of the season and we still don't know what we have in Harris and Carmichael. I think we could use a talent upgrade at CB. You can never have to many good CB's.

WR, even with Jean and Martin I think we could get better at WR. It's a possibility that Walter could be a salary cap cut at the end of the season and even if he's not some better talent to be the future #2 WR with possibility of becoming the future #1 WR would sure be nice.

RG, I think this is currently a slight weakness since Caldwell has been disappointing but I think we've got the talent already on the team to fill the RG spot for years to come. Either Brooks or Jones will most likely be the future of the position.

P, Donnie Jones has been decent but not great and he's 32 yoa. and not getting any younger. Also field position is so important in the NFL so an upgrade seems to be in order here.

FB, I'd like to see us find a real full time FB for those obvious short yardage/goal line situations where Vonta was so valuable. I like Casey's versatility but he's not a real FB when you need to pound the ball in and I haven't paid any attention to Clutts.

ILB, Bradie James has been unimpressive and I'd like to see Dobbins get a shot at being the starter. Dobbins looked real good in preseason. Both James and Dobbins might be one year rentals anyway.

Wolf6151
09-27-2012, 03:59 AM
Whats insulting to me is to be 3-0 and have people starting threads about our team being weak.

But, to each his own ...

:kubepalm:

No one said anything about our team being weak, on the contrary we all know that the Texans are one of the best teams in the NFL but even the best teams still have weaknesses that can get better. If your truly insulted by the idea of a good team trying to get better then you shouldn't follow any team sports.

BattleRedToro
09-27-2012, 06:01 AM
Weaknesses:

RT, neither Newton (7th rounder in his 2nd season) or Harris (extensive injury history) thrill me with confidence. The rotation of them at the position seems to be working but I don't see either of them at this point being the long term solution to the position. Maybe Newton improves with experience, but he was a 7th round pick for a reason.

DT/NT, we've all noticed the Texans weakness in run defense up the middle. Cody will be a FA at the end of the year and Mitchell doesn't seem to be great, though I think he works well in a rotation at DT. I think Cody leaves at the end of the season and DT/NT should be a high priority in the 2013 draft. We both like the same guys here.

CB, McCain will be a FA at the end of this season and although he's only an average CB, even mediocre CB's can be expensive in FA. I think McCain will be gone at the end of the season and we still don't know what we have in Harris and Carmichael. I think we could use a talent upgrade at CB. You can never have to many good CB's.

WR, even with Jean and Martin I think we could get better at WR. It's a possibility that Walter could be a salary cap cut at the end of the season and even if he's not some better talent to be the future #2 WR with possibility of becoming the future #1 WR would sure be nice.

RG, I think this is currently a slight weakness since Caldwell has been disappointing but I think we've got the talent already on the team to fill the RG spot for years to come. Either Brooks or Jones will most likely be the future of the position.

P, Donnie Jones has been decent but not great and he's 32 yoa. and not getting any younger. Also field position is so important in the NFL so an upgrade seems to be in order here.

FB, I'd like to see us find a real full time FB for those obvious short yardage/goal line situations where Vonta was so valuable. I like Casey's versatility but he's not a real FB when you need to pound the ball in and I haven't paid any attention to Clutts.

ILB, Bradie James has been unimpressive and I'd like to see Dobbins get a shot at being the starter. Dobbins looked real good in preseason. Both James and Dobbins might be one year rentals anyway.

RT, Will be addressed in the draft, possibly in the first 3 rounds, if we don't see improved play at that position this year.

NT, Could also be addressed in the draft, but it will be a lower priority.

RG, We will see Jones take over this position at some point this season. Brooks is the likely future replacement for LG if that happens. Wade Smith is 31.

ILB, is the weakest link on the defense, and will be addressed in the draft, possibly as early as the first 3 rounds. We may see an improvement here if Sharpton returns from the PUP list.

Double Barrel
09-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Or in the spirit of every message board ever ... have an opinion on the topic and or debate or discussion about said topic. Just because I dont agree with a post doesnt mean I have to auto-bypass making a comment.

I wasnt actually insulted but because I voiced my opinion the other poster said it was insulting so I was showing how it could work both ways.

Do I think it is premature to start talking about weakness after three games? Without a doubt. Some of these supposedly weak players are young and given time my prove to be great assests (see Chris Myers).

I understand the spirit of your perspective. But, we live in a sports culture and this is what fans do. Watching NFL Playbook, All Access, NFL Tonight, talk radio, etc., and it's a lot of stuff about breaking down strengths and weaknesses of teams.

As fans, it doesn't mean we are somehow against our team or anything. I have always thought of the forum as being a virtual bar where friends can sit around and shoot the shit about something we all share a passion for, and these kinds of threads reflect that sort of attitude.

