PDA

View Full Version : The play clock ran down to Zero on Manning........

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2012, 08:14 PM
..........on a 4th down play on his last touchdown series. No delay of game penalty was called and Manning completed that pass for a 1st down, giving the Broncos new life to go on to the make the Td.

Thorn
09-23-2012, 08:15 PM
These replacement refs are just horrible.

wolf123
09-23-2012, 08:17 PM
We were screaming about it too!!

TejasTom
..........on a 4th down play on his last touchdown series. No delay of game penalty was called and Manning completed that pass for a 1st down, giving the Broncos new life to go on to the make the Td.

There was yelling about this in my household.

Corrosion

He also stepped across the LOS on a play that was called interference .... That could have been huge. I saw Gary with the challenge flag , thought he was going to throw it .... but Im not sure if the PI call would have trumped it or they would have offset.

Scooter
09-23-2012, 08:19 PM
there were also procedure calls not made. on a big reception by decker(?) in the first quarter he's moving forward at the snap as well as covering the tight end.

gwallaia
09-23-2012, 08:20 PM
I've seen the regular refs miss delay of game calls quite frequently as well, but yeah, its time for the replacement refs to return to their various Pop Warner leagues.

ObsiWan
09-23-2012, 08:20 PM
He also stepped across the LOS on a play that was called interference .... That could have been huge. I saw Gary with the challenge flag , thought he was going to throw it .... but Im not sure if the PI call would have trumped it or they would have offset.

The rule on illegal fwd pass is that the QB's whole body has to be beyond the LoS before it's a penalty...
Sooooo...
:shrug:

Corrosion
09-23-2012, 08:22 PM
The rule on illegal fwd pass is that the QB's whole body has to be beyond the LoS before it's a penalty...
Sooooo...
:shrug:

Are you sure about that ? I thought it was the ball .... I know his front foot and arm were across .... I could have sworn I had seen that called before.

False Start
09-23-2012, 08:24 PM
We were screaming about it too!!

We were too. I was angry, lol.

Peyton is the NFL version of Jordan, he will get away with things that other players wont.

GP
09-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Are you sure about that ? I thought it was the ball .... I know his front foot and arm were across .... I could have sworn I had seen that called before.

Hey, this was also the SAME play as the play clock being zero.

Multiple things going on. Someone also pointed out that the WR actually offensive pass interfered on that play, not our Texans defender.

Three problems with that play, and it all went Denver's way.

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
There was another play where Manning was backed up and cornered between the tackles and threw away a short pass right down the middle in front of him which didn't make it to the LOS.........no intentional grounding called.

Allstar
09-23-2012, 08:26 PM

It's the whole body. Every time the issue comes up, the announcer always says that.

Corrosion
09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
There was another play where Manning was cornered between the tackles and threw away a short right down the middle in front of him which didn't make it to the LOS.........no intentional grounding called.

He threw that one at the feet of Dreessen .... Was a smart play.

False Start
09-23-2012, 08:29 PM
There was another play where Manning was cornered between the tackles and threw away a short right down the middle in front of him which didn't make it to the LOS.........no intentional grounding called.

Yep. Me, my cousins, and Uncles were just shaking our head. We finally just said F it, and just accepted that's just the way it is with the forehead.

EllisUnit
09-23-2012, 08:30 PM
It's the whole body. Every time the issue comes up, the announcer always says that.

i just watched the replay and he was a good step in front of the LOS..... i saw that right away and it was B.S.

ObsiWan
09-23-2012, 08:35 PM

I used to think that too. But it's actually the opposite. Saw it happen during a game last year - don't recall which one - where they had Mike Perrera (sp?) as one of the analysts. Perriera said explained that if the QB has even one foot behind the line when the ball is released, it's a legal pass.

Could have knocked me over with a feather

Premier
09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
ive seen the real refs miss this call all the time, its like they count zero as a second..

5 Mississippi
4 Mississippi
3 Mississippi
2 Mississippi
1 Mississippi
0 Mississippi

HIKE!!!!!

Nawzer
09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
I've noticed this problem in several games too. These replacements are in way over their heads and I don't blame them because they are just not trained or experienced enough. They really have to get the regular crew back to work.

