PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak is who he is

gtexan02
09-24-2012, 01:50 PM
One of the things I've read on the boards over and over again is that fans would like to see us get up early on an opponent and then really step on their throats to finish the game. Go up by 20 by halftime? Make it 40 by the end.

While I would love to see that style from time to time as well, its important to remember that our head coach is Gary Kubiak. Thats not his style. He plays for a lead and then plays to protect that lead.

There are arguments to be made on both sides of this idea -- whether its better to keep your food on the gas pedal or better to eat the clock and "go turtle." But saying that our team is a failure for doing the latter is not accurate. We play the game our coach wants to play. We aren't going to blow teams out by 40 points. We aren't going to score 40+ very often. We have a good defense and he trusts that defense.

In yesterday's game there was a point where we were in 3rd and 10+. I think it was 12. I told my friends that there was a 100% chance of a run or a WR screen. And guess what? WR screen for 4 yards.

Thats the type of plays Kubiak calls when he's ahead. He's not going to risk a turnover when the other team is in scoring position. Instead of being frustrated and thinking that we failed to collect a 3rd down conversion, its important to know "Thats what Kubiak expected to happen, and he's ok with it"

Thats our identity. We play for the lead, and then rely on our run game and superior defense to protect it. Stop thinking of 4th quarters where the other team scores and we don't as failures. We aren't changing, and right now we're 3-0

Marcus
09-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh Lord . . . please tell me this isn't going to be one of those "we're winning despite Kubiak" threads.

Jackie Chiles
09-24-2012, 01:57 PM
For the most part the system works. Get a lead, lean on the running game and D to seal it. If Ben doesn't have that costly fumble it looks a lot better yesterday. I would say that you might be selling Gary a little short there. I think he is still and will always be evolving as a head coach. If he needs to change it up a bit to get the job done I think he will. So far there has not been a need to. I trust him and our entire coaching staff.

gtexan02
09-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Oh Lord . . . please tell me this isn't going to be one of those "we're winning despite Kubiak" threads.

No way, I love me some Kubiak. I just think its funny that people want him to coach in a way that isn't his coaching style.

We're 3-0. I don't need to see 40 point blowouts to be convinced we're the #1 team in the NFL. A W is a W

Thorn
09-24-2012, 02:10 PM

We're winning despite Kubiak. :whip:

Double Barrel
09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
We are 3-0 for the first time in history. I don't care how we got there, just that we are there.

Now let's see another 16 like it! :texflag:

HOU-TEX
09-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Incompletions stop the clock, runs do not. For me, it's as simple as that. I would've done the same thing in the 4th quarter yesterday. "You play to win the game" (thanks Herm)

Tate's fumble, defense gives up a couple big plays and a bogus call on KJ kept this from being a 20 point blowout. Kubiak couldn't do much about those

Mr teX
09-24-2012, 02:30 PM
The reality of it is, your opponents are professional athletes and they'll make a few plays too......even if you're vastly superior.

You only really see 20 & 30 pt. blowouts at the very very beginning of the season when starters 1st play a full game together, or at the end of the season when teams that are out of it have given up or are sitting starters.

Most teams however, do exactly what he does..keep running the ball (throwing only when they need to keep the chains moving) to keep running the clock so as to get out of there as fast & as injury free as possible.

So i don't put that on the coach, It's more on the players; they expect their opponents to submit & they lose focus. If anything, the coach is usually the guy trying to keep the players focused.

badboy
09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
One of the things I've read on the boards over and over again is that fans would like to see us get up early on an opponent and then really step on their throats to finish the game. Go up by 20 by halftime? Make it 40 by the end.

While I would love to see that style from time to time as well, its important to remember that our head coach is Gary Kubiak. Thats not his style. He plays for a lead and then plays to protect that lead.

There are arguments to be made on both sides of this idea -- whether its better to keep your food on the gas pedal or better to eat the clock and "go turtle." But saying that our team is a failure for doing the latter is not accurate. We play the game our coach wants to play. We aren't going to blow teams out by 40 points. We aren't going to score 40+ very often. We have a good defense and he trusts that defense.

In yesterday's game there was a point where we were in 3rd and 10+. I think it was 12. I told my friends that there was a 100% chance of a run or a WR screen. And guess what? WR screen for 4 yards.