If anything, I think this type of thread results from a fan being excited about the team and wanting more conversation about the team. But, I can remember years ago when the entire forum was depressing and every thread was mostly negative because there was nothing positive to talk about. It is nice these days to have threads devoted to analysis instead of bitchfests, if ya' know what I mean.

badboy
09-27-2012, 01:47 PM
At this point in time, I'd like a MLB to replace James, an NT/DT, and then another guy for the OL.At least the '13 draft is deep at your last two positions. I want to review Dlinemen & see if there is one that could convert to MLB.

Big Lou
09-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I understand that ST isn't a team strength right now, but I don't see it as bad as some make it out to be.

Kick offs are a little weak, but teams are only averaging just under 25 yards per return, the D can mop that up.

Kick Returns need some work. Joe needs to tell Holliday when you catch the ball in the parking it take a knee and get the ball at the 20 for crying out loud. We are averaging a 17 yard return, which the vast majority of teams are in the low to mid 20's. There are some teams well above that number, but they have a long return or two skewing the average from a small sample size.

Punt Returns are middle of the pack at 10 yards. In three games we played in Denver (Hello 30 second hang time!!!), and a punter drafted in the 3rd round. Holliday needs to get better or put Martin in there, not a huge concern.

Punting distance is in the top third of the NFL, coverage is a little sketchy, as we are in the bottom third. We are giving up about 15 yards per return. I haven't paid attention to DJ's hang time, perhaps he is giving up hang time for distance.

This doesn't look like most of this can't be fixed. These are the kinds of issues where little improvements pay huge dividends. I'm not concerned, other than Holliday makes me a little nervous at times. I sure would like to know if they have someone else that they know will field the ball 100% of the time and hold on to it that they can put in when warranted and justifiably give up the deep return threat.

amazing80
09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
I still think a good passing team could carve us up, unless our front 7 continues to dominate....

I think our oline (in turn our run game) is a major question mark. Foster seems to be able to hold his own, but there is a noticeable difference from last season. The right side is a disaster still.

Bradie James is terrible.

Our special teams needs to get a few guys back then prove the pre-season was legit.

Titans Sux 72
09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Are you really, honestly insulted by that or is this just hyperbole?

Two resolutions for you: 1) don't click the thread, or 2) get thicker skin and save being insulted for something that really matters.

Probably really insulted. It chaps my azzz when people become complacent. This team is not perfect and does have weaknesses. As many have said The run D is not as solid as it can be (ie Reggie Bush, MJD). And like everybody else said Special teams (return teams).

These are the same fans when or if the Texans lose cry bloody murder and call for Kube's head for 1 freaking loss. Play it one game at a time and get better every game. That is One of the main strengths this team does have. Correcting problems mid game and week to week.

1-0!

09-27-2012, 05:00 PM

I am on the "Bradie James is extremely mediocre" train as well, but I got to give him props for his play against the run last week.

powda
09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Texans weaknesses:

Salary cap
Bradie James
T Holliday
Right tackle (I think the future rg is on the roster now and will improve enough to be considered a solid player/strength)
Goal line offense play calling
Is Earl Mitchell a solid nose tackle if cody goes down? (Nt depth)
Finally, we are the hunted instead of the hunter.

76Texan
09-27-2012, 06:21 PM
I still think a good passing team could carve us up, unless our front 7 continues to dominate....

I think our oline (in turn our run game) is a major question mark. Foster seems to be able to hold his own, but there is a noticeable difference from last season. The right side is a disaster still.

Our special teams needs to get a few guys back then prove the pre-season was legit.

Texans weaknesses:

Salary cap
Bradie James
T Holliday
Right tackle (I think the future rg is on the roster now and will improve enough to be considered a solid player/strength)
Is Earl Mitchell a solid nose tackle if cody goes down? (Nt depth)
From a couple of other threads:

Texans averaged 0.51 yards off LT (ranked 31st) and 4.73 off RT (ranked 10th).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It's not clear how the players were involved, but the difference is big enough to at least show that Newton has been effective in the run game.

I've been saying that there were more poor running plays to the left side and it seems like quite a few people didn't want to believe me.

Also, look at the last table where it shows we ran 6% of the time off LT and 10% of the time off RT.

They did not break down the runs off RG and LG, so on that part, we don't have separate numbers.

There are only 10 teams that allowed fewer QB hits and sacks combined than the Texans.

We allowed 3 sacks and 11 hits (for a total of 14).

Of those 10 teams, 3 allowed 13, 2 allowed 12, 2 allowed 11, and 2 allowed 10.

Buffalo is leading with just 5 QB Hits and zero sack.

I don't know how many of those QB Hits were due to a blitz where the QB did not have enough men to block, but for the Texans, there were a few times that Schaub decided to take to make a play; ie. there was a free blitzer that Schaub is responsible for.

