PDA

View Full Version : Manziel

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Blake
07-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Seriously? You guys don't remember the scooby doo costume pic and story?

Plenty of women and parties at A&M but the guy just wanted to party with his friends in austin. What's so horrible about that? Oh yeah, drunk idiot ut frat boys.

He pulled a Zimmerman and got out of his car when he probably should have known that all he would find in Austin is trouble. Not saying he cant come to Austin, but dont expect a drama free time. And to Manziel, newsflash, college football rivals are heated, and their fans can be downright mean when it comes to football passions.

TexanSam
07-29-2013, 12:51 PM
He pulled a Zimmerman and got out of his car when he probably should have known that all he would find in Austin is trouble. Not saying he cant come to Austin, but dont expect a drama free time. And to Manziel, newsflash, college football rivals are heated, and their fans can be downright mean when it comes to football passions.

Especially at a frat party. Unless Manziel is just completely dumb and naive, what did he expect would happen to him at a frat party at UT? He had to know there would be trouble as the night went on.

infantrycak
07-29-2013, 01:06 PM
It's not like he's complaining about the attention.
The media is the one writing up stories every time he someone posts a pictur of him out in public
The Tebow jersey was priceless because they do the same thing to him.

Did I say anything about him complaining?

Totally missed the point. He is on the path to make millions and is in the spot light. Right or wrong, fair or unfair on both counts he doesn't get to be a normal kid and he needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize that. He likes his superstar perks, well he needs to learn they come with superstar responsibilities.

Stemp
07-29-2013, 01:08 PM

Totally missed the point. He is on the path to make millions and is in the spot light. Right or wrong, fair or unfair on both counts he doesn't get to be a normal kid and he needs to pull his head out of his ass and realize that. He likes his superstar perks, well he needs to learn they come with superstar responsibilities.

Like not going to a party in Austin because a ********* Longhorn might dump a beer on him.

So basically, you are arguing that because there are dbags who may want to start something, he can't go out?

Funny thing is, he went to another frat party the next night and had no problems.

Honoring Earl 34
07-29-2013, 01:09 PM

Fast starts have fast finishes . :vincepalm:

Stemp
07-29-2013, 01:13 PM
Fast starts have fast finishes . :vincepalm:

Seriously, what did he do that was so wrong that people think he's imploding?
He went to a party, a dbag tried to start trouble and he walked away.

OMG! HE'S COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL!! :overreact:

infantrycak
07-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Like not going to a party in Austin because a ********* Longhorn might dump a beer on him.

First off, to be clear I have no allegiance to either UT or A&M and having said that Austin is one of my favorite cities in the country. I'd love to party there every weekend.

To answer the question, yes he should have avoided putting himself in that situation. He shouldn't have tweeted he wanted out of College Station, etc. It's a few years on a path to life long success. It is one of the biggest rivalries around. He isn't from Austin. Stay the hell out. Party there once you get out of A&M or do so in a very safe and considered manner - go to the lake, go cycling, catch a hottie at Buffalo Billiards, etc..

Rey
07-29-2013, 01:28 PM
So basically, you are arguing that because there are dbags who may want to start something, he can't go out?

Funny thing is, he went to another frat party the next night and had no problems.

It doesn't seem very bright for him to have gone to that UT frat party. Could have gotten a lot worse than a beer being poured on him or empty cans being thrown over his head.

His status as A&M's star QB has every thing to do with that.

Some regular kid from A&M has a buddy that goes to UT...He goes to a party with him...As long as he isn't there being disrespectful and stuff, No one will likely notice him or care.

Manziel doesn't have that luxury....At some point it becomes a huge distraction if he keeps doing things without regards to the attention his actions receive. He's showing a pattern of questionable decisions.

That said, if he can go out on the field and maintain that level of success this year then all will be well (until draft time and his actions are going to be scrutinized like a mutha). But if he has any drop off this year then...well...I was always told things understood don't need to be explained.

Stemp
07-29-2013, 01:30 PM
First off, to be clear I have no allegiance to either UT or A&M and having said that Austin is one of my favorite cities in the country. I'd love to party there every weekend.

To answer the question, yes he should have avoided putting himself in that situation. He shouldn't have tweeted he wanted out of College Station, etc. It's a few years on a path to life long success. It is one of the biggest rivalries around. He isn't from Austin. Stay the hell out. Party there once you get out of A&M or do so in a very safe and considered manner.

You obviously don't know much about Manziel either.

First, yes, he shouldn't have tweeted he wanted out of CS. It was late, he was a couple hundred miles away and he was frustrated with CS police giving him issues about where his car was parked. He didn't give any context for the tweet and the Twitterverse took it the wrong way.

Second, Manziel has every right to be at a party Austin just like anyone else. He's got friends that go to Texas, including many on the football team. And if he was invited to a party, he shouldn't have to stay away just because some idiot frat boy may try to start trouble. Players from both schools to go parties at the other campus all the time. Manziel wasn't doing anything wrong except being a Heisman winner from another school.

If he has to avoid any potential situation where someone can act like an ass then he'd pretty much have to stay home and never go out. Because that situation could just as easily have happened in College Station, or Houston or Dallas or anywhere else.

Frankly, that ballsy "I'm going to do it" attitude is what makes him Johnny Football and is a part of what makes him successful on the field and a Heisman winner.

Rey
07-29-2013, 01:33 PM
You obviously don't know much about Manziel either.

First, yes, he shouldn't have tweeted he wanted out of CS. It was late, he was a couple hundred miles away and he was frustrated with CS police giving him issues about where his car was parked. He didn't give any context for the tweet and the Twitterverse took it the wrong way.

Second, Manziel has every right to be at a party Austin just like anyone else. He's got friends that go to Texas, including many on the football team. And if he was invited to a party, he shouldn't have to stay away just because some idiot frat boy may try to start trouble. Players from both schools to go parties at the other campus all the time. Manziel wasn't doing anything wrong except being a Heisman winner from another school.

If he has to avoid any potential situation where someone can act like an ass then he'd pretty much have to stay home and never go out. Because that situation could just as easily have happened in College Station, or Houston or Dallas or anywhere else.

I understand what you're saying, in an ideal world. But right now, you're just making excuses for him. He needs to realize that because of who he is, he needs to be more careful when he does certain things.

Hopefully that'll come with maturity.

Stemp
07-29-2013, 01:37 PM
I understand what you're saying, in an ideal world. But right now, you're just making excuses for him. He needs to realize that because of who he is, he needs to be more careful when he does certain things.

Hopefully that'll come with maturity.

Be careful when he does certain things. Like walking away instead of confronting the dbag who poured a beer on him?

Let's get this straight. HE didn't do anything wrong by going to that party. Frankly, the guy who did that is lucky that Manziel's friends on the Texas football team weren't there or that guy might have gotten the sh*t kicked out of him. Maybe he should be a little more careful or have his backup around, but he didn't do anything wrong or inappropriate, no matter if the media reports it every time he farts in public.

Rey
07-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Be careful when he does certain things. Like walking away instead of confronting the dbag who poured a beer on him?

Let's get this straight. HE didn't do anything wrong by going to that party.

Do you think that a woman should walk down a dark alley alone in a part of town she's unfamiliar with with 5,000 dollars taped to her forehead?

If something happens to her, I wouldn't blame the woman. I'd blame whoever decided to take advantage.

But...

In an ideal world people would be free to do whatever they wanted to as long as they weren't hurting anyone. But the reality is, we have to deal with real life and real life dictates that sometimes you have to make wise decisions based on who you are and where you're at. Sometimes you have to exclude yourself from situations where you could possibly see trouble/drama unfolding.

Manziel seems to either have a poor concept of that, or doesn't really care. Either way, his actions are going to be scrutinized.

Blake
07-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Do you think that a woman should walk down a dark alley alone in a part of town she's unfamiliar with with 5,000 dollars taped to her forehead?

If something happens to her, I wouldn't blame the woman. I'd blame whoever decided to take advantage.

But...

In an ideal world people would be free to do whatever they wanted to as long as they weren't hurting anyone. But the reality is, we have to deal with real life and real life dictates that sometimes you have to make wise decisions based on who you are and where you're at. Sometimes you have to exclude yourself from situations where you could possibly see trouble/drama unfolding.

Manziel seems to either have a poor concept of that, or doesn't really care. Either way, his actions are going to be scrutinized.

:clap:

Dan B.
07-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Is he even 21?

ThaJokaa
07-29-2013, 04:03 PM
I think hes only 19 if that

Vinny
07-29-2013, 05:05 PM
half the football "hero's" of the past were just downright dooche-bags, so I could sum up my thoughts as...."eh". As far as on the field, I just watched the Tamu vs Bama game recast yesterday and dooche-bags or not, Manziel is a College football God.

I gotta do some work on our word filters...I can't even spell out *********!

GlassHalfFull
07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
Is he even 21?

He is 20. He turns 21 in December.

Stemp
07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
This just in, it was not David Ash who threw the beer.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2971067/ash-derp-beer.gif

ATXtexanfan
07-29-2013, 09:33 PM
This just in, it was not David Ash who threw the beer.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2971067/ash-derp-beer.gif

Lmfao, nice one

silvrhand
07-29-2013, 11:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/66887/manziel-kicked-out-of-ut-fraternity-party

Pretty good look at it from my view, he's just setting himself up for a huge backlash. He's been put in the spotlight he should be responsible about and realize he's got millions on the line for it. All he has to do is work hard for another few years and then he's set for life.

Hopefully he grows up, but if he doesn't and has a horrible year for A&M they'll make him part of the bonfire tradition lol.

steelbtexan
07-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Anybody think that JM is going to do what HE wants to do and realy doesn't care about millions of $$$$, what the media or anybody else thinks.

Some peoples's lives aren't ruled by the almighty $$$$. As hard as that may be for many people to believe.

Hookem Horns
07-29-2013, 11:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/66887/manziel-kicked-out-of-ut-fraternity-party

Pretty good look at it from my view, he's just setting himself up for a huge backlash. He's been put in the spotlight he should be responsible about and realize he's got millions on the line for it. All he has to do is work hard for another few years and then he's set for life.

Hopefully he grows up, but if he doesn't and has a horrible year for A&M they'll make him part of the bonfire tradition lol.

Agree, the guy isn't doing himself any favors right now. What he is doing off of the field right now is also going on his resume to NFL teams.

infantrycak
07-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Anybody think that JM is going to do what HE wants to do and realy doesn't care about millions of $$$$, what the media or anybody else thinks.

Some peoples's lives aren't ruled by the almighty $$$$. As hard as that may be for many people to believe.

Get serious. Don't try to make him into some sort of Mother Teresa. "Oh I don't care about the millions, I will give it all up to help out the poor collegiates (for another college) while I down this brewski in the name of a greater cause."

Can y'all stop apologizing for this talented Justin Bieber ahole?

He has time to mature. Y'all acting like all this is OK ain't helping.

Hookem Horns
07-30-2013, 09:42 AM

They are starting to sound like the VY fanboys on Shaggy Bevo.

Dan B.
07-30-2013, 01:29 PM
They are starting to sound like the VY fanboys on Shaggy Bevo.

No one does delusional like Longhorn fans do delusional. There are Horns thinking this means Manziel transfers to Texas and wins a second Heisman with a second school.

Stemp
07-30-2013, 01:41 PM
No one does delusional like Longhorn fans do delusional. There are Horns thinking this means Manziel transfers to Texas and wins a second Heisman with a second school.

True but the article espn just published has me a bit concerned that Johnny is under immense pressure that we frankly can't understand and that his parents are worried enough to share it with espn.

And the sad part is this manziel story will overshadow the fact that an A&M football player died in a car accident last night.

The season can't get here soon enough.

Hookem Horns
07-30-2013, 02:21 PM

If he does that then he is dumber than he looks.

Wolf
07-30-2013, 02:24 PM
:kubepalm:

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/espn-feature-on-texas-ams-johnny-manziel-reveals-the-disconnect-between-manziels-and-am.html/

Goodness gracious. My sisters went to school with him and told me what an a-hole he was. One of my friends played football with him at Tivy. He hated him. Reading a story like this where the parents seemed to be lost. I don't feel sorry for him.

His parents worry about the pressure. There was enough pressure winning the heisman. But Johnny had to throw the rock star persona with it. This offseason. Maybe when the season starts, he can refocus

Rey
07-30-2013, 02:39 PM
True but the article espn just published has me a bit concerned that Johnny is under immense pressure that we frankly can't understand and that his parents are worried enough to share it with espn.

And the sad part is this manziel story will overshadow the fact that an A&M football player died in a car accident last night.

The season can't get here soon enough.

You do realize that Manziel himself is causing a lot of that pressure?

These recent Manziel articles just highlight what some of us have said all along. He's got some maturing to do.

That "we frankly can't understand" line is ridiculous as well. This isn't rocket science.

Hookem Horns
07-30-2013, 02:52 PM

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/07/espn-feature-on-texas-ams-johnny-manziel-reveals-the-disconnect-between-manziels-and-am.html/

Goodness gracious. My sisters went to school with him and told me what an a-hole he was. One of my friends played football with him at Tivy. He hated him. Reading a story like this where the parents seemed to be lost. I don't feel sorry for him.

His parents worry about the pressure. There was enough pressure winning the heisman. But Johnny had to throw the rock star persona with it. This offseason. Maybe when the season starts, he can refocus

Hmm, maybe Mack Brown knew what he was doing after all when he refused to recruit him. Pretty sad.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 02:53 PM

Also discussed is A&M’s huge earnings, coach Kevin Sumlin’s huge earnings and Johnny’s zero income for what he has brought to everyone else.

“It’s starting to get under our skin,” Paul says. “They’re so selfish.”

As opposed to all the other high-profile BCS football programs where the head coaches are working for free, and the schools split all profits between a generous weekly allowance to the players and a handsome contribution to the United Way?

Stemp
07-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Hmm, maybe Mack Brown knew what he was doing after all when he refused to recruit him. Pretty sad.

:lol:
Sure just like be did with Andrew luck and rg3.

Texn4life
07-30-2013, 03:18 PM
I honestly don't see how anyone can defend Johnny at this point. I've talked to 3 former A&M players and all of them are fed up with his act. His parents now sound like they're the ones responsible for his ways.

Stemp
07-30-2013, 03:18 PM

That "we frankly can't understand" line is ridiculous as well. This isn't rocket science.