Thats the type of plays Kubiak calls when he's ahead. He's not going to risk a turnover when the other team is in scoring position. Instead of being frustrated and thinking that we failed to collect a 3rd down conversion, its important to know "Thats what Kubiak expected to happen, and he's ok with it"

Thats our identity. We play for the lead, and then rely on our run game and superior defense to protect it. Stop thinking of 4th quarters where the other team scores and we don't as failures. We aren't changing, and right now we're 3-0The problem with Gary's philosophy is teams can come back on you and most teams including Texans will have "down times" for whatever reason and make bad plays. 20 point leads can become 6 with ball in opponents' hands. If it is last quarter and we have 20 point lead, then sit on it. I am not talking about rubbing dirt in other's face but playing football 100% until whistle blows. If you feel comfortable with 20 then bring in some back ups for experience rather than letting your starting QB get pounded. Yates could have taken more than one snap and allowed Matt some rest.

utahmark
09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Wr screen's and running play's on 3rd and long has nothing to do with Gary trying to protect a lead. We are a balanced team that does very well when we can either run or pass but when we are forced to do one or the other we have a more difficult time. This team was not built to sit back and throw the ball. We use play action or have Matt role out on bootleg's a majority of our passing plays.

Our line is built to zone block. Matt isnt very mobile. 3rd and long is not one of our strong points. Luckily we don't get into that position very often.

DerekLee1
09-24-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't know what game you were watching, but with a 20-point lead in the 3rd, on that play where Schaub lost a chunk of his ear, he was throwing deep to Andre. Gary doesn't change his offensive game plan regardless of the lead. Hell, we run it a ton when we DON'T have a big lead, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we're going to run it WITH a big lead. 8-man fronts? We're running the ball. 3-man fronts in dime packages? We're running the ball. The offense is built on play actions from sucking defenses in because they're afraid we're going to run it. It's what we do. 3rd and 8? He's not afraid to run it. 4th and inches? Not afraid to throw it. It's total confidence that your offense is going to get yards no matter what play you call. THAT is Kubiak's "style".

gary
09-24-2012, 02:50 PM
Houston took shots down the field in the second half but did not convert them.

tedr
09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't know what game you were watching, but with a 20-point lead in the 3rd, on that play where Schaub lost a chunk of his ear, he was throwing deep to Andre. Gary doesn't change his offensive game plan regardless of the lead. Hell, we run it a ton when we DON'T have a big lead, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that we're going to run it WITH a big lead. 8-man fronts? We're running the ball. 3-man fronts in dime packages? We're running the ball. The offense is built on play actions from sucking defenses in because they're afraid we're going to run it. It's what we do. 3rd and 8? He's not afraid to run it. 4th and inches? Not afraid to throw it. It's total confidence that your offense is going to get yards no matter what play you call. THAT is Kubiak's "style".

I believe we just had a 10-point lead on the "ear" play, but I agree with your overall point...Kubes wants to run the ball, and unless we're down by 20 or so points in the 2nd half, that's going to be the first option.

GP
09-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Somewhat agree with OP.

My issue is that what happens when it's the Super Bowl, Texans are up 35 to 17 at half....Kubiak plays it a tad safe, per his style, and the opposing team rattles off a TD at start of 3rd quarter?

Gary tries to gear up, but we go 3 & out...opposing team gets a FG.

Now we're up 8. Things stall, other team gets hot...we're losing momentum.

No lead is safe, so you have to score as much as you can to help ensure the opponent cannot score enough to catch up.

#88 should have a TD yesterday but he was slow on the route break at the goal line. He also almost had another TD but failed to drag his second foot inside the end zone.

Folks, #88 sort of blew it for the Broncos....and that means Gary should have been looking at a score deficit NOT a surplus. We gotta learn how to keep scoring TDs. Period.

badboy
09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Somewhat agree with OP.

My issue is that what happens when it's the Super Bowl, Texans are up 35 to 17 at half....Kubiak plays it a tad safe, per his style, and the opposing team rattles off a TD at start of 3rd quarter?

No lead is safe, so you have to score as much as you can to help ensure the opponent cannot score enough to catch up.

#88 should have a TD yesterday but he was slow on the route break at the goal line. He also almost had another TD but failed to drag his second foot inside the end zone.

