PDA

View Full Version : Texans make contract offer to Shelton

DRIFTAWAY
05-27-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey guys i was just watching 11 News and at the end of their sports section they mentioned that " The Texans have made a contract offer to former Cardinal Left Tackle L.J. Shelton."

Lets hope he signs

ATX
05-27-2005, 10:37 PM
any details about the offer? salary and years?

jacquescas
05-28-2005, 02:35 AM
tree dollars and fitty cents over 2 years. He has an incentive clause that will give him a free slurpy from 7-11 for every game started.

TMac48
05-28-2005, 03:29 AM
tree dollars and fitty cents over 2 years. He has an incentive clause that will give him a free slurpy from 7-11 for every game started.
LoL, that damn lochness monster.

LBblitz
05-28-2005, 10:13 AM
he aint gettin my damn tree fity.

Keldar
05-28-2005, 10:36 AM

HA,HA,HA, Snort,......Giggle,......Burp!!!! lol:

pittbull
05-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I think the guy would prosper in Houston. It's not like Arizona had the best program to learn from. He's got talent, athletic, and with some of the characters were getting into H-Town....might add some nasty streaks on the O-line!

DRIFTAWAY
05-28-2005, 11:37 AM
well nothing is done yet, it was just an offer and they mentioned it pretty quickly at the end of their sports segment didnt go into detail. He could still refuse it or w/e.

keyfro
05-28-2005, 11:51 AM
i think he will sign with us because we are the only team he is visiting that is offering him a chance to start at LT that is the position he wants to play...everyone else is offering RT, G, and back up positions...so i see him coming here...carr breaths a slight sigh of releif

throwANDREtheBALL
05-28-2005, 01:41 PM
I know that it would be one step in the right direction to helping improve the line.

The rotating LT curse might finally be lifting ?

I sure hope he signs, and we can end that curse.

HardKnockTexan
05-28-2005, 01:53 PM
where did you see this at?? I searched but couldnt find any info on the Texans offering Shelton a contract. If you have a site i'd love to see it.

TexansTrueFan
05-28-2005, 04:27 PM
i have looked every where to find out something, i have that google alert update sent to my email and they didnt even mention it, any new news yet ????

sprtsfanatic
05-28-2005, 07:09 PM
I havent found anything on it yet either... :fishing:

F-minus67
05-28-2005, 07:23 PM
how much money do we have to sign him with enough left over to sign rookies?

TexansTrueFan
05-28-2005, 07:32 PM
i think we have quite a bit left in our bank to sign rookies and get some FA, but who knows i could be wrong.

Vinny
05-28-2005, 08:57 PM
We have no cap issues that prevent us from signing a guy or two like this if we want to.

Hervoyel
05-28-2005, 10:52 PM

Now Gosh Dabbit, Don't you go offerring that Shelton no tree fitty jacquescas! Start wit a buck oh five!

TexanFanInCC
05-29-2005, 01:24 AM
LoL, that damn lochness monster.

good ole south park :homer:

jacquescas
05-29-2005, 01:37 AM
doesn't freedom cost a buck o five?

fred1989
05-29-2005, 09:35 AM
he should prosper because we have an offense that is in need of a good LT

Texas_Heat
05-29-2005, 10:07 AM

I guess The Texans can't sign him then there are no 7-11's in Houston only Stop n Go's :coffee:

Lucky
05-29-2005, 11:31 AM
if we sign we could keep chester in guard and also have a alright backup lt like victor riley behind shelton...
Even if the Texans sign Shelton and he wins the LT spot, I doubt they'd just cut Wand. He would likely be the backup LT, with Riley the backup RT. Maybe it would allow Riley to challenge Wiegert at RG?

Anyway, the best reason to sign Shelton is that it would at least provide competition at the LT & maybe the RG spots. And competition is a good thing. Much better than just anointing guys as starters and hoping they earn that confidence.

texanfan2002114
05-29-2005, 11:32 AM
I still haven't seen anywhere else where the Texans offered Shelton a contract. Can somebody update or did this guy who started this string just start a rumor?

wags
05-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Maybe it would allow Riley to challenge Wiegert at RG?

I would like to see Riley challenge Wiegert also.

Lucky
05-29-2005, 11:37 AM
I still haven't seen anywhere else where the Texans offered Shelton a contract.
The info was off a Friday night KHOU-TV broadcast. I didn't see the broadcast myself, but others did. A contract offer won't make many wire services headlines (unless it's a high profile guy like Pace). A contract agreement will. Until then, we'll all keep our eyes & ears open.

texanfan2002114
05-29-2005, 11:40 AM
The info was off a Friday night KHOU-TV broadcast. I didn't see the broadcast myself, but others did. A contract offer won't make many wire services headlines (unless it's a high profile guy like Pace). A contract agreement will. Until then, we'll all keep our eyes & ears open.

Thank you!! I wasn't trying to start anything but just want the Texans to sign him and haven't seen any info on the contract offer.(contract amount and how long)

F-minus67
05-29-2005, 12:02 PM
There are no 7-11s in houston? Thats an out rage! :mad:

texasguy346
05-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Anyway, the best reason to sign Shelton is that it would at least provide competition at the LT & maybe the RG spots. And competition is a good thing. Much better than just anointing guys as starters and hoping they earn that confidence.

I definately agree with that. We need depth at the OLine, and if we hope to make any noise this season we'll need backups that are capable of filling in for short periods of time.

U4ikrob
05-30-2005, 12:04 PM
There are no 7-11s in houston? Thats an out rage! :mad:

Yea I know it sucks - Stop n go bought all of em out several years ago and then sold most of those to Diamond shamrock in later years. I still miss 7-11's slurpees were the bomb. I can only get them now at the movie theatre and special convenience stores that have the machines.

Shelton - his agent and him reported last week they hope to have somethign decided by the end of this upcoming week so I think after the june 1st cuts come and everyone looks at the market he will make an announcement of some sort. Would be nice if we could get some depth/competition at LT for sure.

Im not so sure Riley will make the squad unless he loses some weight and reports to camp under the target weight. He was pretty out of shape from the early reports I read.

erickwsmom
05-30-2005, 12:52 PM
I saw the same report on Channel 11, but they didn't mention any details at all. We need to add finger tapping to the smilies list for the offseason as we wait.

TexansTrueFan
05-30-2005, 06:04 PM
still havent heard anything about it.