Right because we all know what it's like to be a heisman winner and the most famous college football player whose every move is watched reported and scrutinized by the media. Plus there is no history whatsoever of young celebrities getting overwhelmed by all the attention and media.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 03:37 PM
Right because we all know what it's like to be a heisman winner and the most famous college football player whose every move is watched reported a m d scrutinized by the media. Plus there is no history whatsoever of young celebrities getting overwhelmed by all the attention and media.

What does that have to do with anything?

He's having problems (as indicated by his own father), and he's doing things of his own free will that make those problems worse. What difference does it make that you and I and everyone else on this board has no first hand knowledge of what it's like to win a Heisman, or that numerous others have had similar difficulties with living a high profile lifestyle at an early age?

Hookem Horns
07-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Sure just like be did with Andrew luck and rg3.

Not defending Mack Brown as he clearly has issues, but just sayin'. I also don't recall Luck and RGIII walking onto the Texas campus and practically begging Brown to recruit them.

Sure, I am open to the possibility that Mack was just being Mack, however maybe Manziel's reputation and issues played into the decision to not touch him.

Rey
07-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Right because we all know what it's like to be a heisman winner and the most famous college football player whose every move is watched reported a m d scrutinized by the media. Plus there is no history whatsoever of young celebrities getting overwhelmed by all the attention and media.

So we should walk in Manziel's shoes? :thinking:....that sounds familiar....

Is that the only way to understand where someone is coming from? To actually be them?

Stemp
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

He's having problems (as indicated by his own father), and he's doing things of his own free will that make those problems worse. What difference does it make that you and I and everyone else on this board has no first hand knowledge of what it's like to win a Heisman, or that numerous others have had similar difficulties with living a high profile lifestyle at an early age?

He's having issues because all the same stuff he did this time last year, going to baseball and basketball games, going to parties, hanging with his friends, is now plastered on TMZ and scrutinized by the media. The media and attention is adding a ton of pressure and no one knows how they'd react if they were a 20 years RS Sophomore who just won the Heisman and was basically the face of college football. I'm not saying he's faultless, but damn, cut the kid some slack. He's getting torn up daily for doing what other guys and football players not named Johnny Manziel do.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 04:01 PM
He's having issues because all the same stuff he did this time last year, going to baseball and basketball games, going to parties, hanging with his friends, is now plastered on TMZ and scrutinized by the media. The media and attention is adding a ton of pressure and no one knows how they'd react if they were a 20 years RS Sophomore who just won the Heisman and was basically the face of college football. I'm not saying he's faultless, but damn, cut the kid some slack. He's getting torn up daily for doing what other guys and football players not named Johnny Manziel do.

First, I'm not tearing him up - I'm questioning the wisdom of some of his actions, and while some of the comments of other posters on this board might be considered hurtful, or exhibiting schadenfreude, I don't believe that's what's causing Johnny problems.

He made himself famous. Like it or not, the scrutiny is what comes along with that. Others have dealt with it effectively, others have crashed and burned under the pressure. Johnny and his dad (and you) can gripe and complain about how the system isn't right and isn't fair (and you may even be right), but it isn't going to change anything, and blaming everything on something you have zero chance of changing isn't likely to be an effective form of doing things.

Bottom line - the things you are doing are causing you problems. Since you have zero control over anything in this world other than yourself - DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Stemp
07-30-2013, 04:10 PM
First to clarify the media is tearing him up. Anytime he sneezes espn and other sports websites put up a story. The media helped build him up to mythic levels and now they are itching to tear him down.

Again I'm not saying he is faultless but he's getting ripped for stuff that isnt wrong or illegal. Like getting kicked out of a party after walking away when someone poured a beer on him.

Now that said, his parents aren't doing much to help him learn grow up and handle his success. His dad comes off as as whiney b*tch who worries about his sons drinking then buys him beer at the 19th hole on a golf course. I'm starting to see that dad isn't a great role model in how to handle issues like a man.

Texn4life
07-30-2013, 05:33 PM
Ok, I take what I said back. His dad is a freaking idiot. No wonder Johnny is coming off as an entitled brat right now. His family sounds like a bunch of nutballs.

gg no re
07-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Johnny Football battles the h8terz on the twitter: http://deadspin.com/johnny-manziel-still-clowning-everyone-on-twitter-942660016

If Manziel doesn't put together a Tucker Max-level autobiography after his career is said and done, it would truly be a disappointment.

ATXtexanfan
07-30-2013, 07:41 PM
This dude is a legit reality show........

Honoring Earl 34
07-30-2013, 08:29 PM
His dad and mom wanted to get plates for their car that had JFF Dad and JFF Mom . They should be the adults for Johnny and keep him grounded but instead they fund him to travel the world and act the fool . He should marry one of those gymnast girls who's parents ruined them .

Having been around youth sports with two sons , there were other kids who could have been like that if they hit it big . Johnny just happens to be the one who hit it .

If Johnny gets drafted , I wonder if his dad is going to want to go to all the practices and handle all of his affairs ?

BullBlitz
07-30-2013, 09:24 PM

Maybe not.

Wolf
07-30-2013, 11:28 PM
I will post tomorrow

Talked to a few people today

steelbtexan
07-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Get serious. Don't try to make him into some sort of Mother Teresa. "Oh I don't care about the millions, I will give it all up to help out the poor collegiates (for another college) while I down this brewski in the name of a greater cause."

I'm not apoligizing.

I am saying that doing what JM wants to do when he wants to do it appears to be more important to him than what people like you think, his stock in a future draft etc....

He's wired differently than most people. That's all I'm saying.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 11:40 PM
I'm not apoligizing.

I am saying that doing what JM wants to do when he wants to do it appears to be more important to him than what people like you think, his stock in a future draft etc....

He's wired differently than most people. That's all I'm saying.

Does this sound like we're talking about someone who doesn't care what other people think?

But in one of the most concerning quotes of the story, Paul reveals that he is worried what could one day happen if Manziel doesn’t soon grow up and mature.

“Yeah,” Paul says one evening, driving in his car, “it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad.”

“He imagines a late-night call, and the cable news ticker, and the next morning’s headlines,” Thompson writes.

“It’s one night away from the phone ringing,” Paul says, “and he’s in jail. And you know what he’s gonna say? ‘It’s better than all the pressure I’ve been under. This is better than that.’”

steelbtexan
07-30-2013, 11:41 PM
First, I'm not tearing him up - I'm questioning the wisdom of some of his actions, and while some of the comments of other posters on this board might be considered hurtful, or exhibiting schadenfreude, I don't believe that's what's causing Johnny problems.

He made himself famous. Like it or not, the scrutiny is what comes along with that. Others have dealt with it effectively, others have crashed and burned under the pressure. Johnny and his dad (and you) can gripe and complain about how the system isn't right and isn't fair (and you may even be right), but it isn't going to change anything, and blaming everything on something you have zero chance of changing isn't likely to be an effective form of doing things.

Bottom line - the things you are doing are causing you problems. Since you have zero control over anything in this world other than yourself - DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

What problems does JM have? What problems are truly being caused by JM?

If A&M wins 10-12 games this yr will these perceived problems still exist?

steelbtexan
07-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Does this sound like we're talking about someone who doesn't care what other people think?

It sure does.

All he wants to do is hang out with his friends and do what they do. Whether people like it or not that's what he's going to do.

That and win football games. Something that teams he plays on seem to do quite often.

steelbtexan
07-30-2013, 11:47 PM
His dad and mom wanted to get plates for their car that had JFF Dad and JFF Mom . They should be the adults for Johnny and keep him grounded but instead they fund him to travel the world and act the fool . He should marry one of those gymnast girls who's parents ruined them .

Having been around youth sports with two sons , there were other kids who could have been like that if they hit it big . Johnny just happens to be the one who hit it .

If Johnny gets drafted , I wonder if his dad is going to want to go to all the practices and handle all of his affairs ?

I wish my mom and dad were like that back in the day. LOL

steelbtexan
07-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Not defending Mack Brown as he clearly has issues, but just sayin'. I also don't recall Luck and RGIII walking onto the Texas campus and practically begging Brown to recruit them.

Sure, I am open to the possibility that Mack was just being Mack, however maybe Manziel's reputation and issues played into the decision to not touch him.

Yep,

Mack has done a wonderful job recruiting QB's

It's why A&M has pased UT in the recruiting game.

Mack never recruits problem guys, Kindle/Benson, that Wells/Jones guys that got kicked out of school for robbing a convience store.

Mack would have passed on a heisman trophy winning QB because he parties too much, like Simms/Applewhite/VY didn't put in their time on 6th street.

ChampionTexan
07-30-2013, 11:58 PM
It sure does.

All he wants to do is hang out with his friends and do what they do. Whether people like it or not that's what he's going to do.

That and win football games. Something that teams he plays on seem to do quite often.

So his father worrying that he's going to "come unraveled" and that he'll end up viewing jail-time as preferable to the current circumstances makes you think he's not bothered by the attention he's getting?

steelbtexan
07-31-2013, 07:44 AM
So his father worrying that he's going to "come unraveled" and that he'll end up viewing jail-time as preferable to the current circumstances makes you think he's not bothered by the attention he's getting?

His fathers statements tell me he wishes he never would've gone to A&M. Sorry Aggie fans

Stemp
07-31-2013, 08:00 AM
His fathers statements tell me he wishes he never would've gone to A&M. Sorry Aggie fans

His fathers statements show he didn't show his son how to grow up and be a man. He's a whiny b*tch who looks for the spotlight by granting these interviews and then complains about all the attention and scrutiny. How does a father who is worried about his son drinking proceed to buy him beer?

With the way Mack brown has show to coddle his players maybe you are right that he'd do better in Austin. Then he'd meltdown as a pro with no chance of redemption instead of learning to grow up in college.

steelbtexan
07-31-2013, 08:06 AM
His fathers statements show he didn't show his son how to grow up and be a man. He's a whiny b*tch who looks for the spotlight by granting these interviews and then complains about all the attention and scrutiny. How does a father who is worried about his son drinking proceed to buy him beer?

With the way Mack brown has show to coddle his players maybe you are right that he'd do better in Austin. Then he'd meltdown as a pro with no chance of redemption instead of in college.

Agreed,

If he wins all of this will be a moot point.

Nobody seems to be able to answer

A. What JM is doing differently this offseason from last offseason, and all he did was win a Heisman?
B. Who is he really harming?

htownfan32
08-03-2013, 10:17 PM

Who cares? As long as he wins us a natty I don't care if he gets a longhorn tattooed on his nutsack.

SW H-TOWN
08-04-2013, 12:38 PM
After reading this article I am convinced that there is no way he returns to A&M after next season. Best article I have read in a long while.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

gg no re
08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Who cares? As long as he wins us a natty I don't care if he gets a longhorn tattooed on his nutsack.At this rate, chances are he'll win a six pack of natty.

Stemp
08-04-2013, 02:04 PM
After reading this article I am convinced that there is no way he returns to A&M after next season. Best article I have read in a long while.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

That's the article I'm talking about. His dad comes off as a whiny b*tch.

The SI article in this week's issue is very good.

Wolf
08-04-2013, 05:03 PM
NCAA investigating on if manziel got paid for signing autographs..per tv

Wolf
08-04-2013, 05:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9537999/otl-ncaa-investigating-johnny-manziel-profiting-autographs&ex_cid=sportscenter

htownfan32
08-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Wow...
So, Matt Davis, anyone?

Stemp
08-04-2013, 07:09 PM

NCAA has been investigating for months.

Texn4life
08-04-2013, 07:10 PM
If there is no contract and the NCAA can't produce a copy of a check then I doubt you'll see anything come from this. They have to prove money changed hands.

dc_txtech
08-04-2013, 07:40 PM
If there is no contract and the NCAA can't produce a copy of a check then I doubt you'll see anything come from this. They have to prove money changed hands.

Or if anybody happened to have a cell phone.

Texn4life
08-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Or if anybody happened to have a cell phone.

They would need to produce pictures of a contract, and check or the broker handing Manziel money. Pictures of him signing autographs isn't enough. Since this investigation has been going on since June I doubt those things exist.

Rey
08-04-2013, 07:56 PM
That sucks for manziel. NCAA has been known to make some questionable decisions:

"My hard evidence and common sense and logic from 30-plus years of practice tells me (the NCAA's decision) is not supported by sound, reliable information and documentation," he said. "We were able to document that all these players had worked the hours that they had said. Even if we were to concede where there might be holes, less than five hours are in dispute. That takes them under 100 bucks. In DeVier Posey's situation, (the NCAA) just absolutely disregarded evidence that any person with common sense would accept. Why they did it, I do not know."

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=7073025&src=desktop

Doesn't seem like they are 100% forthcoming with exactly why and what goes into their decisions. Or maybe they are and posey's lawyer just doing his lawyer thing.

Texn4life
08-04-2013, 08:05 PM
The broker in question could always sell Manziel out too. If he hasn't done it by now though I doubt that's gonna happen. Money does talk though so if a booster from another rival school chucks a little change his way he could possibly sing like a bird.

Stemp
08-04-2013, 08:30 PM
The broker in question could always sell Manziel out too. If he hasn't done it by now though I doubt that's gonna happen. Money does talk though so if a booster from another rival school chucks a little change his way he could possibly sing like a bird.

If the broker sells out Manziel and he becomes ineligible,then his "investment" goes to crap. That's why I find it hard to believe that someone would be so brazen as to do this in public view.

htownfan32
08-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Sigh. I'm just waiting for the season to begin. Hopefully all this offseason crap will die down by then.

Manziel or no, I'll be up in the stands at Kyle participating in the yells twice as loud this season.

Texn4life
08-04-2013, 08:44 PM
If the broker sells out Manziel and he becomes ineligible,then his "investment" goes to crap. That's why I find it hard to believe that someone would be so brazen as to do this in public view.

I agree with you. Just throwing out possible scenarios. The way boosters operate though I can see someone trying to throw a crapload of money at him to snitch.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2013, 10:21 PM
A sprinkle of the sleaze factor is not going to make this any better.......

Drew Tieman is the Alleged Autograph Broker for Johnny Manziel

Sun, Aug 4 - 7:44 pm EDT | 3 mins ago by Stephen Kersey

It looks like Johnny Manziel could be in major trouble. Part of the blame could lie with an alleged autograph broker who lives in the state of Florida. His name is Drew Tieman and he appears to have past arrests on his rap sheet — mostly drug related.

Scroll down to see 6 pictures of Drew Tieman, who reportedly paid Johnny Football more than $10,000 to sign memorabilia.

If he’s found guilty by the NCAA, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner could be suspended for a long, long time. Missing the entire 2013 college football season for Texas A&M isn’t out of the question. And the broker could also find himself in more hot water.

