PDA

View Full Version : Although we won.....

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 03:04 PM
I have some major concerns.

Run Offense

Run Defense

I gotta say this is the least impressed i have been with our offense in a while, i want to see us dominate the run game like we have the past 2 seasons. This needs to be fixed.

Thorn
09-09-2012, 03:07 PM
They beat a team there were supposed to beat by 20 points. You can't look good all four quarters. I'm OK for now, but I'm also concerned with the run defense. I'm gonna wait until after next Sunday to decide if I'm concerned with the run offense.

Cjeremy635
09-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Yeah, Foster & Tate both didn't look like they should.

Trindon looked way to lost & tentative out there. I was really disappointed with him.

The D had the "bend don't break" philosophy, and they pulled us out of our slump, so I can't fault them too much.

Hopefully all of the issues can be chalked up to 1st game jitters.

Showtime100
09-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I kind of lean to Ellis' take. The Texans looked ugly. We were lucky all we had to play were the Dolphins.

ATXtexanfan
09-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Dolphins were in control till the turnovers.

LikeMike
09-09-2012, 03:24 PM
Concerns? Yes. Major concerns? No. The oline may need some time to get comfortable playing with each other - and Foster didn't look bad.

Our running defense was suspect - Miami has a nice oline and Bush was doing a good job. With smith, JJ, Cody and Cushing I don't think this is an issue Wade can't fix.

So right now I'm happy and a little concerned... But more happy :smiliedance:

Texn4life
09-09-2012, 03:25 PM
It was definitely an ugly and sloppy 20 point win if there is such a thing. Trindon's issues had to do with nerves and he needs to handle that ASAP! I said in the other thread he needs to have the same sense of urgency that he had in the preseason.

We have to keep in mind though that Miami had a very respectable defense last year. Anyone expecting us to just march the ball up and down the field on them was sadly mistaken. These guys have a lot of pride and they played hard out there today. I gained a lot of respect for that Dolphin defense.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 03:26 PM
They beat a team there were supposed to beat by 20 points. You can't look good all four quarters. I'm OK for now, but I'm also concerned with the run defense. I'm gonna wait until after next Sunday to decide if I'm concerned with the run offense.

We beat one of biggest laughing stocks of the NFL. Our 1st Q was pathetic. Our 2nd half left me asking if we weren't looking a team that was backing into their shells to protect a lead.........a tactic you might more appropriately see against Super Bowl contenders. We as a supposed Super Bowl contender has no business even thinking of backing off the pedal against a weenie team like the Phins. Of course, unthinkably, the explanation could be that it wasn't purposeful by design...........simply that the 1st Q Texans O and D decided to make an encore appearance.

fiasco west
09-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Agreed.

Difference is great teams win games like this and the Texans did. There are not going to be many weeks where the Texans play great in all facets of the game.

TheMatrix31
09-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Lots to work on, but I'm not overly concerned.

Gotta make sure the run game works well. Most important thing is blocking.

Corrosion
09-09-2012, 03:37 PM
I was wondering myself about the run game .... but the Fish have a couple solid DT's.

Are they as good up front as they showed today against the Texans or were the Texans a bit off ??

Showtime100
09-09-2012, 03:40 PM
The 2nd half did give me comfort. I'm glad we played that bad and still got the W. I just hope the players and coaches are aware of how lucky they are.

Next week has got to be better....a lot better.

1-0 baby! AFC South leaders!

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Another thing that dissapointed me was the lack of use of Jean and Martin. Our passing game looked great, AJ and O.D tore it up BUT i think we can be so much better with A.J, Jean and Martin on the field.

I will give Walter credit he did draw that PI call in the endzone but Jean is a good talent which we saw on his (Should of been TD reception).

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 03:51 PM
It's not that we burned up the run game in any way.

Foster 26 carries for 79 yds ( 3. 4 ypc)

Tate 5 carries for 6 yds

And, the Phins' Oline is so great that they allowed us only Three total sacks if I remember correctly??

phantom17
09-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I agree- lots of work to do. ST, Run O, Run D, & lame conservative play calling. Happy 2 see AJ & Matt out there, now HOPING they will be injury free! Watt=BEAST!:spin:

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Damn we had a 2.4 Yards per rush today. Damn thats bad. Even the left side of the line was getting blown up.

Happy old AJ is back though 118 yards and 1 TD :)

Honoring Earl 34
09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Miami has Mike Sherman who helped get Miami as prepared as any team is gonna be this season and lost by 20 .

The Texans were knocking the rust of some major players today .

The Texans are still breaking in an OL and Miami's run defense is no slouch .

Lurvinator11
09-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I liked the Turnovers, but we do need to pick up our ****. I hope they really address it this week. We won't beat the Jags if we play like how we did to start out.

2slik4u
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM

Run Offense

Run Defense

I gotta say this is the least impressed i have been with our offense in a while, i want to see us dominate the run game like we have the past 2 seasons. This needs to be fixed.

would you say its the worst you've seen them play since last season???

You know, since its been awhile since they've played football...

Thorn
09-09-2012, 04:09 PM
As to the run defense, we'll find out a whole lot next Sunday against MJD. Jacksonville took a mediocre Vikings team into overtime today.

Hervoyel
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
We beat one of biggest laughing stocks of the NFL. Our 1st Q was pathetic. Our 2nd half left me asking if we weren't looking a team that was backing into their shells to protect a lead.........a tactic you might more appropriately see against Super Bowl contenders. We as a supposed Super Bowl contender has no business even thinking of backing off the pedal against a weenie team like the Phins. Of course, unthinkably, the explanation could be that it wasn't purposeful by design...........simply that the 1st Q Texans O and D decided to make an encore appearance.

Gary is always going to be the guy who gets up by whatever lead he thinks he can protect and then hang on to it. It's annoying but that's how he rolls. We just have to hope it works out. At the same time I think if you can't hold a 20 point lead against Miami and their wet behind the ears rookie QB then are you really a Super Bowl Contender?

I think he wanted to eat clock and get out of there with a win. The Texans did that. Its terribly frustrating to watch them go turtle like that but I don't think that's going to change.

Iceman16
09-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Run Offense

Run Defense

This is 2012, you win based on passing and defending the pass / getting to the quarterback. We can't have everything. Our weakness defensively is up the middle, if anywhere. The running game is fine, the Dolphins have a good run defense. Do we look like we did last year? Of course not, we lost Eric Winston. But we'll still be able to move the ball on the ground better than most any team in the NFL.

Iceman16
09-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Turnovers that were more forced by Houston than handed over by Miami. The defense played well.

Iceman16
09-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Another thing that dissapointed me was the lack of use of Jean and Martin. Our passing game looked great, AJ and O.D tore it up BUT i think we can be so much better with A.J, Jean and Martin on the field.

I will give Walter credit he did draw that PI call in the endzone but Jean is a good talent which we saw on his (Should of been TD reception).
Jean got his shot, he pulled in a beautiful pass that should've been a called TD. Martin looked off. Dunno how many looks you're expecting when they're playing with Andre, OD, and Arian among others. They got their looks.

welsh texan
09-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Miami have a pretty good D-line, we have some new personnel on our O-line. Not going to worry too much about our running O misfiring a little, Arian wasn't 100% healthy and Tate didn't get enough carries to get going early on.

As for the run D, well Cody will never be elite but you can't be at every position, Bradie James is a lot cheaper than Demeco and we managed to resign Schaub as well as Foster partly due to money we're saving at those 2 positions. The important thing is that we know our own weakness, and teams can't simply run it up the middle on every down, they have to get outside now and then and they have to throw the ball otherwise we can cheat inside. That is when we are lethal due to turnovers, passes tipped off the line, great coverage, sack threat, and beating the rusher to the edge.

20 point win on opening day and we're winging about things, my this fanbase has matured over the last couple of years. Good to see the level of expectation being raised so high.

imatexan
09-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Bottom line:

79 rushing yards against.

30 to 10.

Dan B.
09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Bottom line:

79 rushing yards against.

30 to 10.

Yep. We won by 20, put up 400 yards of offense, and had no turnovers (a +4 ratio). I have no complaints.

cland
09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Don't forget that Miami had a top #3 defense last year...despite being terrible on offense. Their rushing attack wasn't bad either at #11. Definitely some things to clean up, but I'm pretty impressed.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 05:01 PM
If we didn't have the narrow 7 minutes of glory handed to us by our D, the outcome could have been ugly.

Bum Phillips, despite the 610 homers that interviewed him related multiple concerns all facets of the Texans game. The homers continued to try to deflect and neutralize his comments, but were anything but successful in doing so. Bum said that "it was apparent the whole team was not prepared to come out with knives sharpened."

BTW, Kubiak during the post game interview said the he wasn't going to sleep well tonight. I'm right there with Kubiak.

Lurvinator11
09-09-2012, 05:11 PM
BTW, Kubiak during the post game interview said the he wasn't going to sleep well tonight. I'm right there with Kubiak.

I'm not chanting the sky is falling yet, but the offense HAS to play better next week. I hope Kubiak treats practice this week like they lost. I feel it will make them better..

amazing80
09-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Better fix run defense before next Sunday because MJD will not lay off the pedal. Im not sure what the deal is with rushes up the middle, dare I say Demeco Ryans?

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 05:13 PM
This just didnt have the same fill to it as last season. I mean watching the offense and defense. Either that or the Dolphins D is just that damn good, and Reggie bush is just that damn good as well..........

utahmark
09-09-2012, 05:14 PM

It was 3 to 3. I'm not sure you call that being in control. They were "hanging in there".

Lurvinator11
09-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Either that or the Dolphins D is just that damn good, and Reggie bush is just that damn good as well..........

You know, we didn't really factor that in. We were so focused on their offense, we forgot about their defense. I'm not worried yet, but I do agree they could have done a lot better. I hope it gets fixed. Also, last season they had problems early with running up the middle. They got it fixed by the 5th game if I'm correct. I think we can be good still, we just need to improve on a few things.

utahmark
09-09-2012, 05:19 PM
This just didnt have the same fill to it as last season. I mean watching the offense and defense. Either that or the Dolphins D is just that damn good, and Reggie bush is just that damn good as well..........

