PDA

View Full Version : Lestar Jean Having a Knee Scope

HOU-TEX
09-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Expected to be out a week or two. Here's your chance, Posey

Mark Berman‏@MarkBermanFox26

Gary Kubiak says WR Lestar Jean has a "meniscus issue" and will get a scope on Tuesday. Definitely out for this week's against Titans.

Demps had surgery on his thumb, but is expected to play with a cast

gtexan02
09-24-2012, 03:43 PM
That sucks, i was beginning to like his big play ability

disaacks3
09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
%$%$#%^@%^ PANIC!! PANIC!!!

Nah, not really, get him rested up for the stretch run.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
That sucks, i was beginning to like his big play ability

He shouldn't be out long. Probably as long as it takes for the incisions to heal

NastyNate
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Expected to be out a week or two. Here's your chance, Posey

Demps had surgery on his thumb, but is expected to play with a cast

Damn, he looked good and helped keep AJ's workload moderate. As for Demps, here's hoping he goes all Glover Quin with a 3 pick game after his broken hand.

CloakNNNdagger
09-24-2012, 03:57 PM
He shouldn't be out long. Probably as long as it takes for the incisions to heal

Depending on the area involved, the extent of involvement and whether the torn piece is repaired or removed, running can begin as soon as 1 week, but would be more typically not until 10-14 days. A return to play could on occasion be within 2 weeks. More likely it will be 3-4 weeks.

Rudyball
09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Sucks - but if we are going to have injuries I want them to be these 1 - 2 week ones.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Depending on the area involved, the extent of involvement and whether the torn piece is repaired or removed, running can begin as soon as 1 week, but would be more typically not until 10-14 days. A return to play could on occasion be within 2 weeks. More likely it will be 3-4 weeks.

Yeah, I'm guessing closer to 2-3 weeks. A lot of it might have to do with how Posey performs too

Dutchrudder
09-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Losing him for the Titans and Jets (without Revis) should be fine, but we need him Sunday night against the Packers and the next week against the Ravens.

Hope he heals up quick, and gets back to practice soon, although I'm glad to hear it's nothing severe.

Jackie Chiles
09-24-2012, 04:11 PM
That is unfortunate. Seems like good things happen when the ball gets thrown his way. Martin made a couple nice plays yesterday as well so hopefully we don't miss a beat.

TejasTom
09-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Damn, he looked good and helped keep AJ's workload moderate. As for Demps, here's hoping he goes all Glover Quin with a 3 pick game after his broken hand.

Q's pick were against Titans, sfo maybe history will repeat itself.

Hope Jean had a speedy recovery.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

Allstar
09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Watch Posey pull a Victor Cruz.

TexCanada
09-24-2012, 04:29 PM
That's too bad. I was hoping his role would increase each week as he gets more comfortable. Hopefully this doesn't set him back too far.

GuerillaBlack
09-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Watch Posey pull a Victor Cruz.

I have been saying that since we drafted him. He reminds me of Cruz.

Texn4life
09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Well this sucks! Maybe Doc can give us an estimate on about how much time he'll be out.

Second-year receiver Lestar Jean, who caught a 46-yard pass against the Broncos, will undergo arthroscopic knee surgery to repair torn cartilage and will miss Sunday’s game against Tennessee at Reliant Stadium. Jean’s absence means rookie DeVier Posey could be active for the first time.

Kubiak: Texans have ‘ton of mistakes to correct’; Jean to have surgery (http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/kubiak-texans-have-ton-of-mistakes-to-correct-jean-to-have-surgery/)

Sorry, just saw the other thread. Mods please Merge.

GP
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
No way.

Hopefully a slight cleanup on aisle 9, a routine procedure and he's back in a week or two.

Posey, you're up.

Bleed_Blu_Red
09-24-2012, 08:02 PM
I just read about this on the chronicle this sucks hopefully Posey can step up and most of all Martin play consistently.

76Texan
09-24-2012, 10:42 PM

Can you elaborate a litlle more, Doc?

