PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Pages : [1] 2

badboy
08-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Cuts are pretty much over & final starters set. Sure RT is a question mark especially with Butler out but he did not play last season and if Newton can play as much as his predecessor, the swing may not matter.

Schaub & AJ seemingly have resolved questions about current health even if not known how healthy each will remain.

Trindon could end up with a Holliday named after him.

Our WRs look better than last season and Dreesen's loss may be erased by Graham.

Defense, well that is a concern for me with Brooks and Bradie James not doing as well I hoped. NT remains a question as does our back up DBs.

Regardless, I'm calling a SB for our guys.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 11:51 PM
We have the talent and we have the coaches.

We just need the luck to go with them.

TdotTexas2Step
08-31-2012, 11:59 PM
We'll have a much better indication of things after 2-4 games.

The big question for me on offense isn't the depth at WR, but how the line holds up in both the running and passing game.

And as for defense, I'm not too worried, as Wade has been keeping the good stuff under wraps, and when he unloads it on the opposing team, it'll be tough to beat. If we had to point to a concern, it'd probably be the run D, as was the main issue last year, and I don't feel like we've added anyone to address that.

Playoffs
09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
That's why they play the games.

Lurvinator11
09-01-2012, 12:06 AM
I say yes. I think we have a good 2-3 wide open window for Super bowl appearances. Hopefully this is the year we make it, and the first of many.

Maddict5
09-01-2012, 12:32 AM
if we stay reasonably healthy and avoid killer injuries-which imo are qb, lt & rt, all 3 d-line, cush, j-joe, we'll be there at the end of january

Thorn
09-01-2012, 12:53 AM
lesser teams have won the super bowl, better teams have lost the super bowl.

I would say the Texans are in the top half of the top half of the best teams in the league, but that doesn't mean anything until you actually get to the super bowl.

Norg
09-01-2012, 01:08 AM
we are pretty much in the same boat as the

Ravens
Denver
Cheifs

everything looks good on paper we got the players the coaches good running game and good D and the prototipacal QB

and there is left 2 do is Excute ... and thats the hardest thing

look at the ravens they have been trying to excute for 5 years

Lurvinator11
09-01-2012, 01:16 AM

Ravens
Denver
Cheifs

everything looks good on paper we got the players the coaches good running game and good D and the prototipacal QB

:vincepalm:

Norg
09-01-2012, 01:22 AM

Wut ???? u know its true

steelbtexan
09-01-2012, 01:22 AM
Any team with Keo and Gardner on it really has to stay healthy.

TheEastwood
09-01-2012, 01:26 AM

Ravens
Denver
Cheifs

The Chiefs? Cassel is ****in horrible. They got good defence, good running game, but Cassel is nowhere near Schaub. Not even close

Norg
09-01-2012, 01:45 AM
The Chiefs? Cassel is ****in horrible. They got good defence, good running game, but Cassel is nowhere near Schaub. Not even close

hmm maybe i just ment the type of QB the texans and cheifs have

Both the typical 6 foot QB pocket passer

but anyway IMO the gap between Cassel and Schaub is not like supppperrr big IMO but we shall see this year this is a big year for both QB's

Marcus
09-01-2012, 02:30 AM
You have be both lucky and good to get to the Super Bowl.

The luck part has to do with injuries. And we have never been lucky.

So no, we ain't going.

TheMatrix31
09-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Let's see what happens. As always, it depends on health and getting hot at the right time. Home field would be really nice if we can do it.

Limit the turnovers and penalties, make sure we get consistently good field position, attack attack attack, and good things should happen.

Norg
09-01-2012, 03:55 AM
u know no one has mentiond this to the people outside of texas they will look has this season has can the texans be consistent ???? can they have back to back winning seasons

can they be like the Pats the pittsburgs and Ravens

if we win big this year it will be our first back to back winning seasons

KA4Texan
09-01-2012, 04:02 AM
As I said before, 2012 IS our year.

Mayan calender "says the end will happen in Dec."

Houston football luck, we FINALLY have a good team that is superbowl bound only to have the world end just before the superbowl happens.

Corrosion
09-01-2012, 07:11 AM
if we stay reasonably healthy and avoid killer injuries-which imo are qb, lt & rt, all 3 d-line, cush, j-joe, we'll be there at the end of january

One injury to that OL , especially at either tackle spot and things could get ugly.

I dont want to see Gardner anywhere near the field .... :gun:

Thorn
09-01-2012, 08:54 AM
One injury to that OL , especially at either tackle spot and things could get ugly.

That's a very worrysome aspect of this years team.

steelbtexan
09-01-2012, 08:59 AM

^^^^
This

However Brooks might be able to step in at RT by the middle of the yr.

If Brown goes down they're screwed. As most teams would be.

GuerillaBlack
09-01-2012, 09:16 AM

Ravens
Denver
Cheifs

This Norg post is sponsored by Webster's and facepalms.

aussie_texan
09-01-2012, 09:38 AM
your damn right we have a superbowl team!!!!

there is no one we fear and in my opinion there is no one better.
There are a few teams equal to us but it will be settled till later in the season where we rank. For now put at us as equal number 1 with about 4 other teams.

Wolf6151
09-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Do we have the quality and skill necessary to win the Super Bowl? YES. Do we have the heart, guts, killer instinct, and luck? I'll let you know in late January.

thunderkyss
09-01-2012, 12:57 PM
I remember being in this situation twice before, being this optimistic about our teams future.

We just finished the 2004 season 7-9.... Year 4, we thought our young team had matured & were ready to Take the next step. Then the other shoe dropped & we went 2-14.

After the 2009 season our young leaders looked poised to carry us to a higher level of play after finishing the season recording our first winning season @ 9-7 we looked destined for the play-offs. Then the other shoe dropped & we finished 6-10.

As a fan of Houston football, you know the other foot is about to drop.

Lucky
09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
I remember being in this situation twice before, being this optimistic about our teams future.

You do realize this has no affect on future performance, right?

Look, the AFC is weaker than it has been in years. Pittsburgh is aging. Baltimore is re-tooling their defense. The Patriots have concerns on both sides of the ball. There is no other franchise in the AFC better prepared to compete with these teams than the Texans.

No the Texans are not a perfect team. That doesn't exist in the salary cap era that exists now. But for all of their questions, they have more answers. No other AFC team can throw out the collection of talent the Texans have (AJ, Foster, Brown, Watt, Barwin, Cushing, Joseph). Given the correct chemistry and guidance, that talent should shine through.

b0ng

We just finished the 2004 season 7-9.... Year 4, we thought our young team had matured & were ready to Take the next step. Then the other shoe dropped & we went 2-14.

After the 2009 season our young leaders looked poised to carry us to a higher level of play after finishing the season recording our first winning season @ 9-7 we looked destined for the play-offs. Then the other shoe dropped & we finished 6-10.

Neither the 2004 team nor the 2009 team had nearly as good of a defense (or offense for that matter) as the 2011 team. I remember more vividly people wondering out loud if Jackson/Quin as CB1 and CB2 would not bite us in the hiney since we just let D-Rob go that offseason.

Thorn

Well, which is it? Is the shoe gonna drop or is the foot? Shoes I don't care about, you can get 'em cheap on Amazon. Feet though can be a problem.

Nawzer
09-01-2012, 01:33 PM
I think we are capable, but will need some luck to go our way to get there. If our o-line holds up and we're injury free, we should be in the AFC Championship game I think. With that said, I don't think we're a Super Bowl team this year. We have big question marks with our receiving corps, o-line, and the health of several of our big name players like AJ, Shaun Cody, and Brian Cushing's injury.

badboy
09-01-2012, 11:36 PM

Look, the AFC is weaker than it has been in years. Pittsburgh is aging. Baltimore is re-tooling their defense. The Patriots have concerns on both sides of the ball. There is no other franchise in the AFC better prepared to compete with these teams than the Texans.

No the Texans are not a perfect team. That doesn't exist in the salary cap era that exists now. But for all of their questions, they have more answers. No other AFC team can throw out the collection of talent the Texans have (AJ, Foster, Brown, Watt, Barwin, Cushing, Joseph). Given the correct chemistry and guidance, that talent should shine through.This. Injury is only thing I fear as we can play with any team. We have good depth in most positions. I think Kubes needs to really shine with play calling and Wade needs to bring his crew in with much more of his 3-4 playbook.

Cjeremy635
09-01-2012, 11:47 PM
My gut says "No". I just think there are too many question marks about the O-line and receivers. Add in injuries & the outlook is even worse.

EllisUnit
09-02-2012, 12:14 AM
My gut says "No". I just think there are too many question marks about the O-line and receivers. Add in injuries & the outlook is even worse.

i'm actually not worried about the WRs now. I think this is the best group of WRs we have ever had. If AJ goes down i feel a lot more confident than i did a season ago thats for sure.

Grams
09-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Do we have the quality and skill necessary to win the Super Bowl? YES. Do we have the heart, guts, killer instinct, and luck? I'll let you know in late January.

This.

I am just going to wait and enjoy each game as it comes along. If it leads us to a Super Bowl - Fantastic!! If not - BOOO.

The season is too short and the off-season is way to long to be worrying about the last game of the season before the first game has even been played.

:texan::fans::gotexans1

FirstTexansFan
09-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Wut ???? u know its true

Vinny
09-02-2012, 11:20 AM

No the Texans are not a perfect team. That doesn't exist in the salary cap era that exists now. But for all of their questions, they have more answers. No other AFC team can throw out the collection of talent the Texans have (AJ, Foster, Brown, Watt, Barwin, Cushing, Joseph). Given the correct chemistry and guidance, that talent should shine through.There is a window right now...hopefully we can step in it. Carpe diem!

gary
09-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Texans vs Giants I say.

SheTexan
09-02-2012, 01:52 PM
If defenses truly WIN SBs, then YEP, we have a chance. WAIT!! We still have KJ as a starter! Hummmmmm, not so sure now!:aggressive: Ask again mid season!

Corrosion
09-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Read the sig.

Not that part , the other part.

:trophy:

thunderkyss
09-02-2012, 08:13 PM
If defenses truly WIN SBs, then YEP, we have a chance. WAIT!! !

Wait... our defense has been at the top of the league once.... just once. But all of a sudden we're the Ravens.

I don't think so. I think we're more like the Packers. They had the #2 defense in the league in 2010, not so good in 2011.

DocBar
09-02-2012, 08:29 PM
The Texans have an excellent chance at winning a SB title. We have the talent, now we need the luck. I'd be happier going 9-7 in the regular season and winning the SB than being 15-1 and not ever getting there.

badboy
09-10-2012, 09:43 PM
After one game, I think verdict is still out. We need to see a complete dominance of the "next team up."

thunderkyss
09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
After one game, I think verdict is still out. We need to see a complete dominance of the "next team up."

I thought we looked as good as any other team out there, better than most... until I saw the Ravens.

To me, it looked like the Bengals just ran out of gas. They were right there with them until the last few minutes of the third qtr. The Ravens were pretty impressive, even though they gave up 129 yards on the ground & 322 yards total. Ray Rice only gained 68 yards on the ground. But he only carried the ball 10 times.

But I think we said the same thing early last season, then the Ravens ran out of gas. Let's see what happens this year.

Cincinnati also looked very good at times. I think they are in the same position as we are (other than being favored in our division). They had high expectations coming into the season, but it was gut check time yesterday & I'm sure they didn't like what they saw. Overall they played well, but there are more areas that need addressing than they thought.... just my take.

Thorn
09-11-2012, 08:17 AM
as the season moves along, teams change. We've all seen this to many times now. Let's revisit this in NFL Week 10, then the smoke will be more cleared.

mootini
09-11-2012, 09:13 AM
Isn't this too early to discuss SB? Worry about the season/divison 1st! The AFC South is getting more competative, so the Texans window is open this season, but next season?

thunderkyss
09-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Isn't this too early to discuss SB? Worry about the season/divison 1st! The AFC South is getting more competative, so the Texans window is open this season, but next season?

