PDA

View Full Version : Houston Cougars 2012

texanhead08
09-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Coogs open up vs Texas St tonight. The last time they met UH won 68-28. Here are some of the keys to the season:

1. David Piland at QB I hope the redshirt year helped him get stronger and he has to keep his interceptions down.

2. Defense has to continue the improvment from last year. I know based on how UH plays offense they are going to give up some yards because they are on the field so much, but they need to cause turnovers and give the offense extra possessions and limit the big plays of the other team.

3.WR play- The new WR have to grow up in a hurry and I believe they will be ok, but the guys they are replacing left a mark on the UH record books and the new crew could still be solid and not live up to what the prior WR's did.

4. The new coaching staff has to make this season a smoth transition. The last coaching change it took the team about a month to adjust. I don't think it will be that bad this time because they will not be putting in a new radical system like last time.

I am thinking 9-3 for this season and possibly making the CUSA Championship game if all breaks right.

gwallaia
09-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I will be there tonight anxious to see the Post-Keenum era begin and the last season for Robertson Stadium.

texanhead08
09-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I will be there tonight anxious to see the Post-Keenum era begin and the last season for Robertson Stadium.

I am looking forward to it this should be a good game for the new guys to get some experience before thr tougher opponets. I can't wait to get out there this evening.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Go Coogs!!!

Hervoyel
09-01-2012, 07:53 PM
So it appears the 2012 Houston Cougars aren't going to be doing that whole "defense thingy"?

Texan_Bill
09-01-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the invite!! :kitten:

Texan_Bill
09-01-2012, 08:00 PM
So it appears the 2012 Houston Cougars aren't going to be doing that whole "defense thingy"?

Herv, other than a stand-out player here or there, it's been a long time since the Coogs had a *ahem* "Defense thingy"!

gwallaia
09-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Posting from the game. Wtf my Coogs look like ****

Heath Shuler
09-01-2012, 09:59 PM
wow. U of H was about a 35 point favorite.

Texan4Ever
09-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Michigan is getting its butt whooped so I thought I would check the TexSt VS UH score and I saw 30-13 State.

I thought I was drunk but after hitting refresh, I realized not...

WHAT THE FCUK IS GOING ON?!?!?! ITS FRIGGIN' TEXAS STATE!!!

Honoring Earl 34
09-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Anyone bet 3 million on this game ?

Hervoyel
09-01-2012, 10:18 PM
http://www.brady-quinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/ohnowesuckagain.jpg

Too soon?

I'm sure they'll get it sorted out.

TexanSam
09-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Man, I wish I had gone to the game. Texas State's first game as a D-1 school and we won! Eat 'em up!!

gwallaia
09-02-2012, 12:33 AM
I have been a Cougar for 27 years. This is the first time I have really been ashamed and disgusted with the team. If you can't beat ****ing Texas State, you don't need to be playing football.

The whole team looked like ****.

The Texans better make my football life worth living.

b0ng
09-02-2012, 01:25 AM
Holy suit that is so embarrassing. That sucks.

AnthonyE
09-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Man, I wish I had gone to the game. Texas State's first game as a D-1 school and we won! Eat 'em up!!

To be fair FCS is D-1. It's not too crazy to believe that an FCS school can beat a CUSA school. It's nice seeing a Southland Conference team making the jump and winning right out the gate. It really gives us a good example on SHSU's chances at success if we were to move up.

OrangeLotPole8
09-02-2012, 11:16 AM
As a 1992 UH graduate, and a season ticket holder, this was the WORST showing I have ever seen in 20 years. I was thinking 8-4 for the season...... now I am thinking 3-9!!!!!!!!!! Piland and the efense (notice NO D) were pathetic all night long!!!!!! :gun: I am just stunned....... there is NO WAY UH SHOULD LOSE TO TEXAS FFFFFFING STATE!!!!!!!!

Texan4Ever
09-02-2012, 11:18 AM
While we're at it, can anyone explain to me why we hired Levine instead of going out to find a HC like Rhoades said we would? If the Coogs keep this up, I hope all the idiots that voted for the stadium referendum can shut up about how important Cougar football is to the school and how it elevates their worthless degree.

gwallaia
09-02-2012, 11:25 AM
My UH degree has helped me a great deal. WTF are you talking about?

Texan4Ever
09-02-2012, 01:59 PM
My UH degree has helped me a great deal. WTF are you talking about?

Just angry at the piss poor performance on the field, that is all. On a serious note, if the fans know what the problem has consistently been, why doesn't the coaching staff do anything about it?!?!?!

gwallaia
09-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Just angry at the piss poor performance on the field, that is all. On a serious note, if the fans know what the problem has consistently been, why doesn't the coaching staff do anything about it?!?!?!

I'm pissed off as well and sent an strongly worded but respectful email to Mack Rhoades for what its worth.

The coaching staff did not have the team prepared and Piland was bewildered and lost the entire game. LA Tech is a much better team than Tx. St. I don't know how we are going to hold up against them. Levine and Nesbitt need to get their **** together quick.

LonerATO
09-02-2012, 03:44 PM
I graduated from both schools, it was a win-win for me. I will say this, you cannot and I mean cannot discount Coach Fran. UH got out coached and the players looked like they got punched in the gut. I think the Cougars thought that they were going to just steamroll the Bobcats.

texanhead08
09-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I graduated from both schools, it was a win-win for me. I will say this, you cannot and I mean cannot discount Coach Fran. UH got out coached and the players looked like they got punched in the gut. I think the Cougars thought that they were going to just steamroll the Bobcats.

I have always respected Coach Fran's offensive mind. He got messed up in colleyville because he never found anyone to take care of the defense like Patterson did at TCU. I was afraid his option game would keep it close but I never thought they would hold UH to 13 points I don't care if Helen Hunt was at QB.

This coaching staff and players has some serious problems to fix before LA Tech next saturday.

gwallaia
09-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Well Mack Rhoades responded to my email I sent him this morning. I'm sure it was the same response he gave to all the other emails I'm sure he has received.

He's upset and disappointed as all Cougars are but is confident in Levine. He is especially upset with the defense.

steelbtexan
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm pissed off as well and sent an strongly worded but respectful email to Mack Rhoades for what its worth.

The coaching staff did not have the team prepared and Piland was bewildered and lost the entire game. LA Tech is a much better team than Tx. St. I don't know how we are going to hold up against them. Levine and Nesbitt need to get their **** together quick.

New AD - went for cheap- bad hire.

Helton era, once again.

