PDA

View Full Version : McManis traded to Bears for FB Clutts

Errant Hothy
08-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Per Mark Berman (twitter)

Texans trade CB Sherrick McManis to the Bears for FB Tyler Clutts

There is the FB. Wonder if the FO will sign any of the recently cut CBs?

brakos82
08-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Per Mark Berman (twitter)

We got a Clutts. :wadepalm:

Mr. White
08-31-2012, 12:09 PM
So long, Moran Norris.

The Pencil Neck
So long, Moran Norris.

He was already in the cut list.

b0ng
Congrats on making the team Mr. Carmichael.

Rey
08-31-2012, 12:10 PM
Didn't someone mention this FB in another thread?

Show yourself for congratulations on a great call...

08-31-2012, 12:12 PM
I really hope this doesn't mean Ball made the cut.

Also, I'm hearing conflicting reports that Clutts was cut outright from Chicago?..

76Texan
08-31-2012, 12:13 PM
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-05/sports/ct-spt-1006-bears-chicago--20111006_1_chris-tabor-brandon-manumaleuna-bears

6'2 - 260 lbs
Started 8 games for the Bears last year.

I guess it's time to pull up some game tape on him.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Just read the article there goes Moran Norris and looks like Carmichael will make the team so 6 CB's

Joeycharp89
08-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't know about how good this FB is, but I like this move.

NitroGSXR
08-31-2012, 12:21 PM
I thought McMannis did generally well on special teams coverage. We will miss his speed there.

steelbtexan
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Clutts is a very good blocking FB that can catch the ball out of the backfield. He is a great ST guy, but I believe he's coming off of an ACL injury.

76Texan
08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
We need a FB, and McMannis has the value to make this trade works.

I preferred McMannis over Carmichael at the moment for his overall game, but I do think that the Roc has the potential to be a better cover corner.

rolyat93
08-31-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't know much about Clutts, but I can't help but feel like this means we're keeping Ballsack.:wadepalm:

ChampionTexan
08-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Clutts is a very good blocking FB that can catch the ball out of the backfield. He is a great ST guy, but I believe he's coming off of an ACL injury.

If so, he suffered it in the final game, as he was active in the Bears final game last season.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 12:27 PM
We need a FB, and McMannis has the value to make this trade works.

I preferred McMannis over Carmichael at the moment for his overall game, but I do think that the Roc has the potential to be a better cover corner.

Exactly never been a Roc fan but o well see how it goes

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't know much about Clutts, but I can't help but feel like this means we're keeping Ballsack.:wadepalm:

What do you meen Ball is the **** HaHaHa

b0ng
08-31-2012, 12:31 PM

Chicago fans say he can't really catch or run the ball but he crushes linebackers a DB's pretty well.

rmartin65
08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I like this trade. Good deal.

beerlover
08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
I like this trade. Good deal.

Me too. Good luck to McManis who got caught in a numbers game :handshake:

76Texan
08-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Clutts played all 4 games in the PS.
He ran the ball twice for 6 yards (3 yard each time).
He also caught 4 passes for 32 yards.

Edit: Those numbers were in the 2011 PS

He also played for game during PS 2012, recorded no rushing attempts and had 3 catches for 14 yards.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
We had a surplus of young CBs and a need for a FB.

I had thought Norris's blocking last night was going to be good enough to get him on the team but I wuz worng. It couldn't counteract those two horrible dropped passes.

I like the trade. Hope this kid works out.

Killer Bee
08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Here's some insight from Bears Fans.

Sounds like we may have snagged another good FB from the NFC North.

http://www.dabears.com/showthread.php?44639-Clutts-making-the-most-of-a-long-look-at-FB-executed-strong-blocks

ChampionTexan
08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Chicago fans say he can't really catch or run the ball but he crushes linebackers a DB's pretty well.

Apparently, they are basing their opinion of his running ability on the fact that he is never asked to do it (Which might be competely correct).

In his NFL career, he has two carries. Both occurred in preseason. Preseason of 2011 when he was on the Browns roster.

No carries in 2011 regular season, no carries in 2012 preseason.

TEXANS84
08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
McManis has to be happy since he played at Northwestern (northside Chicago).