Really?? I feel a Denny Green moment coming on.

:toropalm:

EllisUnit
09-11-2012, 11:19 AM

See on "Texanstalk" We can gladly talk about the superbowl, and isnt it a little to early to be talking competition in the AFC South next season :kingkong:

DX-TEX
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
I thought we looked as good as any other team out there, better than most... until I saw the Ravens.

To me, it looked like the Bengals just ran out of gas. They were right there with them until the last few minutes of the third qtr. The Ravens were pretty impressive, even though they gave up 129 yards on the ground & 322 yards total. Ray Rice only gained 68 yards on the ground. But he only carried the ball 10 times.

But I think we said the same thing early last season, then the Ravens ran out of gas. Let's see what happens this year.

Cincinnati also looked very good at times. I think they are in the same position as we are (other than being favored in our division). They had high expectations coming into the season, but it was gut check time yesterday & I'm sure they didn't like what they saw. Overall they played well, but there are more areas that need addressing than they thought.... just my take.

2 quick things on the Ravens....

1) Its Flacco. He looks great one week then just craps the bed the next. Never forget Jacoby Jones either....

2) Suggs is still out and no matter how much everyone sucks at the teet of Ray Lewis/Ed Reed they wont play the entire season. One week in and Reed already has a messed up hammy.

Marcus
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Texans going to the Super Bowl? LOL!

Yeah. Riiight!

Maybe someday after I'm in the the broadcast booth, but now? Keep dreamin.

- Peyton Manning -

Perki-Perk
09-11-2012, 11:53 AM

It's the Bengals..the same team that the Texans, with a 3rd string QB and a 3 game slide came in and beat pretty handily...I wouldn't expect much different if we were to play them with a healthy Shaub and AJ....Except Kubiak pumps the breaks once we go up by 20.

thunderkyss
09-11-2012, 12:13 PM
It's the Bengals..the same team that the Texans, with a 3rd string QB and a 3 game slide came in and beat pretty handily...I wouldn't expect much different if we were to play them with a healthy Shaub and AJ....Except Kubiak pumps the breaks once we go up by 20.

I wish they were the Dolphins & we can expect to beat them every year, but I don't think that's the case. The Bengals aren't a gimme.

I think we've got a nice string of wins against them, but I don't think we've got their number by any means.

badboy
09-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Isn't this too early to discuss SB? Worry about the season/divison 1st! The AFC South is getting more competative, so the Texans window is open this season, but next season?Depends on one's perception I guess. I wanted winning season & got that. Then wanted a championship & got that; with this roster & our division a chmpionship is not enough for me. As players have said, the goal is Super Bowl so it is my goal also. It is not too early to evaluate your team. You simply adjust your eval weekly. I do that with my mocks. You may be one of those fans who just watch a game for the fun, beer, food and companionship. That is cool but not me.

I watch for flaws and strengths and decisions by coaches and players. I enjoy working the cap and salaries & watching college games to create mocks and trades. At this point I am not worried at all.

76Texan
09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Depends on one's perception I guess. I wanted winning season & got that. Then wanted a championship & got that; with this roster & our division a chmpionship is not enough for me. As players have said, the goal is Super Bowl so it is my goal also. It is not too early to evaluate your team. You simply adjust your eval weekly. I do that with my mocks. You may be one of those fans who just watch a game for the fun, beer, food and companionship. That is cool but not me.

I watch for flaws and strengths and decisions by coaches and players. I enjoy working the cap and salaries & watching college games to create mocks and trades. At this point I am not worried at all.

If we talk about SB as most definite then I don't see it because the season is long. Injuries can deflate a team.

If we talk about whether the Texans have the personnel and the continuity of proven offensive and defensive systems to be a strong contender for the SB, then yes.

We are really solid across the board. I've read a lot of evaluations from different sources.

The key is to stay healthy and to improve some more in certain areas that need improving.

ATXtexanfan
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Sorry but we lack the elite qb to get a superbowl. In the playoffs schaub will have have to make pinpoint throws under pressure. Hadn't seen it so far and no reason to think he can elevate his game. He is our weak link and we just extended him. We will make playoffs but I will not bet my house on schaub vs Peyton, Brady, or ravens. Would you? Would you bet him to beat any of those in consecutive weeks. Then win a superbowl? I'll stick with my house. Say what you want but he will be at Denver, at Detroit, at the jets, at new England then home vs Rodgers and ravens.

TheMatrix31
09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
If the Texans had Matt Schaub in January instead of TJ Yates, we would have been in the AFC Championship game.

Texecutioner
09-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Way to early to say if we're SB bound.

You have to assess the team by the time the playoffs start. We can be the best team all season long, but if we limp into the playoffs with some bad injuries and a lack of momentum, then it can all end fairly easily.

The patriots looked unstoppable two seasons ago where some people felt that Brady was having an even better season then he had when he threw for 50 TD's. They got beaten by the Jets team that they destroyed a few games earlier in the season.

The Titans had that great season where they had the best record in the NFL as well a few yrs ago and fell flat in the post season.

The Giants had poor seasons both times they won the SB, but once the playoffs came they were as ready as a team could be and they beat everyone when they weren't favored in almost all of those match ups.

You have to be hitting on all cylinders when heading into the post season. UNfortunately last season we were not due to injuries. Hopefully this time around we'll be healthier and have a lot of momentum. We'll also be facing tougher teams this time around.

Texans
Broncos
Ravens/Steelers/Bengals (WHo Knows)
Patriots
Insert Wildcard here.

BullBlitz
09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
If the Texans had Matt Schaub in January instead of TJ Yates, we would have been in the AFC Championship game.

I hear people say that, but we will never know.

As for this season, I don't think that this team is near as close to Super Bowl quality as people think. The good thing is that they will have their chance to prove themselves on the field.

As for the next couple of weeks, I think that there is a good chance that we will be 1-2 after the Broncos game.

Perki-Perk
09-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Just not sure I've ever seen a conservative coach hoist the Lombardi...but I could be wrong. All things considered, We absolutely have a shot if Kubiak will step on throats when throats need to be stepped on come playoff time. Never give a playoff team a chance...ever.

76Texan
09-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Just not sure I've ever seen a conservative coach hoist the Lombardi...but I could be wrong. All things considered, We absolutely have a shot if Kubiak will step on throats when throats need to be stepped on come playoff time. Never give a playoff team a chance...ever.

Plenty of them:

Tomlin and Cowher (Steelers)

Brian Billick (Ravens)

Shanahan twice (Broncos with Kubiak as OC)

Joe Gibbs 3 times (Washington in 1991 for example, had the most rushing attempts in the league that year and the Hogs defense)

Seifert several times(Niners with Shanahan as OC and Kubiak as QB coach in a WCO in 1994)

Bill Parcels twice (Giants)

Jimmy Johnson twice (Cowboys - he may be flamboyant, but he relied on a good rushing game - in those two years, the Cowboys actually had 5 games in which they had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Mike Dikta (Bears had most rushing attempts in 1985)

Bill Walsh several (Niners - one of the grand-fathers of the WCO)

Tom Flores twice (Raiders 1983 with 542 rushing attempts - in both the Championship game and the SB, the Raiders had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Chuck Knoll several (Steelers)

Tom Landry twice (Cowboys)

John Madden (Raiders 1976 won the conf championship game over the Steelers by putting up 157 yards on the ground and just 63 passing yards)

Don Shula twice (Dolphins in 1973 ran almost twice as much as pass - 507/256 - and 613/259 in the previous year)

Hank Stram (Chiefs with the #1 rushing team in the league - both in attempts and yardage)

Weeb Ewbank (Jets had the #3 rushing team in attempts and the #1 defense in yardage)

Both Lombardi's SB teams also ranked high in number of rushing attempts (#3 and #4) and had a great defense. In 1967, GB won 33-14 with 160 rushing yards and 162 passing yards in the SB)

Rey
09-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Sorry but we lack the elite qb to get a superbowl. In the playoffs schaub will have have to make pinpoint throws under pressure. Hadn't seen it so far and no reason to think he can elevate his game. He is our weak link and we just extended him. We will make playoffs but I will not bet my house on schaub vs Peyton, Brady, or ravens. Would you? Would you bet him to beat any of those in consecutive weeks. Then win a superbowl? I'll stick with my house. Say what you want but he will be at Denver, at Detroit, at the jets, at new England then home vs Rodgers and ravens.

Most ridiculous thing I've read in a while. Thanks for the comic relief. :doot:

I'm not the biggest Schaub fan ever, but the guy is a really good QB. It's a good thing Schaub doesn't have to run the ball, catch his own passes and play defense by himself.

Am I taking Schaub over Brady or Rodgers????Hell No.

Am I taking the Texans over the Pack or Pats? :thinking: That's a better question...

76Texan
09-12-2012, 10:37 AM

I'm not the biggest Schaub fan ever, but the guy is a really good QB. It's a good thing Schaub doesn't have to run the ball, catch his own passes and play defense by himself.

Am I taking the Texans over the Pack or Pats? :thinking: That's a better question...

Does it matter if it's the Pats or the Packs? :lol:

I take Schaub over the Pats' defense any day.

I take Schaub over the Pack's defense any day.
The Packers defense was in such a state that they used the top 6 draft picks on the D.
They were dead last in the league in defense and passing defense last year.

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 11:16 AM

I don't know. We keep talking about this is becoming a passing lead & we're seeing teams win the Super Bowl with the 30th ranked defense (not last year's Giants, but the two before)...

Having said that, I generally come across as a Schaub hater, but I've also commented that we haven't done a great job putting talent around him especially at the WR position. If Lestar, Keyshawn, Posey, & Iglesias can provide the quality we need at that position, who's to say Matt can't be "Manningesque"??

He does a fine job reading defenses, pre-snap adjustments, accurately delivering the ball, & taking care of the football. If he had the options Rodgers has, who knows?

HOU-TEX
09-12-2012, 11:17 AM
As of right now....no

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM
As of right now....no

If the season ended today, who do you think should be there?

Corrosion
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM
If the season ended today, who do you think should be there?

49ers Vs .... If I had to pick an AFC team , it would have to be the Ravens or Bronco's after dominant wins over playoff teams while the other contenders played patsy's.

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 11:53 AM
49ers Vs .... If I had to pick an AFC team , it would have to be the Ravens or Bronco's after dominant wins over playoff teams while the other contenders played patsy's.

That's what I was thinking, more or less. 49ers/Ravens & it isn't close. Going by the eyeball test. Those were the only two teams, I thought, that had strong all around performances.

I liked the Broncos, but the Ravens way out classed them.

Ravens
49ers
Broncos
Patriots
Jets
Texans
Cowboys

That would be the start of my power rankings, if I were to do power rankings.

thunderkyss
09-12-2012, 11:55 AM
CBS's Power rankings (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/powerrankings)are a little different, a little more favorable to the Texans

badboy
09-12-2012, 10:21 PM
I want to see a good solid effort from all aspects, O - D- STs against Jags. Not too concerned about score just the play and handling their business.

Texecutioner
09-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Plenty of them:

Tomlin and Cowher (Steelers)

Brian Billick (Ravens)

Shanahan twice (Broncos with Kubiak as OC)

Joe Gibbs 3 times (Washington in 1991 for example, had the most rushing attempts in the league that year and the Hogs defense)

Seifert several times(Niners with Shanahan as OC and Kubiak as QB coach in a WCO in 1994)

Bill Parcels twice (Giants)

Jimmy Johnson twice (Cowboys - he may be flamboyant, but he relied on a good rushing game - in those two years, the Cowboys actually had 5 games in which they had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Mike Dikta (Bears had most rushing attempts in 1985)

Bill Walsh several (Niners - one of the grand-fathers of the WCO)

Tom Flores twice (Raiders 1983 with 542 rushing attempts - in both the Championship game and the SB, the Raiders had more rushing yards than passing yards)

Chuck Knoll several (Steelers)

Tom Landry twice (Cowboys)

John Madden (Raiders 1976 won the conf championship game over the Steelers by putting up 157 yards on the ground and just 63 passing yards)

Don Shula twice (Dolphins in 1973 ran almost twice as much as pass - 507/256 - and 613/259 in the previous year)

Hank Stram (Chiefs with the #1 rushing team in the league - both in attempts and yardage)

Weeb Ewbank (Jets had the #3 rushing team in attempts and the #1 defense in yardage)

Both Lombardi's SB teams also ranked high in number of rushing attempts (#3 and #4) and had a great defense. In 1967, GB won 33-14 with 160 rushing yards and 162 passing yards in the SB)

THis is all subjective, but you have a very odd list of coaches that you feel were "conservative coaches." Some of them on here surely were, but guys like Bill Walsh certainly were not.