Bulls on Parade
09-03-2012, 07:17 AM
Are we not even on Texas State's level? That was quite a disappointing game on Saturday Night but you have to give Dennis Franchione a lot of credit. He'll lead Texas State to a bowl game sooner rather than later. And we're stuck with a mediocre head coach in Houston. I sure do miss Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin.

Heath Shuler
09-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Houston offensive coordinator resigns after upset loss

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/houston-offensive-coordinator-resigns-upset-150008751--ncaaf.html

University of Houston offensive coordinator Mike Nesbitt resigned on Monday, two days after the Cougars' upset loss to Texas State.

"We wise Mike the best in his future endeavors and thank him for his contributions to the program," coach Tony Levine announced Monday.

Assistant coach Travis Bush will call plays and had spent the previous three seasons as co-offensive coordinator at Texas State.

Houston scored 13 points in Saturday's loss, tied for the second-fewest in a game since 2007.

Levine replaced Kevin Sumlin, who guided Houston to a 12-1 record and TicketCity Bowl victory last season. Houston finished the 2011 season ranked 18th in the AP poll

OrangeLotPole8
09-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Man, Nesbitt has a one game career as UH OC.......a record opening day crowd, Texas State in the house, big expectations for the season, and a 17 point loss that you were never really in the game after halftime. I am not saying it is all Nesbitts fault, but SOMETHING had to be done, head coach isn't going to fire himself, the defense did adjust at halftime and only gave up 3 points in the second half. If UH does not win 7 games and get a bowl bid, this is not a successful season. :pissed:

Showtime100
09-03-2012, 11:16 AM
I'm here in this thread to stand by the team in defeat but with nothing to add/say. I still can't believe it.

OrangeLotPole8
09-03-2012, 03:18 PM
This game ranks among the worse 5 losses in UH history. :gun:

LonerATO
09-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm not saying this because the guy just got fired, but I was never really happy with Levine's pick of Nesbitt. Levine said he picked the guy based on stats from the games he was involved in.

OrangeLotPole8
09-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Not that UH is "BIG TIME" football....... but look at Nesbitts resume, the BEST he has was at Blinn Junior College and SFA, he has NEVER been at a school coaching in major D-I, he was a PUNTER in college, not like he was involved in high tech game plan and film watching when he was a player at New Mexico.

texanhead08
09-03-2012, 03:43 PM
They went cheap on every hire since Mack was hired. This one bit them square in the ass instantly and now they are trying to save face. They better show some serious improvement come saturday or its really going to get ugly.

OrangeLotPole8
09-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I am serious, I think this season could become one of the worst in a long time. I honestly can't say anything good about what I saw from the opening kickoff till the gun went off other than Larry McDuffy making the great run after catch early in the game. UH had soooooo much momentum coming into this season, it took them a long time to get, they cant screw this season up!

SteveSlaton20
09-03-2012, 05:28 PM
wow, can't believe y'all got whooped by the bobcats.

does uh have a depth chart? curious because my former teammate is a player there.

TexanSam
09-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Just found out that if you bet $100 for Texas State to beat UH straight up you would have won $11,500. Son of a *****!! Kicking myself right now for not putting money down on the game.

badboy
09-04-2012, 11:19 AM
UH QB cannot get drafted & is re-assigned to PS. If UH wants to matter going forward it needs to commit to a pro style offense that gives players chance to succeed in NFL, then high school standouts will want to come here.

Speedy
09-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Why did they let Keenum go? I mean he was there what, 6 or 7 years?

gwallaia
09-05-2012, 02:41 PM
I actually sent an email to Mack Rhoades, the AD at UH. It was strongly worded but very respectful. The next thing I know, the OC is strongly urged to resign and is gone the very next day.

Rhodes did return my email within a few hours and expressed his agreement with my disgust and thanked me for my support.

texanhead08
09-05-2012, 06:39 PM
UH QB cannot get drafted & is re-assigned to PS. If UH wants to matter going forward it needs to commit to a pro style offense that gives players chance to succeed in NFL, then high school standouts will want to come here.

We tried that once and it was an utter fail. Thanks but no thanks. Its whomever the coach is at UH's job is to win games not prepare players for the pros. We can't recruit the top level talent it takes to run a pro set. When UH has been successful its because we have used an offense that equalizes the talent when we play more talented teams.

Texan4Ever
09-05-2012, 09:38 PM
wow, can't believe y'all got whooped by the bobcats.

does uh have a depth chart? curious because my former teammate is a player there.

Check out the rivals.com team site for UH, it should be there but I think it's only Rivals best guess.

We tried that once and it was an utter fail. Thanks but no thanks. Its whomever the coach is at UH's job is to win games not prepare players for the pros. We can't recruit the top level talent it takes to run a pro set. When UH has been successful its because we have used an offense that equalizes the talent when we play more talented teams.

I forgot the name of the coach but he moved away from recruiting Houston-area guys to players outside the city and that's the reason why it wasn't a success.

The key to having a successful football program is to have a decision maker that knows a thing or two about football. Take for example Michigan post-Carr era:

They had a five-star rated quarterback in Ryan Mallet who was the next best thing and yet, they go out and hire Rich Rodriguez whose offense requires a speedy, mobile quarterback instead of a pure pro-style player.

The city of Houston could also help by improving the area around UH and UH can also try to make the school more attractive (e.g. better dorms, more assistance for players, something along these lines).

Coaches have to be able to either A.) Sell the program (e.g. Alabama) or B.) Sell the school and let the school's reputation be the convincing factor (e.g. Michigan, Cal-Berkley) or both.

Besides this, you will end up with one to two-star athletes who just want to play ball and attend classes and most likely won't be top-rated NFL players.

gwallaia
09-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Kim Helton is the coach you are thinking of. One of the worst coaches in the history of college football.

Texan_Bill
09-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Kim Helton is the coach you are thinking of. One of the worst coaches in the history of college football.

Kim Helton........... The WORST ever!!!

Texan4Ever
09-05-2012, 10:17 PM

His record may suck but he did attempt to turn UH football towards a different direction and unfortunately it didn't work out.

UH needs to move away from their pass-heavy offense and either have a balanced spread attack a la Ohio State or turn into a spread offense with zone reads like West Virginia under Rich Rodriguez.

That and hire a DC who can recruit and get the right types of players on the team. No more linebackers that are built like safeties.

Just my thoughts...

Texan_Bill
09-05-2012, 11:30 PM
His record may suck but he did attempt to turn UH football towards a different direction and unfortunately it didn't work out.

UH needs to move away from their pass-heavy offense and either have a balanced spread attack a la Ohio State or turn into a spread offense with zone reads like West Virginia under Rich Rodriguez.