Folks, #88 sort of blew it for the Broncos....and that means Gary should have been looking at a score deficit NOT a surplus. We gotta learn how to keep scoring TDs. Period.This is my POV

mokalus
09-24-2012, 03:35 PM
If I really had to nitpick at a Kubiak playcall from yesterday's game, it would be the play-action on the first play of the game when we were on the 6-yard line. I was a bit afraid of it before the play happened, since it seems like Kubiak loves to start games with play-action, but safety or not, a win is a win. Terrific overall game yesterday even if we dropped some INTs.

The Pencil Neck
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
If I really had to nitpick at a Kubiak playcall from yesterday's game, it would be the play-action on the first play of the game when we were on the 6-yard line. I was a bit afraid of it before the play happened, since it seems like Kubiak loves to start games with play-action, but safety or not, a win is a win. Terrific overall game yesterday even if we dropped some INTs.

If he runs the ball there, people would cry that he's too conservative.

WRT the public, Kubes is in a no-win situation. Not that he cares what we think about his play-calling. He's calling plays trying to win and he's got his strategies that he follows to do that.

Texan_Bill
09-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Incompletions stop the clock, runs do not. For me, it's as simple as that. I would've done the same thing in the 4th quarter yesterday. "You play to win the game" (thanks Herm)

So would 31 other coaches especially if they were blessed with the running attack that we have. If not, the other coaches that dont, will realize what the NFL stands for... Not For Long.

Texecutioner
09-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Somewhat agree with OP.

Folks, #88 sort of blew it for the Broncos....and that means Gary should have been looking at a score deficit NOT a surplus. We gotta learn how to keep scoring TDs. Period.

Tried to rep ya, but the system wouldn't allow. Agree 100%.

Wolf
09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1432956&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/1432956/ryan-punches-gilbride.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)

guess if memory serves. this is what happens when you pass pass pass then punt and make the defense get back on the field :spin:

dtran04
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
I thought they still took some shots. AJ dropped the TD and also that long one that hit his facemask.

If he converts those, the Texans all of a sudden had "killer instinct".

Norg
09-24-2012, 05:00 PM
well hes finally above .500 hes a winning COACH !!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Corrosion
09-24-2012, 05:49 PM
I thought they still took some shots. AJ dropped the TD and also that long one that hit his facemask.

If he converts those, the Texans all of a sudden had "killer instinct".

Yep , they took some shots even up 20. They just didnt turn into points like the earlier instances.

They didnt take their foot off the throttle.

infantrycak
09-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Yep , they took some shots even up 20. They just didnt turn into points like the earlier instances.

That was my impression as well (along with Schaub throwing into some very tight coverage - Bailey was right on top of AJ on the drop in the endzone).

GlassHalfFull
09-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Yep, there are people who like to form an opinion and encase it in concrete. Reality need not apply.

We even have posters still flying Fire Kubiak soap as avatars.

:kubepalm:

Double Barrel
09-24-2012, 05:59 PM
We also cannot forget that the Broncos have a solid defense, Peyton Manning, and an high altitude that was obviously having an effect on our defensive players.

Much props to the Texans for staying strong and winning it. That would probably have been a lead that we lost a few years ago. This is clearly a new Texans team that has a whole bunch of attitude and confidence that we are not used to seeing as Texans fans.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
We are 3-0 and I'm not complaining nor questioning our coaching staff. As long as we are putting up W and ultimately win SB, doesn't matter how we play or scheme it.

Go Texans!!!

TexansFanatic
09-24-2012, 06:04 PM
guess if memory serves. this is what happens when you pass pass pass then punt and make the defense get back on the field :spin:

Awesome. God bless Buddy Ryan.

steelbtexan
09-24-2012, 06:06 PM
I have no problem with Garys strategy this game. Even though I would have run the ball all 3 times with a 13 point lead 8 mins to play.

The only bad error was on the last drive was that AJ stepped out of bounds after his 1st down catch, stopping the clock. That was what allowed Peyton to get the ball back one last time. But that's just nitpicking.

Fans have to expect Peyton to makea comeback. It's what he does. BTW, hopefully Foster is in the game next time the Texans are killing the clock. Even though Foster has had fumbling issues of his own.

Corrosion
09-24-2012, 06:07 PM
That was my impression as well (along with Schaub throwing into some very tight coverage - Bailey was right on top of AJ on the drop in the endzone).

That was about as well as you can cover and about as perfect as a ball can be thrown .... I think Bailey knocked it out with his foot as he tumbled after contact.

Yep, there are people who like to form an opinion and encase it in concrete. Reality need not apply.