Errant Hothy
09-23-2012, 08:41 PM
When the clock hits 00 in the NFL it means 00.9 not 00.0. Its always been that way.

dream_team
09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
There was another play where Manning was backed up and cornered between the tackles and threw away a short pass right down the middle in front of him which didn't make it to the LOS.........no intentional grounding called.

I don't know if we are thinking of the same play,but there was one play that he clearly threw to the ground intentionally. He was in the pocket and he just threw to the feet of some linemen. No flag!?

ThaJokaa
09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
I saw it also but ive seen it plenty of times in other games where the QB snaps it exactly at 0

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2012, 08:50 PM
When the clock hits 00 in the NFL it means 00.9 not 00.0. Its always been that way.

That's in basketball. The NCAA rule is that a shot clock is done when the horn sounds, not when the number reaches :00. This is for two reasons: The ref isn't asked to look at two things (the ball and the clock) at the same time. Shot clocks do not run into the tenths of a second, when the clock first hits :00, there are still 0.9 seconds left. Game clocks do go to the tenth of a second, and the horn sounds at the true :00.0.

ObsiWan
09-23-2012, 08:52 PM
I've noticed this problem in several games too. These replacements are in way over their heads and I don't blame them because they are just not trained or experienced enough. They really have to get the regular crew back to work.

This touches on a serious issue... In past seasons when there was a funky call (or non-call) Kubiak, when asked during post game pressers, would tell us that he would send a video of said funky calls into the league office for review. I suspect that this year, with Goodell's replacement posse out there, this tactic by Kubiak (or whoever) will only raise Goodell's ire and make things worse. Goodell's says his posse is doing just fine, thank you... No need to bring back those troublemaking regular refs.

TejasTom
09-23-2012, 08:53 PM
He threw that one at the feet of Dreessen .... Was a smart play.

Dreessen was blocking, the exact same thing happened in the Wash game. RGIII threw at feet of back, the back was blocking they called grounding.

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass
Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.
Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

Nawzer
09-23-2012, 09:21 PM
This touches on a serious issue... In past seasons when there was a funky call (or non-call) Kubiak, when asked during post game pressers, would tell us that he would send a video of said funky calls into the league office for review. I suspect that this year, with Goodell's replacement posse out there, this tactic by Kubiak (or whoever) will only raise Goodell's ire and make things worse. Goodell's says his posse is doing just fine, thank you... No need to bring back those troublemaking regular refs.

Unfortunately, I agree with something John McClain said earlier in the week: the only way the NFL and Roger Goodell will realize how big a problem this is when teams like the Jets, Giants and Patriots loose games due to bad officiating. It'll take some of those big market teams complaining to remedy the situation. Not saying that the Texans aren't a big market team, but we know that if the Pats and Jets make enough noise that'll get more attention. That in and of itself is a problem, but that's the way it is.

BigB0iFresh
09-23-2012, 09:40 PM
I was at work yelling about it and the customers were looking at me like i was crazy

NitroGSXR
09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
We got the win. I'm over it... onward to preparing for the Titans.

Allstar
09-23-2012, 09:47 PM

Are you sure? I'd like to think that zero means zero...

Errant Hothy
09-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Are you sure? I'd like to think that zero means zero...

Seriously?

If it is a 40 second play clock, and it is, and you start it at the change from 40 to 39, which the NFL does, then you have to count the time between 00.9 till 00.0 or it is only a 39 second play clock.

Premier
09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Seriously?

you have to count the time between 00.9 till 00.0 or it is only a 39 second play clock.

yes and this is happening when the number 1 is displayed.. 0 is 0.. your logic is very flawed..

TimeKiller
09-23-2012, 10:10 PM
There was definitely a lot of borderline **** going on. The mystery PI call on Jackson was trash though and the TD that got called back...I mean, the ref was right there. What exactly was he looking at if not the WR feet? It wasn't even close either, pretty much his whole 2nd foot landed out of bounds.....

I'm not one to believe the officiating is all that different. I mean maybe people don't remember but officiating has always been wonky here and there, Manning has always had favorable rulings on touching him .001 second after he throws it and not having intentional grounding called when he "wisely" throws it away....but that one official really, really blew it.

Errant Hothy
09-23-2012, 10:12 PM
yes and this is happening when the number 1 is displayed.. 0 is 0..

