PDA

View Full Version : DeMeco Impresses & Leads in his first Eagles Game (What's new ?)

IDEXAN
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
“I thought he made big play after big play,” said Andy Reid. “That’s what he is; that’s what he’s done throughout his career.”
“He’s a baller,” said rookie linebacker Mychal Kendricks. “Took command of the field. Made sure we were cool, calm and collected in tough times. He made a helluva lot of plays today, and I’m happy he’s on my team.”
Ryans, who has been questioned about his health and his game countless times over the last several months, did not want to focus on himself afterwards. But when it came to team ball, his eyes lit up. Though against a rookie quarterback and a Browns team that is sure to struggle all year, there’s no denying that the defense saved this team from an embarrassing loss. And when they were called on to protect the lead late, they closed.
“I love when the game is in the defense’s hands, when it’s on us to close a game out. That’s why I play this game,” said Ryans. “There is no more special feeling than being out there and having all your teammates on the sideline counting on our 11 to get it done.”

Eleven. The front. The back. And for the first time in a long time, the middle.
http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012/09/09/demeco-ryans-catches-teammates-attention-in-eagles-debut/
One of my all-time Texans favorites, glad he's off to a solid start in Philly.

silvrhand
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Still think we are going to miss him, and even more with sharpton being out, James doesn't look like the quality ILB we need.

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
Congrats and good luck to Demeco, one of the good guys. :clap:

Premier
09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
theyre restricting demeco to 2 downs over there too..

Vinny
09-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Still think we are going to miss him, and even more with sharpton being out, James doesn't look like the quality ILB we need.I think so too...but was never a Sharpton fan. Cushing is going to miss DeMeco beside him more than anyone. He cleaned up a lot of stuff with teams making sure they block up Ryans.

theyre restricting demeco to 2 downs over there too.. DeMeco played in 60 of 62 defensive snaps (http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-talk/Playing-time-Ryans-ends-up-a-three-down-?blockID=770757&feedID=692)....doesn't sound like a two-down linebacker to me. Don't pay too much attention to the preseason. ;)

Double Barrel
09-10-2012, 02:03 PM
I agree about missing Ryans here, but I will certainly be rooting for him with Philly. We lost some valuable players, but he's the one that I really hate losing.

kiwitexansfan
09-10-2012, 06:10 PM
glad he's playing well, one of my fave all time Texans.

utahmark
09-10-2012, 06:16 PM
glad he's playing well, one of my fave all time Texans.

My only Texans jersey has his name on the back. I'll be wearing it battle red day against baltimore in remembrance.(also cause I'm to cheap to buy a new one)

TEXANRED
09-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Still think we are going to miss him, and even more with sharpton being out, James doesn't look like the quality ILB we need.

James is a scrub. Looked like one in preseason and looked like one yesterday.

Naiirb
09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I miss DeMeco but really glad he is making an impact over there. Still remember listening to the radio after drafting him in the 2nd round and hearing this guy will be a stud. Guy is all class too.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Look, if Demeco hadn't defered the ball after winning the pregame coin toss(twice I believe) he'd be a Texans today.

We can't have that kind of insubordination on this team. Can't coach them, Can't win with them, Can't do it.....

:sarcasm: :kitten:

TexansLucky13
09-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I wish him nothing but luck. If he was in the AFC I might feel differently though.....

Texecutioner
09-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I told people that Philly was going to be a great team for him to go to. I was very happy that he was traded there of all places. They needed a MLB, and they got one hell of a guy at that position. Good to see Demeco doing big things over there.

Cjeremy635
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
I agree about missing Ryans here, but I will certainly be rooting for him with Philly. We lost some valuable players, but he's the one that I really hate losing.

This.

Premier
09-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I think so too...but was never a Sharpton fan. Cushing is going to miss DeMeco beside him more than anyone. He cleaned up a lot of stuff with teams making sure they block up Ryans.