That and hire a DC who can recruit and get the right types of players on the team. No more linebackers that are built like safeties.

Just my thoughts...

Dude, OSU was a terrible mention. Understood what you meant by a more balanced attack, and that's a viable argument BUT OSU? Really??? We don't play in the "stuck in the mud" Big 10.

Texan4Ever
09-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Dude, OSU was a terrible mention. Understood what you meant by a more balanced attack, and that's a viable argument BUT OSU? Really??? We don't play in the "stuck in the mud" Big 10.

LOL, OSU was a bad mention. It came up in my mind because they run a spread offense with a solid running game (or that's what they did pre-Urban Meyer era).

texanhead08
09-06-2012, 11:47 PM

Just my thoughts...

You do realize UH is in CUSA right?? UH has never been able to go into the 5 star recruits homes and get them away from the major powers it was like that in the SWC days and its especially true today. That's why UH when it was most successful did it with talent that the other schools missed out on. They did it with WR who weren't 6'3 and built like Andre Johnson. They did it by turning 5'7 former QB Jason Phillips into an all american. They did it with a QB like Andre Ware who every other school that recruited him wanted to turn him into a DB. UH is not Ohio St it doesn't have the money from alums that those major powers have and I doubt it will even be close in my lifetime. We have to grab guys that the big schools misjudge and from the guys who slip through the cracks and get coached up.

badboy
09-07-2012, 03:25 PM
We tried that once and it was an utter fail. Thanks but no thanks. Its whomever the coach is at UH's job is to win games not prepare players for the pros. We can't recruit the top level talent it takes to run a pro set. When UH has been successful its because we have used an offense that equalizes the talent when we play more talented teams.And that is why better players are going elsewhere to increase chances in pros.

badboy
09-07-2012, 03:28 PM
You do realize UH is in CUSA right?? UH has never been able to go into the 5 star recruits homes and get them away from the major powers it was like that in the SWC days and its especially true today. That's why UH when it was most successful did it with talent that the other schools missed out on. They did it with WR who weren't 6'3 and built like Andre Johnson. They did it by turning 5'7 former QB Jason Phillips into an all american. They did it with a QB like Andre Ware who every other school that recruited him wanted to turn him into a DB. UH is not Ohio St it doesn't have the money from alums that those major powers have and I doubt it will even be close in my lifetime. We have to grab guys that the big schools misjudge and from the guys who slip through the cracks and get coached up.How did those guys do in pros? You made my point that players go to UH only if no other better choice.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
09-08-2012, 07:26 PM
http://www.brady-quinn.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/ohnowesuckagain.jpg

Too soon?

I'm sure they'll get it sorted out.

It's easier just to quote this. It pretty much spells it out....

However.....I would love to eat crow if Levine can turn this thing around

Rey
09-08-2012, 07:43 PM
I just thought about this, but the oc that "resigned" was the coach for my brothers team.

I remember watching games and just thinking how bad he sucked. Absolutely awful play calling.

I was talking about it with my brother today.

Showtime100
09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Damn Rey, why didn't you say something? It's Rey's fault. :D :D

Rey
09-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Damn Rey, why didn't you say something? It's Rey's fault. :D :D

LOL...For some reason it didn't click with me until today when he asked me if I heard about the UH OC...

Stephen F Austin is better off without him...

Can't say this enough, but he is an awful play caller. I don't understand why he gets jobs.

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 09:15 PM
Dang Keenum made this team so much better, where are all the big plays at ?

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Dline and secondary are terrible, along with this new QB. Man this team is miles away from being good

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Pretty sure i just proved my entire point about the dline and secondary in one play haha

Rey
09-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Dang Keenum made this team so much better, where are all the big plays at ?

Sumlin deserves some credit too.

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Sumlin deserves some credit too.

agree but lord, cant tackle cant catch, you call slants all night for 5-8 yards and then on 4th down u decide lets throw it over their heads, i mean really ???

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 09:57 PM
LA is calling the same 3 plays over and over and over haha and we cant stop them.

Hervoyel
09-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm kind of ashamed at what UH is putting on the field this year. After all the hard work and effort that's gone into getting the program to have a pulse again we step into 2012 with everything to play for and yet these guys look like some Kim Helton/Dana Dimmel teams. Like you said Ellis, "can't tackle, can't catch". This isn't good enough. This is where you either continue to go forward and take the team to the next level or slink back into your hole and putz around for another few years. Looks like the Cougars are happy to get their new stadium and putz around.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
09-08-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm kind of ashamed at what UH is putting on the field this year. After all the hard work and effort that's gone into getting the program to have a pulse again we step into 2012 with everything to play for and yet these guys look like some Kim Helton/Dana Dimmel teams. Like you said Ellis, "can't tackle, can't catch". This isn't good enough. This is where you either continue to go forward and take the team to the next level or slink back into your hole and putz around for another few years. Looks like the Cougars are happy to get their new stadium and putz around.

Looks like they have no discipline. Obviously Piland is no Keenum, but he's made some good enough throws tonight that are dropped or right off the hands. There was a earlier drive with 2-3 offensive penalties in a row, Backs running into each other in the backfield, fumbles and the list of follies goes on and on.

I wonder if the big east is having buyers remorse after tonight (pending a Keenum like comeback), and last week.

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 10:19 PM

Isnt Houston going to another conference next season ? Or did that never officially go thru ?

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 10:22 PM
This team needs to practice

EllisUnit
09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Damn the Freshman who just fumbled is crying. Man i havent seen that before

Rey
09-08-2012, 11:15 PM
I didnt go to u of h, but being from Houston I've always rooted for then ever since I became aware if their existence.

I'm not even an alum or anything and I feel bad watching the coogs. It's embarrassing really. Hopefully they have a come to Jesus meeting and at least start looking like a functional team.

Mr. White
09-09-2012, 12:03 AM
You guys remember when Dom Capers fired Chris Palmer after the 2nd game of the season?

Yeah...that kind of year.

Hervoyel
09-09-2012, 01:08 AM
Isnt Houston going to another conference next season ? Or did that never officially go thru ?

Yes they are and if they keep this up I think it's safe to say that whoever normally occupies the Big East cellar is licking their chops right now. They do look terribly unfocused out there. Piland isn't doing all that bad. He looks green but I'd expect that. He's making the throws and hitting guys who are just dropping the ball and look like they weren't even expecting it.

Levine is going to go down as a mistake. He might have been that unavoidable crappy coach who follows a good one or he might just be that guy who can coach but can't lead. Whatever it is we're going to have to sit here and watch it run its course. If I was the Big East I'd be having second thoughts. UH got that invitation in writing I hope.

