PDA

View Full Version : butler done for season

Heath Shuler
08-30-2012, 10:55 PM
Kubiak says T Rashad Butler tore his triceps muscle tonight and will be out for the season. #HTPreseason -- Houston Texans (@HoustonTexans)

GuerillaBlack
08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Winston please come in...

NastyNate
08-30-2012, 10:56 PM
already thin on the O-line, this is pretty devestating.

msbbc833
08-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Who else can play RT besides Newton?

Heath Shuler
08-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Trade Tate for a rt?

phantom17
08-30-2012, 10:59 PM
Waver wire...........hoping!

Rey
Trade Tate for a rt?

Man I was thinking about that...I'd trade Tate and merciless for a good RT or guard.

The Pencil Neck

They had Gardner playing RT and Brandon Brooks has the size to do it, not sure if he's polished enough for it, though.

I expect us to go DB and Newton as our tackles with Gardner as the swing. We might keep 4 though.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:00 PM

Kubiak talked about playing Brooks at OT if need be during the off season and training camp

b0ng
08-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Man I was thinking about that...I'd trade Tate and merciless for a good RT or guard.

Good thing you're a keyboard GM then good god. Expect Gardener to be the swing T.

Honoring Earl 34
What's the deal with Butler and tearing muscles ?

How about Brandon Brooks at RT or is he to small ?

Hervoyel

No. Someone will shake free tomorrow who can do this job. There is no need to go throwing away great players and first round draft picks for a RT.

The Pencil Neck
08-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Kubiak talked about playing Brooks at OT if need be during the off season and training camp

Is there a post-game press conference online? The video isn't playing for me on HT.com.

Bleed_Blu_Red
Ya sucks butler out but trade Tate or The Merca for a Rt hahahaha crazy talk

Texn4life
That stings a little....... I have confidence in Newton but we need a versatile swing Tackle. The waiver wire tomorrow may allow a vet to come in here and fit in alright.

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:03 PM

Brooks is struggling to grasp the guard position. I doubt theyll throw him out there on the edge.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:03 PM
The last time I seen it/read about it was on the Texans website

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:04 PM
No. Someone will shake free tomorrow who can do this job. There is no need to go throwing away great players and first round draft picks for a RT.

I think Tate is s great player, but we can agree to disagree on merciless. If give him up for a good starting caliber guard or RT in a heart beat.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:05 PM
Brooks is struggling to grasp the guard position. I doubt theyll throw him out there on the edge.

Agreed Brooks is crazy Raw but hey sometimes you gota put on those BIG Boy Panties and go to work

b0ng
08-30-2012, 11:05 PM
I think Tate is s great player, but we can agree to disagree on merciless. If give him up for a good starting caliber guard or RT in a heart beat.

This is like the most quintessential knee-jerk reaction to preseason I have ever seen.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Is there a post-game press conference online? The video isn't playing for me on HT.com.

If the Texans website isn't working for you You can also try the Chronicle website and maybe search thru old articles

Honoring Earl 34
08-30-2012, 11:07 PM

The Rams just traded Jason Smith , the former #2 pick in the draft , to the Jets for an even worse OT .

Texn4life
08-30-2012, 11:08 PM
I missed the game live but I'm watching it right now. Butler just hasn't looked like the same player to me. I find it very hard to believe we can't find someone to fill his shoes. I'm not panicking and I'm sure the coaches aren't either.

Rey
Agreed Brooks is crazy Raw but hey sometimes you gota put on those BIG Boy Panties and go to work

That's true. More mentally demanding on the interior, gotta use more athleticism outside.

So you could be right that he could be an option if it called for it.

Bleed_Blu_Red
What's the deal with Butler and tearing muscles ?

How about Brandon Brooks at RT or is he to small ?

Too small haha by no Meens Brooks is 6'5 330

Lurvinator11
08-30-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm sure we will get a back up vet RT to back up Newton. He was already announced as the starter anyway right?

Nawzer
08-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnn.

Ryan
08-30-2012, 11:10 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wAxDMfEGhoY/TQrlbN4gYXI/AAAAAAAAAXg/kmwztAAni44/s400/Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:11 PM
That's true. More mentally demanding on the interior, gotta use more athleticism outside.

So you could be right that he could be an option if it called for it.