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2012, 10:53 PM
THis is all subjective, but you have a very odd list of coaches that you feel were "conservative coaches." Some of them on here surely were, but guys like Bill Walsh certainly were not.

I don't think there's a clear definition for "conservative." I always thought Bill Walsh was conservative in his game management.

Parcells, otoh, could be downright anti-conservative with his 4th down attempts. Cowher had a love of trick plays, although he was normally pretty conservative. Brian Billick, an offensive guy, could be a gambler at times. Gibbs would definitely take chances.

But all of those coaches also had their share of conservative decisions, as well.

thunderkyss
09-13-2012, 08:19 AM

I think Kubiak's "conservative"-ness is also still in question. Let's see a relatively "mistake free" performance & see if turtles up. I doubt it as we have seen in the past. We've already mentioned several examples where we've kept scoring despite a healthy lead.

Indy @ Hou 7-34
Hou @ Tenn 41-7
Cle @ Hou 30-12
Hou @ TB 37-9

So you've got to ask yourself why does he throttle some teams & not others. If you think about the Tampa Bay game, he had already lost 2 QBs & still had Tj slinging the ball until he realized those 2 QBs would be out for the game.

Sunday's game shows you how quick a game can get out of hand once a team loses focus & starts making mistakes. Same thing happened to us when we played the Cowboys in 2006.
Houston led 6-3 at halftime (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2006101502/2006/REG6/texans@cowboys#tab=recap&recap=fullstory), then ruined their comeback chances when Carr threw interceptions on consecutive drives and Edell Shepherd fumbled on a kickoff return. Dallas turned all three takeaways into points.

I know it's very rare that a team will play "mistake-free" so you've got to use that term loosely & take into account the maturity of your team. Mistakes & penalties have a greater effect on young teams than they do on veteran teams, so I expect to see Kubiak loosen up a little, with the maturity of our team, but we'll see.

EllisUnit
09-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I think Kubiak's "conservative"-ness is also still in question. Let's see a relatively "mistake free" performance & see if turtles up. I doubt it as we have seen in the past. We've already mentioned several examples where we've kept scoring despite a healthy lead.

Indy @ Hou 7-34
Hou @ Tenn 41-7
Cle @ Hou 30-12
Hou @ TB 37-9

So you've got to ask yourself why does he throttle some teams & not others. If you think about the Tampa Bay game, he had already lost 2 QBs & still had Tj slinging the ball until he realized those 2 QBs would be out for the game.

Sunday's game shows you how quick a game can get out of hand once a team loses focus & starts making mistakes. Same thing happened to us when we played the Cowboys in 2006.

I know it's very rare that a team will play "mistake-free" so you've got to use that term loosely & take into account the maturity of your team. Mistakes & penalties have a greater effect on young teams than they do on veteran teams, so I expect to see Kubiak loosen up a little, with the maturity of our team, but we'll see.

DUDE Schaub played the entire game in Tampa Bay.........

thunderkyss
09-13-2012, 12:28 PM
DUDE Schaub played the entire game in Tampa Bay.........

Excuse me, I meant Jacksonville, the next week. We would have throttled the Jags if our 2nd String QB wouldn't have gone down.

HoustonFrog
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd say here...I think the Texans are a SB team. Being a Cowboy fan that came here I never thought that before. But I think the Texans are a very balanced team and that is what you need. I think they have the parts that control games....offense that can run and a D. I'll be honest..still not a Kubes fan and I think he is the X factor but if you look at the NFL landscape, I think the Texans are as balanced as anyone. The 49ers look the best out of everyone right now though.

Perki-Perk
09-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Excuse me, I meant Jacksonville, the next week. We would have throttled the Jags if our 2nd String QB wouldn't have gone down.

I think history would suggest otherwise...imo

76Texan
09-13-2012, 04:38 PM

I don't think there's a clear definition for "conservative." I always thought Bill Walsh was conservative in his game management.

Parcells, otoh, could be downright anti-conservative with his 4th down attempts. Cowher had a love of trick plays, although he was normally pretty conservative. Brian Billick, an offensive guy, could be a gambler at times. Gibbs would definitely take chances.

But all of those coaches also had their share of conservative decisions, as well.
The West Coast Offense is designed to control the clock methodically with runs and short passes (and an occasional shot downfield.)

The common denominators that can be found in those coaches that I listed (especially in the year they won the SB) was a strong running game and a strong defense (that didn't gamble like Buddy Ryan's D, for example).

Take Brian Billick, for example.
Even though he was an offensive mind like TPN said, the year the Ravens won the SB, his offense ranked 5th in rushing attempt and 20th in passing attempt (22nd in passing yardage.)

Wouldn't you say that it was a conservative offense?
Especially considering the Ravens had the top scoring defense and second in yard allowed.

With a defense like that, an offensive mind like Billick could have open it up much more, right?
But he didn't.

If you go down the list, that was what happened with all those teams (and coaches) that I put on that list.

And it was a long list.

76Texan
09-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm going to say something that I never thought I'd say here...I think the Texans are a SB team. Being a Cowboy fan that came here I never thought that before. But I think the Texans are a very balanced team and that is what you need. I think they have the parts that control games....offense that can run and a D. I'll be honest..still not a Kubes fan and I think he is the X factor but if you look at the NFL landscape, I think the Texans are as balanced as anyone. The 49ers look the best out of everyone right now though.

I thought we might have seen a little of a preview Niners/Texans in the PS.
Both teams are very solid across the board, and therefore, make for good SB contenders.

toronto
09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Its a long season, but right now, you have one of the best rosters from 1-53 in football. I'd like to see how things go if yoiu can actually keep Foster, Johnson and Schaub healthy all season, and not suffer any major blows (Watt, Barwin, Joseph) on defense.

Injuries are always a ridiculously big part of the season, as you all know from last season.

In terms of who scared me the most after week one, I'd still say the Pats and Ravens. The Pats manhandled the Titans on the road like they were peasants, while the Ravens look ridiculously hungry in destroying Cincy - both teams were better foes than the Dolphins.

As always, this is the internet and Sunday is a new week. Lose and the SB threads turn into "Fire so and so threads."

HOU-TEX
09-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Its a long season, but right now, you have one of the best rosters from 1-53 in football. I'd like to see how things go if yoiu can actually keep Foster, Johnson and Schaub healthy all season, and not suffer any major blows (Watt, Barwin, Joseph) on defense.

Injuries are always a ridiculously big part of the season, as you all know from last season.

In terms of who scared me the most after week one, I'd still say the Pats and Ravens. The Pats manhandled the Titans on the road like they were peasants, while the Ravens look ridiculously hungry in destroying Cincy - both teams were better foes than the Dolphins.

As always, this is the internet and Sunday is a new week. Lose and the SB threads turn into "Fire so and so threads."

+Rep. Good post

thunderkyss
09-13-2012, 06:18 PM
+Rep. Good post

Eh..... the Titans are peasants. If they had started the best QB on their team, I could see them as division contenders, play-off contenders. Heck, they'd be contenders if CJ2K would show up to help Locker, but when CJ2YPC shows up..... peasants.

toronto
09-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Eh..... the Titans are peasants. If they had started the best QB on their team, I could see them as division contenders, play-off contenders. Heck, they'd be contenders if CJ2K would show up to help Locker, but when CJ2YPC shows up..... peasants.

Fyi I am a Titan fan. Trust me I didn't enjoy saying that. It was men against boys.

ThaJokaa
09-13-2012, 07:25 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2zyww28.jpg

drs23
09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2zyww28.jpg

I like that. Kinda gave me a chub. :)

Scooter
09-14-2012, 11:33 AM
it's always about injuries. we have a great roster, with a ton of depth and exceptional talent at each level - schaub, andre, foster, d-bo, watt, cush, joseph, manning. with a full roster it would be a great game between the texans and the top 4 or 5 teams. if those guys stay healthy and ray rice goes down, or brady or rodgers ... we look like locks. if the reverse is true, we're going to need a lot of luck.

look at the giants. the deeper you get into the playoffs, the more outcomes are determined by defense. they got their d-line healthy at just the right time last season, along with being relatively healthy overall, and it was enough to get them a ring.

yes, i think we do have a super bowl team ... if we can stay healthy, or at least get healthy at the right time.

EllisUnit
09-14-2012, 11:41 AM
it's always about injuries. we have a great roster, with a ton of depth and exceptional talent at each level - schaub, andre, foster, d-bo, watt, cush, joseph, manning. with a full roster it would be a great game between the texans and the top 4 or 5 teams. if those guys stay healthy and ray rice goes down, or brady or rodgers ... we look like locks. if the reverse is true, we're going to need a lot of luck.

look at the giants. the deeper you get into the playoffs, the more outcomes are determined by defense. they got their d-line healthy at just the right time last season, along with being relatively healthy overall, and it was enough to get them a ring.

yes, i think we do have a super bowl team ... if we can stay healthy, or at least get healthy at the right time.

Less logic and more Homerism please :bender:

Double Barrel
09-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

We really can't answer this question without hindsight.

But, we certainly have a team that has the potential to be a Super Bowl team! :texflag:

beerlover
09-14-2012, 12:30 PM
If Texans can stay healthy, then yes :barman:

Thorn
09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I have heard of this thing called a Super Bowl. I can't decide if it's a big bowl of cereal, or just something I'm not familiar with.

Double Barrel
09-14-2012, 02:17 PM
I have heard of this thing called a Super Bowl. I can't decide if it's a big bowl of cereal, or just something I'm not familiar with.

I figured it was a toilet that takes everything away with the first flush. idonno:

thunderkyss
09-14-2012, 02:39 PM
I figured it was a toilet that takes everything away with the first flush. idonno:

I thought it was a toilet/bedet hybrid.........

:mariopalm:

GuerillaBlack
09-14-2012, 04:11 PM

Super bowl of some other stuff...

badboy
09-14-2012, 09:56 PM
http://i47.tinypic.com/2zyww28.jpgSorry, no. Show me a team roster.

badboy
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
How do you like me now?

Should be 5-0 after Jets.

Marcus
10-03-2012, 03:10 AM
Less logic and more Homerism please :bender:

Sorry . . . If we can stay healthy ....

If we can stay healthy . . . If we can stay healthy . . .

Repeat those words over, and over, and over again.

guichows6
10-03-2012, 03:32 AM
We WILL stay healthy!:superman:

SAMURAITEXAN
10-03-2012, 04:13 AM
How things change. We are actually talking about if we are SB team or not?
Wow, I love it! Texans all the way baby!

Go Texans!!!

Carr Bombed
10-03-2012, 04:17 AM
We WILL stay healthy!:superman:

:kubepalm: Mods please delete this post.. For the sake of Andre's legs, Foster's knees, and Schaub's entire body.. delete this post.

Remember "the thread" that was started last season and then guys started dropping like flies? If you're a Texans fan it's like being a baseball player watching your pitcher take a perfect game into the bottom of the 6th inning. Everybody already knows the guy has a no-no going, but NO ONE talks about it! :strangle:

Marcus
10-03-2012, 09:08 AM
:kubepalm: Mods please delete this post.. For the sake of Andre's legs, Foster's knees, and Schaub's entire body.. delete this post.