DeMeco played in 60 of 62 defensive snaps (http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/eagles-talk/Playing-time-Ryans-ends-up-a-three-down-?blockID=770757&feedID=692)....doesn't sound like a two-down linebacker to me. Don't pay too much attention to the preseason. ;)

i wa sjust going by what andy reid said, stating he had demeco out of nickel situations only playing 2 downs... apparently he changed his mind..

i have a buddy in philly who said the media has been trashing demeco.. i guess his preseason wasn't too hot.. i dont watch the eagles.. so i dont know..

texanhead08
09-11-2012, 01:19 AM
8 million a year is a lot to pay for a 2 down LB. That's why the Texans couldn't afford to keep him.

Texn4life
09-11-2012, 01:24 AM
8 million a year is a lot to pay for a 2 down LB. That's why the Texans couldn't afford to keep him.

Unless the Browns were punting the ball or turning it over on the 1st two downs every possession then I would say he wasn't a 2 down LB week 1. He played 60 of 62 defensive snaps. I think it may change when they play teams with more elite weapons at the skill positions but it sounds like he had a good showing. I saw him in the preseason and wasn't impressed, but I'm glad he had a positive debut.

Wolf6151
09-11-2012, 04:23 AM
I miss Demeco but the money just didn't make sense for a 2 down ILB. I wish him all the best with Philly unless we meet them in the Superbowl.

thunderkyss
09-11-2012, 01:02 PM
It's just plain silly for anyone, especially a Houston Texans fan, to call Demeco Ryans a 2 down LB. Yeah, we took him off the field a lot last season. But most fans know he suffered a season ending achilles injury the year before.

CnD will tell you it takes a while to come back from an Achilles, most people don't. Demeco's recovery was hampered by his elbow issue. But at the end of the season you could tell Demeco was closer to pre-injury form than not.

Demeco is not a 2 down line backer.

Rey
09-11-2012, 01:11 PM
It's just plain silly for anyone, especially a Houston Texans fan, to call Demeco Ryans a 2 down LB. Yeah, we took him off the field a lot last season. But most fans know he suffered a season ending achilles injury the year before.

CnD will tell you it takes a while to come back from an Achilles, most people don't. Demeco's recovery was hampered by his elbow issue. But at the end of the season you could tell Demeco was closer to pre-injury form than not.

Demeco is not a 2 down line backer.

For us, he was.

infantrycak
09-11-2012, 02:42 PM
For us, he was.

For one season and you would have to be blind to not see the huge limitation on his arm due to that brace. Of course he was going to be limited in coverage with that thing on. Ed Reed would be limited in coverage with that on.

Rey
09-11-2012, 02:48 PM
For one season and you would have to be blind to not see the huge limitation on his arm due to that brace. Of course he was going to be limited in coverage with that thing on. Ed Reed would be limited in coverage with that on.

So are you saying that Demeco was good in coverage before the brace?

Demeco was never a good coverage LB....Especially after he put on some weight after his rookie year.

Brace or not, Demeco was not going to be playing a 3-down role with us and I kept saying that all last year and through the off-season. In nickel situations Glover is going to come down as the second LB and we will bring in another safety. Demeco or no Demco.

ensign_lee
09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
I miss Demeco... :'(

Rey
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
I miss Demeco... :'(

Is that a tear or a booger?

thunderkyss
09-11-2012, 11:01 PM
For us, he was.

He might not have played on 3rd & long, but 3rd & 6 or less, Demeco would be on the field.

I like to think of him more as odd man out, which he was more than a 2 down LB.

Rey
09-12-2012, 12:05 AM
He might not have played on 3rd & long, but 3rd & 6 or less, Demeco would be on the field.

I like to think of him more as odd man out, which he was more than a 2 down LB.

I believe he played about 60% of the defensive snaps. That's the definition of a two down lb.

And he was not in on third and 6 all that often.

If you remember there were games where he barely played because of the formations the other team ran most of the game.

We were in a third and about 5 I think last game and wade moved gq down to lb. The phins ended up running the ball, but gq played it like a lb and ended up making the tackle. That's a part of our defense. Unless we get a lb that can cover and make plays like a safety I dont think that's going to change much. When we go to the nickel look gq comes down and we bring in an extra safety. That's pretty much a staple at this point.

