PDA

View Full Version : The "I hope the Jaguars move to L.A." Thread

LBC_Justin
05-29-2005, 10:50 AM
One of the biggest problems with the AFC South is that Houston is the only Larger Market team/ High revenue team. Indy, Jacksonville, and Tennesse small market, low revenue teams. None of those teams have the cult following of other small market teams like Pittsburgh or GreenBay have. So the end result is the AFC south gets less national exposure and less coverage. If it wasn't for Peyton Manning no one would have even mentioned a word last season about the AFC South.

The only time the Jaguars made national news last year was to talk about how their fans weren't coming out to support a winning team. Or how bad of a host city they were for the superbowl.

Just some stats for those of you who don't know.
LA Area = 12,000,000 people with in fairly close proximity. The home of the movie/TV industry.

Also this could just as easily be the "I hope the Colts move to L.A." Thread. It would be just as beneficial.

Personally I will have a huge smile if I see the L.A. Colts or the L.A. Jaguars take the field sometime in the not too distant future.

Look at the AFC East. Philly, Washington, NYG, Dallas. All high revenue teams in big markets. They get tons of coverage, you add L.A. to the AFC south and our coverage would double or tripple.

The fact that the AFC South is full of new teams and has no traditional rivalries doesn't help either. The Media power of L.A. would go a long way to closing this gap.

HardKnockTexan
05-29-2005, 10:53 AM
One problem with that.... L.A. isnt in the South. L.A. will either be an AFC or NFC West team.

TexansTrueFan
05-29-2005, 10:53 AM
well then i hope they stay along w/ the rest.

vtech9
05-29-2005, 10:55 AM
One problem with that.... L.A. isnt in the South. L.A. will either be an AFC or NFC West team.
Well, Indy isn't exactly in the South either.

TexansTrueFan
05-29-2005, 10:57 AM
plus with the way indy and ten are it wont be long UNTIL we are the top of our division. So lets leave things the way they are.

LBC_Justin
05-29-2005, 11:16 AM

From LA it is less that a 2 hour drive to Mexico and it stays pretty warm year around. Feels pretty south to me. (Yeah i know it isn't south in the traditional "y'all" way.)

- You could just as easily say Jacksonville belongs in the East.
- Dallas isn't exactly the East.
- People in California would argue that Denver isnt the West being that it is over 1000 miles from the west coast.
- St. Louis is about 2000 miles for the west coast.

Indianapolis fought for the North and 1/2 the teams in the AFC north are located South of Indianapolis.

Wouldn't you guys rather have a good rivalary worthy of National Coverage?

Texan Dave
05-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Considering that Jacksonville can't even fill their stadium, send them to L.A.

We'll still beat them just the same as always. Besides, I doubt that the NFL would realign the divisions just because of a team moving to a new city.

Lucky
05-29-2005, 12:03 PM
Wouldn't you guys rather have a good rivalary worthy of National Coverage?
I don't really care where the Texans have to go to put a whooping on the Jags. Parking lot at Memorial City is good for me.

YodAa
05-29-2005, 12:09 PM
If Jax moved they would still be part of the AFC South no matter what because divisions in the NFL are organized more by history and rivalries than by location, just look at were the Cowboys, Indianapolis, St.Louis, and Kansas City are placed in. Indy would never be sent to LA considering that they are pretty close or already have come to an agreement on a new stadium and have the whole city cheering for them. Jax would never move not because they can't fill Jax but because they've only been there for about 10 years and they are just now becoming good. O and BTW it doesn't matter what team moves to LA (most likely Saints) LA won't be switched to NFC or AFC west it will just stay the same.

keyfro
05-30-2005, 12:56 PM
look the whole problem with L.A. is the fans there suck...yes worse than the fans in jacksonville...you think they have problems filling stands in jacksonville with a mediocre team try L.A. where if they don't have a playoff team every year no one goes to the games...anybody remember the last time the L.A. clippers sold out their arena...haha...never...i know the nfl thinks it needs a L.A. franchise but so do indy, and new orleans...personally i think they would be better off doing an expansion team in L.A. and start fresh...that way people in L.A. might feel better about going to see a non-winning team because it is a team of their own not a team that moved there like the rams, raiders, and the next team looking for quick money...start a new team there give them a nice retractable room stadium like us...we set the standard haha...give them a coach who is runs the west coast offense because you know if they aren't passin people are complainin and then give them drug rehab story QB so half the city can relate