So it's not like we're weak at protecting the QB as compared to the rest of the league.

powda
09-27-2012, 07:03 PM
From a couple of other threads:

Texans averaged 0.51 yards off LT (ranked 31st) and 4.73 off RT (ranked 10th).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It's not clear how the players were involved, but the difference is big enough to at least show that Newton has been effective in the run game.

I've been saying that there were more poor running plays to the left side and it seems like quite a few people didn't want to believe me.

Also, look at the last table where it shows we ran 6% of the time off LT and 10% of the time off RT.

They did not break down the runs off RG and LG, so on that part, we don't have separate numbers.

There are only 10 teams that allowed fewer QB hits and sacks combined than the Texans.

We allowed 3 sacks and 11 hits (for a total of 14).

Of those 10 teams, 3 allowed 13, 2 allowed 12, 2 allowed 11, and 2 allowed 10.

Buffalo is leading with just 5 QB Hits and zero sack.

I don't know how many of those QB Hits were due to a blitz where the QB did not have enough men to block, but for the Texans, there were a few times that Schaub decided to take to make a play; ie. there was a free blitzer that Schaub is responsible for.

So it's not like we're weak at protecting the QB as compared to the rest of the league.

I think newton is in the mold of winston in a lot of ways. Decent now in the run game with the potential to be very good, but poor against a quick edge rush. Stats can often be deceiving and as your aware newton has the benifitt of a guard and a tight end in the run game. I havent given up on the guy as I understand he's a work in progress. I want to see more. Clearly, he is not a texans strength and far closer to a weakness. He may be ok durring the regular season but come the playoffs he'd better have his act together or he will be exploited.

badboy
09-27-2012, 11:04 PM
I think newton is in the mold of winston in a lot of ways. Decent now in the run game with the potential to be very good, but poor against a quick edge rush. Stats can often be deceiving and as your aware newton has the benifitt of a guard and a tight end in the run game. I havent given up on the guy as I understand he's a work in progress. I want to see more. Clearly, he is not a texans strength and far closer to a weakness. He may be ok durring the regular season but come the playoffs he'd better have his act together or he will be exploited.I think Kubes saw Newton as at least comparable to Winston & maybe surpassing by end of season.

Thorn
09-28-2012, 06:40 AM

Yeah, this is kinda new for us.

TejasTom
09-28-2012, 07:03 AM
Texans weaknesses:

Salary cap

Two good points here.
Goal play calls have been driving me nuts....almost as bad as the infamous half-back pass.

badboy
09-28-2012, 02:11 PM
I think the next draft will be very different for us in that we will not be drafting for positional need to start but more likely backup strength. We should be able to begin soldifying our depth.

NT is my highest priority as I do not see Cody returning in '13 due to cap & age. Mitchell has not proven to be much more than rotational & not sure I'd want to start him '13 in his last contract year.

I'm not sure our RG of future is on roster. I think Jones could handle but prefer him as a center with another OG on right. Can Brooks be that guy? I say go for RG in draft & allow Brooks a '13 to develop and maybe take Wade Smith's place.

2013: LT Brown, LG Smith/Brooks, C Myers/Jones RG Jones/draft pick RT Newton/Harris
2014: LT Brown, LG Brooks, C Jones (Myers will complete his guarantee '13 & is due $5m and $6m in '14 & '15 cut him) RG Draft pick from 2013 RT Newton.

Who knows? Maybe Cody White can be prepared enough to be OG back up by then.

steelbtexan
09-28-2012, 02:37 PM
ST's are the biggest weakness the Texans have. IMHO

HJam72
09-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I think our biggest weakness is the fact that this is a game of attrition and that the clock is ticking for A.J., if not Schaub. However durable they both are, that will fade, hopefully slowly. A.J. apparently gave the team some kind of speech before the playoffs started last year along the lines of, "I'm not going to be in my prime forever and it's time to start (winning, fighting for a SB, whatever)," and that certainly still holds true. They have to do more than they did last year (which it at least looks like they will), and, who knows, if they're going to win it all, this might be the year it has to be done.

Wolf6151
09-28-2012, 04:29 PM
NT is my highest priority as I do not see Cody returning in '13 due to cap & age. Mitchell has not proven to be much more than rotational & not sure I'd want to start him '13 in his last contract year.

I'm not sure our RG of future is on roster. I think Jones could handle but prefer him as a center with another OG on right. Can Brooks be that guy? I say go for RG in draft & allow Brooks a '13 to develop and maybe take Wade Smith's place.

I agree with you that DT/NT is our biggest need, the middle of the D-line needs to be solidified by someone who can hold up to the double teams, stuff the run, and occasionally collapse the pocket on the inside. A better DT/NT will also lessen our need for a better ILB next to Cushing.

