PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schaub Signs Extension

TheMatrix31
09-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Per Mark Berman:

RT @MarkBermanFox26: Matt Schaub's extension is for 4 years worth 62 million/24.750 guaranteed

GlenRice
09-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Now go get him a another threat opposite of AJ.

LikeMike
09-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Wow, that's bigger than I expected....

False Start
09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
So did Tim Jamison.

Link (https://twitter.com/NickScurfield/status/244896769555697666)

Corrosion
09-09-2012, 03:38 PM
He's gettin paid like a top 10 QB .... Now he better play like one and stay on the field.

On to getting Barwin done.

rmartin65
09-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Ugh... I dont feel good about the length of that contract. I realize it only puts him at 35, but still, just not a good feeling. Hopefully I am wrong though.

Texn4life
09-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Congrats to Matt and Tim! Now Matt keep making sure you protect yourself!

wolf123
09-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I think Barwin is gonna wish he took the Texans offer. He has looked very average after putting on weight...

wolf123
09-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Ugh... I dont feel good about the length of that contract. I realize it only puts him at 35, but still, just not a good feeling. Hopefully I am wrong though.

And you don't feel good about it why???

welsh texan
09-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Good news, looks as if its very lucrative to him if he stays healthy and good, and reasonable for the Texans if he doesn't. Gives us options if Yates develops into starter material in that timeframe as well.

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I really hope that the last year is a lot of backloaded salary. 15.5 million a year average is a lot for him.

rmartin65
09-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Just a gut feeling, you know? Schaub is a good QB. Arguably top 10, and I am very happy that he is on the Texans. However, I dont know if we can win a Super Bowl with him. When the pocket breaks down, the Schaub has, historically, been and trouble. And it sounds like (I could not watch the game) he has gotten even worse in this regard. This is something that will never get better.

I am not advocating a running QB- I dont want a Vick or Young. I do want a guy, who when stuff goes down, can make plays with his feet, even if it is just buying time. Look at the last couple QBs to win a Super Bowl- Eli Manning (not a run threat, but moves well), Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Brady. Peyton is the only real exception here, and even that is questionable since his release was so quick.

Like I said, Schaub is a good QB. In particular, he has probably the best play action fake in the NFL. I just dont think he can get it done without pristine protection.

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Damn 1 game and they sign him to an extension, and then Jamison gets 1 sack and an extension WTF, we played the Dolphins. Just saying

False Start
09-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm good with it. It is a bit more than I was expecting.

So, does this mean the Texans will be looking for his replacement sometimes in the next 3 drafts? I hope so.

rmartin65
09-09-2012, 03:51 PM
Damn 1 game and they sign him to an extension, and then Jamison gets 1 sack and an extension WTF, we played the Dolphins. Just saying

Yeah... these moves were not hinged on the outcome of this game. A lot of time goes into these contracts. This was probably worked up this morning or last night.

ChampionTexan
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Really, you think this was finalized after the game today? Really?

wolf123
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM

Yea, cause at halftime Rick realized he should immediately call schaubs and jamisons agent...:kitten:

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Really, you think this was finalized after the game today? Really?

haha no thats why i put just saying, but it is ironic. I thought we didnt sign people to extensions during the season ???

TimeKiller
The guaranteed portion doesn't seem overly steep, all things considered. Here's to Schaub managing games like he did today!

Bleed_Blu_Red
Good move. I love it.

False Start
09-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Yea, cause at halftime Rick realized he should immediately call schaubs and jamisons agent...:kitten:

I think I caught a glimpse of them signing the contracts, on the sideline late in the 4th quarter. :littlelol:

Scooter
09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
i like it, though it's quite a bit bigger than i think it should be. schaub is the quarterback we're built for. when discussing our other quarterbacks i compare them to schaub ... can they "throw to a spot blindfolded" like schaub? the answer is always "no". average arm, no mobility, doesnt adjust very quickly ... but he's accurate and as i said - he can put the ball exactly where it's supposed to be based on the offensive and defensive calls faster than anyone we could sign. there is one knock, his heath ... and even that is hardly a knock. every injury is from awkward contact, not muscle or joint or anything hinting at a weakness.

towards his age, it doesnt matter. he's more in the chad pennington mold, decision and accuracy are key, though he still has more velocity than our current rookie. as long as matt and kubiak are together, he's going to be no worse than very very good.

ATXtexanfan
09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Not bad for an above average qb

Dash
09-09-2012, 04:06 PM
More than I was expecting but its good to have the extension finally out of the way now.

cland
09-09-2012, 04:12 PM
This is another great signing by the Texans, 15.5/yr (-the usual, contractual real world amount) for a QB is just where he should Schaub should be. He performs at a top third level and got a top third contract. He IS the Texans'/Kubiak's/System QB that is needed for the offensive system, and if anyone watched last year's playoff games you should feel comfortable that he can take us to a divisional championship and beyond.

His only replacement would come from having an absolute miserable year(s) and being lucky that a legitimate rookie QB was waiting there for you... Don't know about you all, but I'm not ready to do that yet, when we've finally gotten to the top of the hill.

Iceman16
09-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Because we're paying $15M/year to an above-average player.

Thorn
09-09-2012, 04:16 PM

Besides Schaub, who else would you recommend being our starting QB? Schaub, despite some of his failings, is still a good QB in Kubiak's system. And he did make some good throws today.

Iceman16
09-09-2012, 04:16 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/quarterback/ To those that think Schaub is getting paid like a player of his caliber.

Iceman16
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Besides Schaub, who else would you recommend being our starting QB?
That's not relevant to him getting too much money.

And he did make some good throws today.
Of course he did. He's an above-average quarterback.

wolf123
09-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Yes, lets live through another season of TJ yates.... He looked so good this preason:kitten:

The Medic01
09-09-2012, 04:19 PM
That's not relevant to him getting too much money.

Of course he did. He's an above-average quarterback.

Yes it actually is. Without him we are an average to sucky team.

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Where were all the bootleg deep passes that we have all grown accustom to ?

False Start
09-09-2012, 04:21 PM
LZ just said it was done just after midnight last night.