Also, Demeco said that he saw the writing on the wall. He said he wasn't playing as much and didn't see the field nearly as much as he had been. Demeco was traded because he wasn't on the field enough to produce at the level which his salary indicated he should have been.

He was a better player than bradie james has looked like. He did well when he was in there, but the snaps just werent there c

Rey
09-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Also, when someone says 2 down player or he didn't play on third downs, don't take it literally.

It depends on the formation.

Some games he played less or barely at all, and some games he played a whole lot.

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Also, when someone says 2 down player or he didn't play on third downs, don't take it literally.

It depends on the formation.

Some games he played less or barely at all, and some games he played a whole lot.

First of all, I get it when you say 2 down player, I was playing with the words..... which is why I added "odd man out"

That's why he isn't here, not because he is a 2 down player. Wade needs a 2 down player for his system & Demeco isn't a 2 down player. Actually Wade needs a LB that's better in coverage than Cushing or Demeco (or any of our current LBs) were. Cushing & Demeco are the same player. Cushing is better, I'm not saying different, but they're the same player. Wade didn't need two of them.

If he were, they'd have asked/expected him to take a pay cut like Walter who didn't earn his pay last season.

As far as Demeco not being in on a lot of plays, had more to do with his injuries (plural) than his ability to play the game at a high level. They would put Sharpton in there instead of Demeco & I doubt it was because they thought Sharpton was a better player.

Anyone... & I mean anyone who thinks Demeco is a 2 down player just doesn't know a good player when they see one.

2 down player in our system, yeah. But that has more to do with the system, than the player.. ergo he is not & never was a 2 down player.

HOU-TEX
09-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Truth! I know it's only one game, but it looked as if our run D definitely missed him already. Looking through Bullpen's photos verifies that James is irrelevant and is taken out of the play too easily.

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 11:19 AM
Truth! I know it's only one game, but it looked as if our run D definitely missed him already. Looking through Bullpen's photos verifies that James is irrelevant and is taken out of the play too easily.

Couple of things that made me feel "good" with Sunday's defense, I had heard Antonio (I think it was) comenting that there was no film on the Dolphins with Philbin/Sherman/Tannehill..... so they had no idea what to expect. But they got it figured out & I think it was before halftime & put a stop to that tomfoolery.

We play the Jags next week. We've got a lot of film on them & we've got a lot of experience against them. If they start off slow, we'll know that excuse won't hold water.

eriadoc
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Demeco Ryans is not a two-down LB. The fact that he was being used as one had everything to do with his injury. He's every bit as good in coverage as any of the other LBs the Texans have (which is to say, not great). He got injured with something that takes a while to come back from and the team moved on. It happens.

HOU-TEX
09-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Couple of things that made me feel "good" with Sunday's defense, I had heard Antonio (I think it was) comenting that there was no film on the Dolphins with Philbin/Sherman/Tannehill..... so they had no idea what to expect. But they got it figured out & I think it was before halftime & put a stop to that tomfoolery.

We play the Jags next week. We've got a lot of film on them & we've got a lot of experience against them. If they start off slow, we'll know that excuse won't hold water.

The Jags have a new coach and OC, so we don't have a lot of film on their offense. Unless, of course, you think a game's worth of film is a lot

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 12:44 PM
The Jags have a new coach and OC, so we don't have a lot of film on their offense. Unless, of course, you think a game's worth of film is a lot

Nah..... forgot they got a new coach & OC.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2012, 01:31 PM

New coach or not, MJD will be there and we know what they'll do with him, no?

JPPT1974
09-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Well seems like he will be going to Hawaii if he keeps it up that way!

Dutchrudder
09-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Yeah, but the Eagles are only paying him about 4.6 million this year. All of his signing bonus and restructure money is still on the Texans' payroll. Next year his salary goes up to 6.6 million, then 6.8 for the last two years. I imagine he will be cut in two or three years, but the Eagles won't owe him any guaranteed money. Not a bad deal for them.