:kubepalm:

Its hard for me to fathom how they can still want Gary run out of town after the job this staff did after Schaub went down last season .... Winning a playoff game and playing another to the final minute with a 5th round rookie 3rd string QB running the show ....

Hell , he could probably win a :trophy: or two and that group will still want him gone ....

Double Barrel
09-24-2012, 06:11 PM

At this point, they are either questionable in their fandom as Texans fans and/or they ride the short bus.

It baffles me that someone could be anything but excited at this point in Texans history. We've waited a long time for this to come, and I'll be damned if some mouth-breather tries to steal that joy from us.

Goldensilence
09-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Peyton's done many teams dirty late including that insane 4th quarter vs Tampa.

No team is safe until that clock hits 00 on him.

The early lead and keep it only now works with a solid defense, which we've finally got now. Earlier criticisms of that style were warranted, but also saw signs that even with a large lead they were willing to take shots, not the kind that make me say man this team has is willing to put a foot on an opponents throat necessarily. But, enough to keep them off balance.

infantrycak
09-24-2012, 06:13 PM
That was about as well as you can cover and about as perfect as a ball can be thrown .... I think Bailey knocked it out with his foot as he tumbled after contact.

How about the perfectly in stride passes to AJ and Walter? - so much for never.

Have to look back - I was thinking right hand as he was falling.

TimeKiller
09-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Well, he coached them to kick the snot out of the Broncos and then he coached them to kick the snot out of the clock. When it came down to it, even the great Peyton Manning couldn't come up with enough plays before TIME ran out.

I call that a win. On the road. 3-0 for the first time. Relying on Foster and this D isn't exactly a brain surgeon's strategy.

rolyat93
09-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Some people just have to complain about something.

GP
09-24-2012, 07:01 PM
I think SecondHoneymoon is the only Fire Kubiak! guy who still sports the soap.

So why create an issue, Corrosion and GlassHalfFull, when there isn't one? Have I missed the posts lately where people have a pink soap avatar? I sure haven't seen any. SH hasn't posted here in ages.

I don't get how people can invent something in the middle of a thread that doesn't even apply. LOL.

People flew the pink soap until about week 1 or 2 of last year, then it was apparent that Gary's job was safe for a verrry long time.

Nobody here is asking for his head. But he does tend to sort of become a bit conservative when he has a comfy lead. Yesterday was the first time I can recall Schaub really going downfield late in a game with a comfy lead. But previously? I don't recall those types of downfield shots like the ones to LeStar and Dre.

Texan_Bill
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1432956&t=o (http://gifsoup.com/view/1432956/ryan-punches-gilbride.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com/)

HA!! The punch coming from someone who went completely conservative in his defensive play calls in a playoff game v. Kansas City and an aging Montana.

Texan_Bill
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
Some people just have to complain about something.

Meh!! That's par for the course 'round these parts! :cowboy1:

ObsiWan
09-24-2012, 07:05 PM

So why create an issue, Corrosion and GlassHalfFull, when there isn't one? Have I missed the posts lately where people have a pink soap avatar? I sure haven't seen any. SH hasn't posted here in ages.

I don't get how people can invent something in the middle of a thread that doesn't even apply. LOL.

People flew the pink soap until about week 1 or 2 of last year, then it was apparent that Gary's job was safe for a verrry long time.

Nobody here is asking for his head. But he does tend to sort of become a bit conservative when he has a comfy lead. Yesterday was the first time I can recall Schaub really going downfield late in a game with a comfy lead. But previously? I don't recall those types of downfield shots like the ones to LeStar and Dre.

Check out Porky's avatar.

Texan_Bill
09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Well, he coached them to kick the snot out of the Broncos and then he coached them to kick the snot out of the clock. When it came down to it, even the great Peyton Manning couldn't come up with enough plays before TIME ran out.

I call that a win. On the road. 3-0 for the first time. Relying on Foster and this D isn't exactly a brain surgeon's strategy.

*AHEM* Not to mention that Pay-me-a-ton went 26-52. When was the last time you saw Peyton throw for 50%??? (Answer: Ummm probably never, :thinking: ) Not to mention that 26 incompletions is the highest number of incompletions in his career, IIRC.

Texecutioner
09-24-2012, 07:12 PM

I'm going to piggy back GP here.