Good move, hate to see Norris go...but whatever makes a W I'm all for it.

gtexan02
08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Why did we let Vickers go? Contract issue? I heard he may be cut soon in Dallas

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 12:40 PM

Cause he couldn't catch and he wasn't that great of a blocker.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Wait.

Clutts is a long-snapper, too?

Rey
08-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Here's some insight from Bears Fans.

Sounds like we may have snagged another good FB from the NFC North.

http://www.dabears.com/showthread.php?44639-Clutts-making-the-most-of-a-long-look-at-FB-executed-strong-blocks

Great find, thanks for posting...

Sounds like we got a good one.

utahmark
08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Wait.

I saw that. Maybe they give him some practice and see if they are comfortable with him. If they are maybe when we need to pick someone up during the year he can take over the long-snapping and save a roster spot.

beerlover
08-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Clutts reminds me of Owen Marecic, Stanford who was drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round out of Stanford. Interestingly I believe Tyler was first signed by the Browns after a stint in other professional football leagues. Both players have experience on both sides of the ball. Both players are physical & play 110% all out. Lead blocker upgrade, better hands, quality special teams player & could get some reps @ LB if Texans get in a pinch.

In regards to Sherrick, I thought he was ahead of both Nolan & Shiloh Keo.

unrelated, but I hope hope Texans keep Eddie Pleasent, kid has excellent closing speed, instincts & is just a very solid football player.

HOU-TEX
08-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Didn't someone mention this FB in another thread?

Show yourself for congratulations on a great call...

I think I mentioned him. I'd heard they were going to waive him. I guess we didn't want take a chance on seeing if he'd last through waivers

BullNation4Life
08-31-2012, 12:52 PM
nice exchange. Texans need to try and find their swing Tackle for the year. Might have dangled McManis for that....

ChampionTexan
08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Tyler Clutts ‏@TylerClutts44
A huge thank you to the @ChicagoBears n the city of Chi for a wonderful year! Truly a 1st class team, city n fans. Will miss u #bearsnation
Met people that will be friends for life. Thank you all for the support and love. See you in Nov and again in the super bowl.
LINK (https://twitter.com/TylerClutts44/status/241593869605687296)

I like it.

BigBull17
08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Apparently, they are basing their opinion of his running ability on the fact that he is never asked to do it (Which might be competely correct).

In his NFL career, he has two carries. Both occurred in preseason. Preseason of 2011 when he was on the Browns roster.

No carries in 2011 regular season, no carries in 2012 preseason.

Who uses fullbacks to actually run the ball anyway? Not very many teams.

rolyat93
08-31-2012, 01:14 PM
Tyler Clutts ‏@TylerClutts44

LINK (https://twitter.com/TylerClutts44/status/241593869605687296)

I like it.

Dude is retweeting everybody. Lulz.:turtle:

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 02:04 PM
From these extensive samples of 2010 UFL highlights, he doesn't seem to have any problems with catching passes.....or even running the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmxZNzdwO2A

PapaL
08-31-2012, 02:07 PM
Guess he should update his Twitter because he won't be wearing #44

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Another convert from a nasty 4-year Fresno DE.............to a nasty FB.:texflag:

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Sherrick McManis is probably happy with this trade since he goes to his old stomping grounds...........he is originally from the Chicago area and a graduate of Northwestern

76Texan
08-31-2012, 02:28 PM
From these extensive samples of 2010 UFL highlights, he doesn't seem to have any problems with catching passes.....or even running the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmxZNzdwO2AGood find, Doc.

Was there any repeat in those catches?
Otherwise, it seems like he caught a lot of passes for a FB.

76Texan
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfgW5io_9tA&feature=relmfu

He can fill at least 3 roster spots all by himself, LOL

badboy
08-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Clutts reminds me of Owen Marecic, Stanford who was drafted by Cleveland in the 4th round out of Stanford. Interestingly I believe Tyler was first signed by the Browns after a stint in other professional football leagues. Both players have experience on both sides of the ball. Both players are physical & play 110% all out. Lead blocker upgrade, better hands, quality special teams player & could get some reps @ LB if Texans get in a pinch.