Yep, I would prefer that anyways to help/speed up his development plus wouldn't want to see some one worth keeping get cut and have to be a casualty of having to bring in another OT

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:14 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wAxDMfEGhoY/TQrlbN4gYXI/AAAAAAAAAXg/kmwztAAni44/s400/Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg

Dead serious. Would hate to give up Tate, but a good RT or RG would go a long way this season. Would make the offense even better. And I think the rb position would still be productive.

Texn4life
08-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Dead serious. Would hate to give up Tate, but a good RT or RG would go a long way this season. Would make the offense even better. And I think the rb position would still be productive.

The problem is you aren't going to get anyone of value at this point even if you wanted to. Tate would need to command a borderline pro bowl player at the position and a team isn't going to just part with that right now. Too many variables in the mix.

cuppacoffee
08-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Go ahead :shetexan: Say it.

You told us so and nobody would listen.:bowdown:

:coffee:

Marcus
08-30-2012, 11:19 PM
This is like the most quintessential knee-jerk reaction to preseason I have ever seen.

This.

Rey's hated the Merciless pick from day one, so you can't be surprised he'd say something like that.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:21 PM
The Browns where willing to give us a 1st rnd pick for Tate in the off season. so to jump the gun with Butlers injury and say trade Tate for a Rt is crazy we would screw are selfs out of a potential Pick in this coming off season and we wouldn't get a Olineman worth what Tate's value is

rolyat93
08-30-2012, 11:21 PM
This really sucks, hopefully a solid vet can be picked up off the waiver wire.

Tell Chester Pitts to take off the headset and put the pads back on, lulz.

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:23 PM
This.

Rey's hated the Merciless pick from day one, so you can't be surprised he'd say something like that.

Well if I haven't liked the pick since day one why are you agreeing that it's a knee jerk reaction to pre season.

Heath Shuler
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
The Browns where willing to give us a 1st rnd pick for Tate in the off season. so to jump the gun with Butlers injury and say trade Tate for a Rt is crazy we would screw are selfs out of a potential Pick in this coming off season and we wouldn't get a Olineman worth what Tate's value is

Potential pick? The future is NOW.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
This really sucks, hopefully a solid vet can be picked up off the waiver wire.

Tell Chester Pitts to take off the headset and put the pads back on, lulz.

Hahahaha Pitts as long as he don't Got to block Kris Jenkins anymore he would be solid hahaha

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:26 PM

Texans are not going to trade Tate for an o linemen. I think that's safe to assume.

That said, I wish they'd consider it. Im not really concerned about adding young players in the future. We should be trying to give ourselves the best chance to win now No one is going to give us a high first rounder for Tate anyways.

Merciless would just be a throw in for me. LOL.

TexanSam
08-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Well this sucks. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a guy who's as average as Butler is, but I doubt it. Why would teams cut even average offensive linemen when they make for valuable depth in-case something like this happens.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Potential pick? The future is NOW.

Foster can carry the load alone but why would you want to punish him like that and cut some tread off his tires when he hasnt even reached his prime. we probably won't be able to resign Tate so why wouldn't you use him then when the time comes trade him that's just stupid to trade him when he has so much value

gtexan02
Texans are not going to trade Tate for an o linemen. I think that's safe to assume.

That said, I wish they'd consider it. Im not really concerned about adding young players in the future. We should be trying to give ourselves the best chance to win now No one is going to give us a high first rounder for Tate anyways.

Why the hate against merciless? The dude has sacks in consecutive games now

He finished his preseason with 10 tackles and 3.5 sacks in 4 games. What is there to dislike?

Trading him and Tate for an OL is just silly. Merciless gives us a pass rusher we desperately need behind Barwin and Reed. Tate is a must have backup to Foster (unless we want to run him into the ground) that doesn't lose much from the RB1. They cost us a tiny amount of money. Their value is >>>> their cost.

Any great RT that we would get is likely too expensive. If were interested in a high profile RT we'd have kept Winston. Not to mention they wouldn't have any experience in our system...

pirbroke
No need to talk trade unless we lose one of our starters. Just keep our backup stars for now and cross your fingers.

Allstar
08-30-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry Rey, but based on your thoughts in this thread, I think you'd be the worst owner in sports history.

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Foster can not carry the load alone why would you want to punish him like that and we probably won't be able to resign Tate so why wouldn't you use him then when the time comes trade him that's just stupid to trade him when he has so much value

Foster would have Forsett to carry the load with. Forsett looks more than capable.