Who are these people you guys are referring to? Sure, maybe a few folks have a tag line or older avatar that they didn't change, but so what. Are they calling for Kubiak's head right now? Are they starting threads about this and saying that he can't get the team anywhere? I have not seen anything like that. I'm sure that the folks that may still have that in their sig or avatar probably haven't even paid much attention to it or aren't posting that often. SH barely ever posts in here anymore.

I have not seen any Kubiak bashing for a while. Even a winning coach's game day decisions and moves can still be criticized though. There are all types of strategies to win games and to become dominant. Everyone doesn't have to agree with Kubiak's methods to a T. I don't see anyone creating "FIRE KUBIAK" threads though. It seems like some folks are looking for something that isn't there. Let's enjoy these wins while we got them. It wasn't long ago, that there were dozens of meltdown threads after every game practically. We're finally getting to enjoy having a dominant team that we can feel confident in week after week.

TexansFanatic
09-24-2012, 07:30 PM
HA!! The punch coming from someone who went completely conservative in his defensive play calls in a playoff game v. Kansas City and an aging Montana.

Houston fumbled 7 times in that game, turning the ball over three times. Moon lost a fumble for a touchdown and threw a pick.

Houston managed only 39 yards on the ground and Moon was sacked 9 times. NINE times.

Buddy didn't lose that game.

AMartin56
09-24-2012, 10:36 PM
1) I'm not a huge Kubiak fan.

2) Although at this point he deserves a shot a taking us to the promise land without a lot of second guessing from the fans.

3) But I'll never forgive him for wasting 3-4 of the franchise by hiring his no experience/talent buddies for our defensive coaching staff.

76Texan
09-24-2012, 11:07 PM
There was a coach on the Texans team who took his foot off the pedal.
His name is Wade Phillips. Sue him :)

GP
09-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Check out Porky's avatar.

Ah. So that's two if we count SH who doesn't really post here anymore. Pretty big outbreak of soap avatars.

Not to take a tasteless jab at Porky, but maybe he isn't good with technology and just doesn't want to mess with the avatar replacement? Even if not, he's like not even a minority...he's a one-nority. Not a BFD, IMO. It's one guy.

dalemurphy
09-25-2012, 12:01 AM
I find it amusing how many fans blame Kubiak simply because they get nervous and don't enjoy that sensation while watching football. Since the beginning of 2011, the Texans have won 14 games and lost 7 (counting the two playoff games)... How many of those seven losses resulted from being too conservative with a big lead?

Let's see:

New Orleans (small lead at halftime... certainly not conservative in 2nd half)
Baltimore - NO
Oakland - NO
Carolina - NO
Indianapolis NO
Tennessee - NO
Baltimore - NO

Am I missing something?

By the way, who are these NFL teams you admire that pour it on other teams and never blow leads?

*New Orleans? no, they gave up an 18 point lead to KC this week
*New England? no, they gave up a 13 point lead to Baltimore
*Baltimore? no, they gave up a 21 point halftime lead to Pittsburgh a couple years ago in the playoffs

... Teams like the 49ers of the 1980s don't exist anymore. That is by league design. Am I the only one that sees the irony that the same people complaining about how Kubiak finishes these wins, never gave him any credit for the team's ability to come from behind or fight adversity in all the tough losses they suffered from '07 to '10... Seems like I remember lots of fans saying the following:

"ALL THAT MATTERS IS WINNING THE GAME"... Well, apparently not, because the current formula has the Texans as the only undefeated team in the AFC, with the widest point margin, and a team that won 11 games last season without blowing any significant second half leads.

Solution: go see your doctor about blood pressure medication. Or, at the least, switch to decaf coffee and enjoy rooting for the best organization in the NFL, because that is what we are doing right now.

gtexan02
09-25-2012, 12:21 AM

Yup, agree completely. I hope people don't think I was trying to be negative about Kubiak here. I love Kubiak, and have been a fan of his for a long time.

The point of the thread was to respond to some comments I've seen in threads like "what do you want to see" or "next week is a must win" where people are saying they want to see big late game blowouts. Kubiak plays his style of football, and he plays it well. I just thought it was an unreasonable critique of the team, given they play the game they have been trained to play (and do it well!). 3-0. No one is complaining

silvrhand
09-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Asked him about his ear tonight, tried to get him to laugh about him looking like he just got out of a fight with Tyson, no laugh on nothing. Schaub in person is very serious and kind of odd. Meh oh well he looked fine was moving around shoulder looked to be no issue.

