PDA

View Full Version : Artificial turf at Reliant

texanmojo
09-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Good to hear. Save that natural grass for our team!

http://www.chron.com/sports/headlines/article/Reliant-will-use-artificial-turf-for-non-NFL-games-3875501.php

gwallaia
09-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Good. Very Good.

Texn4life
09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Good news, and probably the first step towards the Texans playing on field turf next year.

Texan_Bill
09-18-2012, 10:19 PM
GOOD!!!

I don't want my weekly (since 2002) tradition of getting a "pinch" of grass to put under the bill of my cap, to ever end... That said, rolling out "turf" for other events, sits well with me!!!

michaelm
09-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Are there other stadiums that use alternating natural, and artificial turf? I've never noticed any.

Titans Sux 72
09-18-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't know why they don't use field turf???

That whole "turf on a pallet" idea is stupid. If you don't think so ask Hartmen the punter last year if he likes that Turf on a pallet.

Texan_Bill
09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
I don't know why they don't use field turf???

That whole "turf on a pallet" idea is stupid. If you don't think so ask Hartmen the punter last year if he likes that Turf on a pallet.

Well, because field turf sucks, maybe??? They're is nothing like smelling real grass!!!! Than again, from your seats *EDIT* "I don't know where you sit, so that's unfair on my part", but maybe you don't get that luxury.

Texanmike02
09-18-2012, 11:22 PM
The turf and the installation machinery likely will be stored in a warehouse or in the Astrodome when it is not in use at the stadium.

And people wanted to tear it down... thank God. That building has gone from the 7th wonder of the world to everyone in the world wondering why it is still standing.

Mike

Texan_Bill
09-18-2012, 11:29 PM
And people wanted to tear it down... thank God. That building has gone from the 7th wonder of the world to everyone in the world wondering why it is still standing.

Mike

"The DOME!!!!!"

Showtime100
09-18-2012, 11:43 PM

Mike

8th Wonder Of The World. 8TH.

What are you, from out of town?? <---(kidding with you, that's an old Marvin Zindler/Eyewitness News commercial reference) :D

....but 8th...wonder....of the world.

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2012, 12:00 AM
The turf and the installation machinery likely will be stored in a warehouse or in the Astrodome when it is not in use at the stadium.

Mike

Now the grounds keepers can enjoy "asbestos lung" and "the plague." And, since they will now have regular visitors, the rats will avoid deep sensory deprivation and its accompanying severe depression.:kitten:

Just in case some of them "dirty rats" accidentally get transported back to Reliant, Bob has hired a special agent whose sole job is to "take care" of them....Yeh........

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/-0MkIPGKdAk/0.jpg

infantrycak
09-19-2012, 12:21 AM
Cool. Our kids can blow their knees out instead of our multimillion dollar athletes. As long as it look pretty on game day.

Showtime100
09-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Cool. Our kids can blow their knees out instead of our multimillion dollar athletes. As long as it look pretty on game day.

You are thinking about Astroturf. High School stadiums all over everywhere have the turf they will be playing on which is a far cry from Astroturf.

infantrycak
09-19-2012, 01:20 AM
You are thinking about Astroturf. High School stadiums all over everywhere have the turf they will be playing on which is a far cry from Astroturf.

Such as the field turf in our practice stadium which they don't let anyone on our team with a hint of a knee injury practice on. So no I am not thinking of Astroturf.

Time and time again the players have been surveyed and hate any form of turf so far.

Showtime100
09-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Such as the field turf in our practice stadium which they don't let anyone on our team with a hint of a knee injury practice on. So no I am not thinking of Astroturf.

Then what's with the bleeding heart post above?? Have you played on the modern stuff? I have and cannot fault venues for using them. Sure, the Texans are going to keep them off the artificial stuff if they are gimpy, anybody would because nothing is like the real thing. Doesn't mean the kids are being thrown under the bus by playing on the stuff.

I played on Astroturf too and am still surprised my knees and ankles survived. If they meant putting the kids on that crap I would be up in arms. As it is I see no problem whatsoever.

