PDA

View Full Version : Simple question: Do you like the nickname "Bulls On Parade"?

ThaShark316
09-20-2012, 10:45 AM
I went to the GD thread for the JAX game and saw some folks that didn't...so I wanted to see where basically everyone was with that name...

I personally like it because of the track that goes with it. "Bulls on Parade" by RATM gets a brother hyped.

What say you, Texan fam?

Dutchrudder
09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm in between. Don't love it, don't hate it, but I think the song lyrics mean a lot more than people realize. Great song, but there's a lot more to it than a catchy title.

Music Video link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58-36lSqG4

gwallaia
09-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon, not a good nick-name for a football team.

MistaRed
09-20-2012, 11:01 AM
Love the nickname. Love the song even more.

ChampionTexan
09-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Many folks seem to have a problem with the reference to a festive procession as part of the nickname (even though it's clearly a military reference), yet have no problems with one of the best/most famous defenses of all time having a nickname that referenced window treatments.

I'm fine with it.

Double Barrel
09-20-2012, 11:09 AM
It's a good riff and I understand the desire to use it as an intro.

But has anyone even bothered to pay attention to the actual message of the song?

It's not very flattering of the military, stock market, U.S. foreign policy, and the manipulation of mainstream media to brainwash citizens.

yeah, that should be a nice song to play when they honor patriotism at the game.

Doppelganger
09-20-2012, 11:13 AM
To me a nickname should sound fierce and intimidating.

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
The Purple People Eaters.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

These teams played hard nosed defense and were utilized intimidating nicknames.

Bulls on Parade is not intimidating. I understand what it means, but it still comes across as passive. The Bulls are walking down the street. There is no raw aggression that comes to me when I think of that nickname.

Thus, I don't care for it.

Doppelganger
09-20-2012, 11:14 AM

But has anyone even bothered to pay attention to the actual message of the song?

It's not very flattering of the military, stock market, U.S. foreign policy, and the manipulation of mainstream media to brainwash citizens.

yeah, that should be a nice song to play when they honor patriotism at the game.

It's like when President Reagan used Born in the USA as his campaign song without actually listening to it or understanding what it means.

ATXtexanfan
09-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Hate it.

Texan_Bill
09-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Song - Yes!

Nickname - No!

Thorn
It's a horrible nickname. Just horrible. I can't stand it.

gtexan02
Not going to lie, but its probably the most effeminate nickname I've ever heard for a football team. Parades usually involve a lot of baton twirling, colorful balloons, and frilly costumes.

False Start
09-20-2012, 11:21 AM
I like the song, but the message conveyed in the song just doesn't make sense.

gtexan02
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
The biggest irony in all of this is that the song is likely a pretty scathing critique of so called "Family Values" that are the foundation of many conservative political beliefs.

Think about it. "Rally around the family with a pocket full of shells"

What is a male elephant called? Yeah, a bull

"Bulls on Parade" is about the hypocrisy of warmongering and family values being part of the same political ideology.

Look at the lyrics to the song:
Terror rains drenchin', quenchin' tha thirst of tha power dons
That five sided fist-a-gon
Tha rotten sore on tha face of mother earth gets bigger

and

Weapons not food, not homes, not shoes
Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Five sided fist a gon? Hmm wonder what that could be. Money going to weapons, not food homes or shoes? Hmm.

Just funny to have that as the theme song for a Texas team in which the majority of the fanbase is likely registered Republican

Texan_Bill
09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
The song is about weapons makers and the government (BOTH parties) being in bed together.

gtexan02
09-20-2012, 11:42 AM

100%. You nailed it. Very good riff, very strange message, silly sounding name

Bulls on Parade
09-20-2012, 11:50 AM
I listen to the song 10 times a day. Great song, great nickname. It will go down in history along with the Dooooomsday Defense, Purple People Eaters and Steel Curtain Defense.

CloakNNNdagger
09-20-2012, 11:52 AM

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

Bulls on Parade is not intimidating. I understand what it means, but it still comes across as passive. The Bulls are walking down the street. There is no raw aggression that comes to me when I think of that nickname.

Exactly how I feel except I would have to change "I don't care for it" to "I hate the pansy-like connotation."

The question I would have to ask is when you think of "Bulls on Parade," do you picture

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles/75307/projects/205534/753071238712538.jpg [Thanks to Rey for previously posting this pic]

or

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2011/07/arian_3.jpg

Ranger Tom
09-20-2012, 11:54 AM
To those who don't like it, would you prefer something like The Stampede?

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
There needs to be a third option in the poll which is "meh". Cause that's where I'm at with it. I like the song and I don't mind them playing it.

But I'm not a big fan of nicknames and this one feels forced to me. People have been trying to force a nickname on our defense for 10 years now and I'm just not into that.

If people want to call it that, fine. But whatEV.

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Uh, no.

And no Bull Rush, either.

Bulls on Parade
09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
Listening to "Rage Against the Machine" with my speakers on full blast. It gets me fired up and excited each time. Be right back... Going to go eat some raw eggs, bench press a Buick Truck and sprint 10 miles outside. Bulls on Parade!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger
09-20-2012, 12:15 PM

I could see this song/video [Chris LeDoux STAMPEDED (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5oW1Ynmsd0)] easily re-adapted. Would rather have him represent the official song and be the singing voice of the Texans than Clay Walker.

Marcus
09-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I think it's queerer than a three dollar bill.

GP
09-20-2012, 12:21 PM
The Walking Dead.

Nothing scares more than zombies coming after you.

It's really the best choice. We will keep clawing, crawling, running, whatever it takes to get to the opponent.

They could play the creepy music, zombie sound effects after a sack. Fans could dress as zombies.

Beats da hell outta Bulls On Parade.

TexanSam
09-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Not a fan of the name, but if it sticks due to our defense dominating for years then I'm sure I'll come around to liking it. I didn't like the name Texans at first either but took a liking to it as well.

Ultimately all that matters is how the D plays and if we win or lose.

Doppelganger
09-20-2012, 12:30 PM
The Gas House Gang.

Gas House, becuase Houston is known as a oil and gas town and Gang to convey aggressiveness.

On second thought, yeah I am not good at this.

gtexan02
09-20-2012, 12:31 PM
The Gas House Gang.

Gas House, becuase Houston is known as a oil and gas town and Gang to convey aggressiveness.

On second thought, yeah I am not good at this.

I have some relatives who already have a trademark on "The Gas House" but only after they eat Mexican food.

HOU-TEX
09-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Personally, I don't really care about nicknames anymore. They can call themselves whatever the heck they want as long as they stop/slow down opposing offenses

eriadoc
09-20-2012, 12:50 PM
You can take the most testosterone fueled, gnarly, bad ass metal song int he world and give it a title like Guys in Tutus and it becomes a bad song. Sorry, Bulls on Parade is just fkn stupid. In all actuality, I'd use a different word if we weren't in public. I hate it.

EDIT to add:

I saw Marcus' post after I posted:

What he said.

Lurvinator11
09-20-2012, 01:27 PM
Rage Against The Machine are known for their political outcries. A good bunch of their songs are always critical of the party in charge. I actually love their songs. Not meaning to get political here, but their songs are a perfect example of freedom of speech. They always sang a song that a majority of America probably wouldn't agree with, but it was their right. I have mad respect for them for that, and Tom Morrello is a guitar god. Right up there with Hendirx and Harrison.