Here are the aforementioned images — be sure you click “Next” to view all six. Included is a suspicious shot with none other than Manti Te’o!

The Rest (http://www.everyjoe.com/2013/08/04/sports/drew-tieman-photos-johnny-manziel-autograph-broker-florida/#ixzz2b3pHSGnb)

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Could find no record of this "broker" mentioned anywhere in association with brokering for any other players.........or for that matter, in any other context of "brokering."

Makes one think that this could turn out to basically having been planned as a one-on-one profit-splitting scheme from the beginning.

houstonspartan
08-04-2013, 10:43 PM
We need to understand something about the Manziel family. They are not merely wealthy. They are filthy, astonishing, rich. They have Texas oil money, and when we're talking Texas oil money, we are talking about billions and billions of dollars that lasts for generations, and will likely never run out. Ever.

Johnny likely doesn't care because he likely has a trust in which he'll eventually inherit $100 million or so in a few years. He he doesn't care if he makes it in the NFL because he'll still be a rich douche that can do whatever he wants. AND, he'll be able to be a multi-millionare without putting his body through a career as an athlete. The guy is a lazy, entitled douche, and doesn't care about anyone else.

It's sad, but, it's probably how he thinks.

CloakNNNdagger
08-04-2013, 10:52 PM
We need to understand something about the Manziel family. They are not merely wealthy. They are filthy, astonishing, rich. They have Texas oil money, and when we're talking Texas oil money, we are talking about billions and billions of dollars that lasts for generations, and will likely never run out. Ever.

Johnny likely doesn't care because he likely has a trust in which he'll eventually inherit $100 million or so in a few years. He he doesn't care if he makes it in the NFL because he'll still be a rich douche that can do whatever he wants. AND, he'll be able to be a multi-millionare without putting his body through a career as an athlete. The guy is a lazy, entitled douche, and doesn't care about anyone else.

That's very much as I see it.

He's the type of person who can have millions, but go for a 5 figure shady deal............or shoplift a 1 figure item..........just to say he did.........and got away with it.

Rey
08-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Manziel stuff all on ESPN

Rey
08-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Tamu better start getting Davis ready.

This isn't going to end well for manziel.

Texn4life
08-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Tamu better start getting Davis ready.

This isn't going to end well for manziel.

Davis isn't even the backup right now. Joeckel's little brother is the number 2 behind Johnny at the moment. A&M is screwed with either one at QB though. Joeckel's the more polished passer at this point so he'll probably get the nod if they need someone. I'm going to say that Manziel doesn't miss any time though. It wasn't a very well kept secret that Lache Seastrunk got paid during his recruitment a few years ago, but the NCAA could never prove it. I think that's ultimately what's gonna happen here.

Rey
08-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Davis isn't even the backup right now. Joeckel's little brother is the number 2 behind Johnny right now. A&M is screwed with either one at QB though. Joeckel's the more polished passer at this point so he'll probably get the nod if they need someone. I'm going to say that Manziel doesn't miss any time though. It wasn't a very well kept secret that Lache Seastrunk got paid during his recruitment a few years ago, but the NCAA could never prove it. I think that's ultimately what's gonna happen here.

I think manziel is too high profile. I think they are going to keep fishing until they get something.

Regarding the back up situation...he'll if I know. I just know them from the video game and Davis is pretty nice on there...lol

Txn_in_Oki
08-05-2013, 12:07 AM
Wow. This kid has been getting a beat down since he won the Heisman.

Amazing how the media builds an athlete or celebrity up only to gleefully yank the carpet out from under them the first chance they get.

The NCAA and college football are some of the biggest crooks out there. To make millions upon million of dollars on these kids efforts and to suspend them for selling jerseys or autographs is ridiculous.

Rey
08-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Wow. This kid has been getting a beat down since he won the Heisman.

Amazing how the media builds an athlete or celebrity up only to gleefully yank the carpet out from under them the first chance they get.

The NCAA and college football are some of the biggest crooks out there. To make millions upon million of dollars on these kids efforts and to suspend them for selling jerseys or autographs is ridiculous.

I agree with all of that.

I think the NCAA is full of **** especially.

The1ApplePie
08-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Does A&M just suck at covering this kind of stuff up? UT, USC, the U, LSU, Bama, etc seem to at least protect their guys until they get out of the college ranks.

The NCAA's random enforcement of their rules is what has made them a joke.

Playoffs
08-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Who plays more games this season: Alex Rodriguez or Johnny Manziel?

Stemp
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
As more info comes out, it looks like his buddy/personal assistant Nate is the one who said manziel will need to be paid for any autograph sessions. It's possible though unlikely that if payment was made nate is the one who is getting the cash and was using manziel and thinking he found a loophole and manziel never saw a dime.

Nate is the guy who said the racial slur that got Johnny into the fight a year ago.

<sigh> why do these guys put themselves in the hands of their buddies who don't know what the hell they are doing??

PapaL
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

At this rate it's going to be a push; 0.

NCAA is stupid slow at processing these things. I'd expect he plays this years and they suspend him after the fact. That seems to be their thing.

Blake
08-05-2013, 01:43 PM
As more info comes out, it looks like his buddy/personal assistant Nate is the one who said manziel will need to be paid for any autograph sessions. It's possible though unlikely that if payment was made nate is the one who is getting the cash and was using manziel and thinking he found a loophole and manziel never saw a dime.

Nate is the guy who said the racial slur that got Johnny into the fight a year ago.

<sigh> why do these guys put themselves in the hands of their buddies who don't know what the hell they are doing??

Manziel can do no wrong in your eyes eh? Oh yeah, it had to be his buddy's idea, because Manziel isnt smart enough to hatch a scheme where his buddy is the fence.

Rey
08-05-2013, 02:17 PM

Why do you keep trying to make excuses for his actions?

I mean, I get that you're an A&M guy but can you not take a logical look at Manziel?

I've seen parents that view their kids with less bias.

You have blamed everyone except Manziel for any trouble/drama he's gotten into. The media, his parents, his money, peoples perception of hi, his friend, fans, haters....

Are you his publicist?

The kid has some things he needs to work on. He's young, hopefully he gets it figured out.

Stemp
08-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Manziel can do no wrong in your eyes eh? Oh yeah, it had to be his buddy's idea, because Manziel isnt smart enough to hatch a scheme where his buddy is the fence.

What part of "though unlikely" did you just either miss or completely ignore??

Manziel's a smart guy and IF this happened and he's guilty, it's on him.
Plus, he let his buddy who already got him in trouble to run point and speak for him with people. Not a smart move.

But what do we know for sure? That he signed a bunch of stuff, that the NCAA has been looking into this for 3 months, though ESPN waited till the day before camp opens to break the story, that "unnamed sources" have said his buddy/PA told them that there will be no more free autograph sessions and that no one has said or given any proof that Manziel accepted payment for autographs.

An wrongdoing is simply speculation at this point and no witness has said he did anything the wrong. Every piece of this story is speculation other than the fact that the NCAA is investigating and that he signed stuff.

Stemp
08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Why do you keep trying to make excuses for his actions?

I mean, I get that you're an A&M guy but can you not take a logical look at Manziel?

I've seen parents that view their kids with less bias.

You have blamed everyone except Manziel for any trouble/drama he's gotten into. The media, his parents, his money, peoples perception of hi, his friend, fans, haters....

Are you his publicist?

The kid has some things he needs to work on. He's young, hopefully he gets it figured out.

Oh his parents are for sure culpable in whatever comes of this. How they could allow/enable their son to do some of this stuff is beyond me. Especially allowing a buddy who has already gotten him into trouble to be his personal assistant and manage much of his life outside of football. That is just DUMB.

silvrhand
08-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Oh his parents are for sure culpable in whatever comes of this. How they could allow/enable their son to do some of this stuff is beyond me. Especially allowing a buddy who has already gotten him into trouble to be his personal assistant and manage much of his life outside of football. That is just DUMB.

Because he's 18+ and he can in reality do what he wants when he wants, if he so desires. His parents really have no claim on him at this point if they really tried to enforce it, you'll only end up in a bad spot.

Rey
08-05-2013, 04:04 PM

I'm not going to say that his parents don't shoulder some blame. They raised him. I have no idea what kind of parents they were though.

What I want to know is this: Manziel is 20 years old...At what point does a string of questionable behavior and possible mistakes get squarely placed on his decision making?

If this was VY, how would you feel about it? Do we care that VY grew up in a tough situation and struggled with things when we ridicule him?

At some point, everybody has got to be their own man/woman. He needs to look in the mirror and ask himself if he's doing anything to bring this drama in his life.

Stemp
08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Because he's 18+ and he can in reality do what he wants when he wants, if he so desires. His parents really have no claim on him at this point if they really tried to enforce it, you'll only end up in a bad spot.

Not entirely true. They fund much of his lifestyle and he leans on them a lot.
They could manage him better and have a greater say but they appear to be enablers more than anything.

If someone raises a spoiled child, who is responsible when they continue to act as they were raised as they become adults??

And how do you teach them to be responsible and learn the lessons many of us did as children when the stakes weren't so high?

He definitely need to stop being a 20 year old kid and grow up, but I don't think he knows how and his parents and friends who would normally be the ones offering guidance are certainly not helping.

Texian
08-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Don't care how much money you have. After reading all the latest articles it is clear to see that this Manziel apple didn't fall far from the tree. I doubt Johnny sees September as the Aggies QB and Mom & Dad will be blaming Texas A&M and many more for Johnny's self destruction and fall from grace.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Not entirely true. They fund much of his lifestyle and he leans on them a lot.
They could manage him better and have a greater say but they appear to be enablers more than anything.

If someone raises a spoiled child, who is responsible when they continue to act as they were raised as they become adults??

And how do you teach them to be responsible and learn the lessons many of us did as children when the stakes weren't so high?

He definitely need to stop being a 20 year old kid and grow up, but I don't think he knows how and his parents and friends who would normally be the ones offering guidance are certainly not helping.

I've always told my kids, if you don't learn your life's lessons while you are at home, you will likely learn your lessons through your principal, your boss, the police, or the judge.

CloakNNNdagger
08-05-2013, 06:11 PM
I would hate to be A&M's HC 1 month before the season.........and not knowing squat......:kitten:

htownfan32
08-05-2013, 06:13 PM
I would hate to be A&M's HC 1 month before the season.........and not knowing squat......:kitten:

I believe in Sumlin. If Manziel does get suspended, I sincerely hope everyone who called him a system QB was right :D
If not... well, we're going to have to do something as far as our offense is concerned, because the defense isn't going to win us any games. Too much inexperience.

Stemp
08-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Ok, now this certainly throws in an interesting twist.....

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/BMATT247-Coincidence-or-not-142424

TEXANRED
08-05-2013, 11:00 PM
I am starting to smell a David Carr part Duex coming out of Aggie land. Manziel's family will be his undoing.

Texn4life
08-05-2013, 11:19 PM

Its very Bill Belichickian of him........ Sumlin said all the right things today in my opinion. His job is to deflect while the powers that be handle things behind the scenes.

CloakNNNdagger
08-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Manziel memorabilia 'all over the place' at national convention (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/23027223/manziel-memorabilia-all-over-the-place-at-national-convention)
August 5, 2013 6:14 pm ET

As Johnny Manziel faces potential eligibility concerns over whether he received money for signing autographs, his presence was prevalent at a Chicago-area autograph convention last week.

Several different autograph dealers were selling stacks of Manziel autographed 8x10 and 11x14 photos accompanied with a Professional Sports Authenticator, a rep with an autograph business attending a National Sports Collectors Convention told CBSSports.com.

Autographs for several high-profile college athletes are currently on eBay, not just Manziel. But the Manziel photos were packaged as if they came from scheduled signings with vendors, the rep said, with the signature in the same place on each photo. Manziel memorabilia was "all over the place" during the convention in Rosemont, Ill., that ended Sunday.

“It's rare for this quantity and quality to be out there (from a college athlete),” said the rep, who spoke on condition of anonymity and whose company has been in the autograph business for more than a decade. “At these shows if we see one or two signatures from guys still in school they could have been signed in person with no compensation. There were a number of different dealers at this show all with stacks of (Manziel) photos, all certified as if they came out of a signing. I've really never seen that from a guy still in school.”

To be sure, it's unclear whether Manziel directly has received compensation for his autographs while at A&M. On Sunday, ESPN reported Manziel agreed to sign memorabilia in exchange for a five-figure flat fee while in Miami for the national title game in January.

An autograph broker from the Southeast on Monday told ESPN that Manziel's friend/personal assistant Nate Fitch said Manziel would not be signing autographs for free after signing about 250 items during the season.

Manziel is expected to practice with A&M this month but was not available to the media as the Aggies opened camp Monday. Coach Kevin Sumlin said his staff found out about the investigation Sunday and that A&M is gathering facts.

The NCAA likely will be looking for a paper trail from a dealer to Manziel, but according to a sports attorney with knowledge of the NCAA's investigations, the enforcement staff can build a case with circumstantial evidence since the NCAA's standard of proof is not the same as a criminal standard.

Stemp
08-06-2013, 12:25 PM
It actually makes sense somewhat for him to sign a bunch of stuff for free.
The more stuff out there, the less all the stuff is worth. So if he floods the market with valid memorabilia, those people will make less and less from what they have.

The trick with the NCAA is that they really do have to prove he accepted money. And if they rule him inelilgble for the year, he will likely immediately join the OBannion lawsuit and the NCAA would be in deep doo doo. With Manziel, they can show how much money the NCAA is making and keeping from athletes and it's a high probability they lose the lawsuit and millions if not billions of dollars.

The NCAA is probably going to tread lightly with Manziel in all likelyhood. Don't be surprised if A&M offers a 2 game suspension plus Manziel paying back the money (assuming he did it) and the NCAA accepting it.

Blake
08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9544137/broker-says-johnny-manziel-took-7500-autographing-helmets

On the videos, which the broker said were recorded without Manziel's knowledge, ESPN heard Manziel say "you never did a signing with me" and that if the broker were to tell anyone, he would refuse to deal with him again in the future. Manziel, who appeared comfortable throughout the video recordings, also said if asked, he would say he had simply been approached by various autograph seekers.
At one point, ESPN heard a broker ask Manziel if he would take additional cash to sign with special inscriptions, but Manziel declined, indicating he had done that before and it led to questions. The video does not show Manziel accepting cash, which the broker alleges happened three times. The broker told ESPN Manziel said he wanted money for new rims for his vehicle.