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/quarterback/ To those that think Schaub is getting paid like a player of his caliber.

That's salary only and doesn't include roster, signing and workout bonuses. It also doesn't give a good indication of the average caphit per year, which is really what matters.

Iceman16
Yes, lets live through another season of TJ yates.... He looked so good this preason:kitten:
Again, that has nothing to do with Schaub being overpaid. Using 4 preseason games from Yates as your irrelevant counterargument has even less to do with it.

Iceman16
Yes it actually is. Without him we are an average to sucky team.
Last year without him and several other key players disagrees.

Iceman16
09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
That's salary only and doesn't include roster, signing and workout bonuses. It also doesn't give a good indication of the average caphit per year, which is really what matters.
The 15.5 is his base, so it's relevant. With the signing bonus alone he's still in the same territory, and still overpaid.

G27RR
09-09-2012, 04:26 PM

You're comparing base salaries to his potential total salary, which is not a valid comparison. Compare totals to totals.

wolf123
09-09-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't even know why he's arguing about this...

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 04:35 PM
The 15.5 is his base, so it's relevant. With the signing bonus alone he's still in the same territory, and still overpaid.

You have no idea how much of it is incentive based, there's no way to tell how much he's really going to earn. 25 guaranteed is actually pretty reasonable, as that's basically 2 years guaranteed, plus a little more. As I said earlier, I hope it's backloaded so that we are basically making a 2-3 year deal with him, and he won't earn the 20 million or whatever it could be in year 4. Look at some of those contracts you linked, almost every one of those QBs are making outrageous sums in their final years, and it's unlikely they will get it.

I'm willing to bet about 10 million of it is tied up in incentives based on things like starting 14-16 regular season games, 2 million bonus for winning the Super Bowl, 1 million bonus for winning AFC, etc etc. QB contracts are always inflated by stuff like that.

ArlingtonTexan
09-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Drew Bress is older and got 60 million guaranteed over 5 years. Schaub got 25 million over 4. for those who think that schuab is half the QB that Bress is, the money follows.

TexansBull
09-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Rick Smith and the gang have done well with contracts to get the benefit of the doubt that this is a good contract extension. I can't think of many other quarterbacks that are going to be free next year that can take his spot through trade or FA.

From the homer fan like myself it may seem that Schaub's contract is a contract for the "injury free matt schaub" instead of the "injury prone Matt Schaub." But like I said Rick gets the benefit of the doubt at the end of the day.

So with his contract extension who isn't going to get resigned next year? Smith? Who else?

ChampionTexan
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Well, as of yesterday, if you'd asked me who would agree to a last minute (in terms of the beginning of the season) extension, I would have said Barwin in a heartbeat.

Shows what I know, but I'm extremely happy to see that Matt has re-upped and is property of the Texans for a little longer.

amazing80
09-09-2012, 05:18 PM
LZ just said it was done just after midnight last night.

No wonder we looked terrible to start the game, our leader was up past his bedtime.....silly GM messin stuff up

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 05:21 PM
As concerns the 2012 cap, Schaub was going to count $10,950,000 ([base salary] 7,150,000 , [signing bonus] 750,000, ["other" bonuses] 3,050,000)

Wonder what the implications of the hit will now be.

kiwitexansfan
09-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I guess it is nice to get some business out of the way. Schaub is better than what a lot of teams have to play with and better than what we could probably get in FA or the draft, drafting at 32.

thunderkyss
09-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Per Mark Berman:

RT @MarkBermanFox26: Matt Schaub's extension is for 4 years worth 62 million/24.750 guaranteed

62/4= 15.5

Are we paying Matt $15.5M/yr?

I tell you what... Houston fans love them some Schaub. I was up in 609, and after another disappointing drive (before the turnovers) I tried to start the chant, "TJ, TJ, TJ.... "

I got some ugly looks and almost didn't make it out of there.

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 06:42 PM
62/4= 15.5

I tell you what... Houston fans love them some Schaub. I was up in 609, and after another disappointing drive (before the turnovers) I tried to start the chant, "TJ, TJ, TJ.... "

I dont blame the others around you. TJ looked like he belonged with the special teams players

thunderkyss
09-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I think Barwin is gonna wish he took the Texans offer. He has looked very average after putting on weight...

Shuan Cody beat him in a free-style swim meet.

:kitten:

Texn4life
09-09-2012, 06:48 PM
62/4= 15.5

So you're one of those guys huh? Yeah, a 102 QB rating and 266 yards passing is definitely worthy of a QB getting yanked in favor of a QB whose last meaningful action was just chunking the ball up for grabs. :kitten:

wolf123
09-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Shuan Cody beat him in a free-style swim meet.

:kitten:

The pass rush on the edge was not good enough today..

thunderkyss
09-09-2012, 06:53 PM
You have no idea how much of it is incentive based, there's no way to tell how much he's really going to earn. 25 guaranteed is actually pretty reasonable, as that's basically 2 years guaranteed, plus a little more. As I said earlier, I hope it's backloaded so that we are basically making a 2-3 year deal with him, and he won't earn the 20 million or whatever it could be in year 4. Look at some of those contracts you linked, almost every one of those QBs are making outrageous sums in their final years, and it's unlikely they will get it.

I'm willing to bet about 10 million of it is tied up in incentives based on things like starting 14-16 regular season games, 2 million bonus for winning the Super Bowl, 1 million bonus for winning AFC, etc etc. QB contracts are always inflated by stuff like that.

I'd love to know what his anual salary is for the first three years.

25 guaranteed over 4 years is just a little more than $6M/yr, his salary for this year may be as low as $2M/yr & like you said, incentives based on games played, play-off placing, pro-bowl, AFC Championship game appearance... etc, etc...

He may only make $8M this year, which is about right for him.

TheRealJoker
09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
If he keeps playing like today he'll be worth every penny. Great play from Schaub today coming off injury with an OL that wasn't doing him any favors.