Rey
09-12-2012, 02:08 PM
2 down player in our system, yeah. But that has more to do with the system, than the player.. ergo he is not & never was a 2 down player

Not sure what you are arguing.

I made it very clear that he was a two down player for us....which is the only thing that matters when we are talking about his value to US and why WE traded him.

For US, he was a two down player and therefore was no longer worth what he was being paid.

HOU-TEX
09-12-2012, 02:24 PM
New coach or not, MJD will be there and we know what they'll do with him, no?

Yup! Considering our 1st quarter last week...I reckon he'll be running a lot. I think Mularky has been know to run the ball a lot. I expect a huge dose of MJD, especially with Jennings out

Rey
09-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Demeco Ryans is not a two-down LB. The fact that he was being used as one had everything to do with his injury. He's every bit as good in coverage as any of the other LBs the Texans have (which is to say, not great). He got injured with something that takes a while to come back from and the team moved on. It happens.

Demeco is not as good in coverage as Cushing is and never has been. And after his rookie season Demeco started putting on weight and he was not as quick. I'm no doctor, but I think it was that extra weight that played a part in him blowing his Achilles.

And I disagree that his injury had anything to do with how he was being used. Towards the end of the season Demeco was in excellent form. He was a big part of why our Run defense improved.

GQ plays the other nickel LB because of the versatility he provides there. That's not a knock on Demeco, but that's what Wade does with this defense.

Playmaker
09-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Looks like we're drafting an inside LB high next draft, Bradie James ain't cutting it and Sharpton may not be the same after the injuries. I still would like to see Cushing as an outside LB edge rusher, but I guess Wade Phillips doesn't.

gtexan02
09-12-2012, 11:35 PM
In passing downs, we go to 5 or 6 DBs most often. With our 4 lineman, that leaves us 1 or 2 LBs. Cushing is not coming out. He replaced Demeco unfortunately

Texan_Bill
09-13-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm tired of the "He's a two down linebacker" bullsh!te!!! He's an everydown linebacker in the right scheme. In a 4-3, I would have 'Meco in all of those plays!!

For SURE!!

Now, Let's talk about the Texans 3-4 on obvious passing plays (the ignorant "misnomer") of 'Meco being a 2 down backer.........

He was never a "2 down backer"......

It simply came down to him comming off the field in those OBVIOUS PASSING Situations versus the money he was making.

Simply said, 'Meco is a true Middle Linebacker, not an inside LB (3-4)... There is a difference. He'll probably excell in the Eagles 4-3!!!

For a change, I actually wish D'Meco well! Than again if we face the Eagles in the Super Bowl, I would hope that we kick De'Meco's ASS!!!

Texan_Bill
09-13-2012, 12:12 AM
What I'm trying to say is this: De'Meco Ryans is an old-school middle linebacker (which is really cool), NOT necessarily an inside linebacker in the 3-4.....

Just sayin'

eriadoc
09-13-2012, 01:30 AM
Demeco is not as good in coverage as Cushing is and never has been.

I love Cushing as much as the next guy, but Cushing is not good in coverage. Hell, this Sunday's game was sort of a showcase for it, to be honest.

As for the rest, I just am not buying what you're selling. The team decided Ryans was not a strong fit for what they want to do; fine. I'm OK with that. But he never had a chance when healthy to prove that one way or another. C'est la vie.

rush2112mn
09-13-2012, 05:12 AM
My only Texans jersey has his name on the back. I'll be wearing it battle red day against baltimore in remembrance.(also cause I'm to cheap to buy a new one)

I have a liberty white authentic Demeco jersey.....and I am never taking those letters off the back and putting on Mercilious.......never.....

thunderkyss
09-13-2012, 08:43 AM
I love Cushing as much as the next guy, but Cushing is not good in coverage. Hell, this Sunday's game was sort of a showcase for it, to be honest.

As for the rest, I just am not buying what you're selling. The team decided Ryans was not a strong fit for what they want to do; fine. I'm OK with that. But he never had a chance when healthy to prove that one way or another. C'est la vie.

