PDA

View Full Version : Replacement refs and the Texans....

corytx8
09-25-2012, 06:31 AM
One thing I have noticed about these refs and knowing how terrible they are. Our team need to understand when it comes to game time, do not put the game into the refs hands. If we win, win with at least 2 scores because these refs will screw somebody next and I hate for it to be us....

Rey
09-25-2012, 08:25 AM
We are not going to win by two or more scores every game. They just need to play the best they can and not think about the refs.

Thorn
09-25-2012, 08:31 AM
What worries me most about the clueless replacement refs is the calls the DON'T make. Players are going to get hurt if these refs don't make the calls right.

Now I'm not saying the regular refs are always right, because we know that's not the case. But the regular refs don't let the games get out of hand or allow the types of things to go on we've seen so far this season.

I wish the NFL would settle this crap soon.

El Tejano
09-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Eh...We've been getting screwed by the refs for years. To me, there's no difference. All the teams complaining are the ones that got nursed by the refs and NFL and of course the Harbaugh brothers.

b0ng
09-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Eh...We've been getting screwed by the refs for years. To me, there's no difference. All the teams complaining are the ones that got nursed by the refs and NFL and of course the Harbaugh brothers.

Confirmation bias. The product on the field is significantly worse with the replacement refs. The games are taking longer, it resembles amateur hour when they are telling which team got what penalty and how it will be enforced, timeouts and challenges have been a huge issue, and all sorts of weird crap is going on in way more games than what used to happen with the guys who had been reffing for a decade or two.

2012Champs
09-25-2012, 09:48 AM

Im not sure that the Texans have been getting screwed at any higher rate than the rest of the nfl maybe thats fan biased coming out in post but Im pretty sure fans tend to think their team gets the worst of it all.

TexanSam
09-25-2012, 10:03 AM
What worries me most about the clueless replacement refs is the calls the DON'T make. Players are going to get hurt if these refs don't make the calls right.

If this lockout drags on any longer, it's only a matter of time until a player gets seriously injured due to the replacement ref's incompetence. Goodell should shut his trap about player safety when it's obvious he's doesn't give a crap about it.

b0ng
09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Russell Wilson: The first QB to ever throw a game winning interception.

silentassassin
09-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Not worried.

Our team is built to avoid these situations. So far, they've been getting out to fast starts and stonewalling the other team for most of the game.

HJam72
09-25-2012, 11:11 AM
These refs are pandering to the crowds, probably subconsciously, and it will likely favor us @ home. Somebody could get hurt, though.

b0ng
09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
These refs are pandering to the crowds, probably subconsciously, and it will likely favor us @ home. Somebody could get hurt, though.

Yeah.

The Titans is probably that somebody.

TexanSam
09-25-2012, 11:15 AM

There was a good article about home field bias in sports about a year or two ago in either ESPN or Sports Illustrated and how it exists. If regular refs are influenced by it, I'm guessing it's 10X worse with the replacement refs. I'll try to find it during my lunch break.

HJam72
09-25-2012, 11:18 AM
There was a good article about home field bias in sports about a year or two ago in either ESPN or Sports Illustrated and how it exists. If regular refs are influenced by it, I'm guessing it's 10X worse with the replacement refs. I'll try to find it during my lunch break.

In TexanChicks latest blog, there is a link to another article stating that, yes, it has gotten emphatically worse with the replacement refs and home teams are winning a very high percentage of games right now. I posted the link in one of the threads yesterday--don't remember which one; maybe the main one complaining about the refts.

badboy
09-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Kubiak needs to tell players quit going off side; blocking in the back and grabbing or pushing a WR. I am much more concerned about our stupid penalties than the opponents. I understand new guys on Oline but there would not have been a Schaub beat down if the defensive players had been blocked. Real refs or "I can't believe it's not butter", flags were thrown.

nero THE zero
09-25-2012, 11:37 AM

They pander to the players as well, and I noticed that our players didn't take advantage of it in the Denver game.

The refs have been visibly moved when players make a scene. There were several times in the Denver game when our receivers felt they were interfered with, would throw their hands up after the play, but then let it go. They could have worked the refs and there was a good chance the refs would have thrown a flag in response.

I know it's probably the "wrong" thing to do, but they should have done it, nonetheless.

Thorn
09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
Russell Wilson: The first QB to ever throw a game winning interception.

New possession rule: to legally possess the ball after a catch, you need only catch the player catching the ball.

TexanSam
09-25-2012, 12:25 PM
After watching 3 weeks of the refs just screw up the game, I am not nearly as excited as I normally would be about Texans football or the NFL in general. Does anyone else feel this way? I'll still watch the game, but it'll become harder and harder to root with the same passion as before until this situation is resolved.

The Pencil Neck
09-25-2012, 01:35 PM
After watching 3 weeks of the refs just screw up the game, I am not nearly as excited as I normally would be about Texans football or the NFL in general. Does anyone else feel this way? I'll still watch the game, but it'll become harder and harder to root with the same passion as before until this situation is resolved.

No. I'll be rooting with the same passion and enthusiasm as with the real refs.

2012Champs
09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
No. I'll be rooting with the same passion and enthusiasm as with the real refs.

