PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Weedon: 5.1 QB Rating

thunderkyss
09-09-2012, 06:42 PM
I know he's a rookie, & this (imo) is not a reflection of him, or his future in the NFL, but something is wrong in Cleveland & it's not the QB.
12 of 35 118 yards & 4 INTs

Trent Richardson - 19 carries for 39 yards...... ouch!!

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Cleveland is where players go to die.

Rey
09-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm not a big Richardson fan, but I do like weeden. I think Richardson is good not great so I'm surprised that both had such rough outings.

But they almost pulled out the win anyways :shrug:

stingray
09-09-2012, 07:28 PM
The Browns are just the most pathetic NFL franchise. All they had to do to get RG3 was to give up the Richardson pick, Weedens pick and next years first. But I guess Holmgrens such a genius, that he thought he can build the team without a Qb.

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 07:30 PM
The Browns are just the most pathetic NFL franchise. All they had to do to get RG3 was to give up the Richardson pick, Weedens pick and next years first. But I guess Holmgrens such a genius, that he thought he can build the team without a Qb.

RG3 is great, but he would not have succeeded in Cleveland like he will in Washington. Shannahan's offense is perfect for RG3.

Scooter
09-09-2012, 07:32 PM
colt is a solid qb, they screwed up by trying to upgrade arguably the only position they're set at. if jacoby jones, eric winston, and johnathan wells were our highlights on offense - matt schaub would look like crap too. the browns will perpetually be in rebuild mode until they have an offensive line draft that works. if it happens they'll have the jump that the jets did with mangold and ferguson.

stingray
09-09-2012, 07:34 PM
RG3 is great, but he would not have succeeded in Cleveland like he will in Washington. Shannahan's offense is perfect for RG3.

I'm sorry, but RG3 would succed in any offense. The guy looks special. and if you don't think he would suceed in your offense, then you a hire a coach that would fit his talents.

Texn4life
09-09-2012, 07:35 PM
I hated the pick when they drafted him, and I hate it now. They're forcing him to start now because of his age, but I don't really believe he's the better QB. I hope they allow Colt to go somewhere else soon and get away from that mess of a franchise. I think he can actually be a productive QB on a good team.

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry, but RG3 would succed in any offense. The guy looks special. and if you don't think he would suceed in your offense, then you a hire a coach that would fit his talents.

RG3 succeeded today because he was used effectively. First 6 passes were all behind the LoS. The rest of his plays was rollout after rollout to utilize his speed.

Theres a reason Shannahan is likely a future HoF coach and Pat Shumur is Pat Shumur.

I believe RG3 in Cleveland would look very different than RG3 in Washington. I'm not saying Weeden is an equal talent, just that I think RG3 was taylor made to fit Wash and Weeden is a can't succeed system

Texn4life
09-09-2012, 07:44 PM
RG3 succeeded today because he was used effectively. First 6 passes were all behind the LoS. The rest of his plays was rollout after rollout to utilize his speed.

Theres a reason Shannahan is likely a future HoF coach and Pat Shumur is Pat Shumur.

I believe RG3 in Cleveland would look very different than RG3 in Washington. I'm not saying Weeden is an equal talent, just that I think RG3 was taylor made to fit Wash and Weeden is a can't succeed system

I agree with you here. I loved Washington's game plan against the Saints today. They really didn't even try to throw any deep passes except for maybe 1. There is so much more they're going to be able to do with him as the season goes along.

With that said, Weeden looks very uneasy in the pocket. He does lack playmakers around him, but accuracy and arm strength can only get you so far. You have to have pocket presence and I just don't see that with him. See Blaine Gabbert

stingray
09-09-2012, 07:45 PM

We will see. Hit me up in three years. All I see is a bright future ahead of RG3. All I see in the Browns future, is a bunch 0f 4-12 seasons.

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
We will see. Hit me up in three years. All I see is a bright future ahead of RG3. All I see in the Browns future, is a bunch 0f 4-12 seasons.