TimeKiller
09-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Asked him about his ear tonight, tried to get him to laugh about him looking like he just got out of a fight with Tyson, no laugh on nothing. Schaub in person is very serious and kind of odd. Meh oh well he looked fine was moving around shoulder looked to be no issue.

You think he was really in the mood for Tyson jokes? :toropalm:

Kaiser Toro
09-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Kubiak is a 50-49 coach in year 7. He is who he is, so enjoy what we have at this time.

Corrosion
09-25-2012, 08:05 AM
Ah. So that's two if we count SH who doesn't really post here anymore. Pretty big outbreak of soap avatars.

There was another , who I said something to a couple weeks ago about it .... For the life of me I cant recall who it is and couldnt find the post.

Im didnt say this was the majority ... just that there is a group who still wants him run , however small.

I know the majority of the soapers have come around or at least moved on since they made a playoff appearance.

welsh texan
09-25-2012, 08:47 AM
The guy has done well to change opinions on him.

I think his coaching style lends itself to developing good players and requires a lot of talent to be successful. Luckily for him and us, he's managed to develop that talent on both sides of the ball now.

I feel like what we have going here was worth the slow turnaround, it looks as if it is stable and has a chance to be perennial.

I feel as if this coaching staff will be a lot better at sustaining a level of elite talent than building it from nothing. Build through the draft requires having the talent around the guys you need to develop on the field.

I think we'll likely always have the Duane Browns and Kareem Jacksons around who need time to develop on the field and seem like bad picks at first. If we can avoid the Amobi Okoye's from here on out (and I believe in the scouting dept. now) we will continue to be strong.

I also expect a steady stream of good players to be let go or traded for what we think is poor value to keep this team on that track. Wouldn't be at all surprised if that sky is falling mentality returns every off-season until the sky does eventually fall.

Can't help but remember all the criticism that Tom Coughlin has had down the years, wasn't he close to getting sacked not so long ago? I'm extremely pleased to say I've been proven wrong, a lot of people were touting soap around here not that long ago, no point in throwing stones about it now, most of us thought he should have been out the door.

417Texan
09-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Guys team is 3-0 and off to a great start so I am not going to blame Kubs for anything. I love how this team has a physical running game and NFL is a pass league now.

DerekLee1
09-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Somewhat agree with OP.

Last point first - #88 didn't "blow it" for the Broncos. It was excellent coverage by our secondary.

As to your first point, you have strongest running game in the NFL and the best 1-2 RB tandem maybe in league history. Why WOULDN'T you run it with a large lead? Every incomplete pass gives the behind team an extra 40 seconds. 40 seconds is good for 5-6 passing plays - easily enough for a TD drive. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was wondering why the hell they didn't run it MORE when they were up by 20.

The Pencil Neck
09-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Last point first - #88 didn't "blow it" for the Broncos. It was excellent coverage by our secondary.

As to your first point, you have strongest running game in the NFL and the best 1-2 RB tandem maybe in league history. Why WOULDN'T you run it with a large lead? Every incomplete pass gives the behind team an extra 40 seconds. 40 seconds is good for 5-6 passing plays - easily enough for a TD drive. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was wondering why the hell they didn't run it MORE when they were up by 20.

I don't think Kubiak & Dennison totally depart the gameplan when they get the lead. And there are certain looks that they've worked on where they've identified weaknesses and tendencies and drilled Matt so that if he sees something, he's supposed to check to Play X or Y. And sometimes that's a pass.

Like a commentator said once, sometimes a pass play is the safe play.

76Texan
09-25-2012, 11:33 AM
I don't think Kubiak & Dennison totally depart the gameplan when they get the lead. And there are certain looks that they've worked on where they've identified weaknesses and tendencies and drilled Matt so that if he sees something, he's supposed to check to Play X or Y. And sometimes that's a pass.

So all this Texans are a run-first team is out of the window? :pop:

Mr teX
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Not only that, your opponent knows what you want to do so they'll counter by stacking the box & forcing you to throw it. incomplete passes stop the clock & elongate the game. They also have potential for game changing plays such as ints and fumbles; exactly what you don't want as a HC.

Don't let some of these monday morning qbs in here fool you, Every team in the NFL is playing to bleed the clock up that much that late in the game.

The Pencil Neck
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM

I prefer not to get into that discussion anymore because I think the question is framed wrong. I think the Texans O is a "we'll take what you give us" offense that's designed to be able to run on teams trying to stop the run.

