PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Joseph overpaid?

dream_team
09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Forbes released a list titled "NFL's Most Overpaid Players", and I was surprised to see Jonathan Joseph on there.

What you guys think, agree or disagree?

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45iehm/johnathan-joseph/#gallerycontent

Yankee_In_TX
09-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Do you remember our secondary before he and Manning?

dc_txtech
09-17-2012, 12:27 PM
I think whoever came up with that list doesn't know what they're talking about.

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2012, 12:28 PM
:vincepalm:

Totally disagree. I don't care about pro bowls or all pro selections, I care about how important he is to our team. And he's DAMNED important to our team.

And I disagree with Vernon Davis being on that list, too.

beerlover
09-17-2012, 12:30 PM
with exception of Joseph this is a pretty solid list, might want to change out Jonathan with Jay Cutler :vincepalm:

dc_txtech
09-17-2012, 12:31 PM
:vincepalm:

Totally disagree. I don't care about pro bowls or all pro selections, I care about how important he is to our team. And he's DAMNED important to our team.

And I disagree with Vernon Davis being on that list, too.

Vernon Davis dominated that game last night, whether it was as a receiver or a blocker he looked like an all pro.

TheIronDuke
What a joke. MW isn't even on there but Joseph is?

Trail.Blazr
In a league where everyone is grossly overpaid, Joseph, McFadden and Vernon Davis don't belong on that list.

Mr. Texan
09-17-2012, 12:41 PM
how the hell is nnamdi asomugha not on this list?

or chris johnson

Say Watt
09-17-2012, 12:51 PM
In a league where everyone is grossly overpaid, Joseph, McFadden and Vernon Davis don't belong on that list.

I'd argue McFadden deserves to be on there. I mean staying on the field is what he gets paid to do and he doesn't do that near enough. He is great when he plays. But he plays far too little for what he is paid.

Double Barrel
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM

QFT. Any list that does not include MW cannot be taken seriously.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-17-2012, 01:00 PM
No!

Trail.Blazr
09-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd argue McFadden deserves to be on there. I mean staying on the field is what he gets paid to do and he doesn't do that near enough. He is great when he plays. But he plays far too little for what he is paid.

But I don't think I can fault the Raiders for that one. They paid out based on his talent, with an assumption that he'd be on the field more often than not. I see this more as a situation where McFadden has "underplayed".

If we can agree on the difference between underperformed vs. underplayed, then I think we can agree that the Raiders didn't so much as over pay, than McFadden underplayed.

Either way, he does make more money than he's earned ;-) I'll concede that.

But, where in the heck is Mario Williams on this list?

Corrosion
09-17-2012, 01:05 PM
They are entertainers .... they are all overpaid IMO. :kitten:

silentassassin
09-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Check out the list's reason for Joseph:

2012 salary: $9.75 million Terrific last season, but the corner drafted in the first round in 2006 has started a full 16-game season once (2009) and been named All-Pro once (2011).

The fact that he was named all-pro/pro-bowler last season with the Texans speaks to how valuable he is to this team.

I can't exactly remember his injury situation last year, but I don't recall a game that he missed due to injury. Perhaps he sat out in the last game of the season? Still, he played in 15 regular season games last year.

Whoever picked Joseph for the list did so without any context.

dream_team
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM

The fact that he was named all-pro/pro-bowler last season with the Texans speaks to how valuable he is to this team.

I can't exactly remember his injury situation last year, but I don't recall a game that he missed due to injury. Perhaps he sat out in the last game of the season? Still, he played in 15 regular season games last year.

He would have played 16 games last season if we cared about winning that last game at all. Whoever wrote this article obviously knows nothing about football.

2slik4u
09-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Forbes released a list titled "NFL's Most Overpaid Players", and I was surprised to see Jonathan Joseph on there.

What you guys think, agree or disagree?

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/eddf45iehm/johnathan-joseph/#gallerycontent

I just went to the link and didnt see Joseph on there???