2012Champs
09-09-2012, 09:05 PM
So you're one of those guys huh? Yeah, a 102 QB rating and 266 yards passing is definitely worthy of a QB getting yanked in favor of a QB whose last meaningful action was just chunking the ball up for grabs. :kitten:

Lol

utahmark
09-09-2012, 09:08 PM
62/4= 15.5

Why?

beerlover
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Texans continue to roll :logo:

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I'd love to know what his anual salary is for the first three years.

25 guaranteed over 4 years is just a little more than $6M/yr, his salary for this year may be as low as $2M/yr & like you said, incentives based on games played, play-off placing, pro-bowl, AFC Championship game appearance... etc, etc...

He may only make $8M this year, which is about right for him.

Yeah it's 6 a year average, but the guaranteed money will be paid out by the end of year 2. I'm guessing he got about 8 million signing bonus, and a salary structure of 8, 10, 12, 15 per, with the rest being an assortment of bonuses. I'm expecting it to be a cap friendly deal too, Matt seems like the kind of guy who would do that.

Rey
09-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I can't explain it, but schaubs throws actually look better.

His throws aren't as airy as they used to be. I dint feel like I'm watching the ball travel in slow motion to it's target.

wolf123
09-09-2012, 09:16 PM

His throws aren't as airy as they used to be. I dint feel like I'm watching the ball travel in slow motion to it's target.

I agree Rey he's got more zip on the ball.

Bulls on Parade
09-09-2012, 09:18 PM
How close is Schaub to being 100 % with that foot? I recall a 3rd and goal when he seemed to have an easy daylight (opening) into the end zone had he ran it in but he sort of stayed too long in the pocket, as if running wasn't an option, and forced an incomplete pass to the corner of the end zone. Not that Schaub was ever a runner but I've seen him make plays with his feet (running Touchdowns), especially against Miami, in the past on similar type of plays.

We ended up getting a Field Goal when we should have gotten 6 points. It was interesting to hear the crowd booing every time we settled for a field goal. At least on that particular play, I would have been on board with the disappointment. A good thing the defense forced 4 turnovers and scored 24 points off those turnovers.

We better play much better against the Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Bears and whatever good teams we play this season. If we play like today against the good teams I'll be awfully worried. That's the only down part of playing the Dolphins and Jaguars -- two bad teams the first two weeks. You don't need to play your best to win but I'll take the 2-0 record.

We'll be tested Week 3 at Denver. I can't wait for that one.

Wolf
09-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Texans general manager Rick Smith announced after Sunday's 30-10 victory over the Miami Dolphins that the team had signed Schaub to a contract extension. NFL.com and NFL Network's Steve Wyche obtained the numbers from a source: It's a four-year contract with nearly $30 million guaranteed and a maximum value of $62 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060023/article/matt-schaub-signs-contract-extension-after-win

DocBar
09-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm good with this. If Barwin doesn't look like he's gonna produce, save the $$ on an extension and lets see what Whiney can do. Barwin looked average, at best, today.

Mailman
09-09-2012, 09:29 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000060023/article/matt-schaub-signs-contract-extension-after-win

This is a great bargain for the team. Franchise quarterbacks are a rarity and must be protected from hitting the FA market. While there's a debate about where Schaub ranks among his peers at the position, in my opinion there's ample statistical evidence that he's an elite quarterback who deserves to get paid as such. Locking him up now was a very wise move because this team is primed to make a deep run, and every future success this season will only bump his price tag higher. Let's assume the Texans win the AFC or the SB and Schaub hits FA next season....what would the market price for his services be then?

wolf123
09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm good with this. If Barwin doesn't look like he's gonna produce, save the $$ on an extension and lets see what Whiney can do. Barwin looked average, at best, today.

I'm very worried that he bulked up too much and lost some of his speed & athleticism.

badboy
09-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Matt got about what I thought he would but I expected it to be with another team. If there is no upfront bonus to average out and the last year is back loaded and non guaranteed (which it probaby is) this could be a very good deal for team. I have very mixed feelings about Matt but he looked good today. His passes seem to be more linear or "on a string than before.

When I reworked my 2013 mock yesterday, I exchanged QB for OLB but did not know why. I just had the feeling last night that Matt would re-sign but had absolutly nothing to base that on but gut. I went to bed about 12:30 and tossed and turned until after 2:30 trying to argue against that feeling. I had posted on a cap thread in reply to someone saying we had about $24 M IIRC before Brown's deal, we should be able to sign Schaub & Conner. Well one down, one of those two left.

Edit here post I refer to from Section516 :

Even with those pending free agents, Clayton’s salary-cap list for 2013 is filled with good news for the AFC South.

The Texans will have $24.8 million.

Norg
09-09-2012, 10:28 PM
now its either yates or within the next 2 years we need to sign or Draft our QB of the future

most likey draft what are some good College QB'S in the next 2 years ???

badboy
09-09-2012, 10:43 PM
now its either yates or within the next 2 years we need to sign or Draft our QB of the future

most likey draft what are some good College QB'S in the next 2 years ???I can see us trading up in 2013 or 2014 to get our future QB. I saw KJ being more in position in this game (although I missed first one and one half quarters.

I like Zac Dysert who has moved up in polls after his '12 performance.

Bleed_Blu_Red
09-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Any1 know how much Jamison got extended for?

Bleed_Blu_Red
09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Never mind found it.

Tim Jamison Defensive Lineman 9/9/2012: Signed a three-year contract. 2012: $615,000, 2013-2014: Under Contract, 2015: Free Agent

Wolf6151
09-10-2012, 02:10 AM
Just a gut feeling, you know? Schaub is a good QB. Arguably top 10, and I am very happy that he is on the Texans. However, I dont know if we can win a Super Bowl with him. When the pocket breaks down, the Schaub has, historically, been and trouble. And it sounds like (I could not watch the game) he has gotten even worse in this regard. This is something that will never get better.

I am not advocating a running QB- I dont want a Vick or Young. I do want a guy, who when stuff goes down, can make plays with his feet, even if it is just buying time. Look at the last couple QBs to win a Super Bowl- Eli Manning (not a run threat, but moves well), Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Brady. Peyton is the only real exception here, and even that is questionable since his release was so quick.

