PDA

View Full Version : JJ Watt: All-Pro DE

Pages : [1] 2

Quick II Draw
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Guy is unbelievable. Best Texans draft pick since Andre in my opinion...

Spled
09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Tannehill will be having nightmares tonight.

Thorn
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Tannehill will be having nightmares tonight.

Watt?

RTP2110
09-09-2012, 04:13 PM
He's really good at sWATTing the QB's passes down.

TdotTexas2Step
09-09-2012, 04:14 PM
JJ Swatt

False Start
09-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Without a doubt! I'm so psyched to have a bad ass lineman. :jam:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/StoneColdWhat-135.gif

fiasco west
09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Definitely. Only thing stopping him from having a amazing career is injury.

Texn4life
09-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Dude is an animal!!!! I wasn't happy when we drafted him, but I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life.

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Tannehill was notorious at A&M for staring down receivers while they moved through their routes. He telegraphs at least half his throws, and that leads to lots of tipped passes. It's also a rookie QB thing to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if the D-line gets less than 5 PDs next week.

TimeKiller
09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
All-TIME if he keeps playing like this!

utahmark
09-09-2012, 05:45 PM
defensive player of the year. I'm calling it.

Lucky
09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
defensive player of the year. I'm calling it.
At least Defensive Player of the Week. Watt was the difference today.

Scooter
09-09-2012, 05:55 PM
it's been 26 years since a defensive player won an MVP. if jj "unblockable" watt doesnt win it this year, it means he got hurt at some point, or got robbed at the end.

gtexan02
09-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Watt was the difference today.

JJ Watt was

dream_team
09-09-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a man crush on JJ Watt!

utahmark
09-09-2012, 06:12 PM
At least Defensive Player of the Week. Watt was the difference today.

After the last two playoff games I'm beginning to see a pattern.

False Start
09-09-2012, 06:24 PM
JJ Watt was

:littlelol:

Chance_C
09-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I love him

Say Watt
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
JJ Watt was

Say watt?!?

Nawzer
09-09-2012, 08:13 PM
JJ Swatt is playing on a different level than everyone else.

NitroGSXR
09-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I have been dreading the sophomoric wall. Looks like he just kicked a big hole in it.

jjjezebel
09-09-2012, 08:50 PM
If anyone can get me a .gif of that little head shake/finger wag he did after knocking that ball away, I would love you forever and ever. I just want to watch that on an endless loop, it was so adorable.

:heart:

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 09:24 PM
If anyone can get me a .gif of that little head shake/finger wag he did after knocking that ball away, I would love you forever and ever. I just want to watch that on an endless loop, it was so adorable.

What time/quarter was it?

2slik4u
09-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Definitely. Only thing stopping him from having a amazing career is injury.

Why must you mention things like this...

jjjezebel
09-09-2012, 09:36 PM
What time/quarter was it?

Oh, man...making me think. I know it was after his first tip, but I can't remember when exactly it was. :(

Dutchrudder
09-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Oh, man...making me think. I know it was after his first tip, but I can't remember when exactly it was. :(

Did it lead to Cushing's INT? Just need something to help pin it down. I'll
Have the broadcast tomorrow.

FYI, if anyone has gif requests, pm me the time and quarter and I can make them fairly quickly.

TheRealJoker
09-09-2012, 09:51 PM
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=P0gsgyY_QW0

jjjezebel
09-09-2012, 09:59 PM

FYI, if anyone has gif requests, pm me the time and quarter and I can make them fairly quickly.

No, it was just a tip. No one got a turnover from it. I'll check my hubby's pictures when he get's them up...he said he got a picture of it, and I can probably figure it out from there. He's watermarking them now, and should have them up in a bit.

Lucky
09-09-2012, 10:03 PM
It was on quick out to Hartline in the 2nd quarter. It looked close to being a backwards pass. A couple of plays later, Watt tipped the pass that Cushing came up with.

jjjezebel
09-09-2012, 10:07 PM
It was on quick out to Hartline in the 2nd quarter. It looked close to being a backwards pass. A couple of plays later, Watt tipped the pass that Cushing came up with.

Thanks Lucky! :handshake:

TEXANRED
09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
JJ Watt is the MF'n man!

The Texans have found themselves a special player. He takes over games and swings momentum in our favor. He did it in the Bengals playoff game and he did it again today.

wtp
09-10-2012, 01:49 AM
He's a monster. If he keeps it up he'll be one of the best DE's in the league.

Playoffs
09-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Without Watt, this would have been an ugly win. One. Man. Defense.

GlassHalfFull
09-10-2012, 09:05 AM

Watt's Mutombo imitation. I loved it.

eriadoc
09-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Watt won't win MVP, DPOY, or even the weekly award. You know why? When they showed the highlights for the Texans game on NFLN, they showed the two tips for INTs and mentioned Cushing and Kareem Jackson. Not one mention of Watt, nor did they show his sacks. To the casual observer outside Houston, Watt doesn't exist. And it's a crying shame because every other player on defense yesterday was not performing to Watt's level until he kickstarted things. The man is a beast, a motivator, and the catalyst that gets things rolling for that defense.

Not. One. Mention.

:toropalm:

NitroGSXR
09-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Watt won't win MVP, DPOY, or even the weekly award. You know why? When they showed the highlights for the Texans game on NFLN, they showed the two tips for INTs and mentioned Cushing and Kareem Jackson. Not one mention of Watt, nor did they show his sacks. To the casual observer outside Houston, Watt doesn't exist. And it's a crying shame because every other player on defense yesterday was not performing to Watt's level until he kickstarted things. The man is a beast, a motivator, and the catalyst that gets things rolling for that defense.

Not. One. Mention.

I think that they likely attribute Watt's 3 batted passes to Tannehill more than anything else.

I tried looking up the record for most batted passes in the NFL but I am having no luck. Watt has been on a tear with batted passes over his last 3-4 games. I bet his is one of the most ever. I've never seen anything like it before. I think another game like this and the talking heads will be Watt this and that.

eriadoc
09-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I think that they likely attribute Watt's 3 batted passes to Tannehill more than anything else.

I tried looking up the record for most batted passes in the NFL but I am having no luck. Watt has been on a tear with batted passes over his last 3-4 games. I bet his is one of the most ever. I've never seen anything like it before.

Yep. It's no coincidence. The man has a feel for it and studies QBs to try and improve upon it. It's every bit as disruptive a play as a sack when it doesn't go for an INT. When it does ... well, 3 scores in 2 minutes, LOL.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-10-2012, 09:49 AM
A great team always got one really special player on D side that can able to change the game and I believe we have that special player in JJ Watt!!!

Thank you JJ!!! You made my day!

Go Texans!!!

Scooter
09-10-2012, 10:27 AM
lost in the swatts is he also lead the team with 2 sacks (only credited with 1.5?), huge for a 34 defensive end.

2012Champs
09-10-2012, 10:40 AM
it's been 26 years since a defensive player won an MVP. if jj "unblockable" watt doesnt win it this year, it means he got hurt at some point, or got robbed at the end.

Lets not get waaayyy ahead of ourselves here. It was one game and wouldnt be enough for league MVP

Scooter
09-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Lets not get waaayyy ahead of ourselves here. It was one game and wouldnt be enough for league MVP

after a win and way too much bourbon, sure it would. :doot:

utahmark
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM

Not. One. Mention.

Peter King noticed:

3. Houston (1-0). Does J.J. Watt have a big impact every game he plays, or is that just my imagination? Another 1.5 sacks and three passes deflected against Miami. Incredible for a 290-pound, 3-4 defensive end.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/10/Week1/index.html#ixzz265C7ERrT

RunninRaven
09-10-2012, 12:27 PM
If JJ Watt's career path continues as it is now, I could see him changing the 3-4 DE position (and maybe DE/DT positions in general). Teams will have more drills teaching the timing of batting passes, will game plan around getting guys in position. It will become a point of emphasis league-wide whereas many teams probably don't focus on it much today. But seeing how disruptive it can be when you have a guy that does it well...I could see it changing how teams operate.

And that's awesome.

DX-TEX
09-10-2012, 12:36 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20127312/2012-nfl-grades-week-1-hail-to-the-redskins-fail-to-many-good-teams

Could J.J. Watt be a sleeper for DPOY? Houston beat up on substantially lesser competition, but they were dominant in all facets after a sluggish start.

False Start
09-10-2012, 09:28 PM
I didnt think it was possible, JJ has surpassed Cush as my favorite player on D.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/WATT316-1.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/wattwhitepiccopy.jpg

:jam:

Texecutioner
09-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Watt is starting to remind me of a certain DE, and his name is Jared Allen. Loving having a guy like this. :kingkong:

And by the way, for all you Mario Williams junkies who swore by that lazy ass all those years, what game in Texans history did Mario ever have that kind of impact?? Watt is the real deal of what Mario Williams was supposed to be. This is the guy that we've been needing all of these years. Mario will sulk in Buffalo. Watt for defensive player of the year!

False Start
09-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Watt is starting to remind me of a certain DE, and his name is Jared Allen. Loving having a guy like this. :kingkong:

I can see that. I think he can be the Texans version of Ray Childress.

Texecutioner
09-10-2012, 10:37 PM

The Next Ray Childress in Houston?? I'm liking the sound of that.:kingkong:

False Start
09-10-2012, 10:55 PM
The Next Ray Childress in Houston?? I'm liking the sound of that.:kingkong:

Me too. I think Watt can be even better than Childress.

Dutchrudder
09-11-2012, 01:16 AM

A long fast one, and a short slow one, and a long slow one. Plus, I figured out how to convert MKV files to MP4! Yay for me! :D

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/watt1.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Watt2.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/watt3.gif

dream_team
09-11-2012, 01:23 AM

Yes. I see his game more like Childress than Allen.