Ibar_Harry
05-30-2005, 07:21 PM
I can just hear Capers, now.. Did somebody say run left. Oh, that's whats wrong. Hey, Palmer set up to run left. Move everyone from the right side to the left side. That way the other team won't know which way we're going to run. :bomb:

TexansTrueFan
05-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I can just hear Capers, now.. Did somebody say run left. Oh, that's whats wrong. Hey, Palmer set up to run left. Move everyone from the right side to the left side. That way the other team won't know which way we're going to run. :bomb:

haha always a positive view on things huh ibar, lol.

Ibar_Harry
05-30-2005, 07:29 PM
haha always a positive view on things huh ibar, lol.

On a serious note it just seems like nobody likes any of the options open to us. I'm not skipping me either. It seems like we have really boxed ourselves into a corner on this one. Some of you obviously feel more hopeful than me, but you have to admit I don't think anyone feels secure about how our offensive line is going to perform. No QB looks good when his O-line is failing him.

ojthecat
05-30-2005, 07:34 PM
I don't think anyone feels secure about how our offensive line is going to perform. No QB looks good when his O-line is failing him.

I feel secure. Look we are better than last year and trying to get even better if it makes since. I say 11-5 or 12-4.

TexansTrueFan
05-30-2005, 07:36 PM
On a serious note it just seems like nobody likes any of the options open to us. I'm not skipping me either. It seems like we have really boxed ourselves into a corner on this one. Some of you obviously feel more hopeful than me, but you have to admit I don't think anyone feels secure about how our offensive line is going to perform. No QB looks good when his O-line is failing him.

u dont see them playing any better this year, i mean considering they have had a full year together with our new zone blocking scheme. I think our running game will be alot better, and hopefully with a full year under their belts they can give carr a little protection so we can light up opposing defenses.

Ibar_Harry
05-30-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, we're changing our offensive scheme again so that says something. I don't think Vinny or anyone on this board is confortible. But, others are obviously more upbeat than me. But I wouldn't say anybody is overwelmingly confident. I think what bothers everyone is it's the piece of the puzzle that eludes us and would tell us a lot about Carr and the team. How good is David? I think the answer is we don't know, because he never has had a lot of protection. Therefore, it's hard to gague how good he is. We get hints both ways. Sometimes you wonder and other times you say if only he had some time. It also makes it difficult for us to evaluate our receivers. How good is AJ? I think there are even questions in that respect despite what people think. How good is Starling? How good is Gaffny? Hopefully, you get the drift. I think most Texans fans think this team is a lot better offensively than it's shown and it looks like another year of guessing what is in store for us. That's a bummer..................

Vinny
05-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, we're changing our offensive scheme again so that says something. I don't think Vinny or anyone on this board is confortible.We are not changing the Offensive scheme. We may be changing the blocking protections and calls - making some yearly adjustments that all teams make, but the basic scheme will be the same. I'm pretty comfy. I can't wait till we play some ball.

Ibar_Harry
05-31-2005, 02:05 AM
We are not changing the Offensive scheme. We may be changing the blocking protections and calls - making some yearly adjustments that all teams make, but the basic scheme will be the same. I'm pretty comfy. I can't wait till we play some ball.

Will basically agree to disagree on this one Vinny. I know what they have said, but I think you will find in reality that they have changed their scheme. The real thing is I hope like you it does work. I just don't have the confidence you have and you have to have some worry despite what you say. Is their some potential this year? Yes, however, I think their is also reason for concern. I keep saying if we get our O-line problems solved, then we could be on the verge of something nice. I guess that's why I'm so adament about fixing the O-line. I think we will all be smiling about the results.

THEFUTURE
05-31-2005, 03:07 AM
Will basically agree to disagree on this one Vinny. I know what they have said, but I think you will find in reality that they have changed their scheme. The real thing is I hope like you it does work. I just don't have the confidence you have and you have to have some worry despite what you say. Is their some potential this year? Yes, however, I think their is also reason for concern. I keep saying if we get our O-line problems solved, then we could be on the verge of something nice. I guess that's why I'm so adament about fixing the O-line. I think we will all be smiling about the results.
well there is only so much we can do, we basically made our run at Pace, signed Riley, making an effort for Shelton... the draft was so weak with OLmen, anyone we drafted wouldnt have made a immediate impact.... next year is a good OL class, we will most likely pick up an interior linemen to replace mckinney in the 2nd round

jacquescas
05-31-2005, 11:05 AM
how can you call wand a waste of money he has a full year starting experience and would probably be our best tackle off the bench and is still improving. He is only under his rookie contract which is very affordable and woulld provide competiton and depth at the tackle position. its not like we need to free up any cap room right now.

also didn't shelton say he would sign quick how long is he gonna sit on the market? HAVE ANY other teams made him a conctract offer

Ibar_Harry
05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
From what I read the Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. That means there has to be a reason given our obvious O-line needs. I believe Shelton wanted to give an answer by the end of this week. I think we are offering the position he wants, but not the money. Again, I'm simply summarizing what I have read from various articles. After reading I have gotten a little nervous about this guy. If he signs with us, I think it will be because he just wasn't going to get other offers.

OzzO
05-31-2005, 12:09 PM
Not the latest, but an interesting story on LJ nonetheless....
Green returns Shelton to starting role

NFL.com wire reports

TEMPE, Ariz. (Oct. 6, 2004) -- L.J. Shelton is back in the starting lineup for the Arizona Cardinals, and the big offensive tackle says he intends to do everything he can to stay there.

"I'm not taking anything for granted, I know that," he said after an entire workout with the first team. "It's always a 'for now' business. If I'm not productive, I won't be here. I've just got to build on last week, and keep getting better."

Shelton and Jeremy Bridges were inserted at right tackle and guard, respectively, in place of Anthony Clement and Cameron Spikes on the third series of their Week 4 game against New Orleans.

Suddenly, the Cardinals began to move the ball, particularly on the ground, and went on to a 34-10 victory.

"I tell you what, something happened when they got in the game," Emmitt Smith said.

Arizona finished with 211 yards rushing and 373 total yards -- all but 4 of them in the last three quarters. Smith gained 127 yards in 21 carries.

"We had a good game running the ball," quarterback Josh McCown said, "and L.J. has been very patient, and Bridges, as well. It's good to see those guys back there. ... It's good to see L.J. back, because you know he's going to play hard every time he's on the field."