We disagree on the RG position. I think our future at RG is on the roster already. I like what Jones can do at RG this year but like you I like him better at C and think that Brooks is the future of the RG position. I think that RT is a bigger need on the O-line, we can't keep up a 2 man rotation forever, it hurts the roster when you've got 2 guys doing the job that 1 should be handling. I think that Newton/Harris is a patchwork for this year and that RT should be addressed in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.

utahmark
09-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I think our biggest weakness is the fact that this is a game of attrition and that the clock is ticking for A.J., if not Schaub. However durable they both are, that will fade, hopefully slowly. A.J. apparently gave the team some kind of speech before the playoffs started last year along the lines of, "I'm not going to be in my prime forever and it's time to start (winning, fighting for a SB, whatever)," and that certainly still holds true. They have to do more than they did last year (which it at least looks like they will), and, who knows, if they're going to win it all, this might be the year it has to be done.

A.J. is not the key to this offense anymore. Our offense is to versatile and Kubiak is to good an offensive guy to let any one player change the fate of this team. Unless that player happens to be Schaub.

CloakNNNdagger
09-28-2012, 10:19 PM
I agree with you that DT/NT is our biggest need, the middle of the D-line needs to be solidified by someone who can hold up to the double teams, stuff the run, and occasionally collapse the pocket on the inside. A better DT/NT will also lessen our need for a better ILB next to Cushing.

Well, we may have just found a natural second position of need we could simply plug Trinidon into.:kubepalm::wadepalm:

BattleRedToro
09-28-2012, 10:27 PM

We disagree on the RG position. I think our future at RG is on the roster already. I like what Jones can do at RG this year but like you I like him better at C and think that Brooks is the future of the RG position. I think that RT is a bigger need on the O-line, we can't keep up a 2 man rotation forever, it hurts the roster when you've got 2 guys doing the job that 1 should be handling. I think that Newton/Harris is a patchwork for this year and that RT should be addressed in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.

If Brooks is the future RG then who is the future LG ? Wade Smith is 31. How many more good years do you think he has left?

badboy
09-28-2012, 11:36 PM

We disagree on the RG position. I think our future at RG is on the roster already. I like what Jones can do at RG this year but like you I like him better at C and think that Brooks is the future of the RG position. I think that RT is a bigger need on the O-line, we can't keep up a 2 man rotation forever, it hurts the roster when you've got 2 guys doing the job that 1 should be handling. I think that Newton/Harris is a patchwork for this year and that RT should be addressed in the 2nd round of the 2013 draft.Wolf, as always enjoy exchange of ideas. I think Jones can be successful at RG but would rather see him in 2013 learning the center position and drafting a OG for one side or other. Is Brooks in Kubiak's dog house over weight and effort? I see him at RG in 2013.

I am still leaning towards trading Tate this off season for a first. Denver would be a prime landing spot. Jesse Williams NT, Matthews OT and in 2nd grab Alvin Bailey RG or LG and let him sit behind Smith one year. A late second round pick this year who projects to #2 OG in nation in 2014.

I think Forsett has shown enough to be a #2 back and Griffin showed Smith can still get one cut and go power backs very late or UDFA. If we could get a first for Tate, I'd be willing to spend a later round pick on a RB. Keep an eye on Cierre Wood Notre Dame 6'0 215 4.48

badboy
09-28-2012, 11:51 PM
If Brooks is the future RG then who is the future LG ? Wade Smith is 31. How many more good years do you think he has left?Wolf is right on target. Wade Smith has two years left 2012 @ $2m + $750K (bonus) and 2014 $3m + $750K= cheap. Oline often play into mid 30s and he will be 32 in 2014. There was some talk of an injury last year but I could not nail it down. I prefer to see Ben Jones on right 2012 & 13 and Brooks improving his skills and getting in NFL shape to replace Smith. If Brooks becomes starter, Smith can be cut with only $1.5m against cap. Another strategic move set up by Smith and Olsen. Jones replaces Myers in 2014. We should draft a OG to prepare for 2014.

The Third Man
09-29-2012, 12:39 AM

I am still leaning towards trading Tate this off season for a first. Denver would be a prime landing spot.

I think the Texans would be overjoyed to get a first for Tate. I don't see it happening. He's just about to go into his second contract. When was the last time a non-elite running back garnered a first round pick? I don't think teams would want to give up a number one pick *and* pay a running back a big contract, which is what they would be committing to with Tate. I think the Texans would do well to get another second rounder and a lower pick. They may want to ride it out with Tate through next year while (if) the Super Bowl window is still open.

Norg
09-29-2012, 02:28 AM
on D imma say NT and FS

on O imma say FB and Tackle

Wolf6151
09-29-2012, 02:36 AM
If Brooks is the future RG then who is the future LG ? Wade Smith is 31. How many more good years do you think he has left?