I did however see Owen Daniels but no Joesph or Mcfadden for that matter.

CretorFrigg
09-17-2012, 02:03 PM
They are entertainers .... they are all overpaid IMO. :kitten:

They're only overpaid because we, the fans, allow them to be.

:smiliepalm:

I'm a sucker.

bhsman
09-17-2012, 02:04 PM
It's pretty simple: whoever wrote this did so incompetently or did so as to troll for discussion, and going by this thread it looks like it was successful.

TheIronDuke
09-17-2012, 02:08 PM
I just went to the link and didnt see Joseph on there???

I did however see Owen Daniels but no Joesph or Mcfadden for that matter.

Yeah I just clicked the link again and it's completely different. Now it's showing overpaid players from last season.

houstonspartan
09-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Co-sign.

Jon Joseph earns his paycheck.

Dutchrudder
09-17-2012, 02:15 PM
I think the better question is, "Is Kareem Jackson overpaid?"

:stirpot:

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
That's weird. They changed up the list totally.

Dutchrudder
09-17-2012, 02:39 PM

Yeah, now it's more like 2011 players who are overpaid. Maybe they are re-doing the 2012 list after realizing they didn't do their homework.

Rey
09-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Their reasoning makes 0 sense.

The contract that we paid him he has lived up to it so far.

They are talking about his total injury history, which is not relevant to whether or not he is currently overpaid.

He's earned his contract with us..

badboy
09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
No. A shut down corner averaging a bit over $6m first two years and escalating to only $8.5m in 5th year (2015) is one of the better contracts in the NFL. Relatively small bonus and guarantee also.

HJam72
09-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Owen Daniels is on there now.

I'm not even considering anything they say until I see Mario on there, but I did see Dunta Robinson and agree with it.

ObsiWan
09-17-2012, 03:41 PM

Yeah, now it's more like 2011 players who are overpaid. Maybe they are re-doing the 2012 list after realizing they didn't do their homework.

Same here. No Johnathan Joseph but there is an Owen Daniels mention. WTF??

HJam72
09-17-2012, 03:44 PM
They might as well just make the list a LOT bigger and include every player in the NFL. Then, I might agree with it. :)

CretorFrigg
09-17-2012, 03:54 PM
J-Jo's the man. He's one of the top corners in the league, which allows Wade to confidently blitz his LBs. Joseph's vital to our defense. So no, he's not overpaid.

rolyat93
09-17-2012, 04:02 PM
J-Jo's the man. He's one of the top corners in the league, which allows Wade to confidently blitz his LBs. Joseph's vital to our defense. So no, he's not overpaid.

I'd go as far as to say he's one of the most underpaid players in the league.(that isn't on rookie scale.)

TEXANS84
09-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Poll is at 51-0, kind of answers your question.

Kaiser Toro
09-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Hell, to the no! He came as advertised, but his value to this team is grossly underrated for those not in the know. Best acquisition ever for this organization, and the type of transaction that a GM points to on his profile.

Dutchrudder
09-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd go as far as to say he's one of the most underpaid players in the league.(that isn't on rookie scale.)

There are only a few true Cornerbacks who make more than him on average, and they are Asomougha, Revis, Champ Bailey, Brandon Carr and Finnegan. There are a few that make nearly the same amount over their contract too and they are Dunta, Deangelo Hall, Chris Gamble, Brandon Flowers, Ladarius Webb, Leon Hall and Antonio Cromartie.

He's easily in the top 10 in terms of payment, so I think he's being paid just fine. No concern for future holdouts, and he's show to be a team player with his restructure this year.

fiasco west
09-17-2012, 06:52 PM
They have misspelled Nnamdi Asomugha. Can't blame them, it's a hard name to spell.

HJam72
09-17-2012, 07:05 PM
I spent about 5 years griping that we needed a corner like him, it took having Wade as DC to get it done, you see where we are with the D, and heck no he is not overpaid.

Furthermore, we made the right choice getting KJ; we just put way too much on him too soon.

Pass D matters.