Like I said, Schaub is a good QB. In particular, he has probably the best play action fake in the NFL. I just dont think he can get it done without pristine protection.

Don't worry with only 24.75 mil. guaranteed I think it's highly doubtful Schaub is here all 4 of those years. All the guaranteed money will be paid out after only 2 yrs.. As long as Schaub stays healthy I like this contract, and the signing of Jamison. Excellent work by Rick Smith. That's 2 less needs in the 2013 draft.

I hope they can extend Barwin as well but he may not work out in the numbers crunch, and with Mercilus waiting to play Barwin may just be odd man out at the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 07:45 AM

I think the move sets us up to franchise Barwin if he doesn't sign before FA. The tag on an OLB isn't too bad from a team perspective. I'm sure Connor is going to have to factor that in when they start negotiating again.

beerlover
09-10-2012, 09:05 AM
However cap friendly structured the terms, Schaub still agreed to a contract that makes him among the highest paid QB's in NFL @ 15.5 mil avg. per/yr.

My question is how where the Texans able to fit this contract under the cap since reportedly they were 700k over prior to this signing, plus Jamison too? :pirate:

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
However cap friendly structured the terms, Schaub still agreed to a contract that makes him among the highest paid QB's in NFL @ 15.5 mil avg. per/yr.

My question is how where the Texans able to fit this contract under the cap since reportedly they were 700k over prior to this signing, plus Jamison too? :pirate:

It's the same thing as the Duane Brown re-signing, the contracts will take effect in the 2013 season and beyond, so no impact to this year unless they wanted it to. That's not to say they couldn't have modified his 2012 salary and restructured that in the process, but if anything that caphit would go down. Any signing bonuses can be paid now, but that will only effect the cap based on how they decided to structure the deal.

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
My question is how where the Texans able to fit this contract under the cap since reportedly they were 700k over prior to this signing, plus Jamison too?
I get the feeling there's more to this new cap structure than we as fans know about?

IDEXAN
09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
Never mind found it.

Tim Jamison Defensive Lineman 9/9/2012: Signed a three-year contract. 2012: $615,000, 2013-2014: Under Contract, 2015: Free Agent
I thought the annual Vet-Min was > 615 K ?

buddyboy
09-10-2012, 09:42 AM

He was also going against one of the top tackles in the league

drs23
09-10-2012, 09:43 AM

I mentioned that in the preseason. Matt has looked sharper since his return to me. I hope he can keep it up.

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I thought the annual Vet-Min was > 615 K ?

This year, 615k is the minimum for a 3 year vet. Next year, a 4-6 year vet minimum will be 715k.

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2012, 09:47 AM
I get the feeling there's more to this new cap structure than we as fans know about?

That's what I'm saying.

drs23
09-10-2012, 09:53 AM

When did this happen. I can't believe I missed that the Texans even made an offer, let alone Barwin refusing it.

ChampionTexan
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
I mentioned that in the preseason. Matt has looked sharper since his return to me. I hope he can keep it up.

That's what I'm saying.

Agreed. If this was as straightforward and obvious as it appears, why would there be a requirement to notify the league of the intent to roll it over? Why not simply say any unused cap at the end of one league year will be rolled over automatically to the next league year?

I can't imagine a reason for not carrying it over, but what would be the purpose of requiring notification if teams should want to roll it over 100% of the time?

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM

What makes you say that? There are always things going on behind the scenes that the fans are not privy to, such as this from yesterday:

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
To free up $4 mil in cap money, texans redid Johnathan Joseph and gave him money he owed now.

Jamison was already on the roster getting minimum money though, so his contract should have no impact on their cap aside from signing bonus (if there was any). I haven't seen anything about what years two and three are worth though, so maybe that's why he signed in hopes that he would make 2 million next year or maybe they guaranteed all of year two. I don't know, but I can't understand why anyone would sign a 3 year minimum deal.

badboy
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
It's the same thing as the Duane Brown re-signing, the contracts will take effect in the 2013 season and beyond, so no impact to this year unless they wanted it to. That's not to say they couldn't have modified his 2012 salary and restructured that in the process, but if anything that caphit would go down. Any signing bonuses can be paid now, but that will only effect the cap based on how they decided to structure the deal.I think Beerlover has a point, DR in that 2013 cap is to be about same as '12. With contracts escalating and huge amounts paid to Brown and Foster and Myers, where did or will the money for Matt come from? This makes me think my historical posts in other threads about cap numbers may have been correct. My numbers seem to compare with John Clayton's & Schaub's extension makes sense under Clayton's scenario. Joseph's re-structuring freed up $4m reportedly so I guess that could allow next season's hit on Matt. 2012 cap supposedly about $8m +$4m from JJ.

Or maybe that $4m will be for Barwin and Clayton's numbers of about $15m left for 2013 after D. Brown signed went to Schaub?

silvrhand
09-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Until the details come out and we can see the actual cap hit.. But right now it sound about 10 mil more than I expected.

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I think Beerlover has a point, DR in that 2013 cap is to be about same as '12. With contracts escalating and huge amounts paid to Brown and Foster and Myers, where did or will the money for Matt come from? This makes me think my historical posts in other threads about cap numbers may have been correct. My numbers seem to compare with John Clayton's & Schaub's extension makes sense under Clayton's scenario. Joseph's re-structuring freed up $4m reportedly so I guess that could allow next season's hit on Matt. 2012 cap supposedly about $8m +$4m from JJ.

Or maybe that $4m will be for Barwin and Clayton's numbers of about $15m left for 2013 after D. Brown signed went to Schaub?

He said "where is the money coming from if we were just over the cap recently?" I responded that it won't make a difference in the 2012 cap unless they want it to. The Texans are in control of their contracts, they know the cap and I'm sure they are taking into account the fact that they have bills to pay. He didn't mention the NFL cap changing, or anything like that. There's plenty that can be done when it comes to new contracts, all that matters is how you allocate the money.