In regards to Sherrick, I thought he was ahead of both Nolan & Shiloh Keo.

unrelated, but I hope hope Texans keep Eddie Pleasent, kid has excellent closing speed, instincts & is just a very solid football player.Agree BL, Pleasant has been pretty damn good imo. Quietly doing his job. This trade is awesome to me. I think Roc is future & if FB is as good as Bears fans indicate could have been another excellent move by Ric Smith. Now if he can find a OT to replace Butler.

Norg
08-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Should of kept Leech ... o wait we didnt want to make him the HIGHEST paied FB in the NFL

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 02:54 PM
Good find, Doc.

Was there any repeat in those catches?
Otherwise, it seems like he caught a lot of passes for a FB.

I saw only a handful of repeats of plays from different angles in the entire reel.

Playoffs
08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Vickers had ongoing problems picking the correct man to hit in his leads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who haven't ventured over to the Bears forum,

Fans over there are pissed that Clutts is gone, talking up his blocking (a la Vonta Leach), and what a great football player he was.

Sounds like FB is not a position OC Mike Tice uses. Clutts may be the man for the job, give us some help on those run rights.

drs23
08-31-2012, 06:35 PM
We had a surplus of young CBs and a need for a FB.

I had thought Norris's blocking last night was going to be good enough to get him on the team but I wuz worng. It couldn't counteract those two horrible dropped passes.

I like the trade. Hope this kid works out.

Bolded, you nailed that. I'm thinking they've watched enough of the Vickers & Norris stone hands show. Both of them cost us EZ TDs. They're wanting something more in the line of Leach who bulldozed and did well as being fairly soft handed in the flats.

TimeKiller
08-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Good trade. I don't think McManis had a future here anyway.

El Tejano
08-31-2012, 09:05 PM
This now means that McManis will go on to have a Pro Bowl season and help his team make the super bowl.

Dutchrudder
08-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Bolded, you nailed that. I'm thinking they've watched enough of the Vickers & Norris stone hands show. Both of them cost us EZ TDs. They're wanting something more in the line of Leach who bulldozed and did well as being fairly soft handed in the flats.

I might be wrong, but I always thought Leach was really bad at catching the ball.

Rey
08-31-2012, 09:33 PM
I might be wrong, but I always thought Leach was really bad at catching the ball.

He looked awkward, but he usually caught the ball if I remember correctly. Didn't really do anything with it though.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 09:44 PM

Oh, no. I never thought that at all. He had fairly soft hands for a guy that was basically just a walking muscle. He would have caught the pass that Vickers dropped against the Raiders. Leach dropped one or two but I think he had a high catch rate compared to his targets.

The Pencil Neck
08-31-2012, 09:48 PM
He looked awkward, but he usually caught the ball if I remember correctly. Didn't really do anything with it though.

He usually made a positive play out of it. He wasn't going to break anything big but he was good as a check-down. In his 5 years with the Texans, he had 71 receptions for 518 yards and 4 TDs.

Maddict5
08-31-2012, 11:25 PM
just watched every bears offensive snap from last nite watching clutts (btw how awesome is gamepass condensed- they have the whole game fitted into 25 mins). color me unimpressed overall tbh. dunno what the bears fans on that forum were on about his strong blocking at the GL? maybe last yr pre-injury possibly?

last nite, clutts was blocking most of the time he was in (about 50% of total offensive plays id estimate) and while he usually got a hat on a hat and wasnt getting knocked back, he wasnt plowing holes either which, considering alot of the time he was blocking a cb on outside runs, wasnt very impressive. didnt see him pop anyone back once like norris did last nite. also once or twice, his man was able to disengage and make the tackle 5-10 yds downfield.

passing wise he was targetted 4 times iirc on short routes- caught 3 inc one nice grab in traffic on a bullet pass & one drop on a low throw that he tried to one hand grab- not a horrible drop like some of norris' last nite, but one that a good catching fb should make. wasnt in for any straight pass protection only play action.

he's not gonna unseat casey anytime soon barring injury

didnt notice any ST plays but was focusing on offense and skipped a few of em

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Clutts is one of those guys who oozes football and that's what the Texans like .