Bridges, signed by Arizona after being cut by Philadelphia, knew he would have to fight his way into the lineup. But Shelton had little reason to think he would be on the sidelines.

Entering this season, Shelton started at left tackle 68 of the 70 games in which he appeared. He was rewarded with a five-year contract extension last November.

But the former first-round draft pick from Eastern Michigan underwent offseason elbow and ankle operations, then came in out of shape in the summer minicamps.

New coach Dennis Green planned all along to move Leonard Davis from left guard to left tackle, Shelton's longtime position. Most thought Shelton would shift to another spot along the line.

But Green yanked Shelton from the first unit in June, and the situation didn't change even as the tackle worked his way into shape. Shelton was sidelined with a sore back the last two weeks of the preseason, but he returned to practice the week before the opener at St. Louis.

Still, through the first three contests, the only game action the 6-foot-6, 335-pound lineman saw was on special teams.

"I'll be ready when they need me," was his stock answer to questions about not playing.

Meanwhile, Arizona's offense sputtered. The Cardinals scored only 25 points in three games. They began the Saints game with two three-and-outs, then Green made the changes on the line.

"We played with the same lineup for a long period of time," Green said. "It didn't quite click maybe the way we wanted it to."

Green said he doesn't like to make lineup changes without giving players a good, long look.

"I always give guys a chance to get their job, hold their job," he said. "I'd rather be late than early when it comes to making switches, because when I make 'em, I make 'em."

After watching video of his performance, Shelton was less than satisfied.

"I was productive," he said. "You could tell by watching I wasn't very comfortable over there on the right side. There were some things footwork-wise. I gave us a chance to win, but I know my expectations of myself were higher."

Shelton acknowledged his time on the sidelines gave him motivation, and not only for one game.

"After sitting for three games after getting the contract I had, I'm sure there were going to be questions about what was going on there," he said. "So I have to show that I can play. I have to show I can prove people wrong."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ARI/7773974)

ojthecat
05-31-2005, 12:13 PM
From what I read the Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. That means there has to be a reason given our obvious O-line needs. I believe Shelton wanted to give an answer by the end of this week. I think we are offering the position he wants, but not the money. Again, I'm simply summarizing what I have read from various articles. After reading I have gotten a little nervous about this guy. If he signs with us, I think it will be because he just wasn't going to get other offers.

Look this was a holliday weekend nothing was going to happen. The fact is he said that he hoped to be signed by Friday last time I checked it is Tuesday. Plus where did you read that the "Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. "? I have not seen that anywhere and would be interested in where you actually saw this?

El Tejano
05-31-2005, 01:10 PM
I like this guys attitude. I think the situation itself will mean that we would get a real good and mature Shelton as opposed to the guy that had to get over the hump of rehab and surgery.

Vinny
05-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Look this was a holliday weekend nothing was going to happen. The fact is he said that he hoped to be signed by Friday last time I checked it is Tuesday. Plus where did you read that the "Texans were not interest in offering him a lot of money. "? I have not seen that anywhere and would be interested in where you actually saw this?Ibar can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. He is just speculating again. If we don't want to pay too much for an average lineman I can't find too much fault in that.

U4ikrob
05-31-2005, 02:24 PM
I think I heard about this contract offer and not wanting to pay too much from the Justice & McClain show.

I just heard a blurb on Mcclain and justice about the line. Several comments about them not being settled on the line yet and still switching things around. They talked about bringing in Shelton and making a min offer plus a bonus to get him to come in for a workout etc etc.

http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/sports/mcclain/home/index.html

John Lopez also gave a pretty hard look at the O-line I agree mostly with.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/fb/texans/3200517

Ibar_Harry
05-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Ibar can find a dark cloud in every silver lining. He is just speculating again. If we don't want to pay too much for an average lineman I can't find too much fault in that.

Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact. I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason. Does that mean it won't work out? No, I just think its less likely that we will sign him under those circumstances unless no one else wants to make an offer.

I was also responding to someone who wondered when he might sign. I also was stating by the end of this week. Oh,well, seems like a lot of ruffled feathers over nothing.

Vinny
05-31-2005, 04:36 PM
Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact. Facts are easy to prove. Prove it. Otherwise it is writer speculation or musings - making logical assumptions. Show me where Charley Casserly has disclosed an offer. I haven't seen anything that says we offered him a minimum contract yet. If you can prove it, great. Then it will be a fact. Frankly it probably is a fact soon (they will likely offer him a contract soon) because he is a bust 1st rounder who just got cut. Probably incentive laden.

ojthecat
05-31-2005, 04:47 PM
Vinny all I said is what I read about not wanting to offer him a lot of money. Its just a statement of fact. I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason. Does that mean it won't work out? No, I just think its less likely that we will sign him under those circumstances unless no one else wants to make an offer.

I was also responding to someone who wondered when he might sign. I also was stating by the end of this week. Oh,well, seems like a lot of ruffled feathers over nothing.

The way NFL contracts work it would be no real problem to offer a player a large contract (not signing bonus) and then cut the player. Thus I do not believe that your statements hold water. If you are correct simply provide your source don't say i just read it. Look most of us read the all of the other sites so if it was on ESPN i think we would have seen it. We are starved for Texans news so anything written would be read by others. Sounds to me like you might be making it up sir.

infantrycak
05-31-2005, 05:23 PM
I can't remember, but I believe it was on ESPN were I read that. In fact what I read I believe referred to the minimum. The only reason I remember was I was surprised that the Texans wanted to low ball this position. If indeed the figure is a low ball then there must be some nervousness on the part of the Texans for some reason.

The only place I have seen discussions about low offers from the Texans for Shelton were by fans here and at hpf and it was stated in a positive light as in "sure bring him in for competition but only at a small possibly heavily incentive ladden contract." That approach isn't low-balling the guy. He is a 1st rounder who played one year on a new 5 year contract and the team was so disappointed in him they didn't want to keep him even for depth and took a $3.3 mil cap hit to do so. That is something the Texans need to avoid. Sure, give him incentives that would let him get up to a decent salary but do it on top of a very small signing bonus (so he can be cut without too much dead money) and make him compete for the spot. The problem with your low-ball take is it is typically slanted negative to the Texans and overlooks the biggest piece of the equation--the actual player. It is all fine and dandy to say they should look for upgrade LT's, but you don't just haul off and sign a huge risk player to a big contract so you can prove you spent money on a need.