76Texan
09-11-2012, 05:42 PM
I had a lot and I mean A LOT of doubt about the Cougars this year.

Sumlin+Keenum = stability

The move to a 4-3 defense was not welcome news either.

And of course, losing a couple of offensive linemen is never good news.

TexanDave
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
It's hard being a Cougar fan but a Cougar fan I will be.

Showtime100
09-12-2012, 02:02 PM
It's hard being a Cougar fan but a Cougar fan I will be.

+1

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Sports%20Logos/untitled-2.png

OrangeLotPole8
09-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Does anybody know what channel the pac12 network is on xfinity?

AnthonyE
09-16-2012, 04:35 PM
I sure wish SHSU played UH instead of Baylor yesterday.

SteveSlaton20
09-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Check out the rivals.com team site for UH, it should be there but I think it's only Rivals best guess.

I don't see him on there :/

steelbtexan
09-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Seems like Sumlin got out when the getting was good.

texanhead08
09-22-2012, 02:01 PM
This has been a disaster, but Sumlin doesn't get a free pass. It looks bad on him that we have poor WR,QB,and everything else. He rode Keenum's coatails to the A$M job, and lucked out in having a good QB there already. He has yet to prove as a college coach he can reruit a division I QB.

Levine looks like a huge mistake and he looks like he has no business being a head coach. This hire is a disaster and the AD needs to have his ass on the line for making this hire and being cheap with the coaching staff as well.

LonerATO
09-23-2012, 02:41 AM
This has been a disaster, but Sumlin doesn't get a free pass. It looks bad on him that we have poor WR,QB,and everything else. He rode Keenum's coatails to the A$M job, and lucked out in having a good QB there already. He has yet to prove as a college coach he can reruit a division I QB.

Levine looks like a huge mistake and he looks like he has no business being a head coach. This hire is a disaster and the AD needs to have his ass on the line for making this hire and being cheap with the coaching staff as well.

Levine is a first time head coach without a stellar WB. Sumlin and Art both had two amazing college QB's in Kolb and Keenum, Piland is not close to either one. I just think people are over reacting right now, just not used to losing like this in a long time. Was Levine the right hire? Probably not, but he should be given the chance to play out this year and the next, but I can't see him finishing out his 5-year deal unless he starts winning.

OrangeLotPole8
09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UH goes a Saturday without a loss!!!!!!!!!! :hurrah:

texanhead08
09-28-2012, 12:56 PM
Bayou Bucket game tomorrow at Reliant.

GO COOGS !!

gwallaia
09-29-2012, 10:55 PM
That's more like it.

Showtime100
09-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I'm breathing a little easier...lol.

texanhead08
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
A win is a win, but Nerd U has to be the worst team I have ever seen.

Showtime100
10-06-2012, 06:11 PM
What the hell is going on at uhcougars???????

Last year there was an online board there. No more?????

Help me Greg

texanhead08
10-11-2012, 10:11 PM
This should be a fun week for me. Coogs vs UAB saturday morning, Texans vs Pack sunday night, then thursday Coogs vs ****lin ponies in dallas.

mexican_texan
10-11-2012, 10:42 PM
I really like Piland. And Kenneth Farrow, he was an absolute beast in the Spring game and is starting to come good.

gwallaia
10-11-2012, 10:55 PM
What the hell is going on at uhcougars???????

Last year there was an online board there. No more?????

Help me Greg

I go to www.coogfans.com. They changed their format but changed it back to the old format fairly quick.

TexanDave
10-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I go to www.coogfans.com. They changed their format but changed it back to the old format fairly quick.

I went to coogfans the other day but every time I would try to make a post it would take me to a totally different page. I will have to try it again if they went back to the old format.

NitroGSXR
10-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Just learned one of our current Sigma Phi Epsilon boys did this jump earlier this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY0P6EB7mJY&feature=youtu.be

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9mSTsx4g2m8FgO6qWenD2xJCSF5I-vmgke9-UmcFsW7f-aJiYVA

texanhead08
10-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Good performance yesterday, but we have to get better in the red zone. UH settled for way too many fg's yesterday.

gwallaia
10-14-2012, 01:41 PM
The Cougars defense had 11 sacks. That might be an all-time UH record.

texanhead08
10-15-2012, 02:04 AM
The Cougars defense had 11 sacks. That might be an all-time UH record.

I think the record was against Wyoming in 88. I remember Glenn Montgomery had 8 by himself that night.

texanhead08
10-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Coogs -5 @SMU thursday night.

TexanDave
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
On homecoming our uniform will get to look as ugly as our season on the field.

http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2012/10/cougars-unveil-commemorative-homecoming-jersey/

:facepalm:

texanhead08
10-24-2012, 12:47 PM
On homecoming our uniform will get to look as ugly as our season on the field.

http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2012/10/cougars-unveil-commemorative-homecoming-jersey/

:facepalm:

This isn't too bad there are a lot of crazy uniforms being used around the country. Its not as bad as what Notre Dame wore a few weeks ago.

gwallaia
10-24-2012, 01:14 PM
I disapprove.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Looks kinda a room wear one that you wear to sit around house and sleep with it.

Showtime100
10-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Ugh. And 53% approve??

SteveSlaton20
10-28-2012, 04:12 PM
My former teammate had his first career start yesterday, and his first career sack. Couldnt watch the game since I didn't have the channel it was on. Hopefully he'll continue to start and get a lot more PT.

EllisUnit
11-03-2012, 12:00 PM
I love UH, but this team is an embarrasment to watch, man they are going to be eaten up moving to a BCS conference next season.

Good news is my 17 year old brother will prob be playing there in a few seasons. He is a 6'2 275 center for huntsville only a junior now but already getting A LOT of attention from some very big schools. But he wants to play at UH

TexanSam
11-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Just read about the injury to D.J. Hayden...holy cow. He is lucky to be alive, according to the team physician. My thoughts go out to him and I hope he makes a full recovery.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/Doctor-UH-corner-s-freak-injury-unheard-of-in-4020763.php

Houston cornerback D.J. Hayden suffered an injury that "has never been seen or reported in association with a football injury" and has a 95 percent fatality rate, team physician Dr. Walter Lowe said Thursday.

In a statement released by UH, Lowe confirmed that Hayden required immediate surgery Tuesday night for a tear of the inferior vena cava, the large vein that carries blood from the lower half of the body back to the heart.

Lowe described the injury as "very serious and life threatening."