We are not going to dominate every aspect of every game. I do think we are going to have to throw the ball a little more this year after losing the rt side of the line.

76Texan
09-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Don't care.

As long as I don't hear that there's concern on the right side of the O-line, I don't see any reason to be concerned! :fingergun:

NitroGSXR
09-09-2012, 05:30 PM
You guys are funny with the contradiction of "our run defense sucks and our run offense sucks" stuff. This was all about clock management and the numbers show that. Take away Foster's last 11 rushes which accounted for all of ten yards and he's had himself a Reggie Bush day.

Foster 26 for 79 (15 for 69 good for a 4.6 ypc).
Reggie 14 for 69

Both did fine.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Reggie Bush has always run almost exclusively offtackle. He and the Phins staff recognized before the game from film and historic pattern the Texans long-standing woeful up-the-middle run defense deficiency and decided to temporarily turn his biggest weakness into his biggest strength.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 05:41 PM
You guys are funny with the contradiction of "our run defense sucks and our run offense sucks" stuff. This was all about clock management and the numbers show that. Take away Foster's last 11 rushes which accounted for all of ten yards and he's had himself a Reggie Bush day.

Foster 26 for 79 (15 for 69 good for a 4.6 ypc).
Reggie 14 for 69

Both did fine.

I'm not quite following this pick and choose stat (unless you remove one or two extreme outlier stats). Otherwise, you could very well present

If you remove 25 (of 26) of Foster's runs, he goes 1 for 14 yds (14 ypc)

If you remove 13 (of 14) of Reggie's runs, he goes 1 for 13 yds (13 ypc)

NitroGSXR
09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm not quite following this pick and choose stat (unless you remove one or two extreme outlier stats). Otherwise, you could very well present

There's no pick and choose here. We were running down the clock in the fourth. Foster looked good the rest of the day... just as good as Reggie did until Kubiak decided to lay down for the win.

The Medic01
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM

The Phins knew what they were going to do. They had 9-10 guys in the box and knew we were running it. I think it's fair to take away those carries to get a real picture of his play.

Nawzer
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
It wasn't a pretty win, but I'm not going to complain at this point. It's too early in the season and the objective is to play your best football in December. I'm looking at this season like an Olympic event. You want to qualify for the finals so you don't want to hit your stride too early. I think we'll be fine as long as we're healthy. The Phins have a terrible offense, but their defense is decent. Credit to them for playing us tough, but we made the plays when we had to and that's what good teams do. We're off to a good start and obviously we have room to improve which isn't a bad thing necessarily from my point of view.

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
OK i will give props i was pretty happy with the pass protection though, and with AJ and O.D looked like the OLD O.D before his 2010 injury

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
There's no pick and choose here. We were running down the clock in the fourth. Foster looked good the rest of the day... just as good as Reggie did until Kubiak decided to lay down for the win.

Totally agree. I wouldn't count Schaub's kneel downs as part of our rushing total either

BullNation4Life
09-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Didn't look good in the first half until 6 min left in 2 nd quarter. Not concerned about running game, Fish were stacking the box like crazy to the point their CBs were crashing down to help on the run. In any other case, Kubiaks calls a Bootleg and ends that nonsense.

1 down, 15 to go....

GP
09-09-2012, 06:58 PM
It was like the team forgot how to put things together until we forced those turnovers...then the floodgates opened up. Until then, we looked asleep.

I credit JJ Watt with being the guy who found a way to awake us from the slumber.

This was the first time in two years I saw Andre Johnson actively involved in a game. I have to think that even last year, pre-injury, there was something lurking there that was nagging him. Today he looked like beast AJ from start to finish. The various routes he ran were awesomely executed and called at the right times.

Same thing for Owen Daniels. James Casey had a timely catch too.

Run game looked average. Foster made his cuts. I just think the Dolphins sold out on stopping our run game, and some teams are just gonna try it on us.

Defense. I don't know why the run D was that bad, but it has to stop. Or else MJD and Jennings will have 200 yds and 3 TDs on us.

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 07:00 PM
It was like the team forgot how to put things together until we forced those turnovers...then the floodgates opened up. Until then, we looked asleep.

I credit JJ Watt with being the guy who found a way to awake us from the slumber.

This was the first time in two years I saw Andre Johnson actively involved in a game. I have to think that even last year, pre-injury, there was something lurking there that was nagging him. Today he looked like beast AJ from start to finish. The various routes he ran were awesomely executed and called at the right times.

Same thing for Owen Daniels. James Casey had a timely catch too.

Run game looked average. Foster made his cuts. I just think the Dolphins sold out on stopping our run game, and some teams are just gonna try it on us.

Defense. I don't know why the run D was that bad, but it has to stop. Or else MJD and Jennings will have 200 yds and 3 TDs on us.

Thats my thing AJ. He looked great. People say he has lost a step, but i dont see it.

Scooter
09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
if it's possible to call a 20 point win ugly, this was it. i thought the game played as it looked - an overwhelmingly talented team playing like crap. varsity team goofing off against a JV team, with only a hand full of players (watt) taking it seriously.

without those turnovers it very well may have been a route the other way. you could see it in some like schaub, who were visably frustrated with the effort and focus.

jjjezebel
09-09-2012, 08:17 PM
I also found it interesting - and a little disconcerting - watching the Defensive line late in the game when Miami was trying to get in the endzone on the Bull Pen side.

Demps and Manning were arguing over who was supposed to be where, and it looked like things were getting pretty heated. They went off the field still going at each other, even when the D. stopped the Dolphins from scoring.

And it happened again in the next series as well, to the point that one of the other guys (I think it was Reed) came over to calm things down a bit. Maybe it was a new formation, maybe it was first game jitters...but both of these guys aren't new to the team. I hope that sort of behavior was a one-off.

silvrhand
09-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Special Teams - Ugly, not sure what happened to both our blocking and trinton dropping the initial kickoff. Nerves, but later in the game blocking was horrid.

Defense, coverage looked good we are missing Demeco already James is not a replacement for Demeco in the running game for sure. Where is the penetration of our front 7 though.

Offense, running game sucked, and we went Kubiak shell mode in the 4th quarter.. can't stand that.

Overall: ugly win, we couldn't finish the dolphins in the 4th quarter, typical kubiak ugly win..

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Reggie Bush has always run almost exclusively offtackle. He and the Phins staff recognized before the game from film and historic pattern the Texans long-standing woeful up-the-middle run defense deficiency and decided to temporarily turn his biggest weakness into his biggest strength.

Nah, Bush has been running up the middle since joining the Dolphins. He is an underrated rb now, if you can believe that. He has done well with a full time starting role.

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Special Teams - Ugly, not sure what happened to both our blocking and trinton dropping the initial kickoff. Nerves, but later in the game blocking was horrid.

Defense, coverage looked good we are missing Demeco already James is not a replacement for Demeco in the running game for sure. Where is the penetration of our front 7 though.

Offense, running game sucked, and we went Kubiak shell mode in the 4th quarter.. can't stand that.

Overall: ugly win, we couldn't finish the dolphins in the 4th quarter, typical kubiak ugly win..

With the Dolphins offense we finished the dolphins before half time..........

Seasick Sailor
09-09-2012, 09:04 PM
What we saw today is what happens when a very good team believes their own hype and overlooks an opponent they believed to be beneath them. They weren't sharp. They weren't focused. They simply weren't hungry.

Great coaches and team leaders can correct this before it cost us a winnable game. Sometimes it takes a loss to snap out of it. Something will have to resharpen the edge to the sharpness that we last saw in the Tamba Bay game last year.

Buffi2
09-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I think the game started with the players believing the media who kept saying this would be one of only two games that were "sure things." The Texans played as if they thought it was going to be an automatic win.

Add to that a run game that wasn't up to par along with a run d that seemed to falter and we have Kubiak staying up most of the night. I won't stay up but I'll worry from time to time throughout the week.:fingergun:

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Nah, Bush has been running up the middle since joining the Dolphins. He is an underrated rb now, if you can believe that. He has done well with a full time starting role.

Will have to disagree. Having watched several Phins games last year, Bush would mix a handful of inside the tackles runs with his classic more successful outside the tackle runs.

TEXANRED
09-09-2012, 09:34 PM

Run Offense

Run Defense

Our run offense scored 2 TD's.

Our run defense gave up 79 yards.

Our offense scored 30 points.

What do they have to do to impress you? Light themselves on fire and walk on water? lower the beer prices at Reliant?

Bulls on Parade
09-09-2012, 09:45 PM
I don't know how concerned I am with the run defense after one game. Reggie Bush was running as well as any back in the league at the end of last season, and Jake Long is just a beast to run behind. Reggie Bush had some nice daylight running left but the Texans still kept him in check for the most part. I sort of give credit to the Dolphins run offense more so than the Texans run defense playing poorly today.

Reggie Bush's final 4 games last season, he rushed for 100 yards, 103 yards, 203 yards and 113 yards. Leading the league in rushing the final month of the season. We were facing a guy who was looking to have his 5th straight 100-yard game. Albeit the entire off-season likely cooled him off.

And yet, the Texans held Reggie Bush to 14 carries and 69 rushing yards today. 0 TDs and made him fumble once. I'd call that pretty damn good to be honest. I mean granted they held Bush to only 18 yards rushing in Week 2 last year but at that time he was nowhere near the "good back" he seems to be turning into.

I'm willing to give Miami credit for their run offense and run defense. They will be a good team in both categories all year long. It certainly didn't shock me that they did well at both today. Just too bad for Miami fans they're not going to be much more than a 6-10 team because they've got some real problems on passing offense - rookie quarterback and WRs who wouldn't even be a number three or four on a good team.

Mailman
09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
It wasn't a pretty win, but I'm not going to complain at this point. It's too early in the season and the objective is to play your best football in December. I'm looking at this season like an Olympic event. You want to qualify for the finals so you don't want to hit your stride too early. I think we'll be fine as long as we're healthy. The Phins have a terrible offense, but their defense is decent. Credit to them for playing us tough, but we made the plays when we had to and that's what good teams do. We're off to a good start and obviously we have room to improve which isn't a bad thing necessarily from my point of view.

THIS.