ItsMyFault
09-17-2012, 07:19 PM
He's the 2nd best CB in the NFL behind Revis.

Definitely not overpaid.

And I'm tired of people saying Asomugha is better than Joseph. He isn't.

Aso couldn't even cover Jacoby Jones yesterday...

Vinny
09-17-2012, 07:21 PM
oh man...final frickin' straw....I'm gonna stop going to Forbes for my NFL news and insight.

False Start
09-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Exactly! Couldnt have said it better myself. Joseph, and Manning are two of the most important FA signing in this team's history.

As to whoever wrote that mess must not watch football, or just is a dumbass.... probably both.

Brisco_County
09-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Seems like a story where the writer just looked at a bunch of stats and salaries. The best CB's don't have descriptive stats, because they don't get thrown at.

Texn4life
09-17-2012, 09:08 PM
oh man...final frickin' straw....I'm gonna stop going to Forbes for my NFL news and insight.

:spit:

Exactly! That would be like John Madden giving hair and makeup advice. Definitely have to consider the source.

Texan_Bill
09-17-2012, 09:18 PM

WTF are you talking about?? MW has had 3 tackles in 2 games as a Bill. Isn't that worth $50 mill guaranteed and another $46(ish) mill if his contract is realized??? :kitten:

STOOPID!!! Very, very stopid!!!! :facepalm:

Texan_Bill
09-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Actually Forbes is right... Dunta Robinson would've been a better deal!! :rolleyes:!

drs23
09-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Actually Forbes is right... Dunta Robinson would've been a better deal!! :rolleyes:!

I've not enbibed TOO MUCH this PM but Doonta made some pretty good plays last night. Actual coverage. I was somewhat amazed personally.

Showtime100
09-18-2012, 07:24 PM
The vote stands at 87-0 for not overpaid. I wish this board would make up it's mind. :nolisten:

:texflag: :texflag:

Wolf6151
09-19-2012, 05:43 AM
This list was obviously made up by someone who knows nothing about football.

Lucky
09-19-2012, 06:32 AM
Yes, I'm sticking with Fortune and the WSJ.

Dutchrudder
09-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Got 99 votes, but a yes ain't one.

Big Lou
09-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Really 100 "No" votes?

Shutdown Corners are a dime a dozens in the NFL, cut him and sign some one for the vet minimum.............

:sarcasm:

:Forbes Palm:

IlliniJen
09-19-2012, 10:20 AM
how the hell is nnamdi asomugha not on this list?

or chris johnson

Chris Johnson isn't on the list?

wut.

IlliniJen
09-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Got 99 votes, but a yes ain't one.

I regret to inform you that I must go out and spread the rep before awarding it to you again.

Bulls on Parade
09-19-2012, 11:10 AM
The best cornerback in the game today. Better than Darrelle Revis in fact. I have him neck and neck with Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey, in terms of the best to ever play the game. He's under-paid if you ask me.

HollaIFyaHEMI
09-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Jonathan Joseph deserves every bit of that money. I just don't want people forgetting about his battery mate Glover Quin. He has been the best FS this franchise has had since Marcus Coleman. He doesn't have the flash that Coleman had, but he rarely gets burnt and is ALWAYS in the right position at the right time.

Showtime100
09-19-2012, 11:29 AM
[At the Democratic National Convention]

"...and based on my judgement the "ayes" have it! Joseph will get a paycut!!"

(just kidding around folks, just kidding around) :D

darnbni99a
09-19-2012, 11:48 AM

exactly........:toropalm:

ItsMyFault
09-20-2012, 03:11 PM
The best cornerback in the game today. Better than Darrelle Revis in fact. I have him neck and neck with Deion Sanders and Champ Bailey, in terms of the best to ever play the game. He's under-paid if you ask me.

Alright slow down. He's great, but Revis is still better right now. As far as the other players you mentioned with him, don't compare JJ to any legends until his career his actually over. That's an insult to those legends.

TimeKiller
09-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Not even close.