YodAa
05-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Maybe the LA fans would lower their standards for teams but as long as the Lakers keep making it to the playoffs 5 out 6 years then LA will stay a Laker city and won't go see the expansion team unless they're making it to the playoffs by their 2nd year (I heard LA is a bandwagon city)

awtysst
05-30-2005, 02:25 PM
look the whole problem with L.A. is the fans there suck...yes worse than the fans in jacksonville...you think they have problems filling stands in jacksonville with a mediocre team try L.A. where if they don't have a playoff team every year no one goes to the games...anybody remember the last time the L.A. clippers sold out their arena...haha...never...i know the nfl thinks it needs a L.A. franchise but so do indy, and new orleans...personally i think they would be better off doing an expansion team in L.A. and start fresh...that way people in L.A. might feel better about going to see a non-winning team because it is a team of their own not a team that moved there like the rams, raiders, and the next team looking for quick money...start a new team there give them a nice retractable room stadium like us...we set the standard haha...give them a coach who is runs the west coast offense because you know if they aren't passin people are complainin and then give them drug rehab story QB so half the city can relate

You are exactly right. The issue is about getting fans to see the team and LA just is not a football town. Think about this when the Raiders and Rams were there, they had trouble keeping the stadium full.

I have a buddy of mine in LA who is an avid sports fan and I asked him what the chance of football succeding in LA. He basically said that LA is more of a baseball/basketball town then football. He said he thought it had to do somewhat with the glamorizing lifestyle of LA. In baseball/baseketball you can see the person's face whereas in football you cannot see the person's face. For some people that makes the game more distant.

TheOgre
05-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Atlanta and New Orleans used to be in the old NFC West. I doubt they realign a conference if a team moves to LA. Could happen, but I doubt it.

LBC_Justin
06-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Your right LA is not the best football city. Well let me rephrase that...they are not the best Pro Football city. But you have to understand something. The previous stadiums they played in were total dumps. They make the Astrodome seem like a first class pallace by comparison. Even the Rose Bowl is just an oversized High School stadium. In this area full of rich, implanted, and well tanned people you got to have a first class facility. PS: Dodger stadium is a total dump too. Angel Stadium is decent but not as nice at Minute Maid.

There are 12-15 Million people in the LA market.(Imagine 3-4 Houstons bundled together.) There are 1.2 million in the Jacksonville. You can afford to have a lot of people not care in LA, you can't in Jacksonville. Plus the LA name sells merchandice, i don't know why but it does.

The area already supports TWO MLB teams, TWO NBA teams, TWO NHL teams, TWO MLS teams. If you don't think LA would be a perfect place for ONE NFL team then you need to lay off the the crack rock. I mean if people in the warm sunny LA Area can support two Hockey teams, then the sky is the limit.

The weather in LA area is basically perfect year around.(Imagine the best day of the year in Houston and that is what the weather is like in LA almost every day.) So people flock to SoCal and the area is full of Transplants. On sunday mornings the sports bars are full of fans. Lots of Raiders and Rams fans and a TON of fans from all over the country. Trust me there is a very strong passion for Pro Football in this city. Your right if you think the stadium would be full of fans from the opposing team. But that is a reality you must face in an area that is full of people from somewhere else.

Keep in mind the only reason I am hoping the Jags move to LA is that I get to go see the Texans at least once a year. :)

Daonly
06-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Im from Baytown, and I live in Los Angeles. I hope we do get a team here. It can be the porkskins tideley winks for all I care. So I can can have a chance to see my team play The Texans or course.. or just to see some real football instead of the Arena football. Carson, Ca. right outside of Los Angeles, approx same distance from Baytown to Houston; got out of the race to build a new stadium. Anihem got into the running and said if the Chargers want to move there; they ready to break ground by December. They have the money and land to build a state of the art stadium, Which they can run train transist system from San Diego right to the front of the Stadium for Chargers Fans. That way L.A. fans and San Diego Fans can both attend games as well as Anihem. So that may happen.