Maddict5
09-11-2012, 09:01 AM

And by the way, for all you Mario Williams junkies who swore by that lazy ass all those years, what game in Texans history did Mario ever have that kind of impact?? Watt is the real deal of what Mario Williams was supposed to be. This is the guy that we've been needing all of these years. Mario will sulk in Buffalo. Watt for defensive player of the year!

im by no means a mario junkie but he did have games where he set the tone too... off the top of my head- steelers last yr, colts opening day 2 yrs ago, that broncos tnf etc. i agree they werent nearly frequent enough but he did occasionally have them

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2012, 09:08 AM
@Dutch, great job with the gifs. I looked and looked for a gif of Mutombo's finger wag and couldn't find one. I think it would be really great to see a Mutombo in Rockets uniform finger wag gif side by side with a Watt finger wag gif.

Dutchrudder
09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
@Dutch, great job with the gifs. I looked and looked for a gif of Mutombo's finger wag and couldn't find one. I think it would be really great to see a Mutombo in Rockets uniform finger wag gif side by side with a Watt finger wag gif.

Do you have a link to a youtube video of it? I can pull those down easily and make one.

GlassHalfFull
09-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Do you have a link to a youtube video of it? I can pull those down easily and make one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-BaVkXp6gk&feature=related

There are several in this clip

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Tannehill was notorious at A&M for staring down receivers while they moved through their routes. He telegraphs at least half his throws, and that leads to lots of tipped passes. It's also a rookie QB thing to do, so I wouldn't be surprised if the D-line gets less than 5 PDs next week.

In one of the other threads, not to take anything away from "Watt is a beast," I pointed out that Tannehill threw virtually all of his passes low in straight line without any attempt to high takeoff or arc over the Dline. Here is a post from a senior poster at Thephins.com (http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?71902-Ryan-Tannehill-s-tipped-passes/page2):

Tannehill has an issue with keeping the ball at around shoulder level when he throws. If he has an open passing lane, there is not really an issue with this throwing motion (except for balls floating on him), but unfortunately, passing lanes are not always there.

Using a clock for reference, Tannehill began his throws from about the 9 o'clock position on just about EVERY throw I saw from him today. Now, on deeper throws, this is probably a more appropriate motion. Think about a mangonel catapult. Some of you might have seen them on those pumpkin toss contests on the Discovery channel (the mangonel is the one with the arm and bucket, not the sling and pouch, which is the trebuchet).

The problem with this motion, especially on shorter-to-intermediate passes, is that the ball moves to the horizontal (which most thrown balls will do, but more so in his case), resulting in some passes being thrown high (or float) on these shorter throws (think the throw to Charles Clay that was inadvertently caught by Fasano). It is also an inefficient motion from a physics standpoint, because it takes quite a bit of stored energy to make that motion. This motion does not really transfer to the projectile efficiently. So in essence, he has to use more energy to put a certain amount of velocity on the ball. And this is just an observation, but he had his arm iced up pretty good in one of the preseason games. Does not necessarily mean much, but he may be working harder than he should with this motion.

Forget the fact that defensive lineman can bat down the balls at the LOS, Tannehill had these issues at Texas A&M (just look at the footage). Against Carolina, he had 4 batted passes at the LOS. This is nothing new.

A more appropriate throwing motion with these tall lineman would be from about the level of the top of the head or higher. The best in the business is Peyton Manning.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that this is something that Tannehill can change so quickly. This is HIS natural throwing motion, and something he has probably done for a very long time. It could stem from a number of things as to why he uses this particular motion, but having smaller hands could be one of the natural reasons for not using a higher launch point. Controlling the ball from a higher launch point is much easier with larger hands. I cannot imagine that he has gone through high school and college without ONE coach pointing this out to him.

And going back to the throwing motion and not being able to change it with any real effectiveness. Tim Tebow worked an entire offseason and deliberately tried to switch it without much success. I am not so sure that we will see much change in the motion. Philbin mentioned that the lineman need to do a better job at keeping their hands on the D-lineman they are against. Maybe this point has been made during practices to even the playing field in light of Tannehill's throwing motion? Just speculation with this, though.

Texecutioner
09-11-2012, 08:57 PM
im by no means a mario junkie but he did have games where he set the tone too... off the top of my head- steelers last yr, colts opening day 2 yrs ago, that broncos tnf etc. i agree they werent nearly frequent enough but he did occasionally have them

I certainly remember you defending the guy every chance you could get and acted like people were crazy if they thought he needed to be criticized.

And Mario never had a game like this in his career. Watt caused 3 INT's and recorded a sack and half and a lot of pressure all game long and he is in his 2nd season.

Rey
09-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Mario was a good player and I think would have been a dominant edge rusher in wades system.

Mario has the talent and all, but he's not the playmaker watt is. Watt plays faster. I know a lot of people don't buy into the fast twitch stuff, but watt is a fast twitch athlete, and Mario is not.

I would have loved to have seen them both in this defense all last year though.

If we could have stated completely healthy we'd have been scary good.

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Texans learned Dolphins' snap count by watching HBO's "Hard Knocks"

2 hours ago

Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt is credited with 1.5 sacks and two batted passes that turned into interceptions in the Texans' 30-10 win over the Miami Dolphins Sunday. Watt apparently should also be credited with figuring out the Dolphins' snap count, and he tells the NBC Sports Network's "Pro Football Talk" TV show that he learned it just by watching the Dolphins' training camp tidbits on the HBO series "Hard Knocks".

It's unexpected news that a defense can learn an opponent's snap count by watching a weekly series on HBO. It's even more unexpected news that a channel called the NBC Sports Network actually exists.

We don't have an actual confirming quote from Watt, but the report that the Texans' DE learned the Dolphins snap count from "Hard Knocks" is confirmed on the ProFootballTalk web site. "(Watt) was a little sheepish and guarded when explaining it to co-host Erik Kuselias," writes host and founder Mike Florio, "saying that the same information can be picked up from the preseason game broadcasts. But Watt said that it helped."http://www.faniq.com/blog/Texans-learned-Dolphins-snap-count-by-watching-Hard-Knocks-Blog-54828

badboy
09-11-2012, 09:27 PM
IIRC, Wade Phillips said when he was hired that all players would be taught to rush with arms up. I did not see that much before Wade.

False Start
09-11-2012, 09:44 PM
JJ doesn't miss Mario. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/watt-says-texans-wont-miss-mario-williams/)

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2012, 09:58 PM
JJ doesn't miss Mario. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/watt-says-texans-wont-miss-mario-williams/)

Wow. Great interview.

I wanted to run out and hit something after that.

Dutchrudder
09-11-2012, 11:51 PM

Ok, here are a few to choose from, take your pick. I like the last one against the Lakers :D

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo3.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo4.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo6.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo5.gif

GlassHalfFull
09-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Ok, here are a few to choose from, take your pick. I like the last one against the Lakers :D

I like them all, but think that last one would look best. Thanks!!

Scooter
09-12-2012, 07:41 AM
he's on NFL AM right now.

edit: short interview, nothing really said.

Texn4life
09-12-2012, 07:44 AM
he's on NFL AM right now.

Just saw it..... He's been a busy man these last 16 hours or so. Its about the 3rd or 4th interview I've heard or seen him doing in that time.

False Start
09-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Wow. Great interview.

I wanted to run out and hit something after that.

Me too.

I love his confidence in both himself, and his teammates.

drs23
09-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Me too.

I love his confidence in both himself, and his teammates.

Me three. I was wearing my Liberty White #99 Watt jersey for the game. I'm lovin' me some JJ more and more.

The definition of BEAST!

And to think a bunch of folks didn't like the pick @ 11. I think we stole him.

False Start
09-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Me three. I was wearing my Liberty White #99 Watt jersey for the game. I'm lovin' me some JJ more and more.

The definition of BEAST!

And to think a bunch of folks didn't like the pick @ 11. I think we stole him.

Yep, lots of folks wanted Nick Fairley. :jail:

I wasn't one of those, my cousin was p!$$ed when they took Watt. Now, he has a Watt jersey. :wadepalm:

MojoMan
09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
So, who has more sacks this year, J.J. Watt or Mario Williams?

Keep in mind that Williams key role as a 4-3 DE is as a pass rusher, where Watt's key role as a 3-4 DE is not.

If both players stay healthy and Watt out-sacks Williams this year, that will end the Mario Williams arguments once and for all.

TejasTom
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
In one of the other threads, not to take anything away from "Watt is a beast," I pointed out that Tannehill threw virtually all of his passes low in straight line without any attempt to high takeoff or arc over the Dline. Here is a post from a senior poster at Thephins.com (http://www.thephins.com/forums/showthread.php?71902-Ryan-Tannehill-s-tipped-passes/page2):

At Wisconsin JJ had 5 batted balls in 2009 and 9 in 2010.

False Start
09-12-2012, 06:44 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/wattaustin.jpg

:stonecold:

drs23
09-12-2012, 07:25 PM

I wasn't one of those, my cousin was p!$$ed when they took Watt. Now, he has a Watt jersey. :wadepalm:

Gotta give Cuz credit for seeing the error of his ways. At least he was man enough to pony up and recognize his foolish thinking. :D

So, who has more sacks this year, J.J. Watt or Mario Williams?

Keep in mind that Williams key role as a 4-3 DE is as a pass rusher, where Watt's key role as a 3-4 DE is not.

If both players stay healthy and Watt out-sacks Williams this year, that will end the Mario Williams arguments once and for all.

Hope this doesn't (but I'm sure it will) sound :homer:ish but I'll double down on JJ SWATT! Not baggin' on Mario since obviously he impressed enough to snag a 100 mill contract but #99 is full tilt boogie on every snap. On the other hand the former #90...well that's been well observed and documented.

CloakNNNdagger
09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
At Wisconsin JJ had 5 batted balls in 2009 and 9 in 2010.

No argument as to the "beast" label. Just saying that last Sunday a couple of those balls were so low that he didn't need to jump or even raise his hands above his head.

What I worry about is how teams will scheme to counter his bats. I've already read coaches and players mentioning that the Olinemen just need to thump him hard in the chest to have him lose his balance backwards and essentially take him out of the play....a setup for injury. But what I am most worried about is an even more effective counter by Olinemen going low and taking out his knees.