IF you had to choose one LB to be on the field, Demeco or Cushing, who would you chose? They both have their strengths & weaknesses, Cushing is faster & stronger & a little more fluid (in the hips), Demeco is smarter, quicker to diagnose & react.

I don't think you could go wrong picking either one, but Wade clearly chose Cushing & I probably would as well.

But we've seen Cushing moved to Mo from 4-3 SAM, then to Mike, now back to Mo/Mike depending on personnel. So you've got to ask yourself, what's going on there.

eriadoc
09-13-2012, 10:57 AM
IF you had to choose one LB to be on the field, Demeco or Cushing, who would you chose? They both have their strengths & weaknesses, Cushing is faster & stronger & a little more fluid (in the hips), Demeco is smarter, quicker to diagnose & react.

I don't think you could go wrong picking either one, but Wade clearly chose Cushing & I probably would as well.

But we've seen Cushing moved to Mo from 4-3 SAM, then to Mike, now back to Mo/Mike depending on personnel. So you've got to ask yourself, what's going on there.

Personally, I think Ryans is a better true MLB and Cushing is better when he's free to roam and make plays. I'm not yet sure how that translates to Wade's system because of the moves you mention. So I don't have an issue with them going to Cushing, and wouldn't have had an issue if they had stayed with Ryans. They made a decision and that's cool. The notion that Ryans is a 2-down LB is just silly, though. He got injured, took a while to recover, and they worked him back in. By the time he started to really hit his stride, they had already pretty much moved on to Cushing. Again, that's cool.

But Philly got a helluva LB. It's the NFL; it happens.

Vinny
09-13-2012, 11:21 AM

As for the rest, I just am not buying what you're selling. The team decided Ryans was not a strong fit for what they want to do; fine. I'm OK with that. But he never had a chance when healthy to prove that one way or another. C'est la vie.I agree with this. I think we overrate Cushing (collectively) as a fanbase a bit too. He misses more tackles and takes poorer angles than DeMeco does.

Goldensilence
09-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Looks like we're drafting an inside LB high next draft, Bradie James ain't cutting it and Sharpton may not be the same after the injuries. I still would like to see Cushing as an outside LB edge rusher, but I guess Wade Phillips doesn't.

Agree on likely taking a ILB high next draft. I think Cushing is probably a bit too big and not fast enough to be an edge rusher, better fit as an ILB in this system, though it would be nice to have a ILB opposite who could allow Cushing a bit more freedom to roam and make plays like other suggest.

Far as the 2 down LBer...I don't think anyone who is using the term in reference to Ryans last year means overall as a player he is "just a 2 LBer". I think with the injury and with some tough cap decisions as another poster succinctly put it, he was the odd man out last year.

I think Cushing would've gotten more in return via trade, but really the team was looking for cap relief and the less banged up of the two. It wasn't an easy choice likely, but probably the right one given Ryans is probably better suited for a 4-3 and landed ona team that traditionally vies for a playoff spot every year. Though this year NFC East could be the toughest in the NFL.

GP
09-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Ryans didn't disrespect Houston when he left. For that, I will always root for him and wish him nothing but great things.

The other turd heads like Carr, Dunta, and Mario...piss on them. Literally. You can't draw that level of paycheck, get the amount of fanfare you received (the "love" you say you desire from fans) and then **** all over our franchise when you leave it. Obviously money doesn't buy some of those players the honor they should have when leaving the Texans.

DeMeco Ryans will be a Texans LB coach one day. This I am sure of.

False Start
09-13-2012, 06:27 PM

Yep. He is a guy that I will always admire. From his leadership, his personality, and his play on the field. He is a good dude.

Naiirb
09-20-2012, 12:21 AM
**Warning do not watch this if you don't want to miss DeMeco**

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap1000000064114/Sound-FX-DeMeco-Ryans

gtexan02
09-20-2012, 12:29 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/0ap1000000064114/Sound-FX-DeMeco-Ryans

Wow. We have the #1 defense in the NFL and I miss him

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2012, 12:42 AM
He's still the man.