Texn4life
08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Now another broker has come forward saying he paid JM $7500 on 3 different occasions for signings and has video of him signing. Still no record of cash being given, but this isn't good.

Here's my problem with Manziel and his dad. They gave an interview talking about how everyone was profiting off of JM except him. But some of these incidents are alleged to have happened before Johnny even won the Heisman and the Aggies were even pushing Manziel to everyone. Selfish dude and a lying phony if he's doing all this crying about not making money while making money.

These guys are exploited somewhat, but everyone knows the rules. Just rule him ineligible and move on at this point.

Rey
08-06-2013, 02:08 PM
Now another broker has come forward saying he paid JM $7500 on 3 different occasions for signings and has video of him signing. Still no record of cash being given, but this isn't good.

Here's my problem with Manziel and his dad. They gave an interview talking about how everyone was profiting off of JM except him. But some of these incidents are alleged to have happened before Johnny even won the Heisman and the Aggies were even pushing Manziel to everyone. Selfish dude and a lying phony if he's doing all this crying about not making money while making money.

These guys are exploited somewhat, but everyone knows the rules. Just rule him ineligible and move on at this point.

Might have been him rationalizing what he was allegedly doing.

Texn4life
08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
One other problem A&M has is that it might have to vacate wins from last year. If Johnny was getting paid during the season for signings then its not just as simple as him being ruled ineligible for this coming season. Damn I hate this for the rest of those kids at the school. Its really not fair to them at all.

Texian
08-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Toast

Rey
08-06-2013, 03:21 PM
The NCAA is probably going to tread lightly with Manziel in all likelyhood. Don't be surprised if A&M offers a 2 game suspension plus Manziel paying back the money (assuming he did it) and the NCAA accepting it.

Come on Stemp...

That's not happening. If Manziel is found to have taken money, the NCAA is not going to allow A&M to impose a meager 2 game suspension and just have him give the money back.

He likely won't be playing for A&M anymore if any of this is true.

Honoring Earl 34
08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
The Johnny Football Saga now on DVD .

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_myX5Q4qMDhY/SpQNhCoChvI/AAAAAAAACz8/brPdXrNee8s/s400/fear_and_loathing_in_las_vegas.jpg

Stemp
08-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Come on Stemp...

That's not happening. If Manziel is found to have taken money, the NCAA is not going to allow A&M to impose a meager 2 game suspension and just have him give the money back.

He likely won't be playing for A&M anymore if any of this is true.

That's a big if. There is still no proof he did anything wrong (esn doesn't even have the video) and the "accusers" who are basically scum are refusing to talk to the NCAA or go on the record.

And yes, manziel joining the obannon lawsuit is a big deal. If the rule him ineligible he has nothin stopping him from joining it and the NCAA is even closer to losing a lot of their cash flow considering how proven his value is.

Texn4life
08-06-2013, 05:23 PM
That's a big if. There is still no proof he did anything wrong (esn doesn't even have the video) and the "accusers" who are basically scum are refusing to talk to the NCAA or go on the record.

And yes, manziel joining the obannon lawsuit is a big deal. If the rule him ineligible he has nothin stopping him from joining it and the NCAA is even closer to losing a lot of their cash flow considering how proven his value is.

As dumb as Manziel has been during the last year I really think its only a matter of time before proof is provided that he was paid. Dumbest smart college player I've seen in a long, long time and I'm a fan of his on the field.

Wolf
08-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Desmond Howard has his own issues with memorabilia

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--as-johnny-football-is-involved-in-a-flap-related-to-photos---heisman--howard-is-embroiled-in-a-photo-fight-of-his-own-153910354.html

Wolf
08-06-2013, 06:09 PM
NCAA Suspended its search option when shopping Their site
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1729574-espns-jay-bilas-trolled-ncaa-into-suspending-their-shopping-cart-search-option?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Ole Miss Texan
08-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I have several questions regarding this Manziel situation. here's a few:

1) supposedly he signed in Miami around the national championship timeframe where he received a 5-figure fee. One source said he signed once before the game and came back after for a second round. Other source says it was just once.

2) supposedly there's a separate event with a different broker in Connecticut where he received $7,500 and signed memorabilia 3 seperate times during January 11-12th timeframe.

3) supposedly he spoke with A&M's compliance department (unknown date?) and expressed he has never signed memorabilia to anyone with the expressed interest of selling said signatures for profit. Ie regardless of any few paid to Manziel... That he didn't sign period.

So I'm wondering if it comes to light to A&M that he did in fact sign autographs with a broker (even if Manziel didn't pocket any money), then he lied to A&M University Officials. A separate potential suspensible offense from the NCAA investigation.

Also wondering if NCAA does infact find sufficient proof he got paid from the brokers if, each time he signed (4-5 occurrences) would end up potentially being accounted for as separate offenses.

CloakNNNdagger
08-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Last week.

Johnny Manziel ‏@JManziel2 31 Jul
I ain't perfect, I ain't insane but I AM worth it...if there's one thing I am worth it. People keep hatin but it ain't WORKIN!

TexanSam
08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
This is Johnny Manziel's manager. A 20 year old kid who's not in college and who act's like he's, well, 20. Pictures and tweets in the article as well.

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/05/this-is-johnny-manziels-manager-uncle-nate/#photo=3

If you’ve been following the Johnny Manziel saga, you know of a shadowy figure known as Uncle Nate (UncleNateFitch – Instagram). You might remember the name from last week’s Wright Thompson piece where Paul Manziel, Johnny’s father, says that the family hired Nate Fitch, a college student, to be Johnny’s manager.

It was also mentioned that Uncle Nate dropped out of college to become Manziel’s manager. It should also be noted that Uncle Nate is one of Johnny’s best bros.

That’s right, the Manziels hired one of Johnny’s best bros to be his manager and be responsible for a Heisman Trophy winner who might have a drinking problem (his father’s words) and likes to be 20. As for Uncle Nate, he drives expensive cars, wears Rolex watches & ladies love him.

So it should come as no surprise that Uncle Nate was allegedly in a hotel room with Johnny Pageviews over BCS weekend where Pageviews allegedly signed numerous autographs for a dealer, according to ESPN.

chicagotexan2
08-06-2013, 10:34 PM

I coukdnt care less about silly instagram pics and tweets from a twit. thats what people do, big deal but this signing autographs for cash is just such a dumb move. i don't think jm is lazy but I do think he feels he's untouchable. That's the only way I can come up with a legit reason why he would risk so much for so little. I mean If he wasnt wealthy and if he really needed the money I'd see why he'd sign for cash. But he's well off. Good for him and his family but if he did this it is idiotic.

Rey
08-06-2013, 11:20 PM
http://lubbockonline.com/stories/100...075-4584.shtml

Businessman indicted on cocaine trafficking charges
Published: Thursday, October 03, 2002

TYLER (AP) — An East Texas businessman who owns a concert hall was free on bond Thursday after he was indicted on cocaine trafficking charges.

Bobby Joe Manziel's Oil Palace in Tyler has been a venue for rock and country acts such as Don Henley, George Jones and Merle Haggard.

Manziel, 63, was arrested Wednesday by FBI agents at his downtown office after a federal grand jury handed up a two-count indictment. The businessman and Jimmy Stanton of Red Oak are charged with one count of conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute and distribution of 500 grams to 5 kilograms of cocaine.

A second count accuses the pair of aiding and abetting each other in the actual possession with intent to distribute and distribution of the drug, said U.S. Attorney Matthew Orwig.

Manziel's bond was set at $100,000 by U.S. Magistrate Judge Harry W. McKee. The businessman was later released and faced arraignment at 10 a.m. Friday. A pretrial hearing was also set for Nov. 12 before U.S. District Judge Leonard Davis.

Each defendant, if convicted, faces a prison sentence of up to 40 years and a fine up to $2 million on each count.

According to the indictment, Manziel used or intended to use his residence and surrounding property as well as his 2002 Chevrolet truck to commit or facilitate the drug offenses.

Ok, this was 10 years ago. Something isn't right with the manziel family. Seems like for a family of wealthy people they do and say some wacky stuff.

It just seems strange for manziels dad to be complaining or even mentioning a&m exploiting his son for money. I get he is a big star now...

But if I'm rich AND my son is going to school for free, he's turned into a big star...the last thing I'm going to be worried about is the school "exploiting" him. At least I wouldn't be talking about it in the context that he did.

And then you have bobby joe manziel selling drugs. Or allegedly going to sell drugs.

And you have johnny supposedly selling autographs. Are they filthy rich or not? Because that seems like odd behavior for people with legit money unless they are really built on crime, feel supremely entitled, not very bright, or not as rich as we're lead to believe.

Stemp
08-07-2013, 11:03 AM
This is gonna get messy and the NCAA is going to be in a sticky spot.
That OBannon lawsuit is looming larger and larger.

SB Nation is reporting that PSA has records of 258 consecutively signed Clowney items in its database.

I’m sorry South Carolina fan.

It’s not like I wanted to drag Jadeveon Clowney’s name into the Johnny Manziel autograph mess, but your stud has 19 autographed items for sale by a dealer who is selling numerous Johnny Football autographs.

Top-rated seller the_hub_collectibles has 100% feedback and has been an eBay member since 1998. This dealer has 19 Manziel items currently for sale, including multiple helmets and footballs. Most of the 19 Clowney items are personalized with “Go Cocks.”

All of the items are certified from PSA/DNA.

Teddy Bridgewater is a nice guy, too (via @AggieZach10). Who wants non-personalized items?

http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/picture-51.jpg?w=568&h=547
http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/9456796645_664502ed82_c.jpg?w=588&h=418
http://coedbc.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/picture-19.jpg?w=562&h=478

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/08/07/johnny-manziel-autograph-dealer-has-19-jadeveon-clowney-items-on-ebay/

Stemp
08-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Oh man... this just gets stickier.

The "broker" accusing Manziel of accepting money is also a drug dealer.

There are 3 brokers now that have been involved with getting Johnny Manziel to sign autographs for them, but the main one who is accusing Johnny of accepting cash & videotaping him giving questionable answers is Drew Tieman. Go ahead & search for him on Facebook. You won’t find him. He has deleted his page, but we saved it before he did:

He lists former Miami Hurricane football players Sinorice Moss & Kenny Phillips as two of his favorite athletes. Some of his “likes” include “NBA on TNT,” the Miami Dolphins, Shaq, Drake, & “Tebow crying.” He also likes “SportsCenter,” As you will see further in this article, his favorite TV shows & movies are all mob/drug dealer related, as he mimics the likes of “The Sopranos,” “The Wire,” “Scarface,” & “Goodfellas.” We got a true cliche poser on our hands here….
http://newsball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/drew-tieman-manti-teo.jpg
Aside from his current role of trying to derail young Johnny Manziel’s college career by making him ineligible to defend his Heisman title, he has a knack for marijuana arrests. Not your normal little bit of weed type of arrest, rather, not only possession of over 20 grams, but distribution too making Mr Tieman a weed dealer to go along with his sports memorabilia dealing
& at least 3 car crashes involving $40,000 of damage:
http://newsball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/TiemanCriminal.jpghttp://newsball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mugshot2tieman.jpg
http://newsball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/mugshot1tieman.jpg

http://newsball.com/drew-tieman-is-the-broker-accusing-johnny-manziel/

Pollardized
08-07-2013, 04:19 PM
"Report: Brokers might have ‘ax to grind’ against Manziel, family"

"The question many have wondered since ESPN revealed the NCAA is investigating Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel might now have been at least partially answered: What might prompt anonymous memorabilia brokers to come forward with stories that Manziel took money for autographs? What do they have to gain? Nothing, apparently, but some might hold a grudge toward Manziel and his family for allegedly cutting into their business."

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/08/report-brokers-might-have-ax-to-grind-against-manziel-family-2/?cmpid=hpts

gg no re
08-07-2013, 05:33 PM
I want this turned into a TV show. This is just too good.

houstonspartan
08-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Ok, this was 10 years ago. Something isn't right with the manziel family. Seems like for a family of wealthy people they do and say some wacky stuff.

It just seems strange for manziels dad to be complaining or even mentioning a&m exploiting his son for money. I get he is a big star now...

But if I'm rich AND my son is going to school for free, he's turned into a big star...the last thing I'm going to be worried about is the school "exploiting" him. At least I wouldn't be talking about it in the context that he did.

And then you have bobby joe manziel selling drugs. Or allegedly going to sell drugs.

And you have johnny supposedly selling autographs. Are they filthy rich or not? Because that seems like odd behavior for people with legit money unless they are really built on crime, feel supremely entitled, not very bright, or not as rich as we're lead to believe.

They're filthy rich. But let's not assume that money is the only motivation for doing strange things. A lot of very wealthy people just have strange eccentricities, and do things just for the heck of it. A lot of them simply do things because they can. When you have everything handled to you, the lines of what is "normal" and what is not is blurred.

Aaron Henandez was a multi-millionaire, and yet he could not leave his thug life behind. Why? He didn't need the money.

Let's not assume that rich people have it all together. A lot of them don't.

CloakNNNdagger
08-07-2013, 06:53 PM
They're filthy rich. But let's not assume that money is the only motivation for doing strange things. A lot of very wealthy people just have strange eccentricities, and do things just for the heck of it. A lot of them simply do things because they can. When you have everything handled to you, the lines of what is "normal" and what is not is blurred.

Aaron Henandez was a multi-millionaire, and yet he could not leave his thug life behind. Why? He didn't need the money.

Let's not assume that rich people have it all together. A lot of them don't.

I rese......mble that remark - Lindsay Lohan

djohn2oo8
08-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Six sources and counting say Nate Fitch ran Manziel autograph business

http://fansided.com/2013/08/08/multiple-sources-say-uncle-nate-ran-johnny-manziel-autograph-business/

2012Champs
08-08-2013, 01:52 PM

http://fansided.com/2013/08/08/multiple-sources-say-uncle-nate-ran-johnny-manziel-autograph-business/

Im pretty sure Johnny posted that picture himself on twitter after "winning" money at a casino in Oklahoma

Stemp
08-08-2013, 02:00 PM

And not a single one is willing to step forward and go on the record.
Most of these dealers are scumbags to begin with and everything to date has been from anonymous sources involved in questionable practices.

This who scandel might be true but at this point all the "reports" Are just unconfirmed accusations that frankly anyone can make anything.

I mean seriously. I could put up a bunch of fake memobilia on eBay, call one of these guys and claim some big named player accepted money from me for autographs and they would probably run with it. They've admitted they don't independently verify the accusations nor do they have any actual proof.