The money for Schaub and Brown is coming from Demeco, Winston, Jacoby, Leinart, etc's dead money. It's also coming from guys that have expiring contracts like Butler and Cody, and what was previously expiring in Schaub at nearly 10 million this year. I think Clayton was right with his 24 million dollar prediction, but I think we have used it all up now with Schaub and Brown re-signing. I imagine that the Jamison signing was to bolster the DE corps due to the impending loss of Antonio Smith as a cap casualty, unless they can work out an extension and restructure. There's still plenty that can be done about the 2013 cap, so I think we are just fine now.

As far as the 2013 cap goes, if they freed up 4 million through Jjo, then that money gets spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal. That means you need to take 1.33 million out of next year's cap, but the remainder from this year can be rolled over. No harm there as JJos isn't getting cut any time soon.

I'm guessing that Schaub got a signing bonus of about 10 million that is being prorated over this year and the four of the extension, so they needed that cushion to make room for it in 2012. They probably wanted some more space in case someone gets injured later in the season and they need to sign more guys.

Bleed_Blu_Red
09-10-2012, 12:45 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/anatomy-of-schaubs-contract-extension/

Rick Smith says it all. So worst case scenario we franchise tag Barwin and move on to other players we have to resign. As of now we are 3.5mil under the cap

badboy
09-10-2012, 02:47 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/anatomy-of-schaubs-contract-extension/

Rick Smith says it all. So worst case scenario we franchise tag Barwin and move on to other players we have to resign. As of now we are 3.5mil under the cap

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the read. I would be surprised if Barwin signs for $10m in Houston or if we tag him. Way too much.

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 02:53 PM

Interesting quote from that article:

Joseph’s base salary this season was supposed to be $7.25 million. The Texans converted a portion of his base salary into signing bonus, which Joseph will receive right away. That move freed up $3.75 million that helped them sign Schaub, whose extension starts in 2013 and expires after the 2016 season when he’ll be 35.

So........ it sounds to me like they turned 5 million of his base salary this year into a signing bonus which is paid out now. 1.25 million of it hits the cap each year for four years. Good to know.

Bleed_Blu_Red
09-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Ya the franchise Tag seems a little steep for Barwin,but gota do what you gota do. after Mario got hurt I think the Texans are looking at it as can't have to many pass rushers especially versatile ones.

Section516
09-10-2012, 03:44 PM
adbrandt Andrew Brandt
Now. RT @GregR_FBG Does Schaub's prorated $17.5m signing bonus hit the cap in 2012, or not until 2013?

Goldensilence
09-10-2012, 04:00 PM

Right in the end this is all that matters to me. In the end this looks like it could be a cap friendly deal especially if they are considering drafting his replacement or continue to develop Yates or Keenum by the time the backend of this deal hits.

When did this happen. I can't believe I missed that the Texans even made an offer, let alone Barwin refusing it.

Right kind of curious too, but he's got to figure with a lot of teams moving towards or have moved towards 3-4 Defenses he's going to find a team that's going to be willing to pay him. I guess I have kind of figured the Texans have really done contracts this past year in terms of who is most important.

Foster got his deal first, undoubtedly the guy makes this offense run most rushing TDs in the league the past two years and IMO best all around RB in the league.

Myers was needed to solidify this line and got a fair deal.

Brown has grown into a top LT in the league.

I am pretty sure they wanted to extend Schaub but wanted to wait until the cap hit would take effect on next year's cap.

I am glad they added Jamison to the team on a value deal for a guy who might not be a double digit sack guy but, one who is usually active and great in rotation.

ChampionTexan
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Per Rotoworld:

Signing Bonus: $17.5 Million (Guaranteed)
2012 Salary:$4.4 Million (Guaranteed)
2013 Salary: $7.25 Million (Guaranteed)
2014 Salary: $10 Million (plus $1 Million in "Per game" roster bonus)
2015 Salary: $12.5 Million (plus $1 Million in "Per game" roster bonus)
2016 Salary: $14.5 Million (plus $1 Million in "Per game" roster bonus)
2017: Free Agent

Total Contract Amount $66.15 Million
Total Guaranteed Amount $29.15 Million
LINK (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/16/matt-schaub)

Note: The figures below are my estimate/guess:
2012 Cap Hit: $11.7 Million (Assuming Spotrac's $3.8 million of unamortized bonus on the old contract is correct)
2013 Cap Hit: $10.75 Million
2014 Cap Hit: $14.5 Million (Assuming 16 games on the roster)
2015 Cap Hit: $17 Million (Assuming 16 games on the roster)
2016 Cap Hit $19 Million (Assuming 16 games on the roster)

2012 cap hit is $750,000 more than 2012 cap hit under previous contract.

Dutchrudder
09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Per Rotoworld:

2012 Cap Hit: $11.7 Million (Assuming Spotrac's $3.8 million of unamortized bonus on the old contract is correct)

So did they alter his salary for this year, because he was set to make something like 7.2 million? Going down to 4.4 this year is a significant savings, but it's offset by the new signing bonus.

This is a hefty contract, and I think it ensures Schaub will be the QB through 2014. After that though, there's no telling.

ArlingtonTexan
09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/10/schaub-gets-17-5-million-to-sign-29-5-million-over-two-years/

more contract details on Schaub

ChampionTexan
09-10-2012, 04:56 PM
So did they alter his salary for this year, because he was set to make something like 7.2 million? Going down to 4.4 this year is a significant savings, but it's offset by the new signing bonus.

This is a hefty contract, and I think it ensures Schaub will be the QB through 2014. After that though, there's no telling.

Yeah, not counting the roster bonuses in the final three years, it's a 5-year $66.15 million with $59 Million being new money, and $7.15 being previously committed money.

badboy
09-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Per Rotoworld:

2012 cap hit is $750,000 more than 2012 cap hit under previous contract.Thanks for posting. A very good contract. CT since my head is spinning from an inner ear infection, could you tally what it will cost IF Matt is cut after 2013 or 14? I know the bonus pro-rated would be forced into the "cut year" but I'm thinking about $7m if cut after 2014. If true this is an amazing contract for a QB fitting our O scheme so well.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 06:24 PM

So we're paying him $10+M/yr. Is that elite QB money still?