Hayden is alert but remains in stable but critical condition in the intensive care unit at Memorial Hermann Hospital, the school said.

The Houston Chronicle reported the severity of Hayden's condition Wednesday.

"This injury has never been seen or reported in association with a football injury and is more associated with high-speed motor vehicle," Lowe said.

Lowe credited the quick action of the UH training staff, EMS paramedics and the trauma staff at Memorial Hermann Hospital, including operating surgeon Dr. John Holcomb.

Hayden was rushed by ambulance to Memorial Hermann on Tuesday afternoon after being involved in a collision with a teammate in practice.

Coach Tony Levine said the injury will sideline Hayden, a senior from Elkins, for the remainder of the season.

"D.J. is a tremendous young man and has been a great asset to our program, both on and off the field," Levine said in a statement. "I ask that everyone continue to keep D.J. and his family in their thoughts and prayers.

gwallaia
11-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, crazy injury and it happened in practice.

gwallaia
11-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Rendering of new Stadium

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549053_10100817595643946_657459782_n.jpg

Hervoyel
11-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Rendering of new Stadium

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549053_10100817595643946_657459782_n.jpg

Hmmmm. Very.......generic. I don't know, maybe pro stadium have left me with unrealistic expectation. Looks like a concrete box to me. If memory serves isn't it supposed to be expandable in the future? Yes, I still have high hopes for the program. Hopefully Levine doesn't sink it entirely before this thing gets built.

gwallaia
11-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Initial capacity will be 40,000 and expandable to 50,000. The stadium will be oriented in a northwesterly direction with the Houston skyline as the focal point. The architectural design is modestly sleek.

As for Levine, he looks lost wandering the sidelines.

LonerATO
11-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I would like for the stadium to connect to the stadium parking garage.

LonerATO
11-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Not really happy with UH going to what will become C-USA 2.0. I can see the basketball schools forming their own basketball conference, so as not to dilute their product, we also have the rumor that Boise State, SDSU looking to not leave MWC and BYU contemplating rejoining the MWC. I would much rather have UH join a reformed and stronger MWC then the new Big East.

gwallaia
11-27-2012, 08:42 PM
I would not touch the Big East with a 10' pole.

EllisUnit
12-01-2012, 02:00 PM
i wish UH could get into the Big 12. It makes the most sense to me anyways.

NitroGSXR
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Rendering of new Stadium

Man... I'd love to stripe that.

LonerATO
12-02-2012, 01:54 AM

Better to be a doormat for a few years in a conference that matters, than be in a scrub conference with not chance at a major bowl or playoff spot.

gwallaia
12-03-2012, 09:00 AM

As soon as Hell freezes over, UH will be invited to the Big 12.

texanhead08
12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
LB Phillip Steward named Sports Illustrated Honorable Mention All America today.

LonerATO
12-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Looks like Rhoades is Hell bent on staying in the Big East, comes with a crappy TV contract and increased travel cost.

EllisUnit
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Looks like Rhoades is Hell bent on staying in the Big East, comes with a crappy TV contract and increased travel cost.

May be but it will be better coverage than conference USA for sure.

Showtime100
12-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't know if anyone read somewhere here that my dad died December of last year. Well, a year later my mom has come to the point of healing that she wants us, us meaning his kids, to get of his whatever me might want and for whatever reason we might have.

I hope this doesn't sound cold, his death of course was very hard to cope with for a while and it was the first of our immediate family, I still think of him every day. Thing is, I scored!...lol.

Also as some here might know, my dad is a Coog, grad of '64 and as a benefit I saw the glory day of UH sports first hand. That's how I came to love the Coogs myself. Thanks so much, dad.

Turns out my old man was holding out on me. He had some historic shirts (if you will) that are in perfect, just off the rack condition!! Mom says he kept them that way for me and I am touched.

First, a Liberty Bowl shirt...
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Houston%20Cougars/resized4_zpsf89cc2d1.jpg

Now for the really cool stuff, '79 SWC Champs..
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Houston%20Cougars/resized1_zps351bcd2c.jpg

A 1976 SWC Champs shirt....
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Houston%20Cougars/resized3_zps05143a39.jpg

1983 Final Four, Albuquerque.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r65/ShowtimeN15580/Houston%20Cougars/resized5_zps91d45916.jpg

I had the SWC shirts myself but on my back they lasted only a short time...lol. Also recieved quite a few other UH things, So Long Guy V Lewis towel, among other towels, other shirts...etc. THANKS DAD!!!!

76Texan
12-30-2012, 09:51 AM
From CougarsFans.com

The University of Houston and the SWC

By EatEmUp
April 9, 2006

The Cougars had ambitions of getting into the SWC very early in our sports history – certainly long before we were ready to compete in that famous league.

As soon as we started indicating that interest, we immediately encountered fierce opposition from Rice University, led by their famous coach, Jess Neely. They wanted no competition here in Houston. And the other SWC schools, who opposed us quite as fiercely as Rice, hid their opposition by saying they could not support another school for membership unless another member in the same city had no objections. A cowardly approach, if ever there was one.

In the early days, Rice was quite good, even winning the SWC championship in 1949. Right after that, Rice Stadium was built – holding 72,000 people! It was built largely from public donations, and Brown & Root built it in less than a year – at cost. It was to be a stadium for both Rice and the University of Houston – it was even named “Houston Stadium” to indicate it was a stadium for the entire city; however, it was built on the Rice campus. The name “Houston Stadium” did not last long; Rice soon changed it to “Rice Stadium.” And Rice had complete control of the new facility.

We were allowed to play in Rice Stadium for a number of years, but Rice placed all kinds of restrictions on our use. For example, we could not play any opponent in any year that Rice was playing that same opponent here in Houston; we could not play anyone in Rice Stadium on the same week-end that Rice was playing a game there – even if we played on a different day, or if we played at a different time on the same day; there were other restrictions. These restrictions made it very difficult for us to complete our football schedule – every year. We could not schedule until we knew Rice’s schedule.

Those infamous restrictions even extended to forcing us one year to change the venue for our biggest game of the year. We had scheduled a game with A&M at Rice Stadium on a day and week-end when Rice was scheduled to play away – all in accordance with the restrictions. And then, Rice changed their schedule to play a game in Houston that day; and they forced us to play elsewhere. We had to move the game to the old Jeppesen Stadium (now Robertson Stadium), which seated only 22,000 at the time. Suddenly we were trying to squeeze our largest crowd of the year into a stadium that would seat about one-third of the expected crowd! Not only that, on game day, the ushers, who were normally supplied by Rice at Rice Stadium, showed up at Jeppesen Stadium wearing their Rice University uniforms which they usually wore at Rice Stadium – interpreted by many of our fans as a needless affront!