Espn is becoming the tmz of sports news.

Say Watt
08-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Most of these dealers are scumbags to begin with and everything to date has been from anonymous sources involved in questionable practices.

This who scandel might be true but at this point all the "reports" Are just unconfirmed accusations that frankly anyone can make anything.

I mean seriously. I could put up a bunch of fake memobilia on eBay, call one of these guys and claim some big named player accepted money from me for autographs and they would probably run with it. They've admitted they don't independently verify the accusations nor do they have any actual proof.

Great post, but especially the bold.

I do tend to disagree slightly, as I think Johnny is dumb enough to have accepted money for autographs even though his family is loaded and he has never been in need of anything in his life. Just look at the company he keeps. If Johnny keeps hanging out with the Uncle Nates of the world, he is going nowhere but down.

Dan B.
08-08-2013, 03:51 PM

Do you think Schad just made up the contents of that video?

b0ng
08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
You mean ESPN, who has been doing their best to tear down Manziel during the off-season is doing that again?

Wake me up when something of actual substance happens, such as a press release from the NCAA or TAMU. Darren Rovell is a piece of crap "journalist" and I have no problem with not believing his "journalism".

And as far as the actual act of getting paid to sign some autographs, I say, so ****ing what. I didn't think Tattoogate or that Cam Newton stuff were any kinds of high crimes so why would I think this Manziel **** is any different?

Stemp
08-08-2013, 04:34 PM
Do you think Schad just made up the contents of that video?

Do you realize that Schad and Rovell (who are the drivers of this story) are some of the least respected members of the "media"? These guys are notorious for jumping to "report" a piece of gossip or an accusation and then when it comes out they were completely wrong just ignoring it and moving on. Even TMZ at least TRIES to get it right.

Schad has even said in interviews that he doesn't understand why people want to know his sources or whether they are trustworthy.

So yeah, I wouldn't put it past them to report things they "think" they heard and it come out later that it was not even close.

CloakNNNdagger
08-08-2013, 04:42 PM
TMZ has become one of those outlets that "gets it right" most of the time.

Dan B.
08-08-2013, 04:43 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bubble/homeimages/main.jpg

GlassHalfFull
08-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Good Bull Hunting Johnny Sig generator (http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/8/7/4596118/johnny-autograph-avatar-generator)

Some of the better efforts.

http://dcbl.org/sig/img/MACK.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3339/xowu.png

^^^AJ McCarron's Mom for those who are unfamiliar.

Stemp
08-08-2013, 05:11 PM

Which is sad when compared to these guys as espn.

GlassHalfFull
08-08-2013, 05:20 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/23070728/ncaa-to-exit-business-of-selling-school-related-online-items

This is a direct result of sites (i.e. Deadspin) pointing out the hypocrisy.

Note whose jersey is featured.

The NCAA will "exit" the business of selling player and school related memorabilia and apparel on its branded website, NCAA president Mark Emmert said Wednesday.

That site -- ShopNCAASports.com -- had come under fire this week for selling ... 1) jerseys identified by individual players, 2) the autograph of a player who was a central figure in NCAA case (Reggie Bush) and 3) Penn State videos of a game that had been vacated by the association in the Sandusky scandal.

2012Champs
08-08-2013, 05:24 PM

Yeah it's really a bad comparison as tmz hits the mark fairly regularly

Playoffs
08-08-2013, 07:54 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Wish I could claim this but I can't: Johnny Football as The Money Badger.

Dan B.
08-08-2013, 08:13 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL

I like "Johnny Cash" myself but both are pretty nice.

Stemp, I have a hard time seeing what complaining about ESPN, counting Clowney's autogaphs on EBay, or pointing out that autograph brokers are disreputable people is going to accomplish.

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" reported that the NCAA is investigating three different brokers' claims that Manziel traded thousands of autographs for at least $10,000. Was ESPN lying? Making it up? They then reported that one broker was in possession of a video in which Manziel tells the broker that if anyone asks, he was never there, that he was just signing items for individual fans, and he and the broker never met. He then said if the broker said anything he would never work with him again. Again, your explanation is "he made it all up?" Yet another reporter for ESPN is saying it's at least six different sources. He's making it up too I guess?

I don't believe you'd accept that argument for anyone else. If ESPN broke the news that the NCAA was investigating Javon Clowney would you accept the number of items from JFF on EBay as proof of innocence? Would you just say "Joe Schad and every other reporter there is a joke, nothing to see here..." Would you justify it because the NCAA's system exploits athletes?

Stemp
08-08-2013, 09:36 PM
I like "Johnny Cash" myself but both are pretty nice.

Stemp, I have a hard time seeing what complaining about ESPN, counting Clowney's autogaphs on EBay, or pointing out that autograph brokers are disreputable people is going to accomplish.

ESPN's "Outside the Lines" reported that the NCAA is investigating three different brokers' claims that Manziel traded thousands of autographs for at least $10,000. Was ESPN lying? Making it up? They then reported that one broker was in possession of a video in which Manziel tells the broker that if anyone asks, he was never there, that he was just signing items for individual fans, and he and the broker never met. He then said if the broker said anything he would never work with him again. Again, your explanation is "he made it all up?" Yet another reporter for ESPN is saying it's at least six different sources. He's making it up too I guess?

I don't believe you'd accept that argument for anyone else. If ESPN broke the news that the NCAA was investigating Javon Clowney would you accept the number of items from JFF on EBay as proof of innocence? Would you just say "Joe Schad and every other reporter there is a joke, nothing to see here..." Would you justify it because the NCAA's system exploits athletes?

Let's get all the facts out there....

- In 2012 the Manziels trademark "Johnny Football" and start shutting down people who are profiting using said trademark.
- As part of this process, eBay ends all the auctions and sales of anyone who used "Johnny Football" and goes further by banning many of those sellers for 2 weeks. Obviously this hurts the cash flow of many people who are profiting from college players.
- Rovell reports NCAA is investigating Manziel for accepting a "5 figure fee" ($10,000+) to sign memorabilia.
- 2 days later, Joe Schad is contacted by a "broker" that says Manziel accepted $7,500 and says he has videos showing him signing his memorabilia as is asking for $80K for the videos. These videos were made illegally in CT.
- Schad looks at the videos but they don't show any wrongdoing by Manziel and ESPN declines to purchase the videos. The guy says he's ok with talking to ESPN,but won't talk to the NCAA.
- Schad says in the video he hears the guy offer manziel money to personalize autographs and Manziel declines. No one knows what was actually said so all the descriptions are based on Schad's recollection and interpretation.
- ESPN pushes the narrative that there is a large amount of sequentially numbered authentications by various brokers and that is unique to Manziel items being offered.
- Reports surface that "broker" who spoke with Schad has many arrests against him including dealing drugs.
- Schad now says it has numerous brokers from across the country who say Manziel (or his buddy) accepted money for signatures.
- Reports surface that this broker among others have large amounts of signed items by many big name college players.
- Pictures start to surface from the other big name players signing large amounts of items.
- USC, Louisville and Ohio State say they have investigated and they all clear their players.
- Reports surface that the there are large amounts of sequentially numbered authentications for other college players,which counter ESPN's narrative that this was unique to Manziel.
- Reports surface that the various "brokers", including the one with the video are all connected to each other and they may have placed large bets on Alabama prior to coming forward to ESPN.
- There is still no evidence whatsoever that Manziel accepted money for signing.
- Every accusation made, except by the one arrested for dealing drugs, was made anonymously to ESPN by people in a very shady business and who refuse to speak on the record to anyone.

So what does this all boil down to? Johnny, Clowney, Bridgewater and others have signed large amounts of memorabilia which is being authenticated and sold by "brokers". Were they paid? Maybe but there is no evidence of it. And the accusations are being made by shady people, who may have a motive to screw over Manziel because of what happened on eBay and whose profession it is to get college players to somehow sign a bunch of stuff so they can sell it for a profit, which is against NCAA regulations.

If this were another school's player being targeted, I probably wouldn't care much and certainly wouldn't take as much interest. But yes, I would question Schad and Rovell since they have proven they have little, if any, journalistic integrity and I would question the accusations of shady brokers who hide behind anonymity and an illegally made video that no one can see and that the one person who has seen it says nothing on it shows any wrongdoing.

Stemp
08-08-2013, 09:45 PM
Ok, this is from a guy I know who is an A&M insider who runs one of the major A&M message boards (not TexAgs). What he says makes sense.

At this point, I have no idea what is fact, what is fiction, what is legal mumbo-jumbo, what is conspiracy, how many people do it, etc.

At this point, I think that's what all parties want. If the truth becomes confusing and fuzzy, all major parties have an out and win.

1) The organization on the hottest seat is the NCAA. They no more wanted to deal with this issue because of the pending lawsuits. They also don't want to see the most marketable player in college football sidelined, especially for the biggest game of the year. In addition, A&M and Manziel have lawyered up and the NCAA enforcement group have been decimated in recent months with defections. They simply don't have the resources or the expertise to deal with legal resources on the other side.

2) CBS wants Johnny to play in the Alabama game...period. They also want to see their competitor, ESPN, get negative publicity for this story.

3) ESPN's junior investigative reporter thought he was going to make his career with this story and he came out of the gates guns a-blazing. But the more this story lingers, the more the ESPN brass is wondering why they want to scuttle their biggest storyline of the year and where they will be on 9/14...the A&M-Alabama game. ESPN management doesn't seem to have the stomach to pursue this much longer.

4) A&M wants this to go away for so many obvious reasons, but it doesn't help that these questions have arisen during the Kyle Field capital campaign. Plus, from a sports standpoint, the football team and many other teams like basketball and baseball are bringing in a bunch of critical recruits for the big Alabama weekend. The weekend falls flat without manziel on the field.

5) The biggest invisible hand that we haven't talked about much is Mike Slive and the SEC Conference. If you don't think they aren't putting pressure on the NCAA and ESPN to drop this, then you under-estimate the power of Slive.

Bottomn line, whether you like what has happened or not...whether you believe Manziel is innocent or not...whether you think the college game has become too dirty and too commercial...people want to see the A&M-Alabama game with Manziel. THose that dislike Manziel want to see Alabama and Nick Saban get their revenge. Manziel fans want to see him show the naysayers and haters that he is still the magical playermaker and take down mighty Alabama again.

And thus, networks, advertisers, SEC conference officials, NFL scouts, and yes even the NCAA wants this game in all it's glory with Johnny Manziel participating.

Really, the only complication is that the NCAA needs a path to exit this investigation without looking inept and weak. They simply don't want to drop the investigation without any findings or closure. So that's why I'm assuming the lawyers in the room are discussing ways to end this saga quickly that gives Manziel back to Texas A&M and the college football industry while also making the NCAA look like an equal partner in the final resolution.

I don;t know what that is, because I'm not sure that a one game suspension solves the issues for the NCAA. I'm not sure Team Manziel will be agreeable to ANY suspension now that it looks like some of the brokers used to push this story have shown their own warts and don't look like credible "witnesses".

So for me, the only issue is what is the path of exit for the NCAA that doesn't make them look weak. I'm sure the lawyers will craft some "compromise" that is agreeable to all parties, and we will still get what we want....Alabama vs. Texas A&M with Johnny Manziel leading the Aggie offense.

Stemp
08-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Texan_Bill
08-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Meh........ While I believe it's all bull****, I also believe the NCAA is all about making money.

Have no mistake, Johnny Manziel will be under center for A&M this season.

When has the NCAA ever really moved fast during investigation?? (Again, money is involved).

That said, if the NCAA makes too big of a deal over this, doesn't it only turn the public's perception even more towards the fact that student athletes should be allowed to make a dollar off their likeness while the universities make millions???? This includes video games, no?

What about the customized jersey fiasco???

Dan B.
08-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Remember what I said about ESPN and Rovell?Apparently it came out today there is no active investigation by the NCAA nor any formal allegations.

http://www.kvia.com/news/el-paso-attorney-jim-darnell-has-history-of-taking-ncaa-cases-expects-johnny-manziel-to-start-in-game-1/-/391068/21396392/-/fmv2r1/-/index.html

"I can't say much," Darnell told USA TODAY Sports, "other than we're working through the process. He's cooperating with the investigation. We think when all this comes out on the other end, he'll be the starting quarterback for the Aggies against Rice."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/08/texas-am-johnny-manziel-family-hires-attorney-jim-darnell/2633405/

So the lawyer the Manziels hired "weeks ago" (ie before the ESPN story broke) because they weren't being investigated is saying that Manziel is cooperating with an investigation that doesn't exist?

Or is it that USA Today sports is biased and Greg Schroeder is making it all up?

steelbtexan
08-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Johnny Football appears to = Cam Newton.

If the NCAA profits no sanctions will be forthcoming.

However if the Horns fall to 2nd tier in recruiting you can bet the NCAA will come calling. Ask the Ponies how this will turn out.

steelbtexan
08-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Meh........ While I believe it's all bull****, I also believe the NCAA is all about making money.

Have no mistake, Johnny Manziel will be under center for A&M this season.

When has the NCAA ever really moved fast during investigation?? (Again, money is involved).

That said, if the NCAA makes too big of a deal over this, doesn't it only turn the public's perception even more towards the fact that student athletes should be allowed to make a dollar off their likeness while the universities make millions???? This includes video games, no?

What about the customized jersey fiasco???

Why didn't all of these A&M fans back Auburn during the Cam Newton investigation or the OSU Pryor/Posey investigation?

Homerism?

Stemp
08-08-2013, 11:15 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/08/texas-am-johnny-manziel-family-hires-attorney-jim-darnell/2633405/

So the lawyer the Manziels hired "weeks ago" (ie before the ESPN story broke) because they weren't being investigated is saying that Manziel is cooperating with an investigation that doesn't exist?

Or is it that USA Today sports is biased and Greg Schroeder is making it all up?

Yeah, I found out the lawyer was misquoted so I removed it.

Stemp
08-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Why didn't all of these A&M fans back Auburn during the Cam Newton investigation or the OSU Pryor/Posey investigation?

Homerism?

Because most didn't care.

GlassHalfFull
08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Let's get all the facts out there....