Just to clarify, I don't agree with the meaning of their songs either. For starters, the majority of their songs were written while I was still very young, so I wasn't involved with the issues that were going on at the time. I don't accept anarchy either, which is what they promote in a way. Just because I don't like the meaning doesn't mean I don't like their songs. They are so awesome.

Political issues aside, (and I only made those points because some of the posters seemed to have a problem with the meaning of the song rather than the sound of it) I love the nickname. It's like what FS said, it gets you revved up. Also, it doesn't matter if this board doesn't like it, because it has been etched into the hype machine. They play it at every game, and even the coaches tweet about it with #bullsonparade Whether we like it, or not, it isn't going away anytime soon.

I feel like, years from now we will look back and think fondly of it. When I was younger, I used to hate when the Astros would play the buzzing sound when one of the Killer B's came up. I found it annoying, but I think back on it now, and I miss it. (Well, I also miss the Astros winning too.)

So, yeah. Regardless on if we like it or not, We still have an awesome defense. GOOOOOOOOOOO TEXANS!!!!!!

Joeycharp89
09-20-2012, 01:32 PM
Exactly how I feel except I would have to change "I don't care for it" to "I hate the pansy-like connotation."

The question I would have to ask is when you think of "Bulls on Parade," do you picture

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles/75307/projects/205534/753071238712538.jpg [Thanks to Rey for previously posting this pic]

or

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2011/07/arian_3.jpg

I don't know cloak, I'm kinda intimidated by Arian Foster doing anything, including riding a mechanical bull.

I just think you have to take the entire title into context, instead of focusing on the word 'parade' by itself. If a bunch of bulls parade through the streets I doubt it would include baton whirling or floats of famous cartoon characters.

Tailgate
09-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Dont hate it, dont love it. Works best only when song is playing in background at games. Doesnt have enough to catch on nationally.

I really wish we could just revive the house of pain. It was ours in the first place.

Lurvinator11
09-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Dont hate it, dont love it. Works best only when song is playing in background at games. Doesnt have enough to catch on nationally.

I really wish we could just revive the house of pain. It was ours in the first place.

If we did that, Bud Adams would sue us and flip the bird at us :kitten:

rolyat93
09-20-2012, 01:41 PM
See my sig.

Hervoyel
09-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I think it's a poor choice. I would gladly never hear it again if I could make that happen.

eriadoc
09-20-2012, 01:59 PM
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/521917650_1/DMC-06-Milk-cow-inflatable-Moving-Cartoon-air-blower-fan-100-Guarantee-Customize-100-positive-feedback.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4071/4328424881_fa0b847541_z.jpg

SCOTTexans
09-20-2012, 02:05 PM

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

Just think what people were saying about the Purple People Eaters defense when that nickname first came out.....:backsout:

I wouldn't call it fierce and Intimidating

dc_txtech
09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
I would have voted "meh" if it was an option. I don't have the disdain for the name that a lot of folks on here do but I also don't think it's a great nickname.

TejasTom
09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Song - Yes!

Nickname - No!

I just try to think of it as the running of bulls in Pamplona.

Opposing offenses get stomped and gorged.

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

SheTexan
09-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Never heard the song, never heard of the group, and don't like the nickname. It simply does NOT make sense, esp for those of us who don't get into whatever kind of music that is. If that's where they got the name from then SHAME on Connor Barwin, I think it was him who started the whole thing, for picking such a lame name. I would rather not have a nickname for them at all. JMO!

Hagar
09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Its gay.

Seņor Stan
09-20-2012, 02:15 PM
If that's where they got the name from then SHAME on Connor Barwin, I think it was him who started the whole thing, for picking such a lame name. I would rather not have a nickname for them at all. JMO!

Barwin also wears capri pants.

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Just think what people were saying about the Purple People Eaters defense when that nickname first came out.....:backsout:

AND it was because of a song that was popular at the time: The One-Eyed Flying Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley. Loved that song when I was 5-6 years old.

Vinny
09-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I keep thinking to myself...what other team has such a idiotic sounding nickname for their defense?

Thorn
09-20-2012, 02:18 PM
I can't believe there are that many people who have voted for that awful name. That nickname is just putrid. If I thought it might happen, I'd offer the admins a couple hundred bucks just to ban that name from displaying like they do certain curse words.

TexansFanatic
09-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Didn't we have this identical thread last year?

The nickname Bulls on Parade is extraordinarily gay. Steeped in gayness. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The tune is killer. The nickname is....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/WindowsLiveWriter/Gay_Pride_Parade_NYCR108.jpg

jshabang
09-20-2012, 02:50 PM
Havent logged in to my acct in months........just been lurking and reading......but this made me log in just to say

HATED IT!!!!!! ........this nick name is the worse.......I thought I was alone on it.....so thats why I never said anything......but I see I'm not alone........lol

gtexan02
09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
http://houston.cowparade.com/image/cow/med/9173.jpg

Front page at Houston Cow Parade AKA the Texans nickname

http://houston.cowparade.com/image/head/logo_blue0.gif

Nothing against the Cow Parade either. I thought it was awesome and very enjoyable. Kudos to the artists, all of them, for being so inventive and making such cool works of public art. But as a nickname for our defense? Nah

Big Lou
09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
The Walking Dead.

Nothing scares more than zombies coming after you.

It's really the best choice. We will keep clawing, crawling, running, whatever it takes to get to the opponent.

They could play the creepy music, zombie sound effects after a sack. Fans could dress as zombies.

Beats da hell outta Bulls On Parade.

They need to be those "28 Days Later" fast zombies though.

As for the song, I dislike the band, so I voted no. Rage against the Machine is part of the "machine"..........

Could go with "The Monster Mash" after a sack. J/K

Mr teX
09-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Like the song beat & all..it does inspire chaos & destruction......things defenses like to do offenses

but I honestly don't think our defense is that good to where they deserve a nickname If we start shutting down teams........ really good teams, then i think we'd deserve 1. So far, we've just handled our business like we were expected to.

lol, so my answer is no

mokalus
09-20-2012, 04:39 PM
"Bulls on Parade" is something you'd never yell at a game or anything like that. It just doesn't have the right ring to it. As someone mentioned earlier, claiming back "House of Pain" would be awesome. Other ideas, maybe some play on the "Republic of Texas" or something having to do with the Alamo? Or is that too much associated with just San Antonio?

Edit: I love the idea of "SWAT TEAM."

TexansFanatic
09-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Houston Texans --- Bulls on Parade (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQXGMqmI2s)

Rey
09-20-2012, 06:10 PM
A few thoughts regarding my support of the name--

Most important thing is that it's stuck because it wasn't some corny, forced nickname that some dude sat around trying to 'cleverly' come up with. It was a name that the team embraced and it makes sense to me.

I don't know anything about the song, but apparently it is a song that inspires destruction and it sounds nice on gamedays.

Honestly when I think of the name bulls on parade I think of big, muscular nice looking bulls being shown being shown off for a crowd of people.

I never got the pink prissy tutu imagery as I've never seen that in a parade. Maybe I'm sheltered but I mostly have seen bands, floats of various kinds, dancers, rotc, armed service stuff and oh yeah....the rockets after they won a championship.

All of you that don't like it now will love it after we win the superbowl this year and the bulls really are on parade.

Rey
09-20-2012, 06:13 PM
You guys wanna come up with a forced name for the d line or the other position groups or individual players, have at it.