Remember "the thread" that was started last season and then guys started dropping like flies? If you're a Texans fan it's like being a baseball player watching your pitcher take a perfect game into the bottom of the 6th inning. Everybody already knows the guy has a no-no going, but NO ONE talks about it! :strangle:

Actually, this whole thread needs to be deleted. But it's funny there's some homers around here who don't believe in karma or jinxes.

2012Champs
10-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I hear people say that, but we will never know.

As for this season, I don't think that this team is near as close to Super Bowl quality as people think. The good thing is that they will have their chance to prove themselves on the field.

As for the next couple of weeks, I think that there is a good chance that we will be 1-2 after the Broncos game.

Im not sure how many 3 Int games Schaub has had in his career but it would be safe to wager that he wouldnt of had one in Baltimore. The offense was scoring 10+ more points a game with Schaub than Yates. We dont know because Matt was sitting out but its pretty clear to most that we would have been a lot better off with Schaub

2012Champs
10-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Actually, this whole thread needs to be deleted. But it's funny there's some homers around here who don't believe in karma or jinxes.

Im not sure its funny that some homers dont believe in karma or jinxes. I think its funnier that some homers believe that anything we do on the board would impact the game.

Carr Bombed
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Im not sure its funny that some homers dont believe in karma or jinxes. I think its funnier that some homers believe that anything we do on the board would impact the game.

Oh it matters :foottap:

Infact I think if they win the Chip, we should all be fitted for a ring. God knows I've paid my dues over the last ten seasons, I have the scarring on my liver to prove it.

HJam72
10-03-2012, 09:45 AM
I do believe this team could lose, or have injuries and then lose a lot, but I don't believe in jinxes and I don't believe that what I say on a message board is going to have any effect at all on any NFL game.

I do also believe that the Houston Texans are the best team in the NFL right now, and that could change in a hurry, but I'm still going to enjoy it for now.

badboy
10-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Oh I don't think what I say on a message board impacts the game. However I know the little dolls I stick pins in effect the other team players.....

welsh texan
10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Just enjoy the ride right now. This team is clearly capable of winning the Super Bowl, whether it will or not will depend on a crazy number of variables outside anyones control. When teams have gone 17-0 and lost the Super Bowl we know the best team doesn't always win.

toronto
10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Said it before on other threads and will say it again.

Stay healthy. Then the answer is yes. You will need homefield though. No trips to Foxborough or Baltimore in January. It rarely works out as history has shown.

Marcus
10-09-2012, 12:57 AM
We need to stay healthy.

We start losing people like Brian Cushing .....

Who's next?

Marcus
10-15-2012, 01:59 AM
Well, now that we just just got our asses kicked six ways to Sunday in prime time, I figure this would be a prime time to bump this up.

Still think we have a Super Bowl team?

I never thought I'd ever say this. I used to get pissed at people for saying, "it's not so much that we lost it, it's HOW we lost it."

Well, if this isn't a classic case of 'HOW we lost it' I don't know what is.

GP
10-15-2012, 02:06 AM
We're still a contender. Easily.

The Giants look like the league's best-built team, though. They have experience at how to approach each week, how to get there and get it done. Everybody wrote them off in week 1 when they lost to the Cowboys. Oops.

We're going to win the division. Remains to be seen if we can lock up the first round bye, but yet I still think we will. I see us as maybe a 12-4 team at best or an 11-5 at worst.

We've got 10 games left to play, we need to win 7 out of 10 to go 12-4......or win 6 out of 10 to go 11-5. I like those odds, frankly. Then it depends on the records of the other AFC divisional champs in determining seeding for other stuff.

Ravens and Pats are easily the biggest threats to us.

LondonTex
10-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Damn straight we got a good shot. Just need to stay healthy.

PandapuffTexan
10-15-2012, 07:58 AM
We're still a contender. Easily.

The Giants look like the league's best-built team, though. They have experience at how to approach each week, how to get there and get it done. Everybody wrote them off in week 1 when they lost to the Cowboys. Oops.

We're going to win the division. Remains to be seen if we can lock up the first round bye, but yet I still think we will. I see us as maybe a 12-4 team at best or an 11-5 at worst.

We've got 10 games left to play, we need to win 7 out of 10 to go 12-4......or win 6 out of 10 to go 11-5. I like those odds, frankly. Then it depends on the records of the other AFC divisional champs in determining seeding for other stuff.

Ravens and Pats are easily the biggest threats to us.

patriots 3-3...im more worried about the ravens then anything else..besides the ravens and patriots rest of scedule is somewaht easy.. if we can win one those games..we could go 14-2 which would almost confirm a first seed bye

BullBlitz
10-15-2012, 09:05 AM
This is a playoff team, because our division is so weak. But no, it's not a Super bowl team. This team will go no further in 2012 than it did in 2011.

Playoffs are high pressure, high visibility games. Not the Texans' strength.

Green Bay was the game that many of us expected to be the first test in a stretch run against some very good QBs. Not a good start.

BorrowMe
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Luckily we're in the AFC. I really don't see any threat from the AFC except for the patriots. The ravens aren't the same anymore. I see us maybe finishing 1st or 2nd in the AFC.

Sent from my LG-LG855 using Tapatalk

Thorn
10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
There is a 6-0 team, then there are two 5-1 teams that play each other this coming Sunday, and then everyone else has 4 wins or less. Yeah, we're a contender. We were a contender last year when a 9-7 team won the super bowl.

There's always a chance unless you just suck like a black hole, which the Texans are finally not doing.

beerlover
10-15-2012, 09:22 AM
Making the post season is all that really matters, I could give a darn about a perfect record unless the team is just that good which obviously this one is not. The Giants barely made the playoffs last year, but they went all the way winning the Superbowl. This was most disturbing not that we lost to the Packers but how we lost. Seemed like Texans lost all the progress they've worked so hard to improve on past four years, flashing back to 2005-06. OL looks bad, defense looks lost without Cushing, special teams continued its downward spiral, although Keshawn Martin was a bright spot returning kicks in his first NFL game. So even though it's only 6 games, Texans could turn it back around you just never know but in such a big game, nationally televised, full house the Texans sure didn't look like a Superbowl team.:whip:

steelbtexan
10-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Making the post season is all that really matters, I could give a darn about a perfect record unless the team is just that good which obviously this one is not. The Giants barely made the playoffs last year, but they went all the way winning the Superbowl. This was most disturbing not that we lost to the Packers but how we lost. Seemed like Texans lost all the progress they've worked so hard to improve on past four years, flashing back to 2005-06. OL looks bad, defense looks lost without Cushing, special teams continued its downward spiral, although Keshawn Martin was a bright spot returning kicks in his first NFL game. So even though it's only 6 games, Texans could turn it back around you just never know but in such a big game, nationally televised, full house the Texans sure didn't look like a Superbowl team.:whip:

Yep

This is also the 1st game they have faced an elite QB.

It doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

This game you had one team fighting for its playoff lives and another team that started to believe the hype. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call for Gary and the guys.

HoustonRaven
10-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Ravens fan here ... obviously ...

I most certainly think the Texans have a Super Bowl caliber team. I don't think that's even debatable, even with the loss last night.

As long as you guys stay healthy, I have a feeling y'all will be in the AFCCG with no problems.

HOU-TEX
10-15-2012, 10:03 AM
IMO, last years team was better. I think last year was our best chance at reaching the SB. Injuries ruined that season

Dread-Head
10-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Yes. One loss doesn't destroy an entire season. The Giants were gettin their butts kicked and were written off by EVERYONE but their fans when they clowned Tom Brady and ruined his "perfect season."

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-15-2012, 10:08 AM
IMO, last years team was better. I think last year was our best chance at reaching the SB. Injuries ruined that season

While I agree that last years team was better, due to issues with teams like Ravens, Pats, Steelers our chances are better barring more significant injuries. I think it all depends on how we play going into the playoffs and less on how we play in week 6.

If we have a couple down weeks and still manage to pull off enough wins, then get hot before the post season I will like our chances.

Mr teX
10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Never really bought much into the SB hype of this team to begin with. Too many things have to go right for that to happen. maybe enough to make it there...but were not ready to win it....yet.

Some cracks in the armour of this team were exposed last night.

For instance, If it ain't Watt making the play on the front four, we're going to struggle. Teams aren't fearing Barwin or Reed on the edge.

Teams are willing to wager their guys winning the 1 on 1 match ups against our secondary...& they are winning them.

I think our maturity showed last night as well. Stupid penalty after stupid penalty kept drives alive for the Packers....the spotlight burned them to a crisp.

& I can't make up my mind whether or not AJ is just trying to take it as easy as possible so as to not miss any games............or him falling over the hill over night b/c he clearly doesn't look like the same guy...not even from last year.

The1ApplePie
10-15-2012, 10:37 AM
The Texans certainly can be a SB team.

But I am still trying to figure out if my friend was right when he called the Texans "The Boise State" of the NFL. Dominating a joke of a division, getting wins against pretty good teams, then blowing it against elite talent

Mr teX
10-15-2012, 10:57 AM
The Texans certainly can be a SB team.

But I am still trying to figure out if my friend was right when he called the Texans "The Boise State" of the NFL. Dominating a joke of a division, getting wins against pretty good teams, then blowing it against elite talent

Your friend is silly. Boise State got on the map by beating those "elite" teams in prime time games (OU, Oregon, Georgia).

Furthermore, there are only really about 3 elite teams in the NFL in any given year...most teams never play all 3 so if he's saying that about us, he's gotta say it about almost every team in the NFL.

Indy dominated a joke of a division for 10 plus years and noone had a problem with it. The same for NE. Now all of a sudden b/c were taking advantage of it, its a problem.

eriadoc
10-15-2012, 11:04 AM
No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.

fiasco west
10-15-2012, 11:11 AM
No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time we play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

Super Bowl teams keep their QB clean and run for more than 1.7ypc against playoff teams. The Texans just played their first playoff team last night.

The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. The Dolphins have the same record and the Broncos would jump ahead of the Chargers with a win today.

So all this whole "The Texans have played no body." stuff is just that. Some stuff. The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I do think they are capable of going to the superbowl only because outside of those two teams I think they win against the rest of the AFC. Those two teams are very beatable.

The NFC on the other hand is the stronger conference.

Mr teX
10-15-2012, 11:15 AM
The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. The Dolphins have the same record and the Broncos would jump ahead of the Chargers with a win today.

So all this whole "The Texans have played no body." stuff is just that. Some stuff. The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I do think they are capable of going to the superbowl only because outside of those two teams I think they win against the rest of the AFC. Those two teams are very beatable.

The NFC on the other hand is the stronger conference.

great point...The NFC is a behemoth right now & last night's game reminded me of that Giants game we played a few years back. We were dominated at the LOS and Arian & the run game could get nothing going...................which in effect made our passing game terrible.

Packers, Giants, 49ers are probably the 3 best teams in the league right now. The good thing is, we'd only have to face 1 of them if we somehow made it to the SB.

eriadoc
10-15-2012, 11:17 AM
The thing is.

If the Playoffs were to start today the Jets would be a playoff team. <snip>

I never said they haven't played anyone. The Denver win was a quality win. The win against a Jets team with their back to the wall, on the road, on MNF, was a quality win. But you and I both know that there are PLAYOFF TEAMS and there are playoff teams.

The Ravens are a little beat up, so that takes a little of the shine off, but they're better than the Broncos or Jets, so it'll be a good test again. I expect the Texans to respond well. The thing is, you don't get to respond int he playoffs. You win or go home. There's no picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I just don't see this team, with the OL and even the ILB situation being as it is, winning three playoff games in a row. *shrug* ... maybe the OL gets better.

fiasco west
10-15-2012, 11:23 AM
great point...The NFC is a behemoth right now & last night's game reminded me of that Giants game we played a few years back. We were dominated at the LOS and Arian & the run game could get nothing going...................which in effect made our passing game terrible.

Packers, Giants, 49ers are probably the 3 best teams in the league right now. The good thing is, we'd only have to face 1 of them if we somehow made it to the SB.

Not only the Packers, Giants, and 9ers.