And I don't understand why people think tate's value is going to be so high. Almost every team in the league has a good rb.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:31 PM

That's what I'm saying F da pick and the trade keep Tate and use him

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Why the hate against merciless? The dude has sacks in consecutive games now

He finished his preseason with 10 tackles and 3.5 sacks in 4 games. What is there to dislike?

I don't hate merciless. He looks like he can be an ok to good player.

rolyat93
08-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Why would teams cut even average offensive linemen when they make for valuable depth in-case something like this happens.

Money, money, money.(See also: Eric Winston)

Texan_Bill
Having played every position on the "O"line (center sux), O-lineman will work it out!!! #FACT!!!

dc_txtech
This sucks. Even if Butler wasn't going to start this season, he was backing up LT and RT. It's like we just lost two backups.

As far as trading Tate and/or Mercilus for a RT, we just cut a a perfectly fine RT for cap reasons. I will eat my hat live on Webcam if that happens.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:34 PM
Foster would have Forsett to carry the load with. Forsett looks more than capable.

And I don't understand why people think tate's value is going to be so high. Almost every team in the league has a good rb.

Forsett no way Steve Slaton jr never been a fan of small guys at Rb unless there a beefcake like MJD or Ray Rice. As a change of pace back Forsett is solid but as a back up as much as we run now no he wouldn't last I would Take Grimes as a backup though

steelbtexan
08-30-2012, 11:36 PM

^^^^
This

I thought Brooks played very well tonight though.

Honoring Earl 34
08-30-2012, 11:40 PM
So who has all this talent at tackle that we're going to trade with ?

I wonder if Ryan Harris will get cut by Denver .

srrono
its been a scary preseason. Wish him luck

Rey
Forsett no way Steve Slaton jr never been a fan of small guys at Rb unless there a beefcake like MJD. As a change of pace back Forsett is solid but as a back up as much as we run now no he wouldn't last I would Take Grimes as a backup though

We're talking about the back up rb. Tate carried the ball less than 200 times last year and that is with him getting a few starts.

People have short memories. Tate did great when he got his carries last year, but do you not remember questioning why Tate wasn't used as much last year? There were games where Tate barely saw the field.

As good as Tate is, you aren't going to want Arian to come out for long stretches. And there is a good chance you might have to trade or lose Tate anyways, so I'm all for getting a good o lineman.

Only problem is I don't see any team trading a good o lineman for Tate alone. Hence the merciless throw in :)

b0ng
08-30-2012, 11:42 PM
We're talking about the back up rb. Tate carried the ball less than 200 times last year and that is with him getting a few starts.

People have short memories. Tate did great when he got his carries last year, but do you not remember questioning why Tate wasn't used as much last year? There were games where Tate barely saw the field.

As good as Tate is, you aren't going to want Arian to come out for long stretches. And there is a good chance you might have to trade or lose Tate anyways, so I'm all for getting a good o lineman.

Only problem is I don't see any team trading a good o lineman for Tate alone. Hence the merciless throw in :)

The more you keep talking about this trade the sillier you look.

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:44 PM
So who has all this talent at tackle that we're going to trade with ?

I wonder if Ryan Harris will get cut by Denver .

People here are not wanting to trade Tate, but i can't see many teams out there trading a good starting o lineman for him.

TexanSam
08-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but this scenario is not realistic at all.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:47 PM

Trust me I don't have a short memory but kinda hard to get touches when the guy in front of you is the **** come on and Forsett wouldn't even come close to Being as productive as Tate period

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:47 PM
Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but this scenario is not realistic at all.

No it's not likely to happen, but you don't even have to read that far back to where I already said that.

Rey
08-30-2012, 11:50 PM
Trust me I don't have a short memory but kinda hard to get touches when the guy in front of you is the **** come on and Forsett wouldn't even come close to Being as productive as Tate period

I didn't say Forsett would be as productive. My point is that he should at least be serviceable. Productive enough.

I think you guys have your homer glasses on.

The reason this trade wouldn't work is because no team is going to trade a starting caliber o lineman for Tate. Not because Tate is too valuable to trade.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:52 PM
In the end we are all Texans fans and want that Ring so everyone is entitled to speak there mind that's the whole fun of debate to agree to disagree So in the end Go TEXANNATION

Honoring Earl 34
08-30-2012, 11:54 PM
People here are not wanting to trade Tate, but i can't see many teams out there trading a good starting o lineman for him.