FILO_girl
05-31-2005, 05:50 PM
I think there are some boooooored Texan Fans out there. :bouncey:
Yeppers. But some solid info on this debate would be great..... :fishing:

Blake
05-31-2005, 05:50 PM
I think there are some boooooored Texan Fans out there. :bouncey:

The AJ nickname thread is proof. Thank the Lord for NFL Europe.

Porky
05-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Facts are easy to prove. Prove it. Otherwise it is writer speculation or musings - making logical assumptions. Show me where Charley Casserly has disclosed an offer. I haven't seen anything that says we offered him a minimum contract yet. If you can prove it, great. Then it will be a fact. Frankly it probably is a fact soon (they will likely offer him a contract soon) because he is a bust 1st rounder who just got cut. Probably incentive laden.

I think calling him a bust is a bit harsh. He may not have lived up to his draft position, but that doesn't neccessarily equate to bust. Afterall, he started something like 68 out of 70 games at LT. Most busts don't do that, and then get rewarded with a large 5 yr contract extension. He was coming off a couple of injuries last year, and showed up out of shape, landing him squarely in Green's doghouse. He used him as an example, because he is trying to instill a different paradigm and mindest on a sad sack team. I'll be the first to admit he isn't likely to be the second coming of Anthony Munoz, but I feel the guy is at least a legit starting LT. And, that is an upgrade from what we have had in the past. As discussed, I would feel better about it if he is signed with a low cap figure, and a heavily incentized contract.

wags
05-31-2005, 07:01 PM
I think calling him a bust is a bit harsh. He may not have lived up to his draft position, but that doesn't neccessarily equate to bust. Afterall, he started something like 68 out of 70 games at LT. Most busts don't do that, and then get rewarded with a large 5 yr contract extension. He was coming off a couple of injuries last year, and showed up out of shape, landing him squarely in Green's doghouse. He used him as an example, because he is trying to instill a different paradigm and mindest on a sad sack team. I'll be the first to admit he isn't likely to be the second coming of Anthony Munoz, but I feel the guy is at least a legit starting LT. And, that is an upgrade from what we have had in the past. As discussed, I would feel better about it if he is signed with a low cap figure, and a heavily incentized contract.

You pretty much summed up my view. :)

Ibar_Harry
05-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Facts are easy to prove. Prove it. Otherwise it is writer speculation or musings - making logical assumptions. Show me where Charley Casserly has disclosed an offer. I haven't seen anything that says we offered him a minimum contract yet. If you can prove it, great. Then it will be a fact. Frankly it probably is a fact soon (they will likely offer him a contract soon) because he is a bust 1st rounder who just got cut. Probably incentive laden.

As I have stated I read it somewhere, but I can't recall where right now. However, for further verification of what might have happened go to the Justice and McClain report on the Offensive Line. Listen to what John McClain says at the beginning. I was following a post from someone else and wound up at a site with comments on L J Shelton. I was going to mark it and didn't, but that's the way it goes. When I say comments it was an article. Again I wished I would have flagged it....................

Vinny
05-31-2005, 08:26 PM
He's in Houston right now from what 790am is reporting so they are apparently close.

texan279
05-31-2005, 08:29 PM
Keep us workin' folk updated if you can Vinny, it would be much appreciated! :highfive:

texanfan2002114
05-31-2005, 08:53 PM
He's in Houston right now from what 790am is reporting so they are apparently close.

Thanks for the update Vinny!!! Hopefully the Texans can close the deal and get this O-Line shored up!!!

edo783
05-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Didn't he leave H-Town a couple of days ago? If he is back, THAT is a very good sign. I for one didn't think we would be able to get him. Just had a feeling he was stringing us along. So, if we do manage to land him, ya'll can ignore my feelings from here on out. Keep the up dates coming and your fingers and toes crossed.

Porky
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Didn't he leave H-Town a couple of days ago? If he is back, THAT is a very good sign. I for one didn't think we would be able to get him. Just had a feeling he was stringing us along. So, if we do manage to land him, ya'll can ignore my feelings from here on out. Keep the up dates coming and your fingers and toes crossed.

I believe he was in town around last Wednesday/Thursday, and left at that time. If he is back, as the report suggests, it's because he is coming to sign imo. There may be a few details to work out, but I would bet a dollar to a dougnut hole, that the major parameters are worked out, and I imagine we'll have an annopuncement tomorrow, or Thursday at the latest. Good news!

texanfan2002114
05-31-2005, 09:07 PM

I to thought that he left town but if Vinny heard him on the radio and said he was in town then I also agree with you that its a good sign.

GO GET EM CC!!!!!!!

Ibar_Harry
05-31-2005, 09:20 PM
I would expect if he is it will be an incentives contract as I believe Vinny said. That would be a win-win situation. It would be nice to be able to see David have a chance to look down field. I still say an O-line is the missing piece to the Texan's puzzle. Just think we would have AJ,LJ and TJ. Kind of interesting when you think about it. If Bennie ever gets well we could add BJ to that mix.

Texans Pride
05-31-2005, 10:04 PM
This is the good news that I have been waiting for. There are mixed opinions about this guy, but one thing I think we can all agree on, is that he will surely add competition to the line, which we all know is never a bad thing, and I feel he is at least somewhat of an upgrade over what we have now.

texan279
05-31-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm not going to lie, I know almost nothing about Shelton. But I have read in several bits and pieces he has athleticism. Put that into our zone blocking scheme, throw in the incentive filled contract if we sign him, and it could be a recipe for a solid young LT for the next several years.

Lucky
05-31-2005, 10:36 PM
KPRC-TV reported that the Texans spoke with Shelton's agent (Eric Metz) today, but no progress was made. :shrug:

texanfan2002114
06-01-2005, 07:45 AM
KPRC-TV reported that the Texans spoke with Shelton's agent (Eric Metz) today, but no progress was made. :shrug:

Vinny you did hear Shelton on the radio and he did say he was in Houston and close to signing, right???? Please update.

Mr Shush
06-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Maybe we should try plugging Matt Stone into the O-line. I don't suppose he could block worth a damn, but he might just freak the defense out to the point where they just didn't want to go near him.

FILO_girl
06-01-2005, 12:12 PM
Pardonez-moi for the green question....