Btw, if I had my way they would all play on grass. These is nothing like the real thing.

infantrycak
09-19-2012, 01:47 AM
Btw, if I had my way they would all play on grass. These is nothing like the real thing.

I hear you. I just figure listen to the guys who have played the most - I mean damn the average NFL player is only about 26. Surfaces you spend so much time on have long term effects. Running on streets v. running on the Memorial loop is hugely different. I would rather have a less attractive but safer field for our kids. My eldest son is a big soccer player so yeah I am concerned. I don't want his knees to ache like mine.

Showtime100
09-19-2012, 03:05 AM
I hear you. I just figure listen to the guys who have played the most - I mean damn the average NFL player is only about 26. Surfaces you spend so much time on have long term effects. Running on streets v. running on the Memorial loop is hugely different. I would rather have a less attractive but safer field for our kids. My eldest son is a big soccer player so yeah I am concerned. I don't want his knees to ache like mine.

Good points there. I just think they are in pretty good hands but I don't know all there is to know on the subject. Especially on the new turf, though it treated my - by then - out of shape knees and ankles surprisingly good.

Maybe CloakNNNDagger wil jump in with some wisdom for us.

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2012, 09:53 AM
Good points there. I just think they are in pretty good hands but I don't know all there is to know on the subject. Especially on the new turf, though it treated my - by then - out of shape knees and ankles surprisingly good.

Maybe CloakNNNDagger wil jump in with some wisdom for us.

Although there have been great improvements in artificial turfs over the past decade, grass remains the "gold standard." With that said, when referring to grass as the optimal option, we are speaking of CONSTANTLY WELL-KEPT, WELL-MANICURED grass. Just as important is the type of footwear worn by the player being carefully matched to the type of surface. As relates to our kids playing on the various types of field, grass would theoretically definitely still be the optimal surface. However, especially at the elementary, middle school and even high school levels, we all have seen how poorly many of these grass fields are maintained. Footwear, a very important part of this equation, has also not been the greatest priority either. At these levels, conditions and types of surfaces are numerous as they are on the professional level. However, seldom do schools supply their players 3 or 4 pairs of surface-appropriate or quick-modifiable shoes. Unfortunately, our kids will probably always be exposed in some form to a compromising situation. Some would argue that, at lower levels artificial turf, after initial investment, takes much less time and monies to maintain, doesn't really change from game to game, requires lesser number of footwear (wet/dry). The problem again is that each type of artificial surface has its own quirky characteristics which do not necessarily translate into similar equipment needs to another artificial surface that may be found at a different school.

Bottom line, reviews of the subject have supported the view that a few of the very new generation artificial surfaces MAY hold their own with natural grass as relates to initial injuries. However, there is scarce support that a player with an established lower extremity injury would be less likely to re-injure on artificial surfaces. And since many players, especially as the season wears on, are playing through a myriad of lower limb injuries, the decision/preference to play on a well-maintained grass field while wearing the appropriate footwear, would appear to be a no-brainer (tip hat to Kubiak and his indoor practice policy).

disaacks3
09-19-2012, 10:07 AM

Mike Hey now, we could turn it into an adoption center for rats & cats.

I played on Astroturf too and am still surprised my knees and ankles survived. If they meant putting the kids on that crap I would be up in arms. As it is I see no problem whatsoever.

Btw, if I had my way they would all play on grass. These is nothing like the real thing. I got to play on the "old" Oilers turf (before even they replaced it), it was brutal. Our 'brilliant' coach had us running flare routes where our cuts were right on the seam. All but one back (out of 20 or so) tweaked a knee during that workout. Best turf I ever played on? Tully Stadium, that stuff was "spongy"...even moreso in the monsoon I played in ('85).

Footwear, a very important part of this equation, has also not been the greatest priority either. At these levels, conditions and types of surfaces are numerous as they are on the professional level. However, seldom do schools supply their players 3 or 4 pairs of surface-appropriate or quick-modifiable shoes. We got one pair of rubber cleats (non adjustable) and one pair of turf shoes, that was it. both were exceedingly cheap (until varsity rolled around).