The game was frustrating to watch because special teams sucked, the rushing offense continually stalled, and the defense allowed Miami to move the ball early in the game at will, but despite those warts the Texans scored a convincing win on the scoreboard. From a coaching standpoint I think this might be better than a convincing win with few mistakes. If I'm Kubiak I don't want my kids thinking they can just waltz into Jacksonville next week and win.

EllisUnit
09-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Our run offense scored 2 TD's.

Our run defense gave up 79 yards.

Our offense scored 30 points.

What do they have to do to impress you? Light themselves on fire and walk on water? lower the beer prices at Reliant?

Ummm only reason they had 79 yards is cause we scored 21 points right before half. And we scored all the points off of turnovers. When it wasnt a turnover we settled for 3.

The run D would of given up MUCH more if the dolphins didnt have to play catch up the whole 2nd half.

GP
09-09-2012, 10:04 PM
if it's possible to call a 20 point win ugly, this was it. i thought the game played as it looked - an overwhelmingly talented team playing like crap. varsity team goofing off against a JV team, with only a hand full of players (watt) taking it seriously.

without those turnovers it very well may have been a route the other way. you could see it in some like schaub, who were visably frustrated with the effort and focus.

THIS ^^^^. Well said.

Schaub was a bit agitated with the guys today.

And it DID look like varsity guys goofing around and not taking a jv team seriously enough.

What we saw today is what happens when a very good team believes their own hype and overlooks an opponent they believed to be beneath them. They weren't sharp. They weren't focused. They simply weren't hungry.

Great coaches and team leaders can correct this before it cost us a winnable game. Sometimes it takes a loss to snap out of it. Something will have to resharpen the edge to the sharpness that we last saw in the Tamba Bay game last year.

And again, this ^^^^ is so true.

The thing I like about our coaching staff, the culture Gary has developed, and that Schaub and a guy like JJ Watt embrace, is that it WILL get addressed in team meetings this week. There will be a Come To Jesus session; it will be a week-long learning environment, and I suspect the team will be sharp next week in Jax.

Allstar
09-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Miami gashed in the run game last year, and we turned it around eventually. We have the same personnel, so I have faith that we can fix it again.

Norg
09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
i agree with what your saying but im just happy we won i try not to concern about things gives me wrinkles :P

but yes i guess thats why they have practices hopefully we can sure that up and get better

TEXANRED
09-09-2012, 10:16 PM
Ummm only reason they had 79 yards is cause we scored 21 points right before half. And we scored all the points off of turnovers. When it wasnt a turnover we settled for 3.

The run D would of given up MUCH more if the dolphins didnt have to play catch up the whole 2nd half.

You know what? Your right. Time to fire Phillips.

I need me some Wade Phillips pink soap stat!

GP
09-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Miami gashed in the run game last year, and we turned it around eventually. We have the same personnel, so I have faith that we can fix it again.

Yeah I forgot that. Thomas had some nasty runs against us. Looked all-world.

Corrosion
09-09-2012, 10:29 PM
I agree- lots of work to do. ST, Run O, Run D, & lame conservative play calling. Happy 2 see AJ & Matt out there, now HOPING they will be injury free! Watt=BEAST!:spin:

Play By Play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090903/2012/REG1/dolphins@texans#menu=highlights&tab=analyze&analyze=playbyplay)

I thought at times they threw too much on early downs .... and when they had incompletions , got behind on down and distance on a couple of occasions .... They never really established the running game early as eight of the first ten offensive snaps were pass plays.

The first two run's went for 5 and 6 yards ....

I wouldnt call that being overly conservative .... and they did take some shots downfield.

CloakNNNdagger
09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I don't know how concerned I am with the run defense after one game. Reggie Bush was running as well as any back in the league at the end of last season, and Jake Long is just a beast to run behind. Reggie Bush had some nice daylight running left but the Texans still kept him in check for the most part. I sort of give credit to the Dolphins run offense more so than the Texans run defense playing poorly today.

Reggie Bush's final 4 games last season, he rushed for 100 yards, 103 yards, 203 yards and 113 yards. Leading the league in rushing the final month of the season. We were facing a guy who was looking to have his 5th straight 100-yard game. Albeit the entire off-season likely cooled him off.

Last year, the Phins didn't have a rag tag and banged up line.

Rey
09-10-2012, 12:02 AM

Run Offense

Run Defense

Everyone reacting negatively to your take is wrong.

The players and coaches in that locker room feel the same way you do. If not for the herculean effort of one man this game could have looked completely different.

The fins moved the ball on us pretty good. They won the special teams match up. They played the run well for the most part and they got to schaub a couple times.

I think the dlolphins are going to be better than people think after watching them today, but still, we have some work to do.

The passing offense looked good for the most part though, so that's a plus.

But if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Period.

I think it'll happen as this was just game one. But you are right. They should take thesis win for what it is, but keep it in perspective. They out talented a worse team, but they won't always have that luxury.

Corrosion
09-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Everyone reacting negatively to your take is wrong.

The players and coaches in that locker room feel the same way you do. If not for the herculean effort of one man this game could have looked completely different.

The fins moved the ball on us pretty good. They won the special teams match up. They played the run well for the most part and they got to schaub a couple times.

I think the dlolphins are going to be better than people think after watching them today, but still, we have some work to do.

The passing offense looked good for the most part though, so that's a plus.

But if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Period.

I think it'll happen as this was just game one. But you are right. They should take thesis win for what it is, but keep it in perspective. They out talented a worse team, but they won't always have that luxury.

Their defense , especially against the run was above average .... I heard talk on one of the radio stations Friday about how good their DT's were ... possibly the best duo in the league. They didnt disappoint.

I counted at least three drops in the first quarter alone , Foster the first one , AJ had one .... I forget who the third was. (am I nitpicking ?)

JJ Watt .... is a monster.

EllisUnit
09-10-2012, 03:45 AM
You know what? Your right. Time to fire Phillips.

I need me some Wade Phillips pink soap stat!

HAHA wow taking it a little far arent you. Just stating the facts there boss. Never said Fire Phillips are that we are doomed, just saying we have some big improvments to make, since we cant play a rookie QB every week.

otisbean
09-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Last year, the Phins didn't have a rag tag and banged up line.

I'm not sure if their OL is banged up or not, but rag tag might be a bit harsh. They have 2 top 12 first round draft choices in Long and Pouncey and Jonathon Martin had a first round grade going into this year's draft. Jerry and Incognito are decent players. There's definitely some talent there.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/MIA

DexmanC
09-10-2012, 05:27 AM
Their defense , especially against the run was above average .... I heard talk on one of the radio stations Friday about how good their DT's were ... possibly the best duo in the league. They didnt disappoint.

I counted at least three drops in the first quarter alone , Foster the first one , AJ had one .... I forget who the third was. (am I nitpicking ?)

JJ Watt .... is a monster.

It was "Mr. Training Camp" himself, Keshawn Martin. Dude didn't get
targeted the rest of the game for that drop on a wide-open slant.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Yep. We won by 20, put up 400 yards of offense, and had no turnovers (a +4 ratio). I have no complaints.

This is the good part. & I know as fans, that's all we should be worried about. However, I don't think it does our expectations any good to burry our heads in the sand.

First, I want to recant my statement about the defense. The defense did it's job. Yes, Reggie Bush looked like an All-Pro, but Reggie Bush isn't going to win any games for the Miami Dolphins. Maybe that was Wade's plan all along, play the pass, don't worry so much about the run... I can see it, but didn't like it from up there in the stands.

However, they never threatened to score, only putting up 3 points the whole game & staying on their side of the field for most of the game. The defense did what it was supposed to do.

As far as Miami's defense & our offense is concerned. We scored 6 points in the second half. Two trips to the redzone & two field goals. That's not going to cut it when playing Super Bowl Contenders & that's where we all think we are.

I'm not going to blame that on Gary turtling up. he called a pretty good game for the most part, things just didn't go our way. There was some turtling at the end of the game... 6 minutes remaining I think, but other than that, he was trying to score.

The team looked good on the short field & we've got the defense to thank for that. We need our special teams to do their part in that as well.

400 yards of offense... 30 points... yeah, the offense did their job
275 yards given up by the defense... only giving up 3 points. The defense did their job as well (only 6 teams did better (including the Cowboys)).

Special teams was our biggest problem.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 07:31 AM
If we didn't have the narrow 7 minutes of glory handed to us by our D, the outcome could have been ugly.

That 7 minutes neutralized their run game & put them right where we wanted them. We couldn't stop the run defensively, but the scoreboard did it's job.

It would be nice if the defense can do that every week. But they don't have to if our special teams don't keep pinning us inside our 20, I think we'll see the team we think we are.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 07:34 AM

I'm going to have to watch the game again, but I saw a lot of missed tackles in the backfield..... Brian Cushing & Quin (I think) were the main culprits. If we clean that up (& I'm sure those two will) we'll be ok.

TejasTom
09-10-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm going to have to watch the game again, but I saw a lot of missed tackles in the backfield..... Brian Cushing & Quin (I think) were the main culprits. If we clean that up (& I'm sure those two will) we'll be ok.

Cushing 7 and Quin 6 were the leading tacklers and both forced a fumble.

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 07:47 AM

Bum Phillips, despite the 610 homers that interviewed him related multiple concerns all facets of the Texans game. The homers continued to try to deflect and neutralize his comments, but were anything but successful in doing so. Bum said that "it was apparent the whole team was not prepared to come out with knives sharpened."

Yeah, it was a glorified preseason performance. Lotta work to do, lotta stuff to fix ... hope the CBA allows time to do so.

NitroGSXR
09-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Cushing 7 and Quin 6 were the leading tacklers and both forced a fumble.
I also saw a few missed tackles and I'm pretty sure Cushing was the culprit on a few of them. I don't know about Quin but I also saw McCain miss an important tackle or two.

TejasTom
09-10-2012, 08:03 AM
I also saw a few missed tackles and I'm pretty sure Cushing was the culprit on a few of them. I don't know about Quin but I also saw McCain miss an important tackle or two.

I'm sure they did, I now I was yelling "What the F are you doing?" several times.

It always feels worse while watching. Like yesterday, there were many games last year when I thought the defense is getting gashed and looks horrible. Then you see the stats. No 100 yd rusher or receiver, less than 300 yds total allowed.