Looking at that & figuring $4.3M/yr prorated bonus money, we'll take a $12.9M hit after 2013 if we decide his time is done, or take a $14M hit to keep him as a "veteran back-up"

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 06:47 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/10/schaub-gets-17-5-million-to-sign-29-5-million-over-two-years/

more contract details on Schaub

"So it’s a two-year, $29.15 million deal, with a year-to-year option on the rest."

badboy
09-10-2012, 06:50 PM
So we're paying him $10+M/yr. Is that elite QB money still?

Looking at that & figuring $4.3M/yr prorated bonus money, we'll take a $12.9M hit after 2013 if we decide his time is done, or take a $14M hit to keep him as a "veteran back-up"Not my read as after '14 salary not guaranteed only the bonus which would be pushed into the year cut as I said earlier post if I'm correct.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Not my read as after '14 salary not guaranteed only the bonus which would be pushed into the year cut as I said earlier post if I'm correct.

That's what I'm saying. We won't pay his salary, but we'll take a hit for three years of remaining prorated bonus... $4.3 (2014) + $4.3 (2015) + $4.3 (2016) = $12.9M

If he plays, his salary plus $4.3 = $14.something Million

ChampionTexan
09-10-2012, 07:46 PM
That's what I'm saying. We won't pay his salary, but we'll take a hit for three years of remaining prorated bonus... $4.3 (2014) + $4.3 (2015) + $4.3 (2016) = $12.9M

If he plays, his salary plus $4.3 = $14.something Million

His prorated bonus is $3.5 Million/year ($17.5 Million/5 years) starting in 2012.

infantrycak
09-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I love it. Dude just signed an extension and folks are figuring when to cut him and how much it will cost.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 08:14 PM
I love it. Dude just signed an extension and folks are figuring when to cut him and how much it will cost.

.... not exactly, just trying to figure out how "good" the contract is, how comitted we are. But at 4 years, looks like we're in for the duration.

badboy
09-10-2012, 08:20 PM

If he plays, his salary plus $4.3 = $14.something MillionYeah I got it now. We are on same page. I think he can earn his way thru '14. Plus allows time for Smith to look for a QB to groom if Keenum doesn't work. Plus allows 3 years to discover if Yates will be a successor.

badboy
09-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I love it. Dude just signed an extension and folks are figuring when to cut him and how much it will cost.Proactive thinking rather than reactionary. We can appreciate the worth of a player and still plan for "life after".

Goldensilence
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM

So you think he's going to play out the entire contract?

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2012, 11:47 AM
So you think he's going to play out the entire contract?

I expect him to get another extension before it's all said and done. I expect Schaub to be our QB for another 6-7 years.

Dutchrudder
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Going by salary, Schaub is 7th in average money over the length of the remaining contract. Going by guaranteed money at the time of signing, Matt is 12th. Not too bad considering we all think he's in the 2nd/3rd tier of starting QBs. He's only slightly ahead of guys like Romo, Sanchez, Big Ben and Bradford. I think putting it in this perspective, it looks like a fair deal based on his proven capability. Maybe a little high due to his injury risk, but still a fair amount for a franchise QB.

Drew Brees - 5 years $100,000,000 - Signing Bonus $37,000,000 - Average Salary $20,000,000 - $40 million guaranteed

Peyton Manning - 5 years $96,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 - Average Salary $19,200,000 - If 2013 physical is passed, $40 million guaranteed

Michael Vick 5 years $80,000,000 - Signing Bonus $7,000,000 Other Bonuses $8,000,000 Average Salary $16,000,000 - $32.5 million guaranteed

Tom Brady 5 years $78,500,000 - Signing Bonus $16,000,000 Other Bonuses $9,100,000 Average Salary $15,700,000 $48.5 million guaranteed

Eli Manning 7 years $106,900,000 - Signing Bonus $13,000,000 Average Salary $15,271,429 - $35 million guaranteed

Philip Rivers 7 years $98,250,000 - Signing Bonus $19,550,000 Average Salary $14,035,714 - $38.5 million guaranteed

Matt Schaub - 5 years $66,150,000 - Signing Bonus $17,500,000 - Other Bonuses $3,000,000 - Average Salary $13,230,000 - $29.15 million guaranteed

Sam Bradford - 6 years $78,000,000 - Signing Bonus 18,000,000 - Average Salary $13,000,000 - $50 million guaranteed

Ben Roethlisberger 8 years $102,000,000 Signing Bonus $25,200,000 - Other Bonuses $lots Average Salary 12,750,000 - $33.2 million guaranteed

Matt Stafford - 6 years $72,000,000 - Signing Bonus $17,400,000 - Average Salary $12,000,000 - $41.75 million guaranteed

Mark Sanchez 5 years $58,250,000 - Signing Bonus $8,000,000 - Other Bonuses $6,500,000 Average Salary $11,650,000 $20.5 million guaranteed

Tony Romo - 6 years $67,400,000 - Signing Bonus $11,500,000 - Average Salary $11,233,333 - $30 million guaranteed

Matt Ryan 6 years 62 million Signing Bonus $7,500,000 Other Bonuses $7,400,000 - Average Salary $11,000,000 34 million guaranteed

Aaron Rodgers - 6 years $65,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 - Average Salary $10,833,333 - $20 million guaranteed

Carson Palmer - 4 years $43,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 - Average Salary $10,750,000 - Guaranteed ???

Matt Cassel 6 years $63,000,000 - Signing Bonus $0 Average Salary $10,500,000 $28 million guaranteed

Jay Cutler - 5 years $49,770,000 - Signing Bonus $7,000,000 - Average Salary $9,954,000 - $20 million guaranteed

badboy
09-11-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm more thrilled at the structure of the deal. I have to give Rick Smith and Chris Olsen a big thumbs up. There appears to be few options if Schaub not resigned.

ChampionTexan
09-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Going by salary, Schaub is 7th in average money over the length of the remaining contract. Going by guaranteed money at the time of signing, Matt is 12th. Not too bad considering we all think he's in the 2nd/3rd tier of starting QBs. He's only slightly ahead of guys like Romo, Sanchez, Big Ben and Bradford. I think putting it in this perspective, it looks like a fair deal based on his proven capability. Maybe a little high due to his injury risk, but still a fair amount for a franchise QB.