TheIronDuke
09-13-2012, 12:20 PM

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo3.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo4.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo6.gif

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/Sports/My%20Gifs/Mutumbo5.gif

Dutch, can you make a gif of the Quin hit on Thomas that caused the fumble?

thunderkyss
09-13-2012, 03:29 PM

I love me some Mario Williams, but I digress. Watt is playing like a #1 overall pick at a position that normally does not impact the game to this degree.

Agreed. Watt also has some things going for him, that Mario didn't have for the majority of his career here. Most importantly, a competent secondary & defensive coordinator. Not taking anything from Watt, but we saw what a force Mario could be with those things for 5 games last season.

In Watt's favor, he is more of a football player than Mario is. Just watching them play, it appears Watt has a feel for the game that Mario still lacks. At the snap, he gets into his opponent then about a second and a half to two seconds, he pulls back & locates the QB, reads his eyes & makes a play.

Still, I'm not going to act like Mario stole my girlfriend or boinked my wife. He's gone, no skin off my back. He's going to do his thing & so will the Houston Texans. I'm only worried about the latter.

thunderkyss
09-13-2012, 05:42 PM

I'll take that bet... if you're betting that is.

Do you think JJ Watt will out-sack MW?

Playoffs
09-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Schefter:4. Watt earning high praise: An early-season favorite for NFL's Defensive Player of the Year is Houston defensive end J.J. Watt. Everyone saw what a factor he could be last postseason, when the Texans beat the Bengals and Watt picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown. But Watt has picked up right where he left off. He made huge plays against the Dolphins, leading one NFL scout to compare Watt's game to that of San Francisco Pro Bowl defensive end Justin Smith. Another NFL general manager said simply, "Watt is a beast."http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10spot-12week2/what-peyton-manning-were-colt-adam-schefter-10-spot

Rey
09-15-2012, 12:01 PM

LoL, honestly i think there's a good chance this happens.

MojoMan
09-15-2012, 12:12 PM

I don't know, but I think J.J. has a good chance and I hope he does. The way J.J. is playing, it could be a close call.

Lurvinator11
09-15-2012, 12:54 PM

Hey, not gonna lie, when I saw Fairley had fallen to us, I thought we were gonna take him. In fact, I was playing a draft game, and used him as my pick for that round. I ended up losing big time, as wolf123 probably remembers :kitten:

I, like everyone else, didn't know who JJ was. After getting some insight about him on this board, I am glad we got him. I went home from the draft party feeling really good about our #1 pick. I even have a brand new JJ Watt jersey that I got for my birthday!! Let's just hope Mercilus can take off!

One more thing to note, when i got home, my dad was calling that pick the worst pick in texans history. Anytime I bring it up now, he claims he never said that! LOL

thunderkyss
09-15-2012, 01:07 PM
I, like everyone else, didn't know who JJ was.

Says a lot about our scout team right??

Lurvinator11
09-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Says a lot about our scout team right??

Says a lot to the degree that they were able to pick him up and not go with the hype pick (cough cough Ingram to the saints cough cough)

It is also noteworthy to say I didn't follow the draft process at all until last year. This past draft was the first one where I paid attention to who we could get, and who would be a good fit for us.

False Start
09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Had to bump this thread, because JJ was the man AGAIN this game!

Credit Rodman from Clutchfans:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh600/Rodman2124/swatt.gif

gtexan02
09-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I dont even know how to describe JJ. Its like he's not even playing fairly. He is so dominant

Texn4life
09-16-2012, 05:16 PM
He should never play in preseason again...... what a monster!

False Start
09-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I dont even know how to describe JJ. Its like he's not even playing fairly. He is so dominant

He's so dominant, he's like that 12 year old with a mustache in little league. :heh:

MojoMan
09-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Sacks - Season to date (through Week 2)

J.J. Watt (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13979/j.j.-watt)___- 3.0
M. Williams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9587/mario-williams)-- 0.0

So far J.J. has recorded 1.5 sacks in each of his first two games. Mario has none.

LikeMike
09-16-2012, 07:44 PM

So far J.J. has recorded 1.5 sacks in each of his first two games. Mario has none.

I don't care what Mario is doing... But damn, JJ, 3 sacks as a 3-4 DE, add a recovered fumble and several tipped balls. You weren't supposed to be this dominant this fast. Right now he looks like the best 3-4 DE in the league.

thunderkyss
09-16-2012, 07:47 PM

& JJ plays a positioin that isn't "tailored" to getting sacks. The mans a beast.

Mari-OWNED!
09-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Right now he looks like the best 3-4 DE in the league.

I think that title right now belongs to Justin Smith, but Watt definitely belongs in that elite group along with Haloti Ngata and Richard Seymour.

Texn4life
09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I think that title right now belongs to Justin Smith, but Watt definitely belongs in that elite group along with Haloti Ngata and Richard Seymour.

Its arguable, but the way Watt is playing he is well on his way to surpassing all of them. If he keeps this up he'll be a Defensive Player of the Year candidate. The scary thing is I think he can be even better.

msbbc833
09-16-2012, 08:25 PM
1) when does his rookie contract expire?
2) i hope we empty the piggy bank for him

Mari-OWNED!
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM

His last year under contract with the Texans is 2014. He hits free agency in 2015.

Dutchrudder
09-16-2012, 08:39 PM

1. 3 more years left guaranteed. Option of an extra year for something near what it would cost to franchise tag him, but without actually using the franchise tag.

TexansBull
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Haven't read the thread so I don't know if this has been said.

They need to donate money to a charity for every swatted ball. They will be millionaires at the end of the season.

Insideop
09-16-2012, 09:18 PM

Not that it matters, but I heard Mario got 2 sacks today against KC. Maybe he was going up against Winston! :shades:

GlassHalfFull
09-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Not that it matters, but I heard Mario got 2 sacks today against KC. Maybe he was going up against Winston! :shades:

shhh, that was 2 tackles, not sacks.

MojoMan
09-16-2012, 09:20 PM

No, he didn't. Click on the links in my post that you quoted, and it will take you to the ESPN stats page for each of these players.

wolf123
09-16-2012, 09:21 PM

The guys on the radio misspoke. It was Kyle williams who got the 2 sacks. Mario has 2 tackles and a fumble recovery.

thunderkyss
09-16-2012, 10:10 PM
The guys on the radio misspoke. It was Kyle williams who got the 2 sacks. Mario has 2 tackles and a fumble recovery.

I'd still like to watch the game to see how he played.

EllisUnit
09-16-2012, 10:11 PM
I'd still like to watch the game to see how he played.

go to bills message board, he didnt do **** according to them

Allstar
09-16-2012, 10:51 PM

I wouldn't worry about that. Smart organizations don't let their game changers walk. Watt is becoming an elite player in this league, and he'll get what he deserves. It's what we'll have to sacrifice to keep him is what worries me.

mootini
09-17-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm a believer...dude is the real deal! hell of a player!

False Start
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/play_wattjj_400_zps1602090c.jpg

darnbni99a
09-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Jj swatt

False Start
09-21-2012, 10:29 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/wattpic99_zpsa28a0efd.jpg

False Start
09-22-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm gonna get one these made this week. My uncle makes hats, t-shirts etc, and he's gonna hook it up.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/SAWTTTEAMHATW3_zpsc811c02c.png

drs23
09-22-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm gonna get one these made this week. My uncle makes hats, t-shirts etc, and he's gonna hook it up.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/SAWTTTEAMHATW3_zpsc811c02c.png

Cool. I like.

ObsiWan
09-22-2012, 08:56 PM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/play_wattjj_400_zps1602090c.jpg

Two questions:
1. Who drew this (it's damn good)
2. What other players you got??

MojoMan
09-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Sacks - Season to date (through Week 3)

J.J. Watt (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13979/j.j.-watt)___- 5.5
M. Williams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/9587/mario-williams)-- 1.5

J.J. added 2.5 more sacks today, per ESPN. Mario finally got off of the schneid with 1.5 sacks against the Cleveland Browns today.

Well done J.J. And a good game for Mario as well.

VTexan
09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
JJ Watt is making the rest of our pass rushers anonymous. Monster

MojoMan
09-23-2012, 08:36 PM
JJ Watt is making the rest of our pass rushers anonymous. Monster

What is especially amazing is that a 3-4 DE is not generally regarded as a position for a sack leader. So on that score, J.J. Watt is breaking some new ground here. This is very impressive stuff that we are witnessing here.

TheMatrix31
09-23-2012, 08:37 PM
The guy is insatiable.

False Start
09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Two questions:
1. Who drew this (it's damn good)
2. What other players you got??

I found it on a Google search.

I made this (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/swattteam_zps407929cf.jpg) though.

Rey
09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
How many sacks is this guy going to get this year...he could easily get to 10+ and for a 34 DE that's ridiculous...

This guy is an animal. If we had an Olb that could consistently put pressure on the qb like watt does our pass rush would be amazing. It's already great with the solid guys and good players we have, but add a true stud pass rusher on the outside and...wow...

wolf123
09-23-2012, 09:46 PM
How many sacks is this guy going to get this year...he could easily get to 10+ and for a 34 DE that's ridiculous...

This guy is an animal. If we had an Olb that could consistently put pressure on the qb like watt does our pass rush would be amazing. It's already great with the solid guys and good players we have, but add a true stud pass rusher on the outside and...wow...

Equally amazing against the run as well...:whip:

Carr Bombed
09-23-2012, 09:56 PM
What is especially amazing is that a 3-4 DE is not generally regarded as a position for a sack leader. So on that score, J.J. Watt is breaking some new ground here. This is very impressive stuff that we are witnessing here.

This guy is an animal.

Wade's 3-4 is not a traditional 3-4.. It's more of a Hybrid 4-3. Bruce Smith played end in Wade's defense and never had a problem getting sacks.

But yeah, J.J. Watt is a BAMF!

ObsiWan
09-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I found it on a Google search.

I made this (http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/swattteam_zps407929cf.jpg) though.

Sweet!!