You have the Falcons who are still undefeated...then you have the NFC North and NFC West, in the west every team is at least .500 The team that is below .500 in the North are the Detroit Lions.

I think the Texans just play in the weaker conference. You have those 3 teams and hopefully we can be the better of the Pats and the Ravens.

fiasco west
10-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I never said they haven't played anyone. The Denver win was a quality win. The win against a Jets team with their back to the wall, on the road, on MNF, was a quality win. But you and I both know that there are PLAYOFF TEAMS and there are playoff teams.

The Ravens are a little beat up, so that takes a little of the shine off, but they're better than the Broncos or Jets, so it'll be a good test again. I expect the Texans to respond well. The thing is, you don't get to respond int he playoffs. You win or go home. There's no picking yourself up and dusting yourself off. I just don't see this team, with the OL and even the ILB situation being as it is, winning three playoff games in a row. *shrug* ... maybe the OL gets better.

Yeah I know what you mean. I also agree that ILB (and really OLB at this point too since they provide no help to Watt...) and OL is a cause for concern right now. The biggest concern is Joseph. The first few games our secondary you could argue was our strength on defense (run defense has always been meh this year). It's not because we didn't play anyone (They played great against Manning too) and felt like we got some pressure sacks and they made plays. Now Joseph has been picked on for two games and they just look sloppy out there.

Sometimes I feel like even when Cushing was around that this team is missing one extra playmaker on defense. If you think about last year we had 3 extra playmakers in Mario, Demeco, Barwin (who has vanished) I think you just don't replace two pro-bowl level talents. I don't care what people say about Mario he's much better than any outside rusher we have now (and I know we could not keep him) and Demeco I've been saying all along we would miss him and I always wonder how Philly can fit all these guys on their roster but we can't.

Double Barrel
10-15-2012, 11:40 AM
If last night had been a dominated loss to the Dolphins or some equally wretched team, I'd be scared the sky is falling, too.

But, we lost to one of the three best teams in the league, just one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and a team that went 15-1 last season.

The Packers are going to whoop some teams this year. Just so happens that the Texans were ripe for a whooping right when the Packers were coming off a wake-up-call loss to the Colts.

SheTexan
10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
According to MIKE and MIKE the AFC is the JV to the NFC varsity! So, it ya wanna believe what those guys say, the AFC doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning the SB. Do we have a chance of making it TO the SB? As much as any other team in the AFC. We've all seen less than steller teams make it to, or win, the SB. The team with the best record does not always come out on top! Our chance of making it lies in the heart, soul, and minds of our players and coaches. If they wanna do it, they will. If they wanna lay down and die like they did last night, then it's gonna be a LONG last half of the season. JMO! It's all up to them. The fans did their part last night, the team did not!!

Double Barrel
10-15-2012, 11:47 AM
According to MIKE and MIKE the AFC is the JV to the NFC varsity! So, it ya wanna believe what those guys say, the AFC doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning the SB. Do we have a chance of making it TO the SB? As much as any other team in the AFC. We've all seen less than steller teams make it to, or win, the SB. The team with the best record does not always come out on top! Our chance of making it lies in the heart, soul, and minds of our players and coaches. If they wanna do it, they will. If they wanna lay down and die like they did last night, then it's gonna be a LONG last half of the season. JMO! It's all up to them. The fans did their part last night, the team did not!!

yeah, you're right about the fans. Y'all were loud! My tv was shaking.

Unfortunately, no amount of rabid fan love will inspire a team that comes out of the tunnel flat. They barely had a pulse out there.

Watt looked like he was working on a M.A.S.H. unit, but he was the lone highlight, iirc.

fiasco west
10-15-2012, 11:51 AM

NFC has better teams, don't know if I'd go that far to calling it(AFC) JV...that would mean that the AFC team has no shot at winning it.

But if you get to the superbowl of course you have a shot at it. Easier said than done of course.

thunderkyss
10-15-2012, 05:47 PM
The truth is the AFC is pretty weak and the Texans are playing in a weak conference, you have 3 teams the Patriots (who lost again), Ravens, and Texans and everyone chasing those teams.

I'd throw Denver in there as well, behind those three teams, but still. They'll get better as the year goes on. If we get a bye, we'll most likely be playing one of those three teams, Pats, Ravens, or Broncos on our way to the AFC Championship game, then we'll face one of the other two.

badboy
10-23-2012, 12:10 AM
6-1 and two weeks to rest and heal. Any changed views?

Lucky
10-23-2012, 01:28 AM
6-1 and two weeks to rest and heal. Any changed views?
6-0 in the AFC. That's huge. I haven't counted the Pats out for homefield, yet. They're capable of going on a run. But the Texans have 4 games left in the weak AFC South, and I have a difficult time seeing the Texans with a final record worse than 12-4. That puts a lot of pressure on New England the rest of the way. Everything points to the Super Bowl coming through Houston.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-23-2012, 04:01 AM
To answer an original question. Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Yes we do!

Go Texans!!!

badboy
10-23-2012, 07:41 PM
6-0 in the AFC. That's huge. I haven't counted the Pats out for homefield, yet. They're capable of going on a run. But the Texans have 4 games left in the weak AFC South, and I have a difficult time seeing the Texans with a final record worse than 12-4. That puts a lot of pressure on New England the rest of the way. Everything points to the Super Bowl coming through Houston.

I would like the back ups to get more time at Buffalo. Yates, Lestar Jean, Brandon Harris, Carmichael, Brooks, Demps, etc. As season progresses more liklihood of injuries & we need to have exerienced subs ready to go.

PandapuffTexan
10-23-2012, 08:32 PM

The afc almost won last year, it all came down to a few muffed passes...If we play in the playoffs and the superbowl the way we played agaisnt the ravens..I beleive we can make it to superbowl and win it..

SteveSlaton20
10-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Of course we do. But the NFC might have a few teams better than us... we'll see.

PandapuffTexan
10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Of course we do. But the NFC might have a few teams better than us... we'll see.

I personally belive we arnt playing best football..our new starters still getting feel for team and arian still trying to find his groove..i think near december helath permitting we will be unstoppable..any given sunday..49ers whooped packers,but the 49ers lost bad to the giants, who lost to some bad teams, while average teams have beaten the packers..while the packers beat us.

So if football has taught us anything as doesnt matter who has the most talent, it involves luck and risk..to make some palys work. and its not always the most talented that wins (mario williams) it is which team plays with the most heart and goes out and plays the best football

ATXtexanfan
10-23-2012, 10:17 PM
Givin the state of the AFC yes. However no matter what our record , we will be the underdog in the superbowl.

PandapuffTexan
10-23-2012, 10:26 PM
thoguht texans played the best when everyone doubts them..they doubted them all year last year...they said we would not be falcons with rookie qb and we did..now that same team is said to be best team in league..im not buying it

thunderkyss
10-24-2012, 12:08 AM

The Bears look like the class of the NFC. Watching them Monday night, I think we'd kill'em.

badboy
10-24-2012, 12:13 AM
The Bears look like the class of the NFC. Watching them Monday night, I think we'd kill'em.
When we play them in regular season, will we be team against Packers or team against Baltimore?

thunderkyss
10-24-2012, 12:16 AM
When we play them in regular season, will we be team against Packers or team against Baltimore?

Same team. That Sunday night game had to happen the way it happened to get the team we have now. I doubt we'll see another stinker the rest of the way.

ObsiWan
10-24-2012, 05:00 AM

The threat of of Jay Cutler playing like an Aaron Rodgers is very small. Not impossible - cause he has his moments - but small. So I think we can keep their offense somewhat in check. However, the Bears have a defense that is more respected than the Packs' D. Soooo.... maybe they keep us in check too. I think the Bears game turns out to be one of those 13-10 defensive battles....
who knows

LikeMike
10-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Not the best teams go to the superbowl every year... what we need most is momentum and the most desire to win. Every team can beat every other in the NFL any given night - the odds may be pretty small though. But right now, I think we have the best odds of the entire NFL to make it to the superbowl.

But our lack of experience in big games may come back to hurt us in games in Januray against say the Patriots.

PandapuffTexan
10-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Not the best teams go to the superbowl every year... what we need most is momentum and the most desire to win. Every team can beat every other in the NFL any given night - the odds may be pretty small though. But right now, I think we have the best odds of the entire NFL to make it to the superbowl.

But our lack of experience in big games may come back to hurt us in games in Januray against say the Patriots.

ppst jj watt will imagine brady as a great all american burrito and eat him up;P thats how he rolls

badboy
10-24-2012, 10:36 PM
The threat of of Jay Cutler playing like an Aaron Rodgers is very small. Not impossible - cause he has his moments - but small. So I think we can keep their offense somewhat in check. However, the Bears have a defense that is more respected than the Packs' D. Soooo.... maybe they keep us in check too. I think the Bears game turns out to be one of those 13-10 defensive battles....
who knows'Cause we have never made average QBs look like hall of famers? I'm not too concerned about how much we beat them by, I just want them to control the game. SHould be a slugfest as you indicate.

badboy
11-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I know I should not but I am more or less taking this Buffalo game for granted. I see it as another week to get healthier and maybe give the starters some time off once game is in hand. It will be interesting how Gary Kubiak allots playing time. Hopefully, Yates and Forsett get some time. Mitchell also as Cody has missed some playing time with lower back strain.

DexmanC
11-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Let's not forget that Ryan Fitzpatrick introduced himself to the NFL through
embarrassing the Texans at Reliant Stadium.

ChampionTexan
11-01-2012, 05:02 PM

Yeah, but let's also remember since then he's 0-2 against the Texans (combined score of 66-16) throwing four picks and no TD's and posting passer ratings of 48.3 and 41.4. And those two games were against defenses coordinated by Richard Smith and Frank Bush.

The Pencil Neck
11-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Yeah, but let's also remember since then he's 0-2 against the Texans (combined score of 66-16) throwing four picks and no TD's and posting passer ratings of 48.3 and 41.4. And those two games were against defenses coordinated by Richard Smith and Frank Bush.

A shiver just ran up my spine.

The Buffalo fans could be right.

b0ng
11-01-2012, 05:40 PM

Why u no track 2012 in sig?

DexmanC
11-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Why u no track 2012 in sig?

They finally broke their 5-7 during the first twelve game streak last year.

This year, they can go no worse than 6-6 over the first twelve games.

badboy
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I sure wish Tate was healthy.

welsh texan
11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
I sure wish Tate was healthy.

I just hope Kubiak has enough faith to let Forsett take serious carries off Foster, and introduce Grimes when the game is already won.

I believe we're in more of a talent management portion of our schedule, it's important to rotate reps through this part of the season to make sure we win games and stay healthy.

Not to mention we're on a short week next week as well, but get an extra half week going into the following matchup, like a mini second bye I see it, 2 very winnable games so hopefully we can get out in front and rest our starters at least a little later on in both games before coming back for a tough-ish looking run-in, Pats & Bears plus 2 games against the Colts who look like an improving outfit as the season wears on.

badboy
11-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I just hope Kubiak has enough faith to let Forsett take serious carries off Foster, and introduce Grimes when the game is already won.

I believe we're in more of a talent management portion of our schedule, it's important to rotate reps through this part of the season to make sure we win games and stay healthy.

Not to mention we're on a short week next week as well, but get an extra half week going into the following matchup, like a mini second bye I see it, 2 very winnable games so hopefully we can get out in front and rest our starters at least a little later on in both games before coming back for a tough-ish looking run-in, Pats & Bears plus 2 games against the Colts who look like an improving outfit as the season wears on.My thoughts also. Let's see if Forsett can keep that 5 yard average with more attempts. I will be watching for Grimes to get some plays. Will he be active?

hradhak
11-04-2012, 08:12 AM
My thoughts also. Let's see if Forsett can keep that 5 yard average with more attempts. I will be watching for Grimes to get some plays. Will he be active?

I'm guessing Grimes will be since we've always dressed 3 RBs. I think Forsett will get carries if he can do something on the field. His last outing with Tate out, he averaged less than 1 ypc. We need big production from the bench. Foster is getting way too many reps. And if all goes to planned, we end up running a lot in the second half.