76Texan
08-31-2012, 11:48 PM
just watched every bears offensive snap from last nite watching clutts (btw how awesome is gamepass condensed- they have the whole game fitted into 25 mins). color me unimpressed overall tbh. dunno what the bears fans on that forum were on about his strong blocking at the GL? maybe last yr pre-injury possibly?

last nite, clutts was blocking most of the time he was in (about 50% of total offensive plays id estimate) and while he usually got a hat on a hat and wasnt getting knocked back, he wasnt plowing holes either which, considering alot of the time he was blocking a cb on outside runs, wasnt very impressive. didnt see him pop anyone back once like norris did last nite. also once or twice, his man was able to disengage and make the tackle 5-10 yds downfield.

passing wise he was targetted 4 times iirc on short routes- caught 3 inc one nice grab in traffic on a bullet pass & one drop on a low throw that he tried to one hand grab- not a horrible drop like some of norris' last nite, but one that a good catching fb should make. wasnt in for any straight pass protection only play action.

I watched a different game, against the Chargers last year.

He was not in on many snaps, very few actually (I've only watched the first half so far).

It was positive; he took out the ILB very strongly on one play and was adequate on a couple others.

I know it was limited "experience", but so far so good.

I'm not jumping to any conclusion, though.

Thorn
08-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Can he play RT or RG?

Wolf6151
09-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Can he play RT or RG?

Doubtful, but I'll bet he helps out Newton alot with some chip blocks or on speed rushers. I think we just traded a guy who was going to be cut anyway and got some value for him at a need position.

beerlover
09-01-2012, 01:03 AM
Anything or anyone who helps improve the blocking scheme & pass protection is fine with me. I couldn't help but notice Forsett did a solid job in pass pro against the Vikings. Overall their 2nd team OL looked much better than our 2nd team, this had to be a concern too.

GP
09-01-2012, 08:20 AM
I think Keo and Clutts should form an alliance together.

The Keo Clutts Clan.

Happy Bad Joke Day everybody!

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2012, 09:07 AM

I'm not aware of any injury history at any of his various league stops let alone last year?

brakos82
09-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I think Keo and Clutts should form an alliance together.

The Keo Clutts Clan.

Happy Bad Joke Day everybody!

http://i.imgur.com/NFuVQ.jpg

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2012, 07:44 AM
Vickers had ongoing problems picking the correct man to hit in his leads.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who haven't ventured over to the Bears forum,

Fans over there are pissed that Clutts is gone, talking up his blocking (a la Vonta Leach), and what a great football player he was.

Sounds like FB is not a position OC Mike Tice uses. Clutts may be the man for the job, give us some help on those run rights.

He evidently has been a real bull on STs.

Playoffs
09-02-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.stateofthetexans.com/?p=7215

Insight from a Bears writer/columnist
Well, basically, the Bears want to run a lot of “Ace Personnel” this season (2 TEs and 2 WRs). They’ll use their tight ends as lead blockers primarily but also to create matchup issues in the passing game given their new weapons on the outside in Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. I’m telling you this because it serves to show why Clutts is no longer in Chicago, because it has nothing to do with his play—he simply didn’t fit what the Bears wanted to do this season.

Prior to the trade, Clutts was, in my opinion, the best in-line blocker the Bears had out of the backfield. He played all 16 games last season, half of which he started. Not bad for a guy snatched off an NFL practice squad. Make no mistake about it—tape doesn’t lie—the addition of Clutts was a big part of what allowed Matt Forte to have such a breakout season in 2011; it’s something I know personally that he took a lot of pride in.

He’s the type of player you just want on your team: hungry, driven, humble, smart. He’s a good guy. He’s a solid special teams contributor, and when you review a lot of the Bears’ big returns last season, it’s no coincidence that Clutts was on the field blocking for a most of them. Well miss him in Chicago, but if the Texans plan on using him to his strengths, they won’t be sorry.

Rey
09-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm excited about him.

drs23
09-02-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm excited about him.