FBT
06-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Jacksonville will relocate to LA when :pigfly:

Since that's not happening, you might want to contain your glee over the prospect.

Jacksonville is the 2nd smallest market in the NFL, and we have one of the largest stadiums in the league. We also had 4 straight losing seasons, a coach that was hated by at least half the fanbase, and a team that was strapped by cap abuse that left us in a serious hole.

The stadium is being modified to bring it more in line with what the market should have had all along. The team is making money. We're in the middle of the league for actual attendance despite the showing for 1 bad weather game on the day after Christmas against a team that many Jag fans don't take seriously.

I know that you folks have gotten a bit surly since you swept the Jaguars last year, but realistically, you've never finished ahead of them in the standings. In fact, you haven't had a winning season as a franchise to date. You might be coming off as being a tad cocky considering the fact that your team really hasn't achieved what other expansion franchises did very early on in the process.

Not here running smack. Just making sure that someone actually deals in fact and not mindless speculation. The league wants a team in LA. The most likely candidate is New Orleans. Jacksonville just spent a ton of money upgrading it's stadium to handle the Super Bowl, which BTW, did get bad press from a couple of media-types who either didn't like the cold weather early in the week, or, like Kornheiser, never actually came to Jacksonville, but fed off of what he had heard. The folks that were there for the entire week were extremely satisfied with the experience when the game was done. In fact, Jacksonville got better press for hosting the game in our small market than Houston did with it's larger one because your activities were considered too spread out.

If the press is correct, the Colts have a new stadium deal agreed to, so they're probably not relocating either.

So, you folks are stuck with the small markets. Sorry to burst your bubbles. If you want national exposure, try winning more games. That's usually the formula that's going to get you more respect.

Also, regarding the fans and someone's suggestion that the fans in Jacksonville suck, that's a blatantly false statement. The NFL wouldn't have awarded the town a team in the first place if they felt that way. They understood that this was not going to be an instant success in Jacksonville because of the size of the market, but they committed to the long haul in the town because of the passion of the fan base, as well as the rapid growth in the area. This is a market that the league identified as a target that they wanted to be in because of that growth. They won't abandon it now.

TEXANS84
06-02-2005, 11:51 AM
day after Christmas against a team that many Jag fans don't take seriously.

I find that truly hard to believe considering you have a losing record against us (2-4).

Just making sure that someone actually deals in fact and not mindless speculation

Fact is your fanbase and your team choked. With a victory, you guys would have eased into the playoffs. Fortunatley for us, neither your team or your fans decided to show for that game.

FBT
06-02-2005, 12:37 PM
I find that truly hard to believe considering you have a losing record against us (2-4).

Fact is your fanbase and your team choked. With a victory, you guys would have eased into the playoffs. Fortunatley for us, neither your team or your fans decided to show for that game.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. Fortunately, that doesn't make you right.

I was at the game. And I was disappointed by the turnout. But, if you were there, you would understand why people may not have come out. The weather that day was absolute garbage. It was cold and raining right up to game time, and didn't start to clear out until after the half. It was the day after Christmas, which for those of you who don't know any better, happens to be one of the busiest travel days of the year. And I hate to break it to you, but regardless of what our team is vs. your franchise, people still don't really get excited about playing the Texans. That's a fact.

I appreciate the fact that you plucked two quotes out of my post to respond to, but decided not to touch on the rest of it. Real shock.

FBT
06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Jax would never move not because they can't fill Jax but because they've only been there for about 10 years and they are just now becoming good.

Just now? Really? So, going to the AFC Championship game twice, and going to the playoffs in 4 out of our first 5 years in the league was not considered 'good'? I suppose the Texans have been a post season fixture under Capers and I just missed that, huh?

That probably says a ton about your fans then...since you had playoffs in your grasp if you beat us.