I do think Brooks is the future at RG and Jones is the future at C while filling in at OG so that he gets some experience. W. Smith probably won't be replaced until after the 2013 season and his replacement will most likely be drafted next year to sit for a year behind Smith and then take over the next year. We could also draft a much better RT next year and then move Newton to LG where his limited speed/athleticism for RT wouldn't hurt the team so much and his good enough athleticism for LG would be an assett. I think that's a possibility but I don't think we do it. I think W. Smiths replacement is still in college. I also think that we'll be looking at OT's who have better athleticism than OG's and convert them to the OG position.

As for Tate a 1st round pick from a bad NFC team would be outstanding but I don't think it will happen. I think TTM is correct no team is going to want to give up a 1st AND pay him a major contract. I think it's much more likely that we get a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th. St. Louis would be the perfect team to trade with, they've got extra picks available from the RGIII trade with Washington this year, they're in the NFC so we wouldn't have to play against Tate very often, and they're not a good team so those picks would be high in each respective round. Also Steven Jackson is getting older and slowing down a bit and they could solidify a position that would take alot of pressure off of Bradford.

Rick Wagner-OT could fall to us in the 3rd. He's a bit slow for NFL level OT but he'd be a stud at LG or RG.

BB, how much longer are you working on this mock? When are you posting?

Rey
09-29-2012, 03:05 AM
I think jones and brooks are your future starters at the guard spots. Meyers will likely be here for a while.

Depending on how the RT position shakes out I think we may look for an OT fairly high. Maybe not first round, but maybe 2nd or 3rd.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 07:18 AM
Wolf is right on target. Wade Smith has two years left 2012 @ $2m + $750K (bonus) and 2014 $3m + $750K= cheap. Oline often play into mid 30s and he will be 32 in 2014. There was some talk of an injury last year but I could not nail it down. I prefer to see Ben Jones on right 2012 & 13 and Brooks improving his skills and getting in NFL shape to replace Smith. If Brooks becomes starter, Smith can be cut with only $1.5m against cap. Another strategic move set up by Smith and Olsen. Jones replaces Myers in 2014. We should draft a OG to prepare for 2014.

Wade was dealing with ankle sprain for the last 2 months of the 2011 season. He has to date not shown a recurrence of his problem.

Titans Sux 72
09-29-2012, 09:34 AM
I think the Texans would be overjoyed to get a first for Tate. I don't see it happening. He's just about to go into his second contract. When was the last time a non-elite running back garnered a first round pick? I don't think teams would want to give up a number one pick *and* pay a running back a big contract, which is what they would be committing to with Tate. I think the Texans would do well to get another second rounder and a lower pick. They may want to ride it out with Tate through next year while (if) the Super Bowl window is still open.

I agree. If they were to get an first rounder it would have been this past offseason. Maybe a late second this off season which is something rather than nothing. Just have to weigh the pros and cons of just hanging on to him and let him walk.

GP
09-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Inside LB and NT.

We could get exposed if teams just rush up the gut. When Reggie Bush is running off Guard and getting crazy runs on you...then you're looking at NT and ILB issues, IMO.

Cushing would feast if Wade would put a true run stuffer like Dobbins in beside Cush. And if we had a legit stud at NT? Championship.

drs23
09-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Inside LB and NT.

We could get exposed if teams just rush up the gut. When Reggie Bush is running off Guard and getting crazy runs on you...then you're looking at NT and ILB issues, IMO.

Cushing would feast if Wade would put a true run stuffer like Dobbins in beside Cush. And if we had a legit stud at NT? Championship.

I agree GP but Dobbins has been banged up. Kubiak said everyone except Jean had a full practice Friday so maybe we'll see more of him tomorrow.

GP
09-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I agree GP but Dobbins has been banged up. Kubiak said everyone except Jean had a full practice Friday so maybe we'll see more of him tomorrow.

I don't think even if Dobbins was fully healthy and Bradie James was only at 85% would Wade ever put Dobbins in there.

Wade thinks Bradie's the bomb. I'm having a hard time getting onboard with it. I know he "knows the Wade Phillips defense and calls the plays and stuff" but I just don't see how that can outweigh what happens in the middle, with our LBs, when the ball is snapped. Dobbins kills runners. He eats them and spits them out, and he's not in the game. It's maddening.

The Pencil Neck
09-29-2012, 04:23 PM
I think jones and brooks are your future starters at the guard spots. Meyers will likely be here for a while.

Depending on how the RT position shakes out I think we may look for an OT fairly high. Maybe not first round, but maybe 2nd or 3rd.