I am as well. I wonder who made this move. It couldn't have been that sorry POS Rick Smith. He's the idgit that traded Demeco and cut the Caveman. :kitten:

Must have been Wade. Or the janitor. :peek:

ChampionTexan
09-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I am as well. I wonder who made this move. It couldn't have been that sorry POS Rick Smith. He's the idgit that traded Demeco and cut the Caveman. :kitten:

Must have been Wade. Or the janitor. :peek:

Yep, apparently it was "trade-jobs" day for the Texans on Friday.

Rick Smith: Wade, I'd like to put you in charge of personnel moves for the fullback position.

Wade: Great Rick, and in return, you can decide who the last CB and Safety spots on the roster will go to.

drs23
09-02-2012, 01:37 PM

Rick Smith: Wade, I'd like to put you in charge of personnel moves for the fullback position.

Wade: Great Rick, and in return, you can decide who the last CB and Safety spots on the roster will go to.

Yep, that's probably pretty close to how it came down. But you know that Janitor has a say in it somewhere. :)

GlassHalfFull
09-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Yep, that's probably pretty close to how it came down. But you know that Janitor has a say in it somewhere. :)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3/NonStopPop/ScrubsExit8.jpg

drs23
09-02-2012, 03:06 PM

Yeah, that's him Katie!

MSR!

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2012, 03:35 PM

DRS23, Got her for you.

Evidently, the Texans janitor is overqualified and underpaid.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dgcaLG1UvU4/TMl070uMELI/AAAAAAAAKI0/Nq4JtfaizWk/s1600/janitor.jpg

thunderkyss
09-02-2012, 10:46 PM
I watched a different game, against the Chargers last year.

Speaking of Chargers, did anyone notice (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19998120/chargers-cuts-de-jacques-cesaire-released-after-nine-seasons):
Chargers Cuts: DE Jacques Cesaire, FB Jacob Hester

steelbtexan
09-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Gary made the call after Rick scowered the WW.

Rick is BoB's guy. Saves him $$$$

Gary/Wade and the scouts make the personel moves.

76Texan
09-06-2012, 04:52 PM

I take it that you were watching the PS game week 4.
No, he wasn't great in this game, but playing with scrubs doesn't allow his effectiveness to show through.

I had watched some 9-10 games from last year and all 4 PS games this year, and I really like Clutts.

I think he fits the Texans well.
He will need to learn the playbook and the blocking scheme and may not see the field much in the first few games.

It looks like the Bears had decided to do away with the FB slot.
They will still use a TE there once in a while.

This is what they did in several games last year.
There were several games in which they didn't have the FB in but less than a dozen snaps.

Clutts had a few poor moments, but nothing too terrible.

The five games in which he played more than 20 snaps, the Bears won all five of them (Panthers, Vikings, Bucs, Eagles, Lions week 14).
Forte had 4 of his best 5 rushing performances in those games.
His best performance was against the Panthers, a game that saw him dominate the opposition thoroughly (Forte had his career day with some 205 yards on the ground.)

I've seen him pancaked a few LBs.
I've seen him taking on some D-linemen pretty strongly.
I've seen him leap high to reel in a catch (he looks like one of our TEs on this play - but obviously, we don't expect him to replace Casey.)

To me, he looks better than Vickers in blocking, but not quite the level of Vonta Leach (the potential is there though.)

His hands are better than any true FB we've ever had (and I don't consider Casey a true FB).

Clutts should complement Casey well and provide the Texans with the FB depth that has been lacking.
(I was not a fan of neither Norris nor any of the young players.)

I really like this trade.
I think it's a win-win situation for both teams.
McMannis is now with a team that play a lot of cover 2 and Clutts is with the Texans, a team that likes to run the ball with a FB much more than the Bears.

Playoffs
09-06-2012, 06:52 PM
I agree & think this was a hugely important get with the questionable right side.

Rey
09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Speaking of Chargers, did anyone notice (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/19998120/chargers-cuts-de-jacques-cesaire-released-after-nine-seasons):

I'd pick Hester up still even though we just traded for clutts. Hester is a guy that I think would fit well in this offense and provide more flexibility on game day. He can run the ball, block from the fb spot or play out in a wing position as well as play special teams.