In the early part of the game, if whatever the D is trying to stop, our O will do something else. You try to stop the run, we'll pass. You try to stop the long pass, we'll take the underneath. You try to stop the underneath, we'll go deep. Whatever you do, we'll find a way to hurt you.

In the late part of the game if we have a lead, we will pound the rock and eat up the clock. But if you sell out on the run, we'll still throw it to keep you on your heels.

The only thing we have to worry about is penalties and turnovers. If we eliminate those, we'll do well.

welsh texan
09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

They did a lot of running to set up that safe pass play. :cowboy1:

ObsiWan
09-25-2012, 12:44 PM
I prefer not to get into that discussion anymore because I think the question is framed wrong. I think the Texans O is a "we'll take what you give us" offense that's designed to be able to run on teams trying to stop the run.

In the early part of the game, if whatever the D is trying to stop, our O will do something else. You try to stop the run, we'll pass. You try to stop the long pass, we'll take the underneath. You try to stop the underneath, we'll go deep. Whatever you do, we'll find a way to hurt you.

In the late part of the game if we have a lead, we will pound the rock and eat up the clock. But if you sell out on the run, we'll still throw it to keep you on your heels.

The only thing we have to worry about is penalties and turnovers. If we eliminate those, we'll do well.

You (and others) have converged on the answer. We are equally capable to move the ball by ground or by air. You said it perfectly, whatever they try to stop, we can do something else. "We will find a way to hurt you."

Aaand... (this is the mostest beautious part for me) they cannot tell, by our formation or personnel package whut we gonna do.

And last year, Wade brought that you-don't-know-what's-coming philosphy to our defense.

It's a beautiful thing boys & girls.

now excuse me, I need to whip up some more Koolaid
:koolaid:

417Texan
09-25-2012, 12:56 PM
You (and others) have converged on the answer. We are equally capable to move the ball by ground or by air. You said it perfectly, whatever they try to stop, we can do something else. "We will find a way to hurt you."

Aaand... (this is the mostest beautious part for me) they cannot tell, by our formation or personnel package whut we gonna do.

And last year, Wade brought that you-don't-know-what's-coming philosphy to our defense.

It's a beautiful thing boys & girls.

now excuse me, I need to whip up some more Koolaid
:koolaid:

Man I do not fear Ravens like some do. That defense is getting up there and Suggs being gone this year will kill them.

Corrosion
09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
I hope people don't think I was trying to be negative about Kubiak here. I love Kubiak, and have been a fan of his for a long time.

Not at all .... Was more pointed at a few specific people. You and Tex werent among those , I even said as much to Tex in another thread a week or two ago.

Kubiak is a 50-49 coach in year 7. He is who he is, so enjoy what we have at this time.

As many times as we've heard Gary say "its on me" .... How many losses can we really attribute directly to his making mistakes in game ?

We've seen what this staff can do with talent to work with .... we kinda have to take that 50-49 record with a grain of salt .... Taking over that 2-14 team and going 6-10 with it , I have to wonder if they didnt overachieve.

The 2010 6-10 .... Ugh. That team was snakebit .... Several heartbreaking losses.

The guy has done well to change opinions on him.

Yeah , he's come a long way .... Winning will do that for ya.

MSR. :cowboy1:

drs23
09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
There was another , who I said something to a couple weeks ago about it .... For the life of me I cant recall who it is and couldnt find the post.

Im didnt say this was the majority ... just that there is a group who still wants him run , however small.

I know the majority of the soapers have come around or at least moved on since they made a playoff appearance.

You *might* be thinking about the 'Cowher Power' sig line. And it's still posted somewhat frequently.

GP
09-25-2012, 02:38 PM

He dropped around 5 passes, Derek. Or more. Big drops, drops that would have moved the chains by 10, 15 yards. It was amazing how many easy passes he dropped.

He broke lazy on an out pattern at the goal line...a crisper, faster break (like a Reggie Wayne runs) and it would've been a TD. Didn't try to drag a foot on the back-of-EZ catch. All around, he was sloppy. Absurdly talented, but no focus...no sense of urgency.

GP
09-26-2012, 11:33 PM
An old image I made awhile back. LOL.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/kubiak4life.jpg

thunderkyss
09-27-2012, 11:41 AM
An old image I made awhile back. LOL.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t128/gpshafer_1976/kubiak4life.jpg

Shave your back dude, that's disgusting.