What is holding up the signing, is it money or the fine print? This is a "what do you speculate" answer that I am looking for. Signing finesse is something I haven't paid much attention to. :)

Porky
06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Pardonez-moi for the green question....

What is holding up the signing, is it money or the fine print? This is a "what do you speculate" answer that I am looking for. Signing finesse is something I haven't paid much attention to. :)

Well, I guess it depends if him and his agent are here in town, as 790 apparently reported. I haven't been able to find another media outlet reporting this. If he isn't here, I jumped the gun. Assuming he is here, I would speculate it's just down to minor stuff, like incentives and such. Just a guess though. If he isn't here, then there could still be a major divide in base money, years, signing bonus, etc.

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Well, I guess it depends if him and his agent are here in town, as 790 apparently reported. I haven't been able to find another media outlet reporting this. If he isn't here, I jumped the gun. Assuming he is here, I would speculate it's just down to minor stuff, like incentives and such. Just a guess though. If he isn't here, then there could still be a major divide in base money, years, signing bonus, etc.

If you listen to McClain it would appear the initial offers were not that high. McClain talked about minimum plus perhaps a little. Vinny was all over me for that, but what can I say. I believe I read that somewhere else also. The Texans are acting like there's something bothering them about Shelton, but may be that's a ploy. He might come here and be great simply because of how he feels and how he fits in and then again he could be a big bust. This is not a clear cut decision. Its not like the Pace situation. It does look like it has some potential, however.

Porky
06-01-2005, 12:37 PM
The Texans are acting like there's something bothering them about Shelton, but may be that's a ploy.

I don't beleive it's a ploy. The guy was released by the Cards for crying out loud. Do you want them to break the bank on a high risk guy who was just cut by his former team? What kind of ploy would the Texans be employing?

By the way, I found an interesting article written today out of Cleveland entitled
Ex-Card Shelton may interest Browns (http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=17&ID=225607&r=5&external=&newCookie=yes&userID=124067).

A few key quotes:

“At this point, L.J. has visited Houston and Chicago,” Shelton’s agent, Vance Larimer, said Tuesday. “We’re contemplating whether to visit elsewhere.

“It’s still kind of preliminary, and we haven’t talked to Cleveland at this point.”

The 6-foot-6, 335-pound giant was thrown into competition for the right-tackle job, and won it. But he missed the last three games with a left-knee injury.

“He’s got a lot left,” Larimer said. “Certainly he played at a high level at left tackle two years ago.”

If it asks you to register to view the article, try using:
wally@trashmail.net
wally

Vinny
06-01-2005, 12:37 PM
If you listen to McClain it would appear the initial offers were not that high. McClain talked about minimum plus perhaps a little. Vinny was all over me for that, but what can I say.You stated you had 'facts', and I told you to prove facts, otherwise it is speculation. As to the rest of your speculation, odds are the sky isn't falling.

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
You stated you had 'facts', and I told you to prove facts, otherwise it is speculation. As to the rest of your speculation, odds are the sky isn't falling.

Have you listened to McClain? Seems like he's quite definite in his statement of the facts. There are written as well as spoken statements of fact - Vinny. I guess you are saying McClain is not telling the truth.

Vinny
06-01-2005, 12:53 PM
If Casserly laid out his Shelton offer to McClain you can prove it pretty easy. Everything is speculation until the real facts come out.

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 01:00 PM
If Casserly laid out his Shelton offer to McClain you can prove it pretty easy. Everything is speculation until the real facts come out.

Again, you have made your statement, but did you listen to John McClain Vinny? Is the source the Texans or Shelton's agent? I don't think it is clear, but it is clear what was probably offered. I think I have offered ample proof of what I have said from a reasonable source. I think he has some inside info on a number of these issues. Is he always right, NO. But you certainly do have to listen to what he says even when we don't like what he says.

Vinny
06-01-2005, 01:04 PM
He says "I think they offered the mimimum or a little more". That is speculation. We really don't know what they are discussing. This chicken little stuff just gets old. Justice doesn't know much about football, he should stick to baseball.

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 01:12 PM
He says "I think they offered the mimimum or a little more". That is speculation. We really don't know what they are discussing. This chicken little stuff just gets old. Justice doesn't know much about football, he should stick to baseball.

Again, Vinny, its not Justice who says how much, its McClain. In any event folks go list to the Justice and McClain show on the Texans offensive line and listen for yourself. Vinny my statements are not made up and correct as stated. Is this the gosspel? No, but I think you mistakenly thought I made up these facts and I did not.

Vinny
06-01-2005, 01:17 PM
I heard it Ibar. He is doing what is commonly referred to as 'speculating'....either way its not a big deal. I just want real facts portrayed as real facts for the other fans, and speculation portrayed as speculation.

dalemurphy
06-01-2005, 01:47 PM
Again, Vinny, its not Justice who says how much, its McClain. In any event folks go list to the Justice and McClain show on the Texans offensive line and listen for yourself. Vinny my statements are not made up and correct as stated. Is this the gosspel? No, but I think you mistakenly thought I made up these facts and I did not.

Ibar, if it's "speculation" than it is not "fact"- that's the point. Vinny wasn't calling you a liar. He was saying that you were misrepresenting conjecture as something much more than that.

The fact that McClain commented that he thinks the Texans probably made a contract offer of a certain amount is not evidence that it did happen and happened the way he says. It's just an hypothesis of his that will or will not be proven over time. So, it would be premature to react to this conjecture as if it is what happened.

THEFUTURE
06-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Ibar, if it's "speculation" than it is not "fact"- that's the point. Vinny wasn't calling you a liar. He was saying that you were misrepresenting conjecture as something much more than that.

The fact that McClain commented that he thinks the Texans probably made a contract offer of a certain amount is not evidence that it did happen and happened the way he says. It's just an hypothesis of his that will or will not be proven over time. So, it would be premature to react to this conjecture as if it is what happened.
what he said

U4ikrob
06-01-2005, 02:01 PM
McClain's comments were basically specaultion, but mixed with some facts. McClain obviously has inside contacts and didnt have the figures in front of him, but he commented that at first.

here is a little summary of some comments

"The Texans were not interested in Shelton because his agent Eric Mentz wanted too much money. And then they offered the minimum or maybe a little more and Shelton came in."

"He will get a job somewhere in the NFL because LT are needed. The Texans are not going to spend a lot of money on a guy they are not sure will be starting"

Thats what McClain said - no figures.