NitroGSXR
09-23-2012, 10:02 PM
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523960_4127649083423_1904994724_n.jpg

Carr Bombed
09-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Speaking of "All-pro J.J. Watt". Does anybody think we need to update the banner at the top of the page? I think he's the best player on the team now and is definitely deserving. Should we go with the "Salute" or the "Finger swag"? (that's what I'm calling that celebration) :)

False Start
09-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Speaking of "All-pro J.J. Watt". Does anybody think we need to update the banner at the top of the page? I think he's the best player on the team now and is definitely deserving. Should we go with the "Salute" or the "Finger swag"? (that's what I'm calling that celebration) :)

I agree, replace TJ.

Rey
09-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Wade's 3-4 is not a traditional 3-4.. It's more of a Hybrid 4-3. Bruce Smith played end in Wade's defense and never had a problem getting sacks.

But yeah, J.J. Watt is a BAMF!

I understand that, but my point is that he's not rushing from the edge like the traditional sack artist do.

The fact that he's getting a bunch of these sacks and pressure from inside is amazing.

And I agree. Jj watt is just another way to say beast.

thunderkyss
09-24-2012, 09:12 PM

Hell, if Barwin would be the guy he was last year our pass rush would be amazing. If Brooks could be the guy he was last post season, our pass rush would be amazing.

If Mercilus would be the guy we drafted him to be, our pass rush would be amazing.

If Antonio Smith would be the guy he was last year, our pass rush would be amazing.

So far, & this is only my opinion, but Jj, Kareem, & Demps are the only guys who picked up where they left off last season.

welsh texan
09-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Hell, if Barwin would be the guy he was last year our pass rush would be amazing. If Brooks could be the guy he was last post season, our pass rush would be amazing.

If Mercilus would be the guy we drafted him to be, our pass rush would be amazing.

If Antonio Smith would be the guy he was last year, our pass rush would be amazing.

So far, & this is only my opinion, but Jj, Kareem, & Demps are the only guys who picked up where they left off last season.

You've had a shocker these past few days haven't you mate.

First we hear what a shame it is to see JoJo's horrendous play, now Demps is the 3rd best performer on D :toropalm:

Wade designs his system to feature a certain pass rusher, if you've got Watt coming all day long from the inside, you can use your OLB's for other stuff that also contribute.

How many short dump-offs have opposing QB's had available to them so far this season? Still think our LB corps is underperforming? Sacks aren't the most important stat-line on D.

Playoffs
09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0923/20120923__20120924_B3_SP24FBNINSIDE~p1.jpg

eriadoc
09-25-2012, 03:15 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2012/0923/20120923__20120924_B3_SP24FBNINSIDE~p1.jpg

Reed's got his guy on his heels.

eriadoc
09-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Fixed the emphasis for you. You can feel secure in your individuality because everyone else here thinks you don't know what you're looking at.

Texans Spirit
09-25-2012, 03:19 PM
And I agree. Jj watt is just another way to say beast.

what he said ^^^^^^

:kingkong:

thunderkyss
09-26-2012, 01:25 PM
You've had a shocker these past few days haven't you mate.

First we hear what a shame it is to see JoJo's horrendous play, now Demps is the 3rd best performer on D :toropalm:

I never said Jjo's play was horrendous. Only not as good as it was last year.

I never said Demps was our third best player, or that Kj was our second. Only that they are playing as well as they did last year, getting better.

This year's Jjo has not been as good as last year's Jjo. This year's Barwin, Antonio, Quin... have not been as good as they were last year.

I think Brooks had a good game Sunday & hopes he'll build on that next Sunday.

McCain is looking a little better than the guy he was in 2009, not as good as the 2011 guy.

fiasco west
09-26-2012, 09:35 PM
How about we change the thread title?

JJ Watt: Defensive MVP

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000066447/article/falcons-matt-ryan-leads-early-contenders-for-mvp

He's definitely a contender if not the leading one as of right now. Still way too early of course though...

NastyNate
09-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Reed's got his guy on his heels.

Awesome picture.

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 04:43 PM
JJ Watt has 7.5 sacks after 4 games!!! Are you freaking kidding me?

Dude was the best pick in the 2011 draft, bar none, IMHO.

Mario who???

The Cush
09-30-2012, 04:50 PM
The play that really stood out to me today was in the 1st quarter I believe it was when Brooks got the pass deflection. Watt noticed the right tackle was trying to kick out so before engaging the guard, he made sure to go out of his way and shove Stewart to the ground to take him out of the play which ultimately freed up Reed. The guy is Mr. Intangibles and just knows football.

Jackie Chiles
09-30-2012, 04:52 PM
That is a modest 30 sack pace.

gtexan02
09-30-2012, 04:52 PM
JJ Watt is the best defensive player in the NFL. Not a question in my mind. There is not a single defensive player that I would take in a straight up trade for JJ.

pec0sb0b
09-30-2012, 05:05 PM
All kneel and pay homage before J.J. the Destroyer.

MojoMan
09-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Sacks - Season to date (through Week 4)

J.J. Watt (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13979/j.j.-watt)___- 7.5

J.J. added 2 more sacks today, per ESPN. Mario Williams did not register any sacks, but did have two tackles, including one tackle for loss.

If Mario Williams is given a 7.5 sack over/under for the entire season, which would you take? Personally, I am taking the under.

Hervoyel
09-30-2012, 05:16 PM
I really believe that this is a perfect storm kind of situation. It's not just that Watt is great (he is) or that Wade's system is great (it is). It's that Watt is the perfect player for the system he's in. He was literally drafted by the best team possible for him.

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 05:19 PM
I keep hearing him being compared to Howie Long.

I'm old enough to have watched Howie Long play in his prime. He was damn good. Really, really good.

But he never played the way JJ Watt is playing in 2012.

HJam72
09-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Howie Long has the honor of being compared to JJ Watt.

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 05:22 PM

Right on.

GP
09-30-2012, 05:23 PM
For the life of me, I don't know why companies like Nike or Gatorade, etc., do not have this guy as their PREMIERE model for their stuff.

JJ's agent. Who is he? He should have JJ Watt raking in crazy cash right now. And I'm not talking H.E.B. Grocery Stores. I'm talking THE major apparel or equipment companies.

The guy is Captain America.

97roc
09-30-2012, 05:25 PM
For the life of me, I don't know why companies like Nike or Gatorade, etc., do not have this guy as their PREMIERE model for their stuff.

JJ's agent. Who is he? He should have JJ Watt raking in crazy cash right now. And I'm not talking H.E.B. Grocery Stores. I'm talking THE major apparel or equipment companies.

This ^^^^^^

GP
09-30-2012, 05:27 PM

Probably the most epic post of the day, maybe of the month.

fiasco west
09-30-2012, 05:30 PM

It's going to take a year of this at least.

He keeps this up then yeah I'll be expecting to see him in a lot more commercials.

TEXANRED
09-30-2012, 05:33 PM

I was thinking the Hulk.

You don't wanna make this dude mad.

Scooter
09-30-2012, 05:57 PM
i'm riding a pretty good buzz right now, but i'm struggling to remember a defensive player being so overwhelming through 4 games ... let alone be so dominant in his rookie and early sophomore seasons.

his rookie preseason watt got the nickname "unblockable", and has gone out of his mind since. dude is simply unbelievable - especially for a 3-4 defensive end. isnt that supposed to be a position that doesnt get stats?

Scooter
09-30-2012, 05:59 PM

after 4 games (and drunk again) ... i'm sticking to the statement!!! :d:

HJam72
09-30-2012, 05:59 PM
i'm riding a pretty good buzz right now, but i'm struggling to remember a defensive player being so overwhelming through 4 games ... let alone be so dominant in his rookie and early sophomore seasons.

his rookie preseason watt got the nickname "unblockable", and has gone out of his mind since. dude is simply unbelievable - especially for a 3-4 defensive end. isnt that supposed to be a position that doesnt get stats?

It does now. :clap:

infantrycak
09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
dude is simply unbelievable - especially for a 3-4 defensive end. isnt that supposed to be a position that doesnt get stats?

Let's put it this way - Gary Walker made it to the pro-bowl as a 3-4 DE with 6.5 sacks for the season.

HJam72
09-30-2012, 06:11 PM
Let's put it this way - Gary Walker made it to the pro-bowl as a 3-4 DE with 6.5 sacks for the season.

Well, we had to send somebody. :)

Scooter
09-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Well, we had to send somebody. :)

ouch! lol

TexanBacker93
09-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I really believe that this is a perfect storm kind of situation. It's not just that Watt is great (he is) or that Wade's system is great (it is). It's that Watt is the perfect player for the system he's in. He was literally drafted by the best team possible for him.

It's one of the earmarks of a great organization. Don't just take the BPA. Take the BPA for your system. I always hate the round peg, square hole, we can make it fit routine.

guichows6
09-30-2012, 07:07 PM

Thank you! I thought the howie long comparisons werent all that. I didn't see long play, but Idk...watt is UNBELIAVABLE!! A TRUE BEAST

thunderkyss
09-30-2012, 07:10 PM
Sacks - Season to date (through Week 4)

J.J. Watt (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13979/j.j.-watt)___- 7.5

J.J. added 2 more sacks today, per ESPN. Mario Williams did not register any sacks, but did have two tackles, including one tackle for loss.

If Mario Williams is given a 7.5 sack over/under for the entire season, which would you take? Personally, I am taking the under.

Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

If this continues, we'll end up losing Watt to some nagging injury.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.

G27RR
09-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Nothing else? You do know Antonio got a sack and caused the fumble on the play Watt recovered the fumble on, right? That's just one example.

MojoMan
09-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Why do we have to be like that? Mario didn't do anything but get drafted first overall. & last we heard, from Mario, the Texans didn't even make an offer to keep him here.

The thing we should be worrying about, is "what if" Mario was still here & we had Jj Watt & Mario. Remember Mario was averaging a sack a game in Wade's system. Imagine if he were here, doing the same thing.

Jj Watt 7.5 sacks after 4 games, Mario Williams 4 sacks after 4 games. Then Antonio would have a couple, Barwin would have a couple, Reed would have a couple.