CloakNNNdagger
09-25-2012, 09:39 AM

Specifically on what part?

badboy
09-25-2012, 10:02 AM
I saw the 46 yd catch, anyone know how many snaps he was on field for?

417Texan
09-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Injuries stink but hell Texans will be fine. Someone always steps up on this roster.

Carr Bombed
09-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Injuries stink but hell Texans will be fine. Someone always steps up on this roster.

There are 5 players who have to stay healthy in my opinion.

Schaub
Watt
Joseph
Brown
and since now Jean is banged up, Johnson.. I might even add Cushing to this list.

We have quality depth everywhere else. I just don't feel like testing it again.

Playoffs
09-26-2012, 08:04 AM
HoustonTexans @houstontexans
Kubiak: S Quintin Demps had thumb surgery. WR Lestar Jean has meniscus issue will have surgery tomorrow. He'll miss a wk, but be back soon.

Texans put a short clock on a return, Dr. CND gives his opinion -- 99 64/100% of the time, Dr. CND is correct. http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/gif/cc13519b5b639caf9c39f7a083ff7fb9f8aaf06_s.gif

getball2dre
09-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Next man up. Let's see what Posey can do when the Regular season lights are on.

76Texan
09-26-2012, 09:44 AM

Yeah, I'm guessing closer to 2-3 weeks. A lot of it might have to do with how Posey performs too

Specifically on what part?

Basically, I was wondering about the "more likely 3-4 weeks" part.

What is the extent of the injury and what kind of procedure Jean went through that prompted your educated guess of 3 to 4 weeks.

Just wondering, that's all.

ObsiWan
09-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Texans put a short clock on a return, Dr. CND gives his opinion -- 99 64/100% of the time, Dr. CND is correct. http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/gif/cc13519b5b639caf9c39f7a083ff7fb9f8aaf06_s.gif

And here's one of the Texans' crack medical staff providing their "crackerjack" diagnosis techniques...

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/co/2012/co120926.gif (http://www.mycomicspage.com/cornered/2012/09/26/)

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Basically, I was wondering about the "more likely 3-4 weeks" part.

What is the extent of the injury and what kind of procedure Jean went through that prompted your educated guess of 3 to 4 weeks.

Just wondering, that's all.

From the sounds of it, the doctors are not expecting to find a meniscus tear that requires REPAIR since this would require rehab and return to play measure more in terms of months.

So we are left with the impression (by the "short recovery" implication) the tear is a relatively small tear. If surgery findings confirm only a very small loose piece of meniscus being involved, it can be removed so that it does not cause additional cartilage damage through abrasive surface damage. Recovery can possibly be 1-2 weeks. If they go in there and find additional trauma that is not totally appropriate to simple excision but is not amenable to surgery, like in the middle portion of the meniscus which has no blood supply (referred to as the white zone, vs the red zone that has good blood supply-See figure below), or even a sprained knee ligament (which not uncommonly can be associated with the meniscus tear), the recovery time can by these factors alone easily be prolonged to 3-4 weeks anyway.

Furthermore, in this particular case, the Texans are not in a position where the return to play by one additional week or so would be absolutely critical. We don't know what the term "meniscus issue" really means.....hopefully it is indeed only a tiny piece of loose meniscus that happened recently (not one that was been allowed to move around loosely for a long time thus scraping other structures and creating more cartilage damage), and one with no accompanying significant trauma. If they didn't know prior to the scope, they will now. But we may not, except by extrapolation of how the recovery goes.

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/media/medical/hw/h9991517_001.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 02:37 PM
And here's one of the Texans' crack medical staff providing their "crackerjack" diagnosis techniques...