You think losing to the Texans is what cost us the playoffs? So, not beating the Titans at home had nothing to do with that? Or losing to Indy on a bogus holding call? It was just that one game?

You guys sure do think an awful lot of your influence over our franchise.

Hate to burst your bubble, but we were still able to reach the playoffs after losing to your team in December. It wasn't until Indy rolled over and played possum with the Broncos that our playoff hopes went up in smoke.

SicilianJag
06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
My take is that Houston absolutely has not been considered a big rivalry in the past because we already had several established rivals. But after sweeping us last year and keeping us from the playoffs, the rivalry is developing quickly. I already see the hate showing up on our MB. I think the fan base for both teams would agree that they look to be the future powerhouses in the division. That will develop into a rivalry if they continue to butt heads for a few years.

Saying our team choked in the final game last year isn't any brilliant insight. It seems kind of obvious and we're glad it's behind us. Basically, while both teams made strides last year, neither accomplished anything they want to rest upon. If both teams go 10 - 6 this year and one sweeps the other, then there are some bragging rights.

Saying the Jags fans choked, and the team is poised to be moved, is just ridiculous. For the small market team that we are, and all the publicity about our lack of attendance, most don't realize that we ranked 14th in the league in attendance during 2004. More than Philadelphia, Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago ...

I would think that Oakland and New Orleans are more realistic possibilities for LA.

FBT
06-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Beating us in week Sixteen gives you guys 10 wins on the year total. Deny it all you want but we were a pivotal game for you guys in your quest for the playoffs.

We could have beaten the Titans and/or Colts at home and accomplished the same thing. There are 16 pivotal games in an NFL season.

Nobody is denying that it was a pivotal game. But, when the dust settled on the season, where was your team? Did you have a winning season? I guess you're satisfied with small victories like sweeping the Jags. We ended up 2nd in the division for a reason. We certainly weren't satisfied with the end result of our season, but we know that we were basically 1 win away from the playoffs last year. You can't say the same about your team.

texasguy346
06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
We certainly weren't satisfied with the end result of our season, but we know that we were basically 1 win away from the playoffs last year. You can't say the same about your team.

Your team was one win away, and choked down the stretch. You can call it not showing up, or not being "up" for the game (BTW they have pills to correct that problem now), or whatever other phrase you'd like to use to put your mind at ease. Finishing 2nd in the division, and "almost" making the playoffs left you in the same spot as us and every other franchise in the NFL. On the outside looking in as the playoff teams fought for glory. If your team had shown up down the stretch you likely would have controlled your own destiny, and not had to rely upon some other team to give you a pass to the playoffs. You can sugarcoat it all you'd like, but the good teams that deserve to be in the playoffs don't flake out with a few weeks to go in the season. The Texans didn't look very strong down the stretch either, but it's obviously an issue with both of our teams. We're only a few months away from the start of a brand new season, and it's anybody's game. We'll soon find out what improvements both our teams have made.

TEXANS84
06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Back to topic:

Jacksonville isn't going to move anywhere. Teams on the bubble are the Chiefs (County stadium issues) and the New Orleans Saints (Stadium funding issues). It seems as though the Colts have bypassed moving because of the new stadium grant that was approved in Indianapolis.

For those of you who don't know about the Jaguars attendance, you may want to sit down:

Jacksonville: Jacksonville Jaguars 2004/ 8 games/555,464 overall/ 69,433 avg.
Comprared to:
Houston: Houston Texans 2004/ 8 games/565,192 overall/ 70,649 avg.

NFL Attendance Link (http://kenn.com/sports/football/nfl/index.html)

I think a lot of Texans fans (including myself) jump on the Jaguars attendance because of the December 26th no-show game. I for one couldn't believe that it was a live shot, and was surely thinking it was a pre-recorded intro...only to find out the opposite.

But that does not cut you any slack considering you had a playoff birth on the line. Spin the same scenario to the Browns/Bengals/Texans/Chiefs/Lions/etc...and you would have seen a capacity crowd ready to rock and support their home team.