No doubt about it, I totally agree with both statements

thunderkyss
09-09-2012, 08:50 PM
With that said, Weeden looks very uneasy in the pocket. He does lack playmakers around him, but accuracy and arm strength can only get you so far. You have to have pocket presence and I just don't see that with him. See Blaine Gabbert

It would be nice if he had a pocket to learn that presence in. This is a whole 'nother level. If he doesn't have a dependable check down option that can get open quick.... he needs a pocket.

That is unless you have an RG III who can make stuff happen.

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Last i heard is they offered that and more, but the Rams took the Redskins package due to personal ties. Unless of course, you have something to corroborate your version of the story.

stingray
09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Last i heard is they offered that and more, but the Rams took the Redskins package due to personal ties. Unless of course, you have something to corroborate your version of the story.

That's not what I heard listening to Sirius NFL Radio. They only offered the two first round picks plus a second. And I doubt the "personal relationship" trade option. The NFL is all about what can you do for me regardless if I hate or like you.

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 09:47 PM
The NFL is all about what can you do for me regardless if I hate or like you.

Not disagreeing with the offer, but I do think personal relationships play a role. How else do you explain the Matt Cassel trade?

Rey
09-09-2012, 09:59 PM

I agree with that, but we don't know how good RG3 and weeded are.

Rg3 could be an elite level qb eventually and weeded could be David Carr for all we know.

It's like saying Arron Rodgers wouldn't be as good in Cleveland. Maybe not, but he'd still be a really good qb.

eriadoc
09-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Very simply, you can not overstate the importance of the offensive and defensive lines. Build the trenches first and your skill position players will live up to whatever potential they have.

Corrosion
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Very simply, you can not overstate the importance of the offensive and defensive lines. Build the trenches first and your skill position players will live up to whatever potential they have.

And we have a winner ....

On a side note , I wonder how long before they send McCoy back out under center .....:cowboy1:

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
New owner will surely trashcan Holmgren and pull in some mgmt. folks with Steelers ties.

MojoMan
09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
How long before the fans start calling for Colt McCoy?

And which QB will finish the season as the starter for the Browns, Weedon or McCoy?

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
The Browns play Buffalo next week. We'll see just how bad the Bills DLine is. Then they go to Baltimore, then NYG, then have Cincinnati at home. If he makes it out of that, I'd be surprised.

But Colt won't make a difference. If I were McCoy I'd come down with Tennis Elbow or something.

Corrosion
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
The Browns play Buffalo next week. We'll see just how bad the Bills DLine is. Then they go to Baltimore, then NYG, then have Cincinnati at home. If he makes it out of that, I'd be surprised.

But Colt won't make a difference. If I were McCoy I'd come down with Tennis Elbow or something.

I dont think he makes a difference in how their season goes either .... But I do think he is just as capable as the guy they drafted.They would have been better served spending that pick elsewhere - like on a skill position or a stud offensive lineman.

Yeah , might be a good idea for McCoy to come down with a case of the farts or something .... Just to avoid the punishment.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 11:19 AM
I dont think he makes a difference in how their season goes either .... But I do think he is just as capable as the guy they drafted.They would have been better served spending that pick elsewhere - like on a skill position or a stud offensive lineman.

I agree. I thought they did good to draft Richardson, with the way that Hillis thing played out. But with Cribbs being their primary offensive weapon last season, I kind of thought they would go WR with that second pick. OL would have made as much sense too...

But alas...

I don't think Colt is the future of the Browns. But I thought he was competent enough to allow them to build the rest of that team.

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Surprising sad fact...
Weeden’s rating also was the sixth lowest in Cleveland history, only bettering then-rookie Don Gault (0.0 against Pittsburgh in 1970), Jeff Garcia (0.0 at Dallas in 2004), Bruce Gradkowski (1.0 at Pittsburgh in 2008), and two duds by Jim Ninowski (2.8 at Philadelphia in 1962, and 4.4 at Detroit in 1963).
http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2012/09/10/browns-qb-brandon-weeden-can%E2%80%99t-hide-in-ugly-debut/

Also note, RGIII had a 139.9 rating @New Orleans.