Bulls on Parade
11-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Yes, but they have to play a lot better in the second half. A lof of tough games coming up starting with a battle of two 7-1 teams in Chicago next Sunday Night. They can probably afford to lose another game against an NFC team and still get the 1st seed in the AFC, but this is a big statement game coming up. If we lose the haters and national media will say the Texans can't beat a good NFC team. I would almost call this game in Chicago a must win game just because of how horrible they looked against the Packers in their last primetime game.

drs23
11-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Yes, but they have to play a lot better in the second half. A lof of tough games coming up starting with a battle of two 7-1 teams in Chicago next Sunday Night. They can probably afford to lose another game against an NFC team and still get the 1st seed in the AFC, but this is a big statement game coming up. If we lose the haters and national media will say the Texans can't beat a good NFC team. I would almost call this game in Chicago a must win game just because of how horrible they looked against the Packers in their last primetime game.

Agreed. I think the Texans can win, but I think they can win every game. I'd like to see them roll into Chicago and put a Ravens like beat down on 'em but I really don't expect it. I just don't want to be embarrassed again on Sunday night.

badboy
11-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Forsett looked so-so & I did not see Grimes. If our younger WRs (Jean, Posey & Martin) do not step up, we better go high for another RB to take some weight off Foster. I do not see a playmaking WR falling to us. I am still ambivalent about Terrence Willams from Baylor. His stats are good but just don't see what I want to in his play to take him first round.

DocBar
11-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes, but they have to play a lot better in the second half. A lof of tough games coming up starting with a battle of two 7-1 teams in Chicago next Sunday Night. They can probably afford to lose another game against an NFC team and still get the 1st seed in the AFC, but this is a big statement game coming up. If we lose the haters and national media will say the Texans can't beat a good NFC team. I would almost call this game in Chicago a must win game just because of how horrible they looked against the Packers in their last primetime game.I think the Texans match up well against the Bears. We do everything well that they struggle against. Call me crazy, but I think Foster will have a big game receiving the ball. Screens will eat their pass rush up and that will open up things down the field against their secondary.

The Bear's OL doesn't stand a chanceagainst our front 7 and Cutler will revert to form and proceed to singlehandedly lose the game for them. Instead of Custard pie, Watt will be eating a Cutler pie burrito. Wow that sounds gross.

thunderkyss
11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Forsett looked so-so & I did not see Grimes. If our younger WRs (Jean, Posey & Martin) do not step up, we better go high for another RB to take some weight off Foster. I do not see a playmaking WR falling to us. I am still ambivalent about Terrence Willams from Baylor. His stats are good but just don't see what I want to in his play to take him first round.

I expected to see our OL take a big step this week after the bye. I thought we'd see Duan Brown, the Baddest Man Alive, instead... he was eh... The line looked better than they have, I think they're still improving, but they're not where I thought they'd be by now.

If they don't have it together by December, where we can run the clock out on anybody (we play Tennessee, New England, Indy, & Minnesota in December.... a fairly good test), then I don't see a Super Bowl, or even an AFC Championship game for us.

It was nice to see Arian Foster find some big holes, it would have been nice to see what Ben Tate could have done in his relief. I think we controlled the L.O.S. but we didn't blow them off the ball & that's where we need to be.

thunderkyss
11-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I think the Texans match up well against the Bears. We do everything well that they struggle against. Call me crazy, but I think Foster will have a big game receiving the ball. Screens will eat their pass rush up and that will open up things down the field against their secondary.

The Bear's OL doesn't stand a chanceagainst our front 7 and Cutler will revert to form and proceed to singlehandedly lose the game for them. Instead of Custard pie, Watt will be eating a Cutler pie burrito. Wow that sounds gross.

Except the Bears & Forte are pretty good at running screens as well & we're not the best at sniff'n them out. We've been better this year than in the past, we shut down Ray Rice. The Bears & Forte is a different animal.

EllisUnit
11-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Except the Bears & Forte are pretty good at running screens as well & we're not the best at sniff'n them out. We've been better this year than in the past, we shut down Ray Rice. The Bears & Forte is a different animal.

i'm personally more scared of the ravens offense than the bears, just sayin

DocBar
11-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Except the Bears & Forte are pretty good at running screens as well & we're not the best at sniff'n them out. We've been better this year than in the past, we shut down Ray Rice. The Bears & Forte is a different animal.Just play like we play. Build a lead and shut them down as they try to come back. Jay Cutler is entirely to fragile to withstand the Texans pass rush and thrive. His confidence is based on his last pass. The SWATT Patrol will reduce that confidence. They don't run a spread offense like the Packers or Bills. The Bears are the Eagles with a good defense. They hurt bad defensive teams but good defensive teams can shut them down. There is no reason the Texans should fear them.

thunderkyss
11-05-2012, 08:27 PM
Just play like we play. Build a lead and shut them down as they try to come back.

Completely agree with this. Another thing, we need to be stingy with the ball. Hold on to it for 6 minute drives & cap them off with a score.

Choppin wood.

DocBar
11-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Completely agree with this. Another thing, we need to be stingy with the ball. Hold on to it for 6 minute drives & cap them off with a score.

Choppin wood.The Texans are the stingiest in the league in that area. I'd like to see a comparison between the 39-5 record with 30+ rushing attempts and winning the battle of the clock. Wanna bet on a correlation?

amazing80
11-05-2012, 09:11 PM
The Texans are the stingiest in the league in that area. I'd like to see a comparison between the 39-5 record with 30+ rushing attempts and winning the battle of the clock. Wanna bet on a correlation?

That would be a fair conclusion. You don't run 30 plus times and have a low TOP

badboy
11-05-2012, 10:54 PM
I expected to see our OL take a big step this week after the bye. I thought we'd see Duan Brown, the Baddest Man Alive, instead... he was eh... The line looked better than they have, I think they're still improving, but they're not where I thought they'd be by now.

If they don't have it together by December, where we can run the clock out on anybody (we play Tennessee, New England, Indy, & Minnesota in December.... a fairly good test), then I don't see a Super Bowl, or even an AFC Championship game for us.

It was nice to see Arian Foster find some big holes, it would have been nice to see what Ben Tate could have done in his relief. I think we controlled the L.O.S. but we didn't blow them off the ball & that's where we need to be.I guess I am the sole cheerleader for Oline (Jones over Caldwell for now). We beat Balti and pretty much handled Bills and you know who. Bears should be another step one way or the other. If Colts beat us it will not be their defense. If we beat Chicago & Pats we win out UNLESS Kubes decides to rest starters against Indy. 15-1. I am a bit more optimistic than you.

welsh texan
11-06-2012, 02:37 AM
The Texans are the stingiest in the league in that area. I'd like to see a comparison between the 39-5 record with 30+ rushing attempts and winning the battle of the clock. Wanna bet on a correlation?

I'd bet the 39-5 record speaks more to how well Kubiak's vaunted turtle works at running out the clock with a lead than anything else, and yeh, that would likely translate to a gaudy TOP stat as well.

Think the stat is more of an end-based stat than a means-based stat however. Kubiak can be quite quick to start throwing it around in all situations from behind as well, we just arent that used to seeing it because we've only lost what? 3 meaningful games in the last calender year, & no I'm not going to count the tacks game at the end of last season or any other bumbling backup-laden baffoonery that went on once our seed was locked at the end of last season.

badboy
11-07-2012, 04:19 PM
Foster will be rode hard this game. Hope he doesn't fumble. I doubt Grimes gets more than a play or two if that.

badboy
11-26-2012, 02:55 PM
10-1 and we should only have Patriots to worry about IF Wade can keep duct taping the defense together. Colts last game could be interesting if coaches rest some starters.
Hopefully Tate will not only remain healthy but be productive allowing Foster some down time. Joseph will be rested in Tenn but I see him with groin issue throughout season. Sure wish I felt more optimistic about Brandon Harris.

thunderkyss
11-26-2012, 03:10 PM
10-1 and we should only have Patriots to worry about IF Wade can keep duct taping the defense together. Colts last game could be interesting if coaches rest some starters.
Hopefully Tate will not only remain healthy but be productive allowing Foster some down time. Joseph will be rested in Tenn but I see him with groin issue throughout season. Sure wish I felt more optimistic about Brandon Harris.

Just my opinion, but Jonathan Joseph should not see the field till Minnesota, then only spot duty to see how he feels. I wouldn't have him do anything that might aggravate his groin until after our bye week in the play-offs.

bshep86
11-27-2012, 01:06 AM
i'm personally more scared of the ravens offense than the bears, just sayin

The Ravens offense is not all that great. Texans already beat them once, and the Chargers shut them down pretty well this weekend. Flacco's only really had Ray Rice to throw to in short dump offs, and Torrey Smith. Just stop the bomb to Smith and hit Rice hard, and AFC Championship game should go like last game against the Ravens.

thunderkyss
11-27-2012, 09:23 AM
The Ravens offense is not all that great. Texans already beat them once, and the Chargers shut them down pretty well this weekend. Flacco's only really had Ray Rice to throw to in short dump offs, and Torrey Smith. Just stop the bomb to Smith and hit Rice hard, and AFC Championship game should go like last game against the Ravens.

Except if the Ravens are as clawless as you suggest, they won't be in the AFC Championship game.

ChampionTexan
11-27-2012, 09:54 AM

Except if the Ravens are as clawless as you suggest, they won't be in the AFC Championship game.

Baltimore's offense boils down to home field advantage - period. Through 11 games, they're scoring average is 16.5 points per game on the road and 36.8 points per game at home. That's almost a three TD difference.

If they go in as the #2 seed, they've got a very good chance of making it to the AFC Championship game. I'd very much prefer not to think about them getting the top seed and having to go to Baltimore in January again.

badboy
11-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Just my opinion, but Jonathan Joseph should not see the field till Minnesota, then only spot duty to see how he feels. I wouldn't have him do anything that might aggravate his groin until after our bye week in the play-offs.What is different now than when they played him a few weeks ago? I am not disagreeing with you but historically this season they have put him back on field as soon as possible. The defense is even weaker now than back then so it seems Wade will play him sooner than later. i would also think the coaches would desperately want a first week bye.

ThaJokaa
11-27-2012, 11:12 AM
KJac has proven that he can cover the #1 WR, let JJo rest till we play a team with a true #1 WR

thunderkyss
11-27-2012, 11:25 AM
What is different now than when they played him a few weeks ago? I am not disagreeing with you but historically this season they have put him back on field as soon as possible. The defense is even weaker now than back then so it seems Wade will play him sooner than later. i would also think the coaches would desperately want a first week bye.

I was saying we should sit him a while back, make sure his groin heels & doesn't cause further issues that would jeopardize his ability to go later in the season. If it were me, he'd have played sparingly over the month of November to prepare him for the stretch we're about to go through.

We may be lucky that it is happening now, with a 10-1 record. Hopefully we can win 3 of the next 2, then get Jjo & Reed back in time to finish what we started (assuming we get Cody & Dobbins back in that time as well).

thunderkyss
11-27-2012, 11:30 AM
KJac has proven that he can cover the #1 WR, let JJo rest till we play a team with a true #1 WR

I agree that we should be able to afford a little rest to Jjo. However, I'm not sold on Kj being able to cover #1s just yet. He did a fine job against Calvin Johnson, but he wasn't "really" tested.

When teams get desperate, like Greenbay was when we played them, they were desperate & I think Rogers new that he was going to have to give his receivers an opportunity to make a play. They made those plays everytime against Kj. 5 for 5 or whatever it was. I think Kj is an excellent cover guy, but he doesn't challenge the ball well, mainly because he can't locate it.

That's something he has to improve on if he's going to play the #1 with consistency.

Detroit had a comfy lead throughout that game. There was no reason for Stafford to test Kj when the rest of the field was easy pickings.

I'm a Kj fan, but I'm not blind. He's not #1 worthy yet.