I agree with this except I expect the RT position to be handled by Newton and Harris, one way or the other. If they don't get it done, then I think you're right. That will be a high priority next draft.

badboy
09-29-2012, 07:31 PM
I think the Texans would be overjoyed to get a first for Tate. I don't see it happening. He's just about to go into his second contract. When was the last time a non-elite running back garnered a first round pick? I don't think teams would want to give up a number one pick *and* pay a running back a big contract, which is what they would be committing to with Tate. I think the Texans would do well to get another second rounder and a lower pick. They may want to ride it out with Tate through next year while (if) the Super Bowl window is still open.I could see Tate being a back up Texan next season but do think a team that needs a back that can catch and run to protect a huge QB investment risking a 22-31 first. If he does as well as we hope this season a team knows what is is getting + a real cheap year before negotiating. He would not have to get a Foster type deal.

It is hard to be elite when you have Foster getting 25+ carries.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 07:36 PM
I could see Tate being a back up Texan next season but do think a team that needs a back that can catch and run to protect a huge QB investment risking a 22-31 first. If he does as well as we hope this season a team knows what is is getting + a real cheap year before negotiating. He would not have to get a Foster type deal.

It is hard to be elite when you have Foster getting 25+ carries.

As long as we can enjoy it, we ought to be very thankful for and maintain the Twin Terror.:texflag:

ObsiWan
09-29-2012, 07:48 PM
As long as we can enjoy it, we ought to be very thankful for and maintain the Twin Terror.:texflag:
Where's the "Amen, Brother" smiley?
:clap:

badboy
09-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Wade was dealing with ankle sprain for the last 2 months of the 2011 season. He has to date not shown a recurrence of his problem.Thanks for confirming as I thought you had posted to this but I was thinking I might have confused with Caldwell. IMO, Smith needs to step it up.

badboy
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I do think Brooks is the future at RG and Jones is the future at C while filling in at OG so that he gets some experience. W. Smith probably won't be replaced until after the 2013 season and his replacement will most likely be drafted next year to sit for a year behind Smith and then take over the next year. We could also draft a much better RT next year and then move Newton to LG where his limited speed/athleticism for RT wouldn't hurt the team so much and his good enough athleticism for LG would be an assett. I think that's a possibility but I don't think we do it. I think W. Smiths replacement is still in college. I also think that we'll be looking at OT's who have better athleticism than OG's and convert them to the OG position.

As for Tate a 1st round pick from a bad NFC team would be outstanding but I don't think it will happen. I think TTM is correct no team is going to want to give up a 1st AND pay him a major contract. I think it's much more likely that we get a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th. St. Louis would be the perfect team to trade with, they've got extra picks available from the RGIII trade with Washington this year, they're in the NFC so we wouldn't have to play against Tate very often, and they're not a good team so those picks would be high in each respective round. Also Steven Jackson is getting older and slowing down a bit and they could solidify a position that would take alot of pressure off of Bradford.

Rick Wagner-OT could fall to us in the 3rd. He's a bit slow for NFL level OT but he'd be a stud at LG or RG.

BB, how much longer are you working on this mock? When are you posting?How about to Denver who has only 31YOA McGahee or New England whose Stevan Ridley teased with his first game against our next opponent then has fotten worst each week?

I plan on posting new mock after 1/4 mark, probably Monday. You probably won't like it.

badboy
09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
As long as we can enjoy it, we ought to be very thankful for and maintain the Twin Terror.:texflag:Nope. I prefer a starting Jake Matthews or Barrett who can play RG or RT than a back up RB.

Wolf6151
09-30-2012, 01:50 AM
How about to Denver who has only 31YOA McGahee or New England whose Stevan Ridley teased with his first game against our next opponent then has fotten worst each week?

I plan on posting new mock after 1/4 mark, probably Monday. You probably won't like it.

I'd trade Tate to whatever team gives us the best deal. St. Louis makes alot of sense though since they have the extra picks to deal with, they suck so whatever picks we get from them will be high in their respective rounds, and Tate would be in the NFC so we don't have to face him but every 4 yrs.. I'm leery of dealing with New England (Bellichick), he strikes me as a snake oil salesman.

I've finished my latest as well. Why do you think I won't like yours?

GP
09-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Connor Barwin and Bradie James are weak links, IMO.

Bradie is just not physical or fast enough.

Connor is sort of "checked out" to me, leaving Houston--in his mind--about 12 games too early.

Dobbins and Braman should be out there as 1's. Period.

97roc
09-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Connor Barwin and Bradie James are weak links, IMO.

Bradie is just not physical or fast enough.

Connor is sort of "checked out" to me, leaving Houston--in his mind--about 12 games too early.

Dobbins and Braman should be out there as 1's. Period.