Right now, we've got basically the same thing we had when Mario was here, Mario & nothing else. Now, it's Jj Watt & nothing else. Of course, this is also the best secondary Mario never had a chance to play with. Good pass rush = good secondary, Good secondary = good pass rush. It's a chicken & egg thing.

But it never was about Mario or Jj Watt, Jj Watt wasn't going anywhere. It was about JJ & Mario, or Jj & nothing else.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Mario. The stats just highlight what an amazing display that Watt is putting on for us and the rest of the league.

The Texans would have liked to have kept Mario if they could have negotiated a reasonable contract that was consistent with his effort and the contribution the Texans expected from him going forward. And I would have been very happy with that, too. But with the salary cap to think of, you just cannot overpay players based solely on their press clippings.

Mario played well here in Houston, but he was never all that consistent and he was never really as productive as his potential, his draft position and his compensation suggested that he probably should be. He was still a very good player. He just never quite achieved the dominant status that many of us thought that he would and that he should.

Buffalo obviously valued Mario's expected contribution differently than the Texans did and offered to pay him an extraordinary amount of money. He was not worth that much and pretty much everyone in Houston knew it. So, I and pretty much everyone else here in Houston wished Mario "bon voyage" without any misgivings, and he left. Good for him. It would have been nice if the Texans could have managed to keep him on the team, just not for anywhere near the money that Buffalo is paying him.

And as I expect you will agree, his current performance bears that out to some extent.

Scooter
09-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Nothing else? You do know Antonio got a sack and caused the fumble on the play Watt recovered the fumble on, right? That's just one example.

it may be my perception, but antonio appears to still get most of the double teams (which wouldnt be very surprising considering he's been at the top for years now). teams are going to have to shift everything to watt's side at some point and when they do the ninja is going to go off. the sack he had was pretty dang impressive ... the tackle chipped in to help the guard get position on antonio, but he still made the play.

Big Lou
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend JJ's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

JJ is worth Mario money at this point........

GP
09-30-2012, 08:32 PM
rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend jj's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

Jj is worth mario money at this point........

this ^^^^^^^^

TheIronDuke
09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I'd rather wait until the salary cap goes up in a few years, no reason to pay more than we have to.

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 08:35 PM
Rick better break that rule about not negotiating contracts during the year. They need to extend JJ's contract by about 10 years or they won't be able to afford what he'll he'll be worth in a couple of years.

JJ is worth Mario money at this point........

He won't be a free agent until 2015 so there's no need to start negotiating during this season, but I do agree that they should wrap him up LONG before the end of his contract. It's obvious that his stellar play is no fluke. He's just a monster.

GP
09-30-2012, 08:37 PM

I can recall maybe three or four times, MAYBE, that Mario Williams had the type of impact on games like JJ Watt has had this year already.

He's swatting down passes. He's sacking the QB at key times. He's stuffing runners who come his way. He's making everyone around him look like a million dollars. And all of it is done by being a down lineman, not a guy coming off the edge.

I really have no interest in giving Mario Williams any credit, slack, whatever we call it. At the end of the day, he has half the heart that JJ Watt is. Some guys don't embrace the pressure to perform, to lead, to set an example each week. JJ Watt does, though. That much is evident.

And if JJ Watt goes out to injury, he's still better than Mario. He could quit today, say "I'm going to dedicate my life to the pursuit of making the best pizza on the planet" and I'd say he's above and beyond Mario Williams.

I can't bring myself to display fake civility toward Mario Williams. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he deserves to be revered or even complimented much at all with what talent he leaves on the table every game.

drs23
09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I keep hearing him being compared to Howie Long.

I'm old enough to have watched Howie Long play in his prime. He was damn good. Really, really good.

But he never played the way JJ Watt is playing in 2012.

^^^^This. Every bit of this.

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 08:46 PM
I can recall maybe three or four times, MAYBE, that Mario Williams had the type of impact on games like JJ Watt has had this year already.

He's swatting down passes. He's sacking the QB at key times. He's stuffing runners who come his way. He's making everyone around him look like a million dollars. And all of it is done by being a down lineman, not a guy coming off the edge.

I really have no interest in giving Mario Williams any credit, slack, whatever we call it. At the end of the day, he has half the heart that JJ Watt is. Some guys don't embrace the pressure to perform, to lead, to set an example each week. JJ Watt does, though. That much is evident.

And if JJ Watt goes out to injury, he's still better than Mario. He could quit today, say "I'm going to dedicate my life to the pursuit of making the best pizza on the planet" and I'd say he's above and beyond Mario Williams.

I can't bring myself to display fake civility toward Mario Williams. I don't hate the guy, just don't think he deserves to be revered or even complimented much at all with what talent he leaves on the table every game.

Yep. I don't dislike Mario or wish him unwell. If I saw him on the street I'd happily shake his hand and wish him good health.

But I can't bring myself to give him that much respect. He was the # 1 overall pick and has # 1 overall pick God-given talent, but he doesn't bring that talent to every down or even once every series of downs.

He wasn't offered a renewed contract by the team that drafted him and now I'm certain Buffalo is wondering why they paid him $100 million. That says it all right there.

amazing80
09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Um.. #Titans guard Leroy Harris on JJ Watt: "He's not anything special...I locked him down most of the game except those 2 plays." #Texans

you mad bro?

2slik4u
09-30-2012, 09:07 PM
Thats right. Leading over Clay Mathews, a pure pass rushing outside line backer in a 3-4.

Our 3-4 defensive end is leading the league in sacks. Just shows how good this guy actually is.

As happy as I am of Watts success at getting after the passer, it makes me scratch my head on the lack of sacks our OLB's are getting. I know they are getting pressure and hits on QB but I figured they would be racking them up similar if not better than last year.

I mean, next in sacks on our team is Brooks Reed with 1.5. I know sacks do not tell the whole story but with the amount of blitzes Wade does in this scheme one would think the sacks would be coming out of our "ears".

Anyone have input on the lack of sacks from our OLB position?

Luv_ya_blue
09-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Thats right. Leading over Clay Mathews, a pure pass rushing outside line backer in a 3-4.

Our 3-4 defensive end is leading the league in sacks. Just shows how good this guy actually is.

As happy as I am of Watts success at getting after the passer, it makes me scratch my head on the lack of sacks our OLB's are getting. I know they are getting pressure and hits on QB but I figured they would be racking them up similar if not better than last year.

I mean, next in sacks on our team is Brooks Reed with 1.5. I know sacks do not tell the whole story but with the amount of blitzes Wade does in this scheme one would think the sacks would be coming out of our "ears".

Yes...
They're scared of JJ Watt.
:mcnugget:
He's so freakin' bad, Cushing has nightmares about JJ.
He causes the Grim Reaper to look over his shoulder!

Dutchrudder
09-30-2012, 09:17 PM
JJ watt is everything we hoped Mario would be, and he's only in his second year. This guy is incredible, and I can't thank SF enough for picking Aldon Smith ahead of us!

DexmanC
09-30-2012, 09:18 PM

It just goes to show how good this defense is. JJ Watt is so successful,
because the offense has to choose not to double him. If they double him,
who's gonna stop Reed, Barwin, or Smiff? This defense is just SICK. This is
such a change from the days they only asked Mario to provide pressure.

As long as JJ Watt is single-teamed, it's gonna be a long day for the offensive
line. If they double him, uh-oh.

Rey
09-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Reed has been in coverage a bunch playing on the strong side.

Barwin, IMO, should probably be a strong side OLB too.

Not going to kill him, but I don't think he's looked all that great.

2slik4u
09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
It just goes to show how good this defense is. JJ Watt is so successful,
because the offense has to choose not to double him. If they double him,
who's gonna stop Reed, Barwin, or Smiff? This defense is just SICK. This is
such a change from the days they only asked Mario to provide pressure.

As long as JJ Watt is single-teamed, it's gonna be a long day for the offensive
line. If they double him, uh-oh.

I can buy that. With that logic one would lead you to believe that a downturn is sack numbers (not pressure) from Watt is to be expected in the near future as there is no way offenses can continue to afford to not double team Watt.

With the downturn in sacks from Watt, there should be an uptick in sacks from Reed, Barwin, and Mercilus...assuming Watt starts comanding double teams.

One way or the other, the defense and Wade are doing what they need to do. They are kicking the opposing offenses asses up and down the field thru four weeks so far...

Very excited to exact revenge on the Jets next week. I really hope we embarass them in front of a national audience.

Lucky
09-30-2012, 11:37 PM
The all-time sack leader (Bruce Smith) spent most of his career as a 3-4 DE. I'm not comparing Watt to Smith, but...

...maybe I am.

Very excited to exact revenge on the Jets next week.
Revenge for what?

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Revenge for what?

Those a-holes have a 5-0 record against the Texans all time.

Lucky
09-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Those a-holes have a 5-0 record against the Texans all time.
THe only 5-0 record that has any meaning will be the one the Texans are sporting after next Monday night.

TexansFanatic
09-30-2012, 11:55 PM
THe only 5-0 record that has any meaning will be the one the Texans are sporting after next Monday night.

Agreed. But I am also looking forward to taking that goose egg out of the other 5-0 record. It's time for Jets fans to know what it's like to lose to the Texans.

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 01:38 AM
I don't understand why we have to poison a thread honoring the best D player in football with bitterness toward Mario. Take that crap to the NFL forums. This is a thread about JJ Watt. You can have one without the other, you know. Compartmentalize, people.

NitroGSXR
10-01-2012, 04:10 AM
You guys are talking about Watt not being double-teamed? I don't know much about that so I'm sure you're right but it kinda sounds like you're saying that teams are scheming him as if he's the lowest common denominator. I've seen him plow through double teams AND the RB block. This wrecking ball is definitely NOT being ignored by teams. His motor is just flat-out demolishing entire offensive lines. He has a real nose for the ball. It's really that simple.

Our entire defensive line is superb... including Barwin despite his lack of "stats" or whatever it is that folks use as a guage. It all starts with Antonio Smith though. He's the governor of that entire front seven. We've always had a swarm sleeping back there... JJ Watt is the one who got the hive in a frenzy. That defense is clicking on so many levels right now.