NitroGSXR
09-10-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm sure they did, I now I was yelling "What the F are you doing?" several times.

It always feels worse while watching. Like yesterday, there were many games last year when I thought the defense is getting gashed and looks horrible. Then you see the stats. No 100 yd rusher or receiver, less than 300 yds total allowed.

Yup yup yup! Don't get me wrong. I am one of the few folks here who has publicly acclaimed our run stopping defense (and running game too).

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Thats my thing AJ. He looked great. People say he has lost a step, but i dont see it.

That pass he caught that put us on the 2 yard line..... that was a thing of beauty. Most of the game I was focused on the right side of the line, first because of the new guys there, then because we just couldn't get it going on the ground.

I finally had enough & decided to watch Andre. They had that #31 on him, on an island. Andre put a double move on him then accelerated up field..... thing of beauty.

eriadoc
09-10-2012, 08:20 AM
They out talented a worse team, but they won't always have that luxury.

That's my thought. Happy for the win, but not blind to the notion that yesterday could have easily been a loss if it were against a better team. Do not ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 08:23 AM

That's all part of the game. The defense only gave up 3 points. That means Miami only threatened to score once. For a team moving the ball at will, you've got to wonder where their will went if they only threatened to score once.

Bulls on Parade
09-10-2012, 08:27 AM
That's my thought. Happy for the win, but not blind to the notion that yesterday could have easily been a loss if it were against a better team. Do not ignore in victory what you would not ignore in defeat.
Agreed. We still have games left against elite teams such as the Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Lions, Bears and Broncos (in two weeks). We'll see our fair share of heartache if we don't start to show some serious improvements soon. As in, next week against the Jaguars. We should be able to spank them by 20 to 30 points if we play our A game. On the plus side, there were other strong teams who came out flat in Week 1... Saints, Lions and Eagles to name a few. At least the Texans got the "W" which is all that matters. The Lions and Eagles sneaked out wins as well. The Saints losing at home, woah baby, how did that happen? RGIII must be the real deal in Shanahan's system -- same one the Texans run.

Rey
09-10-2012, 08:31 AM
That's all part of the game. The defense only gave up 3 points. That means Miami only threatened to score once. For a team moving the ball at will, you've got to wonder where their will went if they only threatened to score once.

Huh?

Miami was in scoring position a bunch. Towards the end though they started going for it on 4th down a bunch and didn't convert any.

I think at one point they'd have only been down by 14 or so had they opted to kick field goals instead of going for it.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Like I said, I have to rewatch the game, but Cush & Quin should have been in double digits.

McCain... I was a little upset with him. He didn't look himself, on one play he went for the ball (which I normally like) & missed a tackle, but he always recovered well (& quick) & stopped a catch from becoming a big play. He may be my favorite Texan soon.

NitroGSXR
09-10-2012, 08:32 AM
What is with this "easily been a loss" nonsense people are talking about? We soundly thumped them. 30-10. We executed and capitalized on both offense and defense. Andre reeled in a super TD catch. Foster punched two in. The defense kept their eyes on that ball all day long, batting it down, causing fumbles, interceptions... They had Reggie relegated to working his weak spot (some people claim he is not good up the middle). They all did their jobs. Well too.

Jeez folks. Y'all are starting to sound like Patroit fans. They're always beating their team up, even with Super Bowls.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 08:38 AM
...next week against the Jaguars. We should be able to spank them by 20 to 30 points if we play our A game.

I hope we don't sleep on the Jags. They're going to be like Miami x3

MJD > Reggie Bush

JagsD > Miami D

Jags = AFC South, Miami = couldn't care less.

Ω

Rey
09-10-2012, 08:43 AM
What is with this "easily been a loss" nonsense people are talking about? We soundly thumped them. 30-10. We executed and capitalized on both offense and defense. Andre reeled in a super TD catch. Foster punched two in. The defense kept their eyes on that ball all day long, batting it down, causing fumbles, interceptions... They had Reggie relegated to working his weak spot (some people claim he is not good up the middle). They all did their jobs. Well too.

Jeez folks. Y'all are starting to sound like Patroit fans. They're always beating their team up, even with Super Bowls.

The three series of turnovers for the dolphins completely changed the game.

I felt like up until that point the game couldve gone either way.

I don't think anyone is saying we're doomed. Just pointing out that if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Everyone isn't going to turn the ball over on three consecutive possessions and allow us to blow the game open.

If you listen to the players and coaches they are all saying as much.

Bulls on Parade
09-10-2012, 08:47 AM
What is with this "easily been a loss" nonsense people are talking about? We soundly thumped them. 30-10. We executed and capitalized on both offense and defense. Andre reeled in a super TD catch. Foster punched two in. The defense kept their eyes on that ball all day long, batting it down, causing fumbles, interceptions... They had Reggie relegated to working his weak spot (some people claim he is not good up the middle).

Jeez folks.
I think people realize the Texans did not play anything close to their best game yesterday in all three phases of the game. Certainly not for four quarters of play. It was disappointing to me on Special Teams, a little disturbing to me on quite a few offensive drives, and good on defense for the most part. We played a rookie QB who was picked off three times. They also gave us a gift fumble that gave Andre that super TD catch you speak of. With something like 26 or so seconds left until halftime.

Heck, the scoreboard may say 30-10 but if you take away the second quarter , most notably the final 6 minutes of that quarter, with all the turnovers... The game was far too competive for my liking. Most people expected a sound victory where we would out-play them for four quarters. It turned out we dominated a 6-minute stretch of football in the second quarter. Other than that, I felt we were out-played by a so-so team at home in the first and third quarters. And we barely won the fourth quarter.

The scoreboard says it all. Dolphins win 3-0 in the 1st, they beat us 7-3 in the 3rd. We just happened to win the second quarter 24-0 and the 4th quarter 3-0. We can't expect to do that against an elite team -- certainly not expecting 4 quick turnovers playing the likes of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers as oppose to Ryan Tannehill.

I think to a man, even players on the Texans will admit they did not play their best yesterday. The only ones who can say that are J.J. Watt, Andre Johnson and a couple other guys at best. Plenty of room for improvement to say the least.

If the Texans are to win Super Bowl 47, which is what we all want to see, they'll have to put together a 60-minute performance in all three phases of the game. We are so far from seeing that but thankfully it's just Week 2 and not Week 17, aka playoff time.

I want to see a great performance against the Jaguars regardless of the score. It's more than just the score to me. I want to win by playing a good 60 minutes of football. Not 6 minutes of good football against a team that is very likely to go 6-10 at best...

HTown2ATX
09-10-2012, 08:51 AM

You can't ignore that first quarter and a half of pure putridity on both sides of the Texans. A better team would have started to build a lead on the Texans right there and we would have been the ones trying to come back. Once JJ Watt basically single handedly saved the Texans ass with all those swats for picks it was all good and then your point is true that we beat them soundly, but not before then....almost a whole half of football the Texans looked horrible.....I smashed my rose colored glasses in 2010 so I can only see in black and white right now. That 1st half could have lost the game if a better team than the Dolphins was on the field.

That being said I don't believe this to be a bad omen nor am I predicting doom and gloom...I fully expect to see this team get better and better and live up to expectations, but I can't ignore or gloss over that horrid first quarter and a half.

buddyboy
09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Run Defense: For all the "gashing" that Reggie did (even before the three quick TDs which limited their running game), they only scored 3 pts on offense. I don't know how we can complain about that; sure, some player got his stats, but to give up 3 pts and then cry about it is over the top.

Run Offense: Miami's front 7 is pretty good. And like many have said this offseason, we are a balanced team. Miami sold out to stop the run, and succeeded. But our passing game was very good and took advantage.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Huh?

Miami was in scoring position a bunch. Towards the end though they started going for it on 4th down a bunch and didn't convert any.

I think at one point they'd have only been down by 14 or so had they opted to kick field goals instead of going for it.

you're right. They were in the redzone 3 times in the second half, going for TDs & failing on downs.

NitroGSXR
09-10-2012, 09:09 AM
you're right. They were in the redzone 3 times in the second half, going for TDs & failing on downs.

I'm not only responding to you specifically...

We repeatedly stopped them when it mattered the most. I could care less where they are on the field, our 10 or their 10. They did not progress within a four set of downs enough to put points on the board.

FACT!

HOU-TEX
09-10-2012, 09:18 AM
I haven't re-watched the game yet to really focus on the trenches, but at first glance it appeared Myers and Smith had some rough times. Again, this is just my initial reaction without having seen the game again.

NitroGSXR
09-10-2012, 09:28 AM
You can't ignore that first quarter and a half of pure putridity on both sides of the Texans. A better team would have started to build a lead on the Texans right there and we would have been the ones trying to come back. Once JJ Watt basically single handedly saved the Texans ass with all those swats for picks it was all good and then your point is true that we beat them soundly, but not before then....almost a whole half of football the Texans looked horrible.....I smashed my rose colored glasses in 2010 so I can only see in black and white right now. That 1st half could have lost the game if a better team than the Dolphins was on the field.

That being said I don't believe this to be a bad omen nor am I predicting doom and gloom...I fully expect to see this team get better and better and live up to expectations, but I can't ignore or gloss over that horrid first quarter and a half.

Terrible? Really? We were only down by 3. I don't see horrid at all. Just shaking off some rust. The 1st half did NOT lose the game and that's what folks can't seem to grasp. JJ Watt had himself a monster game yesterday. Somebody else is going to have a monster game another day. That's how the game works.

I am very unhappy with special teams.

Corrosion
09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Terrible? Really? We were only down by 3. I don't see horrid at all. Just shaking off some rust. The 1st half did NOT lose the game and that's what folks can't seem to grasp. JJ Watt had himself a monster game yesterday. Somebody else is going to have a monster game another day. That's how the game works.

They may have only been down three .... but you have to factor in the competition and the rookie QB on the other side. With a little better QB play , they could have been down 10 or more.

Allstar
09-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Huh?

Wade was willing to let them dink and dunk their way down the field down 20 if it meant the clock was still running. I would take our performance in the second half with a grain of salt.