SicilianJag
06-02-2005, 01:44 PM
But that does not cut you any slack considering you had a playoff birth on the line. Spin the same scenario to the Browns/Bengals/Texans/Chiefs/Lions/etc...and you would have seen a capacity crowd ready to rock and support their home team.

Although there are some valid excuses, I believe all of us there were surprised as well. Particularly with a playoff spot on the line. No argument. For that one game, the fans deserve some blame and certainly did not help our team any.

But it's not right to lump our fans in with the 'aints or cardinals....

JustBonee
06-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Congrats to you SicilianJag.... a Jag fan who can carry on an intelligent conversation. Excuse me if I find that a little surprising.

gcolby
06-02-2005, 05:30 PM
But it's not right to lump our fans in with the 'aints or cardinals....

Dang right you are, sir. Can you imagine how many Jags fans would suffocate late in the season if the paper bags on their heads got wet from all the rain? The Saints' fans should be grateful they play indoors.

FBT
06-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Congrats to you SicilianJag.... a Jag fan who can carry on an intelligent conversation. Excuse me if I find that a little surprising.
And how exactly was this considered the extension of an intelligent conversation? Just curious.

TEXANS84
06-02-2005, 10:16 PM
It seems as though the Colts have bypassed moving because of the new stadium grant that was approved in Indianapolis.

Check that, looks like funding has come 48 million dollars short:

Link to Colts Stadium Funding Problems (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050602/NEWS02/506020451/1100/SPORTS03)

gcolby
06-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Good point on the attendance stats, Texans84 :thumbup

JustBonee
06-03-2005, 07:53 AM
And how exactly was this considered the extension of an intelligent conversation? Just curious.
Just giving a Jag fan kudos for removing the rose-colored glasses and saying it like it is.

TEXANS84
06-03-2005, 08:27 AM
Good point on the attendance stats, Texans84 :thumbup

Thanks.

The main reason you always see so many seats is because that stadium can realistically seat 83,000 people. So by covering up 9,000 seats, that makes the stadium more realistic compared to other stadiums.
But also, don't forget, most NFL teams will only report the amount of tickets sold per game as attendance....not by how many actually entered the game.
That's why when they reported a crowd of 45,000 at Alltel in December for the Jax/Houston game....there is no way....there only had to be around 15-20K people there.

JDizzle
06-03-2005, 05:26 PM
The stadium is being modified to bring it more in line with what the market should have had all along. The team is making money. We're in the middle of the league for actual attendance despite the showing for 1 bad weather game on the day after Christmas against a team that many Jag fans don't take seriously.

As a football fan, not taking a game like that seriously is kind of silly. We had already beaten you once earlier (21 - 6) in the season, so why not take it seriously when you play us again with the playoffs on the line? As a Texan fan, I would have been AMPED for that game had it been us vying for a playoff spot.

And trust us when we say that it sucks having your football team move to another city, we know what it's like and that's why we fill the stadium up every Sunday.

Overalls
06-04-2005, 08:13 PM
As much as I like to go to the Jags board and rag on them, FBT might even call me a troll if he knew who I was on their board, how ever I would rather see L.A. wait a hundred years for an expantion team, then have my fellow NFL fans in Jacksonville or any where else go through what the City of Houston and SE Texas did when the Oilers left. Any team moving isn't funny.

TEXANS84
06-06-2005, 11:31 AM
-- L.A. Update --
Mon Jun 6, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The OC Register reports when it comes to Los Angeles, the NFL's first priority is picking a stadium site. But the league will have to get around to choosing a team at some point, and two franchises have emerged as the most likely candidates. The New Orleans Saints and San Diego Chargers face significant political and financial obstacles in their efforts to get new stadiums, their owners emphasized at last month's league meeting in Washington. And those local conditions often become "the most relevant factors" in teams deciding to relocate, said Sportscorp Ltd. president Marc Ganis, who has consulted on several stadium projects.