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/co/2012/co120926.gif (http://www.mycomicspage.com/cornered/2012/09/26/)

How did you manage to sneak a camera into one of my consult rooms?:bat:

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 10:01 PM
KUBIAK: (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Wednesday-practice/ce7add71-b04b-4ecf-ab12-0727dbebb440)

(on WR Lestar Jean) Im sorry. Yeah, (WR) Lestar (Jean) is totally out. Theyre telling us two weeks. He had the surgery and he was back in here. Hes fine and looks good. He was in here for treatment an hour after surgery. Hes up and around, doing good today. Hes a 100 percent committed to treatment right now. He goes to the afternoon meetings and were hoping that maybe well pull this off like we did with (FB James) Casey a few years ago. James had the same thing done and actually made it back in two weeks, so well see.

76Texan
09-26-2012, 10:18 PM
From the sounds of it, the doctors are not expecting to find a meniscus tear that requires REPAIR since this would require rehab and return to play measure more in terms of months.

So we are left with the impression (by the "short recovery" implication) the tear is a relatively small tear. If surgery findings confirm only a very small loose piece of meniscus being involved, it can be removed so that it does not cause additional cartilage damage through abrasive surface damage. Recovery can possibly be 1-2 weeks. If they go in there and find additional trauma that is not totally appropriate to simple excision but is not amenable to surgery, like in the middle portion of the meniscus which has no blood supply (referred to as the white zone, vs the red zone that has good blood supply-See figure below), or even a sprained knee ligament (which not uncommonly can be associated with the meniscus tear), the recovery time can by these factors alone easily be prolonged to 3-4 weeks anyway.

Furthermore, in this particular case, the Texans are not in a position where the return to play by one additional week or so would be absolutely critical. We don't know what the term "meniscus issue" really means.....hopefully it is indeed only a tiny piece of loose meniscus that happened recently (not one that was been allowed to move around loosely for a long time thus scraping other structures and creating more cartilage damage), and one with no accompanying significant trauma. If they didn't know prior to the scope, they will now. But we may not, except by extrapolation of how the recovery goes.

http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/media/medical/hw/h9991517_001.jpg

Sounds perfectly like Dutch or German to me, but thank you nonetheless! :fostering:

In layman term, when Kubiak said Jean is up and around, what can we take it as?

Brisco_County
09-26-2012, 10:29 PM

Thanks, doc. I love reading these. It would be boring from a book, but it's interesting when it relates to your football team.

Brisco_County
09-26-2012, 10:34 PM
There are 5 players who have to stay healthy in my opinion.

Schaub
Watt
Joseph
Brown
and since now Jean is banged up, Johnson.. I might even add Cushing to this list.

We have quality depth everywhere else. I just don't feel like testing it again.

I agree with this list. Watt seems to single-handedly take over an entire game. Cushing is kind of that way, but I feel like he has lost a small bit of confidence without DeMeco on the field.

76Texan
09-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree with this list. Watt seems to single-handedly take over an entire game. Cushing is kind of that way, but I feel like he has lost a small bit of confidence without DeMeco on the field.

I think I'd like to revisit this a few games later.

It looks to me like Wade is using Cushing (both ILBs, actually) a little bit differently than last year.
I'd like to have a few more games to study the differences.

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Sounds perfectly like Dutch or German to me, but thank you nonetheless! :fostering:

In layman term, when Kubiak said Jean is up and around, what can we take it as?

We can take that he had no meniscus REPAIR. If it was a meniscus tear, a piece of the meniscus was arthroscopically REMOVED. With the former, he would not be up and around this soon. With the latter, he would be allowed to begin walking almost immediately. Again, he could be back based on medical status as soon as 1-2 weeks from the surgery if everything goes perfectly, to 3-4 weeks depending on how he responds postop and if there was any additional damage encountered or sprained ligament(s) involved. Can't clarify it any further with the information available. And, even if all information was available, the possibility of prolongation of recovery due to healing problems can never be entirely ruled out.

76Texan
09-26-2012, 10:57 PM
We can take that he had no meniscus REPAIR. If it was a meniscus tear, a piece of the meniscus was arthroscopically REMOVED. With the former, he would not be up and around this soon. With the latter, he would be allowed to begin walking almost immediately. Again, he could be back based on medical status as soon as 1-2 weeks from the surgery if everything goes perfectly, to 3-4 weeks depending on how he responds postop and if there was any additional damage encountered or sprained ligament(s) involved. Can't clarify it any further with the information available. And, even if all information was available, the possibility of prolongation of recovery due to healing problems can never be entirely ruled out.