Nice post - thanks for the info.

Sometime before the start of next season, Joe Flacco will sign a contract that will push Matt further down the list of highest paid QB's. Not too long after that, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, and Jay Cutler will likely do the same.

ObsiWan
09-12-2012, 04:39 AM

Thanks for the listing. Puts the new contract in perspective.

...are you sure P.M. didn't get ANY sort of signing bonus? That seems unusual.

oh and repped btw.

Dutchrudder
09-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the listing. Puts the new contract in perspective.

...are you sure P.M. didn't get ANY sort of signing bonus? That seems unusual.

oh and repped btw.

Yeah, his contract is the outlier. The first year's salary is guaranteed (18 million), then the next 40 million is guaranteed if he passes a physical next offseason. So really, it's up to 58 guaranteed, but it's all salary. The design was to protect the team from injury, but to reward Peyton if he can stay healthy. Considering how rich he already is, I don't think he cared about getting a signing bonus.

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm more thrilled at the structure of the deal. I have to give Rick Smith and Chris Olsen a big thumbs up. There appears to be few options if Schaub not resigned.

Can you explain a little more about this, I'm not seeing how the structure benefits the team in the event Matt Can't play it out.

badboy
09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Can you explain a little more about this, I'm not seeing how the structure benefits the team in the event Matt Can't play it out.Sure, as reported the contract guarantees Matt $29 million. Probably helps to ignore the total deal of $66m for now. He gets bonus upfront $17.5m that is in his pocket now and part of that guarantee. 2012 base salary $4.4 (which is lower than the $7m he was scheduled to get) gives him $17.5 + 4.4 = $21.9m by end of this season + 2013 $7.25m = $29million guaranteed. The next three '14, '15 & '16 not guaranteed. If Smith decides to cut him, no salary owed for any of those years. The $17.5 bonus as explained in earlier posts is divided by the 5 year length of new deal including '12= $3.5m per year for team cap purposes. If cut after 2014, he gets no $ and the remaining years of bonus & for cap purposes it all applies to the next season in full. If he gets cut before game one 2014 for example or three seasons early, $3.5 times 3 remaining years or 10.5m goes against 2014 cap rather than his 2014 salary of $10m + $3.5 bonus = $13.5m cap. About $3m savings to cap but huge savings on salaries.

ckhouston
09-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I expect him to get another extension before it's all said and done. I expect Schaub to be our QB for another 6-7 years.

:toropalm:

leebigeztx
09-14-2012, 02:21 AM
As with all these nfl contracts, its the g-money. 24m is solid for schaub and texans especially when brees got 60m g money. Its probably a deal the texans can get out of in 3 yrs if we include this season. Good deal on both fronts.

PockyAF
09-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Last September, the Texans opted after only one game to give Matt Schaub a long-term contract. He pocketed $22 million in 2012, and the question after the season will become whether the Texans want to throw good money after a suddenly bad player.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, the cap hit becomes somewhat manageable after the 2013 season. If the Texans designate Schaub as a post-June 1 cut, the cap charge in 2014 would be $3.5 million. In 2015, $7 million in dead money would apply.

The Texans also would avoid paying Schaub $10 million next season by cutting him, along with another $1 million in total per-game roster bonuses.

While it’s debatable whether T.J. Yates or Case Keenum would be as good as Schaub, either guy would be a better choice on a dollar-for-dollar basis. They each will make less than 10 percent next year of Schaub’s scheduled pay in 2014.

One of them could be in line for a raise, as soon as next season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/30/texans-can-escape-schaubs-contract-after-the-season/

The Texans have been criticized a lot recently for the four-year extension they gave Schaub last year on the eve of the 2012 season opener that totaled $69.7 million. Here's what I found while examining his contract:

The deal averages $15.5 million per year, with a $17.5 million signing bonus. It guarantees Schaub's base salary of $7.25 million this year. Between the signing bonus, this year's base, last year's base and a few workout bonuses, the Texans will have paid Schaub about $29.7 million of that contract by the end of this season.

If they decide Schaub isn't part of their future, they don't have to pay him one cent more. Schaub's 2014, 2015 and 2016 bases aren't guaranteed and in each of those seasons he has a roster bonus that pays him $1 million total if he's active for 16 games. That's $40 million the Texans would not be on the hook for if they didn't want to be.

Whether they will or not will depend on how Schaub plays the rest of this season. As I've been writing, I don't see his performances so far as evidence that the Texans should move on from him.

From J.R on clutchfans (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=244580)

bOODRO87
09-30-2013, 06:27 PM
In Week 1, The Houston Texans destroyed the Miami Dolphins in one of the most defensive-dominated games in the young team's history..

"Hey Matt, we know you just had major foot surgery and this was only the first week.. Ah heck, here's a 60 million dollar deal."

And I actually fooled myself into thinking maybe this was a good idea when the news broke. NOPE.

Lurvinator11
09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
The extension was done before the game. They just announced it after the game was over.

Nawzer
09-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I just read the thread title and almost had a heart attack! Thank the invisible man in the sky that this is an old thread!

ATXtexanfan
09-30-2013, 06:49 PM
I hated this move and still do.

thunderkyss
09-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Still, with the money doled out to Flacco, Romo, & Ryan... I can't fault the Texans for the deal they gave Matt. He can stink it up the rest of the year, compared to those contracts, I'd do it all over again.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Hey look, another McNair blamer guy

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 11:48 AM
just reading some these posts, its no wonder why guys like Marciano, Schaub, and Kubiak keep getting extensions, our fans are just like Bob Mcnair.

just reading this post. No wonder some people think we've got the dumbest fans in the NFL.

:dmbmtrfkrpalm:

Thorn
10-01-2013, 12:00 PM
just reading some these posts, its no wonder why guys like Marciano, Schaub, and Kubiak keep getting extensions, our fans are just like Bob Mcnair.

You quoted me on a post I made a year ago? LOL

Circumstances have changed just a tad since then you know.

