PDA

View Full Version : Mike Greenberg jinxs Texans 2012 season, calls them 'best team in football'

Playoffs
08-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Mike & Mike In The Morning is doing their 'Two-a-Days' on NFL teams and Mike Greenberg applies his notorious jinx on the Texans by not only predicting a 12-4 season but also stating the Houston team is "the best team in football" barring injuries.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff49/bobjester/russian-roulette.gif

They also went through an interesting exercise: You're betting your house, your child's education, whatever sum that represents your 1000% confidence ..... what NFL teams have zero chance of winning the Super Bowl this year?

nero THE zero
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
They also went through an interesting exercise: You're betting your house, your child's education, whatever sum that represents your 1000% confidence ..... what NFL teams have zero chance of winning the Super Bowl this year?

There are a lot, but I'd roll with the Arizona Cardinals.

GP
08-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Greenberg is a dooooooosh. Jets fan boy, and now he's all up in the Texans' business. I respect Golic's opinions much more.

Greenberg just seems like a weasel, the guy you love to hang out with and crack jokes with...but he's never around when you need him to help move furniture. Know what I mean? We all have a Greenberg or two in our personal lives. Amen?

gtexan02
08-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Id go with Jacksonville Jaguars. No chance of superbowl

ChampionTexan
08-29-2012, 10:16 AM

Id go with Jacksonville Jaguars. No chance of superbowl

I'll hedge my bet and call it a dead heat between the Dolphins and the Browns.

BigBull17
08-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Colts are gonna be pretty bad as well.

HOU-TEX
08-29-2012, 10:35 AM

They're going to be the worst, imo. Their oline was horrible to start and now they've lost LT Levi Brown for the season. They have no clue who their starting QB's going to be. It won't matter who starts because they're going to be getting crushed. The last preseason game I saw is how I have them projected to play. Horrible blocking = Very bad decisions by QB

The Pencil Neck
08-29-2012, 11:30 AM
We R Duumed.

There are a lot of teams I don't expect to get a whiff of the SB:
Jets, Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Titans, Jags, Colts, Chiefs, Redskins, Cowboys, Vikings, Buccs, Rams, and Cardinals.

It's hard to choose between those teams. I'll go with the Browns.

Hervoyel
08-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Miami Dolphins have zero chance of reaching the Super Bowl. If they somehow managed to do so it would be renamed the Super Bowel.

That's assuming their opponent was the Cardinals of course.

JCTexan
08-29-2012, 12:39 PM
The Browns are the team I would go with, followed closely by the Vikings. Both the Browns & Vikings have multiple teams inside their division that will be extremely hard to overtake (Bears, Packers, Steelers, Ravens) for a playoff spot.

Seņor Stan
08-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Here is the link to the podcast...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8312997

Let the had wringing and lamentation begin.

The Greenie curse is almost as powerful as the Madden Curse.

TheIronDuke
08-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Dolphins, they're going to be god-awful.

Lurvinator11
08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Here is the link to the podcast...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8312997

Let the had wringing and lamentation begin.

The Greenie curse is almost as powerful as the Madden Curse.

Let's not get too out of hand here. Can you actually name any instances where he names a team and they didn't succeed? I watch Mike and Mike in the morning, and honestly I don't take Greenberg as seriously as I do Golic. If Golic were to predict it, I would be a little more scared just because, curses are weird.

Hardcore Texan
08-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I predicted 12-4 season and a Superbowl win this year over 2 seasons ago, my prediction is stronger than Greenie's curse!

CretorFrigg
08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
When Bill Parcells was asked about a Super Bowl prediction, he predicted the Texans to win it all yesterday. :o

BigWig
08-29-2012, 03:53 PM
When Bill Parcells was asked about a Super Bowl prediction, he predicted the Texans to win it all yesterday. :o

I don't know if Tuna Love will be good karma or bad??

08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
What'd Golic say?

Seņor Stan
08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
What'd Golic say?

10-6 with the Texans running away with the division.