Titans Sux 72
09-19-2012, 12:06 PM
Well, because field turf sucks, maybe??? They're is nothing like smelling real grass!!!! Than again, from your seats *EDIT* "I don't know where you sit, so that's unfair on my part", but maybe you don't get that luxury.

Great "you" can smell the grass.
That's cool keep on loosing players AJ, Wes Welker, Hartman who knows it could be Foster one of these days but at least "you" get to smell it.
Believe me nothing beats real grass but that grass on a pallet is far from stable. It's freaking stupid and I can't believe the league aloes it.
But that's cool because it smells great.
Don't get me started on that POS dome either.

infantrycak
09-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Great "you" can smell the grass.
That's cool keep on loosing players AJ, Wes Welker, Hartman who knows it could be Foster one of these days but at least "you" get to smell it.
Believe me nothing beats real grass but that grass on a pallet is far from stable. It's freaking stupid and I can't believe the league aloes it.
But that's cool because it smells great.
Don't get me started on that POS dome either.

Reliant has been highly ranked in the player polls since it opened.

Titans Sux 72
09-19-2012, 04:19 PM
There is a grass player poll????
I would love to see that.

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2012, 05:18 PM
There is a grass player poll????
I would love to see that.

Cak is correct. I posted this last year.

2010 NFL Players Playing Surfaces Opinion Survey (https://m.nflplayers.com/articles.aspx?cat=Public-News&title=NFLPA-to-Release-Results-of-Playing-Surface-Survey)

AnthonyE
09-19-2012, 05:52 PM
One exception, he said, will be national or international soccer games, which organizers prefer to be played on natural grass.

I always hated how those soccer players would mess up our field, looks like they're going to keep doing it. :gun:

Titans Sux 72
09-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Cak is correct. I posted this last year.

2010 NFL Players Playing Surfaces Opinion Survey (https://m.nflplayers.com/articles.aspx?cat=Public-News&title=NFLPA-to-Release-Results-of-Playing-Surface-Survey)

Wow! Who knew!:clap:

It rated 7th I think in that survey which is pretty good.
Hey I'm not the one playing on it but I'm sure they don't have it in there so the peeps on the lower bowl can have some thing good to smell. If they like so be it.

Bulls on Parade
09-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Seems like a good idea but why now and not back in 2002? You mean to tell me it took 10 years to figure this out?

CloakNNNdagger
09-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Seems like a good idea but why now and not back in 2002? You mean to tell me it took 10 years to figure this out?

http://th05.deviantart.net/fs9/PRE/i/2006/152/c/b/I__m_a_slow_learner_by_silentnight745.jpg

BOB MCNAIR

Texan_Bill
09-19-2012, 07:40 PM

I played in the Dome a couple of times and the following couple of days, my knees were barking. I don't think any high schools or in fact, college kids should play on astro-turf. I know that the newer field turf is better, but still. Kids should play on natural grass.

Texan_Bill
09-19-2012, 07:43 PM

It's still not as good as natural grass. Natural grass "gives" more than even the new and improved "field turf". Still more knee and ankle injuries on field turf than grass.

drs23
09-19-2012, 11:00 PM
I played in the Dome a couple of times and the following couple of days, my knees were barking. I don't think any high schools or in fact, college kids should play on astro-turf. I know that the newer field turf is better, but still. Kids should play on natural grass.

Today most of them are playing on hydro. :tiphat:

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 02:48 PM
610 reporting that Reliant grass will not be replaced for the Titans game. I wonder in what shape the grass will be. TifSport Bermuda is pretty intolerant of shade, and although we are not into November when the sunlight hours really begins getting cut down in the stadium (more than during the other months when light is still not adequate), I will be very curious not only what it looks like (color and if it has thinned), but how it plays on. Sometimes light-compromised Bermuda can come up pretty easily. I often wonder if resulting different conditions of the field, lead to compensating by cutting the grass to different heights, leading to some claims of inconsistency from one game to another. Bermuda cut longer may become somewhat more shade resistant, but can be harder to play on.