- In 2012 the Manziels trademark "Johnny Football" and start shutting down people who are profiting using said trademark.
- As part of this process, eBay ends all the auctions and sales of anyone who used "Johnny Football" and goes further by banning many of those sellers for 2 weeks. Obviously this hurts the cash flow of many people who are profiting from college players.
- Rovell reports NCAA is investigating Manziel for accepting a "5 figure fee" ($10,000+) to sign memorabilia.
- 2 days later, Joe Schad is contacted by a "broker" that says Manziel accepted $7,500 and says he has videos showing him signing his memorabilia as is asking for $80K for the videos. These videos were made illegally in CT.
- Schad looks at the videos but they don't show any wrongdoing by Manziel and ESPN declines to purchase the videos. The guy says he's ok with talking to ESPN,but won't talk to the NCAA.
- Schad says in the video he hears the guy offer manziel money to personalize autographs and Manziel declines. No one knows what was actually said so all the descriptions are based on Schad's recollection and interpretation.
- ESPN pushes the narrative that there is a large amount of sequentially numbered authentications by various brokers and that is unique to Manziel items being offered.
- Reports surface that "broker" who spoke with Schad has many arrests against him including dealing drugs.
- Schad now says it has numerous brokers from across the country who say Manziel (or his buddy) accepted money for signatures.
- Reports surface that this broker among others have large amounts of signed items by many big name college players.
- Pictures start to surface from the other big name players signing large amounts of items.
- USC, Louisville and Ohio State say they have investigated and they all clear their players.
- Reports surface that the there are large amounts of sequentially numbered authentications for other college players,which counter ESPN's narrative that this was unique to Manziel.
- Reports surface that the various "brokers", including the one with the video are all connected to each other and they may have placed large bets on Alabama prior to coming forward to ESPN.
- There is still no evidence whatsoever that Manziel accepted money for signing.
- Every accusation made, except by the one arrested for dealing drugs, was made anonymously to ESPN by people in a very shady business and who refuse to speak on the record to anyone.

So what does this all boil down to? Johnny, Clowney, Bridgewater and others have signed large amounts of memorabilia which is being authenticated and sold by "brokers". Were they paid? Maybe but there is no evidence of it. And the accusations are being made by shady people, who may have a motive to screw over Manziel because of what happened on eBay and whose profession it is to get college players to somehow sign a bunch of stuff so they can sell it for a profit, which is against NCAA regulations.

If this were another school's player being targeted, I probably wouldn't care much and certainly wouldn't take as much interest. But yes, I would question Schad and Rovell since they have proven they have little, if any, journalistic integrity and I would question the accusations of shady brokers who hide behind anonymity and an illegally made video that no one can see and that the one person who has seen it says nothing on it shows any wrongdoing.

Stemp, I wish I could rep you for this but, msr.

I bolded some of the key parts for those who don't like to read long posts. This story has gotten so complicated, it is hard to follow.

Here is a letter written by a texags poster that has been sent to various ESPN reporters:
Mr. XXX,
You are one of my favorite reporters. You are fair, you are honest, and you speak your mind. Your colleague Darren Rovell did an irresponsible thing. NCAA investigations are serious. They affect teams, they affect players, they can ruin careers. When the Manziel story came out I did a ton of research into past cases (Miami, Cam Newton, etc.) to see how long approximately an investigation would take. It was rumored that if the NCAA investigation wasn't complete then A&M may not play Manziel.

I researched the biggest NCAA investigations over the last several years and noticed the mention of a Notice of Inquiry (NOI). What is this? The NCAA gets tons of reports every year (ie. I call the NCAA tomorrow and say I saw X player accepting 40k). The NCAA works with the schools compliance department to look into these issues. There are 100s of these type of interactions done throughout the season. It is NEVER referred to as an NCAA investigation. If the NCAA feels that there is a reason to pursue one of these reports they will file a Notice of Inquiry (NOI) with the school identifying the allegation and list of potential interviewees.

From the NCAA site linked below:
Once the staff receives credible information that a potential major violation occurred, an investigation begins with interviews both on and off campus. A common misperception about enforcement staff interviews is that investigators try to intimidate subjects. That doesn’t happen.

Note here that the NCAA doesn't refer to an initial report (the Manziel situation) as an investigation.

A notice of inquiry has not been sent to Texas A&M. The media said Manziel was being investigated. Again, in my research using the word investigation has always been after an NOI has been received by the school.

I know investigative reporting is not your bag, but I urge you to at least pass this along. The Manziel case was made bigger than it was and the media, fans, and the entire college football world was under the impression the NCAA was investigating Texas A&M(ie. had given the school a NOI). Even the lead insider for Aggie sports (Billy Liucci) was under that impression. Please clarify on the national stage or pass along this info to someone who will.

Helpful Links for Story:

Verify no NOI has been sent?
jcook@athletics.tamu.edu

Overview of NCAA Investigation Process?
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Enforcement/Process/Investigations

Clarification of Exact Steps in an NCAA investigation?
http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/young_lawyers/yld_annual_demystifying_the_ncaa_materials.authche ckdam.pdf

Past examples of Notice of Inquiry= investigation and being the media standard?
Cam Newton Case- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=5767910
Miami- http://www.miami.edu/index.php/ncaa_investigation/
Oregon- http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/32036697

Say Watt
08-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Stemp, I wish I could rep you for this but, msr.

I got him for you.

b0ng
08-13-2013, 07:53 AM
I think it's very telling that this story has not been picked up by deadspin or yahoo. It's basically a strictly ESPN story, so far, which makes me believe that the NCAA hasn't formally begun anything against A&M or JF yet.

HoustonFrog
08-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Seems the Manziel family has a colorful history of illegal activities and being in the middle of things. Really cool article actually..not sure if this was in here

http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220

Hookem Horns
08-13-2013, 09:50 AM
I think this is all Jeff Fisher's fault.

HJam72
08-13-2013, 10:14 AM
I think this is all Jeff Fisher's fault.

Yep, you know that's gotta be the case.

76Texan
08-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Never mind.

Stemp
08-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Channel 2 is about to have some news regarding Manziel.

The leading line was "Why manziel might be in more trouble now".

Let's see what they have to say.

$10 says its the Same stuff from rovell which is basically nothing new.
Rovell is trying to milk the story but nothing new has been presented.

Texn4life
08-13-2013, 02:14 PM
$10 says its the Same stuff from rovell which is basically nothing new.
Rovell is trying to milk the story but nothing new has been presented.

Rovell definitely is hitching his ESPN career on this story. This is not what he normally does, and I know that the company values him. He better be right on this one though because he's going hard after Johnny boy. He's finding a lot of alleged smoke. Since he started this mess I believe he'll need to find some fire too.

Stemp
08-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Rovell definitely is hitching his ESPN career on this story. This is not what he normally does, and I know that the company values him.

Yeah....Not so much

How A Teenager With A Fake Escort Service Duped Darren Rovell And CNBC (http://deadspin.com/5916245/how-a-teenager-with-a-fake-escort-service-duped-darren-rovell-and-cnbc)

ESPN's Darren Rovell And The Fitness Model (http://deadspin.com/espns-darren-rovell-and-the-fitness-model-a-brief-his-508858388)

Darren Rovell Erroneously Reports Alex Karras's Death, Plays It Cool (http://deadspin.com/5950101/darren-rovell-erroneously-reports-alex-karrass-death-plays-it-cool)

Texn4life
08-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Yeah....Not so much

How A Teenager With A Fake Escort Service Duped Darren Rovell And CNBC (http://deadspin.com/5916245/how-a-teenager-with-a-fake-escort-service-duped-darren-rovell-and-cnbc)

ESPN's Darren Rovell And The Fitness Model (http://deadspin.com/espns-darren-rovell-and-the-fitness-model-a-brief-his-508858388)

Darren Rovell Erroneously Reports Alex Karras's Death, Plays It Cool (http://deadspin.com/5950101/darren-rovell-erroneously-reports-alex-karrass-death-plays-it-cool)

When I say its not his thing I mean investigative reporting. He's known as a business guy from what I understand.

b0ng
08-16-2013, 04:21 PM
I hope Manziel signs his name in the air as his TD celebration this season.

Ole Miss Texan
08-23-2013, 03:14 PM
I hope Manziel signs his name in the air as his TD celebration this season.

Now THAT would be awesome!!

Apparently there's a rumor that A&M has a signed affidavit from one of ESPN's sources that they were paid by someone to falsely accuse Manziel. Again a rumor but could be legit. This would sure open up Manziel suing them though wow.

If this somehow gets connect back to UT or a big TexEx that would be hilarious interesting.

Stemp
08-23-2013, 03:43 PM
I d heard that rumor too. But more importantly I heard from someone I k is to have very good sources that the investigation is closed and a&m and the NCAA are working on time g and statements to release to the media.

BullBlitz
08-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Good to hear this might be coming to a close.

htownfan32
08-28-2013, 02:11 PM
In no way is this official but there is a rumor running around campus that Johnny Manziel is suspended for the first half of the season opener against Rice.

Take it with a grain of salt, obviously... but if that's the case, the NCAA sure taught him a lesson. That'll learn him not to sign autographs.

b0ng
08-28-2013, 02:23 PM
ESPN sent out an alert confirming the half game suspension against Rice.

Stemp
08-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Well that's what you call a slap on the wrist.

Wolf
08-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Well that's what you call a slap on the wrist.

Hell they didn't even slap the hand he writes with :joker:

gwallaia
08-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Hell, I would go ahead and sign some more autographs then.

2012Champs
08-28-2013, 04:08 PM
a half game ? LULZ either way you look at this its comical

The1ApplePie
08-28-2013, 05:19 PM
So, Dez Bryant had a meal with Deon and lost a whole year.

Manziel get's a half game for violating the "spirit" of a bylaw.

The power of well-connected rich families is amazing sometimes.

Stemp
08-28-2013, 05:24 PM

More like the power of proof. There simply was no proof of anyone willing to go on the record.
They can't even prove the stuff on eBay is real. All they know is that he sat and signed some autographs.

htownfan32
08-28-2013, 05:25 PM
LOLOL first half of the Rice game is going to be interesting, maybe...

b0ng
08-28-2013, 06:23 PM

It's pretty much a crapshoot which investigations the NCAA will inevitably screw up (almost all of them) and which ones they will actually do the job and make the allegations stick.

Hell Miami had a whole fiasco with that Shapiro guy and they got away with all of it.

Wolf
08-28-2013, 07:30 PM
So on the same page that they announce the suspension..they are selling his jerseys.
https://mobile.twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/372835120689852416

Stemp
08-28-2013, 08:28 PM
So on the same page that they announce the suspension..they are selling his jerseys.
https://mobile.twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/372835120689852416

Actually it's a photo that isn't signed

Playoffs
08-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Great headline...

Johnny Manziel suspended for 30 minutes (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/28/johnny-manziel-suspended-for-30-minutes/)

deucetx
08-29-2013, 07:56 AM

Dez Bryant having dinner with Deion being an issue was stupid but folks keep saying this when it isn't the whole reasoning he was suspended for a year. He was accused of the silly dinner thing and then he LIED about it to the NCAA. Once it was verified that means they had proof and he also lied and that is why he got suspended for the whole year. Most likely would not have been just for the dinner if he fessed up. Then again you never know with the NCAA

With Manziel they have nothing. They admitted they have no proof of anything. So it is what it is. Can't punish someone harshly if you have nothing to back it up with.

badboy
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
My sources inform me that Rice in a show of camaraderie, has decided to bench their starting QB for the first half. Link to follow as soon as I can make up one.

StarStruck
08-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Is Rice lucky or what? The score could now end up 40-7.

b0ng
08-29-2013, 10:42 PM
If Manziel pretended to sign a football and then mime putting cash in his pocket would that get flagged as excessive?

htownfan32
08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Kenny Hill play in the 1st half. I've heard good things about him, supposedly he was a beast dual-threat in high school.
When Kyle Allen shows up on campus, we are going to have a young team of some really talented guys.

Fred
08-30-2013, 05:43 PM
If Manziel pretended to sign a football and then mime putting cash in his pocket would that get flagged as excessive?

Yes, however per the NCAA the penalty will only be one half yard.

stingray
08-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Manziel acted like a moron today. The kid screams out for attention. It is so obvious.

htowntexans1985
08-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Really don't see what is so special about his play. He is a showboat just like t.o. and ochocinco were. As far as his play? Meh.

Heath Shuler
08-31-2013, 04:15 PM
manziel is a classless POS

disaacks3
08-31-2013, 04:25 PM
Yep, he gets taunted repeatedly, taunts back and now he's classless and a POS? You folks bought into the ESPN machine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Mr teX
08-31-2013, 04:26 PM
We've seen this before with a certain qb That played in Austin...Dude is really feeling himself..Robert Smith and Todd McShay were killing Manziel for his antics in the game today...Can't wait for the NFL to humble this kid.....

Mr teX
08-31-2013, 04:35 PM
Yep, he gets taunted repeatedly, taunts back and now he's classless and a POS? You folks bought into the ESPN machine.

Show some Respect to your coach and teammates after the BS u put them thru all summer and just shut up....if u just HAVE to taunt... Point at the scoreboard and keep it moving....& classy. Its just a joke at this point how "Teflon Jon" is acting like a douche. At least PRETEND you've done SOME maturing since autograph-gate. The fact you're willing to excuse that nonsense....

Heath Shuler
08-31-2013, 04:51 PM

Ooh espn. I don't buy any sh1t espn is selling; nice try though.

Why do people continually make excuses for this guy?

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 06:06 PM
Menziel made himself look like a little boy today.

Nawzer
08-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Manziel really doesn't want to be a first round pick I guess.

GlassHalfFull
08-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Manziel really doesn't want to be a first round pick I guess.

So will esipn ever mention this tweet fro the rice player he was talking to??????

Nick Elder ?@NickElder1 47m
@espn I was the one who johnny was talking too. He said "what's up nick, nice hit." True story

who knows the real story

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 07:17 PM
who knows the real story

What about all the other times he's talking to players, shaking his head, rubbing his fingers together expressing something about "money." The kid is an *******, it's clear as day.

Post game comments by his coach indicate that he can't really control him all that much.

Link (http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9620691)

"That wasn't very smart and that's why he didn't go back in the game," A&M coach Kevin Sumlin told ESPN after the game. "I hoped that at this point he'd have learned someting."

When Sumlin was asked if he was planning on taking Manziel out of the game after that touchdown drive, even before the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, Sumlin said "No."

Mr teX
08-31-2013, 07:43 PM
who knows the real story

Stop making excuses for this dude...he's a punk....evidenced by his lack of regard for his coach's situation in having to handle the circus he's brought to town with his offseason antics...

PapaL
08-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Show some Respect to your coach and teammates after the BS u put them thru all summer and just shut up....if u just HAVE to taunt... Point at the scoreboard and keep it moving....& classy. Its just a joke at this point how "Teflon Jon" is acting like a douche. At least PRETEND you've done SOME maturing since autograph-gate. The fact you're willing to excuse that nonsense....