Seņor Stan
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Let's not get too out of hand here. Can you actually name any instances where he names a team and they didn't succeed? I watch Mike and Mike in the morning, and honestly I don't take Greenberg as seriously as I do Golic. If Golic were to predict it, I would be a little more scared just because, curses are weird.

Less of a curse, more of a jinx...

He has a propensity for having his predictions go awry. It's a running gag on the show. So much so that he quips that people in Houston are pulling over on the side of the road and crying because he picked the Texans. the 4:22 mark of the podcast.

Perki-Perk
08-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Miami Dolphins have zero chance of reaching the Super Bowl. If they somehow managed to do so it would be renamed the Super Bowel.

That's assuming their opponent was the Cardinals of course.

There's an idea! A game between the two worst teams and the winner gets the #1 pick!

Allstar
08-29-2012, 04:53 PM

He picked Texans Bears. I don't think he picked a winner.

CretorFrigg
08-29-2012, 05:37 PM
He picked Texans Bears. I don't think he picked a winner.

Oh, my bad -- I probably misheard it.

That's still quite a surprise. We're finally getting recognition.

welsh texan
08-30-2012, 05:31 AM
This is the classic NFL media train prediction. This guy has looked at what the team did last season, added back in all the inured guys, then projected our draft picks at 100% of their potential, and forgotten about what we've lost. I can't stand that type of lazy reporting.

I personally think between getting back the injured guys, losing the right side of the line and a few key (non starting) contributers, its pretty much down to how well our draft picks step up and the 2nd year guys come on, I'm fairly confident because I believe the changes we've made will build us to last for years, but I don't believe you can make statements like 'best team in football' just yet.

Sure, I think they have a chance to be at the top table this season, but it isn't a given.

Also saw Duane Brown claiming that our O is the best in football on NFL.com's first and 10 email, Duane is great and all but I'm concerned when I read him telling the local media how he's having to get on the ass of the right side of the line's new starters for a lack of effort in practice, then telling the national media that we're the best there is.

I'm happy with the off-season we've had because I can fully understand the line of thinking the FO have going forward, its just I'm unsure whether that gives us a progression on the field this year or whether we'll get ourselves into the playoffs and see what we can do then.

TheMatrix31
08-30-2012, 05:47 AM
I know the team will be hungry regardless, but I still hate being favorites or "near"-favorites. Too much attention.

HJam72
08-30-2012, 06:59 AM
What still concerns me most is the IF part. IF Schaub stays healthy. IF A.J. stays healthy. Heck, IF Cushing stays healthy (u never know who's going down). Schaub is one sack away from proving he has been injury prone his whole career and A.J. is one step away from proving he has been for 2 years now. Just because it's not their fault, they're doing everything they can to avoid it, and A.J. even laughs about it he finds it so unbelievable, doesn't really make it an impossibility.

PS-I do realize I worry about this issue every year. It would be a rare thing if I didn't worry about some player's health on the field.

Joe Texan
08-30-2012, 09:02 AM
All you girlie girls need to get your garlic and mistletoe so you can skip the punctured neck while kissing Santa Clause, stuff your superstitions up your backside we are gonna prove Greenie right

SheTexan
08-30-2012, 09:50 AM
I know the team will be hungry regardless, but I still hate being favorites or "near"-favorites. Too much attention.

My sentiments!! All this pre-season hype scares me. I BELIEVE in our team, and know without a doubt they will do everything possible to live up to the hype, but, I'd rather be the team that slips in the backdoor and kicks some a*s all the way to NOLA, than the one that is predicted to BE THERE and isn't! Color me jaded I guess. Just hesitant to get my hopes up. Reality truly sucks!!

ObsiWan
08-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Mike & Mike In The Morning

I'd have to go with the Brownies.

ObsiWan
08-30-2012, 10:05 AM

All these years various folks - on this board - have been whining "we don't get no respect."
"We don't get no love."
Now that we have finally earned some national attention/respect/"love", we's a skeerd of it.

