PDA

View Full Version : NFL Kickoff Thread: Cowboys @ Giants

Ryan
09-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Should be an interesting game. Can't wait for it to get rolling.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Should be an interesting game. Can't wait for it to get rolling.

I hope that Witten and/or the Girls are not crazy enough to role out Witten this soon, no matter what the results of the MRI.

Khari
09-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Hmm...Dallas losing would be good...but playing eli in fantasy...ugh

DBCooper
09-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Go Cowboys!!!!!

pissknocker
09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
go cowboys!!!!!

huh!

DBCooper
09-05-2012, 05:43 PM
huh!

Contrary to most of the posters on this board, I love the Dallas Cowboys!

If it wasn't for the NFL's wisdom of giving Houston a new team over LA, I would be wearing silver and blue right now instead of my Texans gear.

pissknocker
09-05-2012, 05:47 PM

If it wasn't for the NFL's wisdom of giving Houston a new team over LA, I would be wearing silver and blue right now instead of my Texans gear.

Ugh! pthew yack spit pthew!!!

Errant Hothy
09-05-2012, 05:48 PM

And you admit this out loud?

gtexan02
09-05-2012, 06:02 PM

Admitting it is the first step in getting over it. We should help the guy make it through all the steps

GlassHalfFull
09-05-2012, 06:13 PM
http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/cowboys2.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc138/kdcoughlen/cowboys.jpg

Thorn
09-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Go Giants!!!!

DBCooper
09-05-2012, 06:36 PM

Aw c'mon Hoth-Boy, most of the time the Cowboys only affect us is when we play them head-to-head, everytime they win against an AFC team it helps us.

Very few conflicts of interest by rooting for the Cowboys as a Texan fan.

And how else can we beat them in the Superbowl if they don't get there?

eriadoc
09-05-2012, 06:37 PM
I get to see one of my two favorite teams tonight. I love the Texans and whoever plays against the Cowboys. :D

Playoffs
09-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Interested to see David Wilson if/when...

DBCooper
09-05-2012, 06:45 PM
I get to see one of my two favorite teams tonight. I love the Texans and whoever plays against the Cowboys. :D

Now that's funny!

Joeycharp89
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I hope that Witten and/or the Girls are not crazy enough to role out Witten this soon, no matter what the results of the MRI.

I just got a notice saying Witten is active for the opener.

:vincepalm:

thunderkyss
09-05-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm with Coop..... Go Cowboys!!!

I love Texas & root for all Texans. Houston Texans first of all, but I've got nothing against the Cowboys.

I love to give Cowboy fans a hard time & all, but I'm rooting for the Cowboys tonight.

Thorn
09-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm to old and set in my ways to start cheering for the Cowpatties now.

Vinny
09-05-2012, 08:04 PM
I like when the camera swings up to Jerry making faces as Romo finds a way to turn the ball over on last drive.

disaacks3
09-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Saw him out there for warmups. Hopefully it's in limited action tonight.

Showtime100
09-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Nice little mockery of the Anthem. Actually my only complaint is the rearrangment so no biggie, really.

GP
09-05-2012, 08:42 PM
This could be the game where Romo screws up soooo badly that Jerry Jones completely sheds his full outer skin, jaws unhinge, and his face turns inside out like some sort of alien predator.

I can feel it. Tonight is the night.

It's going to be epic.

TheMatrix31
09-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Is it Sunday yet?

thunderkyss
09-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Fricken Vickers........

GP
09-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Cowboys for it on 4th and inches.

Handoff to the FB, Vickers, the LT blows his block and the Giants defender dives into Vickers' legs and Cowboys lose ground.

Ouch. Cowboys are not very good.

Norg
09-05-2012, 09:15 PM
i could never get how people can have two fav teams i just dont get it i only got 1 fav team da texans and i watch the other 31 but thats all i do watch

and liking both houston @ dallas man yall people are confused :kitten:

thunderkyss
09-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Cowboys D...... bend, don't break.

thunderkyss
09-05-2012, 09:17 PM
i could never get how people can have two fav teams i just dont get it i only got 1 fav team da texans and i watch the other 31 but thats all i do watch

Well I'm not going to be root'n for no Yankee.