paycheck71
09-29-2012, 03:52 PM
610 reporting that Reliant grass will not be replaced for the Titans game. I wonder in what shape the grass will be. TifSport Bermuda is pretty intolerant of shade, and although we are not into November when the sunlight hours really begins getting cut down in the stadium (more than during the other months when light is still not adequate), I will be very curious not only what it looks like (color and if it has thinned), but how it plays on. Sometimes light-compromised Bermuda can come up pretty easily. I often wonder if resulting different conditions of the field, lead to compensating by cutting the grass to different heights, leading to some claims of inconsistency from one game to another. Bermuda cut longer may become somewhat more shade resistant, but can be harder to play on.

Why wouldn't they wait to make that call until after the UH-Rice game? Makes no sense to me.

Stemp
09-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Why wouldn't they wait to make that call until after the UH-Rice game? Makes no sense to me.

Not enough time to replace and let the grass set.

GP
09-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Discovery Bermuda is a hybrid bermuda that I just put down in my backyard.

VERY shade tolerant, low growing and dark green in color. A lot of football fields are putting it in now...because it is such an attractive and such a hardy grass turf.

I wonder if the Texans have ever looked into it? There's a turf farm in the coastal area down there that grows it. It is almost like a putting green surface but with some blade to it.

paycheck71
09-29-2012, 04:21 PM

If that's the case, then getting the field turf for the college games is useless since they won't have enough time to replace it with the grass field after a potential Sat. college game.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
If that's the case, then getting the field turf for the college games is useless since they won't have enough time to replace it with the grass field after a potential Sat. college game.

There may be a problem with the continuous rain sogging the dirt, grass and trays.

Nevertheless, there seem to be lots of chunks of loose sod being generated quite nicely by the game going on right now.

Thorn
09-29-2012, 05:00 PM
With billions of dollars being made in the NFL each year, they can't come up with a good solution to this turf problem?

paycheck71
09-29-2012, 05:03 PM
With billions of dollars being made in the NFL each year, they can't come up with a good solution to this turf problem?

I think Phoenix has the best solution. Grow and replace the whole field all at once. No trays, no seams, and no inconsistencies from tray to tray.

I'm assuming the field tomorrow will be "acceptable." But there is no way it's going to be as good as it is for today's game.

And I'm not a fan of any artificial surface.

PapaL
09-29-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm not a fan of a professional team sharing their field w anyone that can shred their field.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 05:47 PM
I think Phoenix has the best solution. Grow and replace the whole field all at once. No trays, no seams, and no inconsistencies from tray to tray.

I'm assuming the field tomorrow will be "acceptable." But there is no way it's going to be as good as it is for today's game.

And I'm not a fan of any artificial surface.

Technically, Cardinal Stadiums whole field one-piece grass tray is never "replaced" during the season. It is mobilized outside of the stadium into open parking space between games mostly for benefit of full sun (the same reason we "grow" our pallets offsite Reliant). While outside, damaged areas are repaired/replaced.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I believe that as of last year, Reliant grass pallets are routinely now taken out to the parking lot near the tram east of Reliant because trying to preserve it inside the stadium between games has resulted in poor results. Thar would then be a similar principle to the Cardinals......but in piecemeal.

CloakNNNdagger
09-29-2012, 07:48 PM

I'm not really sure that really makes sense, since from what I understand the pallets can be exchanged in ~10 hours and once they are in place, they are ready to play on as soon as they are marked.

Speedy
09-29-2012, 10:24 PM
EDIT: Just to clarify, I believe that as of last year, Reliant grass pallets are routinely now taken out to the parking lot near the tram east of Reliant because trying to preserve it inside the stadium between games has resulted in poor results. Thar would then be a similar principle to the Cardinals......but in piecemeal.

During the season the pallets are kept in the parking lot along Fannin, south of the Holly Hall entrance. Always been like that. They've got about 2 and a half football fields worth of the pallets. Off-season, they are kept somewhere else.