Jags&Dawgs
07-09-2006, 07:01 AM
-- L.A. Update --
Mon Jun 6, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The OC Register reports when it comes to Los Angeles, the NFL's first priority is picking a stadium site. But the league will have to get around to choosing a team at some point, and two franchises have emerged as the most likely candidates. The New Orleans Saints and San Diego Chargers face significant political and financial obstacles in their efforts to get new stadiums, their owners emphasized at last month's league meeting in Washington. And those local conditions often become "the most relevant factors" in teams deciding to relocate, said Sportscorp Ltd. president Marc Ganis, who has consulted on several stadium projects.Glad to see this come out and besides Wayne Weaver done said that he is sticking with Jacksonville for the long run.

texanmojo
07-09-2006, 09:13 AM
Glad to see this come out and besides Wayne Weaver done said that he is sticking with Jacksonville for the long run.

Did you happen to notice that the post was on a story from June 6, 2005? I think you are a little late here.

TEXANS84
07-09-2006, 10:34 AM
Well, the 6-6-05 kffl update is actually pretty on topic for this dug up thread.

Jags&Dawgs
07-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Did you happen to notice that the post was on a story from June 6, 2005? I think you are a little late here.Better late than never.

colts18288
07-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Just now? Really? So, going to the AFC Championship game twice, and going to the playoffs in 4 out of our first 5 years in the league was not considered 'good'? I suppose the Texans have been a post season fixture under Capers and I just missed that, huh?

You think losing to the Texans is what cost us the playoffs? So, not beating the Titans at home had nothing to do with that? Or losing to Indy on a bogus holding call? It was just that one game?

You guys sure do think an awful lot of your influence over our franchise.

Hate to burst your bubble, but we were still able to reach the playoffs after losing to your team in December. It wasn't until Indy rolled over and played possum with the Broncos that our playoff hopes went up in smoke.

You talk about a bogus call:ok: Yet fail to metion the cheap shots Mike Peterson took on Reggie Wayne...... pay backs a (well u all know) as I see it:stirpot: You can't play fair then live with the results.
As for Indy rolling over and playing possum, your full of crap. The diffrence between a good team (Indy) and a bad team (Jax) is that we dont count on another team to get us to the playoffs:stirpot: . I'll consider Jax a good team when :pigfly:

Texansfan36
07-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Ok this makes me mad, Theres nothing I hate worse than an indy fan putting down another team on our boards even if it is the hags please, if ur going to fight do it on ur own boards, and even though the Jags lost to us :francis: and didn't get in the playoffs thats not as bad as having everything handed to you (the colts) and still choking in the playoffs, so until Pay-me-a-ton manning, and the colts make it to the super bowl imho you can't say that the clots are a good team and the jags are a bad team, thank you for your time

/rant off.

Have a nice day :shoot:

Hervoyel
07-12-2006, 10:22 PM
As an NFL football fan I cannot bring myself to hope that any other fans team moves. L.A. doesn't want a team, at least not with any real conviction. The NFL should realize this and leave the league alone because right now it's as close to perfect as it's ever been.

I don't like the Titans, Colts, or Jaguars. Fans of those teams should expect and understand that. Wishing they lose their team on the other hand is over the line.

Double Barrel
07-13-2006, 10:23 AM
^Well said, Herv. I agree 100%. No football fan should have to endure what we went through after supporting a team for so long.

And L.A. deserves nothing!

Titan "Tack" Fan
07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Ok this makes me mad, Theres nothing I hate worse than an indy fan putting down another team on our boards even if it is the hags please, if ur going to fight do it on ur own boards, and even though the Jags lost to us :francis: and didn't get in the playoffs thats not as bad as having everything handed to you (the colts) and still choking in the playoffs, so until Pay-me-a-ton manning, and the colts make it to the super bowl imho you can't say that the clots are a good team and the jags are a bad team, thank you for your time

/rant off.

Have a nice day :shoot:

I agree. A Colts fan can talk all day about how they went 14-2, but what does going 14-2 get you? It gets you nothing. The Colts players were doing the same thing as the Jags, Titans, and Texans players on Super Bowl Sunday: sitting infront of their TVs.

So get some hardware then you can brag about how "good" the Colts are.