& the Cowboys aren't a favorite team, I only got one favorite team. I'll root for the Saints when they play... & any NFC team playing an AFC team.

Norg
09-05-2012, 09:19 PM
david carr sighting :P

Norg
09-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Well I'm not going to be root'n for no Yankee.

dats true but IDK i guess my dad raised me to hate everything Dallas so LOL

GP
09-05-2012, 09:24 PM
The head ref is doing a great job so far.

And again: That Cowboys team is awful.

I think they finish last in their division.

aussie_texan
09-05-2012, 09:27 PM
your think Pat devlin is happy about being called romo now :spin:

TimeKiller
09-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Anybody else catch Queen Latifah's national anthem attempt?

Ouch.

GP
09-05-2012, 09:31 PM
The Nissan Altima commercial was really good.

Loved the slick handshake at the beginning.

GP
09-05-2012, 09:33 PM

Ouch.

Glad I missed it.

Fan of her as an actress. Not as a "musical artist."

GP
09-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Cowboys are freaking ugly. Ugggh-ly ugly.

How can Jerry Jones live with himself, putting that bad of a product on the field every year, year after year???

How can Cowboy fans tolerate this horrible rendition of football?

RCPM
09-05-2012, 09:36 PM
It hasn't got no better since the Anthem.

Pollardized
09-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Damn, DB is gonna be pissed when he realizes he left his phone somewhere while logged onto texanstalk.

RCPM
09-05-2012, 09:42 PM

I agree, I have (was) been a Steelers fan since around '76. Then the TEXANS happened! I hope we meet and kick the crap out of the Steelers in the AFC Championship!

DBCooper
09-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Damn, DB is gonna be pissed when he realizes he left his phone somewhere while logged onto texanstalk.

Lol

DBCooper
09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Cowboys are freaking ugly. Ugggh-ly ugly.

How can Jerry Jones live with himself, putting that bad of a product on the field every year, year after year???

How can Cowboy fans tolerate this horrible rendition of football?

Lol, you really like the Cowboys!

They are up on last years Super Bowl champion at halftime though.

thunderkyss
09-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Romo00000ooooooooo!!!!!!

GlassHalfFull
09-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Giant's secondary is not looking good at all.

gtexan02
09-05-2012, 10:23 PM
14-3. Not so ugly

thunderkyss
09-05-2012, 10:30 PM
damn..

thunderkyss
09-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Nvm

mattieuk
09-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I feel a Giants comeback here. Dallas just took a stupid personal foul against Eli.

HoustonFrog
09-05-2012, 10:51 PM
As a Cowboy fan it hasn't been pretty but I'll take lead. Though honestly it is playing out like other Giant losses where can't build on lead and give up quick scores. On a side note Eli is the luckiest and just flinging ball into bad coverage and having someone come down with it

The Medic01
09-05-2012, 11:02 PM
How many slants will Dallas throw this game. Seems like every other pass is a slant.

GP
09-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I jinxed the Giants.

Jerry Jones ran his mouth...and damn if his team didn't go out there and back it up tonight.

Which means Jerry will be even more obnoxious after the game and all week.

mattieuk
09-05-2012, 11:13 PM
That Austin touchdown was just brutal. The Giants were gifted a step back into the game and then pass it back to Dallas with a pretty little bow on it.

HoustonFrog
09-05-2012, 11:17 PM
This is where we had trouble last year...double digit leads. Play D!!!

BullBlitz
09-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I like when the camera swings up to Jerry making faces as Romo finds a way to turn the ball over on last drive.

I like when it swings up to him as the Cowboys are winning 24-10 with 3 minutes left.