But the defense, and maybe the entire team at this point has embraced bulls on parade.

macho grande
09-20-2012, 06:24 PM
You guys wanna come up with a forced name for the d line or the other position groups or individual players, have at it.

But the defense, and maybe the entire team at this point has embraced bulls on parade.

And the name still sucks.

ObsiWan
09-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Direct answer: No.

All my reasons have been stated by others.

However... don't matter what I think about it if the guys in the locker room have embraced it. If it really, truly fires them up, then so be it.

PapaL
09-20-2012, 06:43 PM
I honestly don't care but other teams no Bulls On Parade is the Texans D.

Showtime100
09-20-2012, 06:50 PM
Dumbest, dorkiest nickname I have ever heard. When the Texans get a sack and I see that name on the gamethread it almost takes to fun out of the sack.

Almost as dorky as Texan fight songs......almost.

Love my team, but can't stand all this crap people feel the need to tie them to.

Corrosion
09-20-2012, 06:51 PM
I dont much care for nicknames .... I'd rather call them the Houston Texans.

DocBar
09-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I hate everything about "Bulls on Parade". Damage Inc. nails it.

rolyat93
09-20-2012, 07:41 PM

So Bulls on Parade isn't a forced nickname in itself?

False Start
09-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I dont much care for nicknames .... I'd rather call them the Houston Texans.

I prefer the BAMF'in defense myself.

Showtime100
09-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I prefer the BAMF'in defense myself.

Now THAT I could work with. :clap:

Corrosion
09-20-2012, 07:57 PM
I prefer The Houston Texans BAMF'in Defense myself.

Fixed. :chickendance:

BullBlitz
09-20-2012, 08:41 PM
No.

False Start
09-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Fixed. :chickendance:

Garcia. :tiphat:

DRP
09-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Like the song, but not a big fan of the nickname

Grams
09-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Didn't we have this identical thread last year?

The nickname Bulls on Parade is extraordinarily gay. Steeped in gayness. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

The tune is killer. The nickname is....

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouthflorida/WindowsLiveWriter/Gay_Pride_Parade_NYCR108.jpg

Exactly!

aussie_texan
09-20-2012, 10:15 PM
cant believe its got to a point where the board is no longer talking about how terrible our defence is but talking about the nickname our DOMINATE defence has. How the times have changed

:texflag: :fans:

TheMatrix31
09-20-2012, 10:35 PM

Biggest reason why I don't like it. Screw Rage Against The Machine.

Like I've said for a while, the D should be called "Damage Inc."

False Start
09-20-2012, 11:04 PM

Much better song than Bulls on Parade! Old school Metallica kicks ass. :jam:

Maddict5
09-20-2012, 11:10 PM
like the song, meh on the nickname. nearky all nicknames are lame anyway so i dont see why ppl are so anti against it.... esp when it does kinda fit- team mascot is a bull, things are shown off on parades = texans showing off how good they are every week

Brisco_County
09-20-2012, 11:18 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Rage song, the name suggests pageantry, which is only a little less intimidating than an appletini.

Those that are familiar with the song know that Rage are devout Marxists who highly dislike American culture, but they don't care because Rage rocks.

Personally, I think the name is silly because so many fans are older and fit into group A, and the fact that group B is either dismissive or ignorant of the meaning of the song is both ironic and a little embarrassing. Football is a primary staple of mainstream American culture, which Rage believes is a propaganda tool of an evil capitalist system. The song Bullet in the Head comes to mind. Or look inside the sleeve of the Evil Empire album, and see the book with a football player on the front, which is about how atheletics perpetuates male chauvenism or some nonsense.

I do agree that Rage rocks (their tape cassette hardly ever left my player in high school), but their music is a bad fit for representing the Texans. And plus I hate Cadillac Marxists.

ChampionTexan
09-20-2012, 11:51 PM

AND it was because of a song that was popular at the time: The One-Eyed Flying Purple People Eater by Sheb Wooley. Loved that song when I was 5-6 years old.

Yep, intimidating as can be.
http://eaters.trailertheater.com/trailer-images/e/a/Ung0N3FySDFHUnM=.jpg
or the even more intimidating animated version.
http://www.shebwooley.com/images/PurplePeopleEater.gif

Lucky
09-21-2012, 07:51 AM
The players seem to have embraced the nickname. Wade likes it. I bought the t-shirt after the playoff game, so I guess I'm OK with it.

Just like you can sometimes choose to be offended, some have chosen to reflect what they perceive as negative connotations with the moniker. In of itself, there's really nothing wrong with "Bull on Parade".

Craig.
09-21-2012, 08:08 AM
Barwin also wears capri pants.

This can't be quoted enough.

HJam72
09-21-2012, 08:23 AM
For those who aren't familiar with the Rage song, the name suggests pageantry, which is only a little less intimidating than an appletini.

Those that are familiar with the song know that Rage are devout Marxists who highly dislike American culture, but they don't care because Rage rocks.

Personally, I think the name is silly because so many fans are older and fit into group A, and the fact that group B is either dismissive or ignorant of the meaning of the song is both ironic and a little embarrassing. Football is a primary staple of mainstream American culture, which Rage believes is a propaganda tool of an evil capitalist system. The song Bullet in the Head comes to mind. Or look inside the sleeve of the Evil Empire album, and see the book with a football player on the front, which is about how atheletics perpetuates male chauvenism or some nonsense.

I do agree that Rage rocks (their tape cassette hardly ever left my player in high school), but their music is a bad fit for representing the Texans. And plus I hate Cadillac Marxists.

Off-topic, but that whole subject irritates me. You don't see me complaining that people don't drool over my hairy legs or buy me diamonds, cars, and hold doors open for me because I have great tatas. Be happy with what you've got, try to make the most of it (and, yeah, if you're a female that can actually kick butt at football without a boatload of male, synthetic hormones, GO FOR IT), and stop griping that you can't be Tom Brady, a dominant nose-guard, Alan Greenspan, and Marilyn Monroe all rolled into one.

TejasTom
09-21-2012, 08:48 AM
...which is only a little less intimidating than an appletini...

I've been hiding under the bed since I read this.....

TexansFanatic
09-21-2012, 09:21 AM

I don't know, man. Have you ever spent an evening with a woman who's had 10 appletinis? That's some frightening shyte right there!

ObsiWan
09-21-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't know, man. Have you ever spent an evening with a woman who's had 10 appletinis? That's some frightening shyte right there!

Any woman that can down ten appletinis and is still functional for the rest of an evening is frightening!

....and yet strangely appealing at the same time...
:kitten:

Showtime100
09-21-2012, 09:56 AM
The players seem to have embraced the nickname. Wade likes it. I bought the t-shirt after the playoff game, so I guess I'm OK with it.

Just like you can sometimes choose to be offended, some have chosen to reflect what they perceive as negative connotations with the moniker. In of itself, there's really nothing wrong with "Bull on Parade".

No, the name just sucks.

drs23
09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
No, the name just sucks.

I'm with ST and everyone else that thinks it sucks but as has been pointed out: Better get used to it. The DC is using it on his twatts and I've heard it bandied about by the talking heads as well. I think it's already stuck. Yuck!

TexansFanatic
09-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Any woman that can down ten appletinis and is still functional for the rest of an evening is frightening!

....and yet strangely appealing at the same time...
:kitten:

Haha! Sounds like you may suffer from the same debilitating illness I've suffered with for years: an attraction to insane women.