What I wonder is that Kubiak sounds hopeful that Jean will be back in short order like Casey, but how much medical knowledge has he truly acquired throughout the years?

Is this kind of procedure common enough in football for a HC like Kubiak to be somewhat authoritative in his assessment after he learned every news from the pros?

kiwitexansfan
09-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Excited to see some Posey play time.

For some reason I saw this thread and thought to myself "I used to be wide receiver too, then I took an arrow to the knee."

CloakNNNdagger
09-26-2012, 11:12 PM
What I wonder is that Kubiak sounds hopeful that Jean will be back in short order like Casey, but how much medical knowledge has he truly acquired throughout the years?

Is this kind of procedure common enough in football for a HC like Kubiak to be somewhat authoritative in his assessment after he learned every news from the pros?

Meniscus tear is a very common NFL player injury. Though, they may have a good idea of when he can return, he and his medical consultants are not likely to bet their lives on more specific reliable predictions than what I just posted. Each injury/player can see some variability in ability to return for what might seem to be similar injuries. Sort of like, even though he may have vast experience replacing tires on his car, he is as likely to exactly predict within three thousand miles of wear how long it will be until he will again need to replace them.

76Texan
09-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Meniscus tear is a very common NFL player injury. Though, they may have a good idea of when he can return, he and his medical consultants are not likely to bet their lives on more specific reliable predictions than what I just posted. Each injury/player can see some variability in ability to return for what might seem to be similar injuries. Sort of like, even though he may have vast experience replacing tires on his car, he is as likely to exactly predict within three thousand miles of wear how long it will be until he will again need to replace them.
I thought science would be a little more exact than that, LOL!

Thanks, Doc.

It's probably a fair bet for a 4-week return then?

Most importantly, once you replace the tire, the car can still run well ???

Brisco_County
09-26-2012, 11:28 PM
I think I'd like to revisit this a few games later.

It looks to me like Wade is using Cushing (both ILBs, actually) a little bit differently than last year.
I'd like to have a few more games to study the differences.

It's something I hope I'm wrong about, but their relationship was tight. I do agree that Cush will improve after more experience on the weak side.

76Texan
09-26-2012, 11:41 PM
It's something I hope I'm wrong about, but their relationship was tight. I do agree that Cush will improve after more experience on the weak side.

No, I think you are right.
It looks to me like they have been playing Cushing more on the weak side.
But he did play plenty on the weak side last year.
I think how he attacks the play at that same WILB position (and at the same time how the SILB attacks the play) is different from last year.

Not all the times, but there are differences.

I remember recounting Cushing overplaying his gap assignments at least 3 times in the first game.

Like I said, I think it's quite different how Wade use the 2 ILBs this year to the last.

I guess we can expect additional changes as Wade implements more of his scheme.

It's getting better though.

Look at how we stop the running game from game one to game three.

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2012, 09:06 AM
I thought science would be a little more exact than that, LOL!

Thanks, Doc.

It's probably a fair bet for a 4-week return then?

Most importantly, once you replace the tire, the car can still run well ???

Usually.........as long as the rims aren't bent......and, of course, if the engine and the rest of the car was OK before you started messing with the tires. :)

http://rojosonfacebooknotes.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/medicine-is-not-an-exact-science.jpg?w=640&h=480&h=480
In medicine, exact explanation of causes of diseases, concise diagnosis and absolute predictability of outcome of treatment are difficult, if not impossible!

badboy
09-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Doctor Kenneth First from 610's Nick & Lopez thru CBS Houston audio:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/09/27/how-long-will-lestar-jean-be-out-after-knee-surgery/

Bulls on Parade
09-27-2012, 09:39 AM
I hope Lestar Jean is back for the Packers game. We shouldn't need him to beat the Titans and Darelle Revis-less Jets the next two games. He's come a long way and I honestly feel he has potential to be the future number two over Kevin Walter.