Well, we drifted along, playing in Rice Stadium at Rice’s convenience, and playing the strongest teams we could schedule - even a SWC opponent occasionally. And we applied for membership in the SWC every year. We were turned away every year.

And finally the conference tired of our incessant applications. So they passed a new rule that forbad applications altogether; from then on prospective members had to be “sponsored” by an existing member, and “seconded” by another. Neither seemed likely in our case.

So for several years, we pursued sponsorship and seconding from any SWC member who would listen to our pleas. In effect, we were reduced to begging, hat in hand. The SWC schools rather enjoyed that, I have no doubt.

And then there is the matter of the infamous betrayal by Rice. One year we had acquired a sponsor and a second. Somehow Rice became aware of this, and their representatives came to Harry Fouke, our legendary athletic director, to discuss the matter. They asked Harry to get our sponsor to back off and let Rice be our sponsor. They said they had changed their minds and now wished to support our bid. They further said they thought we would have a better chance of approval if we were sponsored by Rice since we were both in the same city. We agreed and asked our sponsor to desist, after securing the promise of a second from another SWC member (that may have been Baylor, but I am not sure of that); then came the annual meeting of the SWC. Harry Fouke confidently went to the meeting site in Dallas and waited in the hall while the members went in for their session. Harry waited – and waited – and waited, thinking the door would open and he would be invited in for further discussion. The door never opened until the meeting ended. Rice had not sponsored us for membership, and the meeting was over; no chance for an invitation now until the next year!

So, again we went on our merry way, disappointed yet again. Nevertheless, we kept fielding stronger teams, and we began to beat some pretty big-name schools. And the public began to ask – ever more loudly – just why the SWC continued to deny admission into their storied league of an obviously deserving Texas school.

And finally Texas, whose influence always dominated the SWC, became sufficiently concerned with our improvement that they decided the only way to slow us down was to admit us to the conference, where they could monitor our recruiting more closely. They sure did not intend to be doing us any favors, you can be sure of that.

And so, with Texas backing, suddenly the doors of the SWC swung open to us. They invited us in – with certain restrictions, of course, just to demonstrate our inferior status. We could not compete for the championship for five years, during which time they would bring our recruiting under control, don’t you know? By this time we were playing in the Astrodome, but that was not good enough for Texas and A&M; so they reserved the right for five years (if I remember the time right) to dictate where they would play us in Houston; they preferred Rice Stadium (we had moved to the Astrodome to get away from all those restrictions imposed on us by Rice) because it was larger, they said. Actually, they cared more about dominating us than the size of the stadium!

After waiting 5 years to compete for the championship, we promptly won it all in that sixth year of membership, and went on to beat Maryland in the Cotton Bowl. Cougars began sporting bumper stickers which read “Houston Cougars, First-Year Owners of the SWC.”

Now, that was a very interesting year. Not only did we win the championship, we beat Texas in Austin by 30-0 in front of the largest home crowd ever seen in Austin to that time, ending a 43-game home winning streak by the horns, which led to the retirement of their legendary coach, Daryl Royal. I think Texas gained a total of 24 yards rushing!

But we had to share that first championship with Texas Tech. Now, Tech had waited some 30 years to gain membership in the conference, as had we. But they had been a member for several years before we were admitted. And now, finally, after waiting all those years, Tech had won the SWC championship, but they had to share it with the upstart Cougars. Not only that, they had lost to us that year – and we were going to the Cotton Bowl instead of Tech. Well, that sure did not help to endear us to a lot of folks out in West Texas, did it?

So, Texas then filed some complaints about our recruiting with the NCAA – the other half of their plans to control our recruiting, don’t you know? And we were investigated and put on probation for a year. One of the penalties was that we were ineligible for the championship or any bowl game for a year. How convenient!

After serving our year in the dock, we won the championship again, and were bound for the Cotton Bowl again, this time to play Notre Dame. We changed our bumper stickers to read “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.”

We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to Notre Dame. Well, we really won the game, but the refs gave the game to the Irish by refusing to make the call properly when the winning touchdown was clearly caught out of bounds on the very last play of the game; no way were they going to call that play against Notre Dame – on national television. If there were any regrets among our friends in the conference, it was never obvious!

The next year we won the championship again, and beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl on a pass with only about 12 seconds left on the clock. Just the reverse of the previous year’s game – only this time the pass was legitimate! And now our bumper stickers read “Now It’s Three out of Four.”

They never forgave us for those four years of domination. Their dismay was assuaged somewhat during the next four years while others won the championships. But in 1984 we won it again – in such a manner as to leave the other members of the conference virtually speechless!

On the last day of the season, there were about four teams which could possibly end up as champion; everything depended on the outcome of the games on that last day. Our game was played early, and we won. And then, as the day wore on, game after game fell our way. Every team that had to lose in order for us to be the champion lost, one after the other. At the end of the day, the Cougars were the last ones standing – and we were champions of the SWC once again! We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to a better team, Boston College, quarterbacked by the legendary Doug Flutie, and helped once again by some very questionable calls by the referees, to the delight of our SWC brethren! And then Texas and A&M pulled their infamous double cross. While telling all the other members of the SWC that they were negotiating with the Big 8 for a merger of that league with the SWC, they were actually trying to negotiate their transfer into the Big 8, leaving all the rest behind. They were forced to include Texas Tech in the deal by Bob Bullock, then the Lt. Governor of Texas; and they were forced to include Baylor by Ann Richards, then the Governor of the state.

So, four members of the SWC were “invited” by the Big 8 to join their league to form the new Big 12, leaving the remaining members of the legendary old SWC out in the cold. And as the proud conference died, it came to pass that the last conference game was played in Rice Stadium between Rice University and the University of Houston – a night game. The Cougars won the game – the very last football game ever played in the SWC (I might add that we also won the very last basketball game ever played in the SWC too - against Texas), and we literally turned out the lights on one of the most legendary conferences in American history. Sad indeed – to see a great conference destroyed by internal hatreds that endure to this day!

76Texan
12-30-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't know if anyone read somewhere here that my dad died December of last year. Well, a year later my mom has come to the point of healing that she wants us, us meaning his kids, to get of his whatever me might want and for whatever reason we might have.

I hope this doesn't sound cold, his death of course was very hard to cope with for a while and it was the first of our immediate family, I still think of him every day. Thing is, I scored!...lol.

Also as some here might know, my dad is a Coog, grad of '64 and as a benefit I saw the glory day of UH sports first hand. That's how I came to love the Coogs myself. Thanks so much, dad.