And who said anything about remaining functional? ;-)

Double Barrel
09-21-2012, 11:00 AM
Direct answer: No.

All my reasons have been stated by others.

However... don't matter what I think about it if the guys in the locker room have embraced it. If it really, truly fires them up, then so be it.

Pretty much what I've resigned myself to, as well. If it gets the defense fired up, then whatever. Like mentioned upthread, if they win a Super Bowl, it will make the name relevant and we will all come to accept it.

I hate everything about "Bulls on Parade". Damage Inc. nails it.

Much better song than Bulls on Parade! Old school Metallica kicks ass. :jam:

That's FOUR folks for Damage, Inc.!!!! :headbang:

Yep, intimidating as can be.

or the even more intimidating animated version.
http://www.shebwooley.com/images/PurplePeopleEater.gif

I think a name suggesting cannibalism and the savagery that's associated with eating human flesh is far more sinister than anything a parade has to offer. JMO

Plus, I don't think they glossed themselves. The immortal team names in the NFL were bestowed by either sports writers or NFL Films. But, different time, I guess.

GNTLEWOLF
09-21-2012, 11:39 AM
I've just been reading all the comments on this and had intended not to respond but now I've decided to add my two cents:
I too think that "Bulls on Parade" thing just sounds too gay.
I wouldn't mind if they called themselves "Mad Bull" or "Bulls from Hell" or Iron Bulls" or something like that, But I cringe everytime I hear of the dainty prancing "Bulls on Parade".
Sorry it just conjures images that make me sick.
Now, if they ride that thing to a Superbowl victory, I'll cringe and bear it. And apparently, the team likes it....gaggggggggggggggg!!!!

b0ng
09-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I think you people trying to force a different nickname are trying to hard.

I think the people talking about what the song actually means and how ironic it is for the Texans to use it must think that Bob McNair introduced the idea to Connor Barwin.

I think it's funny that it pisses so many people off.

Finally I think I really don't care what the hell the players call their defense as long as they keep putting their cleats to the opponents necks. They could call themselves the Montrose Fairies for all I care, as long as they are holding people to 10 points or less who gives a ****.

Brisco_County
09-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't mind if they called themselves "Mad Bull" or "Bulls from Hell" or Iron Bulls" or something like that, But I cringe everytime I hear of the dainty prancing "Bulls on Parade".

Or Bayou Bulls?

Double Barrel
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
The only people trying to force a nickname are the Texans players and the stadium playing the song.

Suggestions from fans are just that, suggestions. Nobody is starting petitions or getting t-shirt made here.

As for irony, I thought that years ago when the Texans were playing Marilyn Manson's "Beautiful People" at games. I doubt anyone pays attention to the lyrics of songs when they are just lifting the opening riff for bumper music. But we can still find it funny.

False Start
09-21-2012, 01:03 PM
I would love for the D to come out to "Walk" by Pantera (http://youtu.be/AkFqg5wAuFk).

RE-SPECT! Walk on home boy!

The Pencil Neck
09-21-2012, 01:06 PM
I think you people trying to force a different nickname are trying to hard.

I think the people talking about what the song actually means and how ironic it is for the Texans to use it must think that Bob McNair introduced the idea to Connor Barwin.

I think it's funny that it pisses so many people off.

Finally I think I really don't care what the hell the players call their defense as long as they keep putting their cleats to the opponents necks. They could call themselves the Montrose Fairies for all I care, as long as they are holding people to 10 points or less who gives a ****.

The Montrose Fairies?

:thinking:

I like the sound of that. That's about as scary as you can get right there.

Brisco_County
09-21-2012, 01:20 PM
I would love for the D to come out to "Walk" by Pantera (http://youtu.be/AkFqg5wAuFk).

I always thought that "A New Level" by Pantera would be a great intro at an MMA bout. Thinking about it, it'd be perfect for the Texans too. Lyrics (http://www.songlyrics.com/pantera/a-new-level-lyrics/). "Revolution is My Name" would also be a killer intro.

b0ng
09-21-2012, 01:31 PM

Best intro song that will never get played anywhere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiMaOmDtaYI) *****NSFW*****

EDIT: Also, I like viewing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQXGMqmI2s) and I think the song fits.

Double Barrel
09-21-2012, 01:52 PM
I like the Disturbed loop that they have always played to bring out the players.

But has anyone checked out the lyrics to "Down With The Sickness"? :mcnugget:

b0ng
09-21-2012, 02:07 PM
I like the Disturbed loop that they have always played to bring out the players.

But has anyone checked out the lyrics to "Down With The Sickness"? :mcnugget:

If it's got 3 - 5 catchy words it'll fly and nobody will know the difference. I'm kind of surprised they don't play more rap with how big the rap scene is/was in Houston.

Dread-Head
09-21-2012, 02:35 PM

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

I would have loved something "The Bull Rush" or something.

The Pencil Neck
09-21-2012, 02:37 PM
I would have loved something "The Bull Rush" or something.

Well, for several years, we had the Bull Crap defense...

b0ng
09-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Well, for several years, we had the Bull Crap defense...

I always liked to think of it as the Texans laying out the Battle Red Carpet to the endzone.

Joe Texan
09-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Its not even a nickname for the Texans defense.

Oops better try again

TheMatrix31
09-21-2012, 07:56 PM

That would be awesome.

kingh99
09-21-2012, 08:22 PM
Is Bull Rush too obvious because that's exactly what they do.

Kthx
09-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Big energy city, JJ Watt.

Lights Out Defense.
Electric Company

rather do something like that honestly. Voted no btw.

Premier
09-21-2012, 11:58 PM
i love mean intimidating nicknames like sweetness and the tyler rose..

smh you old geezers need to relax, bulls on parade isnt going anywhere. continuing to recommend some tryhard, intimidation filled nickname like the stampede or damage inc isnt going to happen.. the walking dead, smh..

you guys that continue to say its gay. well, meaner, tougher men than you have had even more effeminate nicknames. if you hear parade and immediately think of pride festivals than so be it..

when i hear the nickname this is what i think of..

http://media.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/images/2010/jul10/running_bulls_sm/running_bulls18.jpg

Beer and Metal
09-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Best intro song that will never get played anywhere (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiMaOmDtaYI) *****NSFW*****

EDIT: Also, I like viewing this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQXGMqmI2s) and I think the song fits.

I've got the perfect song for a good "hits" video. Anyone here want to team up and do a youtube video? I've never done anything like that.
There's no longer any tracks on the web, and I'd have to find the cd sleeve to get the exact lyrics.
It was originally written about the military after desert storm, but it would perfect for football or even MMA. It's heavy punked-up hardcore.

The lyrics go something like this:

Contact - Bombshop 101

Brace for contact, full speed collision
(something) We orchestrate hit and runs
Pray for our opponents when we attack
Brutal, lethal, fill the body bags

Mercenaries a simple fact
No remorse, we signed a contract
Back and forth the pendulum swings
M*****Fer get in the ring

How do you spell hype?
Today's prototype

We want contact, we want it now
Do what they want, obey the crowd
With a vengeance, full frontal assault
Destroy the threat, brought to a halt

What kind a force could do such a thing?
An overpowering warrior, a one-man gang
Back and forth the pendulum swings
M****Fer get in the ring!