NitroGSXR
10-01-2012, 04:46 AM
I just realized that Watt maybe isn't getting the exposure he deserves? He barely made it on the AP game summary. They only had one line for him in that long article and it was...

Hasselbeck fumbled when he was hit by Antonio Smith in the fourth quarter, and J.J. Watt recovered at the Tennessee 24.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000067748/article/houston-texans-rout-tennessee-titans-to-remain-40

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 05:31 AM
I just realized that Watt maybe isn't getting the exposure he deserves?

Deion gave him some love last night: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/0ap2000000067911/Is-J-J-Watt-the-NFL-s-best-defender

dc_txtech
10-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Tania Ganguli
Um.. #Titans guard Leroy Harris on JJ Watt: "He's not anything special...I locked him down most of the game except those 2 plays." #Texans

Other than that how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

NitroGSXR
10-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Delete. Not an important post. Sorry.

Porky
10-01-2012, 11:37 AM
The major difference between Watt and Mario is all about heart, enthusiasm, hustle, full effort EVERY play, and being dedicated to being the best you can possibly be 365 days a year. Give me a good athlete playing with balls out intensity 100% of the time over a super freak who takes plays off and isn't dedicated to his craft every single time. The Howie Long comparison is a good one, and what JJ is doing for an athlete at his position is VERY rare. Let's just enjoy it while we can. He is special and I feel blessed just to be able to watch him week in and week out.

If Mario had JJ's heart, he would be one of the all-time greats. He is flat out a better athlete than JJ...but JJ is all heart. That is the difference.

And yes, having said that, I would still love to line up Mario for 16 games outside of JJ on that side of the line. That might be unreal, but it wasn't to be so let's wish the Bills well with their 100 million dollar man and move on with the Wattage we have! :)

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 12:11 PM

Not asking for any of that. We're not comparing KMart to Jacoby, Casey to Leach, Jjo to Dunta, Brady James to Zack Diles, Antonio Smith to Okoye, Graham to Dressen.... those guys are gone, we moved on.

But comparing Jj Watt to Mario is stupid. Some guys here are acting like they got dumped by the ugly girl. It never was about Jj or Mario. It was about Jj, Mario & Barwin or Jj, Barwin, & Reed.

The money thing got in the way, I get that, don't want to have that argument all over again (I'm not arguing that point). But on the field, yeah... we'd have been better with Mario even though we look pert' dam good without, we'd be even better.

thunderkyss
10-01-2012, 12:19 PM
You guys are talking about Watt not being double-teamed? I don't know much about that so I'm sure you're right but it kinda sounds like you're saying that teams are scheming him as if he's the lowest common denominator. I've seen him plow through double teams AND the RB block. This wrecking ball is definitely NOT being ignored by teams. His motor is just flat-out demolishing entire offensive lines. He has a real nose for the ball. It's really that simple.

You're right here. He's getting through double teams & sometimes triple teams. It's not that they are not scheming against him, but the QB has to hold the ball. Every time the ball snaps, start counting. QBs are having to hold the ball a full 3 seconds or more before they can find someone to throw the ball to.

In the past, when Dunta was our best corner back, they weren't having to wait near as long. 2.5 seconds & the ball was out. That's why, imo, rookies did so well against us, it was like being in college, they didn't have to go through their progression, their first read was usually open & there was no second level defense to speak of.

Our secondary is just on top of their game this year, giving the pass rush the time they need.

utahmark
10-01-2012, 12:24 PM
I notice one thing watching GB play. Clay Mathews gets a lot of free runs at the QB. Capers seems to devise lots of plays that gets him a open look where JJ has to beat someone everytime he gets a tackle for loss or a sack.

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I notice one thing watching GB play. Clay Mathews gets a lot of free runs at the QB. Capers seems to devise lots of plays that gets him a open look where JJ has to beat someone everytime he gets a tackle for loss or a sack.

Our OLBs don't seem to get many free runs at the QB.

b0ng
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Leroy Harris of the Titans: "I locked him (Watt) down for most of the game besides those two plays". (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/01/titans-leroy-harris-other-than-two-sacks-i-shut-down-j-j-watt/)

Titans players are pretty much just like their (mostly) meth-cooking fans.

EDIT: Toronto being like, the lone exception, and maybe Bullock53 if he ever posted here again.

Porky
10-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Our OLBs don't seem to get many free runs at the QB.

That's true, but I get the sneaky feeling Wade is holding back because he hasn't needed too. In some ways, this D has been operating in near pre-season mode. I mean why show all your cards when you've built 20+ point leads in every single game you've played. Wait until we are in a real ball game and then unleash the hounds. I may be offbase here, but that's the way I see it!

utahmark
10-01-2012, 12:56 PM
That's true, but I get the sneaky feeling Wade is holding back because he hasn't needed too. In some ways, this D has been operating in near pre-season mode. I mean why show all your cards when you've built 20+ point leads in every single game you've played. Wait until we are in a real ball game and then unleash the hounds. I may be offbase here, but that's the way I see it!

You may be right, seemed like they got some free runs last year. Glover got one on Mr Locker yesterday.

fiasco west
10-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Leroy Harris of the Titans: "I locked him (Watt) down for most of the game besides those two plays". (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/01/titans-leroy-harris-other-than-two-sacks-i-shut-down-j-j-watt/)

EDIT: Toronto being like, the lone exception, and maybe Bullock53 if he ever posted here again.

This guy...
"Yeah man take away his 2 sacks, and 3 TFLs and he didn't do much."

I'd like to see someone say that after a offensive player has a big game. "Yeah I locked Andre down, take away his 200 yards and those 3 TDs I locked him up."

Yankee_In_TX
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM

LMAO. Didn't he have 2 sacks, 2 TFL and 2 of something my mind is blanking on? Not to mention a fumble recovery?

Can I get some of what that guy is smoking?

GP
10-01-2012, 01:00 PM
If the safety blitz works, fine by me.

Might as well use the ILBs to play the middle. I don't think Bradie James could get to the QB even if he was allowed to line up one step into their backfield before the snap, so maybe Wade is taking a year off from the ILB blitzes.

Cushing still performs some ILB blitzes, though.

JJ Watt is simply overtaking everything. One Man Gang.

http://www.splattertribe.tv/omg6.png

Lady.Gaga.3000
10-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Yeah but did you see the game yesterday? Even with him running around like Polamalu being matched 1v1 a couple of times, Matthews was not that effective.

b0ng
10-01-2012, 01:04 PM

Besides D-Day, Germany really held those beaches in France!

Scooter
10-01-2012, 01:08 PM
30 Tackles
10 Tackles for loss
10 QB hurries
5 Pass deflections
7 1/2 Sacks

except for the tackles, that's just about a probowl SEASON for an interior lineman.

BIG TORO
10-01-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks for posting, the comments were pretty funny.

Señor Stan
10-01-2012, 01:33 PM
Except for that superlaser, we held up pretty well to the Death Star

-Alderaan

b0ng
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Except for that superlaser, we held up pretty well to the Death Star

-Alderaan

Except for the Holocaust, Jews have had a pretty easy go of it for the last 80 years.

Dutchrudder
10-01-2012, 01:47 PM
FBOutsiders from ESPN INsider article on JJ and some other guys. Here's the Watt section:

The unstoppable J.J. Watt

The Houston Texans have a quarterback who once led the league in passing yards, a running back who once led the league in rushing yards and a wideout who twice led the league in receiving yards. You could be forgiven, then, for crediting the team's 4-0 start to Matt Schaub, Arian Foster and Andre Johnson. While those men are playing well, however, the Texans' perfect record has mostly been driven by a dominant defense, and that defense has in turn been driven by J.J. Watt, a runaway leader for defensive player of the year one month into the season.

The Texans are second in the league in total defense, and first overall in scoring defense, giving up only 14.0 points per game. Football Outsiders' advanced stats paint a similar picture. Through four games, the Texans have the league's top defense overall, as well as the best defense against the pass. (Editor's note: As of Sunday night, Chicago actually outranks Houston in both overall defense and pass defense, but the Bears have played only three games.) Opponents are completing less than 53 percent of their passes against Houston, for only 6.0 yards per attempt, and have been sacked 13 times. The Texans rank in the top five in each of those categories.

Watt is, unquestionably, Houston's brightest star on that side of the ball. A first-round pick out of Wisconsin in 2011, Watt was a starter as soon as he signed his Texans contract. He totaled 5.5 sacks as a rookie while also effectively defending the run.

Our similarity scores system examined Watt's size and production and saw a younger version of Richard Seymour, the versatile lineman who excelled for the New England Patriots teams that won three Super Bowls earlier this century, and is still starting for Oakland a decade later.

Watt set the bar high as a rookie, but his sophomore campaign has been even better. He has at least 1.5 sacks in every game and leads the league with 7.5 quarterback takedowns. Only 10 men have ever collected so many sacks in the season's first four games; those 10 men finished with an average of 14 sacks, showing how hard it is to keep up this kind of production over 16 games.

Even when Watt isn't putting quarterbacks on the ground, though, he's often batting their passes out of the sky. Watt leads all front-seven players with five passes defensed. NaVorro Bowman and Philip Wheeler are the only other front-seven defenders with as many as four tipped passes, and both of those men are coverage linebackers (neither player has a sack this season), not front-line rushers.

And as impressive as all of that sounds, it's still not giving Watt enough respect. At FO, we credit defenders with a "defeat" for all plays that result in negative yardage, a turnover or a stop on third or fourth down. Put that all together, and Watt already has 17 defeats this season, which is far and away the most in the league. (Clay Matthews is in second place with 11.) Jared Allen led the league with 33 defeats in 2011; Watt is already halfway to that total after only four games. In the past 15 years, no defensive lineman has had more defeats in a season than Robert Porcher, who had 37 for the Detroit Lions in 1997. That record is now in serious jeopardy.