Texn4life
09-20-2012, 03:38 AM
I'll always respect DeMeco..... I watched Inside the NFL tonight and I was very impressed with the way he was moving around. Its crazy how many former Texans performed well in that game. Leach with a TD, Pollard with a pick, Jacoby with what should have been 2 TDs, and DeMeco with a sack and a pick in addition to his other tackles. Crazy stuff.

eriadoc
09-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Wow. We have the #1 defense in the NFL and I miss him

I really would have liked to see a healthy Demeco playing behind JJ Watt beside Cushing. Anyone that thinks we couldn't use a guy like that on the team is sorely mistaken.

Rey
09-20-2012, 08:20 AM

For a MLB cushing is good in coverage. He never leaves the field and the texans have one of the top passing defenses since wade has gotten here. That should tell you something as the MLB is an integral part of defending the pass and it's not like he's rushing the qb every passing down.

I stand by my point. Cushing is better in coverage than Demeco has ever been.

Rey
09-20-2012, 08:26 AM
I really would have liked to see a healthy Demeco playing behind JJ Watt beside Cushing. Anyone that thinks we couldn't use a guy like that on the team is sorely mistaken.

Demeco was no longer an everydown player for us. Healthy or not.

You don't have to buy that, but Demeco himself aknowledged it. He said he saw the writing on the wall when asked about his trade. He was making too much money for his role.

He is a much better player than bradie James, but much more expensive as well.

I don't believe anyone thinks we couldn't use a guy like Demeco. Pretty sure most people think we could use a guy like Calvin Johnson, clay Matthews and haloti ngata too.

But we can't afford those guys. And we definitely couldn't afford a guy that was no longer an everydown player for us nor a special teams guy.

Vinny
09-20-2012, 09:17 AM
I really would have liked to see a healthy Demeco playing behind JJ Watt beside Cushing. Anyone that thinks we couldn't use a guy like that on the team is sorely mistaken. I fully agree. Last year fans were acting like Ryans couldn't play anymore and it had nothing to do with his injury...I think they are seeing different now...except for the guys clinging to their poor arguments.

For a MLB cushing is good in coverage. He never leaves the field and the texans have one of the top passing defenses since wade has gotten here. That should tell you something as the MLB is an integral part of defending the pass and it's not like he's rushing the qb every passing down.

I stand by my point. Cushing is better in coverage than Demeco has ever been.Speaking of poor arguments...Cushing is ok in coverage...nothing special. DeMeco and him are very similar (middle of the road) when it comes to coverage...the difference was that DeMeco was hurt the last two years. Ryans is still a hell of a downhill linebacker.

HOU-TEX
09-20-2012, 11:08 AM
I've missed him ever since hearing we traded him. After 2 games of watching James get run off my TV screen during run plays.....I now sorely miss him.

He was/is one of my favorite players. He (and the Bama defense at the time) was the reason I started watching the SEC a lot more than the Big 12. I love me some defense and once I saw a game of theirs I was hooked

welsh texan
09-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Don't think there was anybody round here claiming it wasn't a hard decision to move on without DeMeco, I saw a camp where people thought it was the best move long-term for the franchise and a camp where people thought we should have found a way to afford him.

Not sure we'd have Schaub signed up had it not been for DeMeco, also think we'd be losing our LT at the end of this season if we'd kept him around.

Its good to see him doing well but I can't help but feel a good part of that is that he's the man in the middle in a 4-3 again that makes him and his skill-set far more valuable to that D than it is to ours.

Norg
09-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Demco was not taking 100% no way u pay him 100% of the money at his age if hes not taking snaps for the front office iDK i was that hard of a decesion

what sucks is we lost Sharpton so right now our ILB depth is prob one of the worst parts of our team

i expect a ILB in the draft or F/a next year

i think we will build our team like pittsburg and having all studs at linebacker

HJam72
09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Don't think there was anybody round here claiming it wasn't a hard decision to move on without DeMeco, I saw a camp where people thought it was the best move long-term for the franchise and a camp where people thought we should have found a way to afford him.

Not sure we'd have Schaub signed up had it not been for DeMeco, also think we'd be losing our LT at the end of this season if we'd kept him around.