How do you spell hype?
Today's prototype

Bracing for contact, full speed collision

CONTACT!
CONTACT!
CONTACT!
CONTACT!
CONTACT!

ArlingtonTexan
09-22-2012, 01:58 AM
i love mean intimidating nicknames like sweetness and the tyler rose..

smh you old geezers need to relax, bulls on parade isnt going anywhere. continuing to recommend some tryhard, intimidation filled nickname like the stampede or damage inc isnt going to happen.. the walking dead, smh..

you guys that continue to say its gay. well, meaner, tougher men than you have had even more effeminate nicknames. if you hear parade and immediately think of pride festivals than so be it..

when i hear the nickname this is what i think of..

http://media.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/images/2010/jul10/running_bulls_sm/running_bulls18.jpg

My only problem with Bulls on Parade is that does not roll off the tongue easily. I will let others have not liking Rage, or not macho, or coming from a song etc.

thunderkyss
09-22-2012, 01:59 AM
I like the jam aspect of the song. I never cared for the "political" RATM, I love Audioslave.

Everytime I hear the phrase "Bulls on Parade" I think of "Elephants on Parade" from Dumbo Just doesn't sound though & manly enough for our defense. Back in the Travis Johnson days maybe, but nowadays, not so much.

Grid
09-22-2012, 02:21 AM
I personally dont understand the issue people have with it. Bulls on parade does not bring anything "effeminate" to mind for me. I think bulls, and military, and that beat in the RATM song.

I dont automatically associate the word parade with baton twirling and old men in go-carts though. For some reason, some people are incapable of associating the word parade with the military.. which, historically, is what a parade is.

Whatever the case... it doesnt really matter what we think. Like it or hate it.. the players have identified with it, and the national media has caught wind of it. My advice would be to untwist your panties and embrace it whole-heartedly. The more we, the fans, boast about it..the more likely we are to have our defense become an icon in the NFL. If we continue to rail against the name, we are only gonna hurt our chances of being in the record books :D.

You may not want to put a Bulls on Parade sticker on your cherry '79 Camaro... or iron the patch on your Members Only jacket, but the sooner you can stop lobbying for whatever 80's action movie title you have been wanting to call our defense, the sooner we can stop having this conversation and get back to just enjoying being a dominate force in the NFL.

The Pencil Neck
09-22-2012, 03:03 AM
The problem is that some people think parade:

http://englishrussia.com/images/victory_parade/1.jpg

and other people think parade:

http://funfourthfestival.org/parade/images/FFP2.JPG

Or worse... parade:

http://moonbattery.com/sao-paulo-gay-pride-parade.jpg

wildroot
09-22-2012, 01:33 PM
The first thing I think of now when I hear "Bulls on Parade" is the Gay Pride Parade...someone said it last year, I tend to agree.

Say Watt
09-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I like it because the players have embraced it. I agree it isn't the best nickname but if the song gets them pumped up and they like it, then I am for whatever makes them the best defense in the NFL.

Say Watt
09-22-2012, 01:49 PM
I personally dont understand the issue people have with it. Bulls on parade does not bring anything "effeminate" to mind for me. I think bulls, and military, and that beat in the RATM song.

I dont automatically associate the word parade with baton twirling and old men in go-carts though. For some reason, some people are incapable of associating the word parade with the military.. which, historically, is what a parade is.

Whatever the case... it doesnt really matter what we think. Like it or hate it.. the players have identified with it, and the national media has caught wind of it. My advice would be to untwist your panties and embrace it whole-heartedly. The more we, the fans, boast about it..the more likely we are to have our defense become an icon in the NFL. If we continue to rail against the name, we are only gonna hurt our chances of being in the record books :D.

You may not want to put a Bulls on Parade sticker on your cherry '79 Camaro... or iron the patch on your Members Only jacket, but the sooner you can stop lobbying for whatever 80's action movie title you have been wanting to call our defense, the sooner we can stop having this conversation and get back to just enjoying being a dominate force in the NFL.

Great post. I agree with you completely. Rep to you!

TexansBull
11-21-2013, 07:16 AM
So when the Texans clean house the coaches can take "Bulls on Parade" with them as they leave. Time to retire it.

Exascor
11-21-2013, 07:28 AM
It really fits our defense this year:

http://www.spiritualsafari.com/janananda/jg_mar_2009/Bulls_on_parade_on_Govardhan_Puja_day.jpg

TheIronDuke
11-21-2013, 08:53 AM
More like Fools on Parade. HAHAHAHAHA OMG

Raf
11-21-2013, 09:19 AM
I hate the name. Not because I don't know what it means, much less imply...of course I do. I know where it's derived from.

My problem with it is that the masses DO NOT get it and thus think of a literal parade of slow paced bulls painted for the occassion. It's that perception that I loathe.

Dutchrudder
11-21-2013, 09:32 AM
More like Bull**** on Parade.

amirite?

chicagotexan2
11-21-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm going with Bulls Biodegrade.

That song applied to the team in 2011 when they got after other teams. Now they seem to have a 'turn the other' cheek mentality. The PA needs to replace that song with Alec Baldwins monolague from Glen Gary Glen Ross. Put the coffee down. Coffee is for closers.

Say Watt
11-21-2013, 09:41 AM
I hate it now. Everything we have done since Barwin, Bulls on Parade, and the Letterman Jackets has been a failure. Time for the team to find a new nickname.

TexansSeminole
11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
No, I don't. It sounds goofy. This isn't the local kickball team. I prefer they not have a nickname unless it comes naturally and sounds intimidating.

Maybe they should spend less time embracing nicknames and more time studying film, because they suck.

I also don't understand the "the national media had embraced it" comment. I've never heard the national media refer to them as this unless they are reporting the nickname that the players like to go by. If they started randomly referring to us as "bulls on parade" I would probably laugh at it.

CloakNNNdagger
11-21-2013, 10:08 AM

The Steel Curtain.
The House of Pain.
Monsters of the Midway.
The Fearsome Foursome.
The Doomsday Defense.

Exactly my feelings.

"Bulls on Parade" for me only brings to mind the picture of the clownish cow art that was at one time scattered throughout Houston.:clown:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/news.hjnews.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/9/08/908c8e80-2d31-11e2-8370-001a4bcf887a/50a1a29d7699e.image.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7151451_f520.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/11906580.jpg

Showtime100
11-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Worst nickname ever. I thought it when this thread came about and I think it now. I'm hoping a side effect of the Texans horrible play is this nickname going away forever.

TheIronDuke
11-21-2013, 10:30 AM
More like Bull**** on Parade.

amirite?

No, it's FOOLS on Parade. HAHAHAHHA

speedfreek
11-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Steers on parade!

TJ

TejasTom
11-21-2013, 10:34 AM
I hoped it left with Barwin.

TheIronDuke
11-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Steers on parade!

TJ

That doesn't even make any sense. We're sticking with Fools on Parade and that's that.

Tools on Parade would also be acceptable.

Dutchrudder
11-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Steers on parade!

TJ

Does that make the Cowboys queers?

Showtime100
11-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Does that make the Cowboys queers?

The Cowboys were queers long before the Texans came along. :D

htownfan32
11-21-2013, 10:47 AM
They should call them the Matadors, because that's exactly how they face opposing offenses this season.

Trail.Blazr
11-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I heard the term "Bulls on Charade" recently and got a good chuckle.