Turns out my old man was holding out on me. He had some historic shirts (if you will) that are in perfect, just off the rack condition!! Mom says he kept them that way for me and I am touched.

I had the SWC shirts myself but on my back they lasted only a short time...lol. Also recieved quite a few other UH things, So Long Guy V Lewis towel, among other towels, other shirts...etc. THANKS DAD!!!!

Did he keep those bumper stickers?

LonerATO
12-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Boise State is now staying in the MWC and there are rumors that the Big-12 is looking to expand into the ACC, Cougar fans cannot be happy.

Mr teX
12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
From CougarsFans.com

The University of Houston and the SWC

By EatEmUp
April 9, 2006

The Cougars had ambitions of getting into the SWC very early in our sports history – certainly long before we were ready to compete in that famous league.

As soon as we started indicating that interest, we immediately encountered fierce opposition from Rice University, led by their famous coach, Jess Neely. They wanted no competition here in Houston. And the other SWC schools, who opposed us quite as fiercely as Rice, hid their opposition by saying they could not support another school for membership unless another member in the same city had no objections. A cowardly approach, if ever there was one.

In the early days, Rice was quite good, even winning the SWC championship in 1949. Right after that, Rice Stadium was built – holding 72,000 people! It was built largely from public donations, and Brown & Root built it in less than a year – at cost. It was to be a stadium for both Rice and the University of Houston – it was even named “Houston Stadium” to indicate it was a stadium for the entire city; however, it was built on the Rice campus. The name “Houston Stadium” did not last long; Rice soon changed it to “Rice Stadium.” And Rice had complete control of the new facility.

We were allowed to play in Rice Stadium for a number of years, but Rice placed all kinds of restrictions on our use. For example, we could not play any opponent in any year that Rice was playing that same opponent here in Houston; we could not play anyone in Rice Stadium on the same week-end that Rice was playing a game there – even if we played on a different day, or if we played at a different time on the same day; there were other restrictions. These restrictions made it very difficult for us to complete our football schedule – every year. We could not schedule until we knew Rice’s schedule.

Those infamous restrictions even extended to forcing us one year to change the venue for our biggest game of the year. We had scheduled a game with A&M at Rice Stadium on a day and week-end when Rice was scheduled to play away – all in accordance with the restrictions. And then, Rice changed their schedule to play a game in Houston that day; and they forced us to play elsewhere. We had to move the game to the old Jeppesen Stadium (now Robertson Stadium), which seated only 22,000 at the time. Suddenly we were trying to squeeze our largest crowd of the year into a stadium that would seat about one-third of the expected crowd! Not only that, on game day, the ushers, who were normally supplied by Rice at Rice Stadium, showed up at Jeppesen Stadium wearing their Rice University uniforms which they usually wore at Rice Stadium – interpreted by many of our fans as a needless affront!

Well, we drifted along, playing in Rice Stadium at Rice’s convenience, and playing the strongest teams we could schedule - even a SWC opponent occasionally. And we applied for membership in the SWC every year. We were turned away every year.

And finally the conference tired of our incessant applications. So they passed a new rule that forbad applications altogether; from then on prospective members had to be “sponsored” by an existing member, and “seconded” by another. Neither seemed likely in our case.

So for several years, we pursued sponsorship and seconding from any SWC member who would listen to our pleas. In effect, we were reduced to begging, hat in hand. The SWC schools rather enjoyed that, I have no doubt.

And then there is the matter of the infamous betrayal by Rice. One year we had acquired a sponsor and a second. Somehow Rice became aware of this, and their representatives came to Harry Fouke, our legendary athletic director, to discuss the matter. They asked Harry to get our sponsor to back off and let Rice be our sponsor. They said they had changed their minds and now wished to support our bid. They further said they thought we would have a better chance of approval if we were sponsored by Rice since we were both in the same city. We agreed and asked our sponsor to desist, after securing the promise of a second from another SWC member (that may have been Baylor, but I am not sure of that); then came the annual meeting of the SWC. Harry Fouke confidently went to the meeting site in Dallas and waited in the hall while the members went in for their session. Harry waited – and waited – and waited, thinking the door would open and he would be invited in for further discussion. The door never opened until the meeting ended. Rice had not sponsored us for membership, and the meeting was over; no chance for an invitation now until the next year!

So, again we went on our merry way, disappointed yet again. Nevertheless, we kept fielding stronger teams, and we began to beat some pretty big-name schools. And the public began to ask – ever more loudly – just why the SWC continued to deny admission into their storied league of an obviously deserving Texas school.

And finally Texas, whose influence always dominated the SWC, became sufficiently concerned with our improvement that they decided the only way to slow us down was to admit us to the conference, where they could monitor our recruiting more closely. They sure did not intend to be doing us any favors, you can be sure of that.

And so, with Texas backing, suddenly the doors of the SWC swung open to us. They invited us in – with certain restrictions, of course, just to demonstrate our inferior status. We could not compete for the championship for five years, during which time they would bring our recruiting under control, don’t you know? By this time we were playing in the Astrodome, but that was not good enough for Texas and A&M; so they reserved the right for five years (if I remember the time right) to dictate where they would play us in Houston; they preferred Rice Stadium (we had moved to the Astrodome to get away from all those restrictions imposed on us by Rice) because it was larger, they said. Actually, they cared more about dominating us than the size of the stadium!

After waiting 5 years to compete for the championship, we promptly won it all in that sixth year of membership, and went on to beat Maryland in the Cotton Bowl. Cougars began sporting bumper stickers which read “Houston Cougars, First-Year Owners of the SWC.”

Now, that was a very interesting year. Not only did we win the championship, we beat Texas in Austin by 30-0 in front of the largest home crowd ever seen in Austin to that time, ending a 43-game home winning streak by the horns, which led to the retirement of their legendary coach, Daryl Royal. I think Texas gained a total of 24 yards rushing!

But we had to share that first championship with Texas Tech. Now, Tech had waited some 30 years to gain membership in the conference, as had we. But they had been a member for several years before we were admitted. And now, finally, after waiting all those years, Tech had won the SWC championship, but they had to share it with the upstart Cougars. Not only that, they had lost to us that year – and we were going to the Cotton Bowl instead of Tech. Well, that sure did not help to endear us to a lot of folks out in West Texas, did it?

So, Texas then filed some complaints about our recruiting with the NCAA – the other half of their plans to control our recruiting, don’t you know? And we were investigated and put on probation for a year. One of the penalties was that we were ineligible for the championship or any bowl game for a year. How convenient!