Legend has it Tates worth a 1st round pick . To me that means you want get good value now because you're not getting someone's stud OT .

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-30-2012, 11:55 PM
I didn't say Forsett would be as productive. My point is that he should at least be serviceable. Productive enough.

I think you guys have your homer glasses on.

The reason this trade wouldn't work is because no team is going to trade a starting caliber o lineman for Tate. Not because Tate is too valuable to trade.

When did I ever say trade Tate? much less trade him for a Olineman I've said all along Roll with Brooks and Forsett can produce for us I'm just saying my money is on Tate **** keep all 3 and that's a wrap

Cjeremy635
08-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I wasn't comfortable with our O-line so far this preseason and now we're even more depleted. While I think Winston had his fair share of issues with pass blocking last season, I still feel like he is a better option over what we have to work with at that position. We didn't upgrade that spot, we took a step backwards. I know it's a money game and you have to make certain cuts, but if that o-line fails, that impacts the entire damn offense. With the expectations of the players/organization/fans this year.....a step backwards would be a kick in the balls. I hope I'm over reacting, but my gut tells me I'm not. I truly hope someone pulls this thread back from the abyss in 6 months and points out that I was worried about nothing.

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Gardner starting at either tackle spot makes me ILL.

Hopefully they find someone on the waiver wire who can fill that void ....

Hell , I'd give Chester Pitts a call ..... :kitten:

Dutchrudder
08-31-2012, 12:03 AM
It's like deja vu all over again. What a waste of money this guy has been, it's a shame he didn't go to Washington, we might have drafted a competent tackle in 2011 if he wasn't re-signed.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 12:12 AM
It's like deja vu all over again. What a waste of money this guy has been, it's a shame he didn't go to Washington, we might have drafted a competent tackle in 2011 if he wasn't re-signed.

Ya exactly but at least we won't resign him now and use that money for Barwin,Schaub,GQ and Casey

Rey
08-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Ya exactly but at least we won't resign him now and use that money for Barwin,Schaub,GQ and Casey

Honestly I was planning on not re signing him regardless.

He was out there against back ups and he looked bad before the injury even happened.

Like really bad. If you can go back and watch him specifically. I said in the gameday thread before he was injured that we should cut him.

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 12:20 AM

Next years FA class is going to be brutal for the Texans .... :gun:

Rey
08-31-2012, 12:23 AM

Right now if you had to make a choice to bring back only two, which two are you choosing?

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 12:27 AM

Hell ya I know but better to get ahead of schedule and start making moves and clearing cap space now

Cjeremy635
08-31-2012, 12:27 AM

He was out there against back ups and he looked bad before the injury even happened.

Like really bad. If you can go back and watch him specifically. I said in the gameday thread before he was injured that we should cut him.

Yep. His play was sloppy & he looked lazy.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 12:29 AM

Agreed was never a fan especially after the Panthers game when he fell straight on his face against Applewhite forget his first name horrible

rolyat93
08-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Kareem McKenzie available?:kitten:

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 01:08 AM
Right now if you had to make a choice to bring back only two, which two are you choosing?

Was looking at the free agents if I'm choosing two Cush a no brainer and between Antonio,Wade smith and Tate I'm leaning towards Smith I love Antonio but can be replaced and Tate he gona want to much money/want to be a starter

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Just thinking if Cody's back isn't a issue would we/would you want to resign him?

PapaL
08-31-2012, 01:30 AM
There's a lot of stupid going on in this thread. I'm just staying away before this gets outta hand and I start popping off at the gums.

Trading Tate...smfh.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 01:31 AM
There's a lot of stupid going on in this thread. I'm just staying away before this gets outta hand and I start popping off at the gums.

Trading Tate...smfh.

Amen

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 02:13 AM

Way to put me on the spot there Rey ..... holy hell thats a tough decision.

I'll go with Schaub and GQ. Probably the opposite of most others ....

I think this offense looks significantly weaker without Schaub under center. He might not be a top 8 QB but you would have a hard time replacing him with a comparable QB.

What GQ allows Wade to do on the back end in nickle / dime packages is huge. Not many safeties in the league have his cover skills and tackling ability in the same package. For the most part he lines up as a linebacker in nickle / dime. Being able to cover that underneath area with a guy like GQ makes the job easier for Demps and Manning behind him. Manning gets a lot of credit .... but GQ is the glue back here IMO.