Allstar
09-10-2012, 09:44 AM
FWIW, Antonio Smith after the game:

(on the Texans performance) "First half it seemed like we were getting our feet wet. Trying to get into the flow of a real game and then the game plan cause nobody game plans each other in the preseason and they had a couple of good runs. One good run play actually that they kept running til we has to figure out what they had going, but overall I think we played a real good game."

(on RB Reggie Bush having success running) "They did a thing where they open the splits up between the center and the guard to give Reggie more space to fake like he's going outside but cut it back up inside so by the time we honed in and figure it out. There weren't that many more running yards after that."

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Terrible? Really? We were only down by 3. I don't see horrid at all. Just shaking off some rust. The 1st half did NOT lose the game and that's what folks can't seem to grasp. J

I think that is the biggest issue right there. The boys weren't ready to play & the Dolphins were. We shouldn't have that issue again.

Yesterday should have been enough to show them it's going to be a dog fight just to get back to where we were last year.

This, I think was the biggest problem on offense. Starting field position did not help us.

Speedy
09-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Texans ran 18 times to the left for 20 yards (1.1 yards per carry). 4 runs were negative yards, 4 others were no gain. Longest run, 7 yards.

Texans ran 12 times to the right for 58 yards (4.8 yards per carry). One negative yardage run and one no gain. Longest run 14 yards.

nero THE zero
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
The three series of turnovers for the dolphins completely changed the game.

I felt like up until that point the game couldve gone either way.

I don't think anyone is saying we're doomed. Just pointing out that if we are going to get where we want to go we are going to have to play better football. Everyone isn't going to turn the ball over on three consecutive possessions and allow us to blow the game open.

If you listen to the players and coaches they are all saying as much.

Those were forced turnovers. That was our defense coming in and imposing its will on the other team. It wasn't a team coughing up the ball untouched; it wasn't a QB throwing the ball right at a defender.

They didn't hand the game over to us, we took it from them.

We can (and have) do that to any team, including playoff teams. I don't really get the point of all the self deprecation. We have a good team and a great defense, and that great defense won us the game. I know it's still somewhat foreign to us, but it is what it is. Accept it. Enjoy it.

Trail.Blazr
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
The last two words in this thread's Title speaks volumes!

I get it, as I read through the various concerns of improvement that could have turned a 30-10 win into a 40-10 or 50-10...whatever. I get it.. we could have seen some better play.

From my vantage point, Week 1 games are ALWAYS scary. These two teams have had a good number of weeks to gameplan for week 1. I've thought that aspect to be a Texans advantage in years past when they were the notorious underdog. Some times, the texans layed a duece(PIT'08 or JETS'09) and sometimes it all came together(MIA'03 or Indy'10). This season, in what is the Texan's first NFL wide consensus home opener as the heavy favorite in week 1, they more than covered a 14(-ish) point spread against a team that has a known good Offensive line and a very talented Defense, who had WEEKS to prep against our beloved Texans.

Say what you will about a Defense that only allowed 3 points to post on the scoreboard.

On offense:
- Matt Schaub - 20/31 for 266, a TD and no picks with a string of 10 straight completions.
- Arian Foster - 2 TD's
- Andre Johnson - 119 yds and a TD

OVERALL - NO significant INJURIES(Cush scared me a bit)

If I would have told you those numbers on offense before the game I'd love to meet a fan who would have a "sky is falling" problem with that.

Room for improvement? sure, most could/should agree. NO team in history has played a perfect game. And after 1 week, the Texans have certainly shown they have a huge upside. If not for a special teams let down, this could have been a 30-3 win or worse.

PERSPECTIVE folks...

I personally don't want to begrudge anyone their right to panic or get ulcers whenever the Texans win or lose. Enjoy the season how you see fit.

HTown2ATX
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
PERSPECTIVE folks...

I personally don't want to begrudge anyone their right to panic or get ulcers whenever the Texans win or lose. Enjoy the season how you see fit.

I think there is a difference between panicking and parsing what actually happened in the game. Reading the box score and stats are one thing....analyzing the first quarter and a half is another.

I don't know that anyone is panicking yet....but quoting the final and score and stats is, IMO anyway, brushing over what actually happened early in the game. I don't think we can realistically expect the defense to force so many turnovers like that against actual good seasoned QB's.

Just pointing out the bottom line and ignoring what happened during the trip to the bottom line is not what the coaches are telling the players in meetings I bet.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Texans ran 18 times to the left for 20 yards (1.1 yards per carry). 4 runs were negative yards, 4 others were no gain. Longest run, 7 yards.

Texans ran 12 times to the right for 58 yards (4.8 yards per carry). One negative yardage run and one no gain. Longest run 14 yards.

I'll probably rewatch the game again tomorrow. But I know on at least one play, to the right, it looked like the red sea parting (just like it did for Foster's 14 yard TD run) but Ben Tate ran up into his OL too quick. Had he waited a sec, or cut it back, that would have been 14 yards at least.

Newton impressed yesterday.

Rey
09-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Those were forced turnovers. That was our defense coming in and impsing its will on the other team. It wasn't a team coughing up the ball untouched; it wasn't a QB throwing the ball right at a defender.

They didn't hand the game over to us, we took it from them.

You missed the point entirely. Doesn't matter if we forced the turnovers. Everyone isn't going to have a rookie QB that is so easily "forced" into turnovers.

That was not a top team we played and they were giving us all we could handle until that bad stretch of plays for them.

You can slice it any way you want, but if we want to win a SUPERBOWL, we need to work on some areas where we didn't perform all that well.

buddyboy
09-10-2012, 10:26 AM
I think there is a difference between panicking and parsing what actually happened in the game. Reading the box score and stats are one thing....analyzing the first quarter and a half is another.

I don't know that anyone is panicking yet....but quoting the final and score and stats is, IMO anyway, brushing over what actually happened early in the game. I don't think we can realistically expect the defense to force so many turnovers like that against actual good seasoned QB's.

Just pointing out the bottom line and ignoring what happened during the trip to the bottom line is not what the coaches are telling the players in meetings I bet.

Analyzing the first quarter and a half is fine. Disregarding the other 2.5 quarters based on that first 1.5 is unfair. Good teams adjust. People are pointing to one or two spots the Texans struggled, but like many have said, the Texans are one of, if not the most, balanced teams in the NFL. Struggle in one or two areas? Two more areas will take the slack. The offense struggling? Here, have 3 turnovers. Run defense struggling? Let's score some points and make them try to pass on us.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
You missed the point entirely. Doesn't matter if we forced the turnovers. Everyone isn't going to have a rookie QB that is so easily "forced" into turnovers.

That was not a top team we played and they were giving us all we could handle until that bad stretch of plays for them.

You can slice it any way you want, but if we want to win a SUPERBOWL, we need to work on some areas where we didn't perform all that well.

I think the bolded word above is the key word here.

You said it earlier, the coaches & the team knows whats up & tomorrow their not going to be talking about the drubbing they gave Miami. It's going to be more along the lines of needing to fix a lot of things before next Sunday.

For the most part, I think everyone here understands that. We're just arguing over how much we should be enjoying the win right now.

Ω

pirbroke
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Boy we sure are critiquing the heck out of our 30 to 10 win, I sure would hate to see the Miami boards and what they are writing about their team.:shades:

HTown2ATX
09-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Analyzing the first quarter and a half is fine. Disregarding the other 2.5 quarters based on that first 1.5 is unfair. Good teams adjust. People are pointing to one or two spots the Texans struggled, but like many have said, the Texans are one of, if not the most, balanced teams in the NFL. Struggle in one or two areas? Two more areas will take the slack. The offense struggling? Here, have 3 turnovers. Run defense struggling? Let's score some points and make them try to pass on us.

I don't know that I am ignoring the other quarters of the game, but I am doubting how realistically we could expect the defense to force so many turnovers over and over to turn a game around for us especially if the team is struggling against a more "legit" team and QB if you will.

My daughter and I were jumping for joy for the W yesterday and I'm pumped for the season but I guess it comes down to your personality maybe when looking at this game?? I've usually been more of the "realist" guy that looks at what went wrong first and analyzes everything. I guess if I could see it from a glass half full/everything is fine until it falls apart mentality I would feel differently.

Rey
09-10-2012, 10:36 AM

I'm glad the players and coaches aren't thinking like that.

That wasn't a top team we were facing on the road. That was an average at best Dolphins team we played at home.

If we want to win a Superbowl we should be aiming to shore up our weak spots. Not being being oblivious or satisfied because a win is a win. I haven't seen anyone panicking, but rather pointing out that we should aim for stronger play.

HTown2ATX
09-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Boy we sure are critiquing the heck out of our 30 to 10 win, I sure would hate to see the Miami boards and what they are writing about their team.:shades:

Box score is all that matters? Not what happened in that box score?

:thinking:

Maybe I should take this approach in viewing games and stop breaking down events in the game.

Trail.Blazr
09-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Parsing out, I'm on board with.. but I felt some panic in some of what I've read on this thread. Maybe it's just me translating words like "putrid" and "I'm upset with". Some call it parsing, others call it panicking.

So many, I will go along with... a little, but at the same token, trending results into expectation is bogus. This Defense will get you in so many different ways and you just won't see it coming when it does.

Spell out for us what Tannehill did that resulted in a turnover, that a "seasoned" QB would have likely avoided. To pin those picks on Tannehill as Rookie mistakes is ignoring "WATT really happened".

b0ng
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM

It's pretty good reading material while drinking coffee and doing homework in the morning :)

Everybody knew the Dolphins were going to be a laughingstock if they watched Hard Knocks and they didn't disappoint. While they might've looked like they were going to hang tough until about halfway through the second quarter, they basically pulled their own version of the Rosencopter. The Texans made the plays they needed to make on defense to make a bad team look bad. While they did abandon the run game (Like most NFL coaches probably do when down by 3 TD's) I think you have to give credit to the Texans D for holding them to a fat nothing in the second half, Dolphins 4th down attempts included.

This week, it's time to do the same thing to the Jags, and hopefully clean up the things we don't like and emphasize the things they do well. I'm worried about the Jags running game, and I hope we can do Gabbert wrong like we did last year, but I am perfectly fine with the outcome and the play of this game.