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 11:56 AM
It's funny how Weeden as a rookie in his first start is getting all this flak, while 16 million dollar Michael Vick is getting little attention for his 4 INTs, 2 fumbles (not lost) and barely beat a terrible Browns team. Oh, and his QBR was just over 50 in that game.

texdawg
09-10-2012, 12:38 PM
It's funny how Weeden as a rookie in his first start is getting all this flak, while 16 million dollar Michael Vick is getting little attention for his 4 INTs, 2 fumbles (not lost) and barely beat a terrible Browns team. Oh, and his QBR was just over 50 in that game.

On the game winning drive Vick had a sure int dropped by a Browns player in the endzone just prior to his game winning pass. It was in the defenders hands and just dropped.

I was hoping the curse would end with the death of Fart Model, guess not. LOL

Just another typical Sunday as a Browns fan.

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Just another typical Sunday as a Browns fan.They should've gone for 2, imo.

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 02:13 PM
On the game winning drive Vick had a sure int dropped by a Browns player in the endzone just prior to his game winning pass. It was in the defenders hands and just dropped.

I was hoping the curse would end with the death of Fart Model, guess not. LOL

Just another typical Sunday as a Browns fan.

Yep, I watched the game too. I was really pulling for an upset, but it looks like the offense is going to need another draft before it gets good. I'm hoping the Browns get a chance to draft Tyler Wilson, QB from Arkansas, as I think he will be a great player in the NFL. Could use a new right guard too.

I'm also hoping the new owner fires Schurmur and brings in Cowher, but that seems even less likely. :)

JCTexan
09-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Your schedule is right but it has one flaw: They will be playing in Cincinnati next week. Buffalo for week 3, Baltimore week 4, then NYG.

mootini
09-10-2012, 02:40 PM

Good point!!!

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Good point!!!

I didn't respond earlier, because I didn't know exactly what Dutchrudder was referring to. Like the point of this thread is not to put any "flak" on Weeden. In fact, every post in this thread is about how it isn't Weeden's fault. Cleveland is QB hell right now & has been for a while. I'm not a Colt fanboy, but I do think he's gotten a raw deal as it appears many Browns fans & apparently the Browns management have blamed Colt for their shortcomings.

Now if Weeden is getting a lot of flak outside this thread, or if Vick's 4 INTs is going on unnoticed outside this thread... well I can't speak to that, because my experience is the opposite.

Ω

chicagotexan2
09-10-2012, 04:02 PM
C'mon guys go easy on Weeden. He's a rookie that had a terrible outing. If I were a Browns fan I'd look on the bright side. Weeden can only get better as he is still very young, oh wait................

PapaL
09-10-2012, 04:26 PM
The dude got tackled by the flag before kickoff. It was clearly an omen.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2012/09/WEEDEN-FLAG.gif?cd73fb

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 04:26 PM
I didn't respond earlier, because I didn't know exactly what Dutchrudder was referring to. Like the point of this thread is not to put any "flak" on Weeden. In fact, every post in this thread is about how it isn't Weeden's fault. Cleveland is QB hell right now & has been for a while. I'm not a Colt fanboy, but I do think he's gotten a raw deal as it appears many Browns fans & apparently the Browns management have blamed Colt for their shortcomings.

Now if Weeden is getting a lot of flak outside this thread, or if Vick's 4 INTs is going on unnoticed outside this thread... well I can't speak to that, because my experience is the opposite.

Ω

So starting a thread entitled "Brandon Weedon: 5.1 QB Rating" isn't criticizing the guy? I'm not defending his performance at all, but to pretend like no one is giving him crap about that game is naive. The Browns boards are littered with "Weeden = bust" type threads, and I can't blame them.

Go watch the highlight reels of the game and see how many Vick INTs they show versus Weeden's. It's kind of funny because the only one they show is the pick 6, but usually show 2-4 of Weeden's depending on the outlet.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 05:51 PM
So starting a thread entitled "Brandon Weedon: 5.1 QB Rating" isn't criticizing the guy?