Agree somewhat. Dobbins > Bradie. I think Barwin still has it in him to bring it, just hasn't... Braman should be seeing a lot more snaps but not as a 1.

hradhak
09-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I think our biggest weakness is that so far, every game we've had a flat quarter. Today's game we started out great and then kinda went to sleep until Manning's pick 6. We're going to need to play every quarter to beat GB and Baltimore and be a playoff contender.

That said, the only team that can beat us is ourselves. This is the best team in the NFL.

TexanBacker93
09-30-2012, 05:49 PM
I think our kicking tee retrieval kids are struggling. I'm pretty sure one stumbled slightly and almost dropped the tee. You know, it could be because we're scoring too much and these kids aren't used to the grind. More sprints.

Then the only thing I can really see as a big issue is who takes over as water boy if the starter gets hurt.

Thorn
09-30-2012, 08:06 PM
We've out scored opponents 126-56 in four games. Just sayin'

badboy
10-02-2012, 04:06 PM
I think our kicking tee retrieval kids are struggling. I'm pretty sure one stumbled slightly and almost dropped the tee. You know, it could be because we're scoring too much and these kids aren't used to the grind. More sprints.

Then the only thing I can really see as a big issue is who takes over as water boy if the starter gets hurt.So how do you evaluate right side of offensive line? We have a rookie starting RG & Newton at LT has played little until this his second year. What do you think about his back up Harris who is coming off back surgery? What about our back up left tackle who was supposed to be our swing tackle?

Our starting middle linebacker has played like he should be looking for a job on street until Titans. Any comments?

Should we be concerned that you are watching the tee boys?

drs23
10-02-2012, 04:51 PM
So how do you evaluate right side of offensive line? We have a rookie starting RG & Newton at LT has played little until this his second year. What do you think about his back up Harris who is coming off back surgery? What about our back up left tackle who was supposed to be our swing tackle?

Our starting middle linebacker has played like he should be looking for a job on street until Titans. Any comments?

Should we be concerned that you are watching the tee boys?

Texans are ranked #1 in Defense, #2 in Offense. I'd say the offense is certainly slacking.

They've got some work to do. :)

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2012, 08:45 PM
SPECIAL TEAMS
***** 2012 (Week 4) / 2011 (Week 4) /2011 (full season)

Kick ret. avg.: 20.1 (30) / 30.0 (6) / 24.9 (9)

Punt ret. avg.: 9.6 (17) / 14.9 (6) / 10.4 (15)

KR avg. allowed: 23.6 (16) / 24.2 (18) / 22.4 (7)

PR avg. allowed: 12.2 (26) / 12.6 (27) / 9.6 (15)

badboy
10-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Texans are ranked #1 in Defense, #2 in Offense. I'd say the offense is certainly slacking.

They've got some work to do. :)This thread is not about our strengths. See my thread "Is this a Super Bowl team". This thread is about identifying areas that we can improve on. Whatcha think Smith, Wade & Gary is doing same evaluation? :handshake:

CloakNNNdagger
10-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Kubiak today:

(on if WR Trindon Holliday has the green light to take any kickoff out of the end zone to return) No, he doesnt have a bright green light. Hes got a rule, where hes supposed to line up. Im not going to divulge that, but hes got a rule. If he steps backwards, hes supposed to stay in there. If he steps forward, he can come out. I would say hes probably broken the rule a few times, but hes back there for a reason. We want him touching it and returning it, but unfortunately nowadays with the new kickoff spot, most of the times you touch it youre six, seven, eight yards deep. Its a fine line there.

badboy
10-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Kubiak today:I wonder if Holliday's breaking the rule led to his departure? I say yes.

Texn4life
10-10-2012, 01:52 PM
I wonder if Holliday's breaking the rule led to his departure? I say yes.

I like how Kubiak said he wouldn't divulge the rule and then right after that divulged the rule. "I'm not sayin, but I'm just sayin."

badboy
10-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I always wanted to see Trindon blaze passed a Db and haul in a long pass. So did Gary, neither of us were able to.

Perki-Perk
10-10-2012, 02:01 PM
I like how Kubiak said he wouldn't divulge the rule and then right after that divulged the rule. "I'm not sayin, but I'm just sayin."

So it's Kube's fault he got cut! LOL, he was probably like, "DOH!" right after and realized that now teams know what he's going to do, so we have to let him go.:slapfight:

wolf123
10-10-2012, 02:34 PM
Weakness

1. Limited Outside pressure from OLB

2. Vulnerable up the middle against the Run.

3. WR have been average at best.

4. Completely Rebuilt right OL that is inconsistent

5. Special Teams coverages

Every team has weakness and the Texans are no different. Our defense right now is JJ Watt. Without him we would be in much worse shape.

DocBar
10-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Where to start....