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2012, 06:38 PM
KUBIAK: (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Wednesday-practice/ce7add71-b04b-4ecf-ab12-0727dbebb440)

(on WR Lestar Jean) “I’m sorry. Yeah, (WR) Lestar (Jean) is totally out. They’re telling us two weeks. He had the surgery and he was back in here. He’s fine and looks good. He was in here for treatment an hour after surgery. He’s up and around, doing good today. He’s a 100 percent committed to treatment right now. He goes to the afternoon meetings and we’re hoping that maybe we’ll pull this off like we did with (FB James) Casey a few years ago. James had the same thing done and actually made it back in two weeks, so we’ll see.”

I don't think that Kubiak made this statement trying to be disingenuous......However, his statement is somewhat misleading. Casey's scope was performed Monday November 2, 2009, following the Sunday Bills game. He missed the Colts November 8 game. The Texans then enjoyed their Bye Week, September 15. Casey then returned for the later than usual MNF game with the Titans on September 23. Therefore, he was able to ctually return for game play exactly 21 days (3 weeks) following his scope.

HOU-TEX
10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Jean practiced today and is expected to play Sunday night.

Nick Scurfield‏@NickScurfield

WR Lestar Jean (knee) practiced & should be ready to play this week. S Quintin Demps (forearm) did not practice #Texans

Texn4life
10-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Jean practiced today and is expected to play Sunday night.

Great news....... I think we missed him on Monday.

Perki-Perk
10-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't think that Kubiak made this statement trying to be disingenuous......However, his statement is somewhat misleading. Casey's scope was performed Monday November 2, 2009, following the Sunday Bills game. He missed the Colts November 8 game. The Texans then enjoyed their Bye Week, September 15. Casey then returned for the later than usual MNF game with the Titans on September 23. Therefore, he was able to ctually return for game play exactly 21 days (3 weeks) following his scope.

The question, with all due respect, Doc, I think would be when he started participating in full practices and I think that would give us a little better understanding of the time frame.

Perki-Perk
10-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Great news....... I think we missed him on Monday.

Great news indeed!

badboy
10-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Now if he could only play LB

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2012, 03:32 PM
The question, with all due respect, Doc, I think would be when he started participating in full practices and I think that would give us a little better understanding of the time frame.

I'll try to present the facts in line with your request.

Casey's scope was November 2 and he returned to full practice (a true full contact Thursday) on November 19, 4 days prior to his return game on November 23. From time of scope to playing in a game was ~3 weeks. (NOTE: In my previous post, I accidentally typed September 19 and September 23, instead of November 19 and November 23).

Jean's scope was September 25 and has returned to "full" (non-contact) practice 4 days prior to his return game on October 14. True full practice technically will not occur until tomorrow.) From time of scope to playing in a game (if he plays Sunday) will be ~3 weeks.

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2012, 05:41 PM
On our only full contact day, Jean had limited participation.

ObsiWan
10-11-2012, 06:01 PM
I'll try to present the facts in line with your request.

Casey's scope was November 2 and he returned to full practice (a true full contact Thursday) on November 19, 4 days prior to his return game on November 23. From time of scope to playing in a game was ~3 weeks. (NOTE: In my previous post, I accidentally typed September 19 and September 23, instead of November 19 and November 23).

Jean's scope was September 25 and has returned to "full" (non-contact) practice 4 days prior to his return game on October 14. True full practice technically will not occur until tomorrow.) From time of scope to playing in a game (if he plays Sunday) will be ~3 weeks.

On our only full contact day, Jean had limited participation.

Thanks for the update. Sounds encouraging.
:cow: :cow::cow::cow:<--- Bulls on Parade :D

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the update. Sounds encouraging.
:cow: :cow::cow::cow:<--- Bulls on Parade :D

I think so. But, without a full contact practice prior to game return, it may not be a clear sign that he will return THIS Sunday. We'll just have to see.