Rey
09-10-2012, 10:42 AM

Actually quite a few of their fans are feeling better about their team. They feel like their run defense is good. They think they could have been in the game had they 1) kicked field goals instead of going for it on fourth downs 2) not turned the ball over on those 3 consecutive possessions

Of course they do have a segment of their fans ready to burn down the stadium.

noxiousdog
09-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Those weren't rookie turnovers. Those were J.J. Watt is a BAAAAAAAAD man turnovers.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 10:44 AM

Not very active over there (http://www.thephins.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?3-Miami-Dolphins-Forum)today. But

DTronic said (http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?71858-The-Houston-Game-Will-Tell-Us-What&p=1846168&viewfull=1#post1846168)
Told me what I figured out at the end of 2009.

That Ireland is in WAY over his head as a GM and has no idea what a football player is. He is a stat watcher. Like Al Davis was in the last 10 years.

buddyboy
09-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm glad the players and coaches aren't thinking like that.

That wasn't a top team we were facing on the road. That was an average at best Dolphins team we played at home.

If we want to win a Superbowl we should be aiming to shore up our weak spots. Not being being oblivious or satisfied because a win is a win. I haven't seen anyone panicking, but rather pointing out that we should aim for stronger play.

Please point out to me where I said anything that you mentioned above.

2012Champs
09-10-2012, 10:54 AM
The last two words in this thread's Title speaks volumes!

I get it, as I read through the various concerns of improvement that could have turned a 30-10 win into a 40-10 or 50-10...whatever. I get it.. we could have seen some better play.

From my vantage point, Week 1 games are ALWAYS scary. These two teams have had a good number of weeks to gameplan for week 1. I've thought that aspect to be a Texans advantage in years past when they were the notorious underdog. Some times, the texans layed a duece(PIT'08 or JETS'09) and sometimes it all came together(MIA'03 or Indy'10). This season, in what is the Texan's first NFL wide consensus home opener as the heavy favorite in week 1, they more than covered a 14(-ish) point spread against a team that has a known good Offensive line and a very talented Defense, who had WEEKS to prep against our beloved Texans.

Say what you will about a Defense that only allowed 3 points to post on the scoreboard.

On offense:
- Matt Schaub - 20/31 for 266, a TD and no picks with a string of 10 straight completions.
- Arian Foster - 2 TD's
- Andre Johnson - 119 yds and a TD

OVERALL - NO significant INJURIES(Cush scared me a bit)

If I would have told you those numbers on offense before the game I'd love to meet a fan who would have a "sky is falling" problem with that.

Room for improvement? sure, most could/should agree. NO team in history has played a perfect game. And after 1 week, the Texans have certainly shown they have a huge upside. If not for a special teams let down, this could have been a 30-3 win or worse.

PERSPECTIVE folks...

I agree 100%

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
My daughter and I were jumping for joy for the W yesterday...

Funny thing. I took my middle daughter to the game yesterday as well. She's been to about 6 games with me so far. She was told me last year, after the Raider's game that she thinks she is bad luck, because the Texans have never won a game she attended.

Surely I thought that couldn't be right, so I quizzed her about it on the way home & sure enough, we lost every game she went to. Last week, I told her I was taking her to the Miami game. I told her there is no way we were going to lose that game. It should be a blow out.

Well, with 6 minutes left in the second quarter, Jjo intercepts Tannehill, giving us a short field for the first time in the game. We get a field goal.

So I tell my daughter, "Yup, you are definitely bad luck!!" (She's 15 so I don't think I'm scarring her for life or anything). She says, "I know right, I thought this was going to be a blow out."

Then we got the other interception, scored 7. Then another interception, scored 7 & the forced fumble (she loved that) scored 7.

24-3 at the half, she was thrilled. We didn't say anything until Matt took the final knee...... "The curse had been broken!!!"

Ω

Dread-Head
09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Before anyone starts getting sized for Superbowl rings, it was ONLY the first game of the season. There are 17 more. It was against a new coach and a rookie QB. Let's watch them play a few more games before we get excited.

nero THE zero
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM

I got your point. I just disagree with your perspective. I'm not into making excuses for my team winning.

b0ng
09-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Before anyone starts getting sized for Superbowl rings, it was ONLY the first game of the season. There are 17 more. It was against a new coach and a rookie QB. Let's watch them play a few more games before we get excited.

While I agree on the whole I still think we can be excited about winning our home opener. I haven't seen anybody saying we're going to the big game because we made a guy who had concerns about balls being sWATTed in college throw a lot sWATTed balls.

pirbroke
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Texans have played plenty of games in last 10 years where they looked ok but always found a way to lose. It's just nice to have the normal off game that all teams have and still win, heck win big. I thought we were better than Baltimore in playoffs, turnovers are of course a huge part of the game.
The way this team plays I think the turnover ratio will have a great chance of being one of the highest ever and by no accident. At least if Matt Schaub stays healthy.

Rey
09-10-2012, 11:04 AM
I got your point. I just disagree with your perspective. I'm not into making excuses for my team winning.

There is nothing to disagree with, again proving you have missed the point. This isn't an argument or a debate....well, unless you feel like the Texans played a perfect game.... Saying you disagree with my perspective makes 0 sense. You disagree that there are areas that we can improve in?

This is a thread that was started to discuss where we can improve. If you don't want to discuss that or think we played a perfect game and have no room for improvement, then why come in here?

You believe that because we won our shortcomings shouldn't be discussed. Well then, stop discussing it. It's that easy.

escrimador
09-10-2012, 11:13 AM
on the bright side, we're not complaining about red zone woes

76Texan
09-10-2012, 11:18 AM

Actually, Bush was 16 for 65 yards for an average of 4ypc.

We accepted 2 holding penalties on 2 running plays where we had Bush at negative 2 yards each time.

76Texan
09-10-2012, 11:25 AM
FWIW, Antonio Smith after the game:

(on the Texans performance) "First half it seemed like we were getting our feet wet. Trying to get into the flow of a real game and then the game plan cause nobody game plans each other in the preseason and they had a couple of good runs. One good run play actually that they kept running til we has to figure out what they had going, but overall I think we played a real good game."

(on RB Reggie Bush having success running) "They did a thing where they open the splits up between the center and the guard to give Reggie more space to fake like he's going outside but cut it back up inside so by the time we honed in and figure it out. There weren't that many more running yards after that."

When they double-teamed one of our interior guys (Watt looked bad on a couple plays there), the LBs need to get to their gap sooner or not to overplay their gap assignment (both Cushing and James executed poorly several times - Cushing 4 times and James twice by my count.)

NBT
09-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Miami defense did finish 5th in rush defense last, and Kubiak did epitomize the word "conservative" in this game.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Miami defense did finish 5th in rush defense last, and Kubiak did epitomize the word "conservative" in this game.

& we were 4th, Reggie Bush still ran through us like a fish through water.

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
& we were 4th, Reggie Bush still ran through us like a fish through water.

For about the same average that we gave up last season.

Thorn
09-10-2012, 12:14 PM
LOL. We are aruging more about a win than we normally do a loss.

I suspect thats because of the high expectations we have for this year. It's one thing to HOPE the Texans do well, which we did for the first 10 years, but it's quite another to EXPECT them to do well, which we do this year.

infantrycak
09-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Doesn't matter if we forced the turnovers. Everyone isn't going to have a rookie QB that is so easily "forced" into turnovers.

No we will not get that many turnovers every game. Having said that I think the QB being a rookie was irrelevant. Watt had a track record in college of batting balls down. Unless you are claiming veteran QB's are just not going to throw to Watt's side of the field his being a rookie made no difference.

Rey
09-10-2012, 12:38 PM
No we will not get that many turnovers every game. Having said that I think the QB being a rookie was irrelevant. Watt had a track record in college of batting balls down. Unless you are claiming veteran QB's are just not going to throw to Watt's side of the field his being a rookie made no difference.

I know watts track record, but there are things a vet qb will do to combat having THAT many batted balls. Matt schaub touched on it this morning on the radio. Pump faking is an option.

And Tim Jamison got a batted ball too.

Are you saying that if watt was on the other team and schaub had that Many passes batted and picked you wouldn't think schaub or the offense couldn't have made any adjustments?

You think any good veteran qb would have had all those balls batted at the line like that?

Even if you think that a vet qb wouldn't have adjusted, you already said you don't think we'll have that situation occur again. Regardless of the reasoning, that was my main point.

Vinny
09-10-2012, 12:39 PM
My concerns center on Cushing being the only dominant player inside, so he isn't going to be the player he was last year since teams can spend more time on him instead of both inside backers and the fact that we seem to have two strong side linebackers in Barwin and Reed and no real true weakside guy till Whitney Mercilus is ready to play full time. Perhaps not as much 'concerns' than nitpicks.

nero THE zero
09-10-2012, 12:40 PM

Yep. Don't really get the purpose of marginalizing the doings of our playmakers.

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2012, 12:49 PM
As I mentioned during the game, Tannehill was consistently throwing at the D's eye and head level. There seemed to be no attempt to arc his balls or throw his passes from a high take off.

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Interesting I haven't seen anyone mention the booing. There were some fans whining about it on the Texans FB page, but I thought it fired them up. Texans fans normally being rabidly supportive, boo'd the team when it stalled and settled for 3 and they are getting tired of it. The booing was followed by 21 points off of 3 consecutive turnovers...I'd say it was effective.

Rey
09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Yep. Don't really get the purpose of marginalizing the doings of our playmakers.

You're reading what you want to read.

Part of being a playmaker is being able to capitalize when your opponent makes mistakes or is slightly off in what they're doing.

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Interesting I haven't seen anyone mention the booing. There were some fans whining about it on the Texans FB page, but I thought it fired them up. Texans fans normally being rabidly supportive, boo'd the team when it stalled and settled for 3 and they are getting tired of it. The booing was followed by 21 points off of 3 consecutive turnovers...I'd say it was effective.

Correlation is not necessarily causation but they definitely stepped it up after that.

Rey
09-10-2012, 12:57 PM

Kubiak talked about it on the radio and said he was disturbed that they had first and goal at the 1 and couldn't punch it in.

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Kubiak talked about it on the radio and said he was disturbed that they had first and goal at the 1 and couldn't punch it in.

He needs to be disturbed. He should consider his job on the line at all times from here on out.

LOL, the people I was watching the game with joked saying they were chanting, "KUUUUUBES"

2012Champs
09-10-2012, 12:59 PM

Certainly nothing new to this team though it has been somewhat of a problem the last couple of years

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Certainly nothing new to this team though it has been somewhat of a problem the last couple of years

I think the players know it is what it is. You perform well and Reliant is one of the best places in the league for you to call home. Perform below expectations, and you will pay for it.

Texas, moreover, Houston is a conservative place, we don't accept mediocrity so easily like liberals do.

2012Champs
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I think the players know it is what it is. You perform well and Reliant is one of the best places in the league for you to call home. Perform below expectations, and you will pay for it.

Texas, moreover, Houston is a conservative place, we don't accept mediocrity so easily like liberals do.

Im not sure how any of your political talk fits into the fact that the texans have had a tough time from 1st and goal from the 1 yard line for the last couple of years.

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2012, 01:12 PM
As a fan, you want complete and total domination from beginning to end. You want your offense to march down the field and score nothing but touchdowns and you want your defense to force nothing but 3 and outs or turnovers.

But even in a lot of routs and blow-outs, that's not the way it usually happens. Even dominant defenses give up some yardage and some points. Even potent offenses don't score all the time.

We beat a team by 20 points. We didn't surrender 80 yards on the ground. We forced turnovers. We didn't surrender a single defensive TD and only 3 defensive points. We won the time of possession battle and the turnover battle. Our QB was efficient.

We've got things that we can improve on offense and defense but lets take a little time to savor this victory. The team can't take that time to feel good about itself. The team needs to see all those flaws that a better team might have been able to take advantage of and address them. But we fans need to enjoy the ride a bit more, I think.

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Im not sure how any of your political talk fits into the fact that the texans have had a tough time from 1st and goal from the 1 yard line for the last couple of years.

LOL, talking politics on another board, so it seemed like a relavent comparison at the time...

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 01:21 PM
As a fan, you want complete and total domination from beginning to end. You want your offense to march down the field and score nothing but touchdowns and you want your defense to force nothing but 3 and outs or turnovers.

But even in a lot of routs and blow-outs, that's not the way it usually happens. Even dominant defenses give up some yardage and some points. Even potent offenses don't score all the time.

We beat a team by 20 points. We didn't surrender 80 yards on the ground. We forced turnovers. We didn't surrender a single defensive TD and only 3 defensive points. We won the time of possession battle and the turnover battle. Our QB was efficient.

We've got things that we can improve on offense and defense but lets take a little time to savor this victory. The team can't take that time to feel good about itself. The team needs to see all those flaws that a better team might have been able to take advantage of and address them. But we fans need to enjoy the ride a bit more, I think.

It was a W, and one that we got a hold of before it was too late. Are there some mistakes that need some attention? Absolutely, but every team has concerns that they pay attention to. It's knowing this that shows that we have grown as a team and an organization. Savor the victory, but also realize how easily it could have gone the other way...any. given. Sunday. Good teams continue to work and improve, and I think that's where we are at. Kubiak's pressers are even starting to sound a little different. I just wish he wasn't as conservative on Offense....can we put up 40 before we start pumping the breaks? I'm just saying :)

badboy
09-10-2012, 01:28 PM
We are not going to dominate every aspect of every game. I do think we are going to have to throw the ball a little more this year after losing the rt side of the line.

Our roster against theirs? Yeah we should pretty much dominate all aspects of the game. Sure there will be plays where their OT defeats Barwin but the first half reminds me of 2010 games as in not starting the O until after halftime.

Not saying you utah but some posters are focusing on the score rather than the players. That is a mistake and you can bet Kubes and McNair are not fooled.

gtexan02
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM

Like those mediocre Patriots fans? Texans have been the definition of mediocrity until last season :facepalm:

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Like those mediocre Patriots fans? Texans have been the definition of mediocrity until last season :facepalm:

I don't know many real Patriots fans, outside of the girls who get a Tom Brady jersey because, "he's cute"

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Three sacks for the game. Our pressure on Tannehill seemed somewhat sporadic. Thoughts?

badboy
09-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Three sacks for the game. Our pressure on Tannehill seemed somewhat sporadic. Thoughts?

Without having seen the first quarter + part of second, I think it was combination of Dolphins coming in focused and battling like an under rated boxer that knows he's got only so much in the tank and tries to knockout the champ + Texans first game nerves + Texans as the boxing champ who cannot figure out why the underrated guy will not stop dancing so he can be hit.

I do expect a more "workman" like approach next game.

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM

Dare I say we are underestimating some aspects of Miami's game? Are we possibly also, under scrutinizing the pressure of the batted passes and hurries? I think the defense was pretty good all game. They allowed 3 points. Not sure how that would be a complaint. I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball, even thought they seemed to get it going for about 6 minutes until we went into Kubiak snail mode. I'm wondering if that doesn't kill momentum going into the next game. Football players love to step on the throat of their opponent when they have them down, and it seems like GK never lets that happen.

Vinny
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Dare I say we are underestimating some aspects of Miami's game? Are we possibly also, under scrutinizing the pressure of the batted passes and hurries? I think the defense was pretty good all game. They allowed 3 points. Not sure how that would be a complaint. I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball, even thought they seemed to get it going for about 6 minutes until we went into Kubiak snail mode. I'm wondering if that doesn't kill momentum going into the next game. Football players love to step on the throat of their opponent when they have them down, and it seems like GK never lets that happen. you can call it snail mode or you can just say that being conservative and not taking chances in a game where your defense has not given up a TD is just good coaching.

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Only 2 teams got more sacks than we did. Only 1 team held their opponent to a lower QB rating than we did. Only 2 teams got more interceptions than we did.

I'd say we did OK.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 02:10 PM
My concerns center on Cushing being the only dominant player inside, so he isn't going to be the player he was last year since teams can spend more time on him instead of both inside backers and the fact that we seem to have two strong side linebackers in Barwin and Reed and no real true weakside guy till Whitney Mercilus is ready to play full time. Perhaps not as much 'concerns' than nitpicks.

I'd love for Merci to win that WOLB job. Put Connor back on the Strongside, get rid of Bradie James & stick Reed at Mo & Cushing back to Mike.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Part of being a playmaker is being able to capitalize when your opponent makes mistakes or is slightly off in what they're doing.

I don't disagree & this has nothing to do with your post...

But part of being a veteran team is capitalizing on your opponents mistakes & working through your own.

This Texans team, so far, looks like a veteran football team. We capitalized on the Dolphins mistakes & minimized our own. Wasn't too long ago that things like the Special Teams gaffs, or the run defense woes, or even the amount of missed tackles would have ate our lunch & handed a game like yesterdays to the other team.

Like the couple of passes allowed over McCain. He could have wiffed completely & those gone for long plays, but he recovered kept fighting & made a play. Two tipped balls, our guys "just happened" to be in the right place for the INT. Glover Quin (my favorite Texans) popping DT & getting that ball back.... Antonio Smith not turning some tomfollery into a personal foul.

Yeah, there were some serious issues that surfaced yesterday, but man....... I'm loving this team.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 02:19 PM

I didn't think they were booing the team. Felt more like they were booing the decision not to punch it in.... Kubiak. Until he brings us a Lombardi he's going to get more boos.

They (we... I wasn't part of the booing) loved him a little later on when he challenged the LeStar TD.

Vinny
09-10-2012, 02:26 PM
I didn't think they were booing the team. Felt more like they were booing the decision not to punch it in.... Kubiak. Until he brings us a Lombardi he's going to get more boos.

They (we... I wasn't part of the booing) loved him a little later on when he challenged the LeStar TD.
I think the fans were booing the fact that we didn't take a shot at the end zone. I admit that I wanted them to take a shot since they were playing Andre single cover so much. In the larger picture fans boo when the home team don't go for it on every 4th down too though - so I wouldn't read too much into the booing.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I just wish he wasn't as conservative on Offense....can we put up 40 before we start pumping the breaks? I'm just saying :)

I don't think Kubiak is conservative. It's usually mistakes & penalties that has Kubiak pumping the brakes, not small leads. When it rains it pours & I think Kubiak has seen that. Remember the Dallas game in Dallas. That's the one that I'm always reminded of. Defensively, offensively, we held our own. Then we had a Special Teams gaff, turned the ball over, leading to a quick score. Then it was two more turnovers back to back & the game got out of hand.

Just like it did for the Dolphins yesterday.

Someone said earlier, that Philbin should have pulled back the reigns after the score got to 17-3. I think that was already too late. Those guys are thinking too much by that time, "The game's on me, I gotta make a play." Then BAMMMM!!! Glover Quin smacks you in the mouF

Ω

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2012, 02:33 PM
you can call it snail mode or you can just say that being conservative and not taking chances in a game where your defense has not given up a TD is just good coaching.

Someone posted that the conservative play in the 2nd half was to try to run down the clock. But shouldn't very good teams (of which we feel we are amongst) be able to run down the clock.........and still move the ball effectively and score TDs?

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 02:33 PM

Reggie Bush. We didn't do a good job of getting them into favorable down & distance. Reggie Bush was gashing us up the middle & in the passing game. Our LBs & Safeties have to get better & cut out all that checkdown tomfoolery.

Vinny
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Someone posted that the conservative play in the 2nd half was to try to run down the clock. But shouldn't very good teams (of which we feel we are amongst) be able to run down the clock.........and still move the ball effectively and score TDs?

We won 30-10...it's not like we didn't score much. 3 offensive TD's to zero for the Dolphins.

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Football players love to step on the throat of their opponent when they have them down, and it seems like GK never lets that happen.

Look at last year's schedule.

We drummed Indy, 34-7
Tennessee @ Tennessee 41-7
Tampa Bay @ Tampa Bay 37-9

Maybe "never" doesn't mean what you think it means.

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2012, 02:47 PM
We won 30-10...it's not like we didn't score much. 3 offensive TD's to zero for the Dolphins.

I was asking the question referring to the second half.

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2012, 02:48 PM

In a perfect world, yes. And that's why Kubiak is upset. This offense is supposed to do that.