The song is great. Nickname sucks, but I see what the logic was... a bad ass song with attitude.. why not link it to a defense? well... it is what it is, but it doesn't quite do it for me, for whatever reason.

bhsman
11-21-2013, 11:04 AM
It's still a pretty good nickname, but any sort of team-related saying loses it's punch when the team is bad. Once the team is competitive again, I'm sure #BullsOnParade will be the cool thing to say once again.

Double Barrel
11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
"Tha rotten sore on tha face of mother earth gets bigger"

A line from the song, and certainly epitomizes seeing a former 12-4 team meltdown an entire season with an 8 game losing streak.

Time to close the book on the Kubiak era, and let this silly nickname be just another chapter.

Dread-Head
11-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Song - Yes!

Nickname - No!

We should call them the "BMF" defense and get them those wallets that Samuel Jackson had in Pulp Fiction to illustrate the point.

Hervoyel
11-21-2013, 12:25 PM
I want a t-shirt with "BULLS ON PARADE" across the back but in front I want it to say

"My team drafted Conner Barwin and all we got was this lousy nickname"

Hate it and instantly assume anyone using it sincerely is complete moron

HOU-TEX
11-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I want a t-shirt with "BULLS ON PARADE" across the back but in front I want it to say

Yeah, I don't know if it makes me think the person's a moron, but it kinda pisses me off.

I didn't like it when Barwin came up with it and dang sure don't like it now. This defense hasn't been worthy of a nickname, especially one that was self-promoted. One good season doesn't equal Luv Ya Blue type status, imo

Hervoyel
11-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah, I don't know if it makes me think the person's a moron, but it kinda pisses me off.

I didn't like it when Barwin came up with it and dang sure don't like it now. This defense hasn't been worthy of a nickname, especially one that was self-promoted. One good season doesn't equal Luv Ya Blue type status, imo

Lets put it this way. If I walk into a room and catch a person wearing an oversized white shirt with "CHOOSE LIFE" on it dancing to "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" then I'm making the same call I'd make if I saw them before a Texans game screaming "BULLS ON PARADE! WHOOOOOHOOOOO!"

HOU-TEX
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Lets put it this way. If I walk into a room and catch a person wearing an oversized white shirt with "CHOOSE LIFE" on it dancing to "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" then I'm making the same call I'd make if I saw them before a Texans game screaming "BULLS ON PARADE! WHOOOOOHOOOOO!"

lol. Nice

Uncle Rico
11-21-2013, 01:15 PM
Always felt it was pretty stupid considering the context of the song it was based on.

Bulls on Parade
11-21-2013, 01:30 PM
I like it because it fits with the team name and logo, not just the song. Also the Texans cheerleaders still go by Babes on Parade as one of their nicknames. And while you can associate it with the Texans defense, which is lousy right now, I believe they'll do the name proud for the next two decades starting in 2014. Our defense may soon be anchored by two beasts in J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney.

I can stomach another six more losses in 2013 if it means a great defense for the next 12, 13, 14, 15 years, etc... etc... We may move back to the 4-3 defense unless Wade Phillips and the current coaching staff stays. I'd rather play a 4-3 with Watt at LE and Clowney at RE. We can fill in two defensive tackles. Hopefully Cushing is back at MLB and have Reed and Mercilus at OLB. Maybe we can draft a cornerback and defensive tackle early in rounds two or three.

It's our defense which needs the help right now. As much as we need a right tackle and quarterback, I'm almost tempted to just bring everybody back on offense next year (even Schaub since he's under contract) and simply try to upgrade right tackle in free agency. We just need to have a healthy Arian Foster and Owen Daniels.

Dutchrudder
11-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Babes on Parade makes sense for cheerleaders though.

The defense would need to be "Bulls on a Rampage" or something more menacing to have any real bite to it.

Thorn
11-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Don't like the name, never did. But it doesn't bother me as much these days for some reason. Right now the only nickname the Texans deserve is "Losers on Parade".

The sooner they get past the funk they're in the better, then whatever they're called is fine. As long as they're winning.

Bulls on Parade
11-21-2013, 01:40 PM

The defense would need to be "Bulls on a Rampage" or something more menacing to have any real bite to it.
That's exactly what it will feel like to opposing offenses who have to decide whether they will double J.J. Watt or Jadeveon Clowney. You can't use four guys (OL or TE) just to chip both of them. We are going to give even a talented quarterback like Andrew Luck a lot of fits twice a year for the rest of his career.

http://youtu.be/SgLJiDjX-v8

I guess you can say I already know who I want in the first round. If we end up losing to the Jaguars twice in the next three weeks, we will have a top three pick, likely the first overall pick, all wrapped up.

Showtime100
11-21-2013, 01:44 PM

Hell, I'd take "Bulls A Little Annoyed" over BOP...lol. :smiliedance:

bhsman
11-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Have fun being hilariously judgmental, I guess.

Carr Bombed
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Looking back.. there was never a "parade of bulls", It was more like the running of the bulls where the opposition was just quartering them inside the ring and on their way to the slaughter house.

The "jump the shark" moment for this regime was "Letter jacketgate" and it's been a downhill plummet ever since.

amazing80
11-21-2013, 05:29 PM
how about "baby calves milking"...they arent playing like bulls

Vinny
11-21-2013, 05:36 PM
I hate it now. Everything we have done since Barwin, Bulls on Parade, and the Letterman Jackets has been a failure. Time for the team to find a new nickname.

the curse of the forced, premature nickname

Hervoyel
11-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Have fun being hilariously judgmental, I guess.

Will do!

Marcus
11-21-2013, 05:38 PM

I said it then, and I'm saying it now. And I think anyone who likes it, is queerer than a three dollar bill.

amazing80
11-21-2013, 06:09 PM

I agree and will take it one step further. Giving YOURSELF a nickname is stupid. No great person/team has created their own nickname. Its like the "nerd" from high school creating a nickname for himself prior to college, dude at the end of the day you're a nerd and no one will call you Rainman....

Carr Bombed
11-21-2013, 06:23 PM
I agree and will take it one step further. Giving YOURSELF a nickname is stupid. No great person/team has created their own nickname. Its like the "nerd" from high school creating a nickname for himself prior to college, dude at the end of the day you're a nerd and no one will call you Rainman....

To illustrate everything you said and put it in pics..

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130606191824/marriedwithchildren/images/thumb/7/7b/Grandmaster_B_finale.jpg/800px-Grandmaster_B_finale.jpg

And the Texans picked option #3

http://www.albundy.net/bud_pics/grandmaster/gross01b.JPG

From the jacket on down... and like Bud, they're still looking to "score".

From the Letterman Jackets to the self given nickname (which is always a bad idea), they are the Grandmaster B's of the NFL.

Double Barrel
11-21-2013, 06:35 PM

The football gods have rained their curse upon us ever since.

You earn a nickname through blood, sweat, and tears.

Try to gloss yourself a nickname and feel the wrath.

This stuff is Football Superstition 101. :voodoo:

Sigma
11-21-2013, 07:01 PM
It's not very flattering of [...] the manipulation of mainstream media to brainwash citizens.

those communists, always complaining
;)

Double Barrel
11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
those communists, always complaining
;)

lol! yeah, I dig their jams, but not so much their ideology. They never seemed to have had a problem cashing a check in USD$, though.