Same here. My anxiety might go up a little more but other than that I am unchanged

JPPT1974
09-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Really these refs need to go. Bring back the regular refs!

OilerTexan
09-25-2012, 05:32 PM

The refs have not affected my enjoyment.

The worst problems seem to be with pass interference and illegal contact/defensive holding. In the GB game, the PI was missed, but I don't feel that strongly about the TD vs interception call. After all, the pass was thrown, and the receiver ended up with the ball without it touching the ground.

TejasTom
09-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Just heard on 790 the real refs and the NFL have reached an agreement and should be on the field Sunday.

2012Champs
09-26-2012, 12:16 PM
Just heard on 790 the real refs and the NFL have reached an agreement and should be on the field Sunday.

that would be great but thats pretty soon to get them on the field

JamesBill
09-26-2012, 02:36 PM
These refs have been better in Texans games than last years.

TJ's "fumble", Watt's roughing the QB.....

Lurvinator11
09-26-2012, 02:44 PM
The replacement refs have been terrible.

But if we could leave Jerome Boger out, I would be ecstatic!

Terrible calls from his crew in Indy.

drs23
09-26-2012, 02:58 PM

Damn right about that. I hate to see his crew scheduled to call our games. Home or away. There are a couple others as well.

The Pencil Neck
09-26-2012, 04:50 PM

One of the issues the NFL has with the officials is that the NFL wants to "demote" guys who make bad calls.

Lurvinator11
09-26-2012, 05:00 PM
One of the issues the NFL has with the officials is that the NFL wants to "demote" guys who make bad calls.

I would actually enjoy that. Some guys need to be demoted after some of the calls they make.

Thorn
09-26-2012, 05:13 PM

So the refs are looking for insulation from their on the job mistakes. Hell, I'd like me some of that as well. LOL

The Pencil Neck
09-26-2012, 05:34 PM
So the refs are looking for insulation from their on the job mistakes. Hell, I'd like me some of that as well. LOL

A part time job that pays $150-200k has benefits and a pension AND you can't be penalized or demoted for screwing up.

Where do I sign?

Showtime100
09-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Ok, I see something coming that could only come to a Houston team.

Of course this might be the Houston fan in me coming out, but I see the scenario potential on the horizon.

I'm hearing ESPN whisper already that there should be an asterisk next to this season when all is said and done. Sounds to me like early sour grapes of some kind.

* 2012 Champion Texans

That would be the ultimate screwover by the refs (though not entirely their fault). I would hate to HAVE TO defend the legitimacy of a Houston Championship, no matter how bogus the charge, after waiting all my life for it. I did it with the NBA, I don't want to do it again.

Thorn
09-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Ok, I see something coming that could only come to a Houston team.

Of course this might be the Houston fan in me coming out, but I see the scenario potential on the horizon.

I'm hearing ESPN whisper already that there should be an asterisk next to this season when all is said and done. Sounds to me like early sour grapes of some kind.

* 2012 Champion Texans

That would be the ultimate screwover by the refs (though not entirely their fault). I would hate to HAVE TO defend the legitimacy of a Houston Championship, no matter how bogus the charge, after waiting all my life for it. I did it with the NBA, I don't want to do it again.

The Rockets have the trophies, and the rest of the NBA doesn't for those two years. I'll take the trophies and the asterisk any day of the week. And every football fan of every team in the NFL would do the same. The difference being, 31 teams will call out the asterisk if they are the ones that don't have it. :lol:

Showtime100
09-26-2012, 06:41 PM
The Rockets have the trophies, and the rest of the NBA doesn't for those two years. I'll take the trophies and the asterisk any day of the week. And every football fan of every team in the NFL would do the same. The difference being, 31 teams will call out the asterisk if they are the ones that don't have it. :lol:

True! But I want my Championship and no asterisk too.

Just a thought and I typed. Gimme the Super Bowl win no matter the year, of course. Any NFL fan would.

:barman:

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Won't be worrying about the replacement refs anymore................THE DEAL IS DONE! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2022815&postcount=33)

Rey
09-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I read somewhere that the regs probably wouldn't be back until after this Sunday.

Since they won't be doing the Thursday game it would seem unfair that two teams get replacement refs one game more than everyone else.

But I dunno... It's the NFL...fair, smair...

The Pencil Neck
09-27-2012, 01:07 AM
I read somewhere that the regs probably wouldn't be back until after this Sunday.

Since they won't be doing the Thursday game it would seem unfair that two teams get replacement refs one game more than everyone else.

But I dunno... It's the NFL...fair, smair...

On Inside The NFL, they were saying the regular refs ARE going to field a team for the Thursday night game. Hochuli has been holding weekly conference calls keeping the refs up on the rules changes and discussing/teaching to make sure everyone's still up to speed.

G27RR
09-27-2012, 09:22 AM
There is a technically temporary end to the lockout to allow the refs for tonight's game. A formal vote by the NFLRA will officially end the whole thing during the ref meetings and training sessions the next couple days. I believe the new contract is for eight years, the longest with the refs ever, and it officially starts after the formal vote. All refs will be in place for all games going forward.

Glad it's over!