WR's can't seem to get open and the QB is as immobile as Kosar or Marino and lacking their intanibles. A mobile QB could've dismantled the Broncos and Jets. Mobile receivers, too.

Pass D will be exposed big time against GB and Ravens.

Short yardage O.

Offensive play calling becoming entirely predictable after the scripted plays.

kiwitexansfan
10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I'll keep banging the drum about special teams.

Don't trust our return game at all, seem to be constantly blocking in the back and now with new returners to get used to.... can't be good.

Don't trust Graham's leg strength or reliability when a game might hinge on him.

Foster's workload makes me think he'll be on fumes come the playoffs.

Obviously inside linebacker is an issue, making me think we'll play more nickle making us even more susceptible in the run game.

What happened to Joseph last week? I'll take it as a one off anomaly but colour me concerned, we need our shut down corner.

All that and still 5-0

powda
10-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Offensive play calling becoming entirely predictable after the scripted plays.

Yup! Can we go ahead and script 30-40 plays into the game?

b0ng
10-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Yup! Can we go ahead and script 30-40 plays into the game?

I've thought about this too especially after the Jets game where our first drive made them look absolutely clueless. I think the real divide with fans and Kubiaks playcalling come from when he has a lead and gets mondo conservative (Basically Martyball). It is frustrating to watch.

Texan_Bill
10-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Weaknesses?

My answer: Supposed loyal fans cynicism!

I understand that 5-0 (dripping in sarcasm) is not good enough, but DAYUM!!! Some of y'all are just straight up ridiculous with your criticism of this team....

Paraphrased quotes: "Matt Schaub has a weak arm", "Gary Kubiak is a terrible play caller" (Speaking to which) some people who questioned Kubiak's play calling near the end of the game as "too conservative"...... Really?? REALLY??? At least 30 out of 32 head coaches would've done the same thing. The hypothetical two coaches that didn't... Well, they would no longer be head coaches.

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Question of if the O can put the hammer down full throttle if they get into a true shoot out with a passing team like GB.

Question of our secondary able to cover the passing game with good passing QB.

Question of the Marciano factor.

Question of opposing RB being offered a red carpet through the middle of the DL.

Question of getting out of the RZ once in there.

Question of being able to pick up 3rd or 4th and 1 or 2 yds in cramped quarters.

Question of telling time.

powda
10-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I've thought about this too especially after the Jets game where our first drive made them look absolutely clueless. I think the real divide with fans and Kubiaks playcalling come from when he has a lead and gets mondo conservative (Basically Martyball). It is frustrating to watch.

Right on. You can always tell when the script runs out because theres a lull in the offense till they make in game adjustments. And sorry if we dont sound grateful bill. Just want to dominate the teams that have had a field day stomping us for the last decade. Kubiak is one of the best in the buisness.

Allstar
10-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm very concerned with our defense. I really hope we have a good showing against Rodgers.

steelbtexan
10-10-2012, 10:28 PM
1.Coach Joe
2. A WR that can win one on one against an above avg CB. Excluding AJ, he needs more help at this stage of his career.
3. Gary, he needs to sharpen his playcalling. Particularly in the RZ.
4. Shore up the interior run defense.

b0ng
10-10-2012, 10:51 PM
Question of if the O can put the hammer down full throttle if they get into a true shoot out with a passing team like GB. I've seen us in shoot-outs before and I am competent that we can hang with the better offensive teams in the league

Question of our secondary able to cover the passing game with good passing QB. With Joseph's groin issue this is a much bigger factor

Question of the Marciano factor. agreed special teams are abysmal this year

Question of opposing RB being offered a red carpet through the middle of the DL. With Cushing out it's definitely more of a concern, but Dobbins is a good run stopper. LB pass coverage I think is the bigger issue here

Question of getting out of the RZ once in there.

Question of being able to pick up 3rd or 4th and 1 or 2 yds in cramped quarters. I'm confident in this area but not supremely sure of success, I feel we can do well enough in this area that it's not a complete liability

Question of telling time.

Some counter thoughts in bold

Norg
10-11-2012, 04:22 AM
Well

ILB core now LOL

Quick II Draw
10-11-2012, 05:34 AM
OL- good as it gets
QB - great with decent backup
RB - great with great backup
WR - in trouble if AJ gets hurt
TE - playing great
DL - obviously great
OLB - good, sealing the edges amazingly
ILB - one-dimensional now that the only one who can play both pass and run well is injured
CB - good
S - good

ChrisG
10-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I see our biggest problems as the longevity of Foster. We used him alot this last week. I understand Tate was out but hopefully he will still have something in the tank come playoffs.

Also the predictibility of 3rd and long play calling. Every time it is either a screen or draw. Other teams seem to know this and line up to stop it every time. Case in point the first 3rd and long on Monday night Harris was right there ready to stop the screen