I love what Barwin has done but I believe he's more a product of the system. He's put up solid numbers elsewhere .... but not double digit sacks. Guy's get free in this defense like clockwork and you have Mercilus behind him should he betoo expensive.

Casey's a luxury guy .... a swiss army knife who isnt great at any one position but is more than servicable at several .... but not worth a huge dollar value. Would be nioce to lock him up with a team friendly deal.

SAMURAITEXAN
08-31-2012, 02:19 AM
I hope, our other T back ups can be effective. Because, less likely to find a decent T from final roster cut FAs. The best way is to look hard at our current roster and find someone that is able to back up T position.

Norg
08-31-2012, 02:24 AM
Kubes will prob signed a Vet or Cut victim from either The redskins Seattle or were ever else LOL

TheMatrix31
08-31-2012, 02:28 AM
Man I hate preseason.

Wolf6151
08-31-2012, 02:32 AM
Gardner will most likely be the new swing OT. I just wonder do we put Butler on IR or do we come to a medical agreement waiver with him?

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Gardner will most likely be the new swing OT. I just wonder do we put Butler on IR or do we come to a medical agreement waiver with him?

From what I've seen thus far in preseason, if Gardner becomes our new swing tackle, we might as well hang a custom sign around his neck with a message directed to opposing defenses........

http://highbaugh.goatley.com/Come_In.JPG

rmartin65
08-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah... not cool. I dont think Butler was an all-star or anything, but he was a serviceable swing tackle. A position of weakness gets weaker, fantastic.

drs23
08-31-2012, 10:19 AM

Trading Tate...smfh.

Amen

SMFH THREE! I'm now in WTF are you thinking mode. Need coffee..FT, I need a stiff drink!

Dutchrudder
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Really need the contract details to know what the IR situation is. I know he was going to make about 1.3 million this year, but it's possible that it all becomes guaranteed if he goes on IR. In any case, we paid him 3.8 million to play in 2 games... ughhhhhhh

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2012, 11:09 AM
The Butler , in the lobby , with an elbow .

Jackie Chiles
08-31-2012, 11:13 AM
From what I've seen thus far in preseason, if Gardner becomes our new swing tackle, we might as well hang a custom sign around his neck with a message directed to opposing defenses........

http://highbaugh.goatley.com/Come_In.JPG

So he looked about the same as Butler?

Porky
08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Out of all the moves over the offseason the one that kept gnawing at me was the move to cut Winston. The thing that bothered me the most was (per Winston) they never even came to him to see if he would restructure.

Winston was a solid vet, a great run blocker, adequate pass blocker, and most importantly part of that chemistry along the line that is really needed. Olines need to function as one. Replacing one cog in the machine is tough enough, but replacing two side by side when both of your replacements are not as good as what you had is just asking for trouble.

I've been praising Smith this offseason for the most part. And I realize in the salary cap era sometimes you have to make a tough decision ala Mario....but what sticks in my craw is not even going to the caveman and asking him to take a paycut or restructure. They said it would be an insult or some such nonsense. You know what's an insult Rick - Screwing the fans out of the best possible product. That's the insult.

Newton has some good athletic ability, and he has a bright future (I think) - but he is still raw. He's not quite ready for prime-time but he will have to do. To add insult to injury, the guy to his left is new too, a bad combo. I was not comfy with him out there already. Meanwhile the guy they were really counting on to take over the spot had a lousy camp and can't beat out Newton, and then goes on IR.

So we go from a good solid vet who never missed games, to an unproven 7th rd raw prospect. Not good Smithiak! :vincepalm:

SheTexan
08-31-2012, 12:06 PM
Go ahead :shetexan: Say it.

You told us so and nobody would listen.:bowdown:

LOL!! I was just sitting here wondering how many NEG reps I'd get if I posted what's really on my mind this morning! I'll refrain. What's done is done! I think we all know our Oline is in trouble, and so is MS!! Really sad when all we had to do was fork over a few mil bucks!:peek:

cuppacoffee
08-31-2012, 08:05 PM
LOL!! I was just sitting here wondering how many NEG reps I'd get if I posted what's really on my mind this morning! I'll refrain. What's done is done! I think we all know our Oline is in trouble, and so is MS!! Really sad when all we had to do was fork over a few mil bucks!:peek:

You've earned your cred.

Can't neg rep someone for being right.