I posted the link to the radio show a few pages back for those interested.

dalemurphy
06-01-2005, 02:18 PM
"...And then they offered the minimum and maybe a little more ."

what exactly would be "a little more"... Well, according to McClain "a little more" will be whatever he gets signed to, if it happens. Of course there aren't any numbers, if there were then it would be harder for McClain to assure himself the ability to say "I told you so".

SESupergenius
06-01-2005, 03:59 PM
This is just another bandage to our offensive line. Pitts and Wand? Really, can anyone expect them to be better than average? Here we are trying to bring in a LT with 2 months to go before training camp, that IS alarming. This isn't just for depth, this is to fix a broken leak. Who said Boselli is still not affecting us?

wrestler4life
06-01-2005, 04:24 PM
How is it that there are no quality Tackles that are not on teams in the NFL right now. I know that the play overseas, but it is ridiculous that we are having this much difficulty fielding a starting unit.

El Tejano
06-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Who said Boselli is still not affecting us?
No Not The B word!!!!!!! :crying: :bomb:

dalemurphy
06-01-2005, 04:38 PM
How is it that there are no quality Tackles that are not on teams in the NFL right now. I know that the play overseas, but it is ridiculous that we are having this much difficulty fielding a starting unit.

Difficulty? We have a starting unit: Wand, Pitts, McKinney, Weigert, Wade... Stop condemning the organizations for attempting to upgrade the position, either with potential starters or depth... That's what we want them to do....

If you want to complain about the OL then complain about Weary and MBrown... when they are filling in is when the OL looks so bad: Cleveland!!

Wand is 24 and Pitts is 25? and they both have 1 year experience at their positions. The pessismism on this board is amazing, especially considering the team has improved every season as is the youngest team in the NFL going into season #4.

wrestler4life
06-01-2005, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=dalemurphy]Difficulty? We have a starting unit: Wand, Pitts, McKinney, Weigert, Wade... Stop condemning the organizations for attempting to upgrade the position, either with potential starters or depth... That's what we want them to do....

Sorry, I meant "quality" starting unit.

ojthecat
06-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Who said Boselli is still not affecting us?

The fact is Boselli never affected us. Casserly and Capers knew very well that he might never play. We had a deal worked out with Jacksonville that if we took Boselli then we could also take Walker and Payne.

Texans Pride
06-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey, I have an idea. . . How about that unless anyone has any NEW news about signing this guy, we don't post here. Every time I see a new post I get all excited thinking there is something new. . . Only to find out there is no news....I'm going crazy over here :hairpull: :hairpull:

I'm just giving everyone a hard time here...Relax, please don't feel the need to flash on me lol

Vinny
06-01-2005, 07:01 PM
Speaking of Cleveland, I just heard Shelton (or his agent) is there tonight (790am again). I don't know what was accomplished here yesterday if anything.

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Speaking of Cleveland, I just heard Shelton (or his agent) is there tonight (790am again). I don't know what was accomplished here yesterday if anything.

Thanks, Vinny. It will be interesting to see what transpires. This is getting to be a real game.

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
As an added note, could this be speculation on 790 AM's part.

TexansTrueFan
06-01-2005, 07:36 PM
from the looks of things he wont be with us next season. I mean if its gonna happen i think it woulda happened already.

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 07:40 PM
from the looks of things he wont be with us next season. I mean if its gonna happen i think it woulda happened already.

May be the're trying to see who blinks 1st. It might go either way, but again if our offer is at the minimum levels as stated that could be the problem. But that could be because of the way the Texans feel about him. It looks like he wants money and we aren't willing to part with what he wants. So be it.....

Vinny
06-01-2005, 07:40 PM
As an added note, could this be speculation on 790 AM's part.Actually, they reported that as a fact. This stuff is not as hard as it looks Ibar. :)

Ibar_Harry
06-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Actually, they reported that as a fact. This stuff is not as hard as it looks Ibar. :)

That was a little tongue in cheek, Vinny. Take it easy, we just disagree a lot. We both want the same we just differ on how we are going to get there. I don't think not getting Shelton bothers you and I'm not so certain it bothers me. Perhaps this is not the right guy.......

TexansTrueFan
06-01-2005, 07:49 PM
May be the're trying to see who blinks 1st. It might go either way, but again if our offer is at the minimum levels as stated that could be the problem. But that could be because of the way the Texans feel about him. It looks like he wants money and we aren't willing to part with what he wants. So be it.....

yah well i'll live if we dont get him, plus i feel the coaches want the same guys on the line this year that they had last year, otherwise we woulda heard about it.

texan279
06-01-2005, 07:50 PM
yah well i'll live if we dont get him, plus i feel the coaches want the same guys on the line this year that they had last year, otherwise we woulda heard about it.

I doubt if they wanted the same guys on the line they would have gone after Pace and now Shelton...

TexansTrueFan
06-01-2005, 07:58 PM
if they had really wanted pace they coulda made an offer he woulda taken, its not like at the time we were in any kinda cap trouble. It was an opportunity to get a good guy they took it and lost, i wouldnt pass on any kinda all star player either, no matter who i had at the postioion already.

Texan Dave
06-01-2005, 08:36 PM
if they had really wanted pace they coulda made an offer he woulda taken, its not like at the time we were in any kinda cap trouble. It was an opportunity to get a good guy they took it and lost, i wouldnt pass on any kinda all star player either, no matter who i had at the postioion already.

Yeah, when you bring up going after Pace, you're talking about going after a possible future hall of famer, you don't get a chance to go after someone like that every season. That would be like saying that we we're looking to replace Dominic Davis if we tried to sign Tomlinson had he become a franchise player.

ArlingtonTexan
06-01-2005, 08:40 PM

Actually, the Rams could have matched any offer the Texans made. Also, by signing Pace to an offer sheet the Texans would have been committing two first round draft picks and ton of money. Not very much was in the Texans corner. While not in the Beltran/Astros mold, Pace used the Texans a bit to get a long-term contract from the Rams.

SESupergenius
06-02-2005, 12:55 AM
The fact is Boselli never affected us. Casserly and Capers knew very well that he might never play. We had a deal worked out with Jacksonville that if we took Boselli then we could also take Walker and Payne.wow man, you gotta open your eyes a bit. :bag:

TEXANS84
06-02-2005, 01:11 AM
While not in the Beltran/Astros mold, Pace used the Texans a bit to get a long-term contract from the Rams.