76Texan
09-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I'd pick Hester up still even though we just traded for clutts. Hester is a guy that I think would fit well in this offense and provide more flexibility on game day. He can run the ball, block from the fb spot or play out in a wing position as well as play special teams.

Some comments from the Chargers forum (from January):

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=92647&page=8
Not a personal attack on him or anything but can someone please explain Hester's role and his importance and why he is the best in the league at what he does.
No importance I say cut him. He can't block. He can't run. He can't really catch. What's the point of keeping a FB that can't do non of that??? You can draft one in the 5th round he will turn out just as good or better.
Hester doesn't do much. Drops a decent amount of passes, makes occasional bonehead mistakes (2010 fumble, stopped running and special teams catching a kick at the 3), he isn't big enough to block many people, nor is he fast enough to rush well. Is he a bad player? No. But losing him would not be a big deal.
In his early years Hester was a very good STs player. His play has declined on STs because he was forced to add weight to play FB. He's significantly slower now than he was his first couple of years.

That loss of speed hurt his receiving and running. His weight gain gave him marginal improvement as a FB. Let him lose those 15 lbs and regain his speed then he will probably be better on STs and as a #3RB.

He was faster than Tolbert when they both joined the Chargers. He at least could get outside back then. He would have been overall a much better backup RB than Tolbert.

His blocks are mostly cut blocks which if the bigger defender sees him coming can avoid. When he can't cut he tries to impede the defender. He can't clear a hole for Mathews, as he simply can't matchup to LBs.

Either allow him to lose weight and return to being a RB or let him go. They need better play at FB and that means a bigger guy.

Maddict5
09-07-2012, 07:43 AM
I take it that you were watching the PS game week 4.
No, he wasn't great in this game, but playing with scrubs doesn't allow his effectiveness to show through.

dont really see how playing with scrubs affected his game much if at all. its not like the rb was getting tackled before he could make his block. he was playing against scrubs too...

i just saw much more pop from norris in our 4th game. that being said, norris cant catch while clutts can

HOU-TEX
09-07-2012, 09:06 AM

To me, Hester is a lesser Casey. He does the same sort of things as Casey, just not as good. I'm not sure what position he fits best. Is he a FB? An H back? More like a tweener of the two? Who know, but I'd pass on him. I liked Hester coming out of LSU too

Rey
09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
To me, Hester is a lesser Casey. He does the same sort of things as Casey, just not as good. I'm not sure what position he fits best. Is he a FB? An H back? More like a tweener of the two? Who know, but I'd pass on him. I liked Hester coming out of LSU too

I think both Hester and Casey are hybrids, but I see Hester as fb/rb hybrid and Casey as more of a TE/fb hybrid. I think they could play all the same positions, but I think Hester is a bit more of a rb and Casey is a bit more of a TE.

I'd dump ball and pick up Hester in a heart beat. He provides versatlitu and special teams ability much like Casey.

If Arian or Tate get nicked up then you're down to two rb's. If you have Hester on the roster he could take some carries behind Forsett. If a TE or fb got nicked he could step in and help there too so we wouldn't have to change what we do too drastically.

76Texan
09-07-2012, 04:47 PM
dont really see how playing with scrubs affected his game much if at all. its not like the rb was getting tackled before he could make his block. he was playing against scrubs too...

i just saw much more pop from norris in our 4th game. that being said, norris cant catch while clutts can

First of all, let's not forget that even if we take out the 49-yd run (Clutts did his job well on this play), the Bears still averaged almost 4.2 ypc on the other 30 carries.

The thing about playing with scrubs is that often times, they do not win at the POA (for just a little bit, even with a double-team or a combo block) to allow the lead blocker (the FB) a better or quicker path to his block.

Those combo or double-team blocks are better executed by linemen that play together for a period of time.
The srcub D-lineman has a littler easier time as compared to the regular starter.

Trust me, I've seen Clutts put up many key blocks (with pop) last year to spring the runner free for a long gain or a TD.

Different sets of game analyst/commentators had many good things to say about Clutts. The guys from the Browns for example, wanted Clutts badly.