Texn4life
08-31-2012, 08:40 PM
Geez Louise!!!!! The freaking season hasn't even started yet. How about waiting until meaningful games are played first! Man alive! No one has been proven right about anything. What happens if Winston goes out and is terrible this year? I just don't know what to say sometimes.

Corrosion
08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
You've earned your cred.

Eh , not many people have a hammer as big as hers .... She just needs to slap them back , when they go red , they get the picture.

SheTexan
08-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Geez Louise!!!!! The freaking season hasn't even started yet. How about waiting until meaningful games are played first! Man alive! No one has been proven right about anything. What happens if Winston goes out and is terrible this year? I just don't know what to say sometimes.

We can "what if" or "what happens IF" this topic till hell freezes over and nothing is gonna change what IS! Time will tell, and these new guys, whoever that might be, will get their chance to make that Oline jell once again! It's a TEAM and they all have to do their part.

SheTexan
08-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Eh , not many people have a hammer as big as hers .... She just needs to slap them back , when they go red , they get the picture.

Thanks, but, I gave up. The guy told me I offended HIM by making negative comments about a certain person with the Texan org that I detest! I truly don't want to offend anyone on this board, so I backed off.

Texn4life
08-31-2012, 10:24 PM
We can "what if" or "what happens IF" this topic till hell freezes over and nothing is gonna change what IS! Time will tell, and these new guys, whoever that might be, will get their chance to make that Oline jell once again! It's a TEAM and they all have to do their part.

Or we can keep bringing up players who aren't on the team anymore. The Patriots fans were upset when Richard Seymour was traded. They haven't missed a beat. The guys that people keep bringing up aren't walking through that locker room door anymore. Continuing to talk about what the FO did does no good, and it isn't gonna be known whether its a good or bad decision for a while. So lets talk about What IS! People freaking out over preseason make me laugh.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Or we can keep bringing up players who aren't on the team anymore. The Patriots fans were upset when Richard Seymour was traded. They haven't missed a beat. The guys that people keep bringing up aren't walking through that locker room door anymore. Continuing to talk about what the FO did does no good, and it isn't gonna be known whether its a good or bad decision for a while. So lets talk about What IS! People freaking out over preseason make me laugh.

Exactly that's what preseason is for to see what your weaknesses are then adjust when the season begins

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Here's your man if he can play Ryan Harris Tackle . He was cut by Denver but it wasn't that long ago he was considered the best young RT in the NFL . Then he hurt his back last year as part of the dream team .

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Here's your man if he can play Ryan Harris Tackle . He was cut by Denver but it wasn't that long ago he was considered the best young RT in the NFL . Then he hurt his back last year as part of the dream team .

Ya he has potential but do you really want another OT with injury issues a back issue is way more severe then freak torn triceps a la Tracy Mcgrady hahaha o my back

badboy
08-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Where is that darn post I linked with Chronicle's article about O Line coach Benton being a guru? He took Fig Newton & moulded him in one year to be a starter. He can surely take a gardner (pun) and make him an NFL backup. Nothing here to see but a dead body. Please snap your cell phone picture and move along to the next Texans injury.

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 11:18 PM

The Eagles planned starting him at right tackle in 2011. But during training camp, he suffered a herniated disk in his back in a preseason game. He required surgery to repair it. But what you may not know is that was his third career back surgery.........one while at Notre Dame, one just before his rookie Bronco season, and the last one just before being released last year by the Eagles. A herniated disc is not an uncommon problem with lineman, but can be a career burner in a significant number.

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Ya he has potential but do you really want another OT with injury issues a back issue is way more severe then freak torn triceps a la Tracy Mcgrady hahaha o my back

He's just a patch until they can address it through the draft .

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2012, 11:21 PM
The Eagles planned starting him at right tackle in 2011. But during training camp, he suffered a herniated disk in his back in a preseason game. He required surgery to repair it. But what you may not know is that was his third career back surgery.........one while at Notre Dame, one just before his rookie Bronco season, and the last one just before being released last year by the Eagles. A herniated disc is not an uncommon problem with lineman, but can be a career burner in a significant number.

If he's got anything left is the question then . He played a year or two with Shanahan so he knows what the Texans are doing .

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 11:22 PM
He's just a patch until they can address it through the draft .

I totally agree. wouldn't hurt to take a look, and have a backup u can have faith in if healthy

CloakNNNdagger
08-31-2012, 11:27 PM
If he's got anything left is the question then . He played a year or two with Shanahan so he knows what the Texans are doing .