Marcus
12-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Bumping this thread back up. I didn't see it tonight, and I'm really worried about the Colts.

coltfan123
12-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Bumping this thread back up. I didn't see it tonight, and I'm really worried about the Colts.

as you should be..

eriadoc
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM

I'll just quote myself from early in the season.

No. The OL is bad. It's going to be exposed every time they play a very good team, which is to say, they probably won't make it through the playoffs. I guess there's the "time to gel" theory, but 6 games in, Caldwell looked as awful as I've ever seen in the early part, and they can't even decide which guys they want to play on the right side. The LG is not doing so great either.

ATXtexanfan
12-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Superbowl lol. We've been exposed.

Mr. Texan
12-10-2012, 11:15 PM
not if they play an elite qb.

thunderkyss
12-10-2012, 11:53 PM
We got this.

When we win the Super Bowl & the rest of us are saying I never doubted, remember some of you doubted.

In 2001, the Patriots lost 5 games & probably had no idea what was coming.

fiasco west
12-10-2012, 11:59 PM
We got this.

When we win the Super Bowl & the rest of us are saying I never doubted, remember some of you doubted.

I still believe in this team. So you can count me in as someone who never doubted.

Seen crazier things happen then this.

GNTLEWOLF
12-11-2012, 12:46 AM
in response to the thread topic: NOT!!!!!

thunderkyss
12-11-2012, 01:03 AM
I wonder what it felt like to be a Colts fan the season they won the Super Bowl at week 14. (http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/schedule?team=IND&season=2006&seasonType=REG)

Heck, we were an 8-8 team & were the last team to beat them that year.

TheMatrix31
12-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Doesn't matter right now. Anything can happen in the playoffs and we're guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.

Rey
12-11-2012, 01:07 AM
We got this.

I doubted. I doubt.

I won't say I Wasn't a doubter. I'll just say I'm shocked and pleasantly surprised.

fiasco west
12-11-2012, 01:09 AM
I wonder what it felt like to be a Colts fan the season they won the Super Bowl at week 14. (http://www.nfl.com/teams/indianapoliscolts/schedule?team=IND&season=2006&seasonType=REG)

Heck, we were an 8-8 team & were the last team to beat them that year.

You know, Young or Dilfer made a great point about it.

Just a year or three ago the Pats smacked around the Jets in the regular season...we know what happen in the post season...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcRESwCSU3w

thunderkyss
12-11-2012, 01:13 AM
You know, Young or Dilfer made a great point about it.

Just a year or three ago the Pats smacked around the Jets in the regular season...we know what happen in the post season...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcRESwCSU3w

this game should help them understand how important it is to get HFThroughout.

I know the Packers beat us at home. But right now it's the only card we hold (& we still hold that card) to change this game. We can't feel good about going to New England in January.

Goatcheese
12-11-2012, 01:14 AM
There is still time to get the defense back on track, but the last 4 weeks have been brutal. They can't win a playoff game, much less a super bowl with the way they've been playing.

Giving Foster his big payday and dumping Winston is looking worse every day. The O-line just looks bad at times and gets manhandled way too often. It affects everything else we want to do on offense.

I'm not going to jump off a cliff over a stinker, but this team has some problems right now.

Perki-Perk
12-11-2012, 01:14 AM
In an era were people would rather make the "bold" more likely prediction that the Texans won't go all the way... I'd like to buck that trend.

Fact is, you aren't smart if that's what you are predicting. There is a 1 in 32 and by playoff time, a 1 in 12 chance of winning the Superbowl, so the odds are ever not in you favor.

Can't stand the ficklness. Makes me sick to my damn stomach and makes me want to punch someone in theirs because of it. F'n fairweather Houston fans... I bet half of you jumped off the Rockets bandwagon too when they went down 3-1 to the Suns...

thunderkyss
12-11-2012, 01:20 AM
There is still time to get the defense back on track, but the last 4 weeks have been brutal. They can't win a playoff game, much less a super bowl with the way they've been playing.

I'd like to think so, but I'm not seeing it. If we're going to keep throwing the same guys out there, we're not going to get any pass rush. Barwin..... it ain't happening. They don't feel like Braman is going to help.

I wish there was an elite pass-rusher out there looking for a job, but somehow I doubt it.

eriadoc
12-11-2012, 01:33 AM
I don't think a lot of you know what a bandwagon is. Those of us that have been around since the beginning and have invested both emotionally and monetarily have the right to *****. Identifying problems and bitching about them is what fans of teams do when they aren't happy. And how do you make fans happy so that they don't *****? You win. You win the games that matter. When you suck, you can get away with just winning. When you're supposed to be the best team in the AFC, then you win the games against the other best teams. It's really not that complicated.

When your team loses a meaningful game and you just sort of shrug it off, then you probably aren't emotionally invested enough to be on any bandwagon to begin with. If you criticize the fans that are passionate enough to demand perfection and ***** when they don't get it, then you just don't know WTF you're talking about. But at least maybe you care.

Don't question people's fandom. It's disrespectful for one, and even more, it just makes you look like an imbecile.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular; it just always comes up after a big loss when the really passionate fans start sniping each other. In case you hadn't noticed, take a look at some join dates on this board and think back to those teams. Then consider that most of those old timers came over from the board migration, so in actuality have been a part of this FAN community from the start.

houstonhurricane
12-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Eh, there are realistically only 3 contenders in the AFC - Texans, Broncos and Pats. We have beaten one of them and got crushed by the other. Not a bad place to be.

Furthermore, unless we implode, we are going to have a bye - meaning we will only be two tough wins from a Super Bowl (still likely both games would be at Reliant).

Clearly we are not a very good team right now but we have time to pull things together...and I think we will do just that.

klockWork
12-11-2012, 01:56 AM
I knew that right side of our O-line was horrible coming in the game, but I didn't it was this catastrophic. I blame this game heavily on the right guard and tackle. Getting blown up by Wilfork was one thing, not sliding to pickup blitz by LB's is unacceptable.

DX-TEX
12-11-2012, 01:57 AM
A big fat ****ing NO!

dream_team
12-11-2012, 02:44 AM
When your team loses a meaningful game and you just sort of shrug it off, then you probably aren't emotionally invested enough to be on any bandwagon to begin with. If you criticize the fans that are passionate enough to demand perfection and ***** when they don't get it, then you just don't know WTF you're talking about. But at least maybe you care.

Was this game really all that meaningful? We are still the #1 seed.

dream_team
12-11-2012, 02:49 AM
We still have the best record in the league. We only lost two games to two very good teams. We just lost to a team that hasn't lost, at home, in December, for something like 11-12 years. OF COURSE we're still a Super Bowl team!

midway
12-11-2012, 02:55 AM
We're not a super bowl team because we have no chance in hell of beating Peyton or Brady in the playoffs with our current LB corps and DB corps. We're simply too undermanned now.

TheMatrix31
12-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Atlanta lost too. And to a much worse team.

HJam72
12-11-2012, 04:54 AM
All I know is that Kubiak, Schaub, and Phillips better figure it out, because right now we have no clue how to win against elite QBs. Schaub cannot outscore them. He's a system QB that can't MAKE things happen when we must score and receivers are covered. Most QBs can't do that either, but elite QBs can, especially when Wade uses man coverage all day long. I know, he always does that. It works against most QBs, but the elite ones eat it alive. Their receivers were getting open so fast, sometimes they didn't need pass protection at all. Correction, Brady was putting the ball in their hands so fast, whether they were covered or not, that he didn't need protection at all. Only answer I see is we might need an elite QB (since those are so easy to come by), so that we can go into OT tied at 42-42. I would say that Brady just had an exceptional day, but Rogers tore us a bigger one earlier this year.

Norg
12-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Going man is a way to beat the pats tho Pittsburg did that like a year ago and beat the pats

same with the giants i think rush four drop everyone else meaning the linebackers can double team there TE and one on there RB then the seconday doubles the Wr's or triples the TE

GuerillaBlack
12-11-2012, 05:56 AM
This teams just seems to always mess up in the biggest moments. I gave them a pass for the Packers game. They were not focused and Rodgers was. The Packers had just gotten beaten by the Colts and the week before the Seahawks "beat them". They needed that game and some of the throws that Rodgers was making was just spectacular. He was getting the ball into the smallest of spaces.

This game? Holy ****. They just wet the bed. Kareem tries to be the hero and scoop the ball up one handed instead of falling on it. I had a bad feeling after that and what do you know...TD Patriots on the next play. Schaub getting too greedy and trying to force it to Walter in the endzone, when Arian was open with no one within a five yard radius of him. Schaub's inability to even get a couple of yards by scrambling (like Brady did) just hurt too because he had some openings. The defense was finally holding the Patriots down a bit, but Gary kept calling run plays with 8 in the box. If they could have just made it a 14 point game before the 4th quarters, then they would have had enough spark to maybe pull it out.

The offense just could never get going and the defense checked out. Plus, anytime they did have a stop, the refs gifted the Patriots with a call. The PI on the throw to Welker and the other to Lloyd, IIRC, just did not make any sense.

digitalswim
12-11-2012, 10:22 AM
When I was scanning the forum topics, I thought the title of this thread read "Do we have a SUGAR BOWL team or not?" We definitely have a Sugar Bowl team. Super bowl...not so much.

TexanBacker93
12-11-2012, 10:28 AM
We're not a Super Bowl team until we actually get there.

I think we can get there.

I think we will get there.

We can beat any other team. We might have to play better than last night; unless we plan on getting the Chiefs in the divisional round that is.

The Pats blasted the Jets in the regular season 44-6 or something like that and lost to them in the playoffs. Any. Given. Sunday.

eriadoc
12-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Was this game really all that meaningful? We are still the #1 seed.

Yes, this game was meaningful. Coupled with the Packers game earlier, it pretty well demonstrates that this team can't win a game (hell, even COMPETE) against the truly elite QBs. When you look at what the good but not quite elite QBs have done to to this defense, it reinforces that. When you look at what the really great QBs like Chad Henne and Jake Locker have done to this defense, you start to realize that this team is going to have to rely on its offense.

Oh yeah ... the offense. We saw what they did against the Packers and Pats. They've been fool's gold all year. The OL is a big, big problem and they simply don't have an answer.

Football is won and lost in the trenches. On defense, you have to get after the QB and RB these days more than ever. Our team's front 7 has JJ Watt and 6 guys that rate somewhere between stiffs and Just A Guy. On offense, you have to stop the defense from getting into your backfield. Our team's OL has two guys that are good, one of whom has always had issues with large, athletic DTs. They've averaged less than 4YPC on the season, and that's with one of the best backs in football running behind them.

So yeah, this game matters because it's a real indicator. Seeding just determines where you'll get your ass kicked by the Pats (maybe Broncos) in January.

HJam72
12-11-2012, 11:12 AM
I would give Antonio Smith a little more credit than that, although he didn't actually earn it today.

fiasco west
12-11-2012, 12:18 PM
We can win against Elite QBs.

But we NEED our Running game. Our defense wasn't completely lost, they got a few stops... Lets hope Foster goes nutzo in the playoffs again.

Really it's not about Schaub, it's about our other elite players stepping up. Remember Foster carried this offense on his back in the playoffs again and made his name. Running over the Ravens defense that was all healthy...I think we get these guys at home it's going to be a different story. Get a few stops and make Brady watch Foster-Tate grind it out. Kubiak should know the formula, we've had Peyton in our division how long now?

HOU-TEX
12-11-2012, 02:28 PM
As of right now....no

My feelings remain unchanged

Double Barrel
12-11-2012, 03:39 PM
Do we have a Super Bowl team or not?

Nope.

Our regular season will just determine where we will lose to either Brady or Manning. :runaway:

Tailgate
12-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Nope.

Our regular season will just determine where we will lose to either Brady or Manning. :runaway:

If we get them at home we have at least a chance.

dream_team
12-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Yes, this game was meaningful. Coupled with the Packers game earlier, it pretty well demonstrates that this team can't win a game (hell, even COMPETE) against the truly elite QBs. When you look at what the good but not quite elite QBs have done to to this defense, it reinforces that. When you look at what the really great QBs like Chad Henne and Jake Locker have done to this defense, you start to realize that this team is going to have to rely on its offense.