Drew Rosenhaus = Scott Boras

But in that case it was Carl Poston (Pace's agent) playing the bad guy.

edo783
06-02-2005, 08:21 AM
According to Houston channel 2 news at ten last night, Shelton and agent are now in Cleveland and we are miles apart on on the money they want. Stay tuned.

OzzO
06-02-2005, 08:33 AM
latest found...

Browns | To Join Shelton Race - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:21:21 -0700

Brad Biggs, of the Chicago Sun-Times, reports the Cleveland Browns have entered the mix of teams that are interested in signing free agent OT L.J. Shelton (Cardinals). With veteran OT Ross Verba threatening to sit out the season, Shelton potentially could step into a starting position.

and yet...
Browns | Boulware Visiting Today - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 05:35:12 -0700

Updating a previous report, the Plain Dealer reports free agent LB Peter Boulware (Ravens) is expected take a physical examination and visit with Cleveland Browns coaches Thursday, June 2. If the Browns like what they see medically and athletically from Boulware, they better act fast because he is scheduled to go to Seattle next. The Seattle Seahawks are seen by some as the favorites to land Boulware, partially because his younger brother, Michael, is the team's starting strong safety. "I was told the opportunity for him and Michael to play together was going to be a factor [in his decision]," Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Wednesday, June 1. "They've never been able to play together."

edo783
06-02-2005, 11:54 AM
Can the Browns afford to sign both? If not, which do they pick if both available?

TEXANS84
06-02-2005, 11:59 AM
They need more help on the defensive side of the ball. Last year they gave up the most rushing touchdowns in the leauge.

HardKnockTexan
06-02-2005, 12:00 PM
edo783: Can the Browns afford to sign both? If not, which do they pick if both available?

I believe the Browns are switching to the 3-4 defense. If that's the case I'd think that they'd be more agressive with the signing of Boulware. The Browns are bad all over the place though and definentally could use the help at OT... so who really knows?????

wrestler4life
06-02-2005, 12:01 PM
I would rather us not overpay for a guy. If he was not worth what they wanted, the good riddance. Our staff is going to have to work harder to get the job done with what we have.

Ibar_Harry
06-02-2005, 01:21 PM
May be we can trade the Browns Shelton for Verba. A little tongue in cheek, but who knows the way this year has gone.

OzzO
06-03-2005, 08:34 AM
The guys on 610 are thinking Boulware ends up a Brown and Shelton ends up a Chief. Concerning Shelton, most likely the Texans just offered a one year deal (with next year's draft coming up with good prospects apparently) and the Shelton camp is looking for a multi-year deal or some major $$ for one year.

... and yes, this is just their point of view, not necessarily "official".

TEXANS84
06-03-2005, 09:26 AM
-- Shelton Impresses Browns --
Fri Jun 3, 2005 --from FFMastermind.com

The Beacon Journal reports Browns GM Phil Savage said during his presentation that former Arizona OT L.J. Shelton visited on Wednesday and was ``fairly impressive.''

TEXANS84
06-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Here is an interesting thing I came across:

Lets compare the Left Tackle stats of LT Shelton vs. Seth Wand and 2003 Left Tackle Chester Pitts.

LJ Shelton Stats (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?id=4670&Submit=Go)

Despite his poor 2002 showing with 9.25 sacks allowed, his overall season average is 5 sacks per season. His false start penalties are at a minimum.

Seth Wand Stats (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?id=6411&Submit=Go)

Although only 1 false start penalty, everything else gets washed out as he was credited with an alarming 12.5 sacks allowed!

Chester Pitts Stats (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?id=5936&Submit=Go)

Chester Pitts in 2003 as starting Left Tackle gave up only 5.75 sacks allowed, but had 8 false start penalties.

Now, compare all three to the "elite" Orlando Pace:
Orlando Pace Stats (http://snap.stats.com/snap/pfw/nfl/playerstats.asp?id=3951&Submit=Go)

Pace in his eight year career (although he started off poor) has an average of 5.47 sacks allowed per season. Last year's false start penalties of 9 is somewhat alarming.

F-minus67
06-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Looking at those stats that TEXANS84 posted it also looks like Pitts has a holding problem when he plays tackle 5 in 2002 and 7 in 2003. While he had 3 last year and Wand had 2.

TEXANS84
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Wow...how did I overlook Pitts 2002 Left Tackle stats of 15 sacks allowed!

Now Wand looks like an all-pro.

dalemurphy
06-03-2005, 10:38 AM
Man, Wand's stats are quite impressive, IMO... 12.5 sacks is certainly a big number but only 1 false start and 2 holding penalties is AMAZING! If there is agreement that he has physical ability to play the position then I think with the kind of concentration and discipline that those stats illustrate, he's going to be a very good LT!

Furthermore, those stats support the argument that myself, Vinny, Lucky, and others have made in his defense. Wand wasn't often severely overmatched. Many of the sacks were a result, at least partially, of the interior line breaking down. I say that because holds happen when you've been beaten. False starts happen when you're overmatched and know it. Since neither happened with Wand it is evidence that he was rarely dominated.

infantrycak
06-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Wow...how did I overlook Pitts 2002 Left Tackle stats of 15 sacks allowed!

Now Wand looks like an all-pro.

That's the thing for all the let's give up on Wand after one season people--Pitts went from 15.5 sacks in 2002 to 5.75 in 2003 (but in the process trading away almost twice as many penalties). It is not unreasonable to expect or hope for similar improvement from Wand (who really has had no penalty problem so far) to something around 5-8 sacks this year. That is a liveable range of sacks from the LT position given up by all but the elite LT's in the league, especially considering his run blocking is already above average and should improve as well. The average number of sacks given up by the LT's of the playoff teams last year was 5 with a low of 0 by Walter Jones and a high of 11 by Bryant Mckinnie.

Runner
06-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Agreed. Wand isn't that bad and deserves the chance to prove himself this year, before being replaced or moved to guard.

El Tejano
06-03-2005, 11:58 AM
I think the holding penalties were pretty huge this year also. It wiped out a few TDs (Davis in NY) and it wiped out some potential scoring drives.

i don't think the signing of Shelton changes the way anyone views the talent level or potential Wand has. However what it does is give us more options and gives us a much quicker fix for this year and it allows Wand to mature into his position, and it creates competition. Basically what I am saying is that it gives us real good depth.

infantrycak
06-03-2005, 12:25 PM
I think the holding penalties were pretty huge this year also. It wiped out a few TDs (Davis in NY) and it wiped out some potential scoring drives.