Norg
09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
dayum dallas done did it got a divison road victory gotta give dem probs

GP
09-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Ogletree looking like Keshawn Martin tonight.

Hope Keshawn has that same kind of game vs Dolphins for us!

Playoffs
09-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Tony Romo took over, despite the poor line play.

Giants D-line got gassed bad, late in the game. Looked like preseason plus.

disaacks3
09-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Congrats to the cowgirls, didn't think they had it in them. Took it to the defending champs on their own turf!

HoustonFrog
09-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Ogletree looking like Keshawn Martin tonight.

Hope Keshawn has that same kind of game vs Dolphins for us!

Goes to show what a 3rd guy can do when teams have to worry about others. Laurent Robinson and now Ogletree. No drops too. Romo was nails tonight. Id like to see a season like that. Was impressed with Claiborne on Hicks much of game.

The1ApplePie
09-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Remember, this is the board where people pretend they were Oilers fans in the 1990s:splits:

We do have a few Cowboys fans on this board thankfully.

Secondary is nasty, Romo was ice, Murray is crazy.

100 sacks for D Ware too.

O-line is still a concern, Ryan can't seem to coach with a lead either.

Vinny
09-06-2012, 12:02 AM
I like when it swings up to him as the Cowboys are winning 24-10 with 3 minutes left.
I guess I gotta wait till it's closer to the playoffs to get my feel-good Jerrah moment.

Vinny
09-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Remember, this is the board where people pretend they were Oilers fans in the 1990s:splits:

try 70's 80's and 90's for me.

TexansBull
09-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Cowboys fan will sleep good tonight. This is what they went to bed thinking:

Dallas Win + Division Win + First Game Win + Beating Superbowl Champs=We're back!Superbowl!
That's all they need. That's all we will hear for 11 days. Sigh.

StarStruck
09-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Cowboys fan will sleep good tonight. This is what they went to bed thinking:

Dallas Win + Division Win + First Game Win + Beating Superbowl Champs=We're back!Superbowl!
That's all they need. That's all we will hear for 11 days. Sigh.

This Cowboys fan will sleep good tonight with a big sigh of relief, then it's on to one game at a time.

JCTexan
09-06-2012, 12:26 AM
I came away thinking two things tonight. 1: Dallas is a very talented team. They could be one of the best teams in the NFC. 2: They are extremely undisciplined. They committed over thirteen penalties tonight. Sooner or later that will end up biting them in the ass.

Rey
09-06-2012, 12:28 AM
if schaub plays like as good or bettdr than romo and eli tonight we'll be in great shape. I think id actually start believing this superbowl stuff...

Texan_Bill
09-06-2012, 12:33 AM

Yessir!!!! I'm not sure that I know or ApplePie himself, knows what he's talking about!

Then again Vinny, you have a couple of more years into the 70's than me!! ;)

Wolf6151
09-06-2012, 01:10 AM
I'm shocked. 24hrs. ago I would have bet $100 that the Giants would kick the crap out of the Cowboys at home. You know the Giants fans in N.Y. are pissed and the papers will be bashing them tomorrow morning. The Cowboys defense looked impressive.

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2012, 01:19 AM

What?

The 90's?

Try since the 60's. (Granted, late 60's.)

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2012, 01:20 AM
I didn't expect the Cowboys to win this one. Right up until that last first down, I thought they'd do something stupid to give it away.

Congrats to them.

infantrycak
09-06-2012, 01:21 AM

Not sure what you are talking about. I was an unabashed Cowboys fan until walking into Reliant and seeing the Texans beat the Cowboys on opening day.

Walking out with a win against my childhood team was legendary.

Bulls on Parade
09-06-2012, 06:09 AM
I also thought the Cowboys would blow the 14-point lead in the final 5 or 6 minutes of the game. But Tony Romo made the big play towards the end of the game (great pass) to seal the win. It's usually Eli Manning making the big plays at the end of games.

I thought Romo played exceptionally well. And Kevin Ogletree was sensational with 8 receptions, 114 receiving yards and 2 TDs. Congrats to the Cowboys for their opening night win.