Personally, I was somewhat surprised that the Bears HC Lovie Smith doesn't regard the running game highly.
I guess he thinks Cutler is more suited for the spread offense and also it seems that he likes to have more guys in the Casey mode to open up the offense instead of grinding it out like the Texans did last year.

76Texan
09-07-2012, 04:53 PM

I think both Hester and Casey are hybrids, but I see Hester as fb/rb hybrid and Casey as more of a TE/fb hybrid. I think they could play all the same positions, but I think Hester is a bit more of a rb and Casey is a bit more of a TE.

I'd dump ball and pick up Hester in a heart beat. He provides versatlitu and special teams ability much like Casey.

If Arian or Tate get nicked up then you're down to two rb's. If you have Hester on the roster he could take some carries behind Forsett. If a TE or fb got nicked he could step in and help there too so we wouldn't have to change what we do too drastically.

Problem is Hester doesn't have the speed and agility to play RB now that he put on some weight since college.

It's hard to see Hester pressing the line and make the cut in our scheme.

I don't think he's a good fit as a RB.

And if we're down to 2 RBs, we can always bring Grimes up; he's a guy that you (Rey) likes to begin with.

There's a point of diminishing return with "too much" versatility, especially when you have a good team.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm concerned that when you try to introduce that "very versatile player," many times you tend to not properly utilize your consistently best and strongest options.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Flipping back through old topics...

Has Clutts done anything of note for us, yet? I don't believe I've heard his name called?

robroy72
10-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Has Clutts done anything of note for us, yet? I don't believe I've heard his name called?

You read my mind ... I was about to ask the same thing.

Section516
10-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Casey's blocking seems to have improved, along with his play making ability..Be hard for a pure FB to make it in.

thunderkyss
10-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Has McMannis done anything?

76Texan
10-10-2012, 12:09 PM
Clutts has done nothing of note, but he did play.

According to Football Outsiders, he was in on 30 something snaps on ST (I lost count since I had to tally the snap counts on each game individually.)

He also played 9 snaps on offense, on the last drive of two games.

In week 2 against the Jaguars, he played 7 snaps.
I counted 3 pretty good to good block, 1 so-so block, and 1 not-so-good/somewhat-poor block, and 2 kneel-downs to end the game.

In week 4 against the Titans, he was in for the 2 kneel-downs.

Nothing has changed from my perspective.
Clutts is good depth.

76Texan
10-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Has McMannis done anything?

So far he played strictly on ST for the Bears, some 80 total snaps in 5 games.

badboy
10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Clutts is cheap insurance for our running game as a blocker.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 01:44 PM
Clutts has done nothing of note, but he did play.

According to Football Outsiders, he was in on 30 something snaps on ST (I lost count since I had to tally the snap counts on each game individually.)

He also played 9 snaps on offense, on the last drive of two games.

In week 2 against the Jaguars, he played 7 snaps.
I counted 3 pretty good to good block, 1 so-so block, and 1 not-so-good/somewhat-poor block, and 2 kneel-downs to end the game.

In week 4 against the Titans, he was in for the 2 kneel-downs.

Nothing has changed from my perspective.
Clutts is good depth.Thanks 76T, MSR.

PapaL
10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
What # does he wear? I honestly can't place him at all.

Playoffs
10-10-2012, 04:47 PM
http://binaryapi.ap.org/b317b819331d4de58cac617d91350198/512x.jpg

76Texan
10-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Clutts wears #40.

Like I said, the most number of offensive snaps he saw was in week 2.
In week 4, he was in for 2 kneels down and he was standing close to the line, it's hard to see him.

I saw that playoffs already posts a pix just before I post this, haha!

paycheck71
10-10-2012, 05:06 PM

The only time I saw him was before Monday night's game when he was warming up catching balls next to either Schaub or TJ and then handing them to the QB.

PapaL
10-10-2012, 06:10 PM
http://binaryapi.ap.org/b317b819331d4de58cac617d91350198/512x.jpg

Clutts wears #40.

Like I said, the most number of offensive snaps he saw was in week 2.
In week 4, he was in for 2 kneels down and he was standing close to the line, it's hard to see him.

I saw that playoffs already posts a pix just before I post this, haha!

Much obliged...