After serving our year in the dock, we won the championship again, and were bound for the Cotton Bowl again, this time to play Notre Dame. We changed our bumper stickers to read “Two Out of Three Ain’t Bad.”

We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to Notre Dame. Well, we really won the game, but the refs gave the game to the Irish by refusing to make the call properly when the winning touchdown was clearly caught out of bounds on the very last play of the game; no way were they going to call that play against Notre Dame – on national television. If there were any regrets among our friends in the conference, it was never obvious!

The next year we won the championship again, and beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl on a pass with only about 12 seconds left on the clock. Just the reverse of the previous year’s game – only this time the pass was legitimate! And now our bumper stickers read “Now It’s Three out of Four.”

They never forgave us for those four years of domination. Their dismay was assuaged somewhat during the next four years while others won the championships. But in 1984 we won it again – in such a manner as to leave the other members of the conference virtually speechless!

On the last day of the season, there were about four teams which could possibly end up as champion; everything depended on the outcome of the games on that last day. Our game was played early, and we won. And then, as the day wore on, game after game fell our way. Every team that had to lose in order for us to be the champion lost, one after the other. At the end of the day, the Cougars were the last ones standing – and we were champions of the SWC once again! We lost the Cotton Bowl that year to a better team, Boston College, quarterbacked by the legendary Doug Flutie, and helped once again by some very questionable calls by the referees, to the delight of our SWC brethren! And then Texas and A&M pulled their infamous double cross. While telling all the other members of the SWC that they were negotiating with the Big 8 for a merger of that league with the SWC, they were actually trying to negotiate their transfer into the Big 8, leaving all the rest behind. They were forced to include Texas Tech in the deal by Bob Bullock, then the Lt. Governor of Texas; and they were forced to include Baylor by Ann Richards, then the Governor of the state.

So, four members of the SWC were “invited” by the Big 8 to join their league to form the new Big 12, leaving the remaining members of the legendary old SWC out in the cold. And as the proud conference died, it came to pass that the last conference game was played in Rice Stadium between Rice University and the University of Houston – a night game. The Cougars won the game – the very last football game ever played in the SWC (I might add that we also won the very last basketball game ever played in the SWC too - against Texas), and we literally turned out the lights on one of the most legendary conferences in American history. Sad indeed – to see a great conference destroyed by internal hatreds that endure to this day!

I've long suspected & pretty much assumed that UT & A&M to a lesser extent have continously conspired to keep UH down as far as athletics go b/c we're the baby of all major universities here in Texas; The excuses about why we've been kept out of the big 12 just don't quite add up; didn't really think Rice was in on the party though.

They know that we're a hotbed for talent here & they couldn't afford to lose this recruiting base here. And even though i had no clue of UH athletics back then, the 80's proved just how dominant we could be if we were in a conference worth a damn.

texanhead08
01-14-2013, 10:08 PM
I just heard that David Gibbs is the new DC at UH. I just threw up in my mouth.

76Texan
01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
I just heard that David Gibbs is the new DC at UH. I just threw up in my mouth.

What's the reason?

I don't know anything about him, but his resume doesn't look too bad.

texanhead08
01-15-2013, 11:13 PM
He was the Texans secondary coach in 2009-2010

Vinny
01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
I found this and slapped it up on twitter yesterday...nice.

https://twitter.com/i/#!/TexansTalk/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2Fbl8HbPhA

Mr teX
01-22-2013, 10:32 AM

https://twitter.com/i/#!/TexansTalk/media/slideshow?url=pic.twitter.com%2Fbl8HbPhA

yeah, those are nice...just makes me mad as UH alum how awesome this school's football program could be but it's not largely b/c of powers beyond their control.

LonerATO
01-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Those are only samples, and as of right now will not be used next year. There was also a chrome and white one.

gwallaia
01-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Here are the photos of the possible new helmets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/gwallaia/helmet1BBAzFF_CMAAzM_Njpg_large-600x600.jpg

gwallaia
05-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Very small bubbles of rumors are beginning to percolate on Cullen Blvd.

Hervoyel
05-15-2013, 09:45 AM
http://farm2.staticflickr.com/1060/5124699989_a414738d44_z.jpg

I'm intrigued. What do these bubbles of rumors pertain to?

Blake
05-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Very small bubbles of rumors are beginning to percolate on Cullen Blvd.

???

gwallaia
05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
They are very small bubbles at this time. I hate to say too much, but it is definitely very very interesting.

Hervoyel
05-15-2013, 09:53 AM
They are very small bubbles at this time. I hate to say too much, but it is definitely very very interesting.

Can we name a sport? Would it perchance relate to "football"?

gwallaia
05-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Yes, football would be in the mix.

Mr teX
05-15-2013, 10:30 AM
C'mon man you can't come in here dropping cryptic hints...go on ahead and.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2PzuJDvEsOM/TIbRoKPcV7I/AAAAAAAAAQg/sHus58kMqW0/s1600/spilled+the+beans.jpg

eriadoc
05-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Yes, football would be in the mix.

Is it going to improve the product on the field or just the field?

Blake
05-15-2013, 11:13 AM
Just put the rumors tag on it and as mr tex said, spill the beans!

76Texan
05-15-2013, 11:24 AM
There are rumors that the Coogs may be in "talk" with the Big 12

gwallaia
05-15-2013, 11:28 AM
76 had to let the cat out of the bag.

There is indeed chatter about the Big12 actually going to 12 teams. UH is among 3 or 4 being considered and at this time, they appear to have the advantage. But its only talk right now.

eriadoc
05-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Well, it's better than no talk, I guess.

Blake
05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Louisville and Houston. Just get it done!

gwallaia
05-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Its already sounding bad again. :boogereater:
Stay tuned.

b0ng
05-16-2013, 02:08 PM
There are rumors that the Coogs may be in "talk" with the Big 12

I'll believe it when I see them playing in the Big12 and probably not sooner. Unfortunately.

ChampionTexan
05-16-2013, 02:26 PM
I'll believe it when I see them playing in the Big12 and probably not sooner. Unfortunately.

It does not appear you'll be believing it any time soon.

Mark Berman tweet from yesterday:

Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 20h

As we previously reported today,University of Houston spokesperson says no truth 2 report by @SportsTalkFLA that UH in talks with the Big 12

LINK (https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/334801938870833152)

b0ng
05-17-2013, 08:32 AM
It does not appear you'll be believing it any time soon.

Mark Berman tweet from yesterday:

LINK (https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/334801938870833152)

Well if the original tweet did come from a radio station in Florida I can see where it's very very believable. . .