Look at the possessions in the second half yesterday:
1st -- 3 and out that ate up less than 2 minutes. (And then the return for a TD)
2nd -- An 11 play drive that ate up 6:42 and ended in a field goal.
3rd -- A 12 play drive that ate up 6:59 and ended in a field goal.
4th -- 3 and out that ate up less than 2 minutes.
5th -- 3 and out that ate up less than 2 minutes but since it started with 4 minutes to go, ate up almost half the remaining time.
6th -- 3 kneel downs.

We've got to get better but we did what we had to do.

HOU-TEX
09-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I haven't re-watched the game yet to really focus on the trenches, but at first glance it appeared Myers and Smith had some rough times. Again, this is just my initial reaction without having seen the game again.

I take that back about Myers, until I watch the 2nd half anyways. It was Wade Smith and Caldwell getting beat. Moreso Smith than Caldwell at this point.

Vinny
09-10-2012, 02:55 PM
I was asking the question referring to the second half. we had the ball for ten mins longer even though we weren't running the ball all that well. Our fan base also underestimated/underestimates the Dolphins defense imo. Last season they were actually better than we were against the run. They gave up 3.7ypc and we gave up 4.1 I don't think that Kubiak needed to take any chances by putting the ball up more.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 02:57 PM
we had the ball for ten mins longer even though we weren't running the ball all that well. Our fan base also underestimated/underestimates the Dolphins defense imo. Last season they were actually better than we were against the run. They gave up 3.7ypc and we gave up 4.1 I don't think that Kubiak needed to take any chances by putting the ball up more.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=true&conference=null&role=OPP&offensiveStatisticCategory=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2011&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=true&Submit=Go

But they were 25th against the pass (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1). Wouldn't that entice you to put it up more?

The Pencil Neck
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
But they were 25th against the pass (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASSING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1). Wouldn't that entice you to put it up more?

Only if you need to score.

There was no need at that point. We had two relatively long scoring drives in the second half to eat up time and our D was shutting them out. No need to panic and start doing things that could let them back into the game.

Vinny
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
not when the game is in hand...you play to WIN the game, not to drive up the stat line.

HOU-TEX
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
not when the game is in hand...you play to WIN the game, not to drive up the stat line.

Thanks, Herm!

:shades:

Corrosion
09-10-2012, 04:12 PM

I said this in another thread but I think it bears repeating ....

I believe we expected the Texans to come out and jump on the Fish early and often. That didnt happen .... due to a few things , dropped passes by Foster , Martin and AJ , poor field position and they were limited to a FG after a first and goal on the 3.
The Fish were able to control the clock early with their ability to run the ball and those stalled drives. And they hadnt made any mistakes to that point.

Sure they won 30-10 but they did the majority of the damage within a short span of time then slogged their way thru the rest of the game.

Once they made mistakes , the Texans capitalized on them ... but I believe that the majority of us expected domination from start to finish. That might be an unrealistic expectation in the NFL .... but thats the vibe I get.

I have to give the Fish some credit for being better than most expected , especially their defensive front Vs the run. They have the pieces in place to be a pretty solid team if they can get better QB play.
Some "experts" have said they are the worst team in the league .... I have to doubt that after watching this game.

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Look at last year's schedule.

We drummed Indy, 34-7
Tennessee @ Tennessee 41-7
Tampa Bay @ Tampa Bay 37-9

Maybe "never" doesn't mean what you think it means.

It seems "seems" does not mean what you think it means.

Rey
09-10-2012, 04:16 PM
I said this in another thread but I think it bears repeating ....

I believe we expected the Texans to come out and jump on the Fish early and often. That didnt happen .... due to a few things , dropped passes by Foster , Martin and AJ , poor field position and they were limited to a FG after a first and goal on the 3.
The Fish were able to control the clock early with their ability to run the ball and those stalled drives. And they hadnt made any mistakes to that point.

Sure they won 30-10 but they did the majority of the damage within a short span of time then slogged their way thru the rest of the game.

Once they made mistakes , the Texans capitalized on them ... but I believe that the majority of us expected domination from start to finish. That might be an unrealistic expectation in the NFL .... but thats the vibe I get.

I have to give the Fish some credit for being better than most expected , especially their defensive front Vs the run. They have the pieces in place to be a pretty solid team if they can get better QB play.
Some "experts" have said they are the worst team in the league .... I have to doubt that after watching this game.

Honestly, I didn't expect that. I thought the fins were ok, but they were even better than I thought.

Perki-Perk
In a perfect world, yes. And that's why Kubiak is upset. This offense is supposed to do that.

Look at the possessions in the second half yesterday:
1st -- 3 and out that ate up less than 2 minutes. (And then the return for a TD)
2nd -- An 11 play drive that ate up 6:42 and ended in a field goal.
3rd -- A 12 play drive that ate up 6:59 and ended in a field goal.
4th -- 3 and out that ate up less than 2 minutes.
5th -- 3 and out that ate up less than 2 minutes but since it started with 4 minutes to go, ate up almost half the remaining time.
6th -- 3 kneel downs.

We've got to get better but we did what we had to do.

Yeah, but Kubiak can only be upset with himself. He called almost exclusively running plays the last quarter and a half against a great run defense...what does he expect?? Our passing game was working and you went from a nice mix when we scored to trying to stuff the run down the throat of a good run defense. Sounds like questionable play calling, but what do I know...

Goldensilence
Overall this game leaves me concerned in some game facets.

Had trouble containing run of Phins overall....but breaking in a young QB and no real WR threats you had to figure they would go run heavy. Overall though they didn't score an offensive touchdown despite giving up more yards than expected in rushing game.

J.J Watt took over this game at the DE spot. This guy just isn't good, he's turning into a super star player.

Offensively, early struggles but they got scored on all three turnovers like they should have. They're going to have to get better because you can't expect 4 turnovers every game.

Overall though, OD played great, looks like he's back to full form. He's definitely going to chew up yards between the 20's this year for us. AJ looks like...well AJ. That TD catch was vintage. Definitely some moving pieces on the OL, but seemed to play better in second half. I think they'll get better on the right side in time. Might be musical chairs at RT at practice next week or two, but they need to have something figured out by the time they play Denver.

09-10-2012, 04:18 PM
I think they'll get better on the right side in time. Might be musical chairs at RT at practice next week or two, but they need to have something figured out by the time they play Denver.

Strangely enough, I feel like the left side of the line struggled more than the right side...

CloakNNNdagger
09-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Once you are in the RZ, especially on the 1 yd line, whether you are trying to run the clock down or not, as a self-proclaimed SB contender, you are EXPECTED to get that TD.

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 04:20 PM

There was no need at that point. We had two relatively long scoring drives in the second half to eat up time and our D was shutting them out. No need to panic and start doing things that could let them back into the game.

IF that's the case, then it also skews rankings in the grander scheme of things. If a team, who could of put up 400 yards passing only puts up 60% of that, then a good secondary allows that same amount to a team like New Orleans, I'd say those stats are off....

thunderkyss
09-10-2012, 04:24 PM

I understand milking the clock, but if you get a chance to go back & watch the game, we weren't snapping the ball with only one or two seconds on the play clock. We're talking with 6 minutes left in the game, with 4 minutes left in the game.

Heck if he's feeling like the game is in hand at that point, get Arian out of the game, get Schaub out of the game. We need those two for the long haul & Yates needs the snaps. Ben could work on his 5 for 11 performance. LeStar & Keyshawn could have gotten some reps if all we were going to do was decoy Andre Johnson.

He could have tried to run the ball twice, then throw it on third down to pick up a first. Then if they score a touchdown he can go into safe mode & we only win by 14. I'm not an NFL head coach, I understand that, but at those points in the game I'd rather get a first down than give Miami another short field.

utahmark
09-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, but Kubiak can only be upset with himself. He called almost exclusively running plays the last quarter and a half against a great run defense...what does he expect?? Our passing game was working and you went from a nice mix when we scored to trying to stuff the run down the throat of a good run defense. Sounds like questionable play calling, but what do I know...

You have to look at the scoreboard. Why throw the ball when you don't have to? I guess he could of lit it up in the 4th to make fans happy, other than that I see no reason.

Trail.Blazr
09-10-2012, 04:29 PM
I understand milking the clock, but if you get a chance to go back & watch the game, we weren't snapping the ball with only one or two seconds on the play clock. We're talking with 6 minutes left in the game, with 4 minutes left in the game.

Heck if he's feeling like the game is in hand at that point, get Arian out of the game, get Schaub out of the game. We need those two for the long haul & Yates needs the snaps. Ben could work on his 5 for 11 performance. LeStar & Keyshawn could have gotten some reps if all we were going to do was decoy Andre Johnson.

He could have tried to run the ball twice, then throw it on third down to pick up a first.

THIS makes too much sense.

Perki-Perk
09-10-2012, 04:39 PM
You have to look at the scoreboard. Why throw the ball when you don't have to? I guess he could of lit it up in the 4th to make fans happy, other than that I see no reason.

Shaub's my starting fantasy QB...lol, I'll get over it.

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2012, 11:17 AM

He could have tried to run the ball twice, then throw it on third down to pick up a first. Then if they score a touchdown he can go into safe mode & we only win by 14. I'm not an NFL head coach, I understand that, but at those points in the game I'd rather get a first down than give Miami another short field.

I think Kubiak wants to make sure there are no mistakes so he goes with the guys he trusts the most: Schaub and Foster. I think he trusts his line to be able to open some holes for Foster to pick up first downs in that situation and THIS TIME that didn't work. I think he also trusts his defense not to give up any big plays which forces Miami to take time off the clock while scoring IF they're able to score.

OTOH, he's seen situations where he's gone for "safe" passes and had them returned for touchdowns. (I hate to bring up the OT pass against the Ravens a couple of years ago but there it is.) Handing the ball off to Foster minimizes the chance of a quick score by the Dolphins and that's really his main priority. If the Dolphins can get a quick score, the momentum could shift and then on the ensuing kick-off Trindon fumbles it and they get another quick score and then we're hanging on for dear life.

Last night, the Ravens started to NOT go conservative once they got up and in the process, they almost lost their starting QB. Imagine the uproar in here if Kubiak decides to run-run-pass and on that pass play Schaub goes down for the season. People would have been screaming for his head.

What he did wasn't sexy but it minimized the chance for bad plays. And I'm good with that.