Should we start printing our Texans versus Cowboys Super Bowl 47 tickets at the Superdome already? I say why not? LOL

thunderkyss
09-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Damn!! I fell asleep middle of the third Qtr.

I knew the boys were going to win though. As long as they help Romo with the running game, their gonna be ok.

It's impressive that they've gone on the road to defeat the defending Super Bowl Champion, if what they were saying last night is true, they are one of only two teams to do it.

gtexan02
09-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Drops killed the Giants. They are a pass first team and their receivers couldn't hold onto the ball

Hookem Horns
09-06-2012, 08:57 AM

I would hope the majority of people here who are over 30 would have been Oiler fans. This is the HOUSTON Texans.

GP
09-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Been an Oilers fan since late 80s, stopped watching when Oilers left town.

Started watching when Texans became a team. Although I'm not from Houston, I root for Stros/Rockets/Texans. I do not root for Rangers/Mavs/Cowboys except when Rangers or Mavs are in playoffs....will never ever root for Cowboys in any season, reg or post.

Back to topic:

Romo is better when he's scrambling. In the first half, he was in the pocket and couldn't do much. Giants ratcheted up the pressure in 2nd half, Romo rolls out, Romo starts making completions.

Gotta make Romo stay in the pocket and just use good coverage. Once he gets outside the pocket, that's when the team starts moving down the field.

HoustonFrog
09-06-2012, 09:26 AM
I came away thinking two things tonight. 1: Dallas is a very talented team. They could be one of the best teams in the NFC. 2: They are extremely undisciplined. They committed over thirteen penalties tonight. Sooner or later that will end up biting them in the ass.

Penalties has been an issue since the Wade days. I'm hoping some of it was getting a new center in the game within the 1st quarter so the counts were off and thus the false start and delay penalties. But they have had issues in the past. The different last night was having Romo with Murray. Murray keeps people honest. If he can stay healthy I'll be excited. I'll reserve all judgement until I've seen 16 games. I've seen fast starts, slow starts and everything in between evaporate at the end of seasons. No consistency in the past. But there was more toughness last night than in some other seasons.

Hookem Horns
09-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Penalties has been an issue since the Wade days.

The issue last night was the refs. These replacement refs are horrible. They were over calling some things and not calling other things. The NFL better wake up and get the real guys back on the field.

Playoffs
09-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Kiwanuka on refs no-calls: "I haven't been held so much since I was a baby."

HoustonFrog
09-06-2012, 09:59 AM
The issue last night was the refs. These replacement refs are horrible. They were over calling some things and not calling other things. The NFL better wake up and get the real guys back on the field.

True but I didn't want to sound like a ref whiner despite win. Both sides had their beefs. There were some poor and inconsistent spots on the ball too. But overall the Boys have had some penalty issues in the past.

Romo is better when he's scrambling. In the first half, he was in the pocket and couldn't do much. Giants ratcheted up the pressure in 2nd half, Romo rolls out, Romo starts making completions.

Gotta make Romo stay in the pocket and just use good coverage. Once he gets outside the pocket, that's when the team starts moving down the field.

True overall... but I think he made some strong pocket throws last night. The one that got him started was the one to Dez on sideline in second qtr. Perfect throw. After that they used pass to set up run and Murray is a load so once he started pounding things started working.

IlliniJen
09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/U4PFg.jpg

Hookem Horns
09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Kiwanuka on refs no-calls: "I haven't been held so much since I was a baby."

LOL, that is a good line. I saw a lot of holding and pass interference. The reffing was just bad for both sides.

SheTexan
09-06-2012, 10:44 AM
The reffing was just bad for both sides.

I heard the commentators say they thoght the refs were doing a pretty good job. Maybe that was before the zillion penalities they called all in a row. Soon there will be NO such thing as a 3hr game. Just tack on another hour for the refs to have time to figure out what they are doing. SMH!! Gonna be a LONG season if this keeps up!