Didn't we beat Manning? Unless Manning isn't considered elite anymore. We can beat elite QBs, we just need the offense to give more help than they've been giving in these games.

TexanBacker93
12-11-2012, 04:50 PM
The biggest obstacle/hurdle we have to win the whole thing is at QB. I like Schaub. I still think he's better than most in the league. In another thread I've listed only 12 that I like better and there's a couple others that you could argue that would be above them. Some have much higher ceilings because of their age and others are already ahead of him.

However, if you look back at the past 20 Super Bowls you have 40 starting QBs. I count only 13 that I wouldn't put as elite/HoF. You could argue for McNabb and McNair to be added to the elite list if you want.

Grossman for Chicago in 2006
Hasselbeck for Seattle in 2005
McNabb for Philadelphia in 2004
Delhomme for Carolina in 2003
Johnson for Tampa Bay in 2002
Gannon for Oakland in 2002
Dilfer for Baltimore in 2000
Collins for New York in 2000
McNair for Tennessee in 1999
Chandler for Atlanta in 1998
Bledsoe for New England in 1996
O'Donnell for Pittsburgh in 1995
Humphries for San Diego in 1994

Of those only Johnson and Dilfer won their games. Both times they were going against other non-elite QBs.

So..in the last 20 years the team that won the Super Bowl had a QB that is probably going to Canton 18 out of those 20 times.

Getting there isn't as hard as I originally thought. 33% of the QBs in the last 20 years weren't elite. For the Texans to win the Super Bowl, though, we need to hope SF or Atlanta goes. I don't like the odds if they don't.

Rey
12-11-2012, 05:28 PM
The biggest obstacle/hurdle we have to win the whole thing is at QB. I like Schaub. I still think he's better than most in the league. In another thread I've listed only 12 that I like better and there's a couple others that you could argue that would be above them. Some have much higher ceilings because of their age and others are already ahead of him.

However, if you look back at the past 20 Super Bowls you have 40 starting QBs. I count only 13 that I wouldn't put as elite/HoF. You could argue for McNabb and McNair to be added to the elite list if you want.

Grossman for Chicago in 2006
Hasselbeck for Seattle in 2005
McNabb for Philadelphia in 2004
Delhomme for Carolina in 2003
Johnson for Tampa Bay in 2002
Gannon for Oakland in 2002
Dilfer for Baltimore in 2000
Collins for New York in 2000
McNair for Tennessee in 1999
Chandler for Atlanta in 1998
Bledsoe for New England in 1996
O'Donnell for Pittsburgh in 1995
Humphries for San Diego in 1994

Of those only Johnson and Dilfer won their games. Both times they were going against other non-elite QBs.

So..in the last 20 years the team that won the Super Bowl had a QB that is probably going to Canton 18 out of those 20 times.

Getting there isn't as hard as I originally thought. 33% of the QBs in the last 20 years weren't elite. For the Texans to win the Super Bowl, though, we need to hope SF or Atlanta goes. I don't like the odds if they don't.

McMair won an MVP award, so I don't think he belongs with the rest of those guys.

But that aside, you should probably compare them to Schaub...

And honestly I'd take Schaub over most of the guys on that list.

thunderkyss
12-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Reading this board all day & all night I have no doubt in my mind that everyone here thinks we have a Super Bowl team.

You wouldn't be so mad, so disgusted, so embarrassed with an 11-2 team if you didn't think this was a Super Bowl team. There's a couple of guys out there who aren't upset about where our team is right now. They knew we weren't winning a Super Bowl anyway. We're going to the play-offs, most likely as division champs.

You're mad, because you think Kubiak or our defense or a letterman's jacket is holding our Super Bowl team back. Think about it.

eriadoc
12-12-2012, 12:03 PM
You're mad, because you think Kubiak or our defense or a letterman's jacket is holding our Super Bowl team back. Think about it.

Or, like I said upthread, the OL will prevent this team from winning the big games. Of course, the head coach had a lot to do with the current OL debacle, but I wasn't really going there.

76Texan
12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Or, like I said upthread, the OL will prevent this team from winning the big games. Of course, the head coach had a lot to do with the current OL debacle, but I wasn't really going there.

How?

Because we couldn't keep Winston and Brisiel under the salary cap?

Or because Butler got injured and Newton and Caldwell also got injured?

Or is it because we give another first round draft pick to the D?

Not only that, you even blame it all despite the result.

Come on dawg.

Perki-Perk
12-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Seeing all the knocks on Shaub, I'm wondering what has happened.

At the beginning of the year, I thought Matt looked the best he has ever looked, and I'm wondering what happened since those first few games.

Was it the questions of his starter capability and the calls for him to back up Yates coming back from injury that motivated him?

Seems now that those calls have died down, he's back to errant pass, can't find the open man Shaub.

Is it me, or is anyone else seen this dropoff for no apparent reason, with exception to the Jags game, has Shaub really looked that good in the past 6 or so games??

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Seems now that those calls have died down, he's back to errant pass, can't find the open man Shaub.

Is it me, or is anyone else seen this dropoff for no apparent reason, with exception to the Jags game, has Shaub really looked that good in the past 6 or so games??

I am not a Schaub fan, but I don't think "he's back to errant pass, can't find the open man Schaub" I do not think that is the norm. This was a bad game. I honestly think Kubiak may have made too big a deal of staying even keel for this game. By the time the offense woke up, it was too late.

I don't believe this offense has worked as well as it had last season. Last season the offense progressed from game one through Matt's last game. But the whole time they were more consistent than what we've seen this year.

Losing Briesel & Winston we pretty much lost our ability to run on anyone, whenever we wanted. We knew that was going to be an issue. With Newton coming back, hopefully we can get closer to being that team & we'll see that offense again.

scourge
12-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Didn't we beat Manning? Unless Manning isn't considered elite anymore. We can beat elite QBs, we just need the offense to give more help than they've been giving in these games.

The Manning we faced in Week 3 is not the same Manning that plays for the Broncos now. I'm not all that confident we could beat them in a rematch here at Reliant, much less on the road like last time.

thunderkyss
12-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Anybody remember last year's AFC Championship Game?

Surely I wasn't the only one to watch that mundane looking Patriots team & thought, "We would have kicked their as$ if Matt were healthy."

This thing we're doing now, where we make the Patriots & Brady this unconquerable super team is the same thing we're accusing our players of. Being star struck by the great Tom Brady.

They've been beat three times this year, they will get beat again, might as well be us beating him.

badboy
12-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Posey gave me some hope and Keyshawn Martin remained solid as a returner. Most importantly Newton was back and should be back on keel next week. Cody made me shake my head but Mitchell did have one very good play. I still need a Nose and MLB. Manning and Quin seemed to make a good play then swap it for a bad one. Joseph did not get beat that I saw and hope to see him getting stronger each game. Schaub seemed more on target with the ball & not in panic mode. Barwin had one good play and then QB ran into him for a sack. I may have seen Luck take a $100 bill from Connor as he got up.

Wasn't happy with several of plays Phillips and Kubes called. Another week to get healthier.

Mr teX
12-16-2012, 05:03 PM
My contention even at the beginning of the season has always been that we dont have one. The o-line will hold us back on the offensive side and the undiscipline play at times will be a problem on the defensive side.

eriadoc
12-16-2012, 05:05 PM

It's just you.

Signed,

The Sunshine Club

76Texan
12-16-2012, 05:10 PM
My contention even at the beginning of the season has always been that we dont have one. The o-line will hold us back on the offensive side and the undiscipline play at times will be a problem on the defensive side.

I'm curious As to which team you had as SB contenders before the season started.

Marcus
12-16-2012, 05:19 PM
The Manning we faced in Week 3 is not the same Manning that plays for the Broncos now. I'm not all that confident we could beat them in a rematch here at Reliant, much less on the road like last time.

I agree. If we have to play them in the playoffs, we'd better have more than just Watt in his face, or it's done.

Thorn
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree. If we have to play them in the playoffs, we'd better have more than just Watt in his face, or it's done.

Manning's record in the playoffs isn't as good as Brady's. Either way, we'll end up facing one of them in the playoffs.

76Texan
12-16-2012, 06:51 PM
We have Newton and Graham back.
Jones and Brook will have more experience.

Posey is showing some flashes.
Tate is finally healthy.
Our depth is good.

We will get Reed back.
JJo seems to get healthier.
He'll get some rest before the play-offs.
McCain looks to be on schedule to return.
Our depth at CB will be increased with Routt knowing more of the play book.

We're in pretty good shape for the play-off run.

gafftop
12-16-2012, 06:54 PM
If we get home field throughout playoffs who knows?

We must have home field though. Just my feelings.

thunderkyss
12-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I don't think we have a Super Bowl team. I think they can be a Super Bowl team by Feb 3, 2013

We have Newton and Graham back.
Jones and Brook will have more experience.

Please tell me we're working Brooks out at LG..... please, please, tell me we're working him out at LG.

McCain looks to be on schedule to return.

I'm loving what I see from Brandon Harris. He played pretty clean today, except for that hold on Reggie Wayne. I don't know if it was a bone-head play that worked out for us, or if he was smart enough to take the penalty than give up an even bigger play.

But he's physical, I love it. Fast, I love it. & plays something like glue, I love it.

Mr. Texan
12-23-2012, 03:34 PM
nope. i don't see it.

team pretty much always comes out flat in meaningful games.

eriadoc
12-23-2012, 03:37 PM
We're in pretty good shape for the play-off run.

Evidently.

Tailgate
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM
What we looking at? Possible 3 or 4 seed now? This team is one and done.

DX-TEX
12-23-2012, 03:38 PM

Yep

Hervoyel
12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
The Texans will get to the Super Bowl this year provided they sent the payment for the tickets in on time.

JCTexan
12-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Win next week and Houston is the #1 seed. The worse they can be is the #3 seed.

Thorn
12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
They keep playing like they did today and it won't matter.

Tailgate
12-23-2012, 03:42 PM

That was my point. We must win in Indy (something we have never done) or its the 3 seed. 3 seed, 4 seed.... Its all the same. This team is lightyears away from being able to challenge for anything anymore.

Goatcheese
They can't win a super bowl with this O-line.

My worst fears from the mishandling of this offseason are coming true and it's too late in the season to fix it.

Paying Foster at the expense of absolutely gutting the O-line was criminal.

since02
3 weeks ago vs Pats 1 first string offensive TD

Last week vs Colts 1 offensive TD

This week no offensive TD's

No.... This is no Super Bowl team... Maybe next year but not this one

Marcus
12-23-2012, 03:47 PM
No. We do not.

The offense, whether it's Schaub or the Oline, or the running game . . .

No. We do not.

Hervoyel
12-23-2012, 03:48 PM

A trip to New England or Denver is a carved in stone guaranteed loss for the Texans. There's not a doubt in my mind. These guys would be hard pressed to win any playoff game on the road much less one against either of those teams.

Win next week and Houston is the #1 seed. Anything less than that and they're screwed.

WolverineFan
12-23-2012, 03:49 PM
No we don't. And that's been pretty obvious for weeks now. This is a playoff caliber team, but not a team that's going to go deep in the playoffs or make noise. I seriously doubt Schaubiak ever get us to a CCG, much less a SB.

TejasTom
12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
NO!!!!!!!

Posted using Tapatalk from my phone. May contain errors.

eriadoc
12-23-2012, 04:06 PM
No we don't. And that's been pretty obvious for weeks now.

Therefore, those of us who have been pointing out what's obvious for weeks can start to finally get some recognition, not for what we've been saying, but for why we're frustrated with this team. It's not that we're eternally pessimistic or that we don't want to root for the team, it's because we recognize that this team is not a Super Bowl caliber team. And through the first half of the season, they had us all believing they were. And we all want a Super Bowl.

klockWork
12-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Yes we have a SB team. We just don't have a SB coach and SB quarterback.