These numbers are all remarkable in a vacuum, but they're downright amazing when you consider Watt's role in the Texans' defense. Watt is not a 4-3 end like Allen, or a 3-4 linebacker like DeMarcus Ware. He's not a perimeter rusher. He plays defensive end in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme, and that means his first priority on almost every play is to occupy at least one blocker, theoretically clearing space for linebackers like Brian Cushing and Brooks Reed to make plays. Even when the Texans go to a four-man front in nickel and dime situations, Watt usually moves inside to tackle where he can get stuck in traffic, not outside to end where he can work in space. By design, Houston is making it as difficult as possible for Watt to avoid blockers. Watt is responding by taking on those blockers and beating them play after play.

While fantasy football is all about the so-called skill position players, real football games are still usually won and lost in the trenches. As long as Watt is on the field, the Texans won't lose very many battles on the front line.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8447964/nfl-how-good-houston-texans-jj-watt-playing-right-now

Playoffs
10-01-2012, 01:53 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2012/writers/peter_king/09/30/week-4/mmqb-watt-tx1.jpg

Peter King>MONDAY MORNING QB (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/30/week-4/index.html)

The stories after Week 4:
Best defensive player: Houston defensive end J.J. Watt. Not easy for a 3-4 defensive end, particularly one in the first month of his second year as a pro, and particularly one playing with a nagging elbow injury that requires the elbow to be braced, to lead the NFL with 7.5 sacks and five passes batted down at the line. He makes it clear, correctly, that being on a defense with a great young cast has been a huge assist for him. But the way he can speed about the edge and bull-rush inside with equal skill has made it impossible to block him one-on-one consistently.

He's had at least one sack in every game this year, and dating to last year's two playoff games, Watt has 11 sacks in his last six games -- insane for a 3-4 defensive end. Notified of this incredibly prestigious honor, being named the best defensive player of the first month of the season, Watt said after his two-sack game against Tennessee Sunday: "I appreciate that, but it's only one quarter of the season. We've got lots to do.''
Best team: Houston. San Francisco looked like it Sunday in the 34-0 rout of the discombobulated Jets. Atlanta looked like it in the 27-3 beatdown of the Chargers in San Diego in Week 3. And the Patriots looked like it rolling up 45 points in the last 25 minutes at Buffalo Sunday. But the Texans were September's Team, winning by 20, 20, 6 and 24 points.

I don't want overestimate the pluck of the quarterback, but who survives the two hits on consecutive plays that Matt Schaub took last week in Denver, a $15,750 whack by Von Miller and a $50,000 (plus suspension) helmet-to-helmet ear-eater by Joe Mays? (Schaub, by the way, told me the death of his earlobe has been greatly exaggerated. "My ear's fine,'' he said dismissively Sunday. "That thing got blown way out of proportion.'')

Watt told me he thought the Texans were the best team in the league right now. Said Schaub: "We're a team that's built to win many different ways. If we need to win 10-7, we can. We can run if we have to. We can throw. And our defense can win a game. Our defense created 14 points today.'' And there's depth at running back and all over the defense. This is a team that should be built for January, finally.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/30/week-4/index.html

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 02:05 PM
FBOutsiders from ESPN INsider article on JJ and some other guys. Here's the Watt section:

The unstoppable J.J. Watt

That gave me goosebumps, LOL. JJ Watt is the kind of player that elevates a defense to Super Bowl caliber, a la Ray Lewis.

Vinny
10-01-2012, 02:15 PM
https://twitter.com/TexansTalk/status/252833440007847936

Ryan
10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Ghosts sit around a campfire and tell JJ Watt stories.

Playoffs
10-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Outside of the 2 sacks, 4 tackles and 1 assist he did hold Watt in check,

But that's kinda like the Bills defense bragging "we shut down the Patriots offense in the first half." http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e316/Soizic22/a%20smilie/laugh-1.gif

TexansFanatic
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM

If JJ's not special, what does that say about Harris?

Wow, what a moron. Perfect for Bud's team.

pec0sb0b
10-01-2012, 03:33 PM
A photo breakdown of J.J. and his swim move in Denver...http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/38267/the-trenchie-awards-j-j-watt-bruce-irvin-and-the-best-lineplay-from-week-3-in-the-nfl

Dutchrudder
10-01-2012, 03:50 PM
A photo breakdown of J.J. and his swim move in Denver...http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/38267/the-trenchie-awards-j-j-watt-bruce-irvin-and-the-best-lineplay-from-week-3-in-the-nfl

Hey, Bruce Irivin got a sack, and all he had to do was shove aside Brian Bulaga with what should have been an illegal hands to the face penalty. Great job, we should definitely give him more credit for getting that one by the replacement refs. :rolleyes:

Dread-Head
10-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Watt!?

Errant Hothy
10-01-2012, 04:15 PM
https://twitter.com/SC_DougFarrar/status/252862789524262912

SC_DougFarrar ‏@SC_DougFarrar
Writing a game review of Watt vs. Tennessee. Turns out he clowned Hutchinson, Stewart AND Harris. Maybe Leroy got hit in the head.

eriadoc
10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Watt!?

Say Watt again, I dare you, I double dare you, say Watt one more GD time!

/pulpfiction

GP
10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
How long before some genius in the NFL tries to say that JJ Watt's arm brace is what is actually helping him be so dominant? That he's using it as a club or some sort of block-shedding device?

Somebody will say it. Somebody will try and make that glove fit, thinking there's just no possible way that this guy is THAT good. I mean, he was originally just a tight end for crying out loud! Wait and see.

Luv_ya_blue
10-01-2012, 09:38 PM
BREAKING FOOTAGE:
Archive footage of J.J. Watt "playing" with a young Mark Sanchez.
Note: J.J. is little more than a "white blur" in the footage.

WARNING: The footage may be disturbing for some viewers...from N.Y.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/funniest-home-failures/attacked.gif

CloakNNNdagger
10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan Conference Call

(on his success against the Texans and what he expects from Defensive Coordinator Wade Phillips’ defense) “I think if what I expect from (Defensive Coordinator) Wade (Phillips) is probably that they’ll continue the same formula because right now they’re probably one-two in every category almost defensively, fifth in sacks all that stuff. It starts with the personnel and when you look at their players. Obviously (DE) J.J. Watt, if you have a vote for Defensive Player of the Year how do you not give it to that young man? Seven and a half sacks already, 10 hits on the quarterback, 10 tackles for loss, six PBUs, two for interceptions, he’s really struggling out there is what it looks like to me. He’s been absolutely tremendous.

(on what stands out to him on film about Texans DE J.J. Watt) “Well, the first thing, you love the fanatical effort. The guy plays with his hair on fire and that’s something you notice. But the size, strength, athleticism; it’s rare to find a guy with that kind of combination. I know my brother was wanting him when he was in Dallas. He lost out in that battle. They took that tackle instead. We kept saying, ‘You got to get this kid, you got to get this kid.’ And sure enough, Houston ends up with him. He might be the first overall pick if you’re having that draft all over again. He might be the first overall pick. Certainly, he makes a huge difference and an impact. Really, it’s a guy, as a defensive coach all my life, it’s one of those rare guys that comes along once in a long time and he’s doing a tremendous job.”

(on if Texans DE J.J. Watt reminds him of anyone) “I’d say maybe like Dan Hampton. That kind of length and size and power. That’s the kind of guy he reminds me of.”

REST OF COMMENTS (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Rex-Ryan-conference-call/d775b404-dfb8-42a1-8e33-de4a9ba937ea)

TexansFanatic
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM

"He might be the first overall pick if you’re having that draft all over again. He might be the first overall pick."

Yep, that's what I've been saying.

Allstar
10-03-2012, 04:55 PM

REST OF COMMENTS (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Rex-Ryan-conference-call/d775b404-dfb8-42a1-8e33-de4a9ba937ea)

Wow, those comments give me chills. It's really scary how good Watt could get.

welsh texan
10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
If Rex had signed up on TT and posted those thoughts on our team he'd have been flamed as the biggest homer of all time. That was positively gushing. Was he getting mixed up between Monday's opponent's and a nice pair of feet??

Allstar
10-03-2012, 05:31 PM
If Rex had signed up on TT and posted those thoughts on our team he'd have been flamed as the biggest homer of all time. That was positively gushing. Was he getting mixed up between Monday's opponent's and a nice pair of feet??

yep his comments were definitely the same thing we are all thinking, but not saying because we don't want to sound like homers or even jinx it :)

dc_txtech
10-03-2012, 09:06 PM
JJ Watt has more sacks than the New York Jets defense on the season.

True story.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

drs23
10-03-2012, 11:24 PM
JJ Watt has more sacks than the New York Jets defense on the season.

True story.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks

...and 11 other teams... :)

msbbc833
10-04-2012, 12:00 AM
http://nfltexans.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/watt_bb17337_crop_in.jpg

Insideop
10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
I knew there had to be a reason we went 6-10 the year before we drafted Watt!

Just think, if we'd have gone 9-7 or 10-6, we wouldn't have Watt or Wade on this team, and we might even still have Frank Bush as DC! The cowgirls might have ended up with JJ! :thud: What a nightmare that could have been. So basically, at least 2 good things came from the 6-10 season. Watt and Wade! Let's hope they are together with the Texans for a long time.

thunderkyss
10-04-2012, 09:49 AM

(on what stands out to him on film about Texans DE J.J. Watt) “Well, the first thing, you love the fanatical effort. The guy plays with his hair on fire and that’s something you notice. But the size, strength, athleticism; it’s rare to find a guy with that kind of combination. I know my brother was wanting him when he was in Dallas.

"when he was" Does Rex knows something about Dallas' coaching movements that we don't ?

Wolf
10-04-2012, 11:48 AM
No surprise
AFC defensive player of the month

:woot:

G27RR
10-04-2012, 07:48 PM
"when he was" Does Rex knows something about Dallas' coaching movements that we don't ?

Rex meant Rob knew he wanted to draft Watt when JJ was in Dallas for a pre-draft evaluation.

Rey
10-04-2012, 07:55 PM
Rex meant Rob knew he wanted to draft Watt when JJ was in Dallas for a pre-draft evaluation.