Pretty simple in my book; you can't talk crap when your team is losing. Oh boy wanted to talk and was punked. It's not talking **** if you can back it up. Manziel did just that today. You don't have to like it or him but the dude can play.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 07:56 PM
Pretty simple in my book; you can't talk crap when your team is losing. Oh boy wanted to talk and was punked. It's not talking **** if you can back it up. Manziel did just that today. You don't have to like it or him but the dude can play.

There is no doubt that he can play. The issue is that he's a selfish ********. One that can play.

"It's not talking **** if you can back or up." That's a dumb statement. So, when a boxer knocks someone out and then starts yapping away on top of him, it's not talking ****?

PapaL
08-31-2013, 07:59 PM
There is no doubt that he can play. The issue is that he's a selfish ********. One that can play.

People tune in for what he does on the field. Not his personality. When he gets a TV show I'll *complain**.

With all the money the NCAA makes off of these kids I'm fine with him mocking them.

thunderkyss
08-31-2013, 08:01 PM
You don't have to like it or him but the dude can play.

6-8 for 94 yards & 3 TDs

Yeah, the kid can play.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 08:04 PM
People tune in for what he does on the field. Not his personality. When he gets a TV show I'll *complain**.

With all the money the NCAA makes off of these kids I'm fine with him mocking them.

I mean, it doesn't so much bother me. I'm just calling him an *******, because that is what he is. I wouldn't want him on my NFL team, but he doesn't bother me with his antics as a neutral viewer of a college football game that he plays.

eriadoc
08-31-2013, 08:06 PM
The guy's an immature, self entitled, silver spoon up his ass, arrogant jackass that will bust out of the NFL if he doesn't grow up a helluva lot between now and then. Guys that blow off their head coach like that are the types of guys that don't put in the necessary work, don't learn the things the coaches need them to learn, and eventually build a rep for themselves to the point that other coaches won't take a chance on them.

Hell, look at VY. You think he's not more talented than whoever the Bills are trotting out at QB? Or the 3rd stringer for half the teams in the NFL? Players build a reputation for themselves and it follows them, for better or worse. Anyone in life, actually.

PapaL
08-31-2013, 08:06 PM
He's 20 yrs old. The current Heisman Trophy winner. Comes from a rich family. Every single one of us would think we were the **** of the walk in that situation. I'm sure he's a jerk in person but just remember, winning cures everything.

htowntexans1985
08-31-2013, 08:34 PM
6-8 for 94 yards & 3 TDs

Yeah, the kid can play.

Against Freaking Rice bro. Rice. We're talking about freaking Rice! He's probably going to kill Sam Houston next week too. Let him do it against top s.e.c. team this season before we crown him the second coming of Joe Namath.

Mr teX
08-31-2013, 08:37 PM

Its always talking **** whether u can back it up or not...matter fact, it looks worse when u win....ESPECIALLY when you're expected to win b/c you have nothing to gain by doing it. Im with the other guy in this thread in that i dont see anything special about his play. Keenum put up monstrous numbers in this system too.....with less talent around him.

TexansSeminole
08-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Against Freaking Rice bro. Rice. We're talking about freaking Rice! He's probably going to kill Sam Houston next week too. Let him do it against top s.e.c. team this season before we crown him the second coming of Joe Namath.

???

He won the Heisman last year. He can play, are you really doubting that?

thunderkyss
08-31-2013, 08:42 PM

Just because I think the kid can play & enjoy watching him play, doesn't mean I think he's the second coming of anybody.

So get yer panties out of your wad & get those SEC nutts off yer chin & just watch it be what it be.

PapaL
08-31-2013, 08:47 PM

Does the Alabama game not count? Did it to them in their own stadium.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/01/vunyga3y.jpg

PapaL
08-31-2013, 08:50 PM
Its always talking **** whether u can back it up or not...matter fact, it looks worse when u win....ESPECIALLY when you're expected to win b/c you have nothing to gain by doing it. Im with the other guy in this thread in that i dont see anything special about his play. Keenum put up monstrous numbers in this system too.....with less talent around him.

Keenum also did it in a weaker conference but let's just ignore that right?

Mr teX
08-31-2013, 09:09 PM
Keenum also did it in a weaker conference but let's just ignore that right?

Never said ignore it, just saying that we've seen qbs put up numbers in this system and similar systems over the years before and that doesnt make him a special nor great player in my eyes..unless of course your saying that those 10- 12 tds and other stats he accumulated against those little sisters of the poor teams dont count. without those numbers he probably doesnt win the heisman so he benefited just like Keenum did...maybe not as much but he still benefited.

Edit: just under 1/2 of his total tds at 22 came against non-bcs teams...

ESAD2-14
08-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh No:vincepalm:

Not this **it again.

I had hoped that Aggie was immune to VY syndrome, figured they of all people would have put up a better resistance to this horrible affliction.

Please please please; if the Texans don't draft Manziel - please just accept it and move one. Pretty please.

PapaL
08-31-2013, 09:18 PM
Never said ignore it, just saying that we've seen qbs put up numbers in this system and similar systems over the years before and that doesnt make him a special nor great player in my eyes..unless of course your saying that those 10- 12 tds and other stats he accumulated against those little sisters of the poor teams dont count. without those numbers he probably doesnt win the heisman so he benefited just like Keenum did...maybe not as much but he still benefited.

I'm not saying he didn't benefit. You're the one claiming "less talent around him". I'm merely pointing out that Keenum played in a WAY weaker conference. 345 yards against the best defense and top tanked team is what cemented Maziel's Heisman...that and facing 6 ranked teams last season.

How many Heisman's did Keenum win in his 6 years as an NCAA QB?

Mr teX
08-31-2013, 09:45 PM
I'm not saying he didn't benefit. You're the one claiming "less talent around him". I'm merely pointing out that Keenum played in a WAY weaker conference. 345 yards against the best defense and top tanked team is what cemented Maziel's Heisman...that and facing 6 ranked teams last season.

How many Heisman's did Keenum win in his 6 years as an NCAA QB?

The only game he looked like a heisman candidate was the bama game...all the other games against the sec ranked teams he looked average to below average.

The bama game played its role, but people were already propping him up as a candidate largely b/c of his numbers citing Cam Newton's heisman campaign numbers.. Either way are u really gonna deny that keenum had less talent around him than manziel?

what exactly does keenum's inability to win a heisman prove anyway? Voter bias against the smaller conferences? The heisman's been a joke for years now anyway... Really since they've made it an offensive award and Suh got robbed. For Keenum to even get in the convo for Hiesman was a monumental feat in and of itself comsidering the what he was up against with the voters..

htowntexans1985
08-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Just because I think the kid can play & enjoy watching him play, doesn't mean I think he's the second coming of anybody.

So get yer panties out of your wad & get those SEC nutts off yer chin & just watch it be what it be.

Lol. I don't like any SEC team. Just saying the kid is a train wreck waiting to happen. That's why people like yourself tune in.

b0ng
09-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Wow. Some of you people have straight up lost your minds. If he beats 'Bama nobody gives a **** what kind of penalty he got against Rice today. I'm not completely against drafting a high round QB and I hope that Manziel does well enough that we don't have worry about whether the Texans draft him or not.

Wolf
09-01-2013, 09:05 AM
He better get mentaly prepared. He is going to get a lot of trash talk throughout the season

Rice band wears shirts with manziel's signature,plus lots of autograph talk by rice (reportedly)
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/marching-owl-band-wears-johnny-manziel-autograph-shirts-052611233--ncaaf.html

Say Watt
09-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with much of what he did. I think it was stupid, but football is a game of passion. Part of what makes Manziel so good is his erratic behavior and his passion. He wants to win, and he wants to embarrass you while doing it. If that makes him a better football player, I'm all for it. How many of us would be arrogant pieces of dung if we had his God given athletic abilities?

I think he is sick of people giving him a hard time about everything he does. Before the autograph thing people were drilling him about his partying. He is living the life of a rock star and if we were in his position, most of us would be living it up too! As long as none of this effects his play on the field, who the f cares?!?

Pollardized
09-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Personally, I don't have a problem with much of what he did. I think it was stupid, but football is a game of passion. Part of what makes Manziel so good is his erratic behavior and his passion. He wants to win, and he wants to embarrass you while doing it. If that makes him a better football player, I'm all for it. How many of us would be arrogant pieces of dung if we had his God given athletic abilities?

I think he is sick of people giving him a hard time about everything he does. Before the autograph thing people were drilling him about his partying. He is living the life of a rock star and if we were in his position, most of us would be living it up too! As long as none of this effects his play on the field, who the f cares?!?

Excellent.

MSR.

Playoffs
09-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Manziel is becoming a Kardashian.

steelbtexan
09-01-2013, 11:34 AM
6-8 for 94 yards & 3 TDs

Yeah, the kid can play.

And the W

This should be all that really matters.

I find it hilarious that the talking heads at BSPN are now the moral compass of sports. LOL (Sean check out my junk Salisbury)

steelbtexan
09-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Lol. I don't like any SEC team. Just saying the kid is a train wreck waiting to happen. That's why people like yourself tune in.

Why dont you like SEC football?

Best college football in the land.

Most passionate fans.

steelbtexan
09-01-2013, 11:51 AM
What was A&M football before Manziel?

How many confrence championships has Sumlin won?

Texn4life
09-01-2013, 12:06 PM
I just find it really amusing how ESPN is now claiming to be some kind of moral compass. A football player talking a little trash. He's such a terrible human being! He is a spoiled brat, but all this fuss is stupid IMO.

Edit: Damn steelbtexan I swear I wrote this message without even seeing yours. Crazy how we were thinking the exact same thing though.

htownfan32
09-01-2013, 12:07 PM

What are you on about? A&M Football has been good, decent, never particularly spectacular before Manziel. They've had good years and bad years, but it's not like they were some crap program that came out of nowhere with Manziel.

steelbtexan
09-01-2013, 12:27 PM
What are you on about? A&M Football has been good, decent, never particularly spectacular before Manziel. They've had good years and bad years, but it's not like they were some crap program that came out of nowhere with Manziel.

You mean avg to below avg for a decade?

Weren't even on the national radar? Where was ESPN before JM?

Before JM what was their highest national ranking? With JM top 10. When was the last time A&M was ranked in the top 10? Slocum yrs, and even then they didn't get the type of exposure the JM is bringing them.

Is he a cocky turd? Probably

Is he the best thing that has happened to A&M football in 50 yrs. Yep. The funny thing is that some at A&M would rather have a medicore football team than have a guy like JM leading their team. Be careful of what they wish for. I mean it's only been half a century since John David Crow called College Station home. (The last time A&M was truly relevant on the college football scene.) Yes I remember the Wrecking Crew yrs. But they were never true NC contenders that teams of the caliber of Alabama respected. Now they are. Why 1 reason Johnny Football.

PapaL
09-01-2013, 12:35 PM
The Rice Football player Johnny Manziel was talking to said Manizel just told him "nice hit"
LINK (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1757085-rice-vs-texas-am-score-grades-and-analysis?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national)

Nick Elder @NickElder1
@espn I was the one who johnny was talking too. He said "what's up nick, nice hit." True story

Heath Shuler
09-01-2013, 12:46 PM
The Rice Football player Johnny Manziel was talking to said Manizel just told him "nice hit"
LINK (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1757085-rice-vs-texas-am-score-grades-and-analysis?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national)

Nick Elder @NickElder1

that was not the play that got the flag

PapaL
09-01-2013, 12:48 PM

I'm aware.

Texn4life
09-01-2013, 12:51 PM

That's correct....... It was on the play where he did his little signature thing in the air. On the one where he got the penalty, we used to tell guys to look at the scoreboard all the time when they were talking trash to us. He's under a microscope right now so it wasn't smart for him to do it in front of 2 refs, but it's not that big of a deal. I like the way he carries himself on the field personally. I think the word swagger gets overused, but thats exactly what he gives that team.

htownfan32
09-01-2013, 03:10 PM
You mean avg to below avg for a decade?

Weren't even on the national radar? Where was ESPN before JM?

Before JM what was their highest national ranking? With JM top 10. When was the last time A&M was ranked in the top 10? Slocum yrs, and even then they didn't get the type of exposure the JM is bringing them.

Is he a cocky turd? Probably

Is he the best thing that has happened to A&M football in 50 yrs. Yep. The funny thing is that some at A&M would rather have a medicore football team than have a guy like JM leading their team. Be careful of what they wish for. I mean it's only been half a century since John David Crow called College Station home. (The last time A&M was truly relevant on the college football scene.) Yes I remember the Wrecking Crew yrs. But they were never true NC contenders that teams of the caliber of Alabama respected. Now they are. Why 1 reason Johnny Football.

I summed up basically everything you said in much less - good years, bad years, decent team. Perhaps not nationally exposed, but they were decent.

I'm not arguing that Johnny Manziel didn't put A&M's name on the map, but lets not pretend A&M football was like some division II program no one had ever heard of either. I don't think we'd be in national title contention prior to Manziel, but the switch to the SEC and Manziel's success has brewed the perfect storm in winning A&M some great recruiting ammo. If A&M can capitalize on this success, they'll be good to great for years, without Manziel.

After this year, their fresh young defense will be experienced. The offense is beyond stacked, and Kyle Allen will be on campus eventually. A&M holds the cards, they just have to not screw up in playing them.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2013, 03:23 PM

More than what the team he beat this weekend is:).

Showtime100
09-01-2013, 06:18 PM
After taking a peek at the Texans roster, all I know is they grow some talented feet over there in College Station.

:fieldgoal

Marcus
09-01-2013, 06:46 PM
I've had it up to here already with this Johnny Football BS. I frankly could care less what he does on the field anymore.

Some of you take a good look at previous posts on this thread. What does it say about a player when the discussion involves more about his classless antics than what he does on the field?

Yes, he's 20 years old. BFD! At this age, the are a number of things that a football player needs to work on, but maturity shouldn't be one of them.

Congratulations Johhny Manziel! A freaking sophomore in college, and you managed to beat out VY on how quickly I can forever hate a player. I didn't think that was possible.

steelbtexan
09-01-2013, 07:02 PM
I've had it up to here already with this Johnny Football BS. I frankly could care less what he does on the field anymore.

Some of you take a good look at previous posts on this thread. What does it say about a player when the discussion involves more about his classless antics than what he does on the field?