:vincepalm:

Showtime100
08-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Mike & Mike In The Morning is doing their 'Two-a-Days' on NFL teams and Mike Greenberg applies his notorious jinx on the Texans by not only predicting a 12-4 season but also stating the Houston team is "the best team in football" barring injuries.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff49/bobjester/russian-roulette.gif

Quoted this post and read nothing since. Mike & Mike??? Really???

drs23
08-30-2012, 11:51 AM
All these years various folks - on this board - have been whining "we don't get no respect."
"We don't get no love."
Now that we have finally earned some national attention/respect/"love", we's a skeerd of it.

Took notice of that as well, huh?

What's a mother to do?

thunderkyss
08-30-2012, 02:27 PM
10-6 with the Texans running away with the division.

If 10-6 is "running away with the division" then our division sucks. If our division sucks..... we'll probably be 1 & done in the play-offs. Like the Colts & Chargers of years past, we'll be good, but not as good as we think... after dominating a weak division.

We'll be overconfident..... maybe even convinced we could "turn-it on" when we need to.

IMO, those are the things that will make this year the toughest for Kubiak. Success is a mother.

heymak
08-30-2012, 03:32 PM
There's an idea! A game between the two worst teams and the winner gets the #1 pick!

I like it. Play it instead of the Probowl and have a Probowl awards presentation at the half. 1st teamers only.

Trail.Blazr
08-30-2012, 04:30 PM
If 10-6 is "running away with the division" then our division sucks. If our division sucks..... we'll probably be 1 & done in the play-offs. Like the Colts & Chargers of years past, we'll be good, but not as good as we think... after dominating a weak division.

We'll be overconfident..... maybe even convinced we could "turn-it on" when we need to.

IMO, those are the things that will make this year the toughest for Kubiak. Success is a mother.

Don't tell that to last year's Giants.

thunderkyss
08-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Don't tell that to last year's Giants.

Did they run away with their division?

Three teams were in a fight for the division in the last two weeks of the season. The Cowboys could have won the division with a win over the Giants week 17.

b0ng
08-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Did they run away with their division?

Three teams were in a fight for the division in the last two weeks of the season. The Cowboys could have won the division with a win over the Giants week 17.

Everybody was 9-7 and all had gigantic glaring flaws going into the last few weeks.

thunderkyss
08-31-2012, 01:09 AM
Everybody was 9-7 and all had gigantic glaring flaws going into the last few weeks.

My point was that the Giants didn't run away with a 9-7 record. Three of those teams were still scrapping in the last two weeks for the division. They were overcoming adversity every step of the way.

Which is why I was so optimistic about the Texans chances of getting to the SuperBowl last year, the way they continued to overcome diversity. I still think we would have made it to the AFC Championship game if Gary didn't Kubiak us.

But it is what it is.

Allstar
08-31-2012, 01:16 AM
I like it. Play it instead of the Probowl and have a Probowl awards presentation at the half. 1st teamers only.

It should probably be loser gets the pick because QBs wouldn't want to play their heart out so their teams can replace them with the top pick.

TheMatrix31
08-31-2012, 01:28 AM
"We don't get no love."

Well, I never bitched about that.

Norg
08-31-2012, 01:32 AM
isnt any of the elite teams SB bound "Barring Injuries " LOL

SheTexan
08-31-2012, 07:52 AM
"We don't get no love."

What's wrong with being a little "skeerd?" After you've been burned a zillion times, you bet your sweet arse most folks are skeerd!! PERSONALLY, I detest the media, so I don't give a rat's behind what Mike & Mike say/predict, or any of the other bozo's who sit on their thron and make up crap. All the national attention/respect/love, etc, out there is not gonna change the outcome of a game. It's simply SOMEONE elses preception of the game.

conundrum
08-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Whelp, the bandwagon continues to grow. Not sure if it was posted but Bill Parcells picked us to go to the Super Bowl against the Bears earlier this week.

Mel Kiper Jr now just picked us to play the Packers in the New Orleans.

Hope this team can live up to the expectations of the media and the city of Houston and its fans worldwide!