As much as I detest the Cowboys, they simply outplayed the Giants. The G-men were flat, and just didn't seem to care. Really a strange game.

Vinny
09-06-2012, 11:52 AM
The Cowboys are better than I thought.

Romo was impressive. He seemed more controlled when he scrambled....hell he looked like Staubach at times. I think getting younger has helped them as they were getting too old.

NFL players on both sides of the ball....we shouldn't be too shocked at any outcome.

G-men secondary has big issues, and the Cowboy secondary was very impressive with their new corners.

GP
09-06-2012, 11:52 AM
True overall... but I think he made some strong pocket throws last night. The one that got him started was the one to Dez on sideline in second qtr. Perfect throw. After that they used pass to set up run and Murray is a load so once he started pounding things started working.

Yeah, the one throw to Dez was the exception to the rule. BUT...even on that very throw, it was a one-on-one situation and pretty much a timed throw to Dez...to me, that's the equivalent of a rollout. Anything that isn't pure pocket passing, IMO, is trying to do one thing: Avoid the pass rush by virtue of bailing out your o-line via a three-step drop or a rollout.

Our team does it a lot, to great success, and I think it's because our o-line is built for mobility in the ZBS run game...so we gotta' help the o-line out by doing bootlegs and stuff. Yes, there are obviously times when Schaub and Romo are in the pocket and stay there...yet if it's truth telling time here, we'd prefer our QBs to be outside of the pocket and taking advantage of mismatches based on making the secondary and LBs have to track and trace out all the WRs and TE and RB options that are running around out there.

Once Romo starting rolling out, the LBs sort of stopped keying on Murray and the run game...it froze the LBs and the DL to an extent, made them think twice about just flooding the backfield to try and get the RB because Romo was such a threat himself. This then opened up the running game.

To me, Romo's ability to throw on the run is what makes that Cowboys team decent. In the first half, the o-coord was trying to have Romo stand in the pocket and Romo's o-line was getting murdered the whole first half. Second half looked like a huge change of direction and the Giants fell for it, they thought they could get to Romo and he kept escaping and that was all she wrote for the Giants.

To beat the Cowboys, you have to play Romo correctly. Keep him in the pocket, stack the secondary and do lots of zone stuff (which is usually how defenses get easy interceptions on Romo). Once Romo starts getting his Favre on, it's over. Unless Romo finds a way to blow it at the end, or their defense blows it at the end. Romo reminds me so much of Brett Favre in a lot of ways.

Romo is the key to that offense. Ware is the key to that defense. Remove those two guys and the Cowboys become very mortal.

2012Champs
09-06-2012, 12:31 PM

I heard on Mike and Mike yesterday that the sticking point with the Refs is that they want a nfl pension in addition to the nfl 401k. The problem with that is that not all NFL full time employees get access to the pension program and the Ref are only part time employees. Interesting sticking point that has nothing to do with the game

gtexan02
09-06-2012, 12:50 PM
I honestly didnt think the refs did a bad job. At least, not compared with the regular refs. The losing team always whines about the refs, now they just have a "legitimate" reason to do so.

Every time they called a major penalty, they showed a replay and I thought they got it right. The Cowboys did false start a bunch. The roughing the passer penalty was legit. The holds were legit.

The only penalty I saw get wrong was the "clipping" penalty that should have been a block in the back. Other than thought, i thought it was fine

I think the worst part of the replacement ref situation is that the players are trying to get away with more illegal stuff and when they get called on it, they mouth off to the refs. Every time a team loses we are going to hear "The replacement refs suck" We hear about how bad the refs are anyway, its just going to be louder because these are replacements

Remember this? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3594778
Its not like the regular refs were consistently good
I can bring up 10 threads in 10 minutes complaining about the refs impact on Texans games. Imagine how many more of those we're going to get this season...

Double Barrel
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Ouch.