And JJ watt just dropped to his knees in prayer...

MojoMan
10-09-2012, 01:19 AM
Sacks - Season to date (through Week 5)

J.J. Watt (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13979/j.j.-watt)___- 8.5 (Leads the NFL)

J.J. added 1 more sack today, per ESPN. Mario Williams did not register any sacks, but he did have one tackle.

TheMatrix31
10-09-2012, 01:34 AM
Yeah there's a pretty big picture in this thread that should probably be deleted or simply linked to.

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Sacks - Season to date (through Week 5)

J.J. Watt (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13979/j.j.-watt)___- 8.5 (Leads the NFL)

J.J. added 1 more sack today, per ESPN. Mario Williams did not register any sacks, but he did have one tackle.

How many does Connor Barwin have?

eriadoc
10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
How many does Connor Barwin have?

Exactly. This obsession with Mario Williams in a JJ Watt thread is fkn ridiculous. First off, it's a thread about JJ Watt, not Mario Williams. Second, Mario doesn't even play here. Finally, if you absolutely must compare, then compare the appropriate positions. Mario had 5 sacks in 5 games at OLB in a Wade Phillips defense. You want to compare that to something? Compare it to the OLBs in a Wade Phillips defense.

Or just fkn drop it and move on with life. Jesus H. Christ.

Errant Hothy
10-09-2012, 06:55 PM
LZ just tweeted this and it's the best thing I've read all day

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-29-11-texans-will-rue-the-night-they-took-pizza-boy-watts-over-nick-fairley-houston-lover/

MojoMan
10-09-2012, 07:00 PM
Exactly. This obsession with Mario Williams in a JJ Watt thread is fkn ridiculous. First off, it's a thread about JJ Watt, not Mario Williams. Second, Mario doesn't even play here. Finally, if you absolutely must compare, then compare the appropriate positions. Mario had 5 sacks in 5 games at OLB in a Wade Phillips defense. You want to compare that to something? Compare it to the OLBs in a Wade Phillips defense.

Or just fkn drop it and move on with life. Jesus H. Christ.

Skipping our meds today, are we?

By the way, J.J. Watt is a 3-4 DE and Mario Williams is a 4-3 DE. Neither of them is an OLB, so there is no point in making that comparison.

Jackie Chiles
10-09-2012, 07:03 PM

No medication here, can I also say I agree with them? Mario is gone, lets move on please.

welsh texan
10-09-2012, 07:37 PM
I'll give you something to compare about JJ Watt and Mario Williams, during the lockout Mario made negative noises about playing 3-4 DE, it seemed from what was coming out of our FO at the time that that was the position they had him pegged to play.

Mario didn't want to play a position with a lack of production in a contract year.

Its possible to believe that had Williams accepted his position in the 3-4, the Texans would still have liked Reed in the 2nd to play OLB for them, and they may well in that case have felt the had to take Fairley at DT instead of Watt at a position they already had a 'top' starter at.

So had it not been for Mario's winging about how he was going to justify a big contract playing 3-4 DE, we might not have had chance to see JJ proving what can be done from the position.

Moving forward, do people think eventually teams will learn to stop Watt at all costs, slowing his statistical production but openning things up for those around him, or is he going to be allowed to continue, I mean he was oh soo close to having 2 sacks yesterday but Sanchize only just got the ball away. Surely he can't keep up that stat line over the course of an entire career can he?

Playoffs
10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Texans will rue the night they took Pizza Boy J.J. Watt over Nick Fairley (http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-29-11-texans-will-rue-the-night-they-took-pizza-boy-watts-over-nick-fairley-houston-lover/)
BY CHRIS BALDWIN
04.29.11 |
A star fell right into the Houston Texans laps on draft night, like a blessing from the football gods — only Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips didn't grab him. Instead, they punted Nick Fairley right back into the boo-y night.

Fairley landed with the Detroit Lions, where he'll collect Pro Bowl berths for years to come. The Texans took a former Pizza Hut deliveryman instead. But that pizza boy sure has a lot of character.

That's really what it seems to have come down to for the Texans again with the selection of Wisconsin's J.J. Watt. This franchise may never make the playoffs under Bob McNair, but it's sure going to have high-quality gentlemen on the roster...
http://blackwaterdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/homer-simpson-doh.gif Doh!, I hate it when that happens.

infantrycak
10-09-2012, 08:20 PM

By the way, J.J. Watt is a 3-4 DE and Mario Williams is a 4-3 DE. Neither of them is an OLB, so there is no point in making that comparison.

Did you skip watching a year? Mario played OLB in Wade's 3-4 last year, by the way.

Scooter
10-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Moving forward, do people think eventually teams will learn to stop Watt at all costs, slowing his statistical production but openning things up for those around him, or is he going to be allowed to continue, I mean he was oh soo close to having 2 sacks yesterday but Sanchize only just got the ball away. Surely he can't keep up that stat line over the course of an entire career can he?

he blew up a double team PLUS the runningback on a play last night ... he might just be unstoppable even if they rotate half the line watt's direction. it's certainly going to help everyone on the line, but they have to be more consistent beating 1v1's as is. of course it's going to make wade's job so much more fun because he'll have more opportunities to get a blitzer through free.

drs23
10-09-2012, 08:30 PM
LZ just tweeted this and it's the best thing I've read all day

http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-29-11-texans-will-rue-the-night-they-took-pizza-boy-watts-over-nick-fairley-houston-lover/

Hmmmm. Has LZ posted a follow up? Uh hu, didn't think so...

eriadoc
10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Hmmmm. Has LZ posted a follow up? Uh hu, didn't think so...

LZ is not the author of that article. He was basically pointing out how wrong the author was.

drs23
10-09-2012, 08:39 PM
LZ is not the author of that article. He was basically pointing out how wrong the author was.

Ah, din't catch that. My bad. Glad I put my fingers in my pocket then. I had a few more things in mind to say. Good thing I din't. :D

ObsiWan
10-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Texans will rue the night they took Pizza Boy J.J. Watt over Nick Fairley (http://houston.culturemap.com/newsdetail/04-29-11-texans-will-rue-the-night-they-took-pizza-boy-watts-over-nick-fairley-houston-lover/)

http://blackwaterdog.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/homer-simpson-doh.gif Doh!, I hate it when that happens.

BY CHRIS BALDWIN
04.29.11 |
A star fell right into the Houston Texans laps on draft night, like a blessing from the football gods — only Rick Smith, Gary Kubiak and Wade Phillips didn't grab him. Instead, they punted Nick Fairley right back into the boo-y night.

Fairley landed with the Detroit Lions, where he'll collect Pro Bowl berths for years to come. The Texans took a former Pizza Hut deliveryman instead. But that pizza boy sure has a lot of character.

That's really what it seems to have come down to for the Texans again with the selection of Wisconsin's J.J. Watt. This franchise may never make the playoffs under Bob McNair, but it's sure going to have high-quality gentlemen on the roster...

Man, this dude was bad wrong twice in the same piece.

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I'll give you something to compare about JJ Watt and Mario Williams, during the lockout Mario made negative noises about playing 3-4 DE, it seemed from what was coming out of our FO at the time that that was the position they had him pegged to play.

Mario didn't want to play a position with a lack of production in a contract year.

Got a link?

thunderkyss
10-09-2012, 09:50 PM

Speaking of Detroit, has anyone heard anything from Suh lately? I think it's been a year or two.....

Say Watt
10-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Speaking of Detroit, has anyone heard anything from Suh lately? I think it's been a year or two.....

No kidding!!! The guy looked like one of the best players in football but then just disappeared after the Green Bay game. What is going on with that guy?

welsh texan
10-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Got a link?

google.co.uk?

It was discussed ad nauseum here at the time...

In this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79211&highlight=Mario+Williams+wade) an early interview with Wade revealed that he saw Mario playing DE in his 3-4 D. Phillips spoke of Williams' false step when stood up etc...then later on there was some noise from Williams about not liking limited pass rushing opportunities, come draft day they select Watt out of nowhere and Mario is moving to OLB. I searched for the first bit for you, sure you are capable of filling in the pieces. ;)

MojoMan
10-10-2012, 09:12 AM
google.co.uk?

In this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79211&highlight=Mario+Williams+wade) an early interview with Wade revealed that he saw Mario playing DE in his 3-4 D. Phillips spoke of Williams' false step when stood up etc...then later on there was some noise from Williams about not liking limited pass rushing opportunities, come draft day they select Watt out of nowhere and Mario is moving to OLB. I searched for the first bit for you, sure you are capable of filling in the pieces. ;)

And now five games into the season, Watt is leading the NFL in sacks as a 3-4 DE, with stats that any 4-3 DE would be proud of, while Williams, a 4-3 DE, has stats that most 3-4 DE's would be disappointed with. Go figure.

thunderkyss
10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
google.co.uk?

No, I'm not going to fill in the pieces. It's conjecture which is why I'm asking you to provide a source. Williams never complained about playing anywhere. when he was a rookie & we moved him around, he didn't complain. When Wade was coming & speculation was that he'll play DE in a 3-4, he didn't complain. When moved to OLB & was told that he would have to cover, he didn't complain.

"When they want me to cover, I'll do it (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81fb066c/article/standup-guy-texans-williams-welcomes-move-to-linebacker). I don't think that'll happen too much. I don't think you'll see me turning and running and covering somebody man-to-man down the field."

I don't ever recall him complaining about playing DE in the 3-4, he's always said he will do what they ask him to do.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 05:21 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
#J.J. Watt no longer leads the NFL n sacks. Elias Sports Bureau says a Watt sack against Miami was actually a run, leaving him with 7.5, one-half behind Clay Matthews.

thunderkyss
10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL#J.J. Watt no longer leads the NFL n sacks. Elias Sports Bureau says a Watt sack against Miami was actually a run, leaving him with 7.5, one-half behind Clay Matthews.

Sure don't want to be Aaron Rodgers come Sunday.... Elias Sports Bureau just pissed off the Milkman.