Carr Bombed
11-21-2013, 07:07 PM

correction.. nicknames are usually earned through complete drunken embarrassment/individual greatness.. But yeah, more often than not, blood and tears are involved. :lol:

Non the less, this team had no business even pretending they were close to elite or one of the top teams in the league (especially given their record vs teams on that level).. and the fact that they had jackets with player's names printed is absolutely embarrassing.. embarrassing.

embarrassing.

speedfreek
>That doesn't even make any sense.

I'm guessing you've never spent time on a ranch..

:fingergun:

Another: "Watt on parade!"

TJ

bhsman
People are still upset about the letterman jackets? You guys need the free slushie more than I thought. :headhurts:

houstonspartan
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM
People are still upset about the letterman jackets? You guys need the free slushie more than I thought. :headhurts:

I'm still mad. Yep. Not only were the jackets juvenile, but we then proceeded to humiliate ourselves on national tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Carr Bombed
11-21-2013, 08:12 PM

Regarding "the people that are still upset about letterman jackets" their anger stems from much bigger problems than just a dumbass (COMPLETE DUMBASS) decision to make letterman jackets. It comes down to a culture issue and a systemic problem within this team. The "Jacket" was just another flag to warn us what the hell is really wrong with this franchise.

bhsman
11-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Much like with the Bulls on Parade moniker, I think most of you are just attributing your feelings about the loss that followed to the jackets rather that detach the two. The jackets were a way for Barwin and Cody - who probably knew there was a good chance they wouldn't be back last year - doing something for their teammates before the big game. If anything, Andre is more to blame in building the game up than the damn jackets.

I'm more disappointed in the defense for not improving on the weaknesses exposed by the Packers' game, not some voodoo with jackets, and I used to live in New Orleans.

Hervoyel
11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think they looked good. At the same time it wasn't even as much the jackets as it was the big deal they made out of the jackets. The Texans don't know how to do something like that and keep it low key because they don't know how to "act like they've been there". I don't have a doubt in my mind that the if someone on the Patriots team had a custom jacket made and then a few other players wanted one too that could happen but you'd never hear about it. Nobody would do a story for the paper about it. Nobody would suggest that they all wear their jackets to a road game and then make a big deal about that.

They've been there before. Bob's guys never have and don't appear to be threatening to change that condition anytime soon. It tells you where their heads are and what their minds are on. It ain't winning football games. Not to the degree it needs to be.

DocBar
11-21-2013, 08:45 PM
This is still the weakest, most lame excuse for a defensive nickname in the history of the NFL. I freaking hate it and it makes my eyes and ears bleed Battle Red when I see or hear it.

Showtime100
11-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Much like with the Bulls on Parade moniker, I think most of you are just attributing your feelings about the loss that followed to the jackets rather that detach the two. The jackets were a way for Barwin and Cody - who probably knew there was a good chance they wouldn't be back last year - doing something for their teammates before the big game. If anything, Andre is more to blame in building the game up than the damn jackets.

I'm more disappointed in the defense for not improving on the weaknesses exposed by the Packers' game, not some voodoo with jackets, and I used to live in New Orleans.

The only one in this thread that won't quit talking about the jackets is you.

As for the rest of your post, seriously? You think we're so upset about the nickname and jackets we've forgotten about any football-related problems we might have with the defense? I'm sorry, all of us except you.

Get over yourself.

bhsman
11-21-2013, 09:03 PM
I brought up the jackets because other people have in, y'know, the thread about a nickname for a team. Makes me wonder if there are Cowboy fans who hate the "America's team" phrase.

Anyways, the only people who 'made anything' out of the jackets seems to be the posters on this board.

DocBar
11-21-2013, 09:10 PM
I brought up the jackets because other people have in, y'know, the thread about a nickname for a team. Makes me wonder if there are Cowboy fans who hate the "America's team" phrase.

Anyways, the only people who 'made anything' out of the jackets seems to be the posters on this board. "America's Team" has a much better ring to it than the " Varsity Jacket Team", don't you think? Especially at the NFL level?

imatexan
11-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Ahh the Bulls on Parade days, I miss those times.

bhsman
11-21-2013, 10:47 PM
"America's Team" has a much better ring to it than the " Varsity Jacket Team", don't you think? Especially at the NFL level?

The only people that term is, at most, some Texans fans. At least? Just you.

Bit of a difference there between that and "America's Team."

Say Watt
11-22-2013, 12:43 AM

I've never been the superstitious type but after this, I just might be changing my opinion on the matter. It's mind blowing the downturn this team has been one since then. I still think the Dome/Reliant are built on an ancient Indian burial ground...

Honoring Earl 34
11-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Steers on Parade :cow:

Runner
11-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, I think they looked good. At the same time it wasn't even as much the jackets as it was the big deal they made out of the jackets. The Texans don't know how to do something like that and keep it low key because they don't know how to "act like they've been there". I don't have a doubt in my mind that the if someone on the Patriots team had a custom jacket made and then a few other players wanted one too that could happen but you'd never hear about it. Nobody would do a story for the paper about it. Nobody would suggest that they all wear their jackets to a road game and then make a big deal about that.

They've been there before. Bob's guys never have and don't appear to be threatening to change that condition anytime soon. It tells you where their heads are and what their minds are on. It ain't winning football games. Not to the degree it needs to be.

True. I thought the same thing the year each receiver had his own TD dance. Such a big deal was made of it that I thought it was embarrassing. To me it made them look like they truly hadn't been there before.

A lot of that is just me though. Most fans suck that stuff up.

ArlingtonTexan
11-22-2013, 09:29 AM

I believe that if the Texans had bust those things out after actually winning something significant or more respected organization had done it, NFL letterman jackets would have been "all the rage" or "selling like hotcakes" or whatever the current phrase is for lots of people buying them.

The difference of being fun and cool versus silliness had all to do with not winning and the organization that did it.

Honoring Earl 34
11-22-2013, 09:32 AM
I believe that if the Texans had bust those things out after actually winning something significant or more respected organization had done it, NFL letterman jackets would have been "all the rage" or "selling like hotcakes" or whatever the current phrase is for lots of people buying them.

The difference of being fun and cool versus silliness had all to do with not winning and the organization that did it.

It's the Tom Brady rule because Tom can show dressed the way he wants and have any hair cut he wants because he's Tom Brady .

Dutchrudder
11-22-2013, 10:46 AM
I wish a nickname was the worst thing about this team.

datchapin
11-22-2013, 11:39 AM
I call bull on this parade.

Our D has nothing good to parade. Unless you consider chest bumping good or finding ways to be schooled on the field parade worthy I just don't see it.

I associate parades with happy, carefree, celebratory mentality. It's like telling other teams "Welcome! Parade over our happy a$$es!" TOO FRIENDLY. Ugh, just imagining it makes me... Ugh. Not that other teams need an invitation because they parade on our bulls every Sunday and sometimes on Monday.

I hate this nickname so much, but you know right now it actually fits. Our defense sucks and when its crunch time our efficiency or ability to make the big stop, wait for it..... goes on parade.

Sigma
11-22-2013, 01:36 PM
when I read Bulls on Parade this is what my minds goes to

http://www.vantripper.com/2011/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bulls460.jpg

Idk why, but it feels like this is what the nickname was intended to be

I don't like self-imposed nicknames tho, even less if you end up losing 8 (and counting) straight games.