Its good to see him doing well but I can't help but feel a good part of that is that he's the man in the middle in a 4-3 again that makes him and his skill-set far more valuable to that D than it is to ours.

Exactly. The downside of switching defenses. I'd rather lose one really great player and all-around great guy to another team than keep the 32nd ranked pass D in a pass-happy league. We needed Wade and his 3-4, and that ultimately meant losing Demeco to a 4-3 team that needed him more.

Rey
09-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Speaking of poor arguments...Cushing is ok in coverage...nothing special. DeMeco and him are very similar (middle of the road) when it comes to coverage...the difference was that DeMeco was hurt the last two years. Ryans is still a hell of a downhill linebacker.

You have selective memory. Demeco. Was poor in coverage, not ok. He was poor.

And that had nothing to do with his injury. Demeco's production has slipped ever since his stellar rookie year and IMO it was due to his weight gain. I'm no doctor, but I believe that's what led to his injury as well.

But even before the injury Demeco was poor in coverage. I understand there is a great deal of nostalgia in regards to Demeco, but don't re write history.

And you are just flat out wrong if you think Demeco is as good as Cushing in coverage. He's not and never has been.

infantrycak
09-21-2012, 08:16 AM
You have selective memory. Demeco. Was poor in coverage, not ok. He was poor.

And that had nothing to do with his injury. Demeco's production has slipped ever since his stellar rookie year and IMO it was due to his weight gain. I'm no doctor, but I believe that's what led to his injury as well.

But even before the injury Demeco was poor in coverage. I understand there is a great deal of nostalgia in regards to Demeco, but don't re write history.

And you are just flat out wrong if you think Demeco is as good as Cushing in coverage. He's not and never has been.

OK in regards to this you are flat out in opinion not history. I agree with Vinny that DeMeco and Cushing were roughly the same in coverage and both in the OK category.

It is kind of ironic to this discussion that DeMeco's first two pro bowl plays were a tipped pass and an INT. Proves nothing but I think we are way overstating your case on how bad Ryans is and how Cushing is so much better.

Kaiser Toro
09-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Cushing was a liability in coverage and poor in space his first two years, go back and watch the tape. He has gotten better.

Demeco was average in coverage, and then his injuries made him a liability, imo.

False Start
09-21-2012, 02:22 PM

I'll admit, I almost shed a tear. :(

thunderkyss
09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
OK in regards to this you are flat out in opinion not history. I agree with Vinny that DeMeco and Cushing were roughly the same in coverage and both in the OK category.

It is kind of ironic to this discussion that DeMeco's first two pro bowl plays were a tipped pass and an INT. Proves nothing but I think we are way overstating your case on how bad Ryans is and how Cushing is so much better.

Some people are showing how little they know about football. You're right, Vinny's right. Cushing is not hands down better than Demeco in coverage.

Goatcheese
09-26-2012, 04:17 PM
This team would be so ridiculous if we could have kept Demeco, Winston and Biscuit. They are sorely missed, not just for their play on the field, but their personalities and contributions to the team and community.

gtexan02
09-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Arizona was pretty effective running the ball on Demeco last week...

TheMatrix31
09-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Should not have watched that SoundFX thing.

Damn.

Playoffs
09-27-2012, 08:35 AM
With Demeco and Cushing both playing ILB on same team/scheme (2011), ProFootballFocus ranked Cushing ahead of Ryans in pass coverage.

For 2012, PFF ranks Demeco #1 overall ILB in the league. His pass coverage is rated just above Cushing's, who is in the bottom third overall ILB rankings through 3 games.

Vinny
09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
With Demeco and Cushing both playing ILB on same team/scheme (2011), ProFootballFocus ranked Cushing ahead of Ryans in pass coverage. injured DeMeco

For 2012, PFF ranks Demeco #1 overall ILB in the league. His pass coverage is rated just above Cushing's, who is in the bottom third overall ILB rankings through 3 games. Healthy DeMeco

SheTexan
09-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Nevermind!!:)

thunderkyss
09-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Nevermind!!:)

I know, it's painful isn't it?