I'm not a big fan of the original version *gasp!*, so I won't be as critical with the revision. I actually started disliking it less toward the end. It's a boring song. It just is. The fact is that it's based on a boring British song. I personally think this country need a new anthem.

No doubt. The bitterness I have toward Bud Adams did not come from nothing. It was forged through decades of supporting a team through good times and bad, only to have the collective beating hearts of football fanatics ripped out of our collective chests and stomped on by the jack-booted thuggery of that fat bastid.

The Cowboys are better than I thought.

Romo was impressive. He seemed more controlled when he scrambled....hell he looked like Staubach at times. I think getting younger has helped them as they were getting too old.

NFL players on both sides of the ball....we shouldn't be too shocked at any outcome.

G-men secondary has big issues, and the Cowboy secondary was very impressive with their new corners.

I was impressed with the Cowboys, and I think upgrading their secondary is going to really pay off in the long run.

Romo kind of reminds me of Brett Favre with the way that he rolls out of pressure, scrambles like crazy, and gun slings the ball just a split second before getting hit.

He's got some weapons, too. I think Dallas could end up competing for that division, especially if they can consistently play like they did last night. Flat for a half, but then started putting together some nice drives and playing some solid defense.

Rey
09-06-2012, 01:59 PM
The only penalty I saw get wrong was the "clipping" penalty that should have been a block in the back. Other than thought, i thought it was fine

Clipping is a block in the back.

I thought the refs were fine too. At the end of the day I don't think they took away from the game and they didn't add to it.

I have said this before but I think the refs will get better with the more reps they get. They are not close to the regular refs, but if those guys don't come back soon, they may find that their leverage will have decreased.

Personally, I think they are overplaying their hand. If the replacement refs have games that are similar to last night without many major errors people will forget about them. People watch the game for the players. Not the refs. I feel for them, but iiwii.

Pretty soon they could become an afterthought. And that's not a good thing for what they want to accomplish.

infantrycak
09-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I have said this before but I think the refs will get better with the more reps they get. They are not close to the regular refs, but if those guys don't come back soon, they may find that their leverage will have decreased.

Totally agreed. The regular refs better get something done because the more games the replacements play the more normal it will feel and the better they will get. The regulars will lose major leverage.

DBCooper
09-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Totally agreed. The regular refs better get something done because the more games the replacements play the more normal it will feel and the better they will get. The regulars will lose major leverage.

Sunday may be a different story, I'm guessing these guys were hand picked for this gig.

thunderkyss
09-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Remember this? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3594778
Its not like the regular refs were consistently good
I can bring up 10 threads in 10 minutes complaining about the refs impact on Texans games. Imagine how many more of those we're going to get this season...

Good point. I never thought the refs were perfect. They all make mistakes, & sometimes I have felt they favor particular players.... Brady, Peyton, Irving, Revis.

Like Basketball & Boxing, as long as they are consistent, I don't care. If you're going to be strict with the definition of "holding" for one team, be as strict with the definition for the other team.

If you straight up missed a call, fine. Don't "make it up" to the other team, just get it right next time.

thunderkyss
09-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I was impressed with the Cowboys, and I think upgrading their secondary is going to really pay off in the long run.

I question how "upgraded" the secondary really is. I saw some serious fundamental "errors" that I think the Giants simply did not exploit. I think the Giants offense was more bad than the Cowboys defense was good.

We'll see in the upcoming weeks, but the Giants struggles in the running game is going to be a big problem... I think.

Vinny
09-06-2012, 10:14 PM
I question how "upgraded" the secondary really is. I saw some serious fundamental "errors" that I think the Giants simply did not exploit. I think the Giants offense was more bad than the Cowboys defense was good.

We'll see in the upcoming weeks, but the Giants struggles in the running game is going to be a big problem... I think.massive upgrade with Claiborne and Carr. Last year they couldn't put any of their cb's on an island. Ryan can play his scheme now...last year he got burned when he had to rely on his cover corners. That defense looks like night and day right now.