Yes, he's 20 years old. BFD! At this age, the are a number of things that a football player needs to work on, but maturity shouldn't be one of them.

Congratulations Johhny Manziel! A freaking sophomore in college, and you managed to beat out VY on how quickly I can forever hate a player. I didn't think that was possible.

Bitter?

And this comes from an unabashed Longhorn fan.

I just think it's wierd that A&M finally after half century is relevant and A&M fans dont seem to be able to enjoy it. This makes me LOL.

thunderkyss
09-01-2013, 07:26 PM

He's not the one making a big deal of it. He's just being a kid. It's the idiots with nothing better to do that puts this stuff in the papers, on the news, on the net, etc... then read it & make it a big deal & a big part of their lives.

infantrycak
09-01-2013, 07:39 PM
He's not the one making a big deal of it. He's just being a kid. It's the idiots with nothing better to do that puts this stuff in the papers, on the news, on the net, etc... then read it & make it a big deal & a big part of their lives.

BS on top of BS. Thousands of guys have been college football heros and didn't act like total a-holes. In fact, many of them (particularly QBs) know the attention is focused on them and try to act like choir boys. Instead he is going out of his way to piss people off. He is acting like Justin Bieber with shoulder pads.

TexansSeminole
09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
BS on top of BS. Thousands of guys have been college football heros and didn't act like total a-holes. In fact, many of them (particularly QBs) know the attention is focused on them and try to act like choir boys. Instead he is going out of his way to piss people off. He is acting like Justin Bieber with shoulder pads.

Exactly.

You know how much pressure guys go through playing QB at schools with higher expectations than even A&M? Alot of these guys are 19 years old and handle it extremely well. All this "he's just a kid" talk is BS. He's just an *******.

htownfan32
09-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Bitter?

I just think it's wierd that A&M finally after half century is relevant and A&M fans dont seem to be able to enjoy it. This makes me LOL.

I'm gonna have to agree with most of what you're saying, SteelB. He's putting A&M up there.

Though with the bolded, I know it seems like that on the internet, but all of Kyle Field chanting "JOHNNY, JOHNNY!" when he came on after half-time indicates otherwise.

Again, I have two opinions of Manziel. As a person off the field, that opinion is not very high. However, he is his own person and he can do whatever the damn hell he likes. Should he be responsible? Definitely. Should he behave in a more mature manner? Of course. However, he is his own person and I'm sure none of us in his place would appreciate being told what to do by complete strangers who only have an interest in regulating his fame. I'm not making excuses for him, because he really does behave like a tool. He shouldn't, but he does. Whatever.

As a person on the field, that opinion is very damn high. The guy makes plays. He wins. I don't care if his skill set doesn't translate into the NFL, or that he's a system baby, or that he's a cocky, abrasive player who taunts opponents and goads them on. Am I going to ride his jock (a la some people with VY) and say we should draft him? Hell no, I think he has nothing that the Texans want. I am never going to ***** about him leading our college football team, or how he behaves on the field so long as he produces video game numbers and we go 1-0 every week. Johnny Football is an entirely different person in my mind from Johnny Partyboy.

GlassHalfFull
09-01-2013, 08:19 PM
I am disappointed with how many people are buying into the ESPN crap. They have an agenda and are going overboard perusing it.

Ags have Johnny's back. Don't doubt that. Squeaky wheels aside.

thunderkyss
09-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Did y'all know Aaron Rodgers was doing that discount double check thing back in college?

Marcus
09-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Bitter?

I'm neither a Longhorn or an A&M fan. I could care less about either of those two schools. He could be the QB of Whateverthe****youcallit State. He's still being a petulant, arrogant ******** on and off the field. What makes him so special, that he couldn't be like all the rest of the kids his age, and show a little bit of humility and class?

He's damaged goods, and he's got nobody to blame but himself.

Mr teX
09-02-2013, 08:44 AM
I am disappointed with how many people are buying into the ESPN crap. They have an agenda and are going overboard perusing it.

Ags have Johnny's back. Don't doubt that. Squeaky wheels aside.

Eh...the younger group of Ags no doubt...but i think there's a clear divide on the little turd between the younger and older ags. You can read a few threads on Texags and garner that. In any event the timeline of what's been going with this dude over the last few months has more negative on it than anything.

- Sent home hung over from a Manning passing camp
- Autograph gate
& those 2 things are wrapped up nice & tight in the blanket that was the party fight incident that he just now settled what was it a month ago?.....which if i'm not mistaken all of that started before he even took a damn snap at Kyle field.

Notice i didn't even bring up this weekends show...So at the end of the day he's bringing this attention to himself either conciously (he's a twitter trolling fool) or unconciously with his dumb ass actions.

So keep believing it's just ESPN "spin" or rhetoric.....they're not making this **** up about him. At every turn he has continously kept supplying them with fresh buckets of poop to throw at him. & rather than him show an ounce of humility & maturation he keeps drawing attention to himself in the wrong way & it's taking away from what he's doing on the field.

You Aggie fans only have his back now b/c ya'll seem to enjoy some of the residual "shine" the school is getting from all this hoopla. That shine works both ways though.....

BullNation4Life
09-02-2013, 08:58 AM
What about all the other times he's talking to players, shaking his head, rubbing his fingers together expressing something about "money." The kid is an *******, it's clear as day.

Post game comments by his coach indicate that he can't really control him all that much.

Link (http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=9620691)

He did the "money" gesture all last year and NOTHING was said about it. He is ACCUSED of taking money, NEVER HAS BEEN PROVEN, and NOW it is seen immature and selfish?

What the F ever....

Rice wants to talk crap, and they got b slapped. WHO THE HELL IS RICE to be talking crap to anybody? They are Rice....

I was at the game, low enough to see players, and saw Rice jawing at Manziel while he was walking back to the huddle, on Manziel's second play. So Manziel is suppose to just get, walk back and not say anything?

Obviously you never played football before.

Marcus
09-02-2013, 09:01 AM
You Aggie fans only have his back now b/c ya'll seem to enjoy some of the residual "shine" the school is getting from all this hoopla. That shine works both ways though.....

Yeeup.

I never thought I'd see the day where I would root for Alabama to win a football game against anyone . . . ANYONE!!

Well, guess what?

GlassHalfFull
09-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Read this article in the Houston press (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2013/09/johnny_manziels_monster_heel_p.php)

I quote a couple of bits for those to lazy to click on the link. But the whole article is worth reading.

A woefully rambling Trevor Matich of ESPN (I know, I know..."Who?") hyperbolized that Manziel is "shaping up to be the most selfish, unstable knucklehead in recent memory." Presumably, while consumed with preparing diligently for the college football season, Matich has missed all of the recent Aaron Hernandez coverage.

Mark May (he's baaack!) managed to take Manziel's "walking slowly next to Kevin Sumlin after the penalty and not making eye contact" and magically turn it into allegations of Manziel's blatant disrespect for his coach and his team, disrespect that he surmised would tear at the A&M locker room (and possibly lead to the downfall of capitalism as we know it!).

May actually screamed multiple times into the camera about the possibility of Manziel's doing something similar against Alabama or LSU as if he'd actually already done it.

Of course, later in the program, May briefly chuckled and joked about Bobby Petrino (a guy whose off the field exploits actually did destroy a program) getting another chance at head coaching because all he does is win.

Apparently, in May's world, adultery and ****ting on state mandated hiring practices are just quirky little side bars.

But don't you DARE point at the scoreboard!
At their core, ESPN is a business, an entertainment business, one that needs eyeballs and web hits to sustain its multibillion dollar business model. Taking a virtual jabroni of a non-story (like a Manziel taunting penalty) and perpetuating and pushing it all the way into the main event on Sportscenter is what ESPN does better than any entertainment outlet in the history of media.

Johnny Manziel's not the first player to taunt an opponent, he's just the most famous, and the best thing for business is to make him this season's monster heel.

You see, to ESPN (and unwittingly to most of us), Johnny Manziel is just a television character. The main character in the 2013 season of the award winning drama called College Football, right? I mean, unless you actually know Johnny Manziel personally, that's really all he is.

He's a character on one of your favorite TV shows.

ESPN knows this, so they take all of his God given ability to play football and promote that so you'll watch the games. Then they take all of his God given flaws, like his temper and his narcissism, and promote those (under a guise of tearing them down) so you'll tune into everything else (First Take, Outside the Lines, Sportscenter, etc.).

Management at ESPN, they want you to hate Johnny Manziel. Make no mistake, while Matich and May and their ilk blindly beg Johnny to stop, the higher ups with ESPN (and CBS and FOX) hope "evil Johnny Football" never goes away.

GlassHalfFull
09-02-2013, 09:27 AM
Yeeup.

I never thought I'd see the day where I would root for Alabama to win a football game against anyone . . . ANYONE!!

Well, guess what?

Congrats Marcus. You are one of the sheeple.

Read this The Johnny We Know (http://thejohnnyweknow.tumblr.com/)

Click on all the titles to see each blog entry.

Mr teX
09-02-2013, 09:34 AM
He did the "money" gesture all last year and NOTHING was said about it. He is ACCUSED of taking money, NEVER HAS BEEN PROVEN, and NOW it is seen immature and selfish?

What the F ever....

Rice wants to talk crap, and they got b slapped. WHO THE HELL IS RICE to be talking crap to anybody? They are Rice....

I was at the game, low enough to see players, and saw Rice jawing at Manziel while he was walking back to the huddle, on Manziel's second play. So Manziel is suppose to just get, walk back and not say anything?

Obviously you never played football before.

They knew they didn't stand a chance so they we're lookintg for every advantage they could get & the bolded is the exact reason y he should've just shut his damn pie hole.

You're just supposed to :ahhaha: at them with your teammates point at the scoreboard & keep it moving. No response needed. I mean It's akin to you as a human talking smack to an ant just b/c it crawled up on your ankle unsuspectingly & bit you instead of just brushing it off and/or stepping on it.

What the hell do you have to gain by talking smack to them? It's shows how weak-minded he is that he has to do that kind of crap to such a lowly opponent. Reminds me of the last time UT played U of H here in Houston in football..Obnoxious fans from Austin arrive screaming "we're gonna kill you guys!!!!!!" & I'm thinking "well genius...you should kill us you're ranked in the top 5 and we're no where close to being ranked morons....:kubepalm:"

Its clear you haven't won much in team sports.

Texn4life
09-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Its a sad day when Stephen A Smith has to be the voice of reason for ESPN. He broke down all this silliness perfectly this morning. Johnny's only mistake Saturday was giving these loud mouth hypocrites something to complain about. He could have kneeled down to pray after every score and they would have probably found a way to criticize that as well. A bunch of old men resorting to name calling? Yeah, very mature of these guys.

Texecutioner
09-02-2013, 11:58 AM
So now everyone is up and arms about Johnny Football talking trash to RIce? What in the hell do you guys think happens in football games? It's a violent sport and it's an intense sport where this goes on all game long. For some of the folks in this thread who are complaining about it, I guess you're going to have to start hating on Andre Johnson too, because he talks trash to teams all of the time as well. Manziel is in the middle of a football game where huge lineman are trying to take his head off on every play. He has every right to talk trash to guys who are trying to hurt him. Nothing to see here really. Holler at me when you guys actually have something on Manziel other then some sort of ESPN hogwash that they came up with in their morning meeting for a segment since that dreadful network hasn't been able to come up with real stories for the last 10 years.

And this is coming from a die hard Texas fan.

pbat488
09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Notice i didn't even bring up this weekends show...So at the end of the day he's bringing this attention to himself either conciously (he's a twitter trolling fool) or unconciously with his dumb ass actions.

So keep believing it's just ESPN "spin" or rhetoric.....they're not making this **** up about him. At every turn he has continously kept supplying them with fresh buckets of poop to throw at him. & rather than him show an ounce of humility & maturation he keeps drawing attention to himself in the wrong way & it's taking away from what he's doing on the field.

correct, espn is not making things up. they are drastically stretching the narrative to fit their agenda however. they are not a news reporting service, they are an entertainment conglomerate, and as the article linked by GHF shows, by having their talking heads express outrage at his actions, it is the beginning of their cycle. express outrage, analyze outrage, have outside source analyze their outrage, then re-report the outside sources analyzation of their initial outrage. it is all about the page clicks and viewers.

this is not to say johnny isn't at fault. he needs to be more mature and realize all his actions are under the microscope. however, the things people are up in arms about from the rice game don't concern his teammates or many a&m fans. in fact, his hyper competitiveness is something the team feeds off. outsiders will have their own opinion of that, however.

right, a school and fanbase known for fanatic devotion of all things football only defends a player because his actions create a negative media reaction, warranted or not. that makes a lot of sense.

good try though.

edit: I do have to thank tmzspn for all the publicity though. the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

FirstTexansFan
09-02-2013, 12:45 PM
So now everyone is up and arms about Johnny Football talking trash to RIce? What in the hell do you guys think happens in football games? It's a violent sport and it's an intense sport where this goes on all game long. For some of the folks in this thread who are complaining about it, I guess you're going to have to start hating on Andre Johnson too, because he talks trash to teams all of the time as well. Manziel is in the middle of a football game where huge lineman are trying to take his head off on every play. He has every right to talk trash to guys who are trying to hurt him. Nothing to see here really. Holler at me when you guys actually have something on Manziel other then some sort of ESPN hogwash that they came up with in their morning meeting for a segment since that dreadful network hasn't been able to come up with real stories for the last 10 years.

And this is coming from a die hard Texas fan.

MSR

steelbtexan
09-02-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm neither a Longhorn or an A&M fan. I could care less about either of those two schools. He could be the QB of Whateverthe****youcallit State. He's still being a petulant, arrogant ******** on and off the field. What makes him so special, that he couldn't be like all the rest of the kids his age, and show a little bit of humility and class?

He's damaged goods, and he's got nobody to blame but himself.

What makes him so special? LOL A blind man can see what makes him so special. Have you seen him play? If so you would realize how dumb that statement is.

Is he cocky and arrogant? Yes, Most great athletes are Jordan/Bonds/Brady etc... it's in their DNA. What most people dont like is the fact that guys like these have the innate ability to deal with outside pressures and still be their own person, and still perform at the highest level.

That and the fact is that they win and some people get very jealous and do their best to try to bring these athletes down. They aren't going to bring Manziel down, because he has the $$$$ to fight the system and a willingness to do so. Unlike Adams/Posey at Ohio St.

The only person that will bring down Manziel is himself and one day that will happen. But it wont be today. Manziel, from a few old timers I've talked to say he is a modern day Bobby Layne. Another Texas football legend.