Showtime100
10-01-2013, 12:05 PM

I'm not just picking on a noob because he's new, but the tradition continues with the folks new to the board calling out people left and right. You can see it all over the place this week. I will never understand that crap.

EDIT: Also, everytime I see this thread I think they signed him again!!!! :eek:

Thorn
10-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm not just picking on a noob because he's new, but the tradition continues with the folks new to the board calling out people left and right. You can see it all over the place this week. I will never understand that crap.

As the Texans get more media attention, either good or bad, more folks will show up here, some of them inevitability a tad trollish.

Scooter
10-01-2013, 12:17 PM
i take it back. i take it all back! :cry2:

Malloy
10-01-2013, 04:09 PM

Come on man, you're too old to change!

HJam72
10-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Chances are this guy was singing Schaub's praises a year ago too; he just wasn't typing it, at least not here & under the same name.

I'm not so sure that Schaub is incapable of putting this crap behind him. We just had 2 QBs in the Superbowl that didn't look half as good as him this time a year ago. I think he was just a little too careless against other teams & was trying too hard when he screwed the pooch against Seattle. It's severely frustrating, but it's not like he just can't move the chains.

We came into this game expecting to get blown out & our D nearly pulled off the win. I'm still proud of the team.

EllisUnit
10-01-2013, 08:24 PM

EDIT: Also, everytime I see this thread I think they signed him again!!!! :eek:

They did, didnt ya hear they wanted to give him a boost in confidence, you think they could of found better ways :kitten:

thunderkyss
10-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm not so sure that Schaub is incapable of putting this crap behind him. We just had 2 QBs in the Superbowl that didn't look half as good as him this time a year ago. I think he was just a little too careless against other teams & was trying too hard when he screwed the pooch against Seattle. It's severely frustrating, but it's not like he just can't move the chains.

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I still think Matt's going to hit his career numbers. Over 4000 yards, high 20s, low 30s TDs & somewhere around 15 Ints.

He's already thrown 6, leaving 9 for the rest of the year. Maybe 10

But that's almost an interception a game. Should that be ok? I wouldn't have a problem with that if we were talking high 30s low 40s TDs, but that's not gonna happen.

Bulls on Parade
10-03-2013, 01:46 PM
It wasn't that bad of a deal was it? I read the other day that if the Texans were to release Matt Schaub after the June 1 cuts next off-season, they would only take a $3.5 million cap hit in 2014 and a $7 million cap hit in 2015, along with saving $10 million of base salary in 2014. They would also be off the hook for his 2015 and 2016 base salary which is $12.5 million and $14.5 million.

That's not as bad as I thought it would be. If the Texans' front office decides to go in another direction they will certainly have that option during the upcoming off-season (after June 1). So that would give them plenty of time to make other arrangements in April's draft and even in free agency, if they want to bring in more quarterbacks to look at.

If Matt Schaub is ultimately replaced, it's likely to be after June 1. That being said, I'm still supporting him as a fan and I want to see him succeed and lead this team to the Super Bowl. But I no longer feel optimistic about that happening. He would have to start playing a lot better and making smarter decisions. He's still making rookie mistakes and he's 32 years old, in year number seven with the Texans.

badboy
10-03-2013, 03:57 PM
It wasn't that bad of a deal was it? I read the other day that if the Texans were to release Matt Schaub after the June 1 cuts next off-season, they would only take a $3.5 million cap hit in 2014 and a $7 million cap hit in 2015, along with saving $10 million of base salary in 2014. They would also be off the hook for his 2015 and 2016 base salary which is $12.5 million and $14.5 million.

That's not as bad as I thought it would be. If the Texans' front office decides to go in another direction they will certainly have that option during the upcoming off-season (after June 1). So that would give them plenty of time to make other arrangements in April's draft and even in free agency, if they want to bring in more quarterbacks to look at.

If Matt Schaub is ultimately replaced, it's likely to be after June 1. That being said, I'm still supporting him as a fan and I want to see him succeed and lead this team to the Super Bowl. But I no longer feel optimistic about that happening. He would have to start playing a lot better and making smarter decisions. He's still making rookie mistakes and he's 32 years old, in year number seven with the Texans.Any prorated bonus ($3.5 m due '14, '15 & '16 = $10.5 m) is moved up to next upcoming season. In other words if cut after 2013, his entire $10.5 million prorated is counted as cap figure for 2014. His misc. bonuses are not counted. His 2014 cap hit was to be $14.5 m. $14.5 - $10.5 = $ 4 m savings to cap for 2014.

I do not expect that to happen. However, if not on roster after 2014, there is a savings of $10 m and by then Team should have better read on Yates and Keenum. The issue with this is the latter are FAs again after 2014.

My hope was to cut/trade MS, trade Yates prior to trade deadline 2014 and Keenum starts with new contract.

thunderkyss
10-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Any prorated bonus ($3.5 m due '14, '15 & '16 = $10.5 m) is moved up to next upcoming season. In other words if cut after 2013, his entire $10.5 million prorated is counted as cap figure for 2014. His misc. bonuses are not counted. His 2014 cap hit was to be $14.5 m. $14.5 - $10.5 = $ 4 m savings to cap for 2014.

I do not expect that to happen. However, if not on roster after 2014, there is a savings of $10 m and by then Team should have better read on Yates and Keenum. The issue with this is the latter are FAs again after 2014.

My hope was to cut/trade MS, trade Yates prior to trade deadline 2014 and Keenum starts with new contract.

Unless he's designated a June 1st cut, then his cap hit will be spread over the 2014 & 2015 season. $14.5/2 = $7.25M which would free up $7.25M towards the cap.

Regardless, when you consider the size of the contracts & guaranteed money paid to comparable QBs in the 2013 off-season, it's a great deal. Romo, Flacco, Ryan.... $100M. None of them better than Schaub. Comparable, Flacco's got a ring & played lights out in the play-offs..... but not a better QB than Schaub.

klockWork
10-03-2013, 04:35 PM
Will someone please edit this thread! I nearly threw my phone against a wall thinking this was just news.