While there were some key penalties last year, the Texans O made a big step forward on penalties from 2003 to 2004.

In 2003 the Texans were penalized 121 times on 896 plays or 13.5 % of plays and were 26th in the league in O penalties.

In 2004 the Texans were penalized 106 times on 1001 plays or 10.5 % of plays and were tied for 10th (with Indy) in the league in O penalties.

wrestler4life
06-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Can't be all that bad if we were tied with Indy's offense. Thanks for the stats.

dalemurphy
06-03-2005, 01:08 PM

i don't think the signing of Shelton changes the way anyone views the talent level or potential Wand has. However what it does is give us more options and gives us a much quicker fix for this year and it allows Wand to mature into his position, and it creates competition. Basically what I am saying is that it gives us real good depth.

Why are so few board members this rational?! El Tejano, I agree totally with that. It's been the same with the prospect of signing Boulware. Somehow, people see that as ruining Peek's potential and weakening the team somehow, or they see it as the team acknowledging that our current group at LB aren't any good.

F-minus67
06-03-2005, 03:08 PM
But in the case of Wand and other linemen the only way to get better is to have playing time and play with other linemen to help them gel. I mean besides Bosselli no rookie LT has come in to the league and dominate, like when he shut down Bruce Smith.

Lucky
06-03-2005, 04:35 PM
In 2004 the Texans were penalized 106 times on 1001 plays or 10.5 % of plays and were tied for 10th (with Indy) in the league in O penalties.
Is that offensive penalties or total penalties? How many defensive penalties for the Texans in '04? 6.6 penalties/game for the offense alone seems pretty steep to me.

infantrycak
06-03-2005, 04:51 PM
Is that offensive penalties or total penalties? How many defensive penalties for the Texans in '04? 6.6 penalties/game for the offense alone seems pretty steep to me.

That is offensive penalties only. On defense:

2003--96 penalties on 1054 plays or 9.1% of plays for 10th least penalized team.

2004--123 penalties on 971 plays or 12.7% of plays for 30th least penalized or 3rd most penalized.

In other words Capers had to be going nuts that the D was extending other teams' drives like crazy.

Lucky
06-03-2005, 05:04 PM
2004--123 penalties on 971 plays or 12.7% of plays for 30th least penalized or 3rd most penalized.
Huh? So the Texans committed 229 penalties (plus whatever they incurred on special teams) last year? That would be over 14 penalties per game! That doesn't sound right. Maybe the Texans committed 106 penalties & their oppostion committed 123 penalties?

infantrycak
06-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Huh? So the Texans committed 229 penalties (plus whatever they incurred on special teams) last year? That would be over 14 penalties per game! That doesn't sound right. Maybe the Texans committed 106 penalties & their oppostion committed 123 penalties?

You know that doesn't sound right. Looking through the 1st 4 game logs from last year they had 6-9 total penalties a game. The numbers above come from NFL.com's total offense and total defense stats. I'll check another source.

OK--your surmise is correct although the way they list them is misleading. On total O stats they list all of the penalties both O & D for a team and on total D stats they list all of the penalties for O & D by teams the Texans or whomever faced. Goofy but whatever. Oh well, disregard all the penalty stuff other than the Texans generally improved from 2003 to 2004 because I can't find a split between the two.

Overall the Texans did improve on penalties last year:

2003--121 penalties on 1950 total O&D plays for 6.2%
2004--106 penalties on 1972 total O&D plays for 5.4%

Lucky
06-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Oh well, disregard all the penalty stuff other than the Texans generally improved from 2003 to 2004 because I can't find a split between the two.
I can't find a split. either. I'll go through the games & break down the penalities at some point this offseason. But, I think your original point was correct...the offense had fewer penalties than previous seasons. Defense & special teams? The same or worse, I'm betting.

Texans Pride
06-03-2005, 06:32 PM
I am paraphrasing here. . .NOT QUOTING, but Adam Sheftfield (sp) was reporting on NFL Total Access, that a few offers have been made, but none greater than the Cleveland Browns offer. He also stated that a decision should be made by this weekend.

TexansRockMySocks
06-03-2005, 06:33 PM
i think we have lost him to the Browns

Texans Pride
06-03-2005, 06:36 PM
I hope not, but if we don't get him it's only because we saw something we didn't like and didn't want to pay him the money he was asking for.

TexansRockMySocks
06-03-2005, 06:39 PM
because as reported the Browns have the biggest offer on the table, and on the news they were talking about how we were far apart on the money. Also his agent and him were down in Houston twice but left without anything forming, and I think they are in Cleveland to this point.

edo783
06-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Shelton WOULD be good to bring in as he would represent an immediate level of expertise at LT that would place him at about # 16-20 of the 32 starting LTs. Certainly an improvement. However, that is about were he would remain IMO. Wand currently, IMO, would rank at about #26-32. However, I think he has the potential to get to ~11-14. Not elite status, but very solid. Shelton would help right away, but Wand seems to be good for the long term. Would be great to have both and gain the depth.

TexansTrueFan
06-03-2005, 07:16 PM
more money or win,,,,,decesions, very tough lol. us WIN them LOSE....

YodAa
06-03-2005, 07:19 PM
So have we signed him yet?

TexansTrueFan
06-03-2005, 07:20 PM
no and prolly never will

YodAa
06-03-2005, 07:25 PM
why not?

ArlingtonTexan
06-03-2005, 07:30 PM
because as reported the Browns have the biggest offer on the table, and on the news they were talking about how we were far apart on the money. Also his agent and him were down in Houston twice but left without anything forming, and I think they are in Cleveland to this point.

Where was this reported?

vtech9
06-03-2005, 07:33 PM
Where was this reported?
for one, on NFL Network's NFL Total Access

TexansRockMySocks
06-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Where was this reported?

and alot of the nightly local news. (KHOU,ABC13,NEWS2HOUSTON)

ArlingtonTexan
06-03-2005, 07:42 PM
and alot of the nightly local news. (KHOU,ABC13,NEWS2HOUSTON)

thank you.

texansfan1974
06-04-2005, 06:49 AM
Shelton agrees to terms with browns.