I wish this thread had been a poll. I'd love to see how many fans thought Gary turtled up in that game.

I thought it was an extremely exciting game, both halfs. Ball being thrown around everywhere, QBs getting blown up, Kj De-Cleating Mofos... KDub going deep...

luv'ds it.

GP
09-27-2012, 12:46 PM
For the record...that's NOT me in the photo. LOL.

God blessed me with no back hair.

76Texan
09-27-2012, 12:58 PM
For the record...that's NOT me in the photo. LOL.

God blessed me with no back hair.

I'd say.
I really doubt that GP would post his own photo on the net like that, LOL!

:mariopalm:

badboy
09-27-2012, 01:20 PM

As to your first point, you have strongest running game in the NFL and the best 1-2 RB tandem maybe in league history. Why WOULDN'T you run it with a large lead? Every incomplete pass gives the behind team an extra 40 seconds. 40 seconds is good for 5-6 passing plays - easily enough for a TD drive. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was wondering why the hell they didn't run it MORE when they were up by 20.Because in 3rd quarter you should not be focusing on running out the clock but scoring and defending. QBs like Peyton can come back on you. Wait a second. IIRC Peyton did come back on us. That game was a prime example to go full throttle until at least 1/2 thru fourth quarter.

Reminds me of college basketball dribbling forever to run clock out with 20 minutes to play. Incomplete passes stop the clock BUT completed passes put you closer to points. No coach calls up a pass thinking it will be incomplete.

gtexan02
01-09-2013, 11:28 AM
I remember posting this thread back in September. It's interesting, because after watching the Begnals game, some of his play calls make more sense.

The problem is Kubiak doesn't adjust for being down. If he isn't playing with the lead, the style isn't as effective.

eriadoc
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM

There are arguments to be made on both sides of this idea -- whether its better to keep your food on the gas pedal or better to eat the clock and "go turtle."

For me, it isn't an either/or argument. There are times that he should go turtle. There are times he should press the advantage. My complaint about Kubiak in this regard is that he's completely inflexible in this situation. When you're facing a team that can come back, you need to bury them. Other times, those teams' only chance to come back is a turnover, so you don't take any risk at all. Kubiak is just stuck on turtle no matter what. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not.

thunderkyss
01-09-2013, 12:50 PM
For me, it isn't an either/or argument. There are times that he should go turtle. There are times he should press the advantage. My complaint about Kubiak in this regard is that he's completely inflexible in this situation. When you're facing a team that can come back, you need to bury them. Other times, those teams' only chance to come back is a turnover, so you don't take any risk at all. Kubiak is just stuck on turtle no matter what. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not.

& I don't see that at all. We need to be able to run when everybody in the building knows we're going to run it. That's just good sound football.

If we can run the ball like we're supposed to, he'll hit them with the play action, or the bootleg & take a quick strike down field. That's the way he's always been.

This year, because of the new guys on the OL, we have not been able to run the ball in those situations. Kubiak (imo) being able to see more than two games down the schedule, understands how important it is that we are able to run it down their throats in that "protect the lead" situation.

If we get a lead on a team like the Bears, or the Patriots, or the Broncos, or the Bengals... who get turnovers in the passing game, we'll need to run it & have them sell out to stop it in order to win.

Running the ball will run out the clock. Them selling out to stop it is going to allow us to take those shots & score.... from anywhere on the field.

silvrhand
01-09-2013, 12:55 PM
It's not secret, Gary plays the % plays and doesn't take risks. He's a career backup QB to John Elway, you would have thought he would have more of that fire in him but he doesn't.

thunderkyss
01-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Kubiak is just stuck on turtle no matter what. Sometimes it's right, sometimes not.

In addition, how many times did we have the lead on a team that "could come back"

I can only think of two, Denver & Baltimore. Against Baltimore, we were up 29-3 at the half. Our first drive, we ran the ball once, but tried to pass twice. Once Matt was sacked, the other he threw an incomplete pass.

Baltimore scored, then we came out with a 13 yard pass to Andre, a 2 yard loss by Foster, & a 35 yard pass to KDub...

Sounds to me Kubiak is bent on scoring even though we have a 19 point lead, because the Ravens can come back on us.

Most of the other teams we've played, not so much. What better time to practice your run it down their throats offense?