No it isn't. When the play clock reads 01 it is counting the time from 1.9 to 1.0. Grab a stopwatch and start it. You will have to wait a second for it to change from 00 seconds to 01 seconds. Just because the clock does not display the tenth of a second countdown does not keep it from exsisting. It's why basketball, hockey, track and field, motorsports, swimming, horse racing, etc measure out past the whole second measurement. It's also why you will see teams snap the ball after the clock turns to 00 and not get called for delay of game every weekend between the NCAA and the NFL.

Allstar
09-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Seriously?

If it is a 40 second play clock, and it is, and you start it at the change from 40 to 39, which the NFL does, then you have to count the time between 00.9 till 00.0 or it is only a 39 second play clock.

I'm still not convinced. I see what you are saying, but I still think the rules say zero is zero. There is no grey area.

JamesBill
09-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Manning also stepped over the LOS on the pass interference play. what else is new

hradhak
09-23-2012, 10:21 PM
As much as I don't trust these Lingerie Football league refs, I still think that alot of these no calls would have gone unflagged with the regular refs. Offensive PI and delay of games get missed all the time. The PI on KJ was complete BS, but my guess is that the real refs would have called that also. At the end of the day the refs can't watch everything.

We just gotta play better than everyone else and let the play on the field decide the game, not the refs.

Premier
09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
No it isn't. When the play clock reads 01 it is counting the time from 1.9 to 1.0. Grab a stopwatch and start it. You will have to wait a second for it to change from 00 seconds to 01 seconds. Just because the clock does not display the tenth of a second countdown does not keep it from exsisting. It's why basketball, hockey, track and field, motorsports, swimming, horse racing, etc measure out past the whole second measurement. It's also why you will see teams snap the ball after the clock turns to 00 and not get called for delay of game every weekend between the NCAA and the NFL.

thats because if you set a stop watch to 40 seconds, the count down immediately displays the number 39 on its countdown as soon as its triggered. try it, countdown with a stopwatch, youre count will always be a number behind the number displayed.. if what you were saying was true than the playclock would start at 39 and count down..

the nfl playclock doesnt work like this.. it counts out 40 39 38 37 36 35 34

heres john madden explaining it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pLd0yTTypI

the ball has to be snapped before the clock displays 0. the nfl doesnt require the referees to keep a mental clock of the .9 run off after 0 is displayed..

i know you want so much to be right but youre not..

Allstar
09-23-2012, 11:24 PM
That's what I'm saying. There's absolutely no way the NFL expects the referees to count "zero Mississippi" as soon as they see zero. The notion is ridiculous now that I'm thinking about it.

NastyNate
09-23-2012, 11:36 PM
You do realize for it to be a delay of game penalty, the referee has to visibly see the play clock at 00, then visibly see the ball not snapped AFTER that has occured, right? So the play clock can and will hit 00 quite a few times during the season across the league without DOG calls.

ObsiWan
09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Unfortunately, I agree with something John McClain said earlier in the week: the only way the NFL and Roger Goodell will realize how big a problem this is when teams like the Jets, Giants and Patriots loose games due to bad officiating. It'll take some of those big market teams complaining to remedy the situation. Not saying that the Texans aren't a big market team, but we know that if the Pats and Jets make enough noise that'll get more attention. That in and of itself is a problem, but that's the way it is.
Your theory may get tested this week. Belichick was so pissed after tonight's game he ran a official down and grabbed him by the arm. The Pats lost by one. Was it officiating? Bet belichick thinks so....
I bet the only thing that happens is belichick gets fined. As long as stadiums are filled and TV ratings stay high Goodell won't budge on this.

Manning also stepped over the LOS on the pass interference play. what else is new
Again, both the player and the ball have to be completely beyond the LoS for a penalty to be called.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-23-2012, 11:49 PM

Yeah, I noticed that. What no foul? Those replacements!

otisbean
09-24-2012, 06:13 AM
Your theory may get tested this week. Belichick was so pissed after tonight's game he ran a official down and grabbed him by the arm. The Pats lost by one. Was it officiating? Bet belichick thinks so....
I bet the only thing that happens is belichick gets fined. As long as stadiums are filled and TV ratings stay high Goodell won't budge on this.

Again, both the player and the ball have to be completely beyond the LoS for a penalty to be called.

I thought the officiating in the Texans game and during the Pats/Ravens game was atrocious. Hopefully they come to an agreement soon.