Playoffs
11-22-2013, 01:55 PM
http://www.artfromashes.org/images/events/Bull2013-2.jpg

Double Barrel
11-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Do not confuse ridicule with anger. I do not perceive anyone is upset about the letterman jackets. They are now part of our collective Texans history, along with "Rosencopter", "Fresno Mafia", "Sausage Boy", etc.

When faced with an abysmal and very disappointing 2-8 season, already in the tank by November, the only thing we have left as fans is joking around about the situation. No crying in football and all that jazz.

The "America's Team" thing is a good example. The Cowboys did not come up with that name. It was NFL Films that popularized it (taken from a sports article about the number of households watching Cowboys games in the '70's).

Tex Schramm (original president and general manager of the Cowboys) saw a golden marketing opportunity and certainly capitalized on it, but it was not self-gloss by the franchise. It was bestowed upon them by the royalty that is an NFL Films presentation, and the name stuck due to their success, championship pedigree, and growing legions of fans across the country. It certainly helped that they had all-American Roger Staubach as QB and genius class-act coach Tom Landry.

The obvious lesson is to let the nicknames come natural, not forced.

Showtime100
11-22-2013, 03:52 PM
As DB pointed out with the "America's Team" moniker, if a team has a name put on them, fine, I feel that is the way to get a nickname.

When this Texans nickname came about it was self-produced (bad), and it was a horrible name (worse). Also my thinking at the time, mainly due to the fact that everybody seemed to have this need to name them, was why? Do they have to have a nickname? "Texans" was fine for me in the interim until a bonafide name came along that WAS them.

The best example I can think of was the 1985 Chicago Bears defense. Ok, "Monsters Of The Midway" but that was a name given the team back in the 40's, or right around there. They just recycled the name. Imo, recycled names are not authentic moniker's for an accomplished defense. In my view that defense, football's equivalent to boxing's Mike Tyson in both ferocity and longevity (relevance works too), had no name, not even "No Name." But to this day just say "'85" and "Bears" in the same sentence and immediately you think of terror in the eyes of the offensive offenders.

The Texans are the Texans, nickname or not. For my money, name me, for I will not be so pretentious as to name myself.

:tiphat:

Dutchrudder
11-22-2013, 04:17 PM
We could call them "The Wrecking Crew," it's not like A&M will be using it again any time soon.

Double Barrel
11-22-2013, 04:20 PM
I think a nickname like "JJ Watt is Going to Kick Your Ass" has a nice ring to it. :thinking:

bhsman
11-22-2013, 06:36 PM
I guess I just don't mind the nickname because my family is full of Saints fans. The record could be 13-3 or 3-13, but they'll always drop a 'Who 'dat?' chant for their team. By comparison, the 'Bulls on Parade" monniker just sounds cool to me, and one that will be said with a bit more enthusiasm when the team is winning again.

Txn_in_FL
11-22-2013, 08:43 PM
We could call them "The Wrecking Crew," it's not like A&M will be using it again any time soon.

It doesn't look like the Texans will be needing it anytime soon either.

The whole giving yourself a nickname thing is childish and embarrassing. Just like Kobe calling himself Black Mamba. It seems like it's a topic of discussion for some fans like it's a big deal... a player makes a big play and he needs a nickname. I don't get it.

The Dome was called "The House of Pain" for a while because of the whoopings the defense put on people, not because some fans thought it up. If you called Reliant the House of Pain it would be for an altogether different reason.

Stop trying to force the issue. When they actually perform the nickname that you cherish so highly will come... but I hope not.

Texan_Bill
11-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I think this was was brought up before in a previous thread. That said, I love the song from RATM and I like it whenever they play it after the "D" makes a play.

However, NO, I do not like it as a nickname. Nor do I like letterman's jackets.

NOR, DO I LIKE LOSING!!!

JB
11-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Do I like the name? About as much as TB likes driving himself to the game and back... in other words NO! HELL NO! NO FKN WAY!

DocBar
11-22-2013, 11:02 PM
I still support Damage Inc. as the defensive nickname. And you can easily change it to Damaged Inc. to reflect the current state of the Texans D.

No need for rainbows, unicorns or any other gay paraphenalia.

Naija Texan
11-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Bulls on Parade grows on you but it is still sort of eh.

I honestly won't mind it going away if only to get something closer in step to intimidating or referencing something more inspirational then just a old song that isn't even a legit crossover classic. I mean given the fact that Houston was once home to Robert "Dr. Doom" Brazile and the Astrodome was once known as "House of Pain" we can do something better then that.

Seegara
11-23-2013, 08:48 PM
It's too late to vote but the nickname is a good one IMO.

drs23
11-24-2013, 06:35 PM
It's too late to vote but the nickname is a good one IMO.

The nickname sucks. It sucked then. It sucks now. Never want to hear it again.

Runner
11-24-2013, 06:43 PM
How about "Bull**** on the Field" instead.

ATXtexanfan
11-24-2013, 07:54 PM
I think this utterly STUPID nickname was the fall of the D

HJam72
11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
I think it's an appropriate name right about now. :ahhaha:

HouTx11
11-28-2013, 09:52 AM
I went along with the name, but I thought that it was a kinda silly name. Never cared for the song either!

Tolar's Ghost
11-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I never got the whole Texans-bulls thing.

They should have simply gotten a normal nickname (and not recycled the name of the Dallas AFL team).

And the logo looks like a mask from the orgy in Eyes Wide Shut.

Rey
11-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Well...they kind of nicknamed themselves...that's kind of weak.

But I don't have any issue with the name itself. Not worried about it not sounding tough enough. Who are you trying to intimidate with a nickname?

HJam72
11-29-2013, 01:30 PM
I never got the whole Texans-bulls thing.

They should have simply gotten a normal nickname (and not recycled the name of the Dallas AFL team).

And the logo looks like a mask from the orgy in Eyes Wide Shut.

I don't think they have Bears in Chicago at all, & I know they don't have blue lions in Detroit or Jaguars with blue-green tongues in Florida.

Bulls & Texas go together. The uniforms are representative of the Texas flag. The name itself is awfully pedestrian, but I couldn't care less if some other team used it decades ago.

ArlingtonTexan
11-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Not worried about it not sounding tough enough. Who are you trying to intimidate with a nickname?

Not an accident that especially in football, the vast majority of nicknames are predator animals or peoples that perceived as warriors/strongly independent.

Tolar's Ghost
11-29-2013, 11:53 PM
...Bulls & Texas go together...

Then why didn't McNair name them the Bulls? Nothing wrong with that.

Oh well, hopefully the Texans will beat the Massachusites this weekend.

Or we can shorten it to Mass-holes (!)

Double Barrel
11-30-2013, 01:42 AM
I thought the Toros was a better name. It ties the logo and obvious regional name together.

But whatever, a name is a name. People thought the Patriots name was goofy until they became a dynasty. Winning championships is ultimately what makes the name and logo iconic.

And when a team gets to that point, any nicknames are bestowed by sportswriters and immortalized by NFL Films. That is the precedent set by the football gods. The Texans tried to shortcut it, and look where it got them.

HJam72
11-30-2013, 07:59 AM
I thought the Toros was a better name. It ties the logo and obvious regional name together.

But whatever, a name is a name. People thought the Patriots name was goofy until they became a dynasty. Winning championships is ultimately what makes the name and logo iconic.

And when a team gets to that point, any nicknames are bestowed by sportswriters and immortalized by NFL Films. That is the precedent set by the football gods. The Texans tried to shortcut it, and look where it got them.

All good points.