I agree. But from what I've heard, he needs a patch more than the Texans do.
This is exactly why I still worry about Cody, since the Texans have avoided characterizing his injury (McClain has reported a disk one time and a lumbar muscle strain another). Either of those types of injuries, depending on their severity can become a recurrent chronic and/or progressive problem.

Lurvinator11
08-31-2012, 11:29 PM
You've earned your cred.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. None of us are right until it's all over. Hopefully, it will all be over at a celebration parade in Houston on a bright February morning next year. Let's just sit back and see what happens. I have faith everything will fall into place. But of course, I'm not right until it's proven, which we won't know until at least the end of the regular season.

Bleed_Blu_Red
08-31-2012, 11:37 PM
This is exactly why I still worry about Cody, since the Texans have avoided characterizing his injury (McClain has reported a disk one time and a lumbar muscle strain another). Either of those types of injuries, depending on their severity can become a recurrent chronic and/or progressive problem.

Exactly, I'm sweating Cody as well that's why I was surprised we cut Fangupo and King. Just to have insurance but hopefully he pulls thru Healthy all yr

Honoring Earl 34
08-31-2012, 11:38 PM

Can I have this guy Josh Johnson Quarterback ?

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Can I have this guy Josh Johnson Quarterback ?

Josh Johnson might have been a possibility if he were brought in earlier. But Yates is Kubiak's boy no matter what and Kubiak wouldn't have enough time to develop Johnson to see if he could replace Beck.

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Butler may be missed in the locker room, but he will not be missed on the field. I think the line will be fine. Will be interesting to see how often a TE covers the RT against the Dolphins.

SheTexan
09-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Butler may be missed in the locker room, but he will not be missed on the field. I think the line will be fine. Will be interesting to see how often a TE covers the RT against the Dolphins.

I was thinking about that this morning KT. We know Casey can block, and Graham looked pretty good during ps. Time will tell.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I was thinking about that this morning KT. We know Casey can block, and Graham looked pretty good during ps. Time will tell.

Hate to think about when Brown has to take a breather.:kitten:

GP
09-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Probably, like, every play. At least I would.

If it was me HC'ing the Texans on opening day, I'd be sliding protection to the RT. A lot.

Kaiser Toro
09-01-2012, 02:33 PM

I am not worried, Gardner has looked more than adequate this preseason from my views.

CloakNNNdagger
09-01-2012, 02:43 PM
I am not worried, Gardner has looked more than adequate this preseason from my views.

His limited lateral movement I've observed would scare me at LT.

Bulls on Parade
09-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Is Rashad Butler the next Bennie Joppru? He's the one guy that comes to my mind who had so much potential for the Texans (a Tight End) but was always injured. What a real shame Butler's career is turning out to be.

ChampionTexan
09-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Is Rashad Butler the next Bennie Joppru? He's the one guy that comes to my mind who had so much potential for the Texans (a Tight End) but was always injured. What a real shame Butler's career is turning out to be.

Bennie Joppru was a second round pick who was active for 1 game for us, Rashad Butler was free agent pickup who was active for 42 (and started 4).

welsh texan
09-02-2012, 12:14 PM

In fairness the guy was a good backup for us for a long time, the most theyve overinvested in him is a borderline starters contract for a borderline starter/backup. I was under the impression that he was more suited to playing LT than RT anyway which may explain why he wasnt as impressive as expected in preseason. I expect the oline to have an adjustment period now while the new guys find their feet in a system that relies on the group being in time as a unit, but am hopeful that the strength and experience on the left side can make the unit as a whole adequate if not a strength and am also sure that we can scheme to play to its strengths. Still find the lack of experienced AND quality players at the receiver position more of a worry, as good as the youngsters have flashed.

Just don't see this FO making a splash in FA to cover an injury at swing tackle, possibly one of their Bernard Pollard type signings a few games in if the right guy is there for them and its just not working.

Honoring Earl 34
09-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Bennie Joppru was a second round pick who was active for 1 game for us, Rashad Butler was free agent pickup who was active for 42 (and started 4).

We got Butler on the cheap because he couldn't keep weight on due to a Crohns like illnesses.

SheTexan
09-02-2012, 01:10 PM

They better strap an O2 tank on his back cause I doubt he gets much of one! :winky: