PDA

View Full Version : NFL Network's Shaun O'Hara - "Texans Have #1 Offensive Line"

michaelm
09-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Interesting that the Texans would be mentioned as the best OL by anyone, but Shaun O'Hara on Total Access just said the Texans have the #1 offensive line in football through week two.

TheMatrix31
09-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah I dunno about that.

Lucky
09-21-2012, 07:14 PM
It's early to crown anyone #1 at anything. But, the o-line hasn't been the concern many feared. Still, it's early.

Vinny
09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
We've only played the little sisters of the poor so far...the nice words are nice and all, but the Denver game will be a better test of where we are.

michaelm
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM
It's early to crown anyone #1 at anything. But, the o-line hasn't been the concern many feared. Still, it's early.

Agreed, but to be fair, he specified through week 2, which is all the data we have to go by to this point.

Thorn
09-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I think it's way to early to start buying into the rankings just yet. It's weird though, the Texans being mentioned more often and being in better standings with the pudits. It's not something we are used to, and we shouldn't let it go to our heads.

badboy
09-21-2012, 09:51 PM
We've only played the little sisters of the poor so far...the nice words are nice and all, but the Denver game will be a better test of where we are.regardless, I did not expect to be ranked #1 after these two games an I am willing to bet I was not alone. lol

Lucky
09-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Agreed, but to be fair, he specified through week 2, which is all the data we have to go by to this point.
I get it, it's the NFL Network. They have a lot of air time to fill.

Playoffs
09-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Hope our guys don't start reading their press clippings.

Wolf
09-22-2012, 02:00 AM
I don't know but I have not been happy watching our run game

welsh texan
09-22-2012, 08:15 AM
The one thing i worry about is that in my time watching the NFL, teams such as the Chargers and Vikings have been long term top teams that never actually won anything, and have now crashed down and dropped to the bottom of the league/mid-table in terms of talent without ever capitalising on it.

I don't want the Texans to put together year after year of being a nearly team, we need Championships!

Other teams have had one good season and done a lot more during that time, Eagles, Bears, Cards have all been to the Superbowl without being perennial nearly teams for years either side.

I just hope our team isn't one of those that becomes the 'best' at this and the 'best' at that but never makes it count in the playoffs.

TejasTom
09-22-2012, 08:57 AM
I get it, it's the NFL Network. They have a lot of air time to fill.

I thought Tim Tebow was the best line in the NFL, wait that's ESPN.

Ryan
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM
I thought Tim Tebow was the best line in the NFL, wait that's ESPN.

I guess you missed the "Top 10 things we love about Tim Tebow" countdown on NFL Network.

b0ng
09-22-2012, 09:13 AM

If you weren't happy watching the Texans stack up 2 bills worth of rushing on Jacksonville you aren't going to be happy watching them run this year I don't think.

Bulls on Parade
09-22-2012, 09:36 AM
Pretty much an All Pro at Left Tackle and Center. A decent Left Guard and an okay new look right side. I think we're another pro bowl caliber player at Right Tackle away from being deemed the best offensive line in the game. Here's to hoping Derek Newton continues to succeed and becomes a beast.

If only Ryan Harris lived up to his potential from his collegiate days and had the athleticism to switch over to Right Guard then wow!!!! We'd be amazing but I'll let the Ben Jones and Antoine Caldwell thing work itself out. :clap:

ObsiWan
09-22-2012, 09:36 AM

If you weren't happy watching the Texans stack up 2 bills worth of rushing on Jacksonville you aren't going to be happy watching them run this year I don't think.

I don't know what Wolf expected.... For us to get 4.76 yes per attempt is pretty good.
:shades:

CloakNNNdagger
09-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I am curious if Ryan Harris will be incorporated in this game, if he falls in sync and how he affect the O play.

ObsiWan
09-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Interesting that the Texans would be mentioned as the best OL by anyone, but Shaun O'Hara on Total Access just said the Texans have the #1 offensive line in football through week two.

I just saw the segment you're referencing. Did you pick up on the fact that all five of his "top O-line" picks from the previous week LOST the following week??

Just saying'
:mcnugget:

CloakNNNdagger
09-22-2012, 09:58 AM
Just note to include.........although Caldwell has played through all practices and is listed as "probable," it is a little disheartening to see him listed on the Injury List as "ankle" again so soon .

ObsiWan
09-22-2012, 10:03 AM
I am curious if Ryan Harris will be incorporated in this game, if he falls in sync and how he affect the O play.

Was he active in Jville... I don't recall.

CloakNNNdagger
09-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Was he active in Jville... I don't recall.

He was.

CretorFrigg
09-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Best O-line in the game? I always considered that our Achilles Heel coming into the season. Winston wasn't an all-pro RT, but he was serviceable. Newton's been holding up so far, but he has yet to be truly tested. We will see this coming Sunday how he'll handle elite pass rushers.

By the way, speaking of the O-line, has anyone noticed the lack of good runs by Foster? I'm a little worried. I feel like Tate, as a runner, has been better than Foster these last few games.

The Medic01
09-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Best O-line in the game? I always considered that our Achilles Heel coming into the season. Winston wasn't an all-pro RT, but he was serviceable. Newton's been holding up so far, but he has yet to be truly tested. We will see this coming Sunday how he'll handle elite pass rushers.

By the way, speaking of the O-line, has anyone noticed the lack of good runs by Foster? I'm a little worried. I feel like Tate, as a runner, has been better than Foster these last few games.

Yep only what like 3 TDs and 189 yard in two games. Plain awful huh.

TheMatrix31
09-22-2012, 09:23 PM
The one thing i worry about is that in my time watching the NFL, teams such as the Chargers and Vikings have been long term top teams that never actually won anything, and have now crashed down and dropped to the bottom of the league/mid-table in terms of talent without ever capitalising on it.

I don't want the Texans to put together year after year of being a nearly team, we need Championships!

Other teams have had one good season and done a lot more during that time, Eagles, Bears, Cards have all been to the Superbowl without being perennial nearly teams for years either side.

I just hope our team isn't one of those that becomes the 'best' at this and the 'best' at that but never makes it count in the playoffs.

Well, only one team wins the Super Bowl a year, and it isn't always the best team. So that's natural.

Nox
09-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Maybe he saw a few months into the future

Brandon420tx
09-23-2012, 12:33 AM
The Giants OLine looked amazing thursday, I'd consider them top right now

EVOLVIST
09-23-2012, 01:46 AM
Yep only what like 3 TDs and 189 yard in two games. Plain awful huh.

Yes, that looks good, but his yards per carry is way down, while Tate's yards are 1.2 yards per carry ahead of Foster.

I'm not poo-pooing on Foster in any way, though. There's also the factor of down, distance and how much they've been giving him the rock.

How much? 54 times, for the most carries of any running back in the NFL going into week 3.

That's 7 more carries than the next back, Marshawn Lynch, and Lynch is getting 4.4 ypc to Foster's 3.5.

To me, that means the Texans should pass to set up the run, and not the other way around right now. In other words, give teams a little more fear of our passing game so that Foster can maximize his carries. Right now, everyone is keying on Foster, and our O-Line needs to gel just a tad more.

Insideop
09-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Yes, that looks good, but his yards per carry is way down, while Tate's yards are 1.2 yards per carry ahead of Foster.

I'm not poo-pooing on Foster in any way, though. There's also the factor of down, distance and how much they've been giving him the rock.

How much? 54 times, for the most carries of any running back in the NFL going into week 3.

That's 7 more carries than the next back, Marshawn Lynch, and Lynch is getting 4.4 ypc to Foster's 3.5.

To me, that means the Texans should pass to set up the run, and not the other way around right now. In other words, give teams a little more fear of our passing game so that Foster can maximize his carries. Right now, everyone is keying on Foster, and our O-Line needs to gel just a tad more.

Yeah, I wonder how much the O-line gelling is factoring in on Foster's low ypc, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering also how much his veganism is affecting, and will continue to affect, his running output.

bhsman
09-23-2012, 07:53 AM

Foster's YPC is lower than Tate because he's been given more carries and has carried earlier in games where defenses are expecting it, and he's been given more carries this season because we've run out the clock while holding on to a commanding lead. That'll change once we start getting into situations where we have to pass more.

Thorn
09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Yeah, I wonder how much the O-line gelling is factoring in on Foster's low ypc, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering also how much his veganism is affecting, and will continue to affect, his running output.

If he eats properly as a vegan it really shouldn't make a difference. It is though a much tougher road to do that right, most especially as a professional athletic. I'm sure he has a diet coach, and if he doesn't, he should get one.

ObsiWan
09-23-2012, 08:06 AM

The vegan thing...? Again...??
...seriously???

Insideop
09-23-2012, 09:03 AM
The vegan thing...? Again...??
...seriously???

Sorry. Just can't get it out of my mind. :headhurts: I work with a vegan and if he ever played a down of football, on any level, he would be killed! I also think back to Bill Walton and his days playing in the NBA. It seemed like he broke a bone almost every year. Again, my apologies for :deadhorse.

hradhak
09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I think at the bye week will be a good assessment of how the right side of our line is holding up. My guess is that teams will pick up on the fact that we only run to the left side of the line when we needed and by the bye week our right side is going to be tested. At the fins game, I didn't really see Newton getting beat very often. At this point he is not as good as Winston in run blocking, but and about the same in pass blocking, but again that's only with 2 sample points

ObsiWan
09-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Sorry. Just can't get it out of my mind. :headhurts: I work with a vegan and if he ever played a down of football, on any level, he would be killed! I also think back to Bill Walton and his days playing in the NBA. It seemed like he broke a bone almost every year. Again, my apologies for :deadhorse.

No need to apologize...
:handshake:
I guess I shouldn't be surprised; Foster isn't. Last interview I saw from him he said he expects to get these "you oughta eat some meat" comments every time he has an off game ...or bad play...
:sigh:

Rey
09-23-2012, 10:23 AM

I know a lot of people who eat meat that would be killed if they played football.

Lucky
09-23-2012, 10:29 AM
\ I work with a vegan and if he ever played a down of football, on any level, he would be killed! I also think back to Bill Walton and his days playing in the NBA. It seemed like he broke a bone almost every year. Again, my apologies for :deadhorse.
Yao Ming must be a vegan. BTW, are Schaub and Andre leaning vegetarian? What about Mike Vick? Can every injury be explained by the amount of animal flesh in a player's diet?

hradhak
09-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Yao Ming must be a vegan. BTW, are Schaub and Andre leaning vegetarian? What about Mike Vick? Can every injury be explained by the amount of animal flesh in a player's diet?

Yes :pirate:

Brandon420tx
09-23-2012, 01:30 PM
The Rams Oline looks awful today

Big Consig
09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Looks like Harris will be more than just serviceable backup to Newton if the last two drives against Denver are any indication. Holding your own against the likes of Dumerville and Miller after coming in cold is a good sign - and I especially liked the pancake on Dumerville and Harris's thump on Dumerville's chest after he schooled him in the first series Harris came in.

76Texan
09-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I think at the bye week will be a good assessment of how the right side of our line is holding up. My guess is that teams will pick up on the fact that we only run to the left side of the line when we needed and by the bye week our right side is going to be tested. At the fins game, I didn't really see Newton getting beat very often. At this point he is not as good as Winston in run blocking, but and about the same in pass blocking, but again that's only with 2 sample points

Texans averaged 0.51 yards off LT (ranked 31st) and 4.73 off RT (ranked 10th).

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

It's not clear how the players were involved, but the difference is big enough to at least show that Newton has been effective in the run game.

I've been saying that there were more poor running plays to the left side and it seems like quite a few people didn't want to believe me.

Also, look at the last table where it shows we ran 6% of the time off LT and 10% of the time off RT.

They did not break down the runs off RG and LG, so on that part, we don't have separate numbers.