I know he's a rookie, & this (imo) is not a reflection of him, or his future in the NFL, but something is wrong in Cleveland & it's not the QB.
12 of 35 118 yards & 4 INTs

Trent Richardson - 19 carries for 39 yards...... ouch!!

Don't think I could've been any more direct about it....

I'm not defending his performance at all, but to pretend like no one is giving him crap about that game is naive. The Browns boards are littered with "Weeden = bust" type threads, and I can't blame them.

I wouldn't know, haven't been on their boards, I said in my experience, because I haven't visited any Browns boards today.

Go watch the highlight reels of the game and see how many Vick INTs they show versus Weeden's. It's kind of funny because the only one they show is the pick 6, but usually show 2-4 of Weeden's depending on the outlet.

The only highlights I've seen, they give him a hard time about being tackled by the flag. They've mentioned the poor outing, because it was. I haven't seen or heard anything saying he was bad & I've seen them talk more about Vick (today) than anything else.

Dream team........

But anyway, I started this thread mainly to publicly criticize the Browns F.O.

mootini
09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Now, that's funny!!!!

The dude got tackled by the flag before kickoff. It was clearly an omen.

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/229/files/2012/09/WEEDEN-FLAG.gif?cd73fb

Vinny
09-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Rough week 1 for Brownie fans. Weedon was overthrowing passes all day (http://youtu.be/fcL_NcRKD9I). I think the Browns wr's dropped 4 passes officially. Richardson had a rough day too. This run (link below) reminds me of Ahman Green's first carry...an epic ramble of 2 yards. Ball snapped, huge hole, rb looks for a place to fall down. 2nd and 8.

http://youtu.be/zC0tMlcc9oY

Bulls on Parade
09-14-2012, 01:54 PM
And you're telling me Colt McCoy didn't deserve the stater's role? They've got so many team needs in Cleveland. The QB position is important but for that team they could have drafted other impact players and gave McCoy another hard look for a few more years.

thunderkyss
09-14-2012, 02:37 PM
And you're telling me Colt McCoy didn't deserve the stater's role? They've got so many team needs in Cleveland. The QB position is important but for that team they could have drafted other impact players and gave McCoy another hard look for a few more years.

That's more or less the point of this thread. Not so much that they could give McCoy a hard look or whatnot, I'm sure the coaches & GM are set on what they think about McCoy. If they don't think he's their future, he's not their future & short of a miraculous season, they're not going to change their mind.

But, like you said. They have so many other needs, with a defense that will be wasted if they can't control the game on offense. A couple of big uglies, or some really talented receivers/TEs that can get open real quick.

I don't fault them for drafting Weeden, so much as misjudging where their team is at. Granted it's only been one week, but if they really think Weed is the future, they should consider protecting him on the sideline for a few weeks until they're sure they can protect him.

Vinny
09-14-2012, 02:44 PM

stiff breeze up there off the water. I think McCoy has proven he couldn't make some throws, so yeah they really do need a qb. Is Weedon the guy? donno

Vinny
09-17-2012, 06:24 PM
Weedon was impressive at times this weekend...against a good Bengal D. I think they are gonna be ok with him going forward.

gtexan02
09-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Weedon was impressive at times this weekend...against a good Bengal D. I think they are gonna be ok with him going forward.

Yup, and that Eagles D looks like the real deal. A week after dropping a 40 burger, Flacco was 22 for 42 for 232 with 1 TD and 1 INT for a QB rating of 66

Thats a tough coming out party for Weeden

Rey
09-18-2012, 08:09 AM
I like weeden. I liked him in college a lot. The guys has a great arm IMO. He throws darts.

As far as that eagles defense, mychal kendricks (a guy some of us here wanted) and Demeco have given that defense a face lift. Demeco is moving around like his old self again and mychal kendricks moves like a safety and